Type keyword(s) to search

Like Sand Through an Hourglass: Behind the Scenes of DOOL

Message added by Door County Cherry

The Behind The Scenes thread is not a spoiler thread.  So spoilers, including casting information, do not belong in here.  The "behind the scenes" information specifically related to casting should go in either the spoiler thread or the Salem International thread which discusses. departures and arrivals thread. 

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, JBC344 said:

This is the Julie I would like to see more of.  Susan can really act, stop wasting her.

I agree. The show has had a love/hate relationship with the Hayes, ever since, they made some comments, in the early 80's, about the show, on a talk show and they were fired.  They were just venting about being on the back burner and did not like how Doug, was written as a bad guy,  in the Bo/Hope romance. Notice that Doug and Julie were not present at Bo and Hope's  first wedding in England.  They were barely mentioned for years.  Happy New Year! 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

I agree. The show has had a love/hate relationship with the Hayes, ever since, they made some comments, in the early 80's, about the show, on a talk show and they were fired.  They were just venting about being on the back burner and did not like how Doug, was written as a bad guy,  in the Bo/Hope romance. Notice that Doug and Julie were not present at Bo and Hope's  first wedding in England.  They were barely mentioned for years.  Happy New Year! 

My hope is that Julie really gets to shine in the Valerie's son storyline.  It seems pretty evident that he will be Julie's grandson via David.  I hope it is written well.

• Love 2

Seeing some speculation that Days could be impacted by the new Megyn Kelly daytime show.  I wonder if they would schedule another news magazine hour beyond the fourth hour of the Today show, but I wouldn't be that surprised if Days' number finally is up this time.

On 1/1/2017 at 10:32 PM, WendyCR72 said:

I had no idea what thread to put this in, so to the mods for this forum, move as you like!

I was bored and wanted to see a bit of old Days, before it was a total joke. Well, I came across a video of Hope leaving for boarding school in 1981, played by an actress named Tammy Taylor then, saying goodbye to half-sister (and later stepmom, how messed up!), Julie. The YT channel is actually that of Tammy Taylor herself! She has commented a bit. And the video quality is quite good.

So for those who have never seen non-Kristian Alfonso Hope, here's a peek:

Seeing this scene where Addie's feelings for Doug versus her feelings for Julie's father just reminds me that the only reason Hope is an heiress is because of Julie's father, since the money Hope inherited was Addie's portion of Julie's father's fortune.  It also brings to mind the fact that as much as Doug is treated as this great person, he is essentially a glorified gold-digger since he was with Julie, until Addie decided she wanted him and used her money to sink her claws into Doug the scammer.   He magically found his way back to Julie and her money once Addie was out of the picture.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, lska said:

Seeing some speculation that Days could be impacted by the new Megyn Kelly daytime show.  I wonder if they would schedule another news magazine hour beyond the fourth hour of the Today show, but I wouldn't be that surprised if Days' number finally is up this time.

My first thought when I heard the news was "There goes Days."

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Happytobehere said:

As someone who lives in this area, when they started messing with the time slots of Another World and Santa Barbara, it was the beginning of the end.  People thought it was a test to see if they would lose the viewer tuning into the soap in that slot.

God, I miss Santa Barbara. (Not the last year, the hot mess it became, but all before it.)

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Happytobehere said:

As someone who lives in this area, when they started messing with the time slots of Another World and Santa Barbara, it was the beginning of the end.  People thought it was a test to see if they would lose the viewer tuning into the soap in that slot.

To be fair, Days has been on in St. Louis at 2 p.m. for years and years. But I remember it being on at 12:30 in the '80s, and a few years ago they decided to try it at 1 p.m. for some reason. It has since gone back to 2 p.m. They also moved Y&R from its 4 p.m. time slot to like, 11:00 a.m. or something.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Kitty Redstone said:

The world does not need another talk show. 

It will be sad if Days is cancelled, but most especially if it's cancelled for her.

Megyn Kelly is a piece of work.  I don't want to offend people on here, by ranting, about the many ways, that, she has pissed me off, with her limited view, of the world.

• Love 5
On 1/10/2017 at 1:09 PM, Apprentice79 said:

Megyn Kelly is a piece of work.  I don't want to offend people on here, by ranting, about the many ways, that, she has pissed me off, with her limited view, of the world.

Not to mention the fact that her latest surge of notoriety is due to Trump.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

Marci Miller on today's Dishin Days

It's interesting that nobody gives her any Abigail backstory, and she has to learn it all herself.  That's kind of stupid.

Really delightful interview.  I liked her a lot.  Yeah, I'm surprised there isn't some formal or even informal way for someone from production to inform new actors, especially recasts their history.  The fact that she has to ask every cast member she is in a scene with if they know each other, or are related seems very strange.  Especially when she was talking about shooting her first scene with Missy Reeves and she didn't find out until after that Jennifer had an addiction issue and how if she knew she would of played the scene differently.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, JBC344 said:

The fact that she has to ask every cast member she is in a scene with if they know each other, or are related seems very strange.  Especially when she was talking about shooting her first scene with Missy Reeves and she didn't find out until after that Jennifer had an addiction issue and how if she knew she would of played the scene differently.

This in a nutshell is what's wrong with this show. I don't understand how you can bring on a recast and not tell them which characters they have relationships with. The incompetence is staggering. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, LeftPhalange said:

This in a nutshell is what's wrong with this show. I don't understand how you can bring on a recast and not tell them which characters they have relationships with. The incompetence is staggering. 

I agree.  It seems like they just gave her the basics of this is your mother, brother, husband, baby, and your returning from the dead.  ACTION!!!!  Everything else it seems she has to find out on her own.  Now I'm even more impressed with Marci.

• Love 3

The show is too damn cheap to hire someone in production or have a producer take some time to let the recast know what's what. They hire young people who can't act probably because they will work for next to nothing. The sets are an embarrassment.

This new revelation from Marci is just another example of what is wrong with this show.

• Love 3

I don't know if this is the right thread for the question, so moderator feel free to move is necessary.

Is Greg Vaughan back to DOOL on a permanent basis?  Or is this a drive by?  Is he still working on that Oprah Winfrey showed based in New Orleans?  Queen Sugar (I think)?  

Greg will be back on the next season of Queen Sugar. His hair and beard today on Days was the same style as his character on Queen Sugar so that tells me he was doing both. I think Greg will be doing both shows again so he might not have a whole lot of time on Days but at least some. It depends how much time he will have on Queen Sugar. I am just happy we get him back on Days!

From what I hear GV  smartly has DAYS in second position to Queen Sugar so DAYS has to work around his availability when he's not on QS. I think after they dumped him so abruptly the last time he's not going to bend over backwards to accommodate but he ain't turning down money either.

To DAYS' credit they wanted him back and agreed to whatever he asked his agent to work out so they realize Eric needs a better end to his story than being sent to prison after killing a good friend. I'd hazard that he'll be similar to what they pull on GH (and what Wally Kurth does) where characters pop in for a few weeks/months at a time and then he'll be off while filming QS.

My mom still can't believe he's the same guy. I showed her side by side pics of him as Eric pre-prison and his look on QS and she was like 'Whoa'.

• Love 2

Can't blame him. Not a wise move professionally, but he's right. The show has lost a lot of our respect and I can't even fathom what it's like behind-the-scenes.

Everything Chase/Ciara in 2016 was a low for television in general. Poorly thought-out and executed and in such bad taste.

Getting fired with little warning is not rare in TV and film and stage work though...

• Love 3

It appears Paige Searcy is the actress Jonathon McClendon is referring to in his tweet about a friend being let go without knowing. Paige (ex-Jade) did a live Instagram video last night and she said she had one more day of filming, but never received the shooting info (I know there is a name for it- shoot list?). She asked James (Joey) if he got his and he did, and the new actress was listed under Jade. Paige she said went to the studio and they would not let her in. She later sent flowers to everyone, and then when she visited again, they let her in. She said she was very "bitter" about it but six months later she is now over it, and didn't have unkind words about the new Jade.

She did confirm that she is dating James. She also said she had to admit the writing on Days is not too good recently.

Edited by AManfred
  • Love 4

I've always thought that one of the reasons Days couldn't keep young actors was because TIIC treated them like shit.  While it sounds like a treacherous and toxic environment for ALL of the actors, it must be especially difficult for the young ones who don't yet have the life experience to navigate through it. 

• Love 4

One could go back and look at nearly every issue of Soap Opera Digest since the 1970s and read some snippet/comment/article about an actor being blindsided/replaced/fired.  Every actor knows it can happen -- or should.  Daytime used to have a lousy reputation, then earned a nice level of respectability in the 80s/90s as a place to learn the skills one needed to have a successful career and make a decent living. 

I suspect it's back to being as cut-throat and dead-end as it was in those days, with newbie actors barely eking out a living, having to live with roomies, and booking alternate gigs.

Still better than waiting tables at Applebees --- like dozens of other "actors".

Edited by SanDiegoInExile
  • Love 2

Jen Lilley / Theresa is probably going to foster more children. She mentioned applying and purchasing bunk beds; that even though it's intense to go from a childless home to a multi child home so quickly the need of the children is too great. 

• Love 5

Spotlight On interview with James Reynolds.  What a lovely man.  Love that he, Roman, and Shane are good friends in real life.  Also he and Ari Zucker (Nicole) are close. Loved that he revealed that he and Ari always play their scenes like they are father and daughter.

• Love 6

Emmy PreNom 2017

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES

Kristian Alfonso, as Hope Williams Brady Days of Our Lives, NBC
Sharon Case, as Sharon McAvoy The Young and the Restless, CBS
Melissa Claire Egan, as Chelsea Newman The Young and the Restless, CBS
Mary Beth Evans, as Kayla Brady Days of Our Lives, NBC
Nancy Lee Grahn, as Alexis Davis General Hospital, ABC
Jen Lilley, as Theresa Donovan Black Days of Our Lives, NBC
Gina Tognoni, as Phyllis Newman The Young and the Restless, CBS
Heather Tom, as Katie Logan The Bold and the Beautiful, CBS
Jess Walton, as Jill Abbott The Young and the Restless, CBS
Laura Wright, as Carly Corinthos General Hospital, ABC

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES 

Maurice Benard, as Sonny Corinthos General Hospital, ABC
Peter Bergman, as Jack Abbott The Young and the Restless, CBS
Scott Clifton, as Liam Spencer The Bold and the Beautiful, CBS
Billy Flynn, as Chad DiMera Days of Our Lives, NBC
Roger Howarth, as Franco General Hospital, ABC
Vincent Irizarry, as Deimos Kiriakis Days of Our Lives, NBC
Christian LeBlanc, as Michael Baldwin The Young and the Restless, CBS
John McCook, as Eric Forrester The Bold and the Beautiful, CBS
Kristoff St. John, as Neil Winters The Young and the Restless, CBS
Jason Thompson, as Billy Abbott The Young and the Restless, CBS

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES 

Eileen Davidson, as Ashley Abbott The Young and the Restless, CBS
Judi Evans, as Adrienne Kiriakis Days of Our Lives, NBC
Stacy Haiduk, as Patty Williams The Young and the Restless, CBS
Amelia Heinle, as Victoria Newman The Young and the Restless, CBS
Elizabeth Hendrickson, as Chloe Fisher The Young and the Restless, CBS
Finola Hughes, as Anna Devane General Hospital, ABC
Anna Maria Horsford, as Vivian Avant The Bold and the Beautiful, CBS
Kate Mansi, as Abigail Deveraux Days of Our Lives, NBC
Michelle Stafford, as Nina Reeves General Hospital, ABC
Kelly Sullivan, as Sage Warner The Young and the Restless, CBS

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES 

John Aniston, as Victor Kiriakis Days of Our Lives, NBC
Obba Babatundé, as Julius Avant The Bold and the Beautiful, CBS
Steve Burton, as Dylan McAvoy The Young and the Restless, CBS
Sean Carrigan, as Ben “Stitch” Rayburn The Young and the Restless, CBS
Chad Duell, as Michael Corinthos General Hospital, ABC
Bryton James, as Devon Hamilton The Young and the Restless, CBS
Wally Kurth, as Justin Kiriakis Days of Our Lives, NBC
Jeffrey Vincent Parise, as Carlos Rivera/Dr. Joe Rivera General Hospital, ABC
James Reynolds, as Abe Carver Days of Our Lives, NBC
Dominic Zamprogna, as Dante Falconeri General Hospital, ABC

OUTSTANDING YOUNGER ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES

Lexi Ainsworth, as Kristina Corinthos Davis General Hospital, ABC
Camila Banus, as Gabi Hernandez Days of Our Lives, NBC
Reign Edwards, as Nicole Avant The Bold and the Beautiful, CBS
Hayley Erin, as Kiki Jerome General Hospital, ABC
Olivia Keegan, as Claire Brady Days of Our Lives, NBC
Hunter King, as Summer Newman The Young and the Restless, CBS
Chloe Lanier, as Nelle Hayes General Hospital, ABC
Alyvia Alyn Lind, as Faith Newman The Young and the Restless, CBS
Paige Searcy, as Jade Michaels Days of Our Lives, NBC

OUTSTANDING YOUNGER ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES 

Jared Breeze, as Max Rayburn The Young and the Restless, CBS
Bryan Craig, as Morgan Corinthos General Hospital, ABC
Rome Flynn, as Zende Forrester Dominguez The Bold and the Beautiful, CBS
Pierson Fodé, as Thomas Forrester The Bold and the Beautiful, CBS
James Lastovic, as Joey Johnson Days of Our Lives, NBC
Kyler Pettis, as Theo Carver Days of Our Lives, NBC
Tequan Richmond, as TJ Ashford General Hospital, ABC
Anthony Turpel, as R.J. Forrester The Bold and the Beautiful, CBS

Rena Sofer missed the list...  how

• Love 5

Damn how old is Hunter King and Camilla Banus???  I feel like they have been on the young actress list forever and a day.   Camilla was hardly on last yr. 

Kate Mansi made the list again.   I can't fucking even.   Let me guess she turned in her burning Ben in the bed and her ghostly white makeup self at Shady Hills. 

7 minutes ago, LeftPhalange said:

Of course Kate Mansi gets a nom.

She was actually on Twitter the other night claiming everyone's prenom tape looked good.  They must all had a watching party. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, carrier76 said:

The kid who plays JOEY got a prenom?!?!  JOEY? 

No prenom for Ari Zucker? Huh.

......JOEY?

He probably turned in all that stuff with killing Ava. 

AZ could had got something for the Daniel stuff but her story throughout the yr was choppy and she shared scenes with Irizarry in that bizarre story setup.   Suzanne Rogers should had been in supporting fro the Daniel dying stuff. 

Edited by BlackMamba
  • Love 3

I'm kind of loving that Mansi's prenom is now in Supporting as opposed to the Lead actress she believed herself to be and I choose to focus on the awesome prenoms:

Kristian Alfonso, as Hope Williams Brady Days of Our Lives, NBC
Mary Beth Evans, as Kayla Brady Days of Our Lives, NBC
Jen Lilley, as Theresa Donovan Black Days of Our Lives, NBC

Three very talented women who definitely deserve to be recognized :)

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

I'd love to see Judi Evans get a nom and Mansi get bupkus.

Pretty much everyone listed in the prenom deserves a nomination--with the exception of Mansi.  Seriously, her over the top dramatics stacked up against actual talented women like Judi and Finola Hughes in particular is such a massive joke.

• Love 2
On 1/25/2017 at 10:18 AM, carrier76 said:

The kid who plays JOEY got a prenom?!?!  JOEY? 

It has been standard practice that every under-25 actor who submits for nomination is automatically granted a pre-nom.  Several other message boards have cited this as being the case for the past decade or so.