Type keyword(s) to search

Like Sand Through an Hourglass: Behind the Scenes of DOOL

Message added by Door County Cherry

The Behind The Scenes thread is not a spoiler thread.  So spoilers, including casting information, do not belong in here.  The "behind the scenes" information specifically related to casting should go in either the spoiler thread or the Salem International thread which discusses. departures and arrivals thread. 

• Start Topic

On 1/30/2017 at 6:27 PM, ulkis said:

Has anyone noticed Tyler Christopher and some DAYS exec are following each other on twitter? Could it mean anything?

Maybe he's coming to town as Alex Kiriakis?

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, boes said:

Maybe he's coming to town as Alex Kiriakis?

He is too old to play him. Alex was at most 3 years older than Sonny....I am being generous.  It could really be 1 year.  The twins were a few months old, when Adrienne found out that she was pregnant with Sonny.

• Love 1

Jen Lilley was online asking for the biggest makeup challenge ideas. I gave her a few my guru friend did and tagged them both. Very interesting. I wonder if she's going to have a beauty channel or blog.

She's cranking out those TV movies and working on her music and foster mom of a toddler. So she def doesn't need it....but it would be interesting. I think she'd be actually a good guru or beauty blogger. 

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

AfterBuzz will be interviewing Higley Sunday.  That should be interesting.

Is it the Dishin Days guys who are conducting the interview?  If so, I'm really excited.  Sometimes they have other hosts who don't cover Days who conduct them.  Hoping it's Tony, Mark, and Matthew.

Yeah, I saw the post that Steve/Steven Nichols would be interviewed.  I suspect that NBC/Corday probably had Higlemonster sign some sort of non-disclosure contract, which would be standard to prevent revealing of show secrets/future plot lines.  I'm certain when word of her interview got out; she and her representatives got that call letting her know she would be dragged for filth, the dirt they must have on her based on what has filtered out over the years must be massive, and its impact on her career if she went on an "I'm the innocent victim" tour.

Edited by Happytobehere
  • Love 1
On 2/10/2017 at 11:29 PM, Happytobehere said:

Yeah, I saw the post that Steve/Steven Nichols would be interviewed.  I suspect that NBC/Corday probably had Higlemonster sign some sort of non-disclosure contract, which would be standard to prevent revealing of show secrets/future plot lines.  I'm certain when word of her interview got out; she and her representatives got that call letting her know she would be dragged for filth, the dirt they must have on her based on what has filtered out over the years must be massive, and its impact on her career if she went on an "I'm the innocent victim" tour.

What was the dirt? I suck at finding out news on Higley. I couldn't even find out when she returned from her leave of absense (pre-firing). 

1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

Galren Gering and Billy Flynn were tweeting back and forth last night about how the real OTP is Rafe and Chad, and Chad just keeps Gabi around to get close to Rafe.

(Not to be dense, but what does OTP mean?)

• Love 2

I kinda find it funny how much people hate Rafe/Galen.  True, he's not the world's best actor, but no one on Days is that great in my opinion.  And the character of Rafe is a bit boring, fine, but he's not that bad.  So I'm just mostly indifferent towards both the character and the actor.  He and Hope have potential if the writing ever gets better.

• Love 1

Do people really "hate" Galen?  Is that an actual thing? 

I personally have no problem with the man.  He seems like a nice enough guy.  The only real experience I have of him is when he did that Soap reality show with Nadia a few years ago. 

With Rafe, I find the character to be very sanctimonious, especially considering his history on the show.  I also happen to think the worse thing for his character was/is his pairing with Hope.  His pairings with Sami, Kate, flirtation with Carrie, and friendship with Nicole I have found all pleasurable and even interesting.  The Hope pairing is just a bad storyline for him.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, JBC344 said:

Do people really "hate" Galen?  Is that an actual thing? 

I personally have no problem with the man.  He seems like a nice enough guy.  The only real experience I have of him is when he did that Soap reality show with Nadia a few years ago. 

With Rafe, I find the character to be very sanctimonious, especially considering his history on the show.  I also happen to think the worse thing for his character was/is his pairing with Hope.  His pairings with Sami, Kate, flirtation with Carrie, and friendship with Nicole I have found all pleasurable and even interesting.  The Hope pairing is just a bad storyline for him.

You're right, I would hope that no one actually hates Galen.  No one knows him.  I follow him on Instagram because he posts pretty pictures of ski slopes.

I think all characters are a bit sanctimonious; seems to be the nature of soap operas, in my opinion.  I guess I personally can't hold that against just one character.  I also understand that maybe the chemistry is lacking with Hope.  But, no one will ever be Bo...  Rafe is at least way better than Aiden!

5 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

You're right, I would hope that no one actually hates Galen.  No one knows him.  I follow him on Instagram because he posts pretty pictures of ski slopes.

I think all characters are a bit sanctimonious; seems to be the nature of soap operas, in my opinion.  I guess I personally can't hold that against just one character.  I also understand that maybe the chemistry is lacking with Hope.  But, no one will ever be Bo...  Rafe is at least way better than Aiden!

Aiden was much better than Rafe before the show trashed him twice for Rafe. Rafe is boring and he should have been written out years ago.  Personally, I liked Aiden with Kayla. They sparkled at the Horton square in a scene together before the Wilson wedding. Sadly, this show has never given Kayla a viable love interest after Steve's "death". It is about time that Steve fight a rival for Kayla's love.  Instead of Kayla having to fight off Steve's psycho exes in Marina, Britta and Ava. I liked Kayla with Mike  Horton as well.

• Love 4

Not sure where to put this, but it is related to a Days actor: According to TVShowsOnDVD.com, you'll soon have a chance to catch a young Macdonald Carey on DVD. Apparently, a 1959 series of his called Lock Up is having its first season come out on DVD!

On 2/27/2017 at 9:01 PM, Silver Raven said:

Scott Reeves is in the hospital with health problems.

I wonder howtathey live in Nashville, if Missy is in LA taping all the time.

https://soaphub.com/general-soap-news/steve-burton-scott-reeves-real-life-health-scare/

The show only tapes every 3 weeks out of 4 (roughly).  In addition, most of the actors only work a few days a week and know their schedule well in advance. The producers/writers all know that MR lives out of state and likely plot her tapings to accommodate that travel.  It's likely also spelled out as part of her contract.  It may be why we don't always see Jennifer at certain Salem Events where she should logically appear.  I believe the Reeves have lived in TN for a long time.  Eric Martsolf and his family live in Las Vegas.  Admittedly, it's a bit easier to get to LA from Vegas than Nashville, but it's not like they are being called into the studio for sudden tapings.

ETA>> Looks like they moved to TN in 2006, when their daughter was 14.  Seems they just sold their house 3 months ago:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/williamson/2016/11/18/nashville-actor-scott-reeves-sells-leipers-fork-home/94068092/

Acting couple Gregory Scott Reeves and Melissa Reeves have sold their Leiper's Fork home to photographer Ash Newell.

The home sold for $2,225,000 last month, according to county records.

The two-story, more than 4,000-square-foot home, sits on nearly 20 acres in the Leiper's Fork area, which is about 30 miles south of Nashville. The listing boasts of "country living at its best" with a chicken coop and room for goats.

Scott Reeves is known for his role as Noel Laughlin on ABC's "Nashville" as well as Ryan McNeil on "The Young and the Restless" and Steven Webber on "General Hospital." Melissa Reeves starred as Jennifer Horton on "Days of Our Lives."

The family moved to the Nashville area when their daughter Emily was 14 years old so Scott Reeves could pursue a career in country music. Since then, Emily Reeves has followed in her father's footsteps and pursued a music career.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, SanDiegoInExile said:

Scott Reeves is known for his role as Noel Laughlin on ABC's "Nashville"...

Does anyone here also watch Nashville?  Can you tell me who Noel Laughlin was?  I've seen every episode except the most recent one, and I can't remember a character by that name...

25 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Does anyone here also watch Nashville?  Can you tell me who Noel Laughlin was?  I've seen every episode except the most recent one, and I can't remember a character by that name...

He's Scarlett and Gunnar's manager. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, MsTree said:

What did she go through?

Not sure, considering Wikipedia says this - "She has described her childhood as "wonderful" with "loving parents and siblings to lean on", although Bjorlin recalls being "oblivious" to racial tensions going on in Sweden. Although she never attended school there, a few of her siblings did and she remembers them talking about how they "experienced some torment" from classmates due to being half-Iranian."  It says she moved a lot for her father's job, but doesn't describe any other hardships.  She went to school in the United States.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Sonoma said:

Nadia was allegedly one of the young girls targeted by Jeffrey Epstein. It was a couple of years ago where it was all over the news, and the stories have "changed" depending on the person and time of the interviews. Nadia was outed by some sites but most of it has been removed from the internet. I believe it happened, only because I'd heard he was allegedly still calling and harassing her after she had been hired by DAYS.  And if it is indeed true, I can imagine it left a lot of emotional scars.

Holy crap! I never heard any of this before and just spent 2 hours down a rabbit hole reading about all this. I found quite a few places with her mentioned, one site as recently as a month ago.  And here I thought "what she went through" was referring to her mother and what a piece of work she is, not all this crazy horrible stuff.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Cupcake04 said:

Holy crap! I never heard any of this before

I didn't hear about it either...and in fact, I don't even know who Jeffrey Epstein is.  Can someone fill me in? Thanks to all the replies.

1 hour ago, MsTree said:

I didn't hear about it either...and in fact, I don't even know who Jeffrey Epstein is.  Can someone fill me in? Thanks to all the replies.

A billionaire financial investor who is a pedophile and has a girlfiend who facilitates finding girls he likes and Nadia is linked to him. Some things I read said he approached her to become part of his "harem" (for lack of a better word), others said she was definitely involved as late as 2005. Some think he is either MI5 or CIA agent which is how he has gotten away with it since many high profile people like Prince Andrew and Bill Clinton were aware and did nothing. He did get arrested and got a sweet plea deal, which is another reason why they think he is a spy. It is some sick twisted crazy stuff that I never read about until last night.. Google his name with Nadia name, but be prepared to go down rabbit hole for a while!

• Love 1

I vaguely remember hearing Nadia's name when the story broke years ago.  When they finally arrested Jeffrey it was a huge story because of his fame and connections.  I think there was a concerted effort to keep the focus on him and not the women who were involved so they could retain some sort of "privacy" after what they went through. 

To my knowledge Nadia has never spoken about it publicly and I don't blame her.  I'm glad it seems like she was able to put it behind her and move on with her life, first with Brandon, and now with her husband and new family.

• Love 1

DAYTIME EMMY NOMINEES ANNOUNCED

OUTSTANDING DAYTIME DRAMA SERIES

B&B

DAYS

GH

Y&R

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES

Nancy Lee Grahn (Alexis, GH)

Gina Tognoni  (Phyllis, Y&R)

Heather Tom (Katie, B&B)

Jess Walton (Jill, Y&R) (how??) 

Laura Wright (Carly, GH)

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES

Peter Bergman (Jack, Y&R)

Scott Clifton (Liam, B&B)

Billy Flynn (Chad, DAYS)

Vincent Irizarry (Deimos, DAYS)

Kristoff St. John (Neil, Y&R)

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES

Stacy Haiduk  (Patty, Y&R)

Finola Hughes (Anna, GH)

Anna Maria Horsford  (Vivian, B&B)

Kate Mansi (Abigail, DAYS) ?

Kelly Sullivan (Sage, Y&R) 

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES

John Aniston (Victor, DAYS)

Steve Burton (Dylan, Y&R)

Chad Duell (Michael, GH)

Jeffrey Vincent Parise (Carlos/Joe, GH)

James Reynolds (Abe, DAYS)

Dominic Zamprogna (Dante, GH)

OUTSTANDING YOUNGER ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES

Lexi Ainsworth (Kristina, GH)

Reign Edwards (Nicole, B&B)

Hunter King (Summer, Y&R)

Chloe Lanier (Nelle, GH)

Alyvia Alyn Lind, (Faith, Y&R)

OUTSTANDING YOUNGER ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES

Bryan Craig (Morgan, GH)

Pierson Fodé (Thomas, B&B)

James Lastovic (Joey, DAYS)

Tequan Richmond (TJ, GH)

Anthony Turpel (R.J., B&B)

Edited by BlackMamba

Nothing for Suzanne as Maggie? Wow. All those 2016 tears for nothing.

Kate Mansi is....no comment.

Yay for Billy Flynn and John Aniston.

A bit bummed Jen Lilley isn't nominated. She did have a reel, right?

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

The kid who plays Joey is nominated and not the kid who plays Theo?  Are they joking?  What are they watching?

The problem with Emmy nominations is that they're entirely based on the reel of shows that the actors or shows present.  You are only as good as your reel, and not your overall body of work.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

The problem with Emmy nominations is that they're entirely based on the reel of shows that the actors or shows present.  You are only as good as your reel, and not your overall body of work.

I guess Joey may have had one standout day or two, when seen in a vacuum.  And he has improved since the beginning.  But still, Theo is better on any given day.  (Sorry, I don't know all of the actors' real names, so it's easier to refer to the characters.)

• Love 2

Here's what KM turned in. 

I'm calling it now she's probably going to win because the Emmys loves over the top and dramatic reels. (Excuse me while I start vomiting ?).  I still hope Stacy Haiduk or Anna Maria Horsford takes this supporting category. Please soap gods real actors need to win. Please! ?

KMs EMMY SUBMISSION...

Supporting Actress nominee KM submitted the episodes where Abigail lights Ben on fire, plus scenes at Shady Hills. The Daytime Emmy rules have changed this year, and actors may submit scenes from up to four episodes (instead of two) now. 

Episode # 12820 (4/8/16)
Abigail claims to Ben that she's unhappy with Chad, wants to run away with Ben. She seduces him into going upstairs with her, where she stabs him with scissors, knocks him up and ties him up. She then, finally, answers Chad's call, says she's fine. Afterwards, she douses Ben with lighter fluid and lights a match. 

Episode # 12821 (4/11/16)
Abigail tosses a match onto the bed and sets Ben on fire. Chad rushes in and manages to put out the flames – which greatly upsets Abigail. She flees downstairs, and Chad follows. Abigail lashes out at him for stopping her, insisting she needed to kill Ben to stop him from ever hurting her or Thomas again. Chad gets her to recount what happened, Abigail whispers to Thomas that she’s going to kill Ben. 

Episode # 12832 (4/26/16)
Chad convinces Abigail to sign herself in to Shady Hills. Abigail’s sedated, has a nightmare that Ben shows up and strangles her with a necktie. She fears it will come true. She’ll never be safe. 

Episode # 12870 (6/22/16)
Abigail is struggling at Shady Hills, now realizing – despite her memory lapse – that it’s possible she’s the one who set the near-deadly fire. JJ tries to console her but she fears the worst. She just wants to go home. JJ, his heart breaking, has to tell her they might send her to another facility… with more security. Also, Marlena visits Abigail and tries to calm her.

Edited by BlackMamba
8 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

That's true.  The committee or however this busted system works doesn't watch these shows every day like we do.  They only watch the best 2-4 hrs of an actress or actor material.  It's no wonder you don't see more deserving names or the same names on these lists year after year.  VI's Deimos story started like shit and has continued to be shit but depending what episodes he submitted,  the committee will only see a flawless actor based off the reels and his name has weight with Emmy voters too since he's won twice before.  Same can be said about Jess Walton.  I love her don't get me wrong.  She had some good scenes when Jill found out about Phyllis and Billy screwing around and Billy almost dying when Jason Thompson took over the role.  I can't remember what else JW did on YR in 2016 that makes me think she should had been in the lead actress category.  But again I don't vote for these things. 

Edited by BlackMamba
  • Love 1

Supporting Actress nominee KM submitted the episodes where Abigail lights Ben on fire, plus scenes at Shady Hills. The Daytime Emmy rules have changed this year, and actors may submit scenes from up to four episodes (instead of two) now.

That's an interesting change, which gets the Emmys a little closer to honoring an arc of storytelling, instead of incentivizing Emmy-bait.

It's... interesting that not one actress was nominated for Dena's material.  Josh Griffith's show was certainly a mess last year in its own right, but it says a lot.