Type keyword(s) to search

Like Sand Through an Hourglass: Behind the Scenes of DOOL

Message added by Door County Cherry

The Behind The Scenes thread is not a spoiler thread.  So spoilers, including casting information, do not belong in here.  The "behind the scenes" information specifically related to casting should go in either the spoiler thread or the Salem International thread which discusses. departures and arrivals thread. 

• Start Topic

Yup, they are finishing up May Sweeps 2017 this week.  June is always heavily pre-empted, with French Open and some golf, so they probably have half of June in the can as well.  News of a renewal (or non-renewal) will come at some point in December/January.  Scripts are generally plotted and written 3-4 months prior to taping. so seems likely that they have scripts in process for summer 2017.  The current contract with NBC runs until mid-September 2017, so if NBC gets out of the daytime serial business, they will have a few weeks of new material to close down Salem once and for all.  It would likely be Return-A-Palooza.

That said, I suspect that NBC has no better plan for its midday and the show will keep getting renewals until Corday decides to stop production.

Some tidbits...

-Jen actually slapped Eric hard across the nose before storming out of the church.

-Jen almost threw up after her scenes with Eric and Casey.

-Jen played her scenes with Casey as though Theresa was passing along advice to an older Tate.

-Jen is interested in continuing with the show on a recurring basis.

-Jen joked that Brady got over Theresa in 10 minutes.

-Jen said that the storyline was very believable because her father is a judge and her family was repeatedly threatened while she was growing up.

• Love 3

We were lucky to have him all these years.

And reading his obit, seeing he suffered with Alzheimer's, my hat is off to him for the work he was still able to turn in and I appreciate the showrunners for treating him with respect and caring.

• Love 15

I feel gut-punched. Joe really IS Days of our Lives, to me. He made it all so much fun. :( :( :(

I had hoped he'd get more time than this with his loved ones after he left the show. Looking back he probably stayed longer than most would in his circumstances. He only got what...a year with his family once he retired?

....so upset right now. Hard to fathom this.

• Love 9

Been on the verge of tears every since the news of Joe's death broke out. Such a talented man. He was, in my opinion, the greatest villan that Days ever had. He brought the bad, but when it came to his family, he brought the emotion onscreen. Just knowing that when he left Days that he lived about a year was a true testament to the skill of the actor and the heart of the man. He will truly be missed and his loss will be felt for many years to come. 

• Love 6

A now-defunct YouTube channel had a video of Marlena's first meeting with Stefano and I saved it because it was so good.  That was when Days was exciting and Joe made it a lot of fun to watch.  Who could forget all of the action scenes with Wayne Northrup and Deidre Hall? I didn't get to watch in the 80s so this YouTuber's videos showed me how great Days truly was when Stefano was written well.

He and Lauren Koslow had some magic together too and the years she was married to Stefano were some of my favorites.

RIP, Joe.  I also feel bad he didn't have more time with his family after retirement.  

Edited by Polaris
  • Love 8

Did you all know that Joe's parent's lived long enough to celebrate their 80th anniversary in 2008?  His father died shortly thereafter and his mother lived on until 2010, both of them in decent health considering their ages - his father 108 when he died, his mother 110 years old.  Joe probably thought he was good for a few more, considering his genes and then he gets hit with Alzheimers.

Ain't a fair world, is it?

• Love 11
51 minutes ago, boes said:

Did you all know that Joe's parent's lived long enough to celebrate their 80th anniversary in 2008?  His father died shortly thereafter and his mother lived on until 2010, both of them in decent health considering their ages - his father 108 when he died, his mother 110 years old.  Joe probably thought he was good for a few more, considering his genes and then he gets hit with Alzheimers.

Ain't a fair world, is it?

Tragic. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, boes said:

We were lucky to have him all these years.

And reading his obit, seeing he suffered with Alzheimer's, my hat is off to him for the work he was still able to turn in and I appreciate the showrunners for treating him with respect and caring.

He had an amazing work ethic. DAYS has been very fortunate with its older actors. They have added so much heart to the show over the years. 

• Love 11

I just woke up and immediately got this news.  This is so, so sad.  I hope his fellow cast members have good things to say about him.

RIP, Mr. Mascolo.  I hope you've reunited with your parents in heaven.

• Love 4

What always made Stefano so much fun was Joe.  He clearly had so much fun in the role that it was impossible to resist.  No matter how bizarre, frustrating, or confusing the stories, Stefano was always entertaining and Joe was a gem of an actor. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Michel said:

I just woke up and immediately got this news.  This is so, so sad.  I hope his fellow cast members have good things to say about him.

RIP, Mr. Mascolo.  I hope you've reunited with your parents in heaven.

I've been reading all night tweets from several past and present cast members and keep on starting with the tears. So many touching words from everyone, but it was Billy Flynn who had me sobbing.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BN0gfNTD9ry/?hl=en

• Love 6

I was a 1990s viewer of Days of Our Lives, as a young adult. It was not the greatest period in the show's history, perhaps, but DOOL was one of the most popular soaps at that time. The way it seemed then was that your older female relatives watched The Young and the Restless; you and your friends watched Days of Our Lives. James E. Reilly's plots were getting a lot of attention: possession, ghosts, underground-dwelling sewer people of Paris, magical board games, a device that looked like a curling iron but could erase memories, never-before-seen quintuplets played by the same actress (one of the quintuplets male). Stefano was right at the center of most of these plots.  

That coincided with the time I and a lot of other people were getting online. "Logging on" to discuss shows with people all over the country, rather than just your coworkers and your hairdresser, was now a part of the television viewing experience. I still remember screen names of people who are now scattered who knows where, and which characters they liked, which actors. Of course, we complained all the time! But we watched every day.  

I remember watching Joseph Mascolo accepting a soap award, and hearing him for the first time speaking in his "real" voice, rather than the Romantic European villain accent he used for Stefano. This is the first memory that came to me when I read the report of his death. He seemed like such a nice, down-to-earth man.  

He played Stefano with relish. Whenever there was another actor with whom he shared a lot of scenes, whether it was Drake or Deidre or Eileen or Tanya Boyd (Celeste), I felt that this must be his favorite scene partner.  Whether the material was good or bad, he acted it with an awareness of the responsibility that if the actors do not try hard to make it entertaining, and do not seem to believe in it, everything will collapse. I wish all soap actors did that.   

He was there for the zenith of the daytime soap opera, and he was there for what may be its twilight. In his own twilight, I understand, he suffered from Alzheimer's disease. I have not been watching in a long time, and I do not know if his condition was apparent in his performances. It is a terrible disease, and like all terrible diseases, it does not distinguish between ordinary people and extraordinary people.  

Now he has found his solace. We will remember him, and remember for him.  

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Love 11

RIP, Joe. I never fully quite got into Days the way I did other soaps, but I did watch B&B and I saw Joe on that show more when he was playing Massimo Marone. And from what I have seen of Days, he was always interesting to watch on both shows. A very talented actor.

My grandmother (who also died from Alzheimer's) was a fan of Days, and I remember her hissing at Stefano back in the day. I remember one time she said in a raised voice to the TV "Leave Marlena alone!".

• Love 7

Like Andy, I first saw Joe on B&B and he did amazing work there. I watched this show back when Eileen Davidson was on and she had many scenes alongside him, and That was always fun to watch.

Looking up the last scenes of him before Hope killed Stefano, it's have never known he needed cue cards to get through his scenes. Kudos to the team at Days for being so accommodating.

• Love 2

I remember Lisa Rinna when she was on Days criticized Joe for his use of cue cards. Billie was soon gone from Salem. I haven't liked her since. Now she's making a fool of herself on the Housewives show. I read an article where Joe's wife said he had that affliction for four years. Four years! And he was still able to be on the show. I give him all the credit in the world and to the show producers. Otherwise we would have had a recast and probably hated the actor. I noticed Joe wasn't at his best but I would rather have him than anyone else.

• Love 10

Like Andy, I first saw Joe on B&B and he did amazing work there

Actually, I saw him on Days first, during the few times I tried to get into the show. I hadn't watched him speaking at awards shows, so I always assumed the way he spoke as Stefano was his natural accent. You can imagine my surprise when he began appearing on B&B with his real accent...

Pre-empted Dates for 2017

PREEMPTIONS LIST FOR 2017:

Here's a list of the scheduled preemptions for "Days" in 2017. 

MONDAY 1/2/17 (NHL WINTER CLASSIC)
FRIDAY 1/20/17 (INAUGURATION DAY)
MONDAY 5/29/17 (FRENCH OPEN TENNIS)
THURSDAY 6/8/17 (FRENCH OPEN TENNIS SEMIFINALS)
FRIDAY 6/9/17 (FRENCH OPEN TENNIS SEMIFINALS)
MONDAY 9/4/17 (PGA GOLF)
THURSDAY 11/23/17 (NATIONAL DOG SHOW)
FRIDAY 11/24/17 (NHL HOCKEY)

59 minutes ago, LeftPhalange said:

NBC should go rogue and air a new episode on January 20th. 

Or even a "worst of" episode, complete with lots of elephant-diamond scenes, would be preferable to what NBC will be showing that day.

• Love 7
On 12/11/2016 at 0:51 PM, rcc said:

I remember Lisa Rinna when she was on Days criticized Joe for his use of cue cards. Billie was soon gone from Salem. I haven't liked her since. Now she's making a fool of herself on the Housewives show. I read an article where Joe's wife said he had that affliction for four years. Four years! And he was still able to be on the show. I give him all the credit in the world and to the show producers. Otherwise we would have had a recast and probably hated the actor. I noticed Joe wasn't at his best but I would rather have him than anyone else.

Agreed! Joe WAS Stefano. And I could see that he struggled at times, near the end. And I always felt a little sad..but was so impressed that he continued on. I believe it was Thaao that posted about Joe's health a couple/few years back, so I knew he had some struggles. And I'm thankful that the Days brass had enough loyalty to him to be able to accommodate him until the end.

• Love 6

I had no idea what thread to put this in, so to the mods for this forum, move as you like!

I was bored and wanted to see a bit of old Days, before it was a total joke. Well, I came across a video of Hope leaving for boarding school in 1981, played by an actress named Tammy Taylor then, saying goodbye to half-sister (and later stepmom, how messed up!), Julie. The YT channel is actually that of Tammy Taylor herself! She has commented a bit. And the video quality is quite good.

So for those who have never seen non-Kristian Alfonso Hope, here's a peek:

• Love 4