Type keyword(s) to search

S26.E03: #MurphysLaw (Phuket, Thailand)

• Start Topic

(edited)

I didn't enjoy this one as much, and I'm not sure why.  I am glad Hayley told her partner to listen up, but she was way too repetitive about it.  I don't remember Blair apologizing, but he did joke about it afterwards.  Not sure if it was just being passive-aggressive, though.  I did laugh when he called her a co-worker.

I was cheering for the Lawyers, so I was disappointed they were much weaker this time.  How did they manage to get a later flight?  

I can't believe the Tattooed team got first place. 

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1

I've watched too much reality to trust that what we see is the whole story. The editors could have easily decided not to show Blair apologizing, and also to show Haley doing nothing but complaining where it could have been over several hours and with a lot of other conversations.

That being said, I remember during the initial introductions Blair mentioned something about making quick judgments on women and not wanting to waste his time on someone who wasn't going to work. I think that he made that judgement about Haley in the first 5 seconds and is now just trying to get through it without doing something stupid on tv.

• Love 2
(edited)

I fly fairly often.  I don't remember the last time I was on a plane where every seat wasn't taken.

It’s happened to me often enough, particularly on international flights.  For example, just this February I needed to get a ticket from Panama to Brazil with a week’s advance notice and though Copa flies to 7 different cities in Brazil, they only had space in economy for that Wednesday on two of those flights.  The flight I did get on ended up being completely full, as was the return flight.  I also know from experience that the direct flight from where I live to Madrid (a very frequent destination) is full about half the time if I don’t book at least 2 weeks in advance.

"of the Spanish speaking population who has some indigenous blood, and thus a darker complexion, and certain features in her face that aren't the same as pure European stock"

In other terms, Mestizo.

I do get bothered a bit when Americans assume that all Hispanics are of one ethnicity.  You also can’t always go by last names.  I’ve known plenty of Hispanics of all races and many with non-Hispanic last names.  It makes sense if you consider that some countries in South America received a lot of immigrants from all over Europe, while other Spanish speaking countries farther north have significant black populations.  A perfect example is astronaut Franklin Chang (who I think holds the record for most Space Shuttle missions or something like that).  He was born and raised in Costa Rica, his family has been in that country for well over a century, he still speaks English with a bit of an accent and doesn't speak a lick of either Mandarin or Cantonese.  Though his mother's maiden name is Diaz and she is primarily of Spanish descent, physically he takes more after his father.  Since he doesn't look "Hispanic" and with the name Chang, most people never guessed that he is Hispanic (except for the Costa Ricans of course, since he's something of a national hero there).  It got to the point where he started hyphenating his last name as Chang-Diaz.

Edited by viajero
  • Love 2
(edited)

Last year, I saw the comedienne Sandra Bernhard in concert, and she regaled us with a tale of being in Prague several days and wanting to kill herself from boredom, so I'm guessing that's not that great a prize!

The BBC series, The Musketeers is filmed in Prague.    Admittedly, we see only the filming locations the show wants us to see, but it looks gorgeous.

Edited by millennium
I think that says more about Sandra than Prague.  It's gorgeous.

Prague isn't Paris but it's pretty fun.  The food is great, the bars are plentiful, and you're not a traveller until you've staggered home across the Charles Bridge at 3am.  It's like the saints are there to judge you.

If they are coming from Nagano and leaving by Narita Airport, that would be a 5 to 6 hour trip to the airport.

More like 3 1/2 to 4.  Was a bit surprised that nobody got there fast enough to take a flight anywhere before Narita closed and connect to Thailand, to say nothing of get there before the desks closed.  Also wonder what prevents them from doing what I do when the local airline desks are closed - I call their representatives in other time zones who are open.  Those guys can make reservations as easily as anyone else.

(edited)

To me, the difference between those pictures is blonde vs. brunette. And if you asked me about the brunette I'd guess Italian or Greek heritage. My first instinctive identifier is hair, especially with respect to women.  And there are at least 2 couples with a brunette female and a tall brunette male that I cannot tell apart and another two couples where the women are blonde (and I think the men might be, too, but I'm not so sure), and I can only tell the difference between them because Blair and Hayley stand out.

I think the last few seasons have had way too many spoon-fed flights. I enjoy the legs where there are no direct flights and multiple ways to make connections (South America to Europe is usually good for this). I also prefer the legs where they have to take buses or trains and make connections for the same reason.

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 2

I cringe when the challenges derive laughs at the expense of other cultures and/or lifestyles.

The ladyboy challenge, for example.

If you took a moment to look at the performers in the cabaret, they were all very serious about their craft. Obviously they have invested a great deal of time and effort to create a female illusion, learn the dance numbers, etc.

Then the hairy brutes of the show come stomping in, yukking it up, insisting "I'm a LadyMAN" and making like it's all a big joke, an embarrassment or a hassle. The Ugly American Hour.

I realize a cabaret is a bawdy environment; even so, there was an artistic discipline at work in that establishment and the racers seemed to have zero respect for it.

It happens a lot on this show, in many countries. I would love to be a fly on the wall to hear what the natives have to say after the racers leave these places.

The MyWay Cafe wasn't forced at gunpoint to host this challenge. They presumably were comfortable with it, and the audience there seemed to get a kick out of it, so who are we to say either they or the Thai people are bothered by this episode. I have no idea how "famous" that place is, or why it was chosen, but such cabarets are culturally common in that country. Sometimes TAR focuses on cultural monuments or historical places, and sometimes on more day-to-day challenges, to provide a slice of life, landscape, and history. They can only choose a few on each visit, and I don't want them censoring things just because we might find personally offensive or weird here in the USA.

As a radical Marxist type who believes in a guaranteed minimum income, I find challenges like the leather tanning roadblock last year in Tunisia (?) troubling, because it's absurd in this day and age for humans to labor like that for so little... but that is their culture, those are actual jobs people hold used as inspiration for a locally themed challenge. It's a real thing, as much as extreme poverty is in other countries when the racers zip past half naked children and starving dogs in the street.

All I can ask is that the show and the racers are respectful of local culture and customs while they visit, whatever their or our personal opinions. And mostly (with some glaring exceptions over the years), they all do.

• Love 2

Also, I bet the timing of the first teams getting Narita when it was too late to fly out that same evening wasn't a coincidence.

Re-watching, I'm more inclined to believe that. We see the starting times of the first handful of teams either side of sunset (4:30pm - 6:30pm) but we don't see how late the back of the pack left. We know that none of the teams arrived at the Nagano Pit Stop in darkness, even Libby/CJ, so it wasn't a 12 or 24-hour pit stop. Let's guesstimate 18 hours. We also know that Jelani and Jenny didn't lose any time on tasks over the first two legs, and still wouldn't have got a flight at Narita, so the intention of TPTB must have been to have the teams fighting for flights when the counters opened.

The setup in Phuket seemed clear enough: staggered departures, overnight party. I do think that TPTB give themselves real-time wiggle room with Hours of Operation bunches and staggered departure times, but not necessarily Pit Stop durations unless there's some external issue.

• Love 1
(edited)

The MyWay Cafe wasn't forced at gunpoint to host this challenge. They presumably were comfortable with it, and the audience there seemed to get a kick out of it, so who are we to say either they or the Thai people are bothered by this episode.

I'm pretty sure my post was about my discomfort as an American with modern sensibilities re: the way the teams behaved, not that of the dancers or the Thai people.   Obviously I have no way of knowing whether it irked them or not (which is why I thought it would be fun to hear what is said after the teams leave).

Edited by millennium
  • Love 2
(edited)

Then the hairy brutes of the show come stomping in, yukking it up, insisting "I'm a LadyMAN" and making like it's all a big joke, an embarrassment or a hassle.    The Ugly American Hour....

I realize a cabaret is a bawdy environment; even so, there was an artistic discipline at work in that establishment and the racers seemed to have zero respect for it.....

I'm pretty sure my post was about my discomfort as an American with modern sensibilities re: the way the teams behaved, not that of the dancers or the Thai people.   Obviously I have no way of knowing whether it irked them or not (which is why I thought it would be fun to hear what is said after the teams leave).

i am much more uncomfortable with the ladyboy clubs and what I have read and heard about sex trafficking, child prostitution in these clubs, , than I am with whether Americans respect that particular part of Thailand culture.  

These aren't just dance clubs.  Thailand is well-known for its sex-trade industry, including the use of ladyboy prostitutes, some underage, to make money for club owners. 

I just don't think the ugly American thing is relevant in this instance.   Not all aspects of other cultures deserve respect. 

Edited by backformore
  • Love 6
(edited)

I don't know much about the ladyboy clubs.   I wouldn't be surprised if sex work is involved, since a study a few years ago showed that even here in the US, fifty percent of transgender women can only find employment in the sex trade because no legitimate employer will have them.  I would guess no matter where you live, very few people actually want to be in the sex trade.  For those who are, it's often a question of survival for themselves and their families.  

I have heard about Thailand's notorious reputation for child sex trafficking but having no knowledge of facts or figures I can't speak to it.   From what I recall, it was fueled in no small way by Americans traveling there.  

The ladyboys we saw in that segment appeared to be of legal age, as did the patrons.

I still believe respect was owed, even if only because we are visitors in their country.

Edited by millennium

Of course it's not the same. I don't think anyone is saying it is. I'm just saying I can't remember which names go with which dating couple team. That's all I'm saying. The gay teams I can keep straight because one of them is a New Kid. Lebya and C.J. were black. The lawyers I can remember (although not always their names, but I know they are the lawyers) because one is black and one is Asian (Chinese? I can't remember). Also, they showed what I thought were lawyerly tendencies early on. Haley I can remember because she won't shut up (and I hate her voice and her perkiness). Heck, it wasn't until at least halfway through last season that I could remember which one was Maya and which one was Amy. Please don't think I thought they looked alike. (The racers who do look just alike I still don't know which is which; Kami and Karli, for instance. Of course, I also don't care.)

Usually, there's another hook to remember people right off. Brothers, friends, frat brothers, models (and addicts!), parent/child, old people. These people blend. That's not necessarily awful. It means none of them are horrible enough to hate them immediately, so that's a bright side. But it means not remembering who did what and who said what without looking it up until the herd thins out a bit.

Also, I didn't peg her as Hispanic. She just looked tan and overly made up to me. (Although, for all I know, I supposed one of the blond girls could also be Hispanic. I don't look up more about these people than what I see on TV.)

Couldn't agree more.  From the two pictures posted here of the blonde and dark-haired women there is no way to tell which is the Hispanic and which isn't.  I know a number of Hispanics and some are closer to the first picture and some are closer to the second.  Looking at the dark-haired woman I would have just guessed she got a good tan too.

And I don't look up more about the Racers either.  Did some with the "meet the teams" way back and just ended up disappointed reading the subtext that showed so many teams were thinly disguised mactors with a "spin" trying to hide that fact.

Mar 7 2015. 1:18 pm

I would have been furious if this had been an elimination round because it was so poorly planned. The producers should know whether there are enough available flights and/or seats for all the teams without leaving one stranded behind an entire day.

I actually liked that, myself.  For me, it harkened back to the first few seasons of AR, when flights weren't force-fed and everyone took the chance of getting stuck at an airport somewhere.  Although I am sorry that it happened to a team who seem really nice.

• Love 3

I'm weirded out by the show showing us sleeping arrangements for the stranger teams. I don't want to see the Bachelor.

I've only read the first page, but I agree with this.

This episode started out super slow for me. It took 20 minutes before they even DID anything, other than show them getting to the airport (that's fair) but showing them in the hotel rooms, etc. Don't care. That's taking up race time and did I say I don't care? :)

Pushing relationships isn't what I watch this for. Let's just race, people.

• Love 4

Why else would she have brought it up unless it's something that she has experienced enough for it to be a reference point?

Because the producer said "How does your experience today on the race relate to your experience as a nurse?"

"Well, as a nurse, doctors often don't listen..."

I am more likely to believe she brought it up because she was prompted than because she wanted to make the "doctor's don't listen" connection on her own.

• Love 2

My sympathy is all with Blair.  Hayley kept asking what the menu was for, Blair did listen he just didn't agree it meant "take everything", probably because 3 of 4 racers there didn't.  And what did it cost them?  ONE trip in a challenge that took many teams many trips.  Why make a mountain out of a molehill?  

She yaps constantly like a small dog, I would tune her out, too.  It's hard to take her seriously after she's repeatedly referred to herself as "the little blonde girl" or whatever it was, too.  

(edited)

I have to defend Hayley on the "little blonde girl" comment that I think many have taken out of context. Unless I'm mistaken, she made that comment after she was proven right when she told Blair they were going the wrong way. She said something like, "gee maybe the little blonde girl may actually know what she's talking about." So I took her comment as sarcasm and referring more to the fact that it was likely how Blair saw her, which is why he was so quick to dismiss her saying they were going the wrong way.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 4

I feel like probably Hayley goes through life trying to prove she's not as dumb as she sounds, and assumes she looks, and that's the only thing making her look/sound dumb is her trying so hard to disprove it.  

Was a bit surprised that nobody got there fast enough to take a flight anywhere before Narita closed and connect to Thailand, to say nothing of get there before the desks closed.  Also wonder what prevents them from doing what I do when the local airline desks are closed - I call their representatives in other time zones who are open.  Those guys can make reservations as easily as anyone else.

I saw this in reality fan forum; there was someone who posted photos with him talking with another team (I think it was Hayley and Blair) and they allowed him to take a photo of their instructions for the flights.  I don't remember all of the details, but there were specific airlines they were not allowed to use at all  I'm guessing there are TONS of flights from Tokyo to Phuket via other hubs but they are limited by their options.  It wouldn't surprise me that the terminal they were at housed the airlines they were allowed to use.

(edited)

I have to defend Hayley on the "little blonde girl" comment that I think many have taken out of context. Unless I'm mistaken, she made that comment after was proven right when she told Blair they were going the wrong way. She said something like, "gee maybe the little blonde girl may actually know what she's talking about." So I took her comment as sarcasm and referring more to the fact that it was likely how Blair saw her, which is why he was so quick to dismiss her saying they were going the wrong way.

THIS.

It's just so obvious to me that Hayley knows without a doubt that Blair doesn't like her, doesn't respect her, and thinks he's smarter than her. That annoys me to watch, I can't imagine what it's like to actually have to work with someone you know thinks you're dumb and less than them.

Now, in Blair's defense, it must be hard to have to race with someone you don't like or respect and who has an annoying voice. But I just can't sympathize with him anymore since he isn't even trying IMO whereas I believe Hayley is. Plus, she has proven twice now that she actually is a better racer than him, so he really should get over it and listen to her.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 10

What bugs me about Blair is that he's letting his ego stand in the way of winning a million dollars. So what if Hayley isn't his dream date. Do you want to win a million dollars, Blair? Then start working as a team with your partner.  She's trying to work with you to win the million. You're only stuck with her for around three weeks. Is a million dollars worth it you? It would be to me!

• Love 8

How is Blair not working with her?  Because he didn't go back to the hut for all the food as soon as she mentioned it?  Does teamwork mean one member decides everything?  I think they're editing in this doctor/nurse power struggle.   

I don't see dislike.  I see extreme patience and restraint from Blair.  I can't believe he hasn't rolled his eyes at the camera or barked at her to just let it go for a second.  

I have to defend Hayley on the "little blonde girl" comment that I think many have taken out of context. Unless I'm mistaken, she made that comment after she was proven right when she told Blair they were going the wrong way. She said something like, "gee maybe the little blonde girl may actually know what she's talking about." So I took her comment as sarcasm and referring more to the fact that it was likely how Blair saw her, which is why he was so quick to dismiss her saying they were going the wrong way.

She said it more than once though. In the first episode when they were in the car on the way to the airport, she was talking a mile a minute about the two of them being on a blind date and said she hoped he liked "ditzy blonde girls." She might actually be very smart, but I think she cultivates the "dumb, helpless girl" persona when she feels it's to her advantage. I can't have much sympathy for someone who purposefully plays dumb and then gets affronted when she's not taken seriously.

• Love 4
(edited)

I feel like probably Hayley goes through life trying to prove she's not as dumb as she sounds, and assumes she looks, and that's the only thing making her look/sound dumb is her trying so hard to disprove it.  

I guess I just haven't really seen this. I don't think she's looked or sounded dumb trying to disprove she is those things. She said they were going the wrong way and she was right. She said it made no sense for all those food items to be on the menu if they didn't have to take it all and she was right. If anything she has shown herself to be quite smart and perceptive. She knew they were going the wrong way based on the direction they came out of the metro.

While I found her incessant bitching about Blair not listening to her about the food task annoying, I didn't think it made her look or sound dumb, I just thought it made her sound like a nag. Seems to me some made dumb blonde assumptions about Hayley much like Blair has been accused of doing and despite her disproving that quite well in my opinion, she's still being painted that way.

How is Blair not working with her?  Because he didn't go back to the hut for all the food as soon as she mentioned it?  Does teamwork mean one member decides everything?  I think they're editing in this doctor/nurse power struggle.

Yes we can always debate about what editing is and isn't showing but from what was shown in the episode, it wasn't about Blair just doing exactly what Hayley wanted. Hayley didn't immediately demand they go back, she asked him if he was sure it was correct. Then she backed up her concern by questioning why they would have all these food items on the menu if they didn't have to bring all of it. Blair never stops walking and moving forward while Hayley is saying this and just shrugs off her concern with "well the other team went with the same thing so it's right."

At which point Hayley rightly says, "just because they did it doesn't mean it's right because they could be wrong too." But again he just dismissed her concerns with an abrupt, "it's right." Only for Jelani and Jenna to return moments later, having taken the wrong amount of food which is when Hayley snapped on him. Because at that point they were already hooked up to the zipline and had to go, knowing they'd have to come right back because it was wrong. 

I don't think Hayley has ever acted like Blair should just do what she says. However, as she said, he needs to listen and consider her ideas and opinions which is not so unreasonable considering twice now, his just ignoring her cost them time on the race. Again, I'm the first to say Hayley went on far too long with the snapping and lecturing and just became downright nagging and annoying. However, Blair is too dismissive of her and her opinions and thoughts on the race which is just stupid because romantic interest or not (which is clearly not), this is also a chance to win a million dollars. He doesn't have to treat her as a potential girlfriend, but treat her like a damn teammate who it is in his best interest to get along with and work with so they have a chance of winning.

In the first episode when they were in the car on the way to the airport, she was talking a mile a minute about the two of them being on a blind date and said she hoped he liked "ditzy blonde girls."

Well as I said, I could have been wrong since it's two weeks since I saw the first episode. However I do remember her "little blonde girl" comment and clearly which came after she was proven right about the direction and so I do stand by the fact that I think in that instant she was clearly being sarcastic. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 9

While I found her incessant bitching about Blair not listening to her about the food task annoying, I didn't think it made her look or sound dumb, I just thought it made her sound like a nag.

See, Hayley's constant nagging could drive anyone insane.  But the reason she keeps on about it is because it's obvious he still isn't listening to her.  He's gone wrong twice by refusing to even consider her reasonable suggestions, just because he wouldn't listen.  And now she's been proven correct twice -- arguably proven the better racer twice -- and he still refuses to listen.  She's "Nag, nag, nag," and he's "Yeah, whatever..."  The man needs a large dose of laxatives!

Continue on like this and this teem will self-destruct.  The only way Blair gets half of the million is if Hayley wins the whole million and gives half to him.  Because he isn't doing anything to win this race.

• Love 9

But Blair doesn't consider her point of view the first time she brings something up, such as the menu board. He just walks away, as truthaboutluv says. If this was just a dating adventure it wouldn't matter so much. But this is about winning a million dollars. If there's a difference of opinion, the first thing they should do is pull out the clue and reread it. They don't know each other well enough to know who would have better judgment about different types of tasks, so they have to be more collaborative if they want to win a million dollars.

Actually I think they're getting along better than we're being shown. At the Ladyboy challenge and in talking heads, I've seen him smiling at her and behaving more friendly. In a way I wouldn't be surprised if they're the one blind date couple that does end up together.  It's like they're seeing the worst of each other right off the bat, so if they can manage to make a successful race partnership it could extend to a successful dating partnership.

• Love 3

I do see both Blair and Hayley's sides, and I would hate to lose a race due to some guy ignoring my input.  But I also would hate to be with someone who refers to herself as a ditzy blonde girl and talks in a Minnie Mouse voice non-stop.  I mean, you have to tune it out to remain sane.  But then you get henpecked for not hearing the one time what she said was important.  

I think she might be listened to more if she'd talk less.  

^  Maybe she'd talk less if she was ever listened to in the first place.

And maybe she can't help she has a high voice.  Why would anyone be prejudice against how a voice sounds?  She can't control that.

• Love 9

I believe it when Phil says that it was planned as a nonelimination round.  But I think the plan was: if the New Kids on the Block come in last, we won't eliminate them this round.  And I'm glad they didn't.

"Planned' means planned before the race started, not planned the night before when they saw who was left in Japan.

• Love 2

But I also would hate to be with someone who refers to herself as a ditzy blonde girl and talks in a Minnie Mouse voice non-stop.

I would hate the first part, but I'm not sure what one is supposed to do about their voice.

• Love 3

Count me in on Team Hayley, although I'm also on Team You've-Made-Your-Point-Now-Please-Move-On. If we continue to see him ignoring her opinions (seems likely), I may even move away from that, but this episode? Oy. Not the best communication strategy, as a general rule.

I'm also kind of glad that this was an NEL. I'm fairly indifferent on the team, but it would have been a really sucky way to go out. I get what a lot of people here have said, that they could have been more proactive about flights, but I still just have kind of a hard time with a team getting screwed as badly as they were for doing exactly the same thing as everyone else. I know it wouldn't be the first time, and there are all kinds of other things beyond teams' control that can get them booted, but I never particularly like to see it, so I'm glad it didn't happen here.

The lady-boy challenge reminded me a little of something Dan Savage once said, about how, in some ways, he actually feels sorry for straight men, because our society tends to put pressure on them to prove their straightness every second of every day. If a gay man doesn't look remotely feminine, no one questions his sexuality. If he admits to having once kissed (or more) a woman, no one questions his sexuality. If he's into sports, no one questions his sexuality. But straight men? One tiny hint of liking or voluntarily participating in something not "manly" enough, and people start asking ridiculous questions. Ergo, when they find themselves having to put on boatloads of makeup, heels, stockings, glitter, and feathers, many of them feel the need to insist, loudly and repeatedly, that they are not doing this voluntarily, they have no prior experience with doing this, and it certainly does not in any way suit them. I try not to be too annoyed by it, knowing that societal pressure for all that that exists, but it does make me like the ones who are secure enough not to do so a little more.

• Love 3

"Planned' means planned before the race started, not planned the night before when they saw who was left in Japan.

I realize that that's what they're telling us.  I'm offering my own opinion on how it was actually planned.

(edited)

And maybe she can't help she has a high voice.  Why would anyone be prejudice against how a voice sounds?  She can't control that.

Is it prejudiced to not like someone based on a physical characteristic?  Whether or not she can control her voice, the high pitch does make it difficult to listen to.  When she slows down, her voice is not as high, I think the annoying factor  has to do with how fast she speaks and how much she says, as much as her high voice.  

Edited by backformore

I'm not prejudiced against Hayley or a jack hammer but I'm not going to listen closely to either after the first ten minutes.  

(edited)

Is it prejudiced to not like someone based on a physical characteristic?  Whether or not she can control her voice, the high pitch does make it difficult to listen to.  When she slows down, her voice is not as high, I think the annoying factor  has to do with how fast she speaks and how much she says, as much as her high voice.  

Yep I think it is prejudice to not like someone based on physical characteristics.  That is pretty much one of the main definitions and manifestations of prejudice.  Disliking a person because of a lisp, the color of one's skin, a gender or the register of their voice?  It's all prejudice to me.

Also jackhammers don't have feelings, humans do.  To me there is no excuse to ever injure the heart of another.  And it seems clear this nurse has been injured by continual behavior towards her by this doctor.  No one likes to be belittled by being ignored.  It hurts like hell.  No one wants to be made to feel they are inferior to another.  It hurts like hell.

Edited by green
  • Love 3

So happy for Mike and Rochelle!  Way to work together and get a well deserved first place!  He is just adorable.

And, having been to Prague, it is a great prize.  That city has very nice people and some of the most beautiful architecture I have ever seen.  There is a big clock (astromical, I think it is called) that is amazing.

• Love 3

I realize that that's what they're telling us.  I'm offering my own opinion on how it was actually planned.

The non-elimination legs have always been pre-planned before the cast is even set for a particular race because the producers have to set up the required task, something they can't really do only a day ahead of time.

• Love 2

I'm not prejudiced against Hayley or a jack hammer but I'm not going to listen closely to either after the first ten minutes.  

Then you'd probably be making the same mistakes that we've seen Blair making because he didn't consider what his partner was saying.  I mean, I get that she's annoying, and I wouldn't want to be stuck with her for a month, so I can sort of understand Blair's situation.  But this is a race for a million dollar prize.  If Blair wants his half of that million, he needs to find a better way of working with Hayley.  Automatically tuning her out because she annoys him probably isn't going to keep working in the long haul.  His plan of just doing what another team is doing hasn't worked out that well; if he'd taken a moment to consider that Hayley might be right about the details of the "sky" task, they might've been able to snag first place.  And it's not like this episode was the first time he'd ignored her input and been wrong.  I'm not "Team" anyone, but they need to find a way to work together if they want to win.

• Love 6

She said something like it in the introduction when the teams were first meeting. Paraphrasing, but it was along the lines of, "I thought, oh my gosh, what if my partner doesn't like silly little blondes?"  I remember it because it made me feel icky.

• Love 1

I was disappointed in the Race planning this week. That one team, through no fault of their own was 17 hours behind the others due to plane reservation issues. I have no problem with different flights landing at different times and spreading the teams out a little, but this was just ridiculous. At that point, I think I would have just started sightseeing rather than finish the tasks with any immediacy.

As others have pointed out they weren't stuck on a crappy flight through no fault of their own but rather because they didn't manage the airport very well.  They weren't the last team to leave the pitstop, they could have been in line before other racers who beat them to the flight.

The dating conceit isn't bugging me that much because my favorite teams are the two J&J blind date teams. But Phil is embarrassing himself with this "any chemistry yet?" b.s.

Yeah, it's silly to think that people are going to start dating just because they're partnered on a reality TV show.

More like 3 1/2 to 4.  Was a bit surprised that nobody got there fast enough to take a flight anywhere before Narita closed and connect to Thailand, to say nothing of get there before the desks closed.  Also wonder what prevents them from doing what I do when the local airline desks are closed - I call their representatives in other time zones who are open.  Those guys can make reservations as easily as anyone else.

I've always been under the impression that the racers don't have phones (at least not ones other than "phones" that can only take product-placement selfies) so unless there are other people hanging out willing to loan them their phone they have no way of calling the airlines.

I'm torn on the Hayley versus Blair thing.  Blair has consistently ignored her input and it's cost the team.  But Hayley needs to also recognize that Blair is unlikely to change so he's not going to listen to her complain that he doesn't listen to her.

• Love 1
(edited)

Maybe it's not that she's a blonde but that she's a nurse.

My mother was a registered nurse for forty years.   I never got the impression doctors think highly of nurses, or value their opinions.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 4
Yep I think it is prejudice to not like someone based on physical characteristics.  That is pretty much one of the main definitions and manifestations of prejudice.  Disliking a person because of a lisp, the color of one's skin, a gender or the register of their voice?  It's all prejudice to me.

I think you also have to consider whether this physical characteristic actually hurts your well-being. If you dislike someone for something that has no bearing on your happiness, then yes, definitely, it's prejudice. If Hayley's voice register actually hurts Blair's ears? I'm not so sure.

I think the simple answer is that both Blair and Hayley have very obnoxious personalities that are almost guaranteed to get on each other's nerves.  He's a dismissive jackass and she doesn't have a good idea of when she has made her point.

There is no winner on that team, I think we all just hope their conflicting personalities and mediocre at best race skills eliminate them sooner rather than later.

• Love 2

There have been a few heated exchanges here in the last 24 hours, and it would be nice if folks would instead dial it back a notch when that urge strikes.

Thanks!

• Love 3
I've always been under the impression that the racers don't have phones (at least not ones other than "phones" that can only take product-placement selfies) so unless there are other people hanging out willing to loan them their phone they have no way of calling the airlines.

Been a couple of years since i flew through Narita but I'd be surprised if there weren't public phones still.  There's usually vending machines with calling cards too, but you'd still need a bit of wifi to get the airline numbers in the states.  Gimme a few hours hanging around Narita and I'm pretty sure I'd score reservations long before the desks opened.  I'd be willing to bet one of ubiquitous airport hotels would be helpful.  That said, I'm betting the producers wouldn't allow it.

Was happy that two couples at least this week kinda refused to go along with the 'you in love yet?' crap.  I mean these guys have just met and didn't choose each other, why pretend it's just love at first sight?  Contrast this with the folks on Survivor obligingly (and sickeningly) framing their strategy and character around the stupid 'collar' system Jeff obviously loves, and it's a refreshing bit of actual reality.

But the white couples, not a clue.  Nothing really stands out visually to "hook" onto during the 2 seconds of blurred motion. Only when the nurse one rips into Mr Condensation can I separate them from the milk-toast herd.  The others?  Forget it.  They all look alike to me, have no unique personality or story to tell and are all 20-something "couples".  And since they are all so uninteresting I could care less to try and figure them out.

Same here. I can identify Mike and Rochelle, because looks-wise, they stand out in a crowd. I can identify Kurt and Bergen, and Harley and Jonathan, for obvious reasons, as well as Jelani and Jenni. No problem there. 

Hayley and Blair are standing a little bit out because the editors are playing up their squabbles. Matt and Ashley might start to stand out based on their engagement. 

But generally, Tyler and Laura, Jeffrey and Jackie, Aly and Steve, Hayley and Blair, and Matt and Ashley all sort of melt together into one generic bunch, and I couldn't pick most of them out of a lineup at this point.

For that reason, I would have preferred Jeff and Lyda and Lebya and CJ remain in the race a bit longer. The totally generic looking dating couples need to be thinned out.

• Love 2

I have trouble distinguishing are between the two blonde women, I have to look at their partner to figure out which one it is.   I have the same issue with the two dark-haired women.  The blonde gay couple, I don't know who is who.  But none of the other guys look remotely alike to me.

The dating conceit isn't bugging me that much because my favorite teams are the two J&J blind date teams. But Phil is embarrassing himself with this "any chemistry yet?" b.s.
Yeah, it's silly to think that people are going to start dating just because they're partnered on a reality TV show.
To be fair to Phil, Jeff and Jackie have shared a room and a double bed at least three times.  When they showed the room on this episode, he mentioned they shared a bed the previous leg too.  And they were the first to the group hotel room (?) and it seemed they claimed the double bed.  When Phil asked his question at the pit stop, someone immediately said "these two" and pointed to Jeff and Jackie.  It does seem like they have a "thing" and everyone knows it.  Considering it was a blind date and it's the premise of the show, I don't fault Phil for asking.

However, when it's obvious that there doesn't seem to be anything there (the gay blondes for one) I do agree that he should stop asking.  Especially if they have already told him "we're just friends".

• Love 1