Type keyword(s) to search

Tennis Thread

cms
  • Start Topic

Would SI have posed a male sportsperson of the year in the same seductive poses that Serena is in?

Hmm. Maybe not. But ESPN's body issue features nude male and female athletes. And maybe it's because too many stupid people on the Internet call Serena a man and say she's not feminine. 

And Serena's an exhibitionist (based on home movies I've seen from her childhood). So I don't think she minded. 

• Love 3

That pic was so photoshopped it didn't even look like her. Since when has she had long shapely legs and no bubble butt?

I haven't seen the full spread--only the cover photo--but Serena does have long legs. I've seen her in person, and she's taller and thinner than she looks on TV. Yes, she's extremely muscular, but TV cameras make her look fat and somewhat short, which she isn't. Not by a long shot.  But SI photoshopped her butt? What??? I heard a rumor that Serena actually had fat injected into her butt to make it bigger. I can't imagine she'd be ashamed of it. 

• Love 1

I agree the picture was photoshopped to hell and back, but my mother also saw her in person at the Open and said the same thing as topanga. She told me Serena doesn't look anywhere near as bulky as she does on tv. I think the added camera weight just doesn't flatter her body type.

• Love 2

Interesting to see the responses from the tennis world about the match-fixing stories. The ATP chairman was both stunned and super defensive, while the ESPN commentators basically said, "...well, we've all heard rumors and it would be easy to pull off in the lower levels of the game," and Djokovic says his team was approached with a $200,000 offer 8-9 years ago.

In other news, Andy Murray's wife is due next month and he says he'll leave immediately if Kim goes into labor during the tournament. She's back in the UK, so that would be a pretty long flight and he says he doesn't have a private jet on standby, so it would take him more than 24 hours to get back home.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 1

While I'm happy for Verdasco coming back to win, I felt bad for Rafa because he just looked so pained when he lost.  I can't believe it might be over for him.  Hopefully, he can get it together for a few more years.

• Love 1

I've always loathed Hewitt, especially after the incident at the US Open when he accused a linesman of giving favorable calls to James Blake because both men were black. He's an immature, spoiled jerk. Good riddance, and take your boy Kyrgios with you.

• Love 5

I was (pleasantly) surprised to see that Tsonga has entered the mixed doubles

Since it's an Olympic year, he may be getting in some doubles action so he can be selected in two events.  Will have to check out the doubles draws later to see if any other teams may have formed for this reason.

• Love 2

Surprised to hear that Venus lost in the 1st round, especially since she had a good season last year. I wasn't familiar with her opponent, who I think was seeded in the 30's.

I wasn't. I noticed Konta at the U.S. Open I believe when she upset Mugurza and I was really impressed with her game. I knew that wasn't going to be an easy first round match for Venus, much like Verdasco was not going to be an easy first round for Rafa. 

That said, watching Rafa's match was frustrating because I didn't feel like he simply just doesn't have the game anymore. I came away feeling like there are two major issues here - one, his serve. Rafa's serve at the moment is BAD. He gets a couple of good first serves in here and there but he doesn't win nearly enough cheap points on it and with a weak serve, he's always vulnerable in tiebreaks which sure enough, he lost both in that match. 

But the biggest issue I felt was that he is very passive in how he's playing right now, which is NOT the Rafa Nadal I have known for years. He played so many points in that match content to just put the ball back in play and hope Verdasco makes the error. Verdasco was by far the more aggressive player and all I can assume is that's a symptom of his confidence being shot. I mean it doesn't take a sports psychologist to know Rafa likely second guesses himself now in a way he didn't before.

And worse, because his confidence is shot, he gets VERY tight in the close matches. Where before he could pull out the big shots in the key moments and come out of these close matches, now when the match gets close, he tightens up, gets nervous and the serve pretty much goes away. The double faults increase, weak second serves, etc. Sports is so mental that I'm not sure if he can get it together. Because every loss will only increase his anxiety, increase his doubts, continue to make him lose confidence, etc. So I don't know, maybe it is time to call it quits. And the thing is, if it is the end, it's not like he's leaving the game with only a modicum of success. Rafa has cemented his place in tennis history and will always be considered one of the greats. 

I do wonder about what McEnroe and others have said in that it may be time for him to at least consider bringing someone new on his team for a fresh perspective. He doesn't have to entirely get rid of Uncle Toni but it's very likely he has taken him as far as he can (which with 14 GS is pretty damn far by the way). Rafa is the only one of the Top 4 who has never changed his team. Federer went from Sampras' old coach to Edberg now, Murray had Lendl and now is with Mauresmo and Djokovic brought on Becker. I mean at this point it can't hurt but Rafa's so OCD, likes things exactly the same, that I don't see it happening. 

Meanwhile, I don't care who does it, how it happens but can the universe please spare me another two weeks of Djokovic blandly powering through the men's game? It's not so much I'm tired of seeing him win, even if that does get a little boring and predictable, it's just that he's SO boring to watch. I find Djokovic's game so bland. There's something so robotic and mechanical about it and I just can't. So I don't care who...anyone, anyone please spare me that. 

The women's side seems a little more exciting but I feel like the deeper into the draw Serena gets, any doubts about her fitness and knees will vanish and she'll be the favorite to win. It will be interesting to see who else gets there. That Australian girl is looking good. I am enjoying seeing how far she can take this "magical" run, although I find her kind of annoying in her post-match on court interviews. Like I get being excited but I never understand players who can't answer basic questions about the match and their own game.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2
Can the universe please spare me another two weeks of Djokovic blandly powering through the men's game

Preach it, truthaboutluv!  You absolutely  nailed it.  He's a great, great player, but his style of play is rather numbing.  Granted, I'm a Roger fan, but when RF was dominating at least his game was so breathtaking it could still be entertaining.  Same thing for Rafa; he didn't dominate for that long, but when he did his game is so f"&^-ing exciting.  I think the only one who can challenge ND is Stan, so GO STAN!!!!!

And agreed about Serena, although there is the chance that Azarenka can challenge her and produce an exciting final.  (IIRC they're on opposite sides of the draw.)  

Federer went from Sampras' old coach to Edberg now

Actually it's Lubicic now.  And is it strange that I find both Edberg and Lubicic very attractive?  Their looks are so polar opposite for tall, slender Euro guys.

Well, my tennis boo Monfils has made it to the round of 16.  I get so tired of the announcers talking about what he could have/should have been based on his talent.  Just stop it.  He hasn't won any slams but it seems to me he's done quite well for himself, not to mention the money he's made off the court with endorsements.

• Love 1

Well, my tennis boo Monfils has made it to the round of 16. I get so tired of the announcers talking about what he could have/should have been based on his talent. Just stop it. He hasn't won any slams but it seems to me he's done quite well for himself, not to mention the money he's made off the court with endorsements.

When he's on, Monfils is absolutely brilliant to watch. He's one of those guys who could play any sport and be a star. His athleticism is insane.

Harry24, I agree about Edberg. He's aged incredibly well. Back when I was a flight attendant I worked a private charter to Stockholm and got to layover for a couple of days. One of my observations was that there are literally no ugly people in Sweden. It was crazy. Even the old people looked good.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 1

Oh did Kim go into labor while his match was going on?

eta: Okay, just saw the story. Wow, that's crazy and how did Ivanovic who I didn't even know Murray's father in law was coaching, continue with that match? I guess she lost so there is that, although she was in a good position to win but just couldn't close it out. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

Well, my tennis boo Monfils has made it to the round of 16. I get so tired of the announcers talking about what he could have/should have been based on his talent. Just stop it. He hasn't won any slams but it seems to me he's done quite well for himself, not to mention the money he's made off the court with endorsements.

I adore Gael. One reason I still despise Djokovic was the USO match where he took a questionable "injury" break that helped him come back in a 5-setter vs Monfils. That said, Gael is a talented tennis player who should have done more on the court considering his talent and athleticism. I don't care about off-court endorsement deals or I would consider Anna Kournikova's career a success. His career has been a disappointment, and I think it's valid to bring it up.

Classy Hewitt, who let us not forget is mentoring Kyrgios:

Hearing the commentators fawn over him has been disgusting. Reading Aussie fans praise him while condemning Kyrgios is odd. They are both assholes. Never understood what Clijsters saw in him. She dodged a bullet, I think.

Edited by azshadowwalker
  • Love 1

Speaking of Djokovic, while I appreciated the effort Simon put forth and he had some beautiful shots, I actually never at any point truly felt like Djokovic would lose. Maybe it's just because I've been burned so many times, so many times where it felt like, "could it be, is an upset in the making" and then he pulls it out, that I'm just sort of whatever at this point. 

• Love 2

I adore Gael. One reason I still despise Djokovic was the USO match where he took a questionable "injury" break that helped him come back in a 5-setter vs Monfils. That said, Gael is a talented tennis player who should have done more on the court considering his talent and athleticism. I don't care about off-court endorsement deals or I would consider Anna Kournikova's career a success. His career has been a disappointment, and I think it's valid to bring it up.

I think he's relaxed and just never had that killer instinct that many players have, and I just choose not to hold that against him.  It's who he is, I think.  I hear what you're saying, but they've talked about it enough and I just don't think it needs to be brought up every time he takes the court.  Also, I don't have stats in front of me but I think he's done a hell of a lot better playing tennis than Kournikova and I would consider it an insult to him to compare him to her.

As much as has been made of the noises that Sharapova and Azarenka make (and rightly so) I find it odd that no one has talked about Andy Murray and that awful noise he makes when he's serving.  I cannot stand to see him play for that reason alone.

I swear if Sharapova loses to Serena yet again it just adds to defining Maria per Serena's domination. I like Maria OK but she has to win at least one time before she(or Serena) retires or it becomes the ultimate beat down in professional sports, well it already is, but still...

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1

This is why I was really rooting for Bencic (well that and she's one of my younger ones to watch, along with Muguruza). I am not here to watch Serena routinely dismiss Sharapova for the umpteenth time. Honestly, when Maria was screaming in excitement after her win against Bencic, all I could think was, "has no one told her yet that she's meeting Serena next?"

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

Never understood what Clijsters saw in him. She dodged a bullet, I think.

Yes, she seems so sweet. She's in Melbourne playing in the legends doubles, and the Aussie crowd still loves her from what I saw.

I find it odd that no one has talked about Andy Murray and that awful noise he makes when he's serving.

It is awful, isn't it?  But, oddly, it makes me feel a bit nostalgic, because he sounds just like Dementieva, and I miss her!

That said, it pales in comparison (or whatever the aural version of that is) to the hideous squawking of Azarenka and, especially, Sharapova.

*sigh* It's just sad now. I mean it's like what is even the point anymore with Sharapova and Serena. Man I wish Bencic had won that match against Maria. Sure Serena might have won anyway but I feel like it'd have been a little more competitive. Well hopefully the semifinal with Radwanska will be interesting. Although Aggie has had some weird matches where it's like she just never bothered to show up so who knows what version of her will be present. She has looked amazing so far though.

• Love 1

That's why I don't even bother getting my hopes up anymore. There's no point. I feel like this will be very predictable at this point. I have zero expectations for Federer in the semi-finals and I can't picture any of the four guys left on the other side beating Novak in the final. Murray is of course more than capable but after last year's final where he just went away after leveling the match, I have zero faith in his abilities. Monfils is the least reliable player ever, Ferrer bless his heart tries but yeah I don't see it happening and I don't see Roanic pulling an upset either. But hey, I will be happy to be proven wrong. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

That's why I don't even bother getting my hopes up anymore. There's no point. I feel like this will all as expected. I have zero expectations for Federer in the semi-finals and I can't picture any of the four guys left on the other side beating Novak in the final.

My mother and I were talking last night about how we were losing interest in watching tennis, and I think it's due to exactly what you just mentioned. The tour has become stale, both for the men and the women. Unless Serena implodes mentally, she's pretty much a shoe-in to win the Slams this year. On the men's side, it doesn't matter how spectacular Federer plays for his age, it's unlikely he'll ever beat Djokovic in a best of five.

I noticed in the Maria/Serena match that half the stadium was empty, and you'd think that QF would've been a huge draw. Hopefully we get an influx of new talent to make things exciting, because right now it's a snooze fest.

• Love 1

Interestingly, the following article http://www.ausopen.com/en_AU/news/articles/2016-01-26/whats_going_on_with_generation_next.html is posted on the Australian Open homepage, more or less acknowledging this very thing. That there is a lack of young, champion winning players. To top it off, the other problem is there are currently no solid rivalries in the game. Without good solid rivalries, what is there to get really excited about?

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 3

That's why I don't even bother getting my hopes up anymore. There's no point. I feel like this will be very predictable at this point. I have zero expectations for Federer in the semi-finals and I can't picture any of the four guys left on the other side beating Novak in the final. Murray is of course more than capable but after last year's final where he just went away after leveling the match, I have zero faith in his abilities. Monfils is the least reliable player ever, Ferrer bless his heart tries but yeah I don't see it happening and I don't see Roanic pulling an upset either. But hey, I will be happy to be proven wrong. 

I'm depressed with this post, but I fear you're right.  I'm rooting for Gael, but I'd be over the moon if Ferrer or even Roanic could win.

I can't even name more than five people on the women's side, whereas ten years ago I could name at least the top 10.

I think part of the reason for the slide in the women's game is that we're finally seeing the result of increased professional sports opportunities since the Steffi and the Martinas days when about 90% of the living wage women's professional sports jobs were in either golf or tennis. The athletic 8-10 year old girl is now as likely to get channeled into basketball, volleyball (good opportunities to play six a side pro in Europe for a few years as well as beach VB) , soccer, or running as she is tennis, even in many places that have been traditional tennis powerhouses. 

• Love 3

Oh, for heaven's sake.  Azarenka lost to Kerber?  That means the final will be Serena v. Kerber/Zhang or Konta?  The f&*k?  Although I think there's a chance the semi with Radwanska could be good.

• Love 1

That article was interesting, truthaboutluv. I often find myself nostalgic for those days when a player would come out of nearly nowhere and win a slam at 18, 19, 20. I mean, I guess Djokovic did it at 20, 8 years ago, but 1. that seems like an eternity ago and 2. careful what you wish for, I guess, since he's turned into a monster since then. 

Oh, for heaven's sake.  Azarenka lost to Kerber?  That means the final will be Serena v. Kerber/Zhang or Konta?  The f&*k?  Although I think there's a chance the semi with Radwanska could be good.

To be fair, while she's come close a number of times in their matches, Azarenka herself hasn't had a major win against Serena in a while. So not sure it would have made a difference anyway. 

Edited by truthaboutluv

The last ten years have been a ridiculous feast of great players. (Fed, Rafa, Murray finally winning a Wimbledon for Britain, and Novak figuring out his diet issues). So the sport is seriously in need of new blood- because we have been watching essentially these four guys win everything (with the exception of Stan and Cilic) for the past 5 years, and Fed and Rafa are certainly on the downward side of their careers. Novak and Murray are at the end of their peak tennis years (23-28). 

Before their rise, we had a few years where the major tournaments were won by male players who never did much else (Roddick's lone slam, Goran's Wimbledon win, Safin, Johannsson). We might be headed for a few lean years when the men's game doesn't generate that kind of excitement.

• Love 2

I still enjoy tennis and I will continue to watch, but I find now that my interest wanes usually when it gets to the semis because I know at least the same two of the top four will be in it.  The only one now who might not be is Nadal.  Up until that point, I enjoy it as much as ever.