Type keyword(s) to search

Tennis Thread

cms
  • Start Topic

I was on the phone with a friend tonight, she had been out all day and was watching Serena's match on ESPN without knowing the outcome.  I flipped it on, and saw it was early in the first set, so I just said "I won't say anything" when she wondered who Serena would play in the final.  I left it on after we hung up, and shortly after, I started seeing promos for Saturday's final, with a clip of the final shot and Vinci winning.  I know the results have been all over the place today, but you would thing that while airing the match in question, they would refrain from showing the outcome.

Eh, as a big time Monica Seles fan I can't wait for Serena to tie and surpass Steffi's Gunter Parche inflated 22 Major titles. Yes, I know it's not Steffi's fault, but that asshole got what he wanted by disabling Steffi's major rival.

Not even touching that debate but I will just say, the record most were really talking about was Serena repeating the Grand Slam and THAT no one can take from Steffi since there was no madman yet who stabbed one of her biggest rivals. And she did it at 19 years old. But all that said, I can't think of anyone who cares less about Serena breaking these records than Steffi herself. Unlike the Martina and Chrissie of the world who still hold on to their glory days like it's all they have, Steffi did what she had to on the tennis court and when it was time, moved on and hasn't looked back. And it's only made me love her even more. 

Well as my internet decided to crash out on me right as I was watching the Serena/Vinci match, I have been blessed to miss all the teeth gnashing, rationalizing, screams of outrage online and so much more. Mad, mad props to Vinci - to come from a set down against Serena who she had never beaten (never won more than 4 games off) and then still win after Serena got the early break in the third AND then to serve it out and win on a love game. Nothing but respect for that performance.

In my opinion, the smart play aside, I think this was a case of the player with nothing to lose triumphed. Vinci played her game with no fear, no hesitation because let's face it, no one gave her a prayer to win and hell she probably didn't think she would either. So she was able to just hit and go for it with no reservation. That and like most really good doubles players, she covers that court beautifully. On the other side, very disappointed for Simona but kudos to Pannetta. And yes, as soon as Vinci secured that upset, I thought "man, there are going to be some really pissed off Women's Final ticket holders."

At the start of the Open I said I was of two minds with regards to Serena chasing the Grand Slam - on the one hand, I wanted to see her pull it off to actually see history as it happened as I was too young when Steffi did. On the other hand, I wanted to see which player would have the gut and will to say "screw history" and upset her. I'll be honest, the name Roberta Vinci never crossed my mind, lol. So kudos to her. 

Meanwhile, the men's side continues to be an utter bore and disappointment. Could Cilic and Stan be anymore useless in those semi-finals? And now, oh joy, Federer and Djokovic in the finals. I continue to be mostly indifferent to Novak so whatever. And while I like Fed well enough and I guess it'd be nice to see him still BE able to pull one out of the bag, some of his stans annoy the ever loving crap out of me so I enjoy his being stuck at 17. But honestly, this is a total "who gives a shit" final for me. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

I loved the way Vinci moved around on the court and even though I don't know all that much about doubles, I could see how her experience playing doubles helped her against Serena.  I think in an act of desperation Serena resorted to one of her tricks, doing all that LOUD screaming to try and scare the bejesus out of her opponent, but Vinci would not be rattled.  She just quietly played her game.  I thought she was funny when she exhorted the crowd to give her some love after she won that incredible point, and she was delightful in the interview afterwards.   Of course, Serena's disappointed but she's got no reason to hang her head.  I thought it was a great match. 

I'm not even going to watch Federer/Djokovic.  I truly don't care.

• Love 1
I think in an act of desperation Serena resorted to one of her tricks, doing all that LOUD screaming to try and scare the bejesus out of her opponent, but Vinci would not be rattled.

I loved the moment when Serena had those three straight crazy screams/yells in one game and Vinci just stood there with a smile on her face and looked almost amused...sort of "um okay then." That totally endeared her to me and actually when I really started to believe she could win the match because it proved how truly unruffled and calm she was about the whole thing. 

I'm not even going to watch Federer/Djokovic.  I truly don't care.

*sigh* The tennis fan in me feels bad to just blow it off but goodness I cannot think of a men's final I've cared less about in a long time. 

Unlike the Martina and Chrissie of the world who still hold on to their glory days like it's all they have, Steffi did what she had to on the tennis court and when it was time, moved on and hasn't looked back. And it's only made me love her even more.

If I had a dollar for every time Chris or Martina said "Well, when I was playing..." I'd be retired at 37. They just can't let go, can they? I agree Steffi could care less. She's happily married, has her kids and does a lot of charity work with Andre. If she was about the numbers she wouldn't have retired three Grand Slams shy of breaking Court's record.

For whatever it's worth I didn't like Steffi as a player (her style of play and overall demeanor seemed so cold and mechanical to me) but absolutely adore her in retirement life with Andre and their kids.  I like that she was able to move on to something else and be very happy in it.

• Love 1

Mad, mad props to Vinci - to come from a set down against Serena who she had never beaten (never won more than 4 games off) and then still win after Serena got the early break in the third AND then to serve it out and win on a love game.

Just to clarify, it was 4 games in a set that Vinci had never exceeded against Serena. There were two matches where she won 7 games total. Also, I like Roberta's headshot.

• Love 1

Flavia and Roberta were cute after the former won.

Yes they were, and I loved it when Roberta tried to take the check out of Flavia's hand. 

I didn't know Flavia and Fognini were an item so I wonder if they're going to get married now that she's announced her retirement. 

I didn't know Flavia and Fognini were an item so I wonder if they're going to get married now that she's announced her retirement. 

They announced their wedding some time ago. It's planned for next summer. I think she's also been talking retirement for awhile but has done so well in a few tournaments it's kept being postponed. What a way to go out on top though. Now, if only Federer would do the same thing I wouldn't even begrudge him a final slam trophy (much)!

Unlike the Martina and Chrissie of the world who still hold on to their glory days like it's all they have, Steffi did what she had to on the tennis court and when it was time, moved on and hasn't looked back. And it's only made me love her even more.

I"m meh about Steffi because among other things,  her total  indifference to anything regarding the WTA and promoting womens tennis, ie BJK's legacy of the top players giving back to the sport as leaders.  Even Venus Williams spoke up for equal prize money for women but Steffi wouldn't give two shits about any of that during her playing days and afterwards.

Chris and Martina continue to make a living  with broadcasting, commentary, coaching, etc and I hardly think retired players who continue to be involved somehow in their sport "are holding on their glory days" because of it.   Hell any retired athlete who doesn't walk away completely and utterly  from the game could be construed as trying to relive their glory days.

If she was about the numbers she wouldn't have retired three Grand Slams shy of breaking Court's record.

She had struggled  through a couple of injury ridden seasons (97,98) and in 1999 she had a last hurrah when she won her first major in 3 years, the FO and then made it to the finals of Wimbledon.  It was a high note to finish on , but different strokes, her body was definitely wearing down, and I don't think she had much of a shot to get 3 more Majors at that point.

Edited by caracas1914

I'm happy to agree to disagree about Steffi. Some like her and some don't - fair enough. It's no different than any current or former top player. What I disagree with is the general dismissiveness about her success because Monica Seles got stabbed. That's a touchy debate that people will always have strong feelings about and I guess it is what it is.

But as I said above, I think the 22 Grand Slams was less of the focus since at this point I think everyone expects Serena will tie it and likely surpass it. The big story was the Grand Slam and as noted, whatever one thinks of Steffi, that can never be taken away from her. 

As for her contributions to tennis, ymmv but while maybe she didn't contribute enough by some standards to the sport, charity work has been a big part of her life for years, even when she was still competing. And I think it's admirable helping disadvantaged children, caring about animal causes and generally trying to contribute to the world and make it a better place. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1
But as I said above, I think the 22 Grand Slams was less of the focus since at this point I think everyone expects Serena will tie it and likely surpass it. The big story was the Grand Slam and as noted, whatever one thinks of Steffi, that can never be taken away from her.

I concur that Steffi's GS is impressive, as only Margaret Court and Mo Connolly had been able to accomplish that before her.

Personally I hope Serena passes Margaret Court's 24 Majors, because to me that is the most "inflated" record of all, most of them were in the Australian Open (9 wins) which most of the top players didn't even deign to play most of the years that Margaret won it.  

But yea, liking or disliking player is a waay subjective exercise...   It's like the Agassi/Sampras debates, so many fans had a visceral like/dislike simultaneously with the two Americans.   I fell on the Love Sampras/Hate Agassi camp and some of my friends it was vice/versa.

I'm happy to agree to disagree about Steffi. Some like her and some don't - fair enough. It's no different than any current or former top player. What I disagree with is the general dismissiveness about her success because Monica Seles got stabbed. That's a touchy debate that people will always have strong feelings about and I guess it is what it is.

See, I feel like the "what if?" about Steffi's slam total is absolutely a valid conversation to have, and yet at the same time, it doesn't really diminish her accomplishments in my mind or even put her status as one of the all-time greats into jeopardy.

Although maybe I'm in the minority? Just in terms of pure numbers, if Monica hadn't been stabbed, I feel like there's no way around the likelihood that Steffi's slam total would have been shaved down, and all other factors being the same, Serena probably would have surpassed whatever imaginary re-calcuated total number of slams Steffi would have earned without Monica being knocked out.

But again, like I said, to me that discussion doesn't diminish Steffi's career or legend status in my mind. I just find Monica's stabbing such a gross, horrifying anomaly in the annals of sports that it still deserves to be mentioned as part of the conversation about the slam numbers of the GOAT contenders.

• Love 1
I feel like the "what if?" about Steffi's slam total is absolutely a valid conversation to have

It's a very valid factor to raise.  I don't think it diminishes Graf's legacy at all, but it does, importantly, burnish Seles'.  I wasn't a fan of Monica's tennis (but was and am a big fan of what a lovely person she is), but I remember vividly at the time that she seemed to be on a clear march to toward GOAT status.  She was as unbeatable as any player I've ever seen.  It was shocking just how completely she dominated the previously completely dominant Graf.

I kept being reminded of that dynamic when the Federer-Rafa rivalry emerged.  You had one player with a breathtaking but orthodox game who seemed to be playing at a level no one could comprehend and seemed to be clearly on the way to being the greatest ever, but here comes a player with a very unorthodox game who, amazingly, takes the game to an even greater height (at least in the one-on-one with the first player.)  Thank heaven's no one stabbed Rafa.  (Although both Roger and Rafa have had unsettling meetings with over-eager fans on a couple of center court occasions - In fact, I think Roger had TWO at Roland Garros, right?  Including this year.  Remember Roger's dumbfounded expression as the security guys stood around twiddling their thumbs as this guy went right up to RF?  If the guy hadn't been an overly friendly nutcase but rather a nutcase with a gun or a knife, we could have all witnessed Roger Federer murdered right in front of us.)  

Edited by Harry24
  • Love 1
See, I feel like the "what if?" about Steffi's slam total is absolutely a valid conversation to have, and yet at the same time, it doesn't really diminish her accomplishments in my mind or even put her status as one of the all-time greats into jeopardy.

YMMV but I never debate hypotheticals. To me there's no point because there's no way to prove it one way or the other. Yes, one can argue all day that considering Seles' record when she was stabbed (winning 3 out of the 4 majors two years in a row) that there is no way she would not have won way more and by that token mean Steffi would have won less. But maybe not. Maybe someone would have come up who challenged Seles' game and stopped her from winning so many more. Look at Federer and Nadal for example, when Nadal started owning that rivalry and he seemed on path to just steamroll Fed's records and legacy. And along came Djokovic who finally got his head together and challenged Rafa, stopping him at three different Grand Slam finals in one year, much like what Rafa did to Federer a year or two earlier.

Or maybe Monica would have gone through some personal upheaval in her life that affected her game. To be clear, I'm not making excuses for Steffi's losses but it's interesting for all the talk of her and Monica's rivalry, people forget that Monica didn't even play Steffi in many of the Finals during that 91-92 season when she won 3 out of 4 slams both times.That was the period when Steffi lost one year to Zina Garrison at Wimbledon, lost to Martina at the US Open, lost to Arantxa at the French. And interestingly this was also the period when her father was being investigated and charged with tax evasion in Germany.

The point is there is simply no way to know for sure, one way or the other. And while it may not be the intent to diminish Steffi's success, that is how it always comes across. Sort of like an asterisk next to her career - it's like "yeah she was good but..." There is always the "but..." And don't get me wrong, I absolutely hate what happened to Seles and it is probably one of the most tragic things in sports. However, I just feel like it is used to sort of dismiss Steffi's career, whether that's the intention or not and I don't think that's fair. Because again while Monica was dominating their head to head at the time, the fact is many of Steffi's major losses during that period did not come from Monica, save for the French Open. And the fact is even with Monica gone she still had to win seven matches everytime to win every major she won after that. 

But more importantly, as I said in both posts above, the reason that debate being brought up in this current context bothers me is because the 22 GS really wasn't the story - it was achieving the calendar Grand Slam. The 22 GS was almost like an afterthought because again, I think everyone expects that Serena will tie it anyway. Moments after Serena lost, even in her shock, Chris Evert pretty much said, "well we know she'll get the one more to tie the 22 but it was about the calendar slam." That was really what all this history and media attention was about and as I've said, THAT no one can take from Steffi. Whatever happened later, she achieved something that no one, male or female, has been able to do again since she did it. The great Roger Federer couldn't do it, Pete Sampras, the legends before her like Martina and Chris, couldn't do it and with this Open, neither could Serena Williams. And that's not to take anything from these players and their greatness but I think it just proves how difficult a goal it was to achieve. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

Flavia and Roberta were cute after the former won.

Maybe it's because I just spent the day with two women I've been friends with for 20 years, but I was so touched by their camaraderie. It was lovely and heart-warming to see them embrace for so long at the net, Roberta with a huge smile on her face for her friend, and to see them happily talking together while they waited for the ceremony setup.

• Love 1

Well, for those of us who don't necessarily have a dog in this fight, we can at least root for Eva, who has been 100% right on her calls from the chair.

lol, McEnroe and company are practically fanboying over her. They're that impressed at how on point she's been with her calls. 

eta: Kudos to Fed for fighting right up until the bitter end. The thing is though he had SO many chances in that match and I agree with McEnroe and company that he played the better third set but Djokovic just came with the big/important points when it mattered the most. 

So um, something's going to have to give here because Djokovic is looking to run away with the men's game right now. The longer ranked guys don't have the consistency to truly challenge him on a regular basis. Stan and Murray are still not consistent formidable opponents and Federer just doesn't have the stamina and movement anymore to win those big points.

That's honestly what I noticed especially tonight and where Fed's age is a factor no matter how consistent he still is in getting deep into majors. The fact is Djokovic's biggest rival in terms of majors was really Rafa and who the hell knows what's going on there. His confidence is shot right now so who knows what version of himself will show up in 2016 and I don't see any of the other guys bringing it consistently to challenge Novak. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

lol, McEnroe and company are practically fanboying over her. They're that impressed at how on point she's been with her calls. 

eta: Kudos to Fed for fighting right up until the bitter end. The thing is though he had SO many chances in that match and I agree with McEnroe and company that he played the better third set but Djokovic just came with the big/important points when it mattered the most. 

So um, something's going to have to give here because Djokovic is looking to run away with the men's game right now. The longer ranked guys don't have the consistency to truly challenge him on a regular basis. Stan and Murray are still not consistent formidable opponents and Federer just doesn't have the stamina and movement anymore to win those big points.

That's honestly what I noticed especially tonight and where Fed's age is a factor no matter how consistent he still is in getting deep into majors. The fact is Djokovic's biggest rival in terms of majors was really Rafa and who the hell knows what's going on there. His confidence is shot right now so who knows what version of himself will show up in 2016 and I don't see any of the other guys bringing it consistently to challenge Novak. 

It does look like Nole will run away with 2016, but you never know with sports...maybe it will be the year Kyrgios breaks through to GS semis and finals, leading the crowds to finally, truly rally around Djokovic the way he so desperately craves.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 3

It does look like Nole will run away with 2016, but you never know with sports...maybe it will be the year Kyrgios breaks through to GS semis and finals, leading the crowds to finally, truly rally around Djokovic the way he so desperately craves.

lol... Poor Novak man, top of his game and still not the favorite at these matches. That crowd could not have been more pro-Federer. 

• Love 1
The point is there is simply no way to know for sure, one way or the other. And while it may not be the intent to diminish Steffi's success, that is how it always comes across. Sort of like an asterisk next to her career - it's like "yeah she was good but..." There is always the "but..."

I can see that, and it's fair for Graf fans to feel like that.  

However, "the but" for other fans is always going to be there.

Or maybe Monica would have gone through some personal upheaval in her life that affected her game.

This is where the Graf fans lose me.  Yea, like psycho rabid crazies  who deliberately stab and disable a player to let their rival who they are a fan of  regain top dog status is just an occurrence like any other.   Yea those kind of "some personal upheavals" are a dime a dozen.  Not.  Again the intent may not be to  diminish Seles accomplishments, but the  "hey, she might have faltered anyways rationale" MO is indeed implying that.

Anyways, that debate is always toxic and I admit both sides will never ever see eye to eye.

As to  the men's final, it was close but Novak was tougher mentally.  More often than not, Federer's  FH broke down under pressure.  As it was, I think Novak also had chances to have won it in straight sets, though of course it could have gone five, but regardless, I think the gap between Novak and Roger in these big Major 3 out of 5 set matches isn't exactly closing.   I think think this the 3rd straight USO loss Roger has had to Novak,  (SF  twice, and now a final) as well as losing the last two Wimbledon finals to Novak.

In fact, Novak I believe is the only competitor ever  to beat Roger in all 4 Majors at the SF or final level (Rafa and Roger have never met at the USO).    I'm not a really big fan of Novak's game, but the "gumby" moniker really applies, or maybe the Fantastic Four's "Mr. Fantastic" because it's so difficult to get a ball past him , or rather his recovery when he retrieves to get into position for the next shot is incredible. The biggest thing is how much he's beefed up his serve the last couple of years;, that used to be the part of his game that could break down.

Edited by caracas1914
This is where the Graf fans lose me.  Yea, like psycho rabid crazies  who deliberately stab and disable a player to let their rival who they are a fan of  regain top dog status is just an occurrence like any other.   Yea those kind of "some personal upheavals" are a dime a dozen.  Not.  Again the intent may not be to  diminish Seles accomplishments, but the  "hey, she might have faltered anyways rationale" MO is indeed implying that.

Just to be clear, my liking Steffi Graf doesn't mean I disliked Monica Seles. Why would I? She was seemingly one of the sweetest people ever (never knew her personally of course) and as I noted, I do think what she went through was a horrible situation and again, quite probably one of the worse moments in sports history ever. It was an awful, awful situation. 

And in no way was I diminishing Seles' accomplishments. I'm usually very careful in what I say, especially when it comes to touchy debates like this. I am not taking anything from what Seles did in those two years and I did specifically say that yes, she very well might have continued along that trajectory and keep winning and maybe go on to have the most GS wins. But that's why I used the example of Rafa.

Some pundits didn't think there would be anyone to match Federer for years to come and then Nadal came and started owning Federer and it seemed like "well he's running away with this..."  and suddenly Novak Djokovic (who sure had always been talented but I doubt some were expecting him to become as dominant as he has) gets his stuff together and Rafa is plagued with knee, wrist, etc. injuries.  My point is simply that we will never know and yes, we won't know because someone stopped her at the height of her success. But it's why I don't like to argue on a hypothetical. 

eta: I will say Monica's stabbing is why I get really annoyed when security is still so lax that idiots can still get onto the court. Sure no incident has happened but I just think it's irresponsible that people can still get so close to the players even for a few seconds. The worse was definitely the French Open when the guy came up to Roger trying to put a court jester hat on Roger's head and it was like 5 minutes before the useless security did anything.

Edited by truthaboutluv

Wow. I had no idea my comment about Steffi and the Grand Slam would inspire such a debate. So  glad to have found this forum. I was a frequent poster on TWOPs site but hadn't found the tennis thread here, until a fellow poster asked why he hadn't seen me over here.

(not to brag) I went to the French this year (the middle Sunday and Monday) I typically go to the US Open, but last year, I told my friends I wanted to see Nadal on clay before his body totally gives out (who knew it would be his confidence that would conk out first).

So, I got to see Nadal beat Jack Sock (the match before his total collapse vs Novak)

Really disappointed that Roger lost, he had his chances in the third to pull ahead, but Novak just played a smarter game. I also think Roger's attempts to get creative hurt him.. (a dropshot return,,, WTF).

And I hope one day the USTA hears me, but I hate hate hate the award presentation for the US Open. All the talk about the prize money is just sooooooo tacky. This is the only major that talks about the prize money and it just seems so crass. I wish they would get rid of it. (they won't, I know its sponsored, but I really think it diminishes the moment.)

• Love 1

Both the opening ceremony and the awards ceremony are incredibly tacky and overdone. I also agree mentioning the prize money is gauche.

I was hoping Fed could pull out one last Slam win, but I don't think it's going to happen. Novak is six years younger and three times faster, I don't think Roger will be able to beat him in a 3 out of 5.

Regarding Novak and crowd suppprt, I have mixed feelings. He comes across as too desperate to be liked, and I think it makes a lot of fans root against him. Personally, I don't care for his antics. There's a fine line between celebrating and being an arrogant jerk and he tends to cross it too many times for my liking.

• Love 4

... I get really annoyed when security is still so lax that idiots can still get onto the court. Sure no incident has happened but I just think it's irresponsible that people can still get so close to the players even for a few seconds.

I feel like something needs to change with the winner going to his or her box, too. Novak's walk back was a little worrying, not to mention just getting up there in the first place. Wheel out a stairway or something.

All the talk about the prize money is just sooooooo tacky. This is the only major that talks about the prize money and it just seems so crass.

It is a bit hard to hear about the huge amount of money when most of the people on this planet don't have a small percentage of that. The only positive thing I can say about mentioning the money is that it might serve as a reminder that the US Open pays men and women the same amount.

I agree that presenting the money in the awards ceremony is crass.  I wondered if that was actually the real check in the envelope.  I can't believe it is.

I do have a question regarding prize money though.  For example, in the U.S. Open, the first round winner won $39,500, so what did the loser get?  And then from then on, does the loser get what s/he made in the previous round? 

I copied this chart for the Men's/Women's Singles

Winners (1)
$3,300,000

Runners-Up (1)

Semifinalists (2)

Quarterfinalists (4)

Round of 16 (8)

Third Round (16)

Second Round (32)

First Round (64)

TOTAL (128)

$33,017,800

Edited by Ohwell

The loser in the first round gets $39,500 (that came up in the press this year with the retirement of Serena's first opponent).

That could change for R1 losers, though, at least on the WTA side:

To dissuade an injured player from going ahead with a match she might not finish, the women’s tour has proposed a rule that would give a player 70 percent — or even all — of her first-round prize money if that player had been directly accepted into the tournament and subsequently withdrew on site. The player’s replacement would go on to earn tour points and the rest of the prize money.

Edited by dcalley

She alleges it was a “slippery, foreign, and dangerous” substance that caused her to fall. 

Yeah.  Water.  In a locker room, on the floor next to the ice bath.

As a lawyer, I just threw up a little in my mouth.

Was there insufficient drainage in the 'wet' area of the locker room or a lack of anti-slip surfacing applied to the floor there?

I spent a lot of time in assorted locker rooms in my swim team days, and some were definitely better in that regard than others.

I wonder if Bouchard realizes she's essentially blackballed herself with this frivolous lawsuit. Accidents happen. Locker room floors are traditionally wet and slippery. It's like suing McDonald's because the coffee is too hot.

When your product or environment is presented in a condition that is indeed truly dangerous, then the organization serving it does rather deserve legal action at times. A summary of the McDonalds coffee case via the message boards at snopes:

http://msgboard.snopes.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=107;t=000479;p=0

700+ injuries from overly hot coffee reported but McDonalds did nothing to correct the problem before the lawsuit.

• Love 1

A Fed/Nadal matchup. What a treat! Wish I could find a Tennis Channel stream because both the ATP coverage with Jason Goodall and the Sky Sports people are so biased it makes me nauseous. They've all come right out and said that Rafa needn't bother to even show up because the incredibly amazing wonderful Fed will win easily. *gag* I hear Annacone is relatively fair to Nadal and that would be so nice to listen to for a change.

I think Rafa just may win this. He's been playing so much better in the last month and he's finally getting his confidence back which is hugely important for him. I watched a bit of Fed/Sock yesterday and wasn't impressed at all. If he plays as badly today as he did yesterday, Rafa can beat him again. Whatever, I'm looking forward to the match as we're likely not going to get too many more Fedal matches in the future.

Serena Williams is SI's Sportsperson of the Year. She totally deserves it. Although I'm still heartbroken that she got so, so close to winning the Grand Slam but didn't quite get it. (I know my heartbreak pales in comparison to what she felt and continues to feel). 

• Love 1