Type keyword(s) to search

Tennis Thread

cms
  • Start Topic

Just saw this posted over at Jezebel and at the NYTimes - Nike's premiere tennis dress they designed for Wimbledon doesn't stay down.  Good Lord, you can tell just by looking at it that it wouldn't work.  If a player has to put a headband around it in order to make it functional, then you shit the bed when designing it.  No wonder Serena and Sabine Lisicki refused to wear it (per the Jezebel article).

• Love 2

Minor point, but I think saying Serena refused to wear it is incorrect. NYTimes: "One Nike-sponsored player not affected by the dress design was Serena Williams. Nike provides unique outfits for her." I wouldn't be surprised to find out that she has a say in her outfits' design from an earlier stage, too, since her name is on it.

How early did Nike have an actual professional tennis player try on the dress? Sheesh. A dress you might step on (e.g., while in I-formation in doubles, as a coach in the NYTimes article said) is not practical. Not to mention the other issues. So many other issues.

Yeah, I question The Mail's claims that Serena and Sabine wouldn't wear the dress. Serena and Sabine have been in completely different outfits/silhouettes all year, so I'm pretty sure they were never "assigned" the Wimbledon nightgown dress. 

The dress in question is basically the same shapeless outfit that Nike's been putting Bouchard in all year at the slams. She wore a red and white version at the Australian Open and a royal blue version at Roland Garros.

Nike used to have such trendsetting outfits back in the late '90s. I'll never forget that black dress with white piping they designed for Mary Pierce in '96.

• Love 2

Yaaaay Delpo!  I'm so happy for Del Potro getting into the 3rd round.  I like Warwrinka, too, but I was kind of surprised and disappointed at his reaction.  He just walked off the court in a snit and wouldn't even look up at the crowd as they applauded for him.

• Love 2

I am actually surprised at all the talk of the NIKE dress being so revealing. Considering some of the outfits women tennis players have worn over the years - many of Serena's outfits (remember the catsuit) and Kournikova's outfits, I don't really see anything so revealing about the dress, even with the sheerness of it. What I think is the problem is that it is not functional. Because it's so thin, since they were going for a lingerie-inspired look, the dress flaps and moves all over the place when the women are trying to serve and it is very distracting to them. That is the real problem there and NIKE designers, whose job is working with athletes and understanding their needs, should have realized this. But I don't really agree with all the talk of it being so revealing and inappropriate. YMMV. 

(edited)
6 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I haven't read much about the outfits being called "revealing"; it was more that they looked like nighties.  And they do.

Well yes, the lingerie comment, which I mentioned above, is exactly why some have said it is too revealing. Just today I was reading an article with comments from Judy Murray about the controversy and there were quotes in that article from commentators who called it too skimpy and some players who yes, said it was too revealing. Lisicki's reason for rejecting the outfit completely was that she didn't feel comfortable showing that much on the court. 

Boo, rain delaying a certain match until tomorrow

As soon as the rain came at the start of the third set, I went back to my feelings of disinterest. Because we all know how this will play out - Djokovic will come out tomorrow 100%, guns blazing and win. Because let's face it, much as I would love an upset, it was clear that he was sluggish and not himself at all on that court today. I don't see that happening again tomorrow. The third set will be a little competitive and create some tension but once he wins that, he'll likely run away with the fourth and fifth. Go ahead Sam, prove me wrong...I want you to. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1
(edited)
42 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

As soon as the rain came at the start of the third set, I went back to my feelings of disinterest. Because we all know how this will play out - Djokovic will come out tomorrow 100%, guns blazing and win. Because let's face it, much as I would love an upset, it was clear that he was sluggish and not himself at all on that court today. I don't see that happening again tomorrow. The third set will be a little competitive and create some tension but once he wins that, he'll likely run away with the fourth and fifth. Go ahead Sam, prove me wrong...I want you to. 

Ha, glad you knew which match I was talking about. I just realized that what I wrote could be interpreted as one of the many matches that was cancelled before even starting. But we all know the break is very significant in how the rest of the match will go.

Edited by dcalley

What an amazing performance by Querry!  

In his after-match interview,  Djokovic was asked if he was 100% physically.  He indicated that he was not, but refused to elaborate.  He said that he would not be playing Davis Cup and hadn't decided about playing the Olympics.

John McEnroe predicted that Djokovic won't play in the Olympics - that he needed some significant time away from tennis.  Nothing was said about the U.S. Open.

Well once again I missed a big moment, as I was out. I will say, when I woke up and saw the 4-0 score in the third set before the rain delay, I pretty much wrote this off. But I saw when they came back and finished the set and played the first two games of the fourth set before the second rain delay and my gut said Querry would pull it off. Because the thing I never expected, that is, Djokovic would come back still not looking and playing like himself, happened.

He was still making very uncharacteristic errors and just seemed off. So I knew if Querry could hold his nerves, he could do it. I wonder if Djokovic is suffering from an emotional come down after the high of winning the French. I think he wanted the French so badly and worked so hard for it that emotionally he may just sort of be in a lull. I'm sure he'll back in a winning position for the Open. 

Poor Tsonga.  I feel sorry for anybody who gets Isner, because it goes on and on and on and on.....................................................................

• Love 1

Why doesn't ESPN just rename itself The Williams Sister Channel?  When Serena's Centre Court match was suspended briefly for rain, ESPN switched to coverage of Venus' match on Court 1 even though it was already being shown on ESPN2.  So Venus' match was being shown on both channels while there were other singles matches (men and women) going on on other courts.  Of course, one could still watch the match(es) of one's choosing by watching the streaming feed on a mobile device.  I know that ESPN will stick with a Serena match no matter how one-sided and boring it is, rather than show a more competitive match with anybody else.  But don't they realize that at least some of their audience are actually tennis fans, not just Williams Sisters fans?

• Love 2
(edited)

I agree about the Williams sisters, but they do the same thing when Federer is on.

I, too, was irritated as hell when Venus was on both channels.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 1

Speaking of, I didn't realize that the organizers were not moving the top players around like they typically do - apparently save for Djokovic who lost on Court 1. I really thought Federer, Murray and Serena had played at least one of their matches so far on Court 1 but apparently not. Now, we all know I'm not Djokovic's number one fan but in in the interest of fairness, since I bitched a lot at the French Open putting Rafa on a smaller show court (of course that was also because it was his first round match and start of his title defense but moving on...) I think that was a little disrespectful to Novak. And they can't possibly say it's because they thought the other matches would have had more drama because has Federer played seeded player yet? 

I consistently have gripes about what matches get aired. ESPN will always favor the Williams sisters and Fed/Djokavic/Nadal because they think they have the broadest appeal. But I agree with @clb1016 that tennis fans want to see the best match-- not necessarily the highest ranked player (or in the case of the US Open-- the American player) Because let's face it-- US men haven't made much news. They kept saying during the Novak/Querry that Agassi was the last American male to beat a number one ranked player in a grand slam tournament. That's pretty sad.

That said, hooray Sam! I'm no longer dreading another Novak final! (sorry Djoker fans, I just don't like him) I'm also excited because Querry, Monfils and Del Potro are coming to the little tournament here in DC-- and it's always so cool to see these guys play live and up close in our tiny little stadium. 

(edited)
1 hour ago, sacrebleu said:

That said, hooray Sam! I'm no longer dreading another Novak final! (sorry Djoker fans, I just don't like him) I'm also excited because Querry, Monfils and Del Potro are coming to the little tournament here in DC-- and it's always so cool to see these guys play live and up close in our tiny little stadium. 

I go to the Citi Open every year, but I make sure to check a few days before to see who has dropped out.  Monfils, in particular, has been known to drop out (I did see him there eight or nine years ago when it was the Legg Mason tournament).  I hope Del Portro can make it again.  I've seen Querrey there in the past, so expect him to show up again.  Also Raonic, Dimitrov, Isner and Berdych come to mind. 

Edited by Ohwell
(edited)

Crap.  I'll just ignore him.

Nishikori might be there too.

Also, I don't feel bad about saying that I don't notice the women players at all. ; )

Edited by Ohwell

Ugh, Cilic was so close.... I am not a fan of Roger "Bitter Beer Face" Federer at all.  I didn't want Djokovic to win again, but I don't want Federer to win either.  I've never been a fan, not even when he was at the height of his greatness.  The fact that the Wimbledon website has to show us a clip of David Beckham in the box celebrating Federer's win is yet another reason to dislike him.

Hoping Murray or Raonic can deny him the win.

So thrilled that both Venus and Serena are in the semis.  Venus (Goddess on a Mountaintop!) is playing the best she has played in years.  I think she will have a tough time against Kerber, but it'd be so great if both sisters made it to the final.

Also, I don't feel bad about saying that I don't notice the women players at all. ; )

I find this so interesting because I have a friend who is the same (of course I think she's as anti-feminist as can be since she hates every female version of every sport and never seems to root for the women in any competition. It's weird...) and I think there is so much great tennis in the women's game. Yes, Serena is pretty dominant but this year we've seen some really great matches and talent from other players and hell, with Djokovic's dominance the last year and a half there hasn't been much I found interesting in the men's game. YMMV of course. 

Ugh, Cilic was so close

The moment he blew those three break chances in the third set to go up 4-3 and immediately got broken by Federer, I knew it was over and said out loud, "when you lose this match, remember this moment because that's when you lost it." I have never disliked Federer but I did find some of his fans' cheering and automatic assumption that the title was his when Djokovic lost a little annoying. Granted, his most recent Grand Slam losses have all been to Djokovic but we've seen when everyone acts like someone winning is a given - um, Djokovic 2015 French Open after beating Rafa for the first time at the French and then he lost to Wawrinka. Yes, Fed looks strong but frankly, today's match against Cilic was the first time he's been tested the whole tournament. Dude hadn't even faced a seeded player yet, all the way to the Quaterfinals. 

Venus (Goddess on a Mountaintop!) is playing the best she has played in years.

I know Serena really wants that 22 but I kind of really want Venus to win it all. She's been through a lot the last few years with her health and illness derailing her. It'd just be a really nice story and moment. 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

I find this so interesting because I have a friend who is the same (of course I think she's as anti-feminist as can be since she hates every female version of every sport and never seems to root for the women in any competition. It's weird...) and I think there is so much great tennis in the women's game. Yes, Serena is pretty dominant but this year we've seen some really great matches and talent from other players and hell, with Djokovic's dominance the last year and a half there hasn't been much I found interesting in the men's game. YMMV of course. 

The reason I don't notice the women is because, as a (hetero) woman, I go to the Citi Open to walk around and surreptitiously ogle the men.  I like watching the men play.  It has absolutely nothing to do with feminism, and everything to do with my sex drive.  

• Love 3

I generally prefer the men's game to the women's game, although I'd like to think my hormones are not affecting my judgment.  But if you missed the Cibulkova/Radwanska match over the weekend, you missed an amazing match.  You don't have to be a feminist to appreciate the fight and determination they brought to the match.  As tough as any men's match I've seen in quite a while.

(edited)

Look, I didn't mean for this to be a discussion about men's vs. women's tennis.  I watch women's tennis as well, just not at this particular venue. My post was strictly about what I like to do at the Citi Open in DC, and it was mainly directed at those of us who live in the DC area and attend the tournament.  I have fun there, and I like to look at the guys play.  End of story.

As I said before, it was not intended to be a post about feminism or women's tennis.  Good Lord.

Edited by Ohwell
(edited)
18 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Look, I didn't mean for this to be a discussion about men's vs. women's tennis.  I watch women's tennis as well, just not at this particular venue. My post was strictly about what I like to do at the Citi Open in DC, and it was mainly directed at those of us who live in the DC area and attend the tournament.  I have fun there, and I like to look at the guys play.  End of story.

As I said before, it was not intended to be a post about feminism or women's tennis.  Good Lord.

Ohwell, since the proverbial can of worms has been opened, I feel I must chime in: 

I prefer watching women's tennis, although I'm equally as interested in the outcomes of men's matches. Not for feminist reasons, either. I just find the women's game more  fun to watch. The men's game consists mostly of powerful serves and ground strokes, and the women's game, while it has those elements, also tends to have more angled shots, drop shots, and net court. IMO, the women's game looks more like a graceful, athletic dance than the men's game does. In fact, women's tennis reminds me lot of gymnastics, one of my other favorite sports. And another sport where I prefer watching women over men. 

--Except for Rafa. He's the one male player whose match I would choose over a women's match. But his game is also very acrobatic and dance-like, so there's that. 

Now basketball? I love the WNBA, but I'll quickly change the channel to watch an NBA playoff game. LeBron, Steph Curry, and Russell Westbrook (among others)? Those guys are sexiness in motion. 

Edited by topanga
(edited)

Bummed for Venus but really happy for Kerber. It's nice to see her have such a great tournament after so many were scoffing and writing her off as a fluke after she had such a poor clay court season. Although Serena hasn't been able to pull it out the last two Finals, I actually think she'll win this one.

While she was hungry for the win before, now I think she's just pissed off that she hasn't won and will come out with a vengeance. But Kerber should come in confident or at the least not intimidated, knowing that she can beat Serena and at a GS Final, since she just did it a few months ago. I'm just hoping for a really good final. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1
(edited)

I'm a fan of Roger so I'm viewing this through Fed-colored glasses but the slobbering over everything Raonic has done so far by Chris and the other guy is very irritating.

(the other guy is Darren, I could not think of his name until Chris addressed him)

Edited by mojoween
(edited)

Admittedly I am not watching the match with the commentary on because I rarely do, but I honestly cannot imagine any commentary where the other player is lauded more than Federer, unless maybe he's playing Rafa or Djokovic. I say this with no criticism against Roger himself, but tennis media treats him like a god and have for years. Maybe the commentary is complimentary to Raonic because they're just happy he didn't just lay down and die in the match and is actually attempting to make it something worthy of a semifinal. And good for him in my opinion. I don't expect him to win but at least he's fighting. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

I say this with no criticism against Roger himself, but tennis media treats him like a god and have for years. 

Yeah-- Its one reason I don't like watching his matches on tv-- the tongue bathing gets a little ridiculous. I recall in 2009, the year he won the French and then Wimbledon. During the US Open I think it was McEnroe going on and on about how incredible he was, and that he was having this amazing year professionally-- the same year his twin girls were born. At one point Mary Carillo interjected, "I think it's important to point out that Roger did not actually give birth." 

I don't think I've ever laughed harder.

I much prefer the men's game to the women. I have to be a fan of one of the women players to get into the match (like Graf, or Henin, or Kusnetzova) but I can watch any men's match and enjoy it.

• Love 3

Well that sucked hot monkey balls.  I didn't realize just how hard I was rooting for Roger until just now when I am so bummed I have a stomachache.  I hope this isn't it for him.

Pfft.  Canada.  Now I will root for Andy.

• Love 1
(edited)

Well damn Roanic, make a liar out of me why don't you :) But that was a pretty amazing performance. Kudos to him for especially holding it together in the fourth where he was down multiple break points, which would have put the match completely on Federer's racket. And not only saving those break points but coming up with the big points when it counted the most at 6-5. And he was just solid in that fifth.

I loved all the commentators talking about nerves and whether he would be able to hold it together serving for the match because it was such a big moment and meanwhile, Roanic looked completely and utterly unfazed. Again, huge congrats to him. He's a player that's been hovering just below the big moment line for awhile. And once again, proves that people shouldn't count their chickens before they are hatched. I knew it was a bad idea for some Fed fans to act like Djokovic's loss meant his winning was a given. 

I'm actually really interested in Murray and Berdych and think it could go either way. Berdych has proven himself before at Wimbledon and Murray is such a see-saw player that I can see him just falling apart if Berdych gets an early lead and sort of just gets in his head. 

Edited by truthaboutluv

Fantastic performance by Raonic!  Thrilled for him and for Canada!  Raonic appears to be hitting his stride, I would love to see him win the Championship.  And with up and coming junior boys' players Felix Auger-Auliassime and Denis Shapovalov, maybe the future of Canadian men's tennis is bright.

Buh bye Bitter Beer Face!  So glad he is gone.  I fully agree about the Deification of Federer by the media and his adoring fans.  It's like every thing he does, we are told we should appreciate, because we are in the presence of a living, breathing god on earth.  And as I said upthread, the fact that David Beckham in his box is news is just one of the many reasons why he annoys me.

• Love 2

Today he also had Jude Law and Bradley Cooper in his box!  There must be some sort of hotness quotient to be a Fed fan.

The funny thing is, when Andy Roddick was getting slaughtered by him on the regular, I HATED Federer.  Hated everything about him especially his stupid hair.  But then for some odd reason I started rooting for Fed, other than when he would play Roddick and then I would hate him again.

(edited)

But then for some odd reason I started rooting for Fed, other than when he would play Roddick and then I would hate him again

I have never hated Federer. I am certainly not a fan in the way I love Rafa but he's never really bothered me. And I have always appreciated the beauty of his game. That said, the times he played and beat Roddick were when I loved him the most. Everytime he denied that little shit a Wimbledon title it was glorious. Yeah in case it wasn't obvious - not a Roddick fan. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
15 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Today he also had Jude Law and Bradley Cooper in his box!  There must be some sort of hotness quotient to be a Fed fan.

The funny thing is, when Andy Roddick was getting slaughtered by him on the regular, I HATED Federer.  Hated everything about him especially his stupid hair.  But then for some odd reason I started rooting for Fed, other than when he would play Roddick and then I would hate him again.

LOL, I have always hated everything about him, and can't agree enough about his stupid hair.  Stupid floppy hair with the stupid floppy headband.  Maybe he will take that stupid hair into retirement.  How awful that he basically double faulted away the match with that horrific fourth set game.

It's funny, because when Serena was dominating, I really grew to dislike her.  I tend to dislike when one player is so dominant and wins most of the time (cf Sampras, Federer, Djokovic).  But as she has gotten older, I find myself really rooting for her.  It's nice to see that one of the oldest players on the tour is still as powerful and dominant as she ever was.

I think part of it is that as I am aging, I want to root for the oldies (generally anyone around 32 or older).  But that doesn't seem to extend to Federer, who I have always hated.  Another that I have always hated that I still hate today even though she is past her prime is Jelena Jankovic.  Never cared for her or her alien looking face.  Yes, she was #1, but she never won anything, and she didn't win any points with me when she complained several years ago about being a former #1 yet relegated to Court 16 or something like that.

1 hour ago, sacrebleu said:

Yeah-- Its one reason I don't like watching his matches on tv-- the tongue bathing gets a little ridiculous. I recall in 2009, the year he won the French and then Wimbledon. During the US Open I think it was McEnroe going on and on about how incredible he was, and that he was having this amazing year professionally-- the same year his twin girls were born. At one point Mary Carillo interjected, "I think it's important to point out that Roger did not actually give birth." 

I don't think I've ever laughed harder.

Mary Carillo is a national treasure.

McEnroe was commentating the match on WatchESPN, which was kind of weird, giving his coaching involvement with Raonic. But he was quieter than usual, I thought, which was nice. (I only saw part of the match, though.)

• Love 1

Other than the garbage outcome (sorry, still bummed about it) the most wonderful thing about Fed/Raonic was how quiet it was.  Not hearing grunts and groans and shrieks and screeches was so soothing.

• Love 2
(edited)

I have no rationale basis for "hating" Roger as much as I do. As players go he's certainly not among the most boorish or poor sportsman like so many are, but it's more the cognitive dissonance I get with how he's perceived as the Golden Boy sportsman nonpareil and what I pick up. (It's just me, obviously because he's been awarded the Stefan Edgerg award beaucoup  times from his fellow players.)

Roger seems not to get it so many times almost to the point of passive aggressive obliviousness.

For example, when he beat Andy Roddick for his 14th Major title at 2009 Wimbledon with an epically long 5th set, Roger said tried to say he knew how Andy felt. Don’t be too sad,” Federer told Roddick, referencing  his loss to Nadal in 2008 final. “I went through the rough ones as well, even one on this court last year, but I came back and won.”

WTF??  Roger had won 13 titles to Andy's 1 at that point,  had just won his FIFTH Wimbledon (to Andy's ZERO) and the smug, tone deaf reply by Roger, who no doubt was actually sincere, had me throwing things at the screen.

Edited by Flippant
  • Love 1

YMMV but I remember many having that reaction to that moment and honestly, maybe I was in the minority because I actually believed Roger was genuinely trying to be kind and give Roddick some encouragement. I felt the same when he won in 2012, beating Murray and Murray was so emotional as well and he told Murray that he did want him to have that moment. And Murray took the comment in the vein it was intended. Similarly last year Serena told Muguruza not to cry because she was talented and she would have her moment. When Venus beat Henin I think it was, she mentioned how she didn't even win one set in her first final and Henin took her to three in that final.

Yes, I am sure it is awful for the player who has just lost and it can be frustrating hearing, "you'll get there" from this person who's won a ton but I honestly never felt like any of these players intended to be anything but generous to their opponent. And while Roger was judged for that moment, frankly it made me dislike Roddick more with his pissy response out loud, while Federer was talking. And everyone came back with, "he'd just lost a heart breaking final, what else was he supposed to feel." Sure, except I always found Roddick snotty and pissy with his many digs and sarcasm that much of the U.S. tennis media thought was so cute and clever but whenever he was called out for it, tried to act like he didn't mean anything by it. The same way some feel about Federer is how I felt about Roddick. I never liked him and he was overrated as far as I was concerned. 

• Love 2

I remember that too and as a casual Tennis fan, I've never really had issue with Fed or his comment to Andy. I've always see Roger as what he appears about which is phlegmatic, modulated, and Swiss. It can come off as slightly smug to the people who do not know them, but the Swiss can be quite no-nonsense. They are not emotional in the way some other Western Europeans are. I've always believed reports about Roger being a good or at least, polite guy. I mostly ignore the tongue bathing he gets from the media, but that's because I don't follow tennis regularly. I like that Roger is low key in his comments and it's in a way that I've not found Roddick or even Murray to be at times.

In any case, as a Canadian, really pleased that Raonic won. Sadly, I won't be able to watch the match live Sunday, but I'm rooting for him.