Type keyword(s) to search

Tennis Thread

cms
  • Start Topic

You know, this is why some complain about ESPN's coverage. Listen, as a tennis fan I have nothing but respect for Serena's talent and what she is trying to achieve at this Open. But for crying out loud, she is NOT the only player at the tournament. And taking time away just to show her on the practice court after her match, while extolling some more on the same damn points they've already made all while multiple matches are going on around the courts is ridiculous.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 5

taking time away just to show her on the practice court after her match

Seriously. I had to watch the Nadal match online, because ESPN was too busy showing Serena practicing. I know that American players take priority in ESPN's coverage, even at the expense of more compelling, or even higher quality matches, but Jesus! a practice session over an actual match. 

(I don't know if TC had dibs on airing the Rafa match or something).

truthaboutluv, on 02 Sept 2015 - 6:29 PM, said:

You know, this is why some complain about ESPN's coverage. Listen, as a tennis fan I have nothing but respect for Serena's talent and what she is trying to achieve at this Open. But for crying out loud, she is NOT the only player at the tournament. And taking time away just to show her on the practice court after her match, while extolling some more on the same damn points they've already made all while multiple matches are going on around the courts is ridiculous.

I agree, and I'm a huge Serena fan. Even during Venus's match, one of the commentators (guy Chris?) kept asking Chris Everett about Serena's game but tried to keep it on-topic by constantly asking her to compare Venus and Serena. There were times I heard reluctance in Chris Everett's voice when she was making comments. It could've been that she likes to think of the sisters as two separate people and not two sides of the same coin, or it could be that she didn't want to talk ad nauseam about Serena during someone else's match.

The media keeps saying, "Serena feels so much pressure. Serena feels so much pressure." But you're the ones creating drama and pressure with your non-stop coverage.

Rafa, sweetie, your shorts are too short.  I know as part of your serving ritual you pick your shorts out of your butt crack, but with those short shorts it just looks nasty.  That other guy's shorts are just the right length, just above the knee.  Get a pair, Rafa.

Not just short. They're tight. Rafa has a slammin body, but still. I watched his match last night, and he tugs his shorts out of his butt before every serve. I'm sure this is part of his pre-serve ritual: tug shorts, touch forehead and ears, bounce ball 3 times, then serve, but the shorts really were up his butt. Every time. 

Somehow I don't think his real underwear looks like the sparkling white undies in the Hilfiger ad.

The endless comparisons between Venus and Serena got so annoying last night that I ended up muting the volume on my tv. Enough already! Both sisters have accomplished great things, why does it have to be a competition? The announcers have really been working my nerves and we're only three days in.

I also agree 100% about Rafa's shorts. He always looks like his clothes shrunk in the wash.

• Love 1

Until she lost, I kept seeing "O. Dodin" pop up on the scoreboard and my head would turn it into "Oudin." Remember her? She is playing doubles (with the woman who beat her in R3 of qualifying).

Yesterday's Bryans v. Querry/Johnson was really good.

• Love 1

I honestly don't know how Kyrgios has fans. I'm watching this match with Murray and you see many flashes of the talent that's there but dude's whole demeanor, energy, body language, etc. is so negative. And not just negative as in he's acting like he's already lost but negative as in he looks annoyed, irritated, like he's over it, almost don't want to be there, etc. It's weird. Murray funny enough is actually not playing that well but he's about to go two sets up because Kyrgios is really not showing any real fight. 

Ha, you can say this about Murray a lot, too (bold mine).

It was hard to watch Jack Sock collapse earlier.

• Love 2
Ha, you can say this about Murray a lot, too (bold mine).

Oh I have, many times when expressing why Murray bores me greatly. That said, the difference I was trying to point out is that Murray's negativity to me is often of the everything seems to hurt, woe is me, shoulders slumped, defeated body language, etc. Kyrgios on the other hand is more of irritated, angry negativity. Honestly, I found myself tense watching that match because I kept feeling like any minute Kyrgios would just snap or go off on someone. He just seemed so annoyed at life and the world. 

• Love 3

I went to bed with Mannarino up 2 sets, not expecting it to last, but still .... There is not a single player I would like to see gone more than Murray, but he just won't go away.

As for the American coverage with its endless Serena talk - I'm watching the coverage on EuroSport with Italian commentators ... who would have known people could talk endlessly about Fognini and Seppi?!

I had forgotten how much I hate Pam Shriver's interviews and pretty much everything else she does on ESPN. She talks too damn much.

I haven't watched tennis for a while, so I didn't know ESPN got the weekend days from CBS. I'm so old, I miss the USA coverage. Bill Macatee was my tv boyfriend every summer.

I agree that Rafa's shorts are too short and too tight.

• Love 1

I had forgotten how much I hate Pam Shriver's interviews and pretty much everything else she does on ESPN. She talks too damn much.

I haven't watched tennis for a while, so I didn't know ESPN got the weekend days from CBS. I'm so old, I miss the USA coverage. Bill Macatee was my tv boyfriend every summer.

I agree that Rafa's shorts are too short and too tight.

While I'm no fan of...well, anyone on ESPN with the possible and sometime exception of Darren Cahill, Pam is a 2nd to Brad Gilbert in the "talks too damn much" category.

For the most part, there is no more network coverage of tennis; ESPN does tape-delayed replays of the finals of Wimbledon and the Australian Open on ABC in the afternoon after they've aired live. I forget the exact set-up for the French this year but they may have done the same.

I disagree about the length of Rafa's shorts; I actually like them and mentioned this either earlier this year or last year when he switched to them. I was one who teased mercilessly when he first arrived on the scene 10 years ago with hi clam-digger, Capri pants below the knee. The length he now wears was the standard for much of the 70s and 80s; there was a shorter length, initiated by Connors and Borg in the late 70s which was about 2 inches shorter. I say this as I grew up and started playing tennis during this era. I primarily wore the Arthur Ashe collection by Catalina in the 70s, then went to Le Coq Sportif and IXSPA in the 80s (also Arthur Ashe endorsements) with some Boast and Fila, later Polo Ralph Lauren. I had one set of Robert Bruce terry cloth shorts which were Jimmy Connors signature which were incredibly short, almost obscene, but I was a 17 horny American male. The problem that I have with the longer basketball-type shorts which became popular in the 90s with Sampras is the pockets which have you carrying the ball too low and loosely such that it can be distracting when you run. by hitting at or above your knee.

So tennis experts, tell me -  has Rafa ever lost after being up 2 sets in a match?

I'm not watching because this is painful. I really think this match is a testament to what Rafa has really struggled with since coming back from the injury. Much as John McEnroe bugs, I agree with him that Rafa is having problems sustaining his level during matches which is not something you ever saw before. There is absolutely NO reason this match had to get to that point.

I don't know if it is the confidence issue but I would think being in a winning position would make him confident in a match. But it's like he has two brilliant sets and then he can't fully sustain it and physically he seems fine. And hopefully he pulls it out because if he doesn't, these kinds of losses will just keep playing on his confidence even more. 

So tennis experts, tell me -  has Rafa ever lost after being up 2 sets in a match?

I'm not watching because this is painful. I really think this match is a testament to what Rafa has really struggled with since coming back from the injury. Much as John McEnroe bugs, I agree with him that Rafa is having problems sustaining his level during matches which is not something you ever saw before. There is absolutely NO reason this match had to get to that point.

I have and always will LOVE late night tennis from the Open.

I agree with you but from an entirely different perspective. Note: I am not a Rafa fan (FedFan) but I do recognize his gifts, etc. I think Fognini could and should have won this match in 4, maybe even 3 sets. He definitely should have won the 1st set imo. He just went off the beam for the final 3 or 4 games; Nadal remained solid but by no means spectacular. I think that allowed Nadal to continue to roll through the 2nd set which he may have won even if Fognini had won the 1st. Nadal will have to grind this out with some continued "help" from Fognini catching the net. (It's 2-2 now.) I don't see him running away with it but Fognini could.

I think Fognini could and should have won this match in 4, maybe even 3 sets. He definitely should have won the 1st set imo. He just went off the beam for the final 3 or 4 games; Nadal remained solid but by no means spectacular.

Agree to disagree. Yes Rafa wasn't spectacular but he didn't need to be because while Fognini had some moments of brilliance, his serve wasn't so great and he was spraying balls all over the place. And while Rafa wasn't spectacular, he was steady - his serve was good, he was hitting his forehands and backhands very well and there were some flashes of the brilliance people are used to in there. I absolutely disagree that Fognini should have won in 3 or 4 sets. I do not believe that Fognini was outplaying Rafa and just went off a few games. Rafa came up with the moments when it counted in some key games.

And while Fognini was brilliant to get the break back in the third, the second break was Rafa's serve going to shit. And now apparently he's incapable of holding his serve at all in this fifth set. I don't see how he can pull this out and it is disappointing. If I felt like Rafa got solidly outplayed, I would say so, as I have many times before, much as I adore him. That's not what happened here. It was a combination of Fognini having some great moments and Rafa's quality going way down the longer the match went on. 

Edited by truthaboutluv

Woooooowwwww, I cannot believe Fognini came back from two sets down against Rafa to win the match. That was some crazy good tennis.

On a side note, Rafa is such a class act. I don't know if I'd be in the mood to sign autographs after losing a five set heartbreaker like that.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 1

Does Rafa pull his undies between every serve regardless of how long or short his shorts are?

Yes.

So tennis experts, tell me - has Rafa ever lost after being up 2 sets in a match?

The announcers said never in a major, but yes in other tournament play (to Federer, if I remember correctly).

I've been seeing that he was 151-0 when up two sets in a slam. Now it's 151-1.

Rafa is such a class act. I don't know if I'd be in the mood to sign autographs after losing a five set heartbreaker like that.

At 1:30 AM, no less.

What a roller coaster that match was.

• Love 1

The announcers said never in a major, but yes in other tournament play (to Federer, if I remember correctly).

Rafa lost once after being up the first two sets, in the Miami final when he was 18, the year after he beat Federer there when he was 17. It was the first 5-setter Rafa had ever played and he got jobbed on a real bad line call late in the 3rd set when he was up and after that he just ran out of steam and ended up losing in five.

I was proud to be a Rafa fan tonight. He is such a warrior and just won't quit, even getting broken in the final set he kept coming back and coming back but damn it's tough to watch him lose these incredible matches that he used to always win. Hopefully one day soon he will find that elusive colm that will allow him to win those tough points.

• Love 1

I woke up to the Fognini-Nadal match still going. And now Fognini is up a break in the 5th. I really hope Rafa doesn't lose to this guy. I have an (ir)rational hatred of him.

I don't know much about Fognini, so what did he do?

I just feel like every time I turn around, he's retiring from a match. (I don't know how many times it's actually happened, this is why I say it may be an irrational hatred.) Also, he always strikes me as a dramatist on the court (I know, he's Italian ...), like Murray with the "this hurts, that hurts, ow, maybe it's my wrist or my ankle or owowoww" thing. And he's prone to just mentally disappearing for long periods during a match, or seeming like he's just given up - kinda like Monfils, but I find him considerably less charming than Monfils.

I just feel like every time I turn around, he's retiring from a match. (I don't know how many times it's actually happened, this is why I say it may be an irrational hatred.) Also, he always strikes me as a dramatist on the court (I know, he's Italian ...), like Murray with the "this hurts, that hurts, ow, maybe it's my wrist or my ankle or owowoww" thing. And he's prone to just mentally disappearing for long periods during a match, or seeming like he's just given up - kinda like Monfils, but I find him considerably less charming than Monfils.

Ah , I see what you mean.  I haven't watched Fognini that much.  I agree that Monfils' charm carries him a long way because I just love the dude.

I hope Bouchard is OK.

Also, congrats to Donald Young.  He gutted it out again and he's really having a nice run.  They showed his mom in the stands and it reminded me of last year when I attended the Citi Open in DC.  I go every year on the first day just to see the qualifiers play and the more well-known players practice.  So I was walking along the courts and watching Nishikori, Berdych, Raonic, and some other recognizable ones and came across Donald Young practicing, and I was just standing there, watching him.  His mom was on the court with him.  She walked over to where I was and came close to the fence and, I swear, she glared at me as if to say "Stay away from my son!"   I'm old enough to be his mom but I'm petite so with the sunglasses and hat on maybe she thought I was a groupie--or maybe a cougar, lol.  It needs to be said that I am not the least bit attracted to her son, lol; I was just watching him hit some damn practice balls.  Anyway, I was taken aback and just went on to the next court.  I left with the feeling that Mama needs to cut the apron strings.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 2

Ooh, interesting story about Mamma Young, ohwell.

I just logged on to give enormous props to Doug Adler (of ESPN2 at the moment) for his superb piece on Serena's ball toss and how relatively erratic it's been at this tournament as opposed to the entire Wimbledon.  He also noted that the toss was much more consistent in the last two sets against Mattek-Sands.

Seriously Genie? Was that stunt queen walk with the Hoodie and sunglasses really necessary? She already knows at this point whether she's going to play or not so she can spare me with the fragile-I'm-about-to-pass-out stroll into the locker room. I know she has a lot of fans, but for some reason I just can't stand her.

Was this past August 25 years since that teenager was murdered on the subway during the Open? And if so, has there been any mention of it on the coverage?

(And not to be crass but with 35000 at Yankee Stadium and 35000 people at Serena's match I could not even imagine the crowding on the subways today)

I know the schedulers can't play favorites but for maximum ratings potential Venus and Serena should have been on opposite sides.

Edited by mojoween

Ugh, Chris Evert is such a moron, looking ahead to the Venus vs Serena match, "With so much at stake, and on the line.." 

Chris, shut up. They mean the same thing. Too bad about Genie Bouchard, I'm not a fan (I think she's been focusing on tennis her whole life that she has no actual personality) but it's terrible to have to withdraw at this point of the tournament, especially since it was a freak accident.

I rarely watch live tv so I hadn't seen these Watson ads. A man imitating a robot imitating a man, ugh. It doesn't feel ironic or meta to me. I think some agency thought it was brilliant.

Please ESPN, have only MJ Fernandez on the sidelines for the rest of the women's matches.

Seriously Genie? Was that stunt queen walk with the Hoodie and sunglasses really necessary? She already knows at this point whether she's going to play or not so she can spare me with the fragile-I'm-about-to-pass-out stroll into the locker room.

I just saw footage of this, and yeah - I also got a LOOK AT ME!!!! stunt queen vibe. If she actually felt as bad as she looked there is no way she should have been there. I've had a concussion and lord knows I feel for her (both for the injury and for having to withdraw), but did she actually have to withdraw in person? 

The Venus v. Serena hype is already getting old. 

• Love 1

I won't even watch the Venus/Serena match because I don't want to hear the commentary in the booth.  Actually, I'll be glad when this Open is over because I'm just tired of Serena Serena Serena 24/7.  It's not her fault, but just can't take much more.

• Love 2

I won't even watch the Venus/Serena match because I don't want to hear the commentary in the booth. Actually, I'll be glad when this Open is over because I'm just tired of Serena Serena Serena 24/7. It's not her fault, but just can't take much more.

I agree and I feel bad for getting irritated because I know it's the stupid announcers hyping up the drama rather than Serena herself, but I just can't take it anymore. They're acting like the other women in the tournament are just supposed to roll over so Serena can get her Calender Slam. Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 3

Lopez-Fognini : the announcers described Fognini's performance as "un'implosione" and that's about what it was, an implosion. Better now than against Djokovic, I suppose. Although I don't think it really mattered which one of them got through that match, ultimately.

Looking forward to Wawrinka-Young tonight.

I'm in Canada, and it seems we get absolutely no coverage until next weekend.  Seriously?  Not even Labour Day.

Do you not get the TSN channels higher up the dial? On my cable, I get TSN on five different channels plus the main one in everyone's basic package and all week they've had tennis on four out of the five. On the weekend with football and so much other stuff going on it's only been on one or two but they've definitely been covering it from 11:00 a.m. to however late at night it runs. Don't know which cable company you use but from Shaw, it only costs about $3.00 a month to get the TSN plus a couple extra Sportsnet channels.

As to the tennis, that damned Fognino went back to normal today against Lopez.  What is it with these yahoos who play out of their heads when they meet Rafa? Every single guy who has beaten Rafa this year has lost their next match except for Djokovic in Monte Carlo and even he had a lot of trouble and almost lost to Berdych in the final the next day. I suppose it says something about the effort it takes to win against Rafa but dammit, why can't they put out like that when they meet Fed or Murray or Djokovic? Why must they all play out of their minds against only Rafa? Pfffft.

Well, duh.  I knew I had all those channels, and assumed they would be showing tennis all weekend, but somehow both my channel guide and the search feature were screwed up. Thanks, Bell Canada.

Seriously Genie? Was that stunt queen walk with the Hoodie and sunglasses really necessary? She already knows at this point whether she's going to play or not so she can spare me with the fragile-I'm-about-to-pass-out stroll into the locker room. I know she has a lot of fans, but for some reason I just can't stand her.

I just saw footage of this, and yeah - I also got a LOOK AT ME!!!! stunt queen vibe. If she actually felt as bad as she looked there is no way she should have been there. I've had a concussion and lord knows I feel for her (both for the injury and for having to withdraw), but did she actually have to withdraw in person?

I give her a pass. FTR, I believe she is young and has shown flighty behavior more indicative of a 15 year old. But in this case, I'm not certain of the rules but I think they DO have to show up unless they are actually in the hospital, etc. The "scene" I blame on the tournament(s)/USTA. A few years ago, the USTA had an deal with Lexus who supplied car service for the players; they even installed cameras in the cars and some players recorded messages of them riding through Manhattan to/from their hotels/the tournament or going out in the city for the day evening. As a result, the tournament created this "non red carpet" entrance which is staffed by photogs to get pics of players as they arrive. The one the really gets me is the wakl through the Wimbledon grounds, especially of Murray, surrounded by this throng of people as they head out to outer courts. For that matter, I really don't like the shots in the hallway as they walk out of the locker rooms either at Wimbledon or the US Open; give the payers that final few minutes to collect themselves without a camera in their face, much less one of the idiots asking "What's your game plan?" It's all the whoring of the sport and players for extra advertising dollars, not that I'm against all whoring or dollars-far from it-but there has to be a line.

Looking forward to Wawrinka-Young tonight.

That match is actually in the afternoon, the 2nd up on Ashe-probably around 1PM EDT, in between Lepchencko/Azarenka and Stosur/Pennetta. Federer/Isner is the night men's match, last one of the day.

I won't even watch the Venus/Serena match because I don't want to hear the commentary in the booth.  Actually, I'll be glad when this Open is over because I'm just tired of Serena Serena Serena 24/7.  It's not her fault, but just can't take much more.

I agree and I feel bad for getting irritated because I know it's the stupid announcers hyping up the drama rather than Serena herself, but I just can't take it anymore. They're acting like the other women in the tournament are just supposed to roll over so Serena can get her Calender Slam.

SerenaFan (hate her behavior at times, etc.) and I hope she does prevail tomorrow night and on Saturday. But I must warn you, especially if she should win the end of year championships also, then the talk will turn to the Serena Golden Slam 2016; remember Steffi actually won a Golden Slam-all 4 Majors + the Olympics in 1988. Barring injury or other players stepping up, there isn't much reason to say it is impossible.

The one the really gets me is the wakl through the Wimbledon grounds, especially of Murray, surrounded by this throng of people as they head out to outer courts. For that matter, I really don't like the shots in the hallway as they walk out of the locker rooms either at Wimbledon or the US Open; give the payers that final few minutes to collect themselves without a camera in their face, much less one of the idiots asking "What's your game plan?" It's all the whoring of the sport and players for extra advertising dollars, not that I'm against all whoring or dollars-far from it-but there has to be a line.

I feel bad for the players when they're being interviewed just before they take the court.  And then there are the stupid questions.  What do the reporters expect them to say, other than the standard "I'm just going to go out and play my game?"  Sure, they're used to the limelight but I think the media has taken things too far.  I even have a problem with them being interviewed just after they've finished a match.  Give them time to collect themselves. 

especially if she should win the end of year championships also, then the talk will turn to the Serena Golden Slam 2016;

Whoa, I hadn't thought of THAT.  You're right.

I feel bad for the players when they're being interviewed just before they take the court.

I don't feel bad for the players in that situation.  I feel bad for the interviewer and the audience because those are the WORST INTERVIEWS EVER.  So boring and pointless.  Give it up, tennis TV directors and production people (desperate to come up with interesting stuff to put on the air). 

• Love 1

That match is actually in the afternoon, the 2nd up on Ashe-probably around 1PM EDT, in between Lepchencko/Azarenka and Stosur/Pennetta. Federer/Isner is the night men's match, last one of the day.

Which will be about 7 pm in Italy, where I am. :)

• Love 1

Which will be about 7 pm in Italy, where I am. :)

Well, that should be nice dinnertime programming. But a,so means the Federer match won't start until abut 2-3AM. Ouch. That's what we get during the Australian Open.

FFS, the spin being put on the Bouchard story by TSN is that it was after her press conference (11:00 pm), the locker room was empty, she was going into the cold tub room, there was no light on, the floor was wet.... There is talk of "legal ramifications".  

How about this - You're entering a room with a water feature and a tiled floor, and the light is off.  Turn the light on.

• Love 3