Type keyword(s) to search

Tennis Thread

cms
  • Start Topic

I saw him for the first time last year.  I think he's handsome but IMO he'd look much better if he 1) trimmed the dreads and beard and 2) ate a few more sammiches. 

• Love 1

Dustin played a smart match. He gave Rafa a ton of junk and never let him get into a rhythm with his groundstrokes.

Also congrats to Serena on a tough win. I think Heather could have pulled it out but she got tentative towards the end and was hitting too many short balls and balls right up the middle of the court. I was also hoping she'd win so Venus wouldn't have to play Serena. I'd love to see Venus make one last deep run at a Grand Slam and Wimbledon is her best chance.

• Love 1

I'll be glad when those loud-assed Aussies in the stands wearing those yellow shirts finally go home.  They were downright obnoxious when that punk Kyrgios was playing.

• Love 2
(edited)

Well, they probably won't be at the U.S. Open, thank God.

ETA:  I hate, hate, hate to watch Isner play in these marathon matches because you just know the match is going to go on and on and on.  He's just good enough that the other guy can't knock him out early, but not good enough to knock the other guy out early.  Arggh!!

Edited by Ohwell

Well, they probably won't be at the U.S. Open, thank God.

ETA: I hate, hate, hate to watch Isner play in these marathon matches because you just know the match is going to go on and on and on. He's just good enough that the other guy can't knock him out early, but not good enough to knock the other guy out early. Arggh!!

I'd rather have a rectal exam than watch Isner play. The worst part about him is his matches are marathons but suck in terms of quality. He's a boring one trick pony.

• Love 2
(edited)

Good effort by Anderson - just didn't have that extra push to pull it out in the end. Djokovic was not the favorite coming in to Wimbledon and watching him this past week, I can see why. Yes he's still pulling out the wins, but he hasn't looked unbeatable to me and if he and Stan have a rematch in the semifinal as expected, I'm giving Stan the edge. I care not at all about the other half of the men's draw. Federer's matches and opponents have been completely uninspired and boring and I never care about Murray. I would hardly be upset if either or both of them lost tomorrow.

So I'm now convinced Serena enjoys toying with Azarenka. I believe she throws her a set, a couple of games, lull her into a false sense of belief that this time is the time she pulls off the upset, only for Serena to spank her in the end. Really, that's my theory. And so now we have Serena and Sharapova in the semifinal. Yeah considering it's been like a decade since Sharapova had a win against Serena, color me not hopeful an upset could happen there.

Right now, the player I'm really interested in on the women's side is Muguruza. She stood out to me last year after her French Open performance and after watching more of her matches, I really like her playing style.  She has the big serve and powerful forehands but she also moves very well and has a really good all court game. Really rooting for her to have a huge breakthrough and make the finals (no offense Aggie). I don't see her winning if Serena's in the final but crazier things have happened. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
So I'm now convinced Serena enjoys toying with Azarenka. I believe she throws her a set, a couple of games, lull her into a false sense of belief that this time is the time she pulls off the upset, only for Serena to spank her in the end.

I've been saying this about Serena all along.  It's what she does.   

Yeah, the Williams/Sharapova match is going to be a beatdown. Sharapova's serve will tank and she's slow as molasses. She won't be able to hang in the long rallies and will end up going for too much and spraying balls all over the place.

Muguruza beat Serena at the French but that's a completely different animal than the Wimbledon final. Radwanksa is crafty but lacks the firepower to keep pace with Serena. The title is Serena's to win or lose at this point.

I'm so not interested in any of the men's matches.

I'm so not interested in any of the men's matches.

I'm so not interested in any of the women's matches.

Diff'rent strokes, I guess.

I like the women's game because their movements look more graceful and dance-like than the men's. Rafa's game is most similar to the women's, in terms of his movement, which is why I enjoy watching him. I hope he heals, if indeed he is still injured.

So I'm now convinced Serena enjoys toying with Azarenka. I believe she throws her a set, a couple of games, lull her into a false sense of belief that this time is the time she pulls off the upset, only for Serena to spank her in the end.

I've been saying this about Serena all along.  It's what she does.

You think so? I don't know. When Serena played Vica in the 2012 US Open Final, Azarenka was ranked #1 and Serena #4, and their match was a close 3-setter. Azarenka served twice for the championship, but Serena won 4 games in a row to win. I don't think she could have planned that.

The 2013 US Open Final was similar. This time Serena was #1 and Azarenka #2, but they played another 3-setter (though not as close as 2012).

This year in Madrid, Azarenka was serving for the match and was up 40-love. Serena saved 3 match points and eventually won. I don't think she has that much confidence in her game to allow herself to face 3 match points and still expect to win.

I would've liked to see Serena play Kvitiva at Wimbledon--she's the only player who's beaten Serena this year (not counting her withdrawal from Indian Wells). Serena's last close rival was Kim Clijsters. Yes, Serena has lost matches, but I haven't seen a player who's consistently stood toe-to-toe with Serena's talent and strategic play since Kim.

• Love 2

I'm predicting a Murray/Djokovic final. Gasquet played a hell of a match and deserved his win but I don't think he'll be able to recuperate physically and emotionally with only a day off until the semis.

As for the women, unless Serena falls down a flight of stairs prior to Saturday, the title is hers.

(edited)

That's why I was not excited about Gasquet's win over Wawrinka because I feel like he'll show up on Friday for a routine whooping from Djokovic.  But hey, maybe he'll prove us all wrong. As for Federer/Murray, my goodness I cannot think of a major match, between two top players, I cared less about. I guess I'm sort of rooting for Federer just because Murray bores and annoys me so much. He's just so lumbering and negative on court, it drives me up the freaking wall. 

As for the women, yeah it's looking likely that Serena will be one Slam away from completing the Calendar Year Slam. But again, who knows, anything is possible. Yes Aggie hasn't been the player she was in a minute but she is back in the semi-final and when she and Serena met in the Finals some years ago, she did take it to three sets.

Poor Maria has no shot tomorrow (yes some said the same about Berdych earlier this year at Australia when he had to face Rafa who he'd lost like 14 straight times to but I don't see Serena having the complete and utter checked out day that Rafa had). Muguruza might be the only that could provide some real threat but that's if she even gets pass Aggie and would she be able to handle the moment and occasion of it being her first Grand Slam final to mentally challenge the best player in the world. 

Edited by truthaboutluv

I guess I'm sort of rooting for Federer just because Murray bores and annoys me so much. He's just so lumbering and negative on court, it drives me up the freaking wall. 

That sums it up for me as well.

As for Federer/Murray, my goodness I cannot think of a major match, between two top players, I cared less about. I guess I'm sort of rooting for Federer just because Murray bores and annoys me so much. He's just so lumbering and negative on court, it drives me up the freaking wall.

I'm interested in this match only because I'm wondering if Federer can make it back to another Final and because I know the home crowd will be rooting for Andy (and sometimes booing, knowing how tough they are on him).

But the only men's matches that have actually excited me through the years were the Rafa/Federer matches, Sampras/Agassi, and McEnroe vs. anybody.

Djokovic can be thrilling to watch at times, but he's usually robotic. An excellent player who makes great shots, but still robotic.

Djokovic can be thrilling to watch at times, but he's usually robotic.

Totally agree.

I REALLY like Mugurutha.  I love the big game.  She's doing amazingly well against Aggie, fighting through her nerves and having to be prepared for her best shots coming back.  

I think Mugurutha is so lovely.  She has kind of a stately, elegant quality.  She reminds me of Irene Dunn or Renata Tebaldi, icons of a much earlier era.  That said, i think she and Nishikori are kind of Separated-at-Birth.

Also, why is Keith Olbermann in Mugurutha's box? (JK - but doesn't that guy in the back row look like KE?)

That was a really good semi-final between Muguruza and Radwanska. Congrats to Garbine on her first GS Final. Aggie did not make it easy for her at the end. I actually gained so much respect for Aggie's game watching this match. She knows she can't match these big hitters like Garbine, in power because she's kind of a small woman so she just gets everything back and basically frustrates them into making errors.

Because she gets so many balls back that it forces them to go bigger and bigger which causes them to spray more balls long. Here's hoping that Garbine doesn't let the moment of a GS final intimidate her and she plays a great match.  Will be great if Serena and Sharapova's match could be this good but I'm not holding my breath.

(edited)

Ok so this makes no sense, because I am rooting hard for Federer (or Fedder, depending on who is speaking) and if Andy wins I'll root for him too.

However, I am so beyond tired of Djokovic in almost all of the finals. And I know it's not unpopular to dislike him, and seriously can't get much more over-saturated than Roger, but I just can't root for Novak.

And I used to DESPISE Federer. Especially when he was always beating Roddick, who I liked. Must have been the ponytail.

I wish this semi were the final.

Edited by mojoween

I'm happy to remain here alone on I love Djokovic island.

Oh you're not alone.  :)

But since we're airing our grievances, I must admit that I can't stand Murray.  I hope Federer dispatches him quickly in the 3rd set.

Aim I just think you and I won't agree on anything. And that's ok! Lively discourse is what makes this site go 'round, heh.

If it helps, I love his coach sooooooooooo much. He is my first tennis boyfriend; I still have a magazine page of a Fila ad hanging on the door of my bedroom at my parents house. I cried my face off when Edberg beat Becker on the Fourth of July.

(edited)

Damn, Federer just schooled Murray. The old guy still got it. And of course as expected, Djokovic destroyed Gasquet. I definitely would not have predicted a rematch of last year's men's final at the start of the tournament but I have to say, based on their play this past two weeks, I'm actually giving the slight edge to Federer in the final. 

As for the women's final, I just really hope Muguruza doesn't let the enormity of the moment get to her and nerves take over to where she doesn't fully show up for the match. I want to see a really good match and I think if she plays as well as she can and has, we could have that. Obviously Serena is the overwhelming favorite but again, I'm just hoping for a match worthy of the final. 

Edited by truthaboutluv

Djokovic has matured and I don't dislike him anymore.  Whether I root for him, though, depends upon whom he's playing.  Therefore, I'm rooting for him over Federer.

Federer was amazing today against Murray. If he can play at that same level on Sunday, he will win. But, I don't believe he can have back-to-back matches where he plays that well.

I love that the announcers kept referring to Muguruza as "The Spaniard." It reminded me of Maximus from Gladiator.

Congrats to Serena. She didn't play her best match by far, in large part to Garbine's aggressive play, but she still managed to win somehow. I hope she does get the Grand Slam in August.  

And I definitely will be following Garbine Muguruza's career. I watched her "Tennisography" bio on Tennis Channel, and it made me like her as a person and root for her as a player (though not today). Of all the "youngsters" in women's tennis (21 and under), I think she's likely to be the most successful. Barring injury, that is.

I have no idea who'll win the Men's Final. It would nice to see Federer pull win another Wimbledon, but I'd hate to see the Djoka (I heard this nickname today on TV!) lose two Slam finals in a row.

(edited)

I was happy for Serena but I don't feel like Garbine played close to her best. She just felt apart in that second set and you could see the panic and fear set in. She did well to get those two breaks back and give the crowd some life in the end. That is of course until she blew her serve. And this is not to take anything from Serena who definitely found a higher gear when she needed to, especially when her serve was just not working for her today.

But I definitely have hopes for Garbine and hope she doesn't go the way of so many other young up and coming players who have a great season and sort of fall apart after. Even though there were tears at the end, understandably, she handled her loss well I thought and was very respectful of Serena. And I thought it was sweet of Serena to tell her she would be back and have many chances. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

I had to do some traveling earlier today and listened to the men's match via Wimbledon Radio. I've never listened to a tennis match before but it's a really enjoyable broadcast. Somehow all of the viewer tweets and fan interviews from Henman Hill are less annoying on the radio. I thought of the discussion here about Djokovic not really having a nickname that took off, when one of the commentators called him "The Serbinator".

Well kudos to Novak. I did not pick him as the favorite heading into this Wimbledon. Federer showed some good fight in the first two sets but he really looked like a shell of himself during some key points. I don't think I've ever seen Federer double fault so much and miss so many down the line forehands. I can't say I found this Wimbledon particularly exciting. There weren't any major upsets and truly exciting, amazing matches in my opinion. So on to Flushing Meadows...

• Love 1

In the 'and now for something completely different' file, we stumbled upon "7 Days in Hell" on HBO Go today. I'd kind of describe it as Andy Samberg's fever dream about how it would have gone if the John Isner-Nicholas Mahut three day tennis marathon had actually been played by Andre Agassi and Jon Snow reinvented as a rather dim middle class british tennis prodigy.

It is so over the top that Samberg's wig seems to be kind of obscuring the horizon, and features a whole slew of athletes and announcers (Serena Williams as antihero Aaron Williams' sister, John McEnroe, Chris Evert, Jim Lampley, etc.) as well as some fun actors relishing getting a chance to chew as much scenery as they could stand to bite off (Michael Sheen in a fat suit, Lena Dunham, Will Forte, Mary Steenburgen, June Squibb as a drunk-dialing Queen Elizabeth) and comescwith an adult content warning for many and varied things including Swedish prison shower orgy done in cartoon format.

It's going to be a like/loathe sort of thing, and we both fell on the laugh out loud repeatedly side of that line.

(edited)

I don't even understand why there's a movie about this. Not every event requires a movie. I mean they played for a bunch of days, the media picked it up and that was it. It would have made more sense for HBO to just do a sports documentary type show on the match, like the amazing documentary about the Yankees World Series' appearance right after 9/11. That was an awesome documentary. 

In other tennis news, man Tennis Australia must be wishing they had the Hewitt days again where their biggest complaint was that he screamed a couple of "come on's" during his matches. Because between Tomic and his crazy antics and equally crazy father and Kyrgios and his ego and arrogance, things aren't looking so great for Tennis Australia. Kyrgios is talented, but that attitude is not going to take him far, especially considering he hasn't done nearly enough to have that kind of ego. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

I don't even understand why there's a movie about this. Not every event requires a movie. I mean they played for a bunch of days, the media picked it up and that was it.

From what I understand the short film is a mockumentary inspired by the Isner/Mahut match but not about it.  I think it's supposed to be taken with tongue firmly planted in cheek.

• Love 2
Because between Tomic and his crazy antics and equally crazy father and Kyrgios and his ego and arrogance, things aren't looking so great for Tennis Australia.

Has NK been up to something since Wimbledon?

Has NK been up to something since Wimbledon?

Mouthed off a lot about Tennis Australia and agreed with Tomic's criticisms of them. His brother tweeted up a storm about everyone picking on poor little NK and even his mother got her two cents in bitching about people saying mean things about her spoiled kid. He went to Darwin to play the Davis Cup tie and moaned about being stuck in such an awful place and then went out and stunk the joint up in his first match against a Kazakhstan guy ranked about 190. Got a code violation in the first set and ended up being booed for lack of effort as he lost the match. The Davis Cup captain and coaches smartened up and benched him for the rest of the tie and put in Groth and Hewitt who won the doubles and both their singles matches to salvage the tie for the Australians. Hewitt beat the guy in straight sets who NK had lost to in the first round. 

Here's a picture of NKs lovely mother tweeted by NKs charming brother. The family is totally fucked up.  http://s8.postimg.org/nngdpdf9x/Screen_Shot_2015_07_20_at_11_55_52_am.png

(edited)

Australian Mens tennis has more drama than a Mexican Televisa Soap Opera. Mark Phillipousis had his own run ins with Pat Cash and the Aussie federation if I recall.

Serena's dominance is quite unique because at nearly 34, I see absolutely no player on the horizon who can knock her off the top step at least in the next 12 months. Maria is just too slow and inconsistent, the other players know how to play her now , and even if this is one of her betterMajor seasons (1 final, 1 SF, 1 QF) she'll need help at the USO, ie someone knocking Serena off.  Bouchard and Simona Halep again show that expectations are harder on you once you're one of the faves. At Bouchard's rate she will be out of the top 40 soon.Caroline and Carla simply lack the firepower and Petra, well, let's just say she makes the little girl withe the curl the epitome of consistency.

The one player I can see having a shot is Vika, who I used to loathe when she first came on the scene (and don't get me started on the AO final with Li Na) but I grudgingly came to admire for her  guts and drive.  She can rob Serena of time playing at her best, so if she "upset" Serena at a Major it wouldn't shock me.  However Vika is again trying to come back from injuries so her body is at the point she may be breaking down and all the rehab takes its toll mentally.  Other than Vika, the top 16 looks slim pickings at the moment.

Back to Maria/Serena; It's beyond ridiculous the #2 ranked tennis player in the world has lost 17 consecutive matches over a span of over 10 1./2 years to the #1. I can't think of a more lopsided head2head between two tennis champions.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 2

Yesterday I attended a Word Team Tennis event and watched Coco Vandeweghe and Taylor Townsend (among others) play. They both impressed me –maybe it’s because I had 3rd row seats and had was able to clearly see and hear the ball whiz by me at an amazing pace. But it was the players, too. Taylor, especially, is fast, agile, and has great tennis smarts. Unfortunately, she still isn’t in great physical shape. And my “great physical shape” term is relative—she’s a professional athlete, so of curse, she's in shape. But her body looks heavier than it wants to be, if that makes any sense.  I know all bodies are different, so I don’t expect her to have long, thin legs like Wozniacki or even Serena’s guns and flat stomach. But Taylor wasn't toned, and she was huffing and puffing after rallies, despite making some amazing shots. And her boobs were jiggling, too, but maybe needed a better sports bra.

I know sound nit-picky and maybe a little mean, but I think Taylor is really good and has the potential to be a great WTA player. She’s not tall, but she makes up for it with her physical and mental skills. If she were a little lighter and maybe a little more flexible, she could take her game to the next level. I wish she and Zina Garrison would add a nutritionist/fitness consultant to her team. It helped Agassi, it helped Serena, and I’m sure it’s helped other professional players.

(edited)

I saw Taylor Townsend last year at the Citi Open in DC.  I commented then to friends that she wasn't in good shape and really didn't look like an athlete.  I overheard a group of guys talking about the women tennis players walking around and they were mostly complimentary about the women and ogling them, but one guy said that Taylor was fat and they all laughed.  I'm sorry to hear that apparently she hasn't gotten in better shape.  However, if Zina Garrison is any example, I understand why Taylor hasn't gotten in shape.  Looking at Zina, no one would believe that she was ever an athlete and I commented last year that she was walking around the tennis court, holding the racket like a frying pan.  Maybe Taylor can't afford a nutritionist or fitness consultant?

I'm going again on Saturday and I suppose she and Zina will be there.  Sloan will probably be there, and Kuznetzova and a lot of the Russian/Eastern European women who are vaguely recognizable, but I actually look forward to seeing the guys more.  I'm just so sorry that Monfils stopped attending.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 1

If she's happy and at peace wither body image, then good for her. However, if she's supposed to be a coach and helping a young player, then I would think that one of her responsibilities would be to help that player get in shape, or have her/him consult with a nutritionist and/or fitness coach.