Type keyword(s) to search

Tennis Thread

cms
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Oh I agree that is one of the responsibilties of a coach, however, I don't think the fact that Zina is plus size these days is an automatic indication she is not conscious of that need in her player.

Many coaches/managers appear out of shape or less than athletic build past their playing days and yet have been successful coaching others. Just because visually Zina Garrison is no longer a size 6 doesn't mean she's the primary reason Taylor isn't in the best of shape.

Edited by caracas1914

Admittedly she looks markedly different from her playing days, but Zina Garrison is one of the players who openly admitted she had an eating disorder during her playing days, it went on for years.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2006/may/07/tennis.features

Just hope she's happy and at peace with herself and body image now.

I agree. Zina was always one of my favorite tennis players, and I was sad to learn about her eating disorder.

Just to clarify my comments: Taylor doesn't need to be stick-thin or Serena-diesel to be healthy. But seeing her in person, I know she could be healthier, which I believe would make her an even better tennis player. I also think some tennis players are too thin (Ana Ivanovic used to be, but she's put on a little muscle).

Taylor is sponsored by Nike. I know her contract isn't as large as some of the elite players, but surely they could commission a chef/nutritionist and/or trainer for her.

Many coaches/managers appear out of shape or less than athletic build past their playing days and yet have been successful coaching others. Just because visually Zina Garrison is no longer a size 6 doesn't mean she's the primary reason Taylor isn't in the best of shape.

Agree that many coaches aren't in the best of shape, and I'm also not saying that she's the primary reason that Taylor isn't in the best of shape.  Ultimately, that's on Taylor.  However, I watched Zina last year on the court and she was walking like could barely retrieve the balls that Taylor was hitting.  They were sort of lobbing balls back and forth.  Some of the spectators were wondering if she was Taylor's mother who was just playing around with her.  So my point is, if she's not up to working out with Taylor, then maybe a better coach should be considered. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Isn't this all a moot point since Zina Garrison isn't even Taylor's coach any more, unless Taylor has gone back to her since May.

http://www.si.com/tennis/2015/05/26/taylor-townsend-french-open-ankle-injury-coaching-change

As to Taylor and fitness, this issue has dogged her for years and who can forget the USTA's infamous decision not to fund her for the 2012 Juniors at the USO when she was the #1 ranked junior player in the world due to their concerns over her fitness. Other player funded her expenses and she reached the QTF's that year.

On another note Taylor going back to the Youngs makes no sense at all.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1

Sloane Stephens won the Citi Open Championship today--her first title. I'm really starting to warm up to Sloane. She's friendly, talented, and will sign autographs forever. When she was first on the scene, the media presented her as the New Serena Williams, which made my blood boil. Serena was the #1 female player and had no intentions of retiring. I guess I shouldn't have taken it out on Sloane. But the media didn't help by inflating a feud between the two of them that really never existed. 

And Kei Nishikori of Japan is amazing. I'm sorry he beat Isner, but Kei was clearly the better player. 

As to Taylor and fitness, this issue has dogged her for years and who can forget the USTA's infamous decision not to fund her for the 2012 Juniors at the USO when she was the #1 ranked junior player in the world due to their concerns over her fitness. Other player funded her expenses and she reached the QTF's that year.

On another note Taylor going back to the Youngs makes no sense at all.

Yes, what happened in 2012 was terrible.

A lot of female players seem to be changing coaches these days. It makes Richard Williams and Nick Bolletieri seem a bit less crazy. A bit.

I was reading old posts and came across this one where Shok was prescient.

Kyrgios better practice his ducking skills because some of the older players are going to be aiming some high hard ones right at his kisser when he gets into the net. His behaviour towards his opponents is disgraceful and I'm going to enjoy seeing him taken down a peg or two out on the court. I'm sure there will be some interesting goings-on in the locker room too.

There's a report that Stan had to be physically separated from Kyrgios after their match. That, of course, is not a great reaction from Stan, if true. He should have tried to stay out of it as much as possible. Today, the crowd booed Kyrgios multiple times, including as he walked off after losing.

• Love 1

I think the crowds can play a part in this, too, if they just boo his ass every time he comes onto and leaves the court, no matter who his opponent is.   I don't mean during points or serves but just enough for him to know that people are tired of his behavior.  

• Love 1

I was reading old posts and came across this one where Shok was prescient.

There's a report that Stan had to be physically separated from Kyrgios after their match. That, of course, is not a great reaction from Stan, if true. He should have tried to stay out of it as much as possible. Today, the crowd booed Kyrgios multiple times, including as he walked off after losing.

Heh. Thanks dcalley. Doing a fist pumping victory lap around my living room. :)

I've got a bit of insight into athlete's psychology and they are a proud bunch by and large. I knew they weren't going to put up with a punk who has won nothing coming into their arena and disrespecting them. The ATP is doing a further investigation and I'll bet Kyrgios is suspended for awhile. He's been pushing boundaries and none of the umps have had the balls to deal with him and his antics.

Have you seen the tweets from his mother and his brother? Just unbelievable but you can certainly see why Kyrgios is so uncivilized.

• Love 2

Just saw the comment by Nick's brother and wow...just wow. You know, not that being an asshole is ever acceptable but if you and your family are going to be this awful, at least back it up with some solid successes. Two Grand Slam quarterfinal appearances and a couple of wins over some top players in no way qualifies you to be this arrogant and awful. Dude and his family needs to take several seats and shut the hell up, all of them - maybe if he shuts up more and only lets his racket do the talking, he might actually get some real success on the court. 

Not only is Kyrgios an asshole, he's dumb and so is his family, because these players make money off the court and I can't imagine any companies wanting him to endorse their products.

Oh. My. Goodness. I'm in a puddle. Tommy Hilfiger surely knows how to use his prime beef in a way that's going to get a lot of attention. Love Rafa's grin.  ;)

• Love 1

Okay, unpopular opinion. I love Rafa, that's my boo and even if things aren't going so great right now, I'm still holding on. That said, I don't and have never found Rafa sexy - ever. And this didn't change that. Don't get me wrong, he looks good and fit and well toned but yeah, I was sort of torn between bursting into laughter at the whole thing. 

• Love 2

I was sort of torn between bursting into laughter at the whole thing.

I guess it's a matter of taste. I've always found Rafa's olive-toned skin and mischievous grin to be sexy. Despite his Popeye left arm.

• Love 1

Okay, unpopular opinion. I love Rafa, that's my boo and even if things aren't going so great right now, I'm still holding on. That said, I don't and have never found Rafa sexy - ever. And this didn't change that. Don't get me wrong, he looks good and fit and well toned but yeah, I was sort of torn between bursting into laughter at the whole thing. 

Same!  I think he's a great player but his looks have never done anything for me.

Same!  I think he's a great player but his looks have never done anything for me.

I'm an old (very old) fart so I don't lust after Rafa but I think he's a gorgeous person.  He's so innately kind and respectful and his keen intelligence shines through in his native language and I value that over his looks although he has an amazing body that I admire very much to go with his terrific smile and big dimples. That, and I love the way he plays tennis.

• Love 1

I've been surprised to see Rafa's cheeky ad during baseball coverage.  I sort of assumed the ads are targeted at gay men and hetero women who buy undies for their men, less so to hetero men.  Or to put it in Tom and Lorenzo terms, more for the "do me" market than the "be me" market.

Tommy Hilfiger is going all in on the Rafa campaign. Huuuuuge posters of Rafa's sexy body is plastered on buildings and billboards and the sides of buses all over the world. The 'take it off' ad itself is running on the gigantic billboard in Times Square and all around the world. I've seen photos of the massive ads from Manila to Ireland to Tokyo to Paris and all points in between.

Rafa better do well at the US Open. The pressure's on him now in more ways than one to stay the big tennis star he is.

The pressure's on him now in more ways than one to stay the big tennis star he is.

Reminds me of Andy Roddick's "Mojo" campaign for AmEx right before the US Open.  He lost in the first round.  

• Love 1

I just checked the schedule and see that ESPN is up to their usual shit again. Play starts at 11AM tomorrow so they won't start broadcasting (on TV) until 1PM; they switch coverage from the Mothership to the Deuce at 6. NOTHING important going on at 11, just Cibulkova v Ivanovic, Nishikori, Mardy Fish, Dimitrov, and Lauren Davis v Heather Watson. Same shit they pulled in Canada? with the women, only showing it online/ESPN3, I'm guessing. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the capability that the web channels afford in expanding coverage but when they chose to ONLY show matches there. I do also like that if you do choose (are able) to watch that way, you get that match and ONLY that match until it concludes, not ADHD tennis which generally happens the rest of the time, even in the overnight repeats. At least Blue Bell Ice Cream is back in stores in Houston starting tomorrow.

• Love 2

I just checked the schedule and see that ESPN is up to their usual shit again.

You may be interested in this article about how Washington was dropped from the US Open Series because of TV, because the tournament founder rejected ESPN's crap offer in favor of Tennis Channel's full coverage.

lol...well that's comforting, especially considering Rafa's first round is against a player who's beaten him in their only meeting. 

Even Coric himself said afterwards that he never would have beaten a healthy Rafa who went into hospital for surgery a week later. Rafa will win this one comfortably.

Thanks for nothing SI !!

Sports cover jinx and Serena.

According to my 13-year old, as long she doesn't end up on the cover of the Madden game, she'll be okay.

And am I being overly-sensitive, or does Serena's half of the draw seem tougher than the bottom half? She has the potential to face some of the same heavy hitters she faced at Wimbledon: Sloane, Madison Keys, Venus, and/or Coco. Serena's quarter, especially, seems really tough. Hard to believe that the draws are random.

I know the other half has Azarenka, Halep, Muzuruza, and others, but it still doesn't seem as tough a draw.

Idk, I just can't get psyched up for this year's open. I feel like it's already a given Serena and Djoker will win, unless something crazy drastic happens.

Also, wtf is up with turning opening night into some Broadway production? Just sing the National Anthem and get on with the tennis.

• Love 1

Yeah I did not get that Josh Groban drama going on.

I definitely get the "meh" sentiment about a Novak and Serena wins being a given but call me delusional, I still think an upset could happen, more so with Djokovic.

I am also of two minds about Serena - on one hand I kind of want her to get the Slam just because I was too young when Steffi did it, so it really didn't make an impression on me.

On the other hand I kind of want to see what player will be confident enough to say "screw history and Serena's dominance" and actually beat her. That and the reactions from the ESPN team will be epic.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

I didn't see it, but she did an on-court interview with ESPN during the match, right? So weird.

Yeah, that's what she was talking about how brilliant or some such other nonsense ESPN was to do that. Of course in a similar vein, almost 40 years ago at the Commercial Union Masters at the Summit in Houston, TX, they did an interview with Charleston Heston in between sets of the finals; Wojtek Fibak was leading Manuel Orantes. Heston said not to count Orantes out and made some very positive comments which was put up on the arena screen; Orantes came back and won the match and title in 5 sets and he credited that "pep talk" and support of the crowd. I was at that match and the doubles finals the day before.

Also, wtf is up with turning opening night into some Broadway production? Just sing the National Anthem and get on with the tennis.

I skipped it this year and turned the TV back on at 5-0 in the first.

Rough day on the seeds.

And am I being overly-sensitive, or does Serena's half of the draw seem tougher than the bottom half? She has the potential to face some of the same heavy hitters she faced at Wimbledon: Sloane, Madison Keys, Venus, and/or Coco. Serena's quarter, especially, seems really tough. Hard to believe that the draws are random.

I know the other half has Azarenka, Halep, Muzuruza, and others, but it still doesn't seem as tough a draw.

I'm old school; I wish they'd return to a standard power-protect matching, i.e.1v16, 2v15, 3v14, etc. and randomly inset seeds 17-32.

You may be interested in this article about how Washington was dropped from the US Open Series because of TV, because the tournament founder rejected ESPN's crap offer in favor of Tennis Channel's full coverage.

Thanks. I had not known the full story about Cincinnati before nor the fuckery with Cit Open. Good for Donald Dell; he was Arthur Ashe's lawyer so he is aces in my books. I remember him and Bud Collins on PBS, yes PBS, Saturday-Monday night during the summer series in the late 70s. QFs on Saturday; SFs on Sunday and Finals of both singles and doubles Monday night.

• Love 2

Rafa, sweetie, your shorts are too short.  I know as part of your serving ritual you pick your shorts out of your butt crack, but with those short shorts it just looks nasty.  That other guy's shorts are just the right length, just above the knee.  Get a pair, Rafa.

Edited by Ohwell

They really are very short, lol. About the tennis, I agreed with McEnroe and company that this is the result when a player's confidence has dipped a little and their level dropped a bit -  that is, Rafa has moments where the brilliance is still there and you saw it in the first two sets. But then he can't sustain it which was never an issue with Rafa before. There was no reason for that match to go to four sets. 

It's crazy. I mean I know it's hot and humid but it is every year. It's almost like the players didn't physically prepare as well as they should have. 

Possibly. The players are probably burned out at this point, also. Most of them have been playing big tournaments since January.

I honestly don't know how Kyrgios has fans. I'm watching this match with Murray and you see many flashes of the talent that's there but dude's whole demeanor, energy, body language, etc. is so negative. And not just negative as in he's acting like he's already lost but negative as in he looks annoyed, irritated, like he's over it, almost don't want to be there, etc. It's weird. Murray funny enough is actually not playing that well but he's about to go two sets up because Kyrgios is really not showing any real fight. 

I honestly don't know how Kyrgios has fans. I'm watching this match with Murray and you see many flashes of the talent that's there but dude's whole demeanor, energy, body language, etc. is so negative. And not just negative as in he's acting like he's already lost but negative as in he looks annoyed, irritated, like he's over it, almost don't want to be there, etc. It's weird. Murray funny enough is actually not playing that well but he's about to go two sets up because Kyrgios is really not showing any real fight. 

I wonder if he has mental health issues. Correction: I'm sure he has mental health issues. He reminds me a lot of Ron Artest (Meta World Peace) before he started receiving psychiatric treatment.

• Love 1