Type keyword(s) to search

Tennis Thread

cms
  • Start Topic

Mind you, the WTA may well have some form of disability insurance for the benefit of all players, that pays out regardless of fault.  I believe other professional sports do. For example, Bouchard lost income as a result of withdrawing from all three events.  I have no issue with her collecting any disability/no fault benefits to which she is entitled, and which she pays for as part of her membership.  I do have a problem with bringing a lawsuit trying to attribute fault and collect for her "pain and suffering" when it was most likely her own damned fault.

• Love 1

Way to go Anderson. Guess he learned something after that tough and disappointing loss to Djokovic at Wimbledon when he was also up two sets. Murray was never really in control in that match and was mostly just playing catch up. Anderson just had to keep his nerves in check and the match was his. 

• Love 2

I agree and I feel bad for getting irritated because I know it's the stupid announcers hyping up the drama rather than Serena herself, but I just can't take it anymore. They're acting like the other women in the tournament are just supposed to roll over so Serena can get her Calender Slam.

To me, it's more that every other female player is discussed under the heading, "Can she beat Serena?"

It seems the announcers have a more lively discussion when Serena is doing poorly. They like discussing the opponent's game and how she manages to "rattle" Serena. When Serena played Madison yesterday, both players did well, but Serena was just better. The match itself was a little boring, I must admit, and the announcers' discussions weren't as interesting.

I wonder if it's possible for anyone besides Roger and Novak to make it to the Men's Final. Anderson and Wawrinka looked great today, but are they good enough?

• Love 1
I wonder if it's possible for anyone besides Roger and Novak to make it to the Men's Final. Anderson and Wawrinka looked great today, but are they good enough?

Having seen Stan annihilate Roger at Roland Garros, I think it's far more than possible that he could make it to the final and take out Djokovic to boot.  That is all predicated on his finding that amazing groove he can sometimes find.

I for one am definitely not looking forward to the likely Serena-Vinci/Mladenovic semi.  Both women are good players, but ... come on.  That will be ugly and probably boring.  And the other women's semi could also be horrible if Kvitova (whom I love, but who looked absolutely gassed in her match tonight - she's recovering from mono, in case some of you might have missed it) and an obviously injured Halep make it through.  The only chance of a really good match in the women's is if Serena and Azarenka come through.  Now, if Venus manages to beat Serena, then the chances of interesting matches increase.

I wonder in her heart of hearts how Venus feels about trying to beat Serena tomorrow.

I wonder in her heart of hearts how Venus feels about trying to beat Serena tomorrow.

That's the thing, isn't it? I believe that Venus wants to win, of course, but at the same time, I can't imagine being the one to stop your sister's roll toward history. That's got to have some effect on your play, no matter how deeply subconscious it might be.

I slept through the Anderson-Murray match, but oh my am I thrilled with the result. And I don't care at all about Anderson! I'd like to see Tsonga come through today, although I don't really want to see him play Djokovic. But getting to the semis would be his best result at the US Open.

Having seen Stan annihilate Roger at Roland Garros, I think it's far more than possible that he could make it to the final and take out Djokovic to boot.

Beat me to it. I was going to say I found the question of if Stan could be good enough very strange considering he more than proved it at the French Open. And while Djokovic looks solid, I've seen some cracks in his game. Thing is, Stan looked a bit unpredictable himself during that match with Young, especially the first two sets where his serve was just kind of wildly all over the place and that 6-1 second set loss was a total WTF. But Cilic and Kei proved last year that one should not be so quick to believe a Federer/Djokovic final is a guarantee. 

• Love 1

And while Djokovic looks solid, I've seen some cracks in his game.

Seconded. He's been a bit off for a while. He was kind of lackluster against Fed in Cincinnati, and he just seemed a little tired/burnt out in Montreal. Maybe he's overscheduled or something.

I've kind of been thinking (and perhaps this is just wishful) that the inevitability of a win here is not so much.

Several gossip sites have featured pictures of Serena out at dinner last night with Kim Kardashian. Should we take bets on whether or not Kim shows up at the match tonight to get her fat face on tv?

Yup, already there and of course ESPN couldn't wait to cut away from Tsonga/Cilic for a minute to show the photographers all clamoring to take her picture as she enters the grounds.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

Yup, already there and of course ESPN couldn't wait to cut away from Tsonga/Cilic for a minute to show the photographers all clamoring to take her picture as she enters grounds.

Holy crap, are you serious??!!! Let me guess, she's in an outfit that's completely inappropriate for a tennis match and she's stuffed her feet into four inch stilettos. I can't believe Serena is stooping that low.

• Love 1

In my little corner I'm rooting for the ultimate headcase, Reechard Gasquet, to take out Federer.

Don't laugh, he's made back to back Major QF's (took out Stan the Man to make the Wimbledon SF's) for the first time in his career I believe, and he has such a pretty BH. I think it's my fave one handed, though Almagro and Stan also have gorgeous ones, as does Roger and Tommy Haas (Tommy Robredo not so much).

I still don't even know what I'm hoping will happen. I guess once the match starts I'll see who I organically start rooting for.

Although, I was rooting for Tsongas to take the match into tiebreak just because I knew everyone felt like he and Cilic were an annoying roadblock to the Williams.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 2
I still don't even know what I'm hoping will happen. I guess once the match starts I'll see who I organically start rooting for.

Well I know what I want. I've always liked Venus more and it would be nice to see her have one more great run at a Slam but sadly I don't see it happening. And with Vinci waiting in the semi-finals, I think we can all expect Serena in the finals. As for who will face her, either Vika or Kvitova have the game to beat her but they'll face each other if they win their quaterfinals.

Vika hasn't been able to do it. She gets close but can't finish the job. Kvitova when she is on, in my opinion can beat anyone. But key here is "when she's on". Because like so many players who have the talent and ability, she's not consistent. 

Although, I was rooting for Tsongas to take the match into tiebreak just because I knew everyone felt like he and Cilic were an annoying roadblock to the Williams.

LOL... I'm bummed for Tsonga but kudos to him for not giving up and going away as he has been known to do at times, and taking the match all the way to a fifth. Good for Cilic though. He clearly enjoyed that feeling of winning a US Open and is not about to give up his title without a fight. 

Don't laugh, he's made back to back Major QF's (took out Stan the Man to make the Wimbledon SF's) for the first time in his career I believe, and he has such a pretty BH. I think it's my fave one handed,

This is all true but as you noted, he's a headcase. Gasquet is very talented but in my opinion, possibly the most disappointing player of his generation. I still remember hearing about Gasquet because he and Rafa came onto the scene around the same time. Those were the two names I was hearing about a lot for awhile, the names that great things were expected of and while Rafa did his part, Gasquet just went off the rails. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
Gasquet is very talented but in my opinion, possibly the most disappointing player of his generation.

Probably true, but unfortunately he and Young had a similar issue as super talented juniors moving into the seniors: they just didn't grow to be as powerful or as athletic as the very top players. When they were world-beaters at 15, no one knew their genes were going to let them down. But I give big credit to both of them for getting in really top notch shape in recent months/years and so are closer to fulfilling their potential.

So sorry JWT went out (he's so beautiful and charming!), but I'm really impressed with Cilic's fight to retain his title.  Plus, with that knee Jo would have had very little chance against Djokovic, and I'm all about someone taking out Djokovic.  Go Marin!!!

I've also been enjoying Mike Tirico's very genuine-sounding enthusiasm calling the matches.  It's the quality that made Chris Fowler so charming when he first was calling tennis, but now he's all "Mr. Expert/ESPN Sell the Story Hype Machine."  MT also brings out a more appealing and interesting side of John McEnroe.

• Love 1

Well I know what I want. I've always liked Venus more and it would be nice to see her have one more great run at a Slam but sadly I don't see it happening. And with Vinci waiting in the semi-finals, I think we can all expect Serena in the finals.

It turned out to be a great match. I figured Serena would win, but Venus didn't go out without a fight. The two battled till the end, and it's the highest quality match between the two of them that I've ever seen. I hope Serena doesn't relax in the semi-finals. She's been beaten in the past by low-ranked players (though usually not in the semi-finals).

I am sorry that Venus had to lose because she was playing great tennis all tournament, and I'm not sure how much gas she has left in the tank. It would be nice to see her win another Major before she retires.

I feel bad that I always fall asleep on Djokovic's matches. Granted, last night's match came on really late, but I fall asleep even during his day matches. Is it because the men have to win 3 sets, making their matches longer? Is it because Novak isn't exciting when he plays? I'm not saying that all players have to be demonstrative or acrobatic like Rafa and Monfils--their style of play has made them prone to injuries, in fact. But I'm not as entertained when watching Djokovic play as I am when watching Rafa or most women's matches. He's durable, for sure, and he's really good. And between sets or after matches, he's funny and interactive with the crowd. But when he plays, he doesn't make particularly good TV. (BTW, I'm sure Novak couldn't care less whether I consider his tennis good entertainment. All he wants to do is win).

I've also been enjoying Mike Tirico's very genuine-sounding enthusiasm calling the matches. It's the quality that made Chris Fowler so charming when he first was calling tennis, but now he's all "Mr. Expert/ESPN Sell the Story Hype Machine." MT also brings out a more appealing and interesting side of John McEnroe.

I'm loving Mike Tirico, I think he does his job well. The other announcers seem to prefer working with him rather than Chris Fowler.

• Love 1

Rain delay in New York. Which is too bad--Azarenka and Halep are having a great match. They're battling it out in the third set.

Hey, it's the head judge guy. I only see him during rain delays and player meltdowns *cough* Serena *cough*

Rain delay in New York. Which is too bad--Azarenka and Halep are having a great match. They're battling it out in the third set.

There does seem to be a regular weather pattern which produces 30 minute-1 hour rain showers on Wednesday-Saturday of the 2nd week going back about a decade or so. Then again, we were doing just fine when Cliff Drysdale opened his big yap yesterday talking about the roof superstructure and remarking that it would be ready for play next year but luckily hasn't been needed this year. Schmuck.

I learned today that James Blake was once the fourth ranked player. I honestly never knew that.

Oh! I also learned that the police owe him more than an apology, but he's too gracious to say so.

The rain moved on from here this afternoon in Syracuse and we needed it sooooo much. It was a quick shower pattern though, no?

Edited by mojoween
Oh! I also learned that the police owe him more than an apology, but he's too gracious to say so.

What was this story?  It seems like every single black man in America has one of these stories, Harvard or no.  Just ask Henry Louis Gates.  Sigh.  Thank heavens the situation is finally coming to light.

And, yes, he made the year-end finals one year and then made the finals of that tournament.  I think he's one player who maximized his ability.  I remember first seeing him on TV and not much was expected of him.  I remembered how attractive he was, but then was so impressed that he ended up a pretty consistently top-20 player.

Wow...congratulations to two of the most boring quaterfinal matches ever. I wasn't expecting much from Gasquet so that's no surprise. And I guess that win against Murray took everything out of Anderson because this was like a practice session for Wawrinka. This is especially disappointing coming off some really great women's quaterfinal matches. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

Wow...congratulations to two of the most boring quaterfinal matches ever. I wasn't expecting much from Gasquet so that's no surprise and I guess that win against Murray took everything about Anderson because this was like a practice session for Wawrinka. This is especially disappointing coming off some really great women's quaterfinal matches. 

Yeah, the chauvinistic schedule (women in the day session/men at night) really bit them in the ass. Now they're showing the Djokovic match from last night even though we didn't get to see all of the Wawrinka match. Hopefully TC will d a better job.

Wow, the women had their first all 3 set matches in the quarterfinals since 1982.   Terrific matches, and while I feel bad for Vika in particular, I do think that her slightly decreased mobility would have hampered her with Serena if she got to the finals.

Don't want to jinx, but Roberta beating Serena in the semi finals  would probably be the greatest upset in women's tennis in the Open Era.  Simona Halep is the #2 seed and I love her gutsy play so far, and It I wouldn't mind the top two women seeds battling it out in the finals.

While she would be a clear underdog, I could watch Simona's glorious BH all day long.

Despite some very good doubles on Armstrong today (both Men's SFs, the 2nd Women's SF and a Men's Champions match with Cash, Philippoussis and the McEnroes) there will be NO tennis broadcast by ESPN until the Women's Singles tonight on Ashe. FUCK ESPN!!! I'm not really liking this new schedule; I'm guessing it will be the same tomorrow.

Edited by renard
Despite some very good doubles on Armstrong today (both Men's SFs, the 2nd Women's SF and a Men's Champions match with Cash, Philippoussis and the McEnroes) there will be NO tennis broadcast by ESPN

Normally I would join in wholeheartedly on the "Fuck ESPN!" sentiments, but this year all the TV courts are available live and on replay on the usopen.org website.  It's the ESPN3 service they're always touting, but this year was the first time I could use it.  They used to restrict it to customers of certain cable providers, but suddenly I can watch it this year.  It's really very good if you don't mind watching on your computer or phone or whatever.

I expect they'll be showing all the doubles.  I've watched several doubles matches on there during the tournament.

• Love 1

Normally I would join in wholeheartedly on the "Fuck ESPN!" sentiments, but this year all the TV courts are available live and on replay on the usopen.org website.  It's the ESPN3 service they're always touting, but this year was the first time I could use it.  They used to restrict it to customers of certain cable providers, but suddenly I can watch it this year.  It's really very good if you don't mind watching on your computer or phone or whatever.

I expect they'll be showing all the doubles.  I've watched several doubles matches on there during the tournament.

I have not yet upgraded to a SmartTV, AppleTV, etc. so I still depend on and actual...TV and the AT&T U-verse set top box. ESPN is forcing us to "learn" to watch TV on devices other than ordinary TV; they do not see tennis on network channels in the future (low ad revenues) but only available via app/internet. I certainly enjoyed the experiment a few years back wherein Tennis Channel utilized multiple channels via DirecTV to show all of the courts. I have used the usopen.org website before when there was conflict with local midday news and CBS's coverage as well as Saturday coverage on CBS when I was at a high school event. I'll have to borrow a 2nd laptop and set both up on my desk to watch instead of working on my laptop and looking up at the TV as I do with everything else. Also, I can't record anything while I'm gone on an airport run this afternoon. To think that in 2015, we're back to the days before the VCR.

Geeze, Reechard , it's such a Gasquet peformance , oh well.

Roberta Vinci is such a scrappy player, and with that soft ball, slice BH style she's certainly an anomaly these days in the women's game. While I don't think she has a great shot versus Serena, (well, close to zero) she's interesting.

I actually like her game, as well as Simona's and Flavia's. The problem is that they don't do what

Vika and Petra do at their best, which is rob Serena of time with their own power. Regardless Serena would have been the favorite against any of them , but with Flavia and Simona I just feel their balls sit up for Serena that fraction of a second more to whale on it. That being said, I just think Serena's defensive skills are highly underrated even now, in the past her achiless feel was getting lazy with her footwork but now she has the stutter steps to be able to utilize her power. Of course the serve is just a monster, the only comparable one is Sampras in how it can dominate a match.

It annoys me when people talk about the lack of "depth" in womens tennis, if the women seeds come through it's used to point out how predictable the womens game is, if they fall it proves the women are head cases. I just think overall women's is deep, but everyone falls short of Serena, that'a ll.

• Love 2

I think there was much better competition back in the days of Capriati, Clijsters, Davenport etc. They were all big girls who could handle Williams' power. The current field now is just too inconsistent. Azarenka struggles with injuries, Sharapova is slow, and players like Ivanovic will have one great tournament and then bomb out in the first round of the next three. Bouchard is a head case, Kvitova is streaky and Halep is a great athlete but doesn't have the size to make a dent in Serena's game. Serena pretty much owns the tour until she gets bored and retires.

I think Capriati outside of Venus was probably Serena's best competitor overall, most of their matches were 3 set affairs and she was deceptively fast and powerful to stand toe to toe with Serena. Again, injuries derailed her.

Justine Henin had about one season where she could match Serena on all surfaces but it took it's toll on her body, and the rest of the field, such as Davenport, Hingis, etc. pretty much faded away in time as far as competition for Serena or burned out.

I agree none of the other women standout today as THE rival, however part of the injury toll is that the game is much more physical these days (conditioning, racket technology, etc) , and also I do think it's no coincidence that once Serena buckled down and really worked on her conditioning, (with Patrick and company) her game has blossomed even more.

So I think it's part she's clearly head and shoulders above everyone else. I've never seen her look so fit for such a long period of time, she's not winded in matches as you would see even in other periods when she was #1 in her career. That is the biggest difference. Add no consistent rival and it's the perfect storm.

Sure she struggles in early round matches but it's not because she's trying to literally play into shape that one would see before.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1

Caracas, I agree and I also think it's pretty obvious Serena doesn't bring her A-game until the second week of the tournament. Even when she's behind in early round matches she's never panicked. She knows she just has to up her level a notch and she's got the win.

There doesn't seem to be any legit contenders that are fluid "movers" that have court coverage to rival Serena, Justine and Kim Cljisters were probably the last.

Most women players today are either great movers who lack fire power (relative to Serena) or vice versa. Venus declined (probably due to her undiagnosed condition ) but she's closest to speed and power.

Madison Keys doesn't have that "jump start" quickness that Serena possess, the other heavy hitters have adequate to OK movement (Azarenka, Sharapova, Petra K., etc) . It's a mini army of Mary Pierces.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 3

In my little corner I'm rooting for the ultimate headcase, Reechard Gasquet.... he has such a pretty BH. I think it's my fave one handed

It's my favorite! So pretty.

It seems silly, but I am like this a lot of the time on the men's side and sometimes the women's side, too.

Also, I can't record anything while I'm gone on an airport run this afternoon. To think that in 2015, we're back to the days before the VCR.

On ESPN3, there are replays available the next day here. Of course, it's hard to avoid the results.

James Blake mistaken for identity thief suspect, tackled and handcuffed.

How sad that my first thought was, "Pheww! At least he didn't get shot." I can't believe that the police never identified themselves. They just tackled him. Blake could've started defending himself, thinking the cop was a mugger, and then he probably would have gotten shot.

So far, the women's semis aren't nearly as exciting as the quarterfinal matches. I was surprised Simona Halep shat the bed (shit the bed?) so badly in her match, but it's nice to see a player in her '30s doing well and reaching the final. That'll be another story all day-- the two finalists will both be over 30 (whether it's Serena or Vinci).

Looking for your opinion--the 3-year-old little girl whose "Serena Williams" video went viral: cute or annoying? I hadn't heard about it till today, when the U.S. Open announcers talked about it and showed part of the video between the women's matches. I suppose they had to fill time.

I found the video adorable, but I'm a sucker for baby and cat videos.

Edited by topanga

Boy, you can't count your chickens until...

Huge upset (biggest of Open history?) but I loooved Roberta's touch volleys, they were like BUTTAH. She kept her head and of course Serena is going to kick herself to how passive she got at times. Oh well.

Wow, what a huge win for Vinci. I loved her attitude in her post-match interview as well.

The announcers are killing me with their over-analysis of Serena's loss. The woman is human, she gets nervous just like anyone else. I also thought Vinci played a smart match by giving Serena lots of slice backhands and coming into net. It's similar to what Mattek-Sands tried to do but couldn't execute.

On another note, how badly do you guys think the network execs and sponsors are crapping their pants right now that two essentially no-name players are in the finals?

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 3

I'll be thrilled to watch a final devoid of loud, consistent shrieking or grunting. I can't watch Vika or Maria without muting the sound. I believe that the tennis gulags of Florida have finally stopped encouraging the little girls to do that.Yes, I'm old, so you kids get off my lawn!!

• Love 4

I.Just.Can't.Believe.It.    Serena was definitely off today. She didn't have that fire, and so she lost.

So sad...   I'll be back later.

I wonder if Arthur Ashe will still be packed for the Women's final.

I was stunned to see Serena lose. But there is a small part of me that's pleased that Steffi's achievement still stands. Steffi was my girl. Anyway the next major Serena wins, she'll tie Steffi for slams and will likely surpass her.