Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E11: Kimmy Rides a Bike!

Jon Hamm was a great choice as the Reverend.

I knew he was showing up for a few episodes, because he talked about it on Never Not Funny a while back, but wasn't sure who he was playing. My first guess was that he's be Krakowski's husband, but when they mentioned the trial was coming up, it made sense that he'd be the Reverend.

• Love 2

I wish Fey had resisted the temptation to put herself into an episode.  Or at least she'd have put herself into a better one.  She's much better than an OJ Simpson Trial reference that's even more out of date than Kimmy's pop culture knowledge.  Props for the wig, though.

Also, the payoff with Nick Kroll as the spin class guy really wasn't worth the build-up, except for Jacqueline's horror at realizing what the candles were for.

• Love 1

Well then you can't come into our bunker.

Totally Team Gretchen on this one. In a bunker with Jon Hamm for 15 years? Sign me up.

(Not to discredit or insult the plight of real kidnapping victims here. I just love Jon Hamm.)

• Love 5

This one was by far my least favorite episode so far. I didn't find any of the court room stuff funny. And the fact that the big reveal for Kroll's character was just toilet humor was a let down. The show has been really funny up to this point, so I know they could have done better.

• Love 3

Keep taking guest spots on comedies, Jon.  They have to let you have an Emmy eventually.  

Heh, maybe Reverend Wayne will abduct Kymmi next season.

• Love 2

Keep taking guest spots on comedies, Jon. They have to let you have an Emmy eventually.

Or maybe - plot twist - the Reverend is really Kymmi's father!
  • Love 3

Keep taking guest spots on comedies, Jon.  They have to let you have an Emmy eventually.  

Well after this season he should have 16 nominations. Maybe it'll finally be his year?

(edited)

I just don't see what the hype is about Jon Hammer...he isn't funny to me and he isn't all that charming.

Well then you can't come into our bunker.

And no Jon Hamm's john ham for you!

eta: Sorry, the quote authors got reversed.

Edited by Wouldofshouldof
  • Love 1

I absolutely LOVED this one! Jon Hamm was absolutely perfect as the reverend. The trial scenes were pure gold. Maybe it was just because Hamm's appearance delighted me so much, but every scene of the trial filled me with so much joy! And I loved Fey's appearance as the incompetent lawyer - she (and the other lawyer) brought the perfect amount of ridiculous incompetence to be hilarious, but not enough to steal the scene from Hamm, to whom it rightfully belonged!

The only thing that came close to topping Hamm's performance in this ep was the NY public library sign, "masturbate responsibly."

And I don't think the spin class storyline amounted to nothing but toilet humour. It was making a pretty great point about idols. The way that Kimmy has always been helping Jacqueline to cut out her avoidance strategies and really deal with the problem within, this was another prime example of women (and gay guy!) putting their minds, bodies and beliefs in the hands of a man who purports to offer solutions to all of their problems... when in truth, he is a ridiculous figure with no power, who really only tricks them into thinking that he's responsible for the things they are doing all on their own. The toilet gag at the end was not the ultimate goal of the scene, just a way of knocking an idol off his pedestal and revealing him as the absurd loser he is. I found it quite satisfying!

• Love 16

Totally Team Gretchen on this one. In a bunker with Jon Hamm for 15 years? Sign me up.

(Not to discredit or insult the plight of real kidnapping victims here. I just love Jon Hamm.)

By Gosh and his son Jeepers, I'll join you in the bunker! 

Honestly, I've been a fan of him for a while now. And it goes beyond him being ridiculously (ridiculously!) handsome. But seeing him go from playing the lonely, tormented and usually humorless Don Draper on Mad Men to silly lighthearted characters like here, and the one he played on 30 Rock.... well I'm even more of a fan than I was before. 

• Love 2

I loved the bit in this episode where Tituss is trying to be supportive but keeps blurting out what he really wants to do:

"I'm gonna go to the library and watch it. Damn it, I'm really trying to comfort you. I'm gonna go to the library and watch it."

• Love 9

Eh, I actually hate Jon Hamm as the reverend. I do think he is hilarious, but they made the character so goofy and cartoonish so for me it kind of takes away from the whole horror of what happened to Kimmy. Which I think makes the show less darkly funny, and that was kind of a huge draw of the show for me, this sunshiney cute funny show that was all because of an escape from a really terrible thing. I like the beginning of the season better when things were referenced like her scream lines, and I didn't really have any idea what caused it. Now I picture absurd Jon Hamm being the reason for it all, and not to say being kidnapped and held captive for 15 years isn't bad enough, but he just does not seem that horror inducing. I wish they did not show the character yet and just teased her past for longer.

Titus and the library was the best part of the episode. I loved his expressions while watching the trial.

• Love 6

The only thing that came close to topping Hamm's performance in this ep was the NY public library sign, "masturbate responsibly."

That sign killed me dead.

I loved the bit in this episode where Tituss is trying to be supportive but keeps blurting out what he really wants to do:

"I'm gonna go to the library and watch it. Damn it, I'm really trying to comfort you. I'm gonna go to the library and watch it."

And this part, every time, was my favorite of the whole series.  Telegraphed all the way, but so perfectly executed that it had me on the floor each time.

• Love 1

I was pondering the other day who will inevitably play the Reverend and I sighed and thoughts they'll probably get Jon Hamm. It was actually funny when he showed up although the trial scenes were not that funny.

I actually have been enjoying the Titus plots more in the past few episodes. I think it's TBs performance. He is amazing to me and I didn't even love DeFwan on 30 Rock.

I don't know why, but the eye rolling from Titus and his adversarial relationship with the librarian was hilarious to me. 

The resolution with Christopher wasn't my favorite. Can't say I've ever been a fan of "potty humor" - but the theme behind it was pretty excellent. 

I will give up my portion of Jon Hamm's jon hamm. I didn't recognize him (never watched 30 Rock or Mad Men). More for everyone else!! On that note, I got the OJ references in that I recognized them. But I don't understand why they were used. The American legal system is an easy target to lampoon, but the references were for the audience - not Kimmy. They didn't need to be so outdated. As mentioned above - nice cameo for Fey, but for some reason that character didn't really resonate. 

More Carol Kane please. 

• Love 1

So was Tina Fey's character, Marcia, supposed to be a representation of Marcia Clark, the prosecutor from the OJ trial (same hair style she had at the time of the trial)? That was the reference to them being failed lawyers from California, right?

Edited by Nighteyes
  • Love 2

She even had Marcia Clark's little mole on her upper lip. Were Clark and Darden really a couple in real life? Because I loved the flirty relationship between UKS's Marcia and Chris. "This one takes so long to get ready in the morning!"

I thought John Hamm was the perfect choice to play a cult leader who is obviously evil yet instantly charms nearly everyone he encounters.

• Love 2

She even had Marcia Clark's little mole on her upper lip. Were Clark and Darden really a couple in real life? Because I loved the flirty relationship between UKS's Marcia and Chris. "This one takes so long to get ready in the morning!"

There were rumors that they were having an affair during the trial, yes.

• Love 2

Jacqueline drinking Kimmy's hair sweat was so unnecessary. Other than that, I liked the episode. The "No Food or Drink…Masturbate Responsibly" sign made me laugh and laugh.

I don't watch Mad Men, so it took me a minute to recognize Hamm. I thought he did a great job, but I thought the spin class guy was even better (can't think of his name right now).

• Love 1

Jon Hamm as the reverend is nothing short of inspired. I mean, he could easily lure four women into a bunker (and still have one of them totally enamored with him after fifteen years). Although I really hate the stuff that's come out about him recently regarding his fraternity days. Why does God torment me with talented but problematic celebrities?

I also really enjoyed the point the show made with the spin class. I'm not the biggest fan of potty humor myself, but it got across the point that it needed to.

Jacqueline mocking Kimmy was wonderful. Jane Krakowski is a treasure.

Titus was A++ this episode. "Come on, Florida!"

Tina as Marcia Clark was definitely outdated, but is it possible that that could be the point? We've spent so much of this season listening to Kimmy say really ridiculous, outdated things, so why not have an actual ridiculous, outdated thing? Idk, I think Tina (as well as the writers she chooses to work under her) is definitely smart enough to be that meta.

• Love 1

I had been spoiled that Jon Hamm was going to be The Reverend, but it didn't make the reveal any less awesome.  Even though he will probably be known as Don Draper for a long time, he really excels at these comedic roles (this, 30 Rock, Wet Hot Summer America) too, and I think that will be huge for him, going forward post-Mad Men.  Can't wait to see more of him in these final episodes.

On the other hand, was kind of underwhelmed by Tina Fey's bit.  I get that she was going for the whole "OJ trial lawyers" thing, but it just didn't stick the landing for me, and she wasn't all that funny in the role.  Oh, well.  No one bats a hundred, I guess.

Of course, Nick Kroll would be Christopher.  He is pretty much made for these type of roles.  The resolution was kind of a letdown, but I loved Kimmy and Jacqueline's rivalry, and how ridiculous it was.

Titus in the library was great.  Also loved the running gag of him trying to be supportive, but was obviously excited over getting to see the crazy-ass trial.

• Love 1

Finally started watching this now (at least I'll be caught up for season two) and I guess I'm the only one who thought the Eyes Wide Shut throwaway gag was hysterical.  It made me laugh so hard I had to pause the show for a few seconds! 

Come on Florida! 

Tina Fey as Marcia Clark is a lot more timely now that the OJ Simpson tv movie aired. 

My least favorite episode. I didn't find the trial funny at all and kept looking at my phone during those scenes - a sure tell that I was bored. 

I did crack up at the analogy of the Spin Cycle program to a cult.