Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: The Trail / S01.E02: The Father

In the premiere of this drama series, Ben Crawford becomes the prime suspect in a murder after finding the body of his neighbor's young son, and he and his family are engulfed in a media firestorm after a detective's routine questioning. In the second hour, Ben starts to conduct his own investigation, and the deceased boy's mother suspects his estranged father may be responsible for his death.

Ditto on Juliet Lewis and the scowly faces.  I just can't.  It's too bad because, otherwise, the show might have been interesting but I'll have to pass on this one. 

Juliette Lewis is completely miscast as the detective (and is the aspect of the show most clearly trying to rip off Gone Girl, though she doesn't have a patch on Kim Dickens).

Also, our main character is a moron.  How many times in just the premiere does he create problems for himself by withholding information that he should know will come out shortly?  Continuing to lie to his wife about the paternity of the kid, even after admitting that he had an affair, is just mindbogglingly dumb.

• Love 2
(edited)

I think Juliette Lewis is fine in her role.  I don't like the character but she's a far more credible antagonist than I expected.

Ryan Philippe's character made a few too many plot-mandated dumb decisions for me to completely go with it.  Personally I would have lawyered up from minute one and the polygraph (among other decisions) was beyond dumb.

Also, Drunk Slob Buddy can get catapulted off into the sky any day now.  What an irritating load.

Edited by Malbec
  • Love 3

By the end of that 2 hours, I was sick of the cop always being an asshole, and never going 2 minutes without someone trying to escape from reporters.  I thought it was ok, but agree the hero withholding the kid's paternity from his wife who he's already on the skids with is just an eye-roller.

• Love 5
(edited)

Something just really wasn't working for me with this show. I'll stick it out because I can't pass up a murder mystery, no matter how bad and so I have to watch and find out who killed the kid. Not to mention that looking at Ryan Philippe is never a bad way to spend an hour. But yeah this just didn't really do it for me. I don't know if it's because I watch way too many true crime shows (I live for Investigation Discovery) so it's made me nitpicky but so many things just bugged me not to mention it felt a bit all over the place to me. 

I have to say, that unpopular opinion, I actually did understand why the guy didn't immediately tell the wife the child was his. Yes he'd admitted about the affair but he did so without knowing the kid was his. And it is one thing to tell your wife you had an affair which is already horrible and hard enough but then to go tell her you fathered a child and said child who's now dead that you discovered. I also call bullshit on the police "leak" and think the detective leaked it herself. 

Which incidentally is one of the things not working for me with this show. I'm all for a determined detective, even a hard-assed one but this woman just came across as someone who made up her mind immediately that the guy did it and she was going to prove it no matter what. I didn't get that she is looking at everyone and considering all angles (like did she even know the daughter apparently was allowing the crazy estranged husband to see the kid when she was babysitting him). Her whole demeanor and attitude has come across very witch-hunt like to me. And the season long promo didn't change my mind and instead made it seem like they're setting up as her being some crazy cop. 

Speaking of witch-hunt, WTF - I have never lived in a neighborhood where a horrific crime has been committed so maybe this is normal but do people just try and condemn a person that quickly? It didn't even seem like it had been a week, not to mention that all that was known was that the guy found the body and was questioned. And yet everyone was already being aggressive, not letting him work for them, people are writing child killer on his garage, the black neighbor is giving him evil stares and rudely asking the guy why he's at his own home, the store clerk barely wants to sell to him. Like really... The whole thing just felt a bit forced for dramatic purposes. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 16
I think Juliette Lewis is fine in her role.  I don't like the character but she's a far more credible antagonist than I expected.

Yep. And the way she talks takes getting used to for me. Sounded like she dropped her voice a bit and it was kind of on the monotone side.

The one good thing Ryan P's older daughter said was that thing about changing the tv channels. "There might be something better on."  I'm the same way!

• Love 4

Speaking of witch-hunt, WTF - I have never lived in a neighborhood where a horrific crime has been committed so maybe this is normal but do people just try and condemn a person that quickly? It didn't even seem like it had been a week, not to mention that all that was known was that the guy found the body and was questioned. And yet everyone was already being aggressive, not letting him work for them, people are writing child killer on his garage, the black neighbor is giving him evil stares and rudely asking the guy why he's at his own home, the store clerk barely wants to sell to him. Like really... The whole thing just felt a bit forced for dramatic purposes. 

I can sort of understand people who don't know him, but you would think that neighbours would be aware that the victim's mother continues to associate with him and does not appear to believe he did it.

• Love 5

I think Juliette laid it on really thick, so much so I found it hard to take her seriously.  Maybe future episodes will give her character more shades, but I like it better when the Detective is adept to using charm to catch the criminals, not just acting like a hard ass.  When she launched into that speech about the truth always coming out and her never stopping I wish Ryan Philippe would have told her to shut up.

Ryan does look like just a kid still.  I also think he had that big bump on his forehead removed, he used to have it in movies, I even remember them discussing it in a directors commentary once.  I like him a lot, he's just so cute.

• Love 3
(edited)

I felt in a lot of ways this show is very similar to Broadchurch.  Felt that especially when Ryan Philippe's character caught the older daughter meeting with Scott, who was on a motorcycle. The only problem, is that this show is not as good as Broadchurch, at least thus far.  However, I will keep an open mind.

Juliette Lewis' character comes across as more "annoying cop" then astute detective.  Knocking on the suspect's door ALL the time.  Taking advantage of the wife giving consent for a search of the home.  Pulling Ryan's character into the interrogation room at all times.  I think she is a bit too zealous for this being early in the investigation.  

I agree that Ryan's character should have told his wife that he was Tom's father soon after he found out, but I remember in a couple of scenes that he seemed to be trying to tell her, but got interrupted.  In any case, it sucks she found out through news reports.

Going to give the show a chance to develop, but I almost turned the channel a couple of times just as the daughter and Valny said I could do:

The one good thing Ryan P's older daughter said was that thing about changing the tv channels. "There might be something better on."  I'm the same way!

To me, it all felt a bit overdone, but I'm going to hang in there!*

*At least long enough to learn all of the character's names!

Edited by damalanop
  • Love 1

I thought Ryan was surprisingly believable in the role. He didn't make me cringe, even when forced into too many cliches.

Juliette, I think, is channeling Mariska Hargitay' s Olivia Benson. The hair they've given Juliette is so severe that her lumpy chin/jawline/jowls are emphasized to me, and distracting. She can't help that, of course, but between all the hard-ass cliches she's given to spout and the disconcerting lower facial features, I think she deserves so much better.

When we're first introduced to the bearded lawyer, Tim Busfield, sitting behind his desk and slightly slumped, I swear I saw Tim Allen as he morphed into Santa in the original Santa Clause.

The actors playing mom and daughter are so similar in appearance that at a distance I can't tell them apart. I noticed that the writers had Ryan and KaDee make sure to tell us early on how young they are! We're married for 17 years! But we were only 19 when we met! Do the math, people!

That's a beautiful home and neighborhood they're living in. At first I thought Ryan's housepainter income couldn't support this, but did I understand that the wife is a realtor? Then yes their living situation is plausible.

The tableau of the frenzied media outside the house and constantly blaring on the tv is so OLD! Those situations are rooted in truth I guess, but enough! I blame you, Nancy Grace, devil woman!!

Too many cliches and hackneyed ideas for me.

And speaking of cliches, please tell me we weren't already given a nice big fat signal of who the real killer is?! As Ryan walked/jogged the street the day after, there was Melissa Gilbert trying mightily to steer her big, strapping, uncooperative son on to the school bus. The boy is developmentally disabled, but big, as in he doesn't know his own strength. And I think it's significant that there's been no hint of a sexual assault on the poor little Tom. Please let me be wrong about Gilbert's son because that solution will make me angry.

• Love 4

I've been watching way too much CSI- I'm plumping for younger daughter as killer with the elder covering for her.

That is one hell of a groupthink jump to conclusion neighborhood. We have seen nothing to indicate why people would immediately want to string him up.

• Love 1
(edited)
That is one hell of a groupthink jump to conclusion neighborhood. We have seen nothing to indicate why people would immediately want to string him up.

Seriously, it was so heavy-handed, just like the detective and all her evil stares and "I'm going to get you criminal even if I really have no hard evidence proving you killed this child." The whole thing was just making me eye-roll and taking me out of the show. Another example of the ridiculous behavior that the guy must be this murderer, was the child's mother's sister.

Even she was abrupt and cold like the guy was guilty of something when I'm like, wouldn't she, like her sister be suspecting the crazy estranged husband who went AWOL and was violent towards the woman? The only thing I thought was maybe the sister told her the guy was the child's father and she resented him for that.

The boy is developmentally disabled, but big, as in he doesn't know his own strength. And I think it's significant that there's been no hint of a sexual assault on the poor little Tom. Please let me be wrong about Gilbert's son because that solution will make me angry.

The only thing that stood out to me was the child was playing with some device during the funeral service and tapped on a Tyler I believe and Ryan's character turns around and says to the woman, "Tyler's back...:" and she, all nervous, says "oh no he's just confused." I didn't fully understand what it meant because I didn't even know who Tyler is and maybe we haven't met him yet but that moment gave me pause because the mother was clearly nervous and lying in my opinion, for a reason.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

I forgot to,watch this, lol.

Anyway I saw the AU version too recently...not sure I can get into this one. I expect it is much worse...sounds it. Though Ben was pretty dumb in the original too.

• Love 2
(edited)

Juliette Lewis's character is pulled straight from gone girl but is taken to such an unflattering and downright pathological place here.  You'd think by that point in her career, such a person would either have burnt out or learned to stop projecting her own crap onto every possible suspect.  And it looks like they talk about five times a day, and she shows up at his house at all times from 6am to 10pm at night?  Maybe this will be such a trainwereck that she will turn out to be the killer. 

I don't really buy that the media is this interested in such a story or that the public at large is so frenzied at Ben being a possible suspect in the case that they are chasing after his car down the street threatening him.  Did Jess show that cell-phone video to the cops or not?  If they don't care, and if Jess really cares about Ben, she should leak that to the media.  It's such obvious evidence.  While I'd like to watch Ryan Phillipe, I don't think I can take more of this. 

Edited by Glade
  • Love 2

The Olivia Benson comparison made me laugh because this show reminds me of how there's always one guy at the beginning of most SVU episodes whose life gets totally ruined by the detectives showing up and going "WE KNOW SOMEBODY MOLESTED THAT POOR KID.  YOU WERE THE LAST PERSON SEEN WITH HIM, BOB.  WHAT'S UP?" in front of friends, family, business associates, etc.

Did Jess show that cell-phone video to the cops or not?  If they don't care, and if Jess really cares about Ben, she should leak that to the media.  It's such obvious evidence.  While I'd like to watch Ryan Phillipe, I don't think I can take more of this. 

This!  This really bothered me.  Like... I get that Ben and Jess were in an emotionally difficult place, but if I had Juliette Lewis on my ass ten times a day trying to find me guilty, I'd be like "we're taking a quick trip to the police station with this."

I think there's a good show buried under some of these contrivances, but man... the contrivances. 

• Love 2

I really wanted to like this.  I don't hate it, but I don't love it either.  Couple of observations:

- KaDee Strickland finally toned down her accent. 

- Juliette Lewis' cadence was so stilted and weird that I couldn't focus on anything else.  I hope she settled into the character soon.

- I thought the youngest daughter was Ryan Philippe's daughter IRL in one scene because she looked EXACTLY like Reese Witherspoon.  (I know nothing about his children IRL other than he has some.  I don't know gender or ages).

That little boy was awfully close to the family.  Not in any sinister way (I don't think), but it just seemed weird HOW involved they were with him.  Typically, when a teenager babysits a kid, the whole family doesn't get involved.  Another weird thing about this show to me.

I also thought this reminded me a lot of Broadchurch and Gone Girl.  I also find it infuriating that the cops don't seem to be even considering other leads.  I was also wondering why the neighbors were ready to lynch Ben when he willingly went with the cops for questioning.  Wasn't that the next morning.  OBVIOUSLY they're going to have more questions for the person who found the body. 

I have to admit.  I'm confused about the affair.  Didn't it seem like the wife JUST found out?  For some reason it seemed to me that that was what their fight was about the night he went and got drunk with the slacker friend.  How and why did she find out now?  It just seems way too convenient that ALL of this is happening right now. 

• Love 2
Did Jess show that cell-phone video to the cops or not?  If they don't care, and if Jess really cares about Ben, she should leak that to the media.  It's such obvious evidence.

I don't know if she showed them the video but Ryan's character asked if she told the cops what she told him and she said she did. And of course the detective looked completely bored when the guy mentioned the ex - because it makes perfect sense that this guy killed this kid because he was so afraid his wife would find out it was his even though he had no problem having the kid that close to his family and in his life. But the crazy ex with PTSD who may have found out the kid he thought was his isn't, doesn't seem to be a pressing person of interest. 

If it's Christmas in Charlotte, why are the trees all leafed out like in full summer?

They actually had the loser friend/house-guest comment on that and Ryan's character make some comment about global warming. 

I have to admit.  I'm confused about the affair.  Didn't it seem like the wife JUST found out?  For some reason it seemed to me that that was what their fight was about the night he went and got drunk with the slacker friend.  How and why did she find out now?  It just seems way too convenient that ALL of this is happening right now.

Yeah that part was sort of unclear. It does seem like affair is the obvious thing they would have had such a horrible fight about where she kicked him out and he got so drunk he can't remember the night. But then he states that it was a one-night stand, so not a full blown affair that resulted in this kid who was six years old which meant Ryan's character had already held the secret for six years. So it is weird that randomly after all that time he'd tell his wife.

It does support the theory others stated about the wife maybe being the one who killed the kid. Despite her supposed "shock", she might have figured out the kid was his. In fact, maybe that's how he ended up confessing. Maybe the wife just had an intuition and with the kid hanging around and spending so much time with their family, a part of her started seeing similarities and things that reminded her of her husband so she confronted him about whether or not anything had happened with him and the neighbor. He admits it did once, six years ago and she does the math and figures it out while he's all this time still clueless.

• Love 1

I know I am alone here because there is clearly some RP love going on here, but I think he comes across as appearing guilty.  He has a very evasive way of speaking with people...even family members...and NEVER looks anyone in the eye when answering questions.  To an over-zealous detective who thinks she has her man and just needs to prove it, this evasiveness would seem very "guilt-like".  

One of the lessons to be learned here (and it is unfortunate that it is a reality), is that whenever one is questioned by the police, one should ALWAYS have representation, regardless of how innocent one is.  There have been many cases in which guilty pleas have been extracted from innocent folks through manipulation, twisting of words and endless hours of badgering and interrogation.

• Love 6

I know I am alone here because there is clearly some RP love going on here, but I think he comes across as appearing guilty.  He has a very evasive way of speaking with people...even family members...and NEVER looks anyone in the eye when answering questions.  To an over-zealous detective who thinks she has her man and just needs to prove it, this evasiveness would seem very "guilt-like".  

One of the lessons to be learned here (and it is unfortunate that it is a reality), is that whenever one is questioned by the police, one should ALWAYS have representation, regardless of how innocent one is.  There have been many cases in which guilty pleas have been extracted from innocent folks through manipulation, twisting of words and endless hours of badgering and interrogation.

I completely agree.  For some reason, people still seem to think that if you get a lawyer you appear guilty even if you're not. 

I think (and could be completely wrong) that Ben appeared to be lying because he DID have an affair with the little boy's mother and initially didn't want to fess up to that.  The one thing that makes me really suspicious, though, is that if he was THAT drunk the night before and hung-over the next day would he really be up for a run?  Also, when I go for a walk or run I always have my phone.  Mostly because it has all my music that keeps me on pace.  I am sure there are people who like to run in silence, but in this day and age it seems weird that he wouldn't have his phone.

I thought Ryan was surprisingly believable in the role. He didn't make me cringe, even when forced into too many cliches.

And speaking of cliches, please tell me we weren't already given a nice big fat signal of who the real killer is?! As Ryan walked/jogged the street the day after, there was Melissa Gilbert trying mightily to steer her big, strapping, uncooperative son on to the school bus. The boy is developmentally disabled, but big, as in he doesn't know his own strength. And I think it's significant that there's been no hint of a sexual assault on the poor little Tom. Please let me be wrong about Gilbert's son because that solution will make me angry.

Ryan Philippe generally plays bad guys well.  Whether or not he is actually the killer, he's meant to look guilty to everyone, and the actor does a great job.  I was one of the people who thought he looked too young for the role (even though the character is only 36 or so and Ryan is 40), but he acts well.

Re:  Melissa Gilbert's son, during the funeral he says he wants Tyler (or something like that).  I got the impression that Tyler is a brother who is off at school somewhere.  Ben asks if he is back and Melissa Gilbert's character says no and looks flustered.  Sounds like the brother might really be back and implicated somehow...

I'm an avid viewer of Law & Order and there have been many occasions on that show when the police have bullied people into not consulting with lawyers by suggesting that if they have nothing to hide, they shouldn't need a lawyer.  People should ALWAYS have a lawyer with them, especially if you are the last person to see a dead/missing person or if you're the one who found them or if you are involved in any business or personal relationships with them.  Apparently Ben doesn't watch enough TV!

• Love 1
(edited)

I thought it was good. Although Ryan Phillipe looks too young to have a 17 year old daughter. I know he is 40 so technically it's possible but he looks 30 imo.

The funny thing is, the actress who plays the older daughter is a year older than RP's real life girlfriend (24). That has to feel a little odd.

Juliette, I think, is channeling Mariska Hargitay' s Olivia Benson. The hair they've given Juliette is so severe that her lumpy chin/jawline/jowls are emphasized to me, and distracting. She can't help that, of course, but between all the hard-ass cliches she's given to spout and the disconcerting lower facial features, I think she deserves so much better.

When we're first introduced to the bearded lawyer, Tim Busfield, sitting behind his desk and slightly slumped, I swear I saw Tim Allen as he morphed into Santa in the original Santa Clause.

The actors playing mom and daughter are so similar in appearance that at a distance I can't tell them apart. I noticed that the writers had Ryan and KaDee make sure to tell us early on how young they are! We're married for 17 years! But we were only 19 when we met! Do the math, people!

That's a beautiful home and neighborhood they're living in. At first I thought Ryan's housepainter income couldn't support this, but did I understand that the wife is a realtor? Then yes their living situation is plausible.

The tableau of the frenzied media outside the house and constantly blaring on the tv is so OLD! Those situations are rooted in truth I guess, but enough! I blame you, Nancy Grace, devil woman!!

Too many cliches and hackneyed ideas for me.

I had the same thought re: Gilbert's son, hoping that's just a red herring and the actual killer is a more interesting/less predictable reveal.

Edited by SallyAlbright
  • Love 1

The one thing that makes me really suspicious, though, is that if he was THAT drunk the night before and hung-over the next day would he really be up for a run?  Also, when I go for a walk or run I always have my phone.  Mostly because it has all my music that keeps me on pace.  I am sure there are people who like to run in silence, but in this day and age it seems weird that he wouldn't have his phone.

We were asking ourselves the same thing...how can you be drunk enough to have essentially had a black-out, but you can get up in the early morning (still dark) and go for a run?  That would be brutal!  

WRT the phone...if I accidentally walk out of the house without my phone, I feel completely naked and out of touch.  Agree that most would have phone out of habit, to listen to music, or both.

• Love 1

All the actors have to play their roles ambiguously from the start, in order to keep the audience guessing. 

Musings:  I think Juliette had a kid who was killed and thus, this time it's personal.  I don't like or trust the wife or Jess.  The black neighbor giving Ryan stink eye is so the one who scrawled 'child killer' on the garage.  What is this trend of murdered boys?  Change it up and have a murdered girl next time.  I hope this is a limited series, because I can't see multiple seasons over this one case.

And, above all, who is Poor Man's Zack Galifanakis and why is he living in Ryan's garage . . . and where and how does he get so many women?

And, above all, who is Poor Man's Zack Galifanakis and why is he living in Ryan's garage . . . and where and how does he get so many women?

Yeah...the Zach Galifanakis/Jack Black type character is getting pretty played-out.  I believe he mentioned that he targets slightly less-attractive "fat chicks" that apparently are easier targets. He said something along the lines of, "Fat loves fat.".  (His words;not mine...save the hate mail  :) ).

I harbor an intense dislike of reporters, cops and (inexplicably) Juliette Lewis.  Obviously, I am ALL IN.  :-)

Also, I watch a lot of true crime.  NEVER talk to the cops.   EVER.  EVER.  EVER.

• Love 4

What is this trend of murdered boys?  Change it up and have a murdered girl next time.  I hope this is a limited series, because I can't see multiple seasons over this one case.

Not sure what you mean by this trend.  Usually it's murdered girls/young women.  The Killing, How to Get Away with Murder, Pretty Little Liars, Twisted, Veronica Mars, most episodes of Law & Order SVU, oldie but goodie Twin Peaks, etc.  Certainly, there are also shows with murdered boys, but I'm curious as to why you think that's the trend.

• Love 4

Musings:  I think Juliette had a kid who was killed and thus, this time it's personal.  I don't like or trust the wife or Jess.  The black neighbor giving Ryan stink eye is so the one who scrawled 'child killer' on the garage.  What is this trend of murdered boys?  Change it up and have a murdered girl next time.  I hope this is a limited series, because I can't see multiple seasons over this one case.

I read that this will be modeled after True Detective as in a new case each year, if it is renewed.  I think that the only recurring character will be Juliette Lewis's, so I hope she gets better.  Right now I can't stand her.

Not sure what you mean by this trend.  Usually it's murdered girls/young women.  The Killing, How to Get Away with Murder, Pretty Little Liars, Twisted, Veronica Mars, most episodes of Law & Order SVU, oldie but goodie Twin Peaks, etc.  Certainly, there are also shows with murdered boys, but I'm curious as to why you think that's the trend.

The list above are all girls.  I'm thinking the original poster was referring to Broadchurch/Gracepoint and...others? I'm sure there are others, I just don't know what they are.

• Love 3

That little boy was awfully close to the family.  Not in any sinister way (I don't think), but it just seemed weird HOW involved they were with him.  Typically, when a teenager babysits a kid, the whole family doesn't get involved.  Another weird thing about this show to me.

I was wondering why the whole community was all teary-eyed at the funeral.  How did all of these people know this kid?

• Love 1

Yes, I was referring to the murdered boys in the Tennant serieses!  The settings are similar.  I watched the English one a few episodes, but everyone was such a jerk, and the accents were hard to follow.

• Love 1

I was wondering why the whole community was all teary-eyed at the funeral.  How did all of these people know this kid?

Actually, that I can kind of get.  As a parent, if a young child was killed in our community and I went to the funeral I would be teary eyed too.  Thinking of the life the child won't get to have, thinking of the parents and their loss, etc....

• Love 7

This show its interesting points, but there are big glaring missteps that make it hard to watch too.  For one thing, it relies on the main character, Ben, being jaw-droppingly stupid at every turn to further the plot along and make the already bad situation get about as "worse" as it could possibly get.  And then there's Juliette Lewis' character, the detective.  At one point I laughed at her standing there scowling in the hallway of the police station because she just looked hilarious to me.  It was supposed to be this really serious situation, but it came off to me like a parody of a hard-nosed cop/detective from some long-forgotten B movie somewhere.  I don't know.  I get that they want to make sure the viewer knows that Ben is being hounded night and day by this mean, obsessed detective who is determined to prove him guilty and won't consider any other reasonable suspects, but I think Ms. Lewis could dial down the scowl a notch or two and we would still get the idea.  She's going to hurt her face.

I am suspicious of the wife because she is awfully calm and content about the upheaval in their lives.  Even if she's just mad at Ben and ready for divorce, she should care about how it affects their daughters but she doesn't seem that concerned even for their sakes.  Ben is constantly getting dragged off to the station and it's like just another day to her, whatever.  She almost seems to relish it, what with giving permission to search the house.  I also don't trust the victim's mother.  Just a thought, but she could be playing Scott and Ben off of each other.

• Love 2

As a North Carolinian, I am most offended that not one single person has a southern accent. And Juliette Lewis gives me the creeps in this role. Her voice, the way she looks at people with her head down.

I agree with other comments, it's definitely not Christmas weather in Charlotte.

• Love 2

So Ryan Phillippe's character has a fling with his neighbor, and 9 months later she has a baby.  It really never occured to him that he was the father?

I feel like this is a typical cop show told from the prespective of the victim's family/suspect instead of the cops.  So we are seeing the detective keep coming back with more question, but don't see whatever evidence she finds that is making her suspect him.  Which is actually pretty interesting idea, but they need to make the lead a bit more sympathetic.

Although Ryan Phillipe looks too young to have a 17 year old daughter. I know he is 40 so technically it's possible but he looks 30 imo.

His real life daughter is 15, so it's definitely not out of the question.  Although that makes me feel old, because I remember when she was born.

Teachers? Parents of classmates? Friends of the mother?  I think most people probably wouldn't have known the kid, but would have gone because they know the parents.  And I think a lot of people with kids would be teary-eyed at the thought of a child dying.  I was once at a funeral for a 10-year-old and there were lots of teary eyed people, most of whom only knew the parents and not the kid.

• Love 1
I feel like this is a typical cop show told from the prespective of the victim's family/suspect instead of the cops.  So we are seeing the detective keep coming back with more question, but don't see whatever evidence she finds that is making her suspect him.

The writers must be aware of this because they advertised this ABC.com exclusive during the show where you can go and find out what evidence the detective has and why she so suspicious of Ben. 

His real life daughter is 15, so it's definitely not out of the question.  Although that makes me feel old, because I remember when she was born.

You and me both. But he was really young when he had her - he and Reese both. I think Reese was 22 and he was 24. 

I wonder if this show isn't using Ben as an unreliable witness, as was done in the Affair.  We've been seeing everything from his POV, but what if that is not what is actually happening?

I like Ryan P., but I'm sick of The Scowling Detective and the off-key wife.  Despite that, I will probably keep watching.

• Love 1

I don't think Ryan Philippe has aged well, his body has but not so much his squished face. It makes it difficult for me to watch the show. Well between that and Juliette Lewis and her scowl.

I'm already tired of the marital strife, hurry up and separate and divorce or forgive and forget.

The backyard bozo did bring up a good point...how does the dad know Ryan is the father? Maury?

• Love 3

Juliet lewis is only good when she plays herself. She's embarrassing inthis role, trying to be a quirky detective. I have a hard time looking at her she's so annoying.

• Love 3
Although Ryan Phillipe looks too young to have a 17 year old daughter. I know he is 40 so technically it's possible but he looks 30 imo.

If someone told me that Ryan Phillipe was 45 I'd believe it.  I'm old enough to be his mother...my sons are 46 and 48 and I don't see much difference.

I'll give Juliet Lewis one more chance, but so far she has ruined this show for me.   A real miscast.

• Love 2

Juliette is trying too hard to impersonate Olivia Benson. But she's failing, miserably. Besides, she doesn't have an Eliott Stabler to help her out. Another thing bugging me, they are all wearing t-shirts and summer clothes, when it's Christmas. Do they really think Charlotte is in Florida? It gets cold there just like everywhere else in N.C. Even the beach is cold.

• Love 1

I agree with other comments, it's definitely not Christmas weather in Charlotte.

I live in Atlanta and I must agree, it does not look like Christmas time.  Although we do have a number of ever-green plants and trees, most everyone has a warm-season lawn that turns brown in the winter.

• Love 2