Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E14: Someone Pick Up My Pieces

After Rayna forced Jeff's hand by revealing his indiscretions to the board members, Edgehill Republic begins to crumble along with Jeff's career. Later, Deacon considers a clinical trial he may be eligible for to receive alternative treatment. To cope with her stress, Scarlett turns to writing again and reconnects with Gunnar, who's doing the same. Avery begins work producing Sadie's new album, while Juliette keeps busy by posing for a Vogue Magazine spread. Then finally, Sadie opens up to Rayna about her ex-husband.

Promo:

Ugh...why can't we just be rid of Jeff...now he will still be involved in the storyline as he will be a bug up Rayna's ass about how she handles his artist Layla.  I kind of hope that Rayna pulls Layla aside and tells her to either lose Jeff as her manager or she can go find another label to take her on.

Wow Teddy, you screwed yourself now b/c you couldn't just let sleeping dogs lie.  I really thought after he had Jeff tracked down and found out that he had apparently told the president of Edgehill about his transgressions, that he was going to go shoot Jeff.  When did Jeff tell the Edgehill president?  I thought the only other person that knew was Rayna.

I did love that Luke Wheeler basically used Jeff for his idea on how to go forward on his own then dumped his ass.

At this point i'm ready for Gunnar to move his mopey ass away.  I'm sad that the kid I thought was my son who was really my nephew b/c my first love/girlfriend cheated on me w/ my now deceased troubled brother and now my cheating ex's parents came and took him away from me so I'm thinking of moving to be near him...  Boohoo.... Sob.... Woe is me....

So I guess we now know that the season finale will be Sadie's ex pulling a Moldavian Massacre and we will have to wait till next season to see who survives.  Let's see, he has a beef so far w/ Sadie, Avery, and now Rayna.  Who know how many others will be added to the list in the coming weeks.

Edited by CMH1981
  • Love 6

I don't care if Jeff's career circles the drain for eternity, but, holy crap, that was a dick move Luke pulled!

Good luck finding some loyalty and security at Luke's new I Hate Rayna label, Will.

And can Avery just get a gig at the Bluebird at the drop of a hat? That was a little "Hey, kids! Let's put on a show," even for this show.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 7

For those who have been weary or disappointed with the show, time to tune in again. Tonight's episode was vintage Nashville. An "A" episode for me. 

I didn't see the fall of Edgehill coming. It was interesting to see both Luke and Will trying to move on. 

I liked seeing Rayna in mentor mode. I liked seeing her make decisions about her label and valuing her professional relationships.

Rayna is better off alone. I do ship Rayna and Sadie a little.

But I'm cooling off Jeff and Layla. I do like the fact their story is a little less predictable than I would have guessed.

That being said Jeff is like a untrained dog, you bring him into your house, he'll mess up the carpet.

On-non Edgehill related news, I liked seeing Emily again. 

I was glad someone was taking care of Scarlett, and Gunnar is not a bad choice. I liked them (and Avery) singing together again. I feel for Deacon and the situation, but Scarlett should have someone she can talk to about his illness. It's kind of awkward that she's dating Deacon's doc.

Teddy continues to be a mess. 

Good to see the show swing back into form! The cast does seem a little big and scattered. I think it could use some pruning. I like Layla's singing so I hope she sticks around. 

• Love 7

Wow Teddy, you screwed yourself now b/c you couldn't just let sleeping dogs lie.  I really thought after he had Jeff tracked down and found out that he had apparently told the president of Edgehill about his transgressions, that he was going to go shoot Jeff.  When did Jeff tell the Edgehill president?  I thought the only other person that knew was Rayna.

I think Jeff was full of shit when he told Teddy that the president knew.  I think he was just pissed, and wanted to get Teddy to panic.  And of course Teddy played right into his hands and now has seriously got himself deep in it.

I think Scarlett/hot doc is slightly inappropriate even though he assured her it was within the rules....But I don't care, he is adorable and I like them together.

That last scene with Avery/Juliette had me tearing up, and I am not even a hardcore shipper.  Hayden really did look stunning in those pics.

• Love 2

Why would the president of Edgehill care about Teddy's transgressions and tell others, hell for all we know he himself could be hooking up w/ hookers on the side.  If anything that would have been the reason to fire Jeff.  "So let me get this straight Jeff...you set up the mayor of Nashville, who happens to be the ex-husband of our former talent Rayna, w/ a professional whore and you are now using said knowledge of that into blackmailing him to sign his underage daughter to the rival record company of his ex to prove you don't hate women?  Uh...you're fired Jeff."

How was Rayna/Highway 65 able to purchase the back catalogue's of so many of their artists that quickly, it seemed like it was in like two days?  I don't know contracts or any of that but wouldn't there be an auction for the back catalogue of artists...or do you think there is a clause in the contract where it says if the company folds that the artist gets first dibs to purchase their back catalogue or then it goes to an auction.  I only ask this b/c it reminds me of how Michael Jackson ended up owning most of the Beatles recordings after they were auctioned off.  If Rayna did get first dibs I would think she would be in the red massively after Sadie's issue then purchasing catalogue upon catalogue of her own music as well as Juliette and the others she is trying to sign.

Edited by CMH1981
  • Love 4

Another stellar episode.

Layla sleeping on the couch waiting to see Rayna was one of my favorite scenes. And I NEVER thought I'd type the words "favorite and Layla" in a sentence.

Rayna and Luke's talk in the elevator made me feel bad for him. He's still hurting and she's so over him. Cold ass Luke dumping Jeff was all kinds of awesomeness.

Poor Will. Turn down tons of offers to stay protected by Jeff and then loses him. He should have gone with Rayna.

Scarlett and cute doc, good pairing. Now if he'd talk her into a haircut, I'd really love him.

How does Teddy manage to run a city without a brain? Hope he's the liver donor. That's about all he's good for anymore.

And finally, single Rayna in kick ass protective mama bear mode with Sadie just made the show for me. I wish she would just stay sing, because she's fabulous when she's out of a relationship.

• Love 4

So, Edgehill is no more.  And, now Luke is going to start his own label, and already has Will on board.  That should be fun.  Actually didn't predict he'd dick Jeff over like he did.  But, that Jeff.  He's like a cockroach.  He's now found himself Layla's new manager.  But, I have to think Rayna won't be happy about that.  Not in the slightest.  I'm glad Layla got signed by her, so I hope this doesn't end blowing back up in her face.

Rayna helping Sadie was great; as was her telling the ex off.  But, yeah, I think they're setting things up for the ex to be big trouble.  As in, violent trouble.  He's already got Avery and now Rayna, on his personal shit list.  I'm sure there is time to add a few more. Just got that feeling he is going to be very, very bad news.

Deacon gets an offer to do a trial, but it would kick him off the donor's list, so he goes through a big of a dick phase with Avery.  But, he realizes he was wrong and apologizes, so I guess that' good.  Oh, and decides to just stick with the donor's list, which I suspect will end up being the right call in the end.  It seems the biggest movement was actually for Scarlett, who is now going to start seeing the doc.

Juliette is still mainly stuck with typical pregnancy plots, but this one was at least a bit more interesting compared to the norm.  And, as usual, Avery/Juliette are awesome.

Interesting seeing Rayna and Bucky at odds.  It got heated, but I like that there still seems to be trust there.  I always liked those types of relationships on this show: those two, Juliette/Glenn (well... that did get very bad several times), Juliette/Emily, etc.

Christ, Teddy.  Never stop being a moron.  I'm pretty sure Jeff was playing him.  Now, I have to think he will get exposed.  Somewhere, Coleman is laughing.

It now feels like they aren't sure what to do with Gunnar, outside of him moping around Will or helping Scarlett.

• Love 2

So I guess we now know that the season finale will be Sadie's ex pulling a Moldavian Massacre and we will have to wait till next season to see who survives.  Let's see, he has a beef so far w/ Sadie, Avery, and now Rayna.  Who know how many others will be added to the list in the coming weeks.

Yup, my first thought.  That little conversation Rayna had with him felt like confirmation on how Deacon will get his liver.  And I'm going to be pissed if it's Avery.  Averyette is the best thing about this show.  

Edited by bluebonnet
  • Love 3

God Jeff is like a cockroach, he will never be destroyed.

Avery/Juliet continue to be the cutest ever. Avery`s last song with Scarlet and Gunnar was great as well.  

I actually...like Layla these days? I appreciate how hard she`s working to get her career moving again, and she actually does have some talent. Getting into Rayna`s label was a great call. Luke really should have come with her. At this point, I feel like Luke just needs to risk being honest with people. I know its easier said than done, but it seems like its going to happen eventually, and if freaking JEFF if your best hope, you know your screwed. 

I could watch Luke dumping Jeff`s ass as dead weight again on a loop. 

• Love 5

When Will's sex life gets exposed you just know that Luke Wheeler will dump his ass in the blink of an eye and Rayna will be there to pick up the pieces and show the world how anti-gay Luke Wheeler is and what a saint she is.  She cares about the artists after all...hell when was the last time Rayna has checked up on Juliette?  I would think she would want to throw a baby shower for Juliette...er...I mean the publicity angle for Highway 65 Records.

I'm glad Layla got signed by her, so I hope this doesn't end blowing back up in her face.

There is no way that having Jeff as a manager won't blow up in Layla and Rayna's face. I'm guessing Jeff is going to be very hands on w/ his only cash cow in the barn. I can just imaging him being up Rayna's ass about how they aren't doing enough to promote his star, she isn't getting the attention she rightly deserves, he needs a personal office at the company, etc...

Edited by CMH1981
  • Love 2

I do ship Rayna and Sadie a little.

Layla sleeping on the couch waiting to see Rayna was one of my favorite scenes. And I NEVER thought I'd type the words "favorite and Layla" in a sentence.

I ship them too.

I never thought I would have any kind words for Layla EVER, but dammit, show! My frozen heart is starting to thaw towards her. It helps that she can sing. She'll have to drop that woman-hating zero of a manager though.

I laughed my ass off when Luke fired Jeff. And then rewound it so I could watch it again. Sure did.

Glad to see Emily.

WTF Teddy? What the hell are you thinking, man? First he sent the police chief after Jeff to "check on his wellbeing?" Then he barges in on the prostitute, who for all we know, could have been working at home that night. And of course she's under surveillance. Remember in S1, when Teddy was all about redeeming the Conrad name? Well, how the hell is that going for you, dude?

I love me some Mama Bear Rayna. But I fear poor Sadie was right. Pete ain't gone stop just because he got a settlement.

Avery and Juliette made a tear (or two) come to my eye tonight. I'm not even going to lie. I'm probably going to cry when they have that baby. Lord, help me.

Edited by Soup333
  • Love 4

Why is Jeff hanging at Layla's house? Doesn't he have a mansion? I'm baffled that Layla is even associating with him, given that he almost caused her death. I'm glad she's doing her own music, but I'd rather Rayna rescind the offer than watch Jeff and Rayna fight over Layla's career.

• Love 7

^^Yeah, I didn't like Jeff being in Avery and Scarlett's old house. I mean, the Gunnar/Scarlett house - the Gunnar/Will - the Will/Layla...Layla's house.

Their "relationship" disgusts me. I mean, I'm really, really disturbed by it. Where the hell are Layla's parents. I know they wrote her off when she married Will, but she almost DIED. Somebody rescue this child.

• Love 4

These storylines with Teddy and Jeff are so dumb. They defy logic and normal human behavior. How is Teddy running a city? Why does Layla keep going back to Jeff? The only believable thing was soulless, fame-whore Luke firing Jeff.

Finally Rayna is doing some recruiting. Interesting that she and Bucky aren't on the same page. I'd like to see Rayna as a kickass music mogul, but she's been such a lousy businessperson so far, that even though I agree with her, I side with Bucky.

Deacon wasn't hearing Avery, but he had a point. You don't hire someone like Deacon to be a cog in a wheel. You hire him for his talent and experience. Boxing him in is a waste. It's also kind of insulting.

Scarlet/Avery/Gunnar were fantastic!

This episode was good, but wow. There are way too many characters. I need a good shoot-out to cut it down.

• Love 3

Oh, hell...I want Layla to win. They brought her on as a narcissistic, self-absorbed character, but she has actually grown to be someone whose story intrigues me. I think Jeff will be her downfall, but considering the mess she and Will made of things, she deserves a second chance to live her dream.

Actually glad not to have the "Maddie hour" once again.

The way Teddy jumps from woman to woman, for a second there, I thought he was going to ask the pro to marry him to cover up their dalliance.

Edited by Sims Addict
  • Love 2

Why can't Jeff be gone? I don't understand the show's fascination with him, dump him already, I'm sick of him. And Will, you're a moron. This is the 2nd time you've picked Jeff over Rayna, even knowing that's he's an asshole. Now you get to be stuck with Luke & worry about him finding out you're gay. 

This had better be the last we hear of Sadie's husband, I'm sick of him too.

Who was that recording Teddy at the hooker's house?

Why is Jeff hanging at Layla's house? Doesn't he have a mansion? I'm baffled that Layla is even associating with him, given that he almost caused her death. I'm glad she's doing her own music, but I'd rather Rayna rescind the offer than watch Jeff and Rayna fight over Layla's career.

Totally agree. Layla really is as dumb as her reality show made her seem.

Edited by GaT
  • Love 3

Who was that recording Teddy at the hooker's house?

It was the police - I'm not sure if it was local or the Feds. I'm guessing local, though, since they immediately recognized Teddy. That dude is as dumb as a box of rocks.

Edited by mrsbagnet
  • Love 4

I kind of liked Will's opening song.   But I still don't like Will.  His never-ending melodrama is wearing thin, and his deciding to join Luke at his new label is only going to make it even more pathetic.

I like Bucky.

I want some happy for Deacon, and it looks as if it might happen next week, but the writers will most likely not let it last very long.   It never does for dear Deacon.

Please, Sadie, go away.  You take up valuable screen time from the more interesting characters.

Luke is a jerk, but his bitterness toward Rayna is understandable.   She did play him for way too long, and dumping him in the midst of the preparations for their big media wedding was a huge humiliation for a man who is so publicity-driven.   With his new label, he's going to be an interesting adversary for Rayna.  I loved that he duped and dumped Jeff.   Ha.   The only person in that whole over-populated cast who is more unlikable than Luke is Jeff, so there is some poetic justice there.

Oh, please, Gunnar.  Get over it.   When Gunnar walked in on Scarlett while she was crying, the contrast between their respective despair was obvious.   Scarlett's grief is heartbreaking and immediate.   Gunnar's seems more self-indulgent and irrational.

It was great seeing Gunnar and Scarlett singing together again.  And with Avery!   Pure joy.

Jonathon Jackson is adorable. 

I'm glad Rayna is taking on Layla, and I hope she dumps Jeff and becomes a big star for Rayna's label.    Layla has gone through a trial by fire and has emerged a more mature, sympathetic character.   

Scarlett and the doctor.  Yes, yes, yes.   I like that she's not shy about approaching him, and she has a cute, non-aggressive way of doing it.

Oh, Teddy, you really blew it.   Stupid is as stupid does.

And as usual,  Avery and Juliette made me go all soft around the edges.   Love them.  Their happiness is a nice little oasis in all the gloomy drama of this show.  

• Love 5

Seeing Rayna go all Tami Taylor for the second week in a row was awesome. I am so glad that both she and Avery told Sadie not to be ashamed or mad at herself. The last thing I want to see is any victim blaming so it was nice to see both of them reassure Sadie that the only one who should be sorry or ashamed is her asshole ex-husband.

I was actually very surprised that he signed the settlement. I thought he would let her twist in the wind some more. He obviously enjoyed seeing how upset she was. Then I thought that his next move will probably be to kill her so spike her album sales so he can make even more money from her.

Jeff is like a untrained dog, you bring him into your house, he'll mess up the carpet.

Heh, it's true. Even if you just let him out in the yard, he will run back into the house and pee on the carpet then track his muddy pawprints everywhere.

How exactly does Scarlet do those elaborate braided do's behind her head all by herself???

I like to imagine Deacon sitting on the sofa braiding her hair.

Yay for another Scarlett/Gunnar/Avery song (even if their last minute gig at the Bluebird seemed a little unbelievable). I also liked Will's song at the radio station. I hope that Will finds out that Jeff is no longer with Luke's label before actually signing his contract.

I am fine with Layla joining Highway 65 but ugh, more Jeff. When he asked why he was still in Nashville, I thought FINALLY I will be rid of this cockroach but no, now he's sticking around to be her manager. Nooooooo!

• Love 4

I liked this episode. It was obviously a filler, but it wasn't painstaking to watch as so many of the fillers have been recently.

Scarlett and Gunnar were the weakest links for me here. Her impending affair with the doctor? No thank you. Gunnar's threatening to move? Meh.

Nothing made me happier than seeing Teddy fumble around like a paranoid nitwit while the Feds or whoever listened outside. Finally, FINALLY he is going down. And what he said to Jeff made my stomach turn... "I kept my end of the bargain."

So basically your self proclaimed daughter is nothing but a bargaining tool to you?

Also, I'm clearly the minority and I feel like I'm slipping away from sanity at an absurd rate of speed but I'm not hating this Jeff/Layla union as much as I should.

• Love 2

I'll give Layla (and the actress who plays her) credit for having consistently good hair.  Not extravagant or overly done, but it looks age appropriate, healthy and shiny.

Jeff is always a heartbeat away from twirling that moustache and I don't mind him that way.  I do mind him in that beanie - yikes!  He's way too old for that

Did not see Luke dumping Jeff so fast - kinda awesome.  But I still have no sympathy for Luke and would prefer him to go on tour forever and ever..

Scarlett is always my least favorite character and setting her up in the inevitable Doc-Gunnar triangle might as well be in neon.  Show does not do subtle.

I was surprised Avery was playing with Gunnar and Scarlett when he's clearly logging long hours at Hwy 65 given he has a pregnant wife at home.  But I'd say Avery needed a little time to himself.

I am liking this version of Rayna so much more.

• Love 4

I think if any show were to have the hurtin' song version of the Moldavian Massacre ( CMH1981), it would be this one.

I was actually very surprised that he signed the settlement. I thought he would let her twist in the wind some more. He obviously enjoyed seeing how upset she was. Then I thought that his next move will probably be to kill her so spike her album sales so he can make even more money from her.

I was actually surprised that Sadie followed through; for a moment there, I thought she looked like she was about to tell the skeezy ex to go piss up a guitar neck.

I like to imagine Deacon sitting on the sofa braiding her hair.

You know that's what's happening.

I love listening to Sam Palladio, Clare Bowen and Jonathan Jackson harmonize. I could listen to Gunnar, Scarlett and Avery sing pretty songs for a whole episode. I'm just tired of listening to Gunnar whine about his brother. Find something better to do with Gunnar, show.

Don't care about Teddy's latest bit of self-destructive foolishness. Will is also being short-sighted (in not trusting Rayna more than Jeff) but at least he can say he didn't have all the facts. If (well, when) he does finally come back to Rayna, I'm not sure she's just going throw open her arms and her doors.

Edited by Sandman

Nashville - the city - must be running itself, because the mayor is an idiot of epic proportions!

Wasn't Teddy born and bred in Nashville? Does he have NO connections? You would think that at the very least, he would have political advisors to help guide his stupid ass through potential political landmines, but apparently, his one and only confidante was Lamar...in retrospect, he probably should have tried harder to save him.

So Teddy with a long family history in this city doesn't have a personal assistant/buddy/frat brother/distant cousin who can clean up these little messes? Who goes to a call-girls home to discuss "getting their stories straight"?

The only person who needs a keeper more than Teddy, is Will. Poor, poor, pretty, stupid Will. Trusting Jeff is such a bad move (though I think Jeff was employing a little blackmail, there), and I don't doubt that "Wheels Up" will dump him as soon as his personal life becomes a liability. We see how fast he dumped Jeff. Luke doesn't have the temperament for nurturing and protecting. Does Will have a manager?

Gunnar, cheer the fuck up.

Glad Deacon apologized to Avery; glad Avery accepted said apology like a professional. Now let's make some music, boys. Javery isn't my particular "ship", but the scenes are cute and heartwarming. That said, I'd rather see both of them in the studio or on stage than hanging around the house. Can't wait to see Juliet perform again.

I like the doctor, but I came to this show because of the pretty Scarlett/Gunnar duets, and I don't need their pairing to be delayed any longer than it already has. Also it seems like a bit of a conflict of interest for Deacon's oncologist to be dating Deacon's niece.

BTW, middle-aged hooking in Nashville must be lucrative, because Teddy's friend lives in a very nice house.

• Love 5

I'll give Layla (and the actress who plays her) credit for having consistently good hair.  Not extravagant or overly done, but it looks age appropriate, healthy and shiny.

I'll second the good hair comment.  Scarlet has taken hair to Princess Leia levels of redonkulous braids.  Though I would give the hair and make up people props if Scarlet has cinnamon bun braids one week. 

Loved Avery and Juilette.  I think it's strange that there have been NO scenes with Rayna and Juilette.  It would be nice to see some of Juilette's fears about  motherhood when she's never really had a stable mother figure in her life.  Love GAS/SAG (GunnarAveryScarlet/ScarletAveryGunnar) singing together.  Their voices (especially Gunnar and AVery's) really blend well together.  I'm glad Avery is getting props for his skills but I have to wonder when he and Gunnar will get tired of never being in front of the mic and not just producing and writing for other artists.

Who was the second guy making the pitch to Will?  The one saying he was selling to Teenage girls and their moms?  I can't find his name in the credits and it's driving me crazy.  I know who he is....I just don't know. 

I kind of like Layla too.  She's entitled to some bad relationships.  Get it out of your system now and not when you are 40 (side eye Rayna).

• Love 6

Emily gets the patented Juliette Barnes glare = just another day at the office.

SAG did an open mike that night, that's how they were able to perform so quickly.

Trouble is brewing in the Bucky/Rayna relationship. 

Edited by Soup333
  • Love 1

I thought that was a pretty funny moment, actually:

Label Guy: We have a great demographic for you: Teenage girls and their moms!

Will's Face: Yikes.

I hope you're wrong about trouble for Bucky and Rayna, Soup333, but there's surely a reason for the quick succession of "Hey, wanna be my A&R guy?" / "Of course I trust you!" / "We're not doing that!" It'd be nice if ethical, functioning adults could have a disagreement that for once didn't end in infidelity, car crashes or jail, but I don't think the show wants to play that.

• Love 2

What a weird episode. I felt like I was watching two or three different shows.

Mama Hair Takes Nashville

The dissolution of Edgehill was a surprise but it was also a welcome shot of energy into the show, right where it needed it - the music backdrop. And seeing Rayna fight for her vision of Edgehill -- welcome back girl, didn't much like PodRayna who seemed to let things happen to her. I thought the conflict with Bucky was realistic and not fatal; they're changing their roles and they'll have to adjust, but they have a long history so I think they'll be fine. Whatever, Luke and "Wheels Whatever" -- your label will always be I Hate Rayna to me. And yeah, Will is about to find himself without a label. Again. I hate when Will gets that trapped look in his eyes. Bad decision sure to follow. Energy level of storyline: crackling.

Jeff and Layla's Revolting Romance

What the hell is a grown-ass man doing sitting in his drawers in Layla's apartment? He has a freaking mansion. Did the bank foreclose right after it was announced he was fired? And are they back to having sex? LAYLA?!@!  Her dialogue recognizes the fucked-upness of the situation, and yet she still "believes" in him? Here's the thing, Layla. He'll be your manager and needle Rayna juuust until bigger fish to fry comes along. Christina Aguilera's character, perhaps? Energy level of storyline: Sluggish.

How to Fail in Everything without Really Trying

I don't know why Teddy is the designated stumble-bum on this show, but damn this is getting painful. I don't understand at all why he ever reached out to Jeff, Rayna already put a spike in him. And now this bit with the hooker...IIRC isn't that the shadow his family was under, that his father the Senator had a hooker scandal? Energy level of storyline: needlescratch.

Everything else: Deacon, Scarlett, Avery the Producer, Sadie

Filler. Deacon learns a lesson, Scarlett "flirts", Avery is Awesome but Must prove Himself, Sadie zzzzz. Energy level: NA

Juliette:

Is Juliette on bed rest? She never leaves the house. Comic relief, and filler but gets a pass because she's Juliette. Energy level: Sitcom laughs.

I see you promo monkeys: next week's "reunion" with Deacon is going to be about Rayna's Opry anniversary, not a romantic rekindling.

But overall I do feel like the tone of the show is getting back to its season 1 roots, which amen for that.

• Love 6
The only person who needs a keeper more than Teddy, is Will. Poor, poor, pretty, stupid Will. Trusting Jeff is such a bad move (though I think Jeff was employing a little blackmail, there), and I don't doubt that "Wheels Up" will dump him as soon as his personal life becomes a liability. We see how fast he dumped Jeff. Luke doesn't have the temperament for nurturing and protecting. Does Will have a manager?

It does not seem like Will has a manager.  If he did, his manager would have been with him during his meetings with the other recording companies.

And Will did not sign a contract with Luke.  He just gave a "yay" over the phone.  In the real world, he would be able to change his mind up until he signed a contract.  So he could still go with Rayna once he finds out Luke fired Jeff.  But this is Nashville, so I guess that won't happen.

I wish they had better story lines for Teddy.  I will be fast-forwarding through this one because it's really dumb and bores me. 

• Love 3

Okay wow this episode was kind of a mess. Not like a horrible episode just all over the place. I don't even know where to start.

The best part of the episode was Avery and it devolved from there.

I'm not sure I really care about Luke's new company. I mean Luke seems like a savvy businessman I'm just not sure I really care what goes on with it. So a little hard getting invested in that. Also the name is ridiculous. Does anyone else think that Luke's feelings for Rayna only seemed real after they broke up?

I felt bad for Will I feel like the only reason he signed with Luke is because Jeff knew about his secret. I wonder who on the show is going out him. I feel like it will be Jeff but I would like to give him the benefit of the doubt...not sure why he doesn't deserve it.

I don't know how I feel about Layla signing with Highway 65. I honestly just don't care about her and her character. She either annoys me or I just don't care those are always my feelings about her. I think the show is making a big mistake focusing too much on her because she's really just not that interesting and she is soooo annoying. I'm not even going to talk about her relationship with Jeff because it's just cringe worthy for some reason. Who asks someone who just lost their job and life...where this relationship is going?

Jeff really got what he has coming to him. First I thought he was unnecessarily nasty to Teddy. Quite frankly Teddy and Jeff as friends is the one relationship I bought. Also it's nice to see that he still blaming everyone for being fired except himself. He still doesn't see what he did was wrong. The fact that Luke just turned around and screwed him over shows me that these two are birds of a feather. Also agreeing to manage someone when you're sleeping with them...this is going to be a huge disaster!!! I would not trust Layla with my future...something about her is off.

Teddy and the prostitute why is this plot still going on????

I wish Rayna would listen more to Bucky on Highway 65 business. Everything he says makes sense and she always just does what she wants to do. Does anyone think Jeff representing Layla will lead to him working for Highway 65?

All the stuff with Deacon just seemed thrown in...

Overall though there's just a bunch of storylines I just don't care about right now. 

• Love 2

When I saw Natasha's house, I was just waiting for her husband and/or kids to come in asking who was at the door, and for Teddy to realize she was a soccer mom who did hooking for extra spending money. I'm rather disappointed that it didn't turn out that way. Now her nice big West End house will just be a mystery.

And once again, we had a build-up for half a season for a plot that Rayna Tami Taylor James fixed in 3 minutes. Unless Pete is going to come back and start killing people, what exactly was the point?

Edited by Abstract
  • Love 4

It was the police - I'm not sure if it was local or the Feds. I'm guessing local, though, since they immediately recognized Teddy. 

On IMDB, actor John Crosby is credited as "FBI Agent".  Now what the FBI is doing bugging the house of a high-priced hooker boggles the imagination.

• Love 1

On IMDB, actor John Crosby is credited as "FBI Agent".  Now what the FBI is doing bugging the house of a high-priced hooker boggles the imagination.

I would expect the FBI would be interested in what high profile, elected officials are using her services, and could potentially be blackmailed.  In other words, they are there to get Teddy!  And other, um, movers and shakers of Nashville, maybe some judges?

I don't know.  I normally wouldn't expect the FBI to be interested in a Nashville hooker, but this is tv.

• Love 2

There may be more to the Nashville hooker than just hooking. That house was awfully big to have been purchased with even high-priced call girl wages. Maybe it has something to do with the drugs and ties back into Jeff and Layla?

• Love 1

Poor, poor Will. When Will is inevitably outed (or comes out, I hope), Luke is going to punt him to the curb so hard. Absolutely no way he backs him up. And you know, I don't blame Will for sticking with Jeff and Luke, really. As far as he's concerned, these are the guys who made him famous. Jeff has been an evil prick to a lot of people but he's kept his promises to Will.

To be honest, I sort of can't wait for Layla to shoot to superstardom right when Will's secret gets spilled and Luke realizes he doesn't know how to run a record label.

• Love 7

And once again, we had a build-up for half a season for a plot that Rayna Tami Taylor James fixed in 3 minutes. Unless Pete is going to come back and start killing people, what exactly was the point?

I agree.

I've enjoyed recent episodes more than the early part of this season but plot lines still run so slooooooowly to the point of utter tedium.

Unfortunately, ignoring all rational thought, I am invested in this show but seriously...Gunnar moping over his non-child and 10 year old betrayal is so boring and has gone on TOO LONG. No one cares. And Will/the gay thing - this story hasn't really moved on since the beginning of season 2.

Teddy is likeable but pathetic and his storylines are ridiculous and insulting to normal intelligence. Is Eric Close tied into a long term contract?

The Deacon/Rayna story is also getting old and drawn out. I don't find it believable that he wouldn't tell anyone about his illness - it's a gratuitous plot device to torture us until the end of season 3 at which point I may not care (I probably will).

I wish the writers could manage multilayered rather than just one dimensional storytelling: I can't see why Rayna can't kick ass at Highway 65 - not that she has shown any business acumen at all, although it's a soap so I am ok with that - at the same time as interacting with people that matter to her. But each character is written to do only one thing at a time.

Generally the writers seem to be able to do discrete elements of the script well, like Rayna dressing down Sadie's ex, but a cohesive whole i.e. storylines which are convincingly resolved and characters who interact with each other to move the plot(s) forward appears to be beyond them.

The lack of Juliet is a massive, gaping void.

• Love 5

At this point i'm ready for Gunnar to move his mopey ass away.  I'm sad that the kid I thought was my son who was really my nephew b/c my first love/girlfriend cheated on me w/ my now deceased troubled brother and now my cheating ex's parents came and took him away from me so I'm thinking of moving to be near him...  Boohoo.... Sob.... Woe is me....

I buy that he's upset about the kid, but now he's tortured that the love of his life cheated on him with his brother?  He didn't show even an ounce of interest in Kylie before she left town.  When he ran into her, it was nothing like what you expect when you see two people who experienced first love with each other.  I'm just not buying it.

I was glad someone was taking care of Scarlett, and Gunnar is not a bad choice. I liked them (and Avery) singing together again. I feel for Deacon and the situation, but Scarlett should have someone she can talk to about his illness. It's kind of awkward that she's dating Deacon's doc.

I find myself resenting Deacon for putting all this pressure on Scarlett.  She bows and scrapes to him, and he is so dismissive of her.  Keeping this secret is killing her.  I find it insulting that the show hasn't had Scarlett even mention the only other blood relative that Deacon has.  At least show Scarlett mentioning Maddie, and Deacon shooting it down.   I'm not suggesting Scarlett should go to Maddie herself, but I think she should go to Rayna.  It will then be Rayna's decision to involve Maddie, or have her tested.

• Love 2

Unfortunately, ignoring all rational thought, I am invested in this show but seriously...Gunnar moping over his non-child and 10 year old betrayal is so boring and has gone on TOO LONG. No one cares. And Will/the gay thing - this story hasn't really moved on since the beginning of season 2.

Teddy is likeable but pathetic and his storylines are ridiculous and insulting to normal intelligence. Is Eric Close tied into a long term contract?

...But each character is written to do only one thing at a time.

Generally the writers seem to be able to do discrete elements of the script well, like Rayna dressing down Sadie's ex, but a cohesive whole i.e. storylines which are convincingly resolved and characters who interact with each other to move the plot(s) forward appears to be beyond them.

Great post. I have zero patience for Mopey Gunnar and his non-kid. Yes, no one cares.

Will is going to come out of the closet at some point, right? How much longer can this story line continue?

Teddy's story line is idiotic. The only mayoral thing he does is sign papers. Now, suddenly, there is a covert operation in Nashville to catch high ranking politicians cavorting with prostitutes. Has this been going on previously or was it set-up to catch Teddy and derail his aspirations for re-election (or something equally ridiculous)? I never thought that I would say this but I think that I prefer Teddy the Embezzler or Teddy who let Lamar die. I hope that Eric Close is well-paid.

There is little in the way of character development for the main group. After all of Scarlett's overwrought drama last season, now she is reduced to reminding Deacon to take his meds and flirting with Dr. Latte. (I do like them together.) Are we done with Jeff? Its bad enough that Luke is still around. One of them has got to go.  

• Love 5