Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E14: Someone Pick Up My Pieces

I'll admit to knowing next to nothing about the music industry, but I would think if firing one exec is enough to cause an entire label to fold, the company had very serious problems to begin with, especially considering they had country's supposed top male star (Luke) and top rising star (Will).  

They did have serious problems to begin with, Jeff the idiot lost the 2 top female stars (Rayna & Juliette) which was a huge financial blow to the company, their estimated profits were way down.

• Love 2

Glenn got Juliet a Vogue photo spread so he is an excellent manager.

Bucky is just there to agree with/be told what to do by Rayna. Although he seems nice. It was hilarious that she told him to go and find new acts for the label without any planning or discussion, and then completely overruled him and signed one act he didn't want to sign and who probably won't make money (although it's Nashville so she will be redeemed and will make money and Rayna will have been right all along!).

I mean, I accept that realistic business dealings won't make good soap, but jeez.

• Love 1

I had to laugh when the guy in the surveillance van said "Is that the mayor?!?"  Oh yeah, I forgot feckless Teddy's supposed to be the mayor of Nashville, Tennessee.

It's a shame, but I thought Juliette's photos were just awful.  Her legs could have been made to look less stumpy, the horizontal white cloth was distracting and unimaginative as a muff cover, and worst, her hair pulled back hard into that tiny tortured offset knot wasn't a good style for the "natural body beautiful" focus. [Yep, I paused and studied them awhile.  I think pregnancy is gorgeous and I used to ask pregnant friends if I could photograph them so I could sculpt a figure.  Everyone thought that was much too creepy and/or they felt ugly.  Bummer.] 

I didn't even hear Gunnar talk about moving to Micahville.  I think I zone out when he's waa-waahing.  Catchy tune with the trio, though!

Also, I'm clearly the minority and I feel like I'm slipping away from sanity at an absurd rate of speed but I'm not hating this Jeff/Layla union as much as I should.

I kind of love them too. They do a good job balancing each other out and making both characters more interesting. I do think Oliver Hudson and Aubrey Peeples have good chemistry and Jeff and Layla are both pretty screwed up people so I get why they're drawn to each other. In addition, that scene of them bonding at the music festival a while back sold me on Jeff caring about her music. 

That being said, if Jeff wasn't smart enough to get a signed contract from Luke he probably isn't smart enough to run a new label. Why he would move forward and do any work for Luke before getting his own ducks in a row makes no sense. Of course, all we've seen of Jeff is him being bad at business so I guess at the very least its in character.

I'm so over Gunnar. I'd rather he just exist in the background, performing at the Bluebird while meetings and drama go on around him. I can't stand that he's moping around his house rather than getting back on his feet and being happy that he still has family. Also, I love that Micah lived there a few months so now he has to move, but he bought the house to live with Zoey and he never once has mentioned missing her while being there. I don't need another character to come back, but I wish Gunnar or Scarlett would acknowledge they missed her while they're both dealing with their huge issues.

• Love 4

So Teddy with a long family history in this city doesn't have a personal assistant/buddy/frat brother/distant cousin who can clean up these little messes? Who goes to a call-girls home to discuss "getting their stories straight"?

Teddy so needs an Eli to run interference for him, or even prevent the stupidity.  It makes no sense.  I have a feeling that the PTB simply have no idea what to do with Teddy.  The cool dad role is just too boring.  "Hey, he's a politician, why don't we make him a corrupt politician and maybe Rayna will be able to save him because she's just that awesome!"  So stupid.  Eric, get out while you can.

• Love 4

That would infuriate me. I suspect that Bucky (or Juliette's manager) may end up being the "victim" of Sadie's crazy ex. 

I don't think Bucky will die, I think that all that fighting with Rayna indicates it won't work out with him in the position

No way would Rayna allow Jeff to become head of A&R at Highway 65. She started it to get away from him, didn't she?

I totally think that is where they are going.   Rayna started H65 to get away Edgehill but they specifically stated in this episode that Edgehill was all about the bottom line now...ie..Jeff was just doing his job.  And they are purposely making Luke look like the bad guy.  Then they had Rayna promote Bucky but clearly he has no idea what type of talent she wants and then they went out of their way to have Jeff send Layla there because he specifically knows what Rayna is looking for.  I think they will team up eventually.

I kind of love them too. They do a good job balancing each other out and making both characters more interesting. I do think Oliver Hudson and Aubrey Peeples have good chemistry and Jeff and Layla are both pretty screwed up people so I get why they're drawn to each other. In addition, that scene of them bonding at the music festival a while back sold me on Jeff caring about her music. 

That being said, if Jeff wasn't smart enough to get a signed contract from Luke he probably isn't smart enough to run a new label. Why he would move forward and do any work for Luke before getting his own ducks in a row makes no sense. Of course, all we've seen of Jeff is him being bad at business so I guess at the very least its in character.

I'm so over Gunnar. I'd rather he just exist in the background, performing at the Bluebird while meetings and drama go on around him. I can't stand that he's moping around his house rather than getting back on his feet and being happy that he still has family. Also, I love that Micah lived there a few months so now he has to move, but he bought the house to live with Zoey and he never once has mentioned missing her while being there. I don't need another character to come back, but I wish Gunnar or Scarlett would acknowledge they missed her while they're both dealing with their huge issues.

I can't stand Layla so her with anyone annoys me.  Just this episode alone she annoyed me several times.  Jeff is her new Will.  She gets in these relationships where she isn't on equal footing.  She expected Will to help with her career and now Jeff is stuck in that position. 

I liked all this music this week, Wills unplugged song on the radio, Layla's song, and most of all SAG's song.

Juliette and Avery are made of win. And Juliette at the photo shoot was vintage Juliette. The photographer "give me a smile", "now sexy" and all she did was glare at him. Loved it.

Scarlet is allowed to have a life, but only on stage with Avery and Gunnar. And likewise Gunnar should only be in scenes on stage with Avery and Scarlet. 

Mama bear Rayna is awesome! It's amazing how great she can be when she's not under Luke's thumb, or all crazy about Deacon.

I personally think Sadie is going to shoot her ex and he will be deacon's donor. At least that's what I hope happens.

Jeff continues to annoy. Are they trying to redeem this character? They did that once before with Layla at the festival, but he went back to evil Jeff with signing Maddie. I don't know what the plans are, but turning him into a "nice guy" is not going to work for me. Too much evil under the bridge.

Luke with is own label. Does that mean he is going to continue to be a regular? Ugh! However, I kind of loved him when he dumped Jeff's ass. He will gain my hate again when he does something awful to Will though. I'm sure that's coming.

Edited by Julie23
  • Love 1
Jeff continues to annoy. Are they trying to redeem this character? They did that once before with Layla at the festival, but he went back to evil Jeff with signing Maddie. I don't know what the plans are, but turning him into a "nice guy" is not going to work for me. Too much evil under the bridge.

If Jeff uses his evil powers for good, I could get behind him.  I wouldn't mind him paired with Rayna at Hwy 65 as I think she needs a numbers guy/girl to watch the bottomline while she "nurtures".

No way would Rayna allow Jeff to become head of A&R at Highway 65. She started it to get away from him, didn't she?

The thing about Jeff is that he's TERRIBLE at his job. As the head of a major label, it was his job to get along with his major artists and he couldn't even do that. It makes sense for him to have friction with someone like Rayna  (maybe not in her element at that point in time) or even a lesser known artist such as Scarlett or Will (maybe conflict as to how they were managed), but he sure as hell should have bent over backwards to suck up to Juliette, who was at her peak and touring sold out venues. Jeff just sucks. There's no way if Rayna values competence she would give him a position at her label. Luke may have been cold but he made the right business decision. He just can't get along with people and that is an issue in a business where there are so many human decisions.

• Love 9

The thing about Jeff is that he's TERRIBLE at his job. As the head of a major label, it was his job to get along with his major artists and he couldn't even do that. It makes sense for him to have friction with someone like Rayna  (maybe not in her element at that point in time) or even a lesser known artist such as Scarlett or Will (maybe conflict as to how they were managed), but he sure as hell should have bent over backwards to suck up to Juliette, who was at her peak and touring sold out venues. Jeff just sucks. There's no way if Rayna values competence she would give him a position at her label. Luke may have been cold but he made the right business decision. He just can't get along with people and that is an issue in a business where there are so many human decisions.

I don't think Rayna's that great at her job.  If this weren't television, H65 would have folded long ago.  Some stuff is coming down the pike for Jeff's character that will give him more of backstory for the way he is...I think they are just trying to even out his character

• Love 1

I thought this was a really good episode.  I enjoyed it so much . . . for the most part.  A few things weren't so good.  Add me to those who find Gunnar's moping a bit unrealistic.  He didn't know Micah all that long to have bonded so deeply with him.  Not that I could see anyway considering that one of the big reasons Zoey left was because she was always having to 'babysit' Micah.  So that plot doesn't ring true for me.  And I can't even with Teddy.  How does this man manage to get himself out of bed in the morning?  The entire thing with him and Jeff and the hooker is just dumb beyond belief.  And now the whole "scandal" thing.  smh

I loved the Deacon/Avery bit.  I also understand the comment someone made about not bringing in someone like Deacon and then not listening to them, but I'm not sure I agree with that.  Avery brought in Deacon because he wanted something specific that he knew Deacon could deliver.  Then Deacon wanted to take things in a different direction.  Maybe if Deacon had first done what Avery asked and then asked if he could try something else to see what Avery thought.  That would have been fine, and I don't think Avery would have had a problem with it.  So I was glad that Deacon apologized and was ready to do what he was needed for and not try to take over.  Those two work well together. 

I also thought the Rayna/Bucky interactions were great.  I don't see their arguments as being a sign that it's not going to work.  Just the opposite.  Bucky started out thinking like Jeff because he was afraid that was necessary to make money.  Rayna had an entirely different vision.  By the time they had their last discussion - where Rayna said she didn't ever want H65 to be like that, Bucky asked if she thought they could make money that way, and Rayna saying she thought they could make a lot of money that way - I think they were both on the same page.  It was the discussion they probably should have had to begin with and would have had had circumstances been different.  I don't think there's any way in hell that Rayna would consider hiring Jeff to work at H65.  Not unless he undergoes some kind of serious change of heart that Rayna believes is sincere.

Luke . . . I don't know what to think about him.  Is he really trying to get over Rayna or is his pride hurt so badly that he can't see straight?  I feel as though he still sees himself as being in competition with her - a competition that I don't think she ever knew they were in.  His sudden decision to start his own record label seems proof of that.  When Rayna was going to do it, he thought it was too risky.  But now I think he just wants to show her up - start a competing label and do better than she does so he can "win."  I don't think he's got the heart or the will to do that; this is a vanity project (in the real sense of the word vanity) for him and nothing more.  As others have mentioned, he'll drop Will like a hot potato as soon as he finds out Will's gay.  At best, he'll insist that Will hide it completely (if it's not public yet).  But he definitely won't be supportive. 

I like that Layla is now with Rayna.  I hated her at the beginning (but then I think we were supposed to), but more than any other character on the show, I think, she has actually grown and changed.  I like her new music, and I like that Rayna was willing to take on a more "difficult" sell.  To me that shows that Rayna is serious about wanting H65 to be a place that nurtures artists.  That's why Will would be a perfect fit there - Rayna would be all "none of your business" regarding Will's sexual orientation and would be willing to weather that storm with him.  And Rayna needs to sign SAG definitely.  And Deacon.

I loved Rayna's take down of Pete, but I really wish she had a smarter lawyer.  If any of them had had a lick of sense, that agreement would have been contingent on Pete leaving Nashville and not calling or contacting Sadie in any way, shape or form.  No showing up at a concert, no nothing.  And if he violated those provisions, the contract would be null and void, and he'd get nothing.  Give him a real incentive to leave Sadie alone.  Rayna's smackdown notwithstanding, Pete is a total sleaze ball, and logic says an arrogant prick like that is not going to be cowed (for long anyway) by Rayna's threats.  She's just a woman, and no woman is going to get the best of Pete.  But I think he's greedier than he is arrogant, and given a monetary incentive to truly forget about Sadie, he'd do it.  Without that, I suspect we haven't seen the last of him yet unfortunately.

Did I mention that Teddy is too stupid to live?

One last comment - for RogerDodger - Jeff's firing isn't what caused Edgehill's demise.  Bucky told Rayna that Benton's advisers had convinced him that the music industry wasn't a viable profit model any longer.  So they decided to close that division instead of hire a new manager and keep it going.

Edited by LadyMustang65
  • Love 4

Then they had Rayna promote Bucky but clearly he has no idea what type of talent she wants and then they went out of their way to have Jeff send Layla there because he specifically knows what Rayna is looking for.

I think Bucky knows exactly what Rayna is looking for, but he also knows what sells and right now it ain't Layla. It may be at some point, but in order for the label to survive they have to have some acts that sell to a decently-sized audience. I think Jeff sent Layla to Rayna because he knew she would take her in - he sees her as a little bit of a sucker I think.

I wouldn't mind him paired with Rayna at Hwy 65 as I think she needs a numbers guy/girl to watch the bottomline while she "nurtures".

And yet Jeff was so miserable at managing the numbers at Edgehill. So miserable in fact that he ran it into the ground. No way in the world would Rayna hire him, particularly after the Maddie fiasco. 

Edited by Clemgo3165
  • Love 4

I don't think Rayna's that great at her job.  If this weren't television, H65 would have folded long ago.  Some stuff is coming down the pike for Jeff's character that will give him more of backstory for the way he is...I think they are just trying to even out his character

Rayna isn't trained to be an executive though. She's an entertainer. She's a fish out of water in the executive world, and learning how to run a label. Running a label is what Jeff DOES. He should know how to do it and how to get along with his employees. He has a narrower latitude for messing up.

Edited by evilmindatwork
  • Love 1

This. I'm baffled by the thought. Why would she do that after what he just tried to do with Maddie? He specifically targeted her weak-willed husband so that he could blackmail him. She knows Layla almost died at his party (even if she doesn't know he gave her the pills) and she knows about his blackmail attempt on Juliette (and I've always been two heartbeats away from considering that assault. Even if she was drunk and "willing," he wasn't drunk and was probably scheming on how he was going to get her back at Edgehill mid-coitus). He intimidated newbie artist Scarlett AND Rayna had her own personal problems with him, including when he sent the sheriff's after her masters. No way would she hire that dude. 

• Love 7

Jeff just sucks. There's no way if Rayna values competence she would give him a position at her label. Luke may have been cold but he made the right business decision.

I don't see what could be in it for Rayna: he's not good at his job, and he was fired for cause -- he's a harassment suit in human form. If he were actually able to bring in money to the label, his power-tripping might have been overlooked by the corporate types, but he lost money, he drove artists away, and he bullied and endangered people. The only kind of A&R he's good at is asshattery and retribution.

• Love 13
I loved the Deacon/Avery bit.  I also understand the comment someone made about not bringing in someone like Deacon and then not listening to them, but I'm not sure I agree with that.  Avery brought in Deacon because he wanted something specific that he knew Deacon could deliver.  Then Deacon wanted to take things in a different direction.  Maybe if Deacon had first done what Avery asked and then asked if he could try something else to see what Avery thought.  That would have been fine, and I don't think Avery would have had a problem with it.  So I was glad that Deacon apologized and was ready to do what he was needed for and not try to take over.  Those two work well together.

That was me. What I was really trying to say (but maybe didn't well) was that, in a creative environment, you don't typically bring in someone like Deacon to do something anyone can do. You bring him in for his expertise. I got the impression that Avery called Deacon because Deacon's the guy he knows. But Deacon is DEACON. He's not a random session musician that you just bring in, tell him what to play, and send him home. He's well known and respected for what he does, and he's got some clout. So if Avery wanted to hire Deacon, he was hiring DEACON, and that means listening to what he has to say, rather than treating him like a work-for-hire. My beef was more that the storyline rang false. I know Deacon agreed immediately to get away from Scarlett's nagging and he likes Avery and loves to play guitar, but a guy like Deacon is someone you invite into the creative process, not dictate to. There are plenty of guitar players you could dictate to, and that's definitely fine. Sometimes you just need one specific thing to fill out your project, and you don't want any additional creative input. But given Deacon's experience and expertise, it feels false to me that anyone would see him as that guy. So for me, that whole thing actually made Avery look like a novice, and I sided with Deacon. It was nice Deacon apologized and backed down, though. I think it showed him to be the kind, accommodating, loyal guy he's always been.

Rayna isn't trained to be an executive though. She's an entertainer. She's a fish out of water in the executive world, and learning how to run a label. Running a label is what Jeff DOES. He should know how to do it and how to get along with his employees. He has a narrower latitude for messing up.

I agree with this 100%. Rayna is very good at what she does...being an entertainer. Running a label is new. I wouldn't expect her to be immediately good at it, and in fact, she's going to be inherently bad at it for awhile because she's coming from the creative/artist perspective. She wants a refuge for musicians first and foremost, not a booming business, which is admirable but somewhat unrealistic. If she has the money to put into that kind of venture, she may be able to make it work in the long term. But in the short term, she's going to be picking up "rejects" like Juliette and Layla or "problems" like Sadie and Scarlett because she's all about nurturing talent and letting people be heard, not about making money. In the short term, someone like Luke would be much better at running a label than Rayna is. That's why Bucky is good for her. He thinks short term, whereas Rayna thinks long term. If they can meet in the middle, they'll be successful. (I'd very much like to see this process, by the way. I suspect the show will just drop it because that's how they do, but I think that working that out could be interesting to watch.) Jeff doesn't seem to think at all. He moves from one loony plot to another. I know Rayna can be dumb about her life, but damn. I hope she's smart enough never to "come around" to Jeff.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 2

I hear what you're saying, Magpie.  I got a different impression of that scene.  I thought Avery had called Deacon not just because he was someone he knew - we know Avery knows other guitar players (he could have called Gunnar if all he wanted was a guitar player or one of the back up folks from SAG) - but because he had something very specific in mind that he thought Deacon would be best able to pull off and that he knew he would be able to describe to Deacon what he wanted and get it without having to do a lot of work to pull it out of him.  And Deacon would normally have done that but he was trying to take his mind off his troubles, so he started going places Avery hadn't intended as an outlet for himself.  I think Deacon also enjoys the production process and got the lines a little blurred.  So I felt like Deacon had overstepped and was glad he realized it, apologized and, because he had made his other decision, was now ready, able and willing to do what was being asked of him in this specific instance.

• Love 6
And yet Jeff was so miserable at managing the numbers at Edgehill. So miserable in fact that he ran it into the ground. No way in the world would Rayna hire him, particularly after the Maddie fiasco. 

Ahhh..I forgot about the Maddie deal.  That makes it one of the worst ideas ever...I say it happens around the begining of next season.

• Love 2

I thought it was a good test for Avery too. How to reign in someone who is way more experienced than you, way more known than you, and a friend that's also older than you. Avery could have/should have been more clear in his expectations at the outset, but other than that I thought he done good. Deacon needed to apologize for walking out and for not listening to the Producer. 

But FWIW, I do agree with you Magpie. Avery probably would have had a better outcome with a collaborative approach with Deacon - given his experience he may well have been able to bring out a totally different sound and should have at least been heard out.

• Love 4

Layla is the best character redemption since season-1-Avery. And her voice is incredible. 

I was totally team Rayna in the bucky-rayna fight. She's totally right! Its about the music and the passion. Cant wait till Juliette is back and Layla starts crushing. 

I really want Scarlett and Gunner together!! Does that doctor guy even music??

• Love 2

Rayna would have to have a lobotomy to even consider working with Jeff, and all braindead activity has been reserved for Teddy. Aside from his long list of misdeeds, malicious acts and misdemeanors, the whole town knows she left Edgehill to get away from his ilk, how would it look if she brought that into her "dream", HWY65?  And frankly this character isn't important enough to the show to go through the narrative gymnastics to even attempt a redemption. And no, I don't consider fucking a vulnerable underage girl-woman a redemption arc. I even think this whole "managing Layla" thing is dumb, like he's going to be satisfied with her piddling 10 or 15% of a new artist's earnings, which often run in the negative dollars.

Oliver Hudson has done his job. Time to move on with different music execs. I liked the one Ming Na played. Obviously she's not available now but how about it show, a female music exec could be interesting. Ultimately though I think the thing with Bucky will settle down. I'm more worried that the actor can handle it. I think that was the most lines he's ever had and he didn't give me a lot of confidence that he can go toe-to-toe with Rayna.

• Love 4
I like to imagine Deacon sitting on the sofa braiding her hair.

ElectricBoogaloo, this comment has made me happy all week. I'm never going to be able to see Scarlet's braided tangle again and NOT think of this!

My one hope still is that Deacon is going to learn that his mama had an affair and he's got a half-brother out there that he knew nothing about. And that long-lost brother is going to be played by Wayne Brady. Please, show, please.

• Love 10
(edited)

My one hope still is that Deacon is going to learn that his mama had an affair and he's got a half-brother out there that he knew nothing about. And that long-lost brother is going to be played by Wayne Brady. Please, show, please.

I want to marry you and have your babies.

ETA: Wasn't Wayne Brady the half brother of Neil Patrick Harris on HIMYM? Precedence.

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 5
(edited)

I was totally team Rayna in the bucky-rayna fight.

Yanno, I read about this epic fight before I watched the episode. Frankly, having been an executive for going on a decade now, it didn't even seem like a fight to me, just 'OK, how do we work together in this new capacity?' I felt that was just a normal collaborative process between intelligent, driven, caring, and passionate people trying to get shit done. I actually found it endearing and truthfully structural.

Even the followup conversation they had about Layla struck me as an adult, hardtruths, necessary, conversation born of great respect and trust.

I hope I'm not reading it wrong and that their relationship goes to hell. :-\

Edited by areca
  • Love 3

I realize that I don't care about any of the romantic relationships on this show.  Juliette has been even more annoying with this pregnancy than she was when she was just a diva music artist.  I'm waiting for Avery to get tired of having to alternate between putting up with her high maintenance attitude and reassuring her about her insecurities.

I was happy to see Scarlett and Gunnar having scenes together again just because I want them to write songs together like they used to.  Too much water under the bridge for them to get back together, but man do I really miss their pretty voices.  I was disappointed when they formed the group with Avery and then seemingly stopped when Avery went back to producing.

Deacon's cancer battle and the Jeff, Rayna, Luke record label fued I think are the most interesting part of the show because I guess it feels more real to me.  Deacon barely holding in his emotions while talking to his daughter was heartbreaking.  I miss this show actually being about the music.

• Love 2

Actually, I only found Jeff/Layla and Luke to be interesting.  I don't like Luke - but I want to see what he does.  Unlike most of the other characters - who only bore me.  

Rayna's love and longing for Deacon is so palpable, so incredible .... NOT!  

Now the question is who bores me the most?  Gunnar wins that dishonor.

Hoping this show picks up in speed.  

I thought this was another good week for the show. I didn't think Rayna and Bucky were fighting either; they have to figure things out and they balance each other out. I don't imagine Rayna will be too happy to find out Jeff is now Layla's manager. And I can't figure out what Jeff is doing with Layla, and agree he won't be happy just being her manager.

I am still waiting for some of the beautiful duets between Gunnar and Scarlett to start up again. I love their voices together. 

Every time they showed the recording studio with Sadie and Avery I was expecting her Ex to come in shooting and possibly kill Avery. I sure hope they don't go there. Curiously, some of my friends think there is something shady about Sadie.

And, Teddy and his homely hooker girlfriend will hopefully get arrested in some kind of FBI thing. I used to think he was a caring dad, but he is just stupid and gets used by everybody.

I'm perilously close to hate watching this show.

I hope Gunnar is a postmortem match for Deacon's liver. He's such a sad sack, constantly whining about some chick he hadn't seen in years cheating on him with his brother years ago. *eye roll* Not to mention he's a selfish dickhead. How about asking other people what's up with them first before complaining about your dumbass problems once in awhile? I'm over him and not even the band GAS/SAG can redeem him.

I actually like Jeff and Layla together. They have good chemistry. Although, Oliver has good chemistry with pretty much everyone. I'm kind of excited to see Jeff and Rayna butt heads over Layla.

I want to love Will. The dimples. The guitar. The dimples. He's just so uninteresting right now. I think he is going to regret going with Luke's label. At least he seems to have stopped making out with randos. I hope he finally meets some nice man and falls in love. No way he can come out under Luke's thumb, though. Maybe he'll wind up at HW65 eventually?

Still can't stand Luke. Yes, the man can sing. He's just so oily. I'm not buying any of his remorse, or supposed "good guy" side. He's a jackass plain and simple. Can he please go be a jackass somewhere else?

Sadie. Girlfriend looks rode hard. I also don't care about her problems. May she off her ex and go spend some time behind bars. Off screen.

Teddy is so dumb. He just brings the lol's. Maybe he can get caught in the crossfire when Sadie starts shooting up the place. Hey, it happened to his crazy wife... it can happen again.

I hate the cancer storyline with the power of a thousand suns. It just goes to show how crappy the writing on this show is that they had to resort to this plot device to get Rayna and Deacon together finally. I guess I should just be happy they didn't give Maddie cancer. Chip is bringing it in his scenes. though.

Scarlet continues to be annoying. I hate her dancing. WTF is that? I hate her mumble-y accent. I fucking hate her homeless grandma clothes and Extensions by Claire's. I normally love her singing (if I close my eyes when she "dances"), but I didn't even dig it this episode. I did think she was excellent in that scene in the writing room. I enjoy her scenes with Deacon (but that's probably because of him more than her.) She is kind of cute with the doctor. I just hope that poor guy knows what he is getting into. And that he is prepared and willing to buy her a new wardrobe. STAT.

Rayna was the least annoying she has been in forever. I saw shades of Season 1 Rayna. I hope she sticks around.

I still love all that is Avery and Juliette. I can't wait for that baby to get here. I repeat my plea to the writers: Do not mess them up. Please!

• Love 2

ReadingZombie -- Loved your comments, here are some of mine.

1 - Gunnar - Hadn't seen old girlfriend in years, lied to him about the kid, it's about time you let it go and bury it deep.

2 -- Layla   -  When is she going to realize Jeff is using her again, this time to get him a job.

3 -- Will      -  He's going to be thrown under the bus, those big tour buses when Luke finds out he's guy.

4 -- Sadie   -  She did buy a gun so I'm going out on a limb here and say she' going to shoot and kill her ex or someone else.

5 -- Teddy   -  The series made him out to be the only normal parent who was the stable one but he almost threw the daughter he says he loves under a bus to save his own ass. He's weak we all saw that starting from season #1. There was no chemistry not a single bit when he was married to Rayna.

6 -- Scarlett -  I love Scarlett, she is so frightened of loosing the only father figure she has ever had. Give her a little more money for better hair extension series please.

7 -- Rayna - Finally coming out of that fog the series put her in and now (I hope) we are getting back season #1 Rayna.

8 -- Deacon - I love the guy, if Rayna doesn't want him I'm sure there are a whole lot of women who would jump at the chance to take care of him and me being one of them.  Hate also that they had to resort in giving him a life threatening disease but Chip is blowing away those dramatic scenes.

9 -- Juliette/Avery - The bantering back and forth makes them the bright spot in an episode. "Do not mess them up. Please) I second that.

10-- Luke - I have no words for him well maybe just one. Go on a year long tour, never come back.

• Love 3

Ugh, yes... Scarlett's weird hip-swivel dancing.  Not really in character for someone paralyzed by stage fright last season, though neither is getting on a stage to relax and have fun, either.  

I think most men would feel relief that their loser ex didn't dump their actual kid on them.  And really who cares who your ex girlfriend from your teen years slept with, ten years later?  

I kind of balk at the idea that a doctor that young and hot would really have no social life and would have to stoop to dating his patient's family member.  

Reading Zombie...ohhh I want to play, here are my comments

Gunnar:  This guy has gotten soooo pathetic...when he burned his families' pictures and made that comment he used to see smiling faces but all he saw were lies...I officially wrote him and this wreck of a storyline off.

Avery and Juliette:  Still the best part of show, need to see more of them and less of everyone else.

Luke:  Ugghh.  Agree with whoever said that the more they show of Luke the less I like him.  He has the depth of a cookie sheet.  Plus, I still hate for that song he wrote about Rayna "Good Woman"...that he thought was complimentary and wasn't.

Layla:  Is every annoying television, movie, book character, witness on Law and Order Special Victim's unit rolled into one.  She literally cannot go one minute on the screen without whining about something or someone. 

Teddy:  Poor Teddy, what he always this stupid?

Will:  Is like an after school (the groundhog's day version)

Rayna:  Season 1 Rayna is finally back and I am glad to see her and her big hair

Zoe: LOL Just kidding, glad she's gone

Sadie:  Lifetime Original Movie

Deacon:  I mean I love Deacon even though he needed to tell Rayna that he was sick two episodes ago

Scarlett:  Extreme makeover but actually really loving her this season. 

Jeff:  Ugghh why are you living Layla's, what happened to your mansion???  Why do you keep agreeing to meet Teddy?

• Love 5

I assumed that Jeff's mansion belonged to the label. Didn't he just pick up and leave LA when he came in to replace Marshall? (Y'all remember Marshall...season 1...awww, the good old days...). That said, surely he got some sort of severance package that would 1) allow him to move into his own place and 2) buy a better looking hat. It has only been three days in screen time. Maybe he and Layla will move to grander digs next episode.

That said, I like Layla's house, it just seemed much happier when Scarlett lived there.

• Love 3

I miss Marshall! Back then the conflicts with the label were music- and direction-based, not...hookers. It was a simpler time...

I will say it again and again bring back the Season #1 writers. Someone has strayed so far off course then what this series was to be about maybe Rayna should hire Marshall to get her label successful. Now we are going to be involved in a sting operation on who's paying a hooker for services and the first one to be filmed is our Mayor Teddy Conrad. I want that little video to be leaked to the media and press. I want Teddy finally getting nailed for all the things he has done over the years. (Mean, yes I know)

• Love 2

I will say it again and again bring back the Season #1 writers. Someone has strayed so far off course then what this series was to be about maybe Rayna should hire Marshall to get her label successful. Now we are going to be involved in a sting operation on who's paying a hooker for services and the first one to be filmed is our Mayor Teddy Conrad. I want that little video to be leaked to the media and press. I want Teddy finally getting nailed for all the things he has done over the years. (Mean, yes I know)

The only reason I didn't include Teddy in my list of expendable characters are his daughters. Maddie and Daphne have already lost their grandfather and step-mother (even if they were lukewarm about the marriage). They almost lost their mother, an aunt they were very close to moved and the Ruke wedding fell through just as they were seeming to warm up to it and the idea of new step-siblings. And now Deacon is sick and may die. That's a lot. For their sake, (I'm rolling my eyes as I type this) I spared Teddy from the list.   

• Love 1

I assumed that Jeff's mansion belonged to the label. Didn't he just pick up and leave LA when he came in to replace Marshall? (Y'all remember Marshall...season 1...awww, the good old days...). That said, surely he got some sort of severance package that would 1) allow him to move into his own place and 2) buy a better looking hat. It has only been three days in screen time. Maybe he and Layla will move to grander digs next episode.

That said, I like Layla's house, it just seemed much happier when Scarlett lived there.

LOL buy a better looking hat.  There is no way the label took his house in 24 hours even if they provided it. He would still need to move out.

Soup333 - I understand the girls have been through a lot but that doesn't make it right for Teddy to get away with all the things he did. He needs to be held accountable for all the bad things he has done. Remember, Teddy is an embezzler, a man who made by choice to let Lamar die right in front of him without any guilt, a man who had an affair while married (because he was unhappy, a better choice would be to ask for a legal separation first)(Rayna never cheated on him with Deacon even though she wanted too) and the most unspeakable thing was forcing Rayna to promise never to tell Deacon he has a daughter. I know she agreed to it but it did way on her for all 13 yrs that's why she kept him in her band to make sure Deacon saw Maddie grow up when she took the girls on tour. EXPENDABLE (considered to be not worth keeping or maintaining) isn't he the parent who almost threw Maddie under the bus to save his ass because he was being blackmailed. They were never into the RUKE wedding they only went with it because they thought it made their mother happy. Tandy never gave Rayna any good advice she was another one who said you can never tell Deacon about Maddie that to me is so wrong on so many levels. Kids hold up a whole lot better then we give them credit for especially when you explain to them what's happening and tell them the truth.   Oh, by the way Deacon isn't going to die, I think we all know that as viewers. Sorry, on a war path especially when it comes to holding people accountable for their mistakes.

• Love 3

Scarlet continues to be annoying. I hate her dancing. WTF is that? I hate her mumble-y accent. I fucking hate her homeless grandma clothes and Extensions by Claire's. I normally love her singing (if I close my eyes when she "dances"), but I didn't even dig it this episode. I did think she was excellent in that scene in the writing room. I enjoy her scenes with Deacon (but that's probably because of him more than her.) She is kind of cute with the doctor. I just hope that poor guy knows what he is getting into. And that he is prepared and willing to buy her a new wardrobe. STAT.

I think Scarlett has always danced that way with upbeat songs.  In season one she filled in for Avery with his band, and she was great - even with the awkward dancing.  I also like her with the doctor.  Opposites attract, so she can help him relax a little, and maybe he can help her move beyond the bohemian look, and bring her out of the clouds a little.

I think CB deserves credit for the Scarlett/Deacon magic.  It's more than just CE's charm, in my opinion.

There is something I like between these two.  When he rejected her and gave her the pills, I think it bothered him to hurt her like that.  He's drawn to her, and right now he's treating her a lot better than most people in her life.  He believes in her, and she's willing to take a chance with him.

I'm looking forward to him clashing with Rayna.  They have great chemistry.  I loved when she charged into his home, and he was in the pool making out with some woman.  Both Rayna and Jeff were totally shameless in that scene.

Luke with is own label. Does that mean he is going to continue to be a regular? Ugh! However, I kind of loved him when he dumped Jeff's ass. He will gain my hate again when he does something awful to Will though. I'm sure that's coming.

I'm fine with Luke staying on the show.  Every show needs at least one antagonist, and his personal history with Rayna makes the competing labels more interesting.

• Love 2

Soup333 - I understand the girls have been through a lot but that doesn't make it right for Teddy to get away with all the things he did. He needs to be held accountable for all the bad things he has done. Remember, Teddy is an embezzler, a man who made by choice to let Lamar die right in front of him without any guilt, a man who had an affair while married (because he was unhappy, a better choice would be to ask for a legal separation first)(Rayna never cheated on him with Deacon even though she wanted too) and the most unspeakable thing was forcing Rayna to promise never to tell Deacon he has a daughter. I know she agreed to it but it did way on her for all 13 yrs that's why she kept him in her band to make sure Deacon saw Maddie grow up when she took the girls on tour. EXPENDABLE (considered to be not worth keeping or maintaining) isn't he the parent who almost threw Maddie under the bus to save his ass because he was being blackmailed. They were never into the RUKE wedding they only went with it because they thought it made their mother happy. Tandy never gave Rayna any good advice she was another one who said you can never tell Deacon about Maddie that to me is so wrong on so many levels. Kids hold up a whole lot better then we give them credit for especially when you explain to them what's happening and tell them the truth.   Oh, by the way Deacon isn't going to die, I think we all know that as viewers. Sorry, on a war path especially when it comes to holding people accountable for their mistakes.

Sutton, I agree that Teddy should pay for his actions. I'm just saying that for the girls - they don't know about Aunt Tandy's advice and they don't know anything about their father's transgressions (with the exception of PBP). Of course we know that he's not going to die, but again, from their point of view, he might actually die from the cancer.  

(edited)

But Deacon is DEACON. He's not a random session musician that you just bring in, tell him what to play, and send him home. He's well known and respected for what he does, and he's got some clout. So if Avery wanted to hire Deacon, he was hiring DEACON, and that means listening to what he has to say, rather than treating him like a work-for-hire. My beef was more that the storyline rang false. I know Deacon agreed immediately to get away from Scarlett's nagging and he likes Avery and loves to play guitar, but a guy like Deacon is someone you invite into the creative process, not dictate to. There are plenty of guitar players you could dictate to, and that's definitely fine. Sometimes you just need one specific thing to fill out your project, and you don't want any additional creative input. But given Deacon's experience and expertise, it feels false to me that anyone would see him as that guy. So for me, that whole thing actually made Avery look like a novice, and I sided with Deacon. It was nice Deacon apologized and backed down, though. I think it showed him to be the kind, accommodating, loyal guy he's always been.

Well, I wouldn't call session musicians "random." Especially in Nashville, there is a huge talent pool and none but the best are hired. Musicians are specifically requested (like Deacon was) by both the "talent" and the producers.  They are often musicians who do not like being on the road, so they are unknown to the public, but well known in the industry. Chet Atkins, arguably one of the best guitarists in Nashville, was a session musician for part of his career.

For all of his talent - Deacon was out of line. Suggesting approaches is one thing, but essentially demanding to have it his way - on a project that was not his, which he was not producing - was over the line. As producer, Avery had a specific mix in mind of all the instrumentation and vocals - not just the guitar. Deacon was right to apologize, an apology which Avery accepted with professional grace.

Loved Jeff being fired by Luke - he was out-dicked.

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 5
(edited)

Session musicians, especially in Nashville, are rarely "random" and are hugely talented. The talent pool there is so large, nobody's going to hire anyone but the best. They are sought after and specifically requested (by the "talent" as well as the producers). They are often musicians who do not like the being on the road side of the business. Chet Atkins, arguably one of the best guitarists in Nashville, was a session musician for part of his career.

Chet Atkins was who I was thinking of when I wrote that, actually. I didn't mean that session musicians weren't talented; they absolutely are. But I just find it hard to believe anyone would hire someone like Chet Atkins and then not listen to what he had to say. That doesn't mean the producer wouldn't win out in the end when it came to tone, but if you want the very best and his expertise, it seems to me you listen to the expertise. But maybe not. Maybe Nashville isn't a collaborative town like that. Or maybe it depends entirely on the producer. I don't think Deacon was so much out of line, though sure, if you're hired to play guitar not collaborate, you should do that. But I do think his frustration came out more aggressively because he was already dealing with a lot. I work with writers and illustrators daily, some more talented than others, and we tend toward collaboration as much as possible. Dictating tone or style to an artist usually ends up as crap, not as exactly what the producer or editor imagines, because it's the artist who, in the moment, has the creative feel for the song/story/illustration/whatever. Avery would have looked more like a pro to me if he'd described the sound he wanted and then played around with how Deacon delivered it, rather than just shutting him down out of the gate. That's all I meant. But I don't actually think that was the point of those scenes. The show wasn't intending to convey a creative battle; it was "Deacon is frustrated and taking that out on people" and "Avery is an ace producer." And that mostly came through, I thought.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 1

This episode made me happy. The singing combination I've wanted the most (if I can't have Wayne Brady) is Deacon, Scarlett, and Maddie. Aw heck, throw Daphne in there, too. Even let her stand in the spotlight once or twice. Call it "Deacon's Girls" and you're all set.

I'm always amazed at how easily these people are able to find a venue to sing in, and how easily they can add or subtract the people up on stage with them. Does that really happen? No one needs to rehearse, or at least set the spotlights, (maybe that's how Daphne was cast into the shadows!), or hook up the microphones correctly? When Rayna went into Maddie's room - the night before, yes? - and told her she was going to be singing the next night, she was all smiles. But in real life, every teenager I know would have been "MOM! I have nothing to wear! I have a zit on my chin! You can't spring this on me like this!!!!!" Hee. At the very least, what about homework?!?!

I'm getting a completely different view of Luke's son, Kohlrabi. Maybe he's not all bad after all. What happened to his sister, Cilantro? And DMC, thanks for the chuckle, Luke indeed has 'the depth of a cookie sheet!'

Jeff and Layla has me conflicted. The age difference squicks me out, yet they amuse me together. And I remember that the show began with Deacon and Juliette together...ick. I thought that when she told him not to meet up with her, his smile was one of satisfaction, because she was beginning to be strong enough to dish it out to him.

What happened to Scarlett's stage fright? It's just gone now? Or at least as long as she can sing with her two exes? I like that they're making her stronger and I like that she not only asked Dr. Cutie out, she went back the next day and clarified how she felt about him.

I think there was more I wanted to comment on, but frankly, those few moments of Deacon in the glasses sort of pushed everything else out of my brain. I had no idea I was that shallow.

• Love 2

Chet Atkins was who I was thinking of when I wrote that, actually. I didn't mean that session musicians weren't talented; they absolutely are. But I just find it hard to believe anyone would hire someone like Chet Atkins and then not listen to what he had to say. That doesn't mean the producer wouldn't win out in the end when it came to tone, but if you want the very best and his expertise, it seems to me you listen to the expertise. But maybe not. Maybe Nashville isn't a collaborative town like that. Or maybe it depends entirely on the producer. I don't think Deacon was so much out of line, though sure, if you're hired to play guitar not collaborate, you should do that. But I do think his frustration came out more aggressively because he was already dealing with a lot. I work with writers and illustrators daily, some more talented than others, and we tend toward collaboration as much as possible. Dictating tone or style to an artist usually ends up as crap, not as exactly what the producer or editor imagines, because it's the artist who, in the moment, has the creative feel for the song/story/illustration/whatever. Avery would have looked more like a pro to me if he'd described the sound he wanted and then played around with how Deacon delivered it, rather than just shutting him down out of the gate. That's all I meant. But I don't actually think that was the point of those scenes. The show wasn't intending to convey a creative battle; it was "Deacon is frustrated and taking that out on people" and "Avery is an ace producer." And that mostly came through, I thought.

I don't think Avery was against collaboration. The way I saw the scene, Avery didn't like the suggestion of the "bluesy" tone Deacon wanted to try with the slide, but was willing to hear it. And then after hearing it (a number of times) didn't want that particular sound. I agree, that the scene was supposed to show Deacon's frustration. We're not that far apart, really.

I'm a writer, who enjoys and values  working with editors. I know that my writing has always benefited from that collaboration. Nevertheless, as you pointed out, ultimately it is the artist's decision. In this case, I think I was identifying more with Avery than Deacon. :)

The Mr. is a musician, and I've watched and listened to the collaboration process (and known a studio musician or two), so I think I might have been a little prickly. I apologize if I was a bit harsh.

• Love 1