Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Don't Tell Jeffrey!

• Start Topic

I can make my mom cry with laughter when I do my Ina impersonations LOL.

Now I KNOW that no one at this table could POSSIBLY want any chocolate cake with creamy hazelnut sauce, right? *giggle*

• Love 1

I watch Ina not for the foods she prepares but her voice! I looooove to listen to her talk. It's so soothing. It's like a verbal massage. LOL. I know, weird, right? Well, I like her voice better than that dreadful Giada! Ugh, seriously? Giada is so obnoxious with her perfect children, perfect husband, perfect life. I wonder if she ever sweats or does her body simply not produce something as base as perspiration? Does she have to go to the bathroom? No, she probably produces no waste, she's a goddess, after all. Blech. She irritates me no end. Ina, baby, she has a voice like velvet. LOL.

I love her voice too, but wish she wouldn't laugh quite so much (hmm, that didn't sound very nice of me). I really love Jeffrey, I think he's cute, which gives away my age... I would love to have Ina fix me a picnic lunch!

• Love 1

What Carrie Ann said! Go for it, a recipe thread sounds great! You can also set them up for other things like things you've tried making, characters, episodes etc. Have fun!

It's nice to see familiar names from the TWoP thread, and I look forward to meeting new-to-me fans as well.  And since we didn't have a Meet Market thread for BC before, it will be nice to get to know you all a bit beyond your postings.

On that note, I guess I should introduce myself.  I'm a civil rights lawyer living in Los Angeles with my cat Maddie (that's her in the avatar).  My primary interest lies with women's rights cases (reproductive freedom, employment discrimination, Title IX, and much more) but I've had my hands in other areas as well.

I like to cook, not so much to bake (which is interesting, since I generally like the more regimented and scientific aspects of life), and I eat chicken almost as often as Ina.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

Glad to see this here. I am a TWoP lurker, since the time I replied I got chastised.  Oh well.  But, like SnarkyWatcher, I really love her voice and imagine that she would smell like Cashmere Bouquet powder and it would be comforting.  Crazy, right?  

Hi, all. I am also coming over from TWOP. I've been active there since 2006, I think, under a couple of different names, and I'm looking forward to lots more discussion of all things Ina.

By way of introduction, I'm a high school guidance counselor in Maryland. I'm married and have a 21-year-old son who is in his third year of college. My son is a much more adventurous eater than my husband, but we have consumed more than our fair share of Ina dishes over the years. 

I've been an Ina fan since the days when she used to appear in Martha Stewart Living magazine - back in the 90's. I remember buying The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook and making the chicken skewers with satay dip - my very first Ina recipe. Wow, how time flies!

• Love 1

Hi Everyone! I'm a homeless TWoP person. So glad to find this site. I love Ina! I'm so glad someone mentioned her voice. She calms me....that's the only way I can describe it. Strange....I know. Oh well, I just got off my plane from Madagascar with fresh vanilla beans (LOL) so let's start cooking.

I'm another TWoP refugee and having been there since 2002 it's going to be an adjustment!

I adore Ina and her faaabulous life and recipes. I made her crispy mustard chicken again on Sunday and her penne with five cheeses is a staple in my house (and probably one of many reasons I still can't lose those pesky 10 pounds, lol!).

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:
  1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

Hi All!  I am another TWOP lurker come over.  Over the last few years I transitioned from frozen pizzas to learning a lot of cooking basics from watching Ina.  My family is very grateful!  Of course, cut the recipe in half or even two-thirds.  Anyway, I've so enjoyed reading others' posts on the Barefoot Contessa experience and looking forward to doing so over here!

I'm also a TWoP lurker/poster. Have been cooking since my teens but have grown in my abilities due to Ina (and Anne Burrell when her show was on). For many years, I rarely cooked because my hubby is far better at it than I am. I tend to bake more but still really enjoy creating a meal for people when I can. I appreciate Ina's simplified approach and focus on good ingredients (even though we all poke fun at it) as well as cooking from scratch. We rarely eat processed foods in our home so I don't want recipes where I'm supposed to open a bunch of cans, boxes, and jars. I think that's why I like Ina more than other FN cooks. So glad we can continue our conversation here!

Hello, everyone!  I also used to post at TWoP with many of you!  I come from the world of food, literally, figuratively, and everything in between.  I grew up on a farm in Indiana (where I just moved back to), and started cooking as soon as my mother could pawn off the responsibility onto me.  I've worked in hotels/restaurants/catering since I graduated college, and now work for a food manufacturer in sales.  I love Ina and swear by her Beef Bourguignon, Vegetable Tian, Indonesian Chicken, Roasted Vegetable Soup, Ham and Cheese in Puff Pastry, and Mushroom Lasagna.  I'm a single girl, so I sometimes avoid the Ina recipes that I can't freeze, because her yields are made for families of 8.

I love that Ina and her guests are always laughing heartily about absolutely nothing.  She answers the door and says "hello" and everybody shrieks with laughter.  "Who wants cornbread?" is enough to start them giggling.  Mr Washables has been known to scold our guests for not laughing enough: he has ordered guests at times to guffaw.  He has also demanded more chuckling.  He claims that the only difference between our dinner parties and Ina's is that our guests don't know enough to laugh nonstop.

• Love 6

Hi all, another lurking TWOP refugee here (although I never looked at the BC threads over there). I love watching Ina's stress-free approach to cooking and laid back attitude in the kitchen, as well as her emphasis on local produce. Really don't cook much (no kids, and my husband is often away) but have learned a lot of tips from Ina over the years. Semi-Horrible With Sandra Lee is one of my guilty pleasures, so I always keep a few episodes of BC on my DVR to cleanse my palate directly after. :) Look forward to meeting other Ina fans here! Even when I snark on her, I snark with love.

• Love 2

Hello everyone! I'm yet *another* TWoP "refugee" -- I registered with them a LONG time ago, but was too timid to post there because I don't take chastising very well and tend to have fairly strong opinions about things! Anyway, I'm a retired teacher who loves to cook, and whenever I want a dependably delicious and foolproof recipe for my family (except for that darned HVPoD, but I haven't given up on that recipe yet!), I always turn to Ina. In my experience, she rarely disappoints. I'm so happy to see many of the TWoP regulars are here, and I intend to change my lurking ways and post fairly regularly from now on -- you folks are so entertaining and friendly, and I'm looking forward to joining in on the fun!

• Love 5

Hi, gang!  This refugee from TWoP has changed her name.  Gone is the French girl named Mlle Poilane.  She's been replaced by an Irish girl named Lura.  My family is Irish through and through, and Lura was my grandma's middle name (in case you're interested)!

It's great being here with other friends and names I recognize.  Thanks so much to the good people at Previously for taking us in.

AnneZeePark914, I have searched high and low for "Ina's flower," but I never found it on the web, probably because it was Winter.  You can bet I'm making a beeline to Safeway today in hopes of finding some plants!  More and more, I'm convinced that we must have been twins, separated at birth!

• Love 2

@Lura - heh heh...yup!  Re: "Ina's flower"...I can't remember which one that is (it was discussed by many over at the old BC forum maybe a year ago).  The name of that flower is not easily remembered if I recall correctly.  Every time she puts together an arrangement of creamy white flowers & tucks in some greenery, I swoon.

I noticed someone mentioned roast chicken (well, yeah--this is a BC forum ;>) and so I must confess that even tho' I love roast chicken, it always makes a big mess in the oven thanks to the butter/oil squirting all over the place.  Does this happen to everyone? Or am I doing something wrong?  I'm trying to remember if we've already had a discussion about this and someone suggested putting the chicken in the oven with nothing on it.  Is that an "ok" thing to do?

Very nice of you to say, Captain1.  I wish I could talk with a brogue!

Stinger97, thank you for the reminder.  So far, I'm a little bit confused on the board, especially about what goes where, so I can use all the help and guidance you can offer.

Stinger97, which one is you in your avatar, or am I not supposed to ask?  Since both of you are smiling, neither one of you looks like a stinger!  :)

• Love 2

So far, I'm a little bit confused on the board, especially about what goes where,

Lura, I think it helps, as a TWoP refugee, to understand that every show here gets its own forum, rather than some being relegated to single threads.  So the "Small Talk" thread that exists within every one of those forums is akin to the "Meet Market" thread that only some shows got at TWoP -- it's the place for the off-topic chatter that was verboten in single-thread shows.  Who are you, what else do you like and dislike in life, etc. 

Discussion of the show itself goes in the most-appropriate thread within the forum (an episode or season thread, or general discussion, a "character" (or, in this case, host) thread, a quotes thread, etc.) ... and if there isn't yet a good thread for a line of conversation, any user can make one. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2
...it's the place for the off-topic chatter that was verboten in single-thread shows.  Who are you, what else do you like and dislike in life, etc.

So, Small Talk: Don't Tell Jeffrey! should be about anything but the BC Show, Ina Garten, her recipes, friends, etc., right?  I've been confused myself. In this thread we can talk about books we've read, movies we've seen, non-BC recipes we've made??? (sorry to be so thick...I'm loving previously.tv, am having fun reading/posting in so many different forums :>)

• Love 1

Exactly, annzeepark914.  Anything BUT the show.  Obviously, none of the mods are going to ding you simply because you make a passing reference to Ina, but we're trying to organize the site in a particular way and encourage all of you wonderful folks to stretch out and use the forums to their full effect. Feel free to create threads for particular subjects relating to the show, etc. The world is your oyster (with a squeeze of lemon and chopped fresh parsley).

• Love 3

Now that I'm finally able to access this site and am finding my way around (a little bit!), I'm beginning to feel more at home here.  I think that David and the moderators have done an amazing job of helping me to feel welcome.  They seem to grit their teeth when we make mistakes but never seem impatient, and they're really wonderful about offering their help and guidance.  They deserve so much credit for all of their work.  Thank you, David, and thank you, mods.

• Love 5

Well, today I tried to find Diamond Crystal Kosher salt at Wegman's, the only supermarket in our area that has carried it so far.  Nada!  They had a small 13 oz canister: Diamond Crystal Iodized Salt Sense (Real Salt, 33% Less Sodium per teaspoon) which I bought just for the heck of it.  Went to customer service to ask where the heck is the box. The staffer looked it up and said it's no longer being sold in my Wegman's (but it is in other Wegman's...none of them nearby).  Why is it so hard to find the box of Diamond Crystal kosher salt?

If I haven't mentioned it already (over at TWOP), I've discovered that a pretty good, inexpensive e.v.o.o. is at Trader Joe's.  It's called California Estate Olive Oil (extra virgin) and it's only $5.99 a bottle.  Love it!  I'm also crazy about TJ's frozen latke's - bake them and then when they're crispy, I love to squirt fresh lemon juice on them - so refreshing, crispy & delicious!

• Love 1

The Kirkland brand organic extra virgin olive oil at Costco is really good for the price, too.  It has been praised in several articles, such as this one from CBS News:

Costco’s Kirkland Signature Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil may be the best-kept secret in the store. At $9.99 for 1.5 liters, it is roughly half the cost of the well-known Bertolli brand, and yet, according to at least one independent study, it’s much better. In a recent comparison of 19 olive oils on the market, The Olive Center, a research group at the University of California-Davis, found that Kirkland Organic was one of only five in the study not mixed with cheaper refined olive oil that can spoil the taste. The other four at the top of the list were all high-end brands that cost as much as five times Costco’s. Make sure you buy the Costco version that’s labeled organic, though, as opposed to the one that’s simply called “extra virgin olive oil.” It’ll cost a little bit more, but it’s worth it.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

I just saw it at a hybrid Latino/Asian supermarket, in the aisle with baking ingredients such as canned goat's milk & pearl tapioca -- it's pretty ubiquitous in my area. The Diamond website has a "product locator" section that tells you where to find it within your ZIP Code.

I've put all of these recommended products on my grocery list and will see whether I can find them.  AnnzeePark914, it's the latkes I'm hungry for.  They have to be close to the top of my favorite foods, but I seldom make them.  I have a cast iron skillet shouting, "Latkes! Latkes!" and a TJs nearby.  Thanks for all of the recommendations.

Incidentally, I would take the word of the Univ. of CA-Davis any day of the week.  They're one of the most noted and progressive agriculture/food schools in the country.

• Love 1

@3pwood:  Thanks for the link.  Two of the stores on there (for my zip code) don't carry Diamond Crystal (the box) so I think I'll call the others on the list and I've bookmarked the link so I can call the 800 number if no one around here carries it.

While at Wegman's yesterday, there was a young man walking around produce with a tray of tiny cups holding pieces of Champagne Mango.  I discovered these at Harris Teeter 2 weeks ago (but they no longer have them) so was thrilled to find them again - 88 cents!  For anyone who can't handle the taste of regular mangoes, these champagne mangoes are perfect.  They don't have that odd, semi-metallic taste that I dislike in regular mangoes.  Walmart is also selling them at the same price.  They're small and yellow and delicious!