Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Don't Tell Jeffrey!

• Start Topic

(edited)
Has anyone ever heard Ina mention having a pet (other than Jeffrey)?  I heard somewhere that they have a dog, but I doubt it,.  Have you ever known a pet owner who could resist talking about their pet?

LOL - no, we pet owners do tend to go on.  Given how Ina parades everyone else in her life in front of the camera, I'd think any pet of hers would be featured in an episode.

Chessiegal, my condolences on the loss of your little buddy to cancer.  Chester had to have a colonoscopy to rule out cancer; thankfully he "just" has IBS, which is being controlled fairly well with diet and an ever-decreasing dose of steroids.  And congratulations on your new family member; the image of her sniffing the bed, curling up in it, and forever leaving behind all desire to be outside makes me smile.

My kitties were adopted from the shelter, but Chester was the first my parents went out and adopted in all their lives -- the rest had all shown up, one as a feral stray and the rest as dumped pets (they live in the hills, where such thing seems more common) -- and announced, "I live here now."  Like Lura's, one came complete with six kittens.  We kept mamma and one kitten, and found homes for the rest.

I lost my Baxter unexpectedly right before Christmas, and recently concluded that almost all the reasons to adopt another cat would be for my benefit and almost all the reasons not to would make things better for Maddie.  So I've promised her she need not adjust to a new brother or sister (I think she'd like to have him, specifically, back, but in the absence of that is perfectly happy being an only child) if, in exchange, she'll stick around for at least another five years.  She's at least 15 and several years into kidney disease (that I'm managing quite well by diet and supplements thanks to nearly six months worth of research), so that's pretty wishful thinking, but she's happy and healthy and we've settled into our new routine. 

I can't say I completely knocked out my lingering cough during Bastet's Weekend of Rest, but I'm back where I was before I went into overdrive, and I definitely caught up on my sleep (which Maddie enjoyed, and which would have been Baxter's idea of heaven -- his favorite thing in the world was when I'd get up, feed him, and then go back to bed, since cuddling with Mommy on a full tummy combined his two greatest pleasures in life).

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3

Animals really are intuitive and know when something is wrong!  When I have had an upset stomach, my oldest cat, who normally likes curl up on top of me, will cuddle up gently at my feet.

That's so sweet.  Baxter was the most empathetic cat I'd ever had, and when I had a migraine he would curl up on the pillow and stick a paw under the cool cloth on my forehead.  Most amazingly, he'd forgo his usual off-the-charts purring during such times in favor of the silence I needed.  Maddie is no slouch, either; she strategically places herself as a furry heating pad when I have cramps.

Someone asked me waaay back there about black beans.  No, I have never tasted them -- not only not in chili, but in anything as far as I know.  I think I may have tasted a spoonful at a Mexican restaurant once, but that's about it.  Small town America wasn't knowledgeable about black beans and many other things back in the 50s.  My mom used kidney beans in her chili , and so did everyone else.  Also, the chili was always made with hamburger, not chunks of meat, and Campbell's tomato soup and plenty of onions.  We passed a small bowl of chili powder, and each person added what they wanted.  We didn't know it wasn't "real chili, and we loved it!

I was the one who asked about the black beans, @Lura, because they are a favorite of mine. I can highly recommend the black bean soup at Panera, if you want to try something really good featuring black beans. Or google "black bean salsa soup" for something quick and easy that also tastes really good. It's more Sandra Lee than Ina, but sometimes quick and easy does the trick. : )

I also grew up in a small town in the 60's and was raised on cottage cheese lasagne and other similar culinary delights. It's hard to imagine now just how limited our palates were, due to lack of variety in the grocery stores.

• Love 2

I grew up in Los Angeles, as did my mother, but my dad comes from a podunk town in Oklahoma.  When we'd go visit, my mom would do most of the cooking while we were there, which was a real adventure -- first, we couldn't find half of what we wanted in the town's one market, and second, the basic stuff we did cobble together was often a total revelation to my relatives.  They'd never had tacos - and these were simple beef tacos, not something like shrimp tacos with mango slaw (what I'm making tonight, yum) - and were outright confused by fajitas.  They sure wound up devouring everything, though. 

(edited)
I was the one who asked about the black beans....

Vera!  I thought it was you, but I couldn't find it..  We have a new Panera about 3 miles from our house, so I'll have to try their black bean soup.  If we like it, I'll expand my repertoire to include recipes using black beans.  Thanks for the encouragement!

Edited by Lura

I also grew up in a small town in the 60's and was raised on cottage cheese lasagne and other similar culinary delights.

Cottage cheese lasagna was the reason I thought I did not like ricotta until I was an adult and realized that it was not the star of Mom's lasagna. Similarly, I thought parmesan did not taste like anything because the green can doesn't and thought I did not like mayo because all we ever had was Miracle Whip. Growing up in Southern Indiana in the 60s and early 70s was not a culinary mecca.

The pet stories here remind me of when my mom was dying from Alzheimer's and was in a hospital bed at home. Her orange kitty (not universally friendly to anyone else) would curl up on her shoulder and purr and it seemed to relax them both. Cats are special. (Dogs may be, too, but my experience is feline.)

all we ever had was Miracle Whip

Um, fellow Hoosier here.  What is WITH our love of that stuff??  Sure, if I have a bologna sandwich once a year when I'm at my parent's house, I admit, it tastes better with a little MW instead of mayo, but I don't remember ever even eating mayo until I was out of their house.  Was it because Kraft is a midwest company?  I do prefer Kraft Mayo to Hellman's, though.  Sorry, Ina.

LOVE LOVE LOVE black beans!  Although I have to say, I'm not a fan of the black bean sludge.  I rinse the beans if I'm using canned, and if I'm making them from scratch, I keep changing out the chicken stock during cooking.  I make a really great andouille black bean soup that's REALLY easy-brown andouille sausage, add in mirepoix and garlic, black beans, and chicken stock.  Toss in a bay leaf and let her go for about 20-30 minutes until the veggies are done.  It freezes beautifully.

• Love 1

I am really loving the cat stories and mom recipes.  Our cat was a rescue who initially was so shy my nephew looked at her and said "So that's why they call them fraidy cats."  She eventually came out of her shell and was a faithful friend for 17 years.

It took me a long time to realize my mother's cooking was straight out of the Lipton's-onion-soup-mix and Campbell's-cream-of-mushroom-soup playbook.  (Yes, I still like cottage cheese in lasagna.)  Which was strange since she grew up on a farm.  I think her chicken and dumplings recipe was from the farm though, so this thread has prompted me to email her.  Those dumplings were light.

Daisychain, my mouth is watering, and I can't stand it anymore.  I would almost sell my soul if you would share with me your recipe for chicken and dumplings.  It would also make my husband the happiest man in town!  Please?  I hope it isn't a family secret!  If it is, would your mom consider adopting me?

(edited)

I too am enjoying the cat tales (sorry for the pun).  Unashamed cat lovers here, on our second cat as our beloved Midnight who was a devoted TWoP follower, and my devoted lap cat, succumbed to ailments before we were ready to let him go (are we ever?).  Our newest cat, who may or may not care whether we exist or not, except if we feed him, is also a rescue cat like his predecessor shows up once in a while and is very friendly. 

As to whether Ina has pets?  I rather doubt it.  Pets would cramp Ina and Jeffrey's style and would get in the way of them jetting off to Paris on a whim.

Edited because "to" is not same as "the."

Edited by orchidgal

I just got the chicken-and-dumplings recipe, Lura, I will send it as soon as I figure out how!  My mother says I do need a pastry cutter to do this (I don't actually own one).  It looks pretty standard but she says she drops the dumplings on top of the chicken, not in the broth.  Maybe that is why they are light - steamed not boiled?

(edited)

I'd love the recipe too, Daisychain!  

In Indiana, there's not as much chicken and dumplings as there is chicken and noodles, which I think must be an offshoot of that.  Both are delicious!

Edited by larapu2000
(edited)

Daisychain, that's wonderful news that you got the recipe.  I can't wait to have chicken and dumplings again!  Thank you.

Larapu,  your beautiful and graceful way of referring to the departure of your cat moved me deeply.  When our beloved all black boy cat faced the end, and it was a first for me, I'll never forget our vet saying, "Remember -- cats don't know tomorrows.  They only know todays."  I'd never thought about it in that way, and it was a great consolation.  Condolences on your loss.

Edited by Lura
  • Love 1

I haven't made it in a long time, but an old recipe at my house is pork chops, sauerkraut, and dumplings. I cook the dumplings right on top of the pork chops and sauerkraut and they are vey light. Maybe because there is so little liquid they don't get wet? Anyway, it is good old comfort food.

• Love 1

My parents made pork roast with sauerkraut and dumplings when I was a kid and I make chicken and dumplings now. I think the secret to light, fluffy dumplings is cooking them on top of the other things, not boiling them in broth. The outside gets sticky (in a good way!) and the inside puffs up and gets light. OK, now I am getting hungry and need to make some dumplings.

• Love 1

HI! De-lurking because, dumplings! I want to try to make dumplings this way-on top of stuff instead of in broth!  I can just use a standard dumpling recipe?(Sometimes I use Bisquick <shame>)  For the pork chops I am thinking, put the sauerkraut in the bottom of a glass baking dish, raw pork chops on top of that, and dumpling dough on top of chops.  If that is way off base let me know because I am going to try that soon!  Thanks!

Two suggestions, novhappy: You need to use a deeper, covered pan to get steam to cook the dumplings and the pork should be cooked before you add the dumplings to the pan. The meat should be browned, then the sauerkraut added and cooked, then the dumplings cooked on top. You have to use a covered pan (like a dutch oven) in order to get steam to cook the dumplings through. I just use the dumpling recipe from The Joy of Cooking - flour, baking powder, salt, butter and milk.

• Love 1

Yep, exactly what Vera said. I was taught to brown the pork chops, take them from the pan and put in the sauerkraut with the drippings and add back the meat to finish cooking. The the dumplings get spooned on top. It looks like a mess but when done they lift right off and are beautiful.

I fixed this when my kids were growing and they never learned to like sauerkraut but loved this. They just kind of avoided the kraut. Ha! Oh, and we always have applesauce with this meal.

• Love 1

I use canned sauerkraut, but I can't remember whether I drained the can before adding the kraut or poured it all into the broth.  As I recall, there isn't really much juice in the sauerkraut can -- just enough to keep it moist.  To drain or not to drain, that is the question.  Anyone care to comment? 

I always drain, I find the liquid too bitter.  My family has always made our kraut with shredded apples, onions, and brown sugar.  It's more sweet and sauerkraut.  Anyone else?

I'm making Guy Fieri's Asian Noodle Salad for a party tonight and I always get TONS of compliments on it, but I'm always sooooooo embarrassed to admit it's Guy Fieri's because I don't want people to think I watch his show.  LOL.  

• Love 4

I can relate to that; I make a spinach, artichoke and cheese dip that is a slight variation on a Rachael Ray recipe, and I always cringe a little when asked for the recipe.  Because usually what happens is someone in the group starts raving about how much they love her show and trying to talk to me about episodes, but I don't watch it - I just got that recipe off the internet. 

(I suppose I could just give people the recipe without attributing it to her, but I like to give credit where credit is due.)

• Love 1

I use sauerkraut that comes in a plastic bag, which I think tastes about a thousand times better than the kind in the can. It doesn't have a lot of liquid on it, so I just pour it juice and all into the cooking pan. If I am serving it with pork, some onions and apples make a nice addition. I also like caraway seeds. No brown sugar, though. We're German and we like our sauerkraut unadulterated and sour, the way nature intended!

Recently I was telling someone about my grandmother's sauerkraut crock. I'm not sure if my parents still have it someplace, but it was a huge brown earthenware vessel, probably three feet tall and at least a foot and a half across. My dad's mother and her mother used it to make a huge amount of sauerkraut every fall, which they kept in the basement and brought upstairs as needed. As far as I know, the only things they put in the crock were shredded cabbage and salt, then they put a large plate on top and weighed it down with a brick. That and time was all that was needed to make sauerkraut. Now my mouth is watering, thinking about it! That was some very sour sauerkraut.

• Love 2

I use sauerkraut that comes in a plastic bag, which I think tastes about a thousand times better than the kind in the can. It doesn't have a lot of liquid on it, so I just pour it juice and all into the cooking pan.

Vera Charles, I was about to post the exact same comment. I switched to bagged sauerkraut years ago and it's so much better.

We made our own sauerkraut one year and bar none, it's the best I've ever had.  I don't understand how even smaller kraut companies can't make something equivalent.  It's incredible.  

Vera Charles, my family is German too, but perhaps my German great grandpa and grandpa had a bigger sweet tooth?  My great grandma made it with brown sugar, so we always followed suit.  It's not really SWEET, more that it balances the flavors.  We also always make our sauerkraut with sausage and not pork.  It's strange, the regional differences in the US alone!

The homemade sauerkraut sounds wonderful.  When we lived back in Ohio, our house had an attic and a basement, and that cool basement would have been ideal for storing kraut.  Here in California, though, our house has no attic and no basement (due to the danger of earthquakes), and the temperatures are far warmer than in Ohio, so I wouldn't hazard making it here.  I think I may use sauerkraut from a bag, though, because I'm interested in tasting the difference.

Tonight, in my ongoing quest to start trying out the gazillion recipes I've clipped, downloaded, copied out of library books, etc., I made Penne with Greek Style Tomato Sauce that I found in a Southern Living magazine.  Think I found a keeper as we liked it a lot!  It's similar to Summer Spaghetti's "sauce".  I used mini penne which worked out great.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/penne-with-greek-style-tomato-sauce-10000001084350/

• Love 1

annzeepark914, thanks for sharing that recipe!. It's right up my alley, as I love artichoke hearts, olives, and feta cheese. I have to try that real soon. I can already tell from reading the recipe that I'll like it. It looks like a great summer pasta recipe.

• Love 1

I love everything about the recipe, and I know my DH would like it, too, BUT ... what do I do about the feta cheese?  We both dislike it.  Thanks, too, for the link to the recipe.

I remember you saying your dislike stemmed from it being sheep's milk.  Have you ever tried some of the "feta" cheese made with cow's milk?  (I haven't, as I love real feta, so I have no idea of its flavor profile, but I know it exists.)

@Lura:  Go to a cheese shop (or the cheese dept in your supermarket) and ask them for a very mild feta (that's what I do--don't care for the briney, OTT tangy stuff). I think what I get is made from cow's milk (Mr. P914 thinks it's too bland).  Or, toss in a soft cheese that you like--maybe a fresh mozzarella would be a good substitute; it just needs to be able to melt a little when the "sauce" hits the hot pasta. Or, skip the cheese altogether.  This sauce is so delicious it doesn't have to have the cheese IMO.  

• Love 2

Annzeepark914, and you sweet others who offered suggestions, I really appreciate your ideas.  I believe I'll start with Annzee's mozzarella idea, and if that doesn't work well, I'll try one of the others.  I've read suggestions before online about American made feta, and I really think my DH would automatically dislike the dish if he heard the word "feta," no matter who made it!  If I used mozzarella, he'd automatically think of pizza and how much he loves the gooey cheese on top!  Everything else about the recipe sounds wonderful, so I hate to deny us a beautiful dinner because of one piece of cheese.  :)

• Love 2
(edited)

So...has anyone here made fried green tomatoes?  I bought a few green tomatoes the other day and can't find my recipe for them (haven't made this dish since--geez--maybe 2001?).  I'm not a southerner; first made them in 1998 and loved them (after seeing that fabulous movie--it inspired me ;>)  I just found a recipe at allrecipes.com which looks good (got lots of great reviews from southerners, which, IMO, counts!).  I remember I served the fried green tomatoes with aioli (my own version).  Think I'll give this a try (with a few twists like some garlic powder & a bit of parmesan):

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Best-Fried-Green-Tomatoes/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=fried%20green%20tomatoes&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page&soid=sr_results_p1i1

Edited by annzeepark914
(edited)

So...has anyone here made fried green tomatoes?  I bought a few green tomatoes the other day and can't find my recipe for them (haven't made this dish since--geez--maybe 2001?).  I'm not a southerner; first made them in 1998 and loved them (after seeing that fabulous movie--it inspired me ;>)  I just found a recipe at allrecipes.com which looks good (got lots of great reviews from southerners, which, IMO, counts!).  I remember I served the fried green tomatoes with aioli (my own version).  Think I'll give this a try (with a few twists like some garlic powder & a bit of parmesan):

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Best-Fried-Green-Tomatoes/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=fried%20green%20tomatoes&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page&soid=sr_results_p1i1

I have started making fried green tomatoes last year and I love the recipe I use, I did a bit of research and it is just 3 ingredients, Soak them in buttermilk, then dredge in corn meal (the fine kind) and shallow fry in canola oil. I do not season them because I like them with hot sauce. But any sauce will do. I am not a southerner as well, but let me tell you these are addictive. 

Edited by monkeybread
  • Love 1

When we were first married and living in a suburb of Cleveland, I had the great good luck of living next door to a couple who fled WWII from Austria.  Sophie taught me some of her most loved dishes, and one of them was fried green tomatoes, dipped in egg. then flour, and fried.  I'd never tasted them before, and it was love at first taste!  We went on to fried zucchini dipped first in flour, and eventually to real apple-cinnamon strudel, stretched clear across my big table.  To this day, I can't eat strudel out of a box.  Food really is love and goes on for a lifetime, reminding you of that love.  Sophie is gone now, but she certainly lives on through her delectable food.

• Love 3

monkeybread, how long do you soak the green tomato slices in buttermilk before dredging in cornmeal?  This sounds a lot quicker & easier & less messy than dealing with eggs & 2 or 3 kinds of dry ingredients.

(edited)

Maybe 20 minutes or so, and oh yes this method is easy. And the cornmeal makes them so nicely crunchy. Then I layer a large cookie sheet with paper towels to absorb extra oil. Let me know how it turns out if you try it 3pwood :)

Edited by monkeybread

What a wonderful story about your neighbor Sophie, Lura.  On the other end of the spectrum, my entire family is away this week so I have been trying to eat what's in the house instead of going shopping.  It's harder than it looks on those "pantry" episodes of cooking shows.  No fresh veg, out of eggs, and too many starches.  I think I can make chicken chili with old peppers, old chicken, and old tomatoes, and then I'm done - back to the store.

• Love 1

I grew up in Los Angeles, as did my mother, but my dad comes from a podunk town in Oklahoma.  When we'd go visit, my mom would do most of the cooking while we were there, which was a real adventure -- first, we couldn't find half of what we wanted in the town's one market, and second, the basic stuff we did cobble together was often a total revelation to my relatives.  They'd never had tacos - and these were simple beef tacos, not something like shrimp tacos with mango slaw (what I'm making tonight, yum) - and were outright confused by fajitas.  They sure wound up devouring everything, though.

Bastet, I've never had tacos made with any type of seafood before. How do you cook the shrimp?

(edited)

Thanks, Daisychain.  :)

You must  be brave and easy to please if you're eating only what you have on hand!  I shudder to think of what that would be like in my house! 

Farmgal4, here's a link to Ina's shrimp cocktail recipe in which she tells how to cook the shrimp.  While shrimp can also be boiled for 3 minutes, many cooks agree that Ina's method produces better tasting shrimp.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/roasted-shrimp-cocktail-recipe.html  Hope this helps.

Edited by Lura
  • Love 2

Several years ago, I participated in an online board that did a twice a year "Eat Down The Pantry" challenge. Basically, everybody pledged to try to go two weeks without going to the grocery store and use up what they had on hand. It was an opportunity to use up stuff in the freezer, refrigerator and pantry that otherwise would have continued to sit there and not get used. In that spirit, last Christmas, I made all my cookies with ingredients that I already had in the pantry, instead of buying even more baking supplies that I only use once or twice a year. A few weeks ago, I had some out-of-town relatives come over for dinner. I managed to use up a lot of frozen chicken and some potatoes and peppers that were going to come to the end of their usefulness. That was the time I made Ina's Tuscan Chicken and used about four pounds of breasts and thighs out of the deep freeze, plus some lemons that I had on hand. I also made potato/pepper/onion packets to go on the grill and cleaned out my potato storage, as well as some peppers that had been frozen since last summer's farmers market. Once you decide to do it, it's easier to eat what's on hand than people would think. Right now, I have completely full vegetable drawers in the fridge, sounds like it's time for a large pan of Ina's roasted vegetables!

• Love 1
I also made potato/pepper/onion packets to go on the grill 

@vera charles:  This sounds interesting.  Is there a specific recipe or do you just slice potatoes, onions and bell peppers and put them in foil packs?

Gosh, I admire anyone who can go a week w/o a trip to the supermarket, just using up what's on hand in the freezer and pantry (both of mine are overloaded!).

@annzeepark914: I guess I thought everybody's mom made potato packets to go on the grill, since mine did. : ) 

Slice potatoes, onions and peppers into thin slices. Take a square of foil for each person, grease the center of it with olive oil, then lay the potatoes, onions and peppers on top. Season with salt and pepper, drizzle with a little more oil, then close it up tightly. Cook the packets on the grill,turning once or twice, until they are cooked through.

My mom always made individual servings. This time around, I made two large packets because I was not sure exactly how many people would be eating. I used russet potatoes, vidalia onions and some mild peppers out of the freezer. Use whatever you have on hand, the recipe is pretty forgiving. The most important part is greasing the foil so everything doesn't stick and letting it cook until the potatoes are very done.

• Love 3

vera charles, I love the idea of screaming through your holiday treat supplies 2 years in a row, because I am no baker.  Usually my sister and my daughter get together and fill in there.  I also am planning my potato-onion-pepper packets in my head now.  It seems like you could throw any kind of spice mix in there.

On the opposite side of cooking from the pantry, my greatest pantry sin is letting fruit go bad.  Today I was going to do that upside-down tart tatin, but my apples had gone bad from the inside out.  Ugh.

Ha ha, my mom also does the potato-pepper-onion packet.  Was that a "thing" at some point in time?  Too funny.

I bought the last of the summer strawberries at the farmer's market this weekend and made a good amount of jam.  However, I tried the new instant pectin product from Ball for about half of my berries, and it does NOT work.  I'm going to try to add some more to the strawberries again, to help it gel, but so far, it's more of a strawberry topping than jam.  Does anyone have any suggestions or have you tried the instant pectin?