Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Don't Tell Jeffrey!

• Start Topic

(edited)

Are you may be thinking of "Chef at Home" Michael Smith who is on FN Canada?

That's him! Thank you! (Here you go -- I just poured you a large cyber cocktail to say thank you --  with tons of fresh quartered limes alongside, despite the shortage:)

Edited by film noire
  • Love 1

Ooooo, Michael Smith is a cutie!  I'm sure I've never seen his show, but he definitely looks familiar, so he must have been on another show.

My mother used to watch "Amish Cooking" with Marcia Adams on PBS.  Adams was a professor, I think, with an interest in the Amish people of Indiana mostly.  She made some good soups.  Now, when we're begging the FN for a show that isn't a competition, Marcia's show would probably be a huge hit.  I'd love to see the show now, even in re-runs.

AnneZeePark914,  I checked out your Mennonite site, and it looks interesting.  Unfortunately, I didn't have time to go through the recipes, so I'll save that for another day.  I wish they had the recipe for the gooey buns they make at the Florida place.  They're so good they make you dizzy!  Thanks again for the info.

• Love 1
I wish I could help film noire but that does not ring a bell. Does anyone remember the take home chef show? With that tall hot Australian chef? I miss that show. It was funny to see how sometimes the husband or friend etc would actually look annoyed at first when the camera crew surprised them.

Oh, yes.  My old roommate and I called it the "Take Home To Bed Chef" because that's really what the person wanted to happen.  I mean, that what I would have wanted to happen if Curtis Stone stopped me at the grocery store!

Aw, I love Tom Colicchio, and I think it's BECAUSE of his seeming dickishness.  I think he gets really frustrated at the chefs because he knows they can do better, because he knows their talent level.  One of the reasons I love when Bourdain guest judges (aside from Bourdain himself) is that immediately appears more at ease and relaxed around him, cracking wise and having a good laugh.  And really, his biggest beef with most chefs is proper seasoning-is that so wrong?  LOL.  Plus, I love his crazy beautiful blue eyes.  I'm shallow, what can I say?

I need to check out that Mennonite Girls Can Cook site.  No one does pies like the Amish & Mennonites.  No one, I tell you!

• Love 1

I had an aunt who was Mennonite before she married my uncle. I was fascinated as a kid to watch her make pies and cakes - she never measured a single ingredient and everything was wonderful. We had Thanksgiving at their house every year, and boy did she put on a spread. Turkey and ham, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, sweet potatoes, rolls, several different vegetables, and one of my favorites, pickled eggs. And there were usually at least 3 different desserts, sometimes more.

• Love 2

Curtis Stone, SEXY???  Well, OK.  You call him sexy; I call him charming... and a good cook.  I can't understand a word he says.  Of course, I guess his pronunciation doesn't count if he's sexy.  I see Curtis as a nice, charming Incredible Hulk lookalike.                

Being that this is a public forum, it will take Curtis about two minutes to hear about this.  Tomorrow's headlines will read, 'STONE LEAPS INTO BED WITH FAN AND DECLARES, 'THAT'S MY STINGER!'

I can see Jeffrey turning to Ina and asking, "What does this mean?"

(edited)

Stinger97, far be it from me to dampen your enthusiasm, but if you're planning on dancing with Curtis, you should be prepared to suffer for your love.  Broken toes cannot be set.  I would suggest a visual to help you: Picture dancing with an elephant. What price fame?

There might be a way around this, however.  Choose one of those Latin dances in which the man takes about two steps, then throws the woman over his back.  If you could get that rolling  down, you'd win -- AND save your toes in the process.

Be prepared.  Choose Ina for your stand-in.  She'd look so cute in one of those multi-layered, multi-colored skirts to go with her black or navy shirt.

Edited by Lura
  • Love 1

Good one, Bastet!

I'm in need of some help.  Does anyone remember the name of the white flowers with the pale green tinge that Ina bought from Michael for a get-together?  This was in an old show, and Ina mentioned how much she loved them.  Someone on TWoP knew what they were, but I've lost the piece of paper I scribbled the name onto.  Year after year I want to grow some.  Can anyone help?  Thank you in advance!

I've noticed that right now there are over 3,200 "views" of this Small Talk topic but not much posting.  And of course, over at our dear TWOP, only a few are posting these last sad days of its existence.  It makes me wonder if the 3,200+ "viewers" stopping by and checking us out here just keep on going because...well, why?  I'd love to see this Small Talk topic (and get rid of the Don't Tell Jeffrey because it pulls me back into the land of BC or start a new one) possibly turned into some type of friendly chat topic where we, who have enjoyed Ina Garten & cooking, growing herbs, having fun cooking, can share new recipes we've just discovered that are keepers, give each other tips when one of us is having a brunch/dinner/simple supper for friends, and needs some suggestions for what to serve, flowers to put on the table, wine to pour, etc. And, most importantly, be welcoming to newcomers.  I've always enjoyed the conversations we've had over at TWOP and don't want everyone (who has hung in there!) to disappear on 5/31...know what I mean?And it would be fun to reel in some of these many "viewers".  I was so happy when we were given the link to previously.tv by the TWOP moderators and have really enjoyed being here. Previously.tv moderators, fellow posters...what do you think? 

• Love 1
(edited)

Annzeepark914, I think your idea sounds perfect!  In the first place, I was confused when I came here for ten or so times what the difference was between the first topic and this "Don't Tell Jeffrey" topic.  No offense to the author, but I still don't understand what not to tell Jeffrey.  Maybe I'm just slow.

I'd love to see the first topic continue as "Small Talk" or "General Chatter" and this topic be changed to "Recipes and Entertaining."

Another idea, since "Small Talk" can be about anything, might be titled "Old Episodes," where we can give kudos or snarks to all of the reruns we're enduring.  Or it could be called "Episodes, Old and New" and include remarks about her new shows when they come along.  I think these suggestions might make BC less confusing and more organized, especially for new folks coming in for the first time.

Edited by Lura
(edited)

I think traffic will pick up once TWoP closes, plus, if you look at the people who regularly post on TWoP  for Ina, it's a small number. There are tons of shows folks who are watching on TV view that don't know about or have nor have any interest in finding a discussion forum.

I really like that there is a place where we can be "off topic" here at previously.tv and not get our hands slapped for it. I think this thread will be fine.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 2

@annzeepark914 I called it Small Talk: Don't Tell Jeffrey because Ina says "Don't tell Jeffrey" all the time. If you look in our other forums all the Small Talk topics have some sort of jokey bit after the topic title, that's just the one we picked for this show. The pinned post at the top of every page in here indicates that it's a "small talk" topic, for non show specific talk. A social topic. @Lura there is also an old episodes topic here  and a recipes topic here. I can remove the "Don't tell Jeffrey" if you all really think it's confusing but since there's a pinned post I don't really see how it would be. 

• Love 3

I can remove the "Don't tell Jeffrey" if you all really think it's confusing but since there's a pinned post I don't really see how it would be.

I don't think it's necessary, precisely for that reason, and "Don't Tell Jeffrey" gives me a chuckle each time I see it.  That we have Small Talk (aka "Meet Market") threads for every forum here is one of my favorite things about this site, btw.

Any Mother's Day adventures?  I had a wee bit too much fun Saturday night - movie night at a friend's house, which always involves a lot of laughs and a lot of liquor - so picking my mom up at 9:00 for breakfast was quite painful, but a little hair of the dog and a nice egg-white omelette and I was good to go.  My mom's knees prevent her from walking very far (she's having the first of two knee replacements at the end of the month), so instead of then taking in a museum or such as per normal, we just went back to my parents' house and watched the Murphy Brown marathon on Encore.  I didn't include any Ina recipes with dinner this year, and in fact cooked perhaps the world's easiest meal (per Mom's request) -- filet mignon simply seasoned (garlic salt and Montreal steak seasoning) and tossed on the grill, kale sauteed with garlic, and baked potatoes (which I don't eat, so I had some leftover mac & cheese). 

• Love 3

Bastet, your post gave me a lump in my throat.  If I were trying to get around on two bad knees, and my daughter grilled me a filet mignon and baked potato dinner, I'd feel like the world's luckiest mom.  With butterflies in your stomach left over from Movie Night, you deserve extra credit.  Ummm, my back has been bothering me.  Where did you say you live???  :)

• Love 2
(edited)

Heh.  I usually try out a new-to-her restaurant for our breakfast and get more creative with the dinner, but this year I've just been so tired and stressed that I waited until mid-week to call and ask, "Where do you want to go for breakfast?  What do you want for dinner?"  And, probably in deference to my energy level, she picked old standbys for both.  It's just usually much more about me putting some effort into putting together a low-key but thoughtful day for her, and this year felt more perfunctory; quite honestly, my hungover self's first thought upon the alarm blaring was, "Oh god, I hate Mother's Day."  (I'm not a morning person under the best of circumstances, so getting up early on a Sunday for anyone feels like hell.)

And then I forgot to tell my dad (who handles the grilling) what we were having, so got a rather blank look when I asked, "Have you lit the charcoal yet?"  But everything was still done on time, so it worked out.

Incidentally, cooking is not among my dad's many areas of expertise (if it can't be tossed on the grill or zapped in the microwave, he's clueless as to how to prepare it - you should see what he eats when my mom is gone) and their neighborhood doesn't have much to offer in the way of good restaurants that deliver, so I'll be a busy bee during my mom's recuperation making up dishes my dad can just portion and reheat.  It's good I live less than ten miles away.

They adopted a cat from the shelter last June who needs twice-daily medication, and while Chester is incredibly attached to my mom and reasonably happy with me when I kitty-sit during their vacations, he is just now really bonding with my dad.  We'll see if my dad having to be the one to medicate him for awhile sets them back or strengthens it.  (Their other cat follows my dad around like a shadow, so he'll be fine with my mom being less involved for a bit.)

Edited by Bastet

My 5-year old gave me a mason jar painted with chalkboard paint with flowers in it that she made at daycare. So cute! And my husband had a triptych of her framed, that my older stepdaughter made for me. She takes photography at school and has a fantastic eye -- we never see her projects until much later because they're always picked for the display case.

My actual day was like any other Sunday. I was out of town last week and my husband didn't do any laundry, so there was a mountain of it to get through. I made chili for dinner (perfect since it snowed -- yes SNOWED -- here yesterday and it's still coming down) with chicken and quinoa that was really good. And super-easy, since it was a crock pot meal. Then I whipped up dinner for tonight and stuck it in the fridge since it is my mother-in-law's birthday today (she lives with us) and my husband's brother is coming over tonight. I have to get the little one to swimming lessons this evening. 

I'm interested to see how dinner comes out. It's a favorite casserole for all of us, but I tried it with homemade cream of chicken soup instead of the canned stuff. I hope it's good. I would feel so much better using homemade stuff like that (I used 2 percent milk and whole wheat flour, and the consistency was about the same), and the recipe I found was super easy and I had the equivalent of 2 cans of soup done in about 20 minutes.

• Love 2

Thanks, Lazy Toaster, it was great! It was my first experiment trying to do something homemade like that, so I had no idea what to expect. But it was so yummy! No more canned stuff for us. I've been really trying to make healthier foods for my family. My husband was recently diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes so I've been doing a lot of experimenting.

I've been doing that too. Simply removing processed food when I can has to be an improvement.

I've also been making vegetable soup a lot. I take some to work for lunches. That way I am not eating the type of food that is easy to get for a quick lunch.

As I type, my kitchen is gutted and awaiting the shiny new cabinets and appliances!  I can't wait to prep food on the 18 square feet of space on my island!  I'm trying to decide what to cook for the inaugural meal in my new digs!  Any suggestions from the ol' Ina playbook?  I live in the midwest, so I love meat, especially the lesser used, weird cuts like shanks, shoulder, cheek, etc.  The best thing I've ever made was root beer braised short ribs with sweet potato gnocchi.  I was thinking either that, or something with seafood-I am a shrimp lover first, crab lover second, lobster lover third.  I would also love to make a beautiful dessert to celebrate-I am more of a cake/torte person than fruit desserts like cobblers, crumbles, and pies, but love citrus desserts, too.  Also, I love cheese.  Like, LOVE CHEESE.  If it doesn't smell like someone died, I'm not sure I want to eat it, LOL.  I saw Martha make something like cheesy gougeres (spelling?) with pate a choux that sounded amazing.  

I think my problem is that I love food.  All food.  Too much!  So anything you guys could suggest would be fantastic!

• Love 1

Oh, I'm so jealous. We are in the very early phases of our kitchen remodel -- meaning, my husband (who will do most of it) is still ruminating and thinking things over. The kitchen is pretty small, without much room to expand. But there's a desk (aka crap catchall) in there that we'll lose, which will give us more space, and we're thinking about relocating the fridge.

I've always thought Ina's shrimp scampi recipe looks fantastic. I've never tried it, as I live in a house with a bunch of non-seafood people. And for dessert, I'm waiting for Thanksgiving to do this, but on Pinterest I found a recipe for Pumpkin Pie Truffles, dipped in white chocolate. OMG.

I tried making sweet potato gnocchi twice, and both times it was a huge disappointment. The first time I didn't realize you needed to let the potatoes cool completely before making them into dough and working with them, so it was a huge mess. The second time went a little better, but they still had the consistency of teeny tiny hockey pucks.

Ooh, new kitchens.  I recently did a lot of renovations to my house - new wiring, plumbing, roof, windows and stone walkways/porch front and back - but renovating the kitchen and baths will have to wait a few more years.  However, I couldn't do the rewiring without determining my future needs, so I wound up plotting out the new kitchen layout.  It took some doing, but I finally hit on the perfect way to add an island with a cooktop AND a good amount of counter space for prep work.  I like to be able to prep ingredients next to the stove, but right now I've got to slice and dice next to the sink, then turn around and transport things to the stove six feet across the room.  I spend a lot of time cleaning my floor.

My dad helps me with all major projects - and, bless him, in adding new overhead wiring, he's the one who got up into the tiny and sweltering attic space while I worked from the inside - so I've got to get this done before he's too old to build my cabinets and help me install them.  (My woodworking skills are good, but his are excellent, so he has been elected.)

Queasy-bo, this is the recipe I used, I think the ricotta helps with the chewiness?:  http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Sweet-Potato-Gnocchi-with-Brown-Butter-and-Sage-233379

I also have a smaller space for my kitchen, but we took down the wall between the kitchen and dining room, and even though the kitchen footprint didn't change at all, it feels bigger, but also gives me more options.  My kitchen before had 3 doorways leading into it, so it was a bit of a nightmare logistically.  One thing that helped me as I was also "ruminating" was going to each of the big box stores and requesting them to do a layout and quote for me with several different layouts.  Then I could take it home and visualize it in the space.  I started with trying to use the most efficient kitchen setup-the U, but that didn't QUITE work, and settled on an L with an island in the nook of the L.  I was also thinking about doing a peninsula, which I've seen Sarah Richardson do many times on her HGTV show for small kitchen spaces.   I will also have a large wall space where I think I'm going to try to do an open pantry kind of look, but need cool shelving to pull it off.

Bastet, I feel your pain-I once rented a place with that same setup, which is the reason why all of my cutting boards are massive.  I didn't want anything to fall off on the long journey to the stove!

Good idea on the shrimp scampi.  It's simple, but super elegant and delicious.  And easy!

Bastet, I feel your pain-I once rented a place with that same setup, which is the reason why all of my cutting boards are massive.  I didn't want anything to fall off on the long journey to the stove!

I have very little counter space next to the stove thanks to the microwave, so if I go too big with the cutting board I'm in trouble once I get over there.  The size of the kitchen is great, and it looks like it has a bunch of open space in the center that ought to have a nice island in the middle of it.  But with where the cabinets are placed, the available floor space is actually just a bit too small to accommodate a proper-sized one with adequate room to walk around (I hate kitchens where walking between the island and cabinets feels like passing through a cattle chute).  So figuring out how to revise things in order to clear up space without sacrificing storage was what took some time, but I finally hit on it. 

My kitchen before had 3 doorways leading into it, so it was a bit of a nightmare logistically.

Mine also has three doors (it connects to the service porch, the dining room and the study), but with mine that's actually one of the things that works best about it and gives it a great eating nook.

Have fun with the kitchen remodels!  I am still dreaming about mine.  The only way I will get my dream kitchen is if I can pay for it myself as my husband will not.  If he had to cook in this kitchen he'd quickly realize the need for a new one.  I have a Jenn Air range, which means I have only two burners and a grill we never use because it is a pain to clean and a tiny oven.  I also have just a tiny space next to the stove that is my main prep area.  The idiot who built the house decided that it was a great idea to put the stove and the refrigerator opposite each other, so any time someone wants in the fridge while I am trying to cook results in a traffic jam.  Oh, and did I mention that the dishwasher is right in the middle of the work triangle?  Men who don't cook should not be allowed to design kitchens.  I have my dream kitchen planned out, but no money to make it a reality. 

One year for Thanksgiving I planned three different items that all needed to be baked, forgetting about the limitations of my "Easy-Bake" oven.  We had to regroup and rethink how to cook two of the items as baking a turkey or ham requires taking out one of the racks in the tiny oven.  The kitchen is the one thing that is sure to make me lose my temper and get me to start throwing things.  And I am normally a very calm and easy-going person.

So, I'll just have to dream about kitchens with more counter space and storage space and be happy for those of you who are able to make yours better!

orchidgal - you are the second person I've heard say their Jenn-Air only has 2 burners. I have a Jenn-Air that has 4 burners. I didn't buy it. It was in the house when we bought it. I was so happy to see a gas stove. The area we moved to doesn't have natural gas lines. We have an underground propane tank, which this past winter has been a pain because of the gas shortages and high costs, but I am happy for the gas range.

(edited)

Bastet, I love your family stories (including the cats in the family) and think you should start your own blog.  Keep us up to date on how your mother is doing, how your dad gets along with administering the cat medicine, etc., etc.

It's fun to read and interesting!

Orchidgal, I also think seriously that a strike is in order.  I think you need to develop a psychosomatic ache or pain (preferably more than one) that prevents you from bending over (the oven), reaching (stove to counter) or whatever suits the purpose.  Bottom line: He helps with cooking or does it all for a while.  Get a few good books, and head for your bed.

Without going into details, my husband has had to do most of the cooking in our house.  He learned fast how much of a chore it was.  He never complained, but that's because he's part angel.  I never would have wished this on him, but I'd wish it on anyone who doesn't understand.  They have to be taught, and IMHO, it's time for you to play teacher!  :)

Edited by Lura
I was so happy to see a gas stove.

Can I just say this is what I am the MOST excited about in my new kitchen??  Well, that, and a frigging dishwasher.  I have not had a dishwasher in 10 years (seriously not exaggerating).  I deserve to not wash silverware anymore!  The range I got was from Menard's, and it was surprisingly in my price range, with 5 burners, with 2 of the burners having a griddle that sits on them, but can also be used as burners.

One year for Thanksgiving I planned three different items that all needed to be baked, forgetting about the limitations of my "Easy-Bake" oven.  We had to regroup and rethink how to cook two of the items as baking a turkey or ham requires taking out one of the racks in the tiny oven.  The kitchen is the one thing that is sure to make me lose my temper and get me to start throwing things.  And I am normally a very calm and easy-going person.

We have the same problem, and we've started using a portable roaster for the thighs and legs (we totally deconstruct the turkey to keep the breast nice and juicy).I think you can find one for close to $50 or so.  One thing we also tried was putting the stuffing into 2 smaller pans instead of 1 big one-getting one started as soon as the turkey came out, then putting the other in as the other dishes came out, and by the time dinner started, everything was done. 

Well, that, and a frigging dishwasher.  I have not had a dishwasher in 10 years (seriously not exaggerating).

I, too, have been sans dishwasher for the almost nine years I have lived in this house (vintage 1938).  The dishwasher I had at my previous place, where I lived for eight years, was a piece of crap, but I now take back every profanity I hurled at it.  Because my lower cabinets and counters are not deep enough to accomodate a dishwasher, I can't put one in until I redo such things (I looked into smaller, portable options, but they seemed more trouble than they're worth).  At first it wasn't a big deal, but since I am someone who can't go to bed if there are dishes in the sink, it quickly became a chronic cause of grumbling.  The first night I can just load up the dishwasher and head to bed, I may actually weep with relief.

I do love my 1950s GE oven/range, however; the burners heat up really quickly (and one is a "sensi-temp") and there are two side-by-side ovens, one full-sized and one about 1/3 that size -- so easy to cook multiple things at once, and nice to be able to only heat up a small oven when that's all that is needed.  I refuse to consign that thing to the scrap metal heap when renovation time comes (and if it was possible to design a new layout around it, I would, but I just can't achieve what I want by keeping it); things were made to last back then, so I will search high and low to find someone who wants to give it a second life.

(edited)

We redecorated our kitchen but didn't remodel it.  As kitchens go, I can't complain, but I do wish I had my dream: a gas stove.  DH tells me that we don't have a gas line to the kitchen, so putting one in would involve digging up the yard and a few more headaches.  He's said that it's up to me, but I know he wouldn't look forward to all that work.  Thus, I'm pretty much stuck with the electric stove.

Years ago, when we were first married, we lived in a new apartment with a gas stove.  I loved it, and it spoiled me for gas stoves.  There's nothing like it for controlling the heat, although I see Ina pulling her pan off her  gas range quickly sometimes, so lowering the heat isn't as instant as I wish it were.  I guess I'll live with what I have.

Edited by Lura

Last year I was living in a house with a gas stove. It was my first place on my own, and the first time I had a gas range. It spoiled me. I've since moved to a "luxury" (or so it says on the sign outside the building) high-rise and now I'm stuck with electric. It serves its purpose but I still miss having gas (heh). 

I met someone a few years ago who didn't have access to a gas line. She bought an induction range, and absolutely loved it. She said it was very fast at heating things up, easy to control the temperature, and you don't have to worry about a hot surface. The only downside that I see is that you have to have metal pans, not anodized finishes. It was what I was going to buy for our new house if we didn't have a gas range.

Do you have a gas water heater?  Or gas powered furnace?  Basically, if you're paying a gas bill, you can have a gas range.  I hired a plumbing company to do mine, and he just drilled a hole for the gas connector, connected it to the main supply, and added some shutoff valves.  $250, he was here about 2 hours.

Gas is the shit.  Heh heh.

(edited)

Yeah, many people who already have a gas line into their house think running an additional line for a stove or other appliance is more complicated than it may actually be depending on the circumstances.  I find pros and cons to both electric and gas stoves, and when I renovate my kitchen the ease of cleaning a glass cooktop will probably tip the scales in favor of sticking with electric, but when I was running a gas line out to my new bonus room (which is attached to the detached garage) a few years ago, I went ahead and ran one to the kitchen just in case.  For me, it's extremely easy since I have a raised foundation house and thus have crawl space rather than a concrete slab underneath me (going underground to reach the bonus room simply required the extra step of digging a deep trench through the backyard and then I had to bore through the foundation into the room, but it required minimal effort as compared to the reward).

Edited by Bastet

When I moved into my house many years ago there was a electric coil type cooktop and two electric ovens. The previous owners must have thought that it was the "modern" thing to do when they remodeled, probably sometime in the 1970's. On the other side of the kitchen wall there was a gas heater so it was obvious that we had the capability. Sure enough the original gas hookup for the stove was right there behind the cabinets. I got rid of the electric as soon as I could.

However, for those who don't have gas coming into the house and need to stay with electric, I have been hearing really good things about induction. You get the clean glass top, but it's supposed to be responsive like gas and very fast to heat up. Also, the surface stays cool, only the pot heats up. They are a bit more pricey than regular electrics though.

I see hope for my future kitchen!  I also need a new refrigerator and a new dishwasher, so they'll have to come first, but eventually that gas stove may become a reality!                                                                                                                                                            

Also, I love cheese.  Like, LOVE CHEESE.  If it doesn't smell like someone died, I'm not sure I want to eat it, LOL.

@larapu2000:  This just cracked me up!  Thanks for the guffaw :>)

I grew up in a home with a gas stove/oven.  Then, as I moved around the east coast I ended up with electric stoves/ovens and missed cooking/baking with gas. In our last two houses we've had gas stoves with the gray thingamajigs (what the pot sits on?) and any little drop of water creates a stain. I was advised to polish the gray things with chrome polish (which I keep forgetting to do).  Next house I hope will be electric and I'll get to have that smooth surface that's easy to clean (and keep clean, I hope!)

Do you ever wonder what Ina wants?  Surely, there must be something.  Jeffrey wants his boat, but I'm led to believe that Ina has the final

word, and Ina says no.  I'd be very interested to know whether she has something on her wish list.