Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: County General Is Always Open

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

I was surprised that there wasn't already a board for ER, so thanks for adding my request for one, SilverStormm!  I started rewatching it a month or so ago and forgot how good it was in the early seasons.  

Really glad to see this forum, too. Thanks for launching it!

I went through a period where I HATED Sally Field (a favorite since childhood) because of her unfortunate time on ER. I also screamed - and scared my sleeping dog - when Tom Everett Scott (was that his name? Abby's brother) popped up on a Will and Grace episode.

Scars still run deep.

:)

• Love 1

I actually missed several of the early seasons, so those have been fun to watch for the first time.  It was right around the middle of the second season that I stopped watching (I was a teen and my parents didn't like an episode, so it was banned), then watched seasons 5 and 6 before losing interest.  I'd still watch, but it was no longer appointment tv and I didn't care if I missed episodes.  Echoing what WendyCR72 said, I definitely feel like the magic was lost once the core 6 characters were gone and it just wasn't the same with the newbies.

• Love 1

Really glad to see this forum, too. Thanks for launching it!

I went through a period where I HATED Sally Field (a favorite since childhood) because of her unfortunate time on ER. I also screamed - and scared my sleeping dog - when Tom Everett Scott (was that his name? Abby's brother) popped up on a Will and Grace episode.

Scars still run deep.

:)

I remember hoping that they would find him dead. How terrible was I that I wished that?! He just annoyed me.

• Love 1

They may have already been showing them, but I noticed that Pop Channel is going to be airing 'ER' starting with the pilot episode tomorrow morning.  The channel's website says 'starting Monday', but I don't know if that's an old ad or new.  It could be that if they are just beginning to show it, they'll show several on Saturday and then begin airing at a fairly regular time on most weekdays--they look like one or two episodes each weekday beginning at 2 or 3pm CST.  Anyway, I'm excited because I haven't seen any episodes in years.  I've already set my DVR for a series recording.  

• Love 3

I'm taping them too! Forgot how much I loved this show, used to watch all the time when my kids were little, after they went to bed but I never finished the entire series. I think I watched through the 8th season. I remember that Benton used to get on my nerves, but now all these years later, he doesn't seem so bad after all. Maybe I've mellowed out now I'm in my 50's. I also loved watching William Macy on here, and wish he'd been a regular. Doesn't look like Anthony Edwards had too much of a career after he left this show. 

• Love 2

I am loving watching the reruns again on Pop. Thank you, thank you. I never could understand why someone didn't pick this up when TNT stopped. Many people never saw this show and it has so many characters that went on to be stars. George Clooney, Julianna Margulies, Mariska Hargity, not to mention all the guest stat roles like Sally Field. I have a series recording going too but I only found it with the last 3 episodes of Season 1, it is now in Season 2. I remember so many scenes like it was yesterday. I am a happy camper.

• Love 2

To be fair, the ratings on TNT, by the end of its run there, were dreadful and when they tried with ION, it was much the same. WB stayed demanding big money for the rights that no one else was going to pay given the return.

Pop probably got a great deal on the show, given how long it's been since it was in US syndication and still hasn't gotten a streaming deal, and their channel is entirely built on nostalgia binging now, with day of ratings not being so important to them.

Edited by Sticker Shock

I think the reason why ER didn't do good numbers on TNT/ION is simple: The show, for all of the medicine, was heavily serialized. And since that usually means investment, as in watching regularly to keep up, it usually means low numbers in syndication. Non-serialized shows - a la the CSI, Law & Order, and NCIS franchises - seem to do better because the cases/issues are normally self contained. Serial elements may still occur on the periphery, but not so much that one has to watch on the regular. Those shows are designed for folks just turning on the TV when bored, etc. 

But I will admit that I am surprised that ER has yet to stream. That would solve the above issue: Watch as much as one wants in one sitting, a little or a lot. All I can guess is what was said above: Maybe WB is greedy and is still asking too much. Pop may not be concerned with "day of" ratings. But I am curious if the show is faring any better having had such a long hiatus from being aired.

I would love to see all of the series 'St. Elsewhere'.  I've forgotten so much about that show, but I loved it when it was on (I'm still torn about the ending--it was frustrating, but kind of clever).  It looks like only the first season was ever released on DVD.

I would also really, really love to see 'older' medical dramas again.  I did catch most of 'Marcus Welby, MD', when CoziTV showed them (they skipped a few episodes for some reason, but I caught most of the others).  I was also able to watch some episodes of 'The Bold Ones: The New Doctors' (John Saxon, E.G. Marshall, and David Hartman), before the channel stopped showing them.  I want to see 'Emergency' (I think some episodes are on youtube), 'Medical Center' (Chad Everett!), 'Quincy, M.E.', etc.  

• Love 1

I would love to see St. Elsewhere. I only saw bits of it because I was kind of young but I was generally familiar with it.

I once caught an episode of Emergency I think on TV Land. The weird thing was it was an episode I remembered from when I was really little that involved a boy who got stuck under a coffee table. It was not the major focus of that episode but maybe it stood out since I was a small kid when I watched it and that might have seen like a real concern to me.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, desertflower said:

Does anyone else ever notice a slight audio sync problem on Pop? It's not every episode but I've noticed it a few times.

It happened in the middle of Love's Labor Lost.  I was so annoyed!  I haven't noticed it in any other episodes, but a lot of them I just have on as background noise, so it could happen without me noticing.

• Love 1

I haven't noticed an audio problem, but I have a problem with pixelating sometimes, but on other channels besides Pop.  It might be my cable connection (or my cable box), but it just happens on some channels and not others.

• Love 1

I've noticed an occasional problem on Pop with the audio where the words do not sync exactly right. And then have had a few times where the video gets a bit dark and then comes back correctly (which may be a local issue).

• Love 1
On 4/17/2017 at 2:44 AM, WendyCR72 said:

I think the reason why ER didn't do good numbers on TNT/ION is simple: The show, for all of the medicine, was heavily serialized. And since that usually means investment, as in watching regularly to keep up, it usually means low numbers in syndication. Non-serialized shows - a la the CSI, Law & Order, and NCIS franchises - seem to do better because the cases/issues are normally self contained. Serial elements may still occur on the periphery, but not so much that one has to watch on the regular. Those shows are designed for folks just turning on the TV when bored, etc. 

But I will admit that I am surprised that ER has yet to stream. That would solve the above issue: Watch as much as one wants in one sitting, a little or a lot. All I can guess is what was said above: Maybe WB is greedy and is still asking too much. Pop may not be concerned with "day of" ratings. But I am curious if the show is faring any better having had such a long hiatus from being aired.

I just looked it up: the 5 PM airing, at least, is doing about 200K viewers and making the top 150 in cable overnights lately  -- they focus more on the numbers that include DVRing, but that's really good for Pop.

Edited by Sticker Shock
  • Love 1

I just saw a post on 'The Librarians' Facebook page that Eriq LaSalle is directing an episode of that show this season.  There is a photo of LaSalle and Wyle with the caption: '20 years later and I still get to torment and boss Noah Wyle around.  This time as a director.'  

• Love 7

Has anyone else noticed that Michael  Crichton's name (as producer) is misspelled every once in a while in the closing credits?  Sometimes it's correct, and sometimes it's written as 'Chrichton'.  I guess it was misspelled one time, corrected, but then the same name wrong card (?) was used sometimes.

• Love 1

just watched the 2nd to last episode of season 2 of Chicago Med--which was directed by Eriq LaSalle. I knew it wouldn't happen but would have been cool if a character had mentioned possibly calling in that surgeon Dr. Benton for a consult. . .

• Love 3

I've been reading the complaints on Pop Channel's FB page from viewers who are ticked off that they stopped after season six and started over.  Lots of complaints, but some entertaining comments as well.  Pop had a promo for their airing of 'My best friend's wedding' and someone asked if they were just going to show the first half of the movie and then stop.  For the promo of 'The Devil's advocate' (starring Keanu Reeves) someone posted that Keanu wants to see the rest of the seasons of 'ER'.  Funny!

• Love 3

I had forgotten how good this series was, especially that first season.  Just watched all of the Saturday repeats ending with Love's Labor Lost, and it was as powerful to watch now as it was when it first aired.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, woodstock said:

An ER revival?

I don't know about this.

Noooooooo!  I couldn't even watch it with the almost complete cast change in the final seasons.  The magic was in the casting of seasons 1-6.  Ditto "The West Wing", also mentioned for a revival!

• Love 2
58 minutes ago, jjj said:

Noooooooo!  I couldn't even watch it with the almost complete cast change in the final seasons.  The magic was in the casting of seasons 1-6.  Ditto "The West Wing", also mentioned for a revival!

I could do West Wing if it was the same cast but I don't think Sorkin will do it. Don't know what I think of an ER revival

• Love 1
3 hours ago, cpcathy said:

sI always wondered why Anthony Edwards didn't work more, he really was great as Mark Greene.

I seem to recall it was his choice.  When he left ER, his wife, Jeanine Lobell, had just sold her makeup line, Stila, to Estee Lauder.  As part of the deal, she joined EL as an exec for at least a couple years.  This necessitated a move to the East Coast and, as I recall, AE was looking forward to being stay-at-home Dad to their 4 kids.  He also made a bundle on ER and probably has the luxury of picking and choosing his projects.  And, obviously, his wife also has a very lucrative and successful career and he's obviously quite supportive of her.

ETA: Stila makeup is really quite nice, IMO.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 1

Eriq La Salle was also in Logan. I was surprised to see him in the credits at the beginning because I totally did not recognize him in the trailers, though I thought he looked familiar.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Automne said:

Eriq La Salle was also in Logan. I was surprised to see him in the credits at the beginning because I totally did not recognize him in the trailers, though I thought he looked familiar.

Who remembers Eriq LaSalle way before ER in Coming To America as the would-be suitor of the woman Eddie Murphy's prince character was in love with? Complete with Jheri curl!  :-)

• Love 4
16 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

All I remember about Erik (whoops, I mean "EriQ") is his allegedly huge choking tongue - "like trying to swallow a steak" as his kissing costar lamented.

Wonderful ... another image that will probably be stuck in my mind forever :)

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, BigBeagle said:

Wonderful ... another image that will probably be stuck in my mind forever :)

I read it on TWoP,  a long time ago, and apparently it was burned into the back of my retinas.  So sorry.  :-(

On 5/24/2017 at 9:21 PM, BooksRule said:

Has anyone else noticed that Michael  Crichton's name (as producer) is misspelled every once in a while in the closing credits?  Sometimes it's correct, and sometimes it's written as 'Chrichton'.  I guess it was misspelled one time, corrected, but then the same name wrong card (?) was used sometimes.

ahh!  I thought I was the only one. 

2 hours ago, ktwo said:

After seeing Marquez on her episode of Intervention, I consider her an unreliable narrator.

Marquez does have significant mental health issues, I hope she is doing ok, but, unless other women from that era step forward, I'd be somewhat skeptical of her as the only complainant.  Considering the large number of women in both lead and supporting roles, surely there are others who would be able to corroborate her accusations.  

• Love 1

Just on discovered ER has started streaming on Hulu! Its featured, so it has to have began streaming recently. I have been rewatching sporadically through DVDs from the library but it will be so nice having the episodes on demand and being able to watch without having to worry about getting the DVD's back on time!

• Love 1

^^It just started today.

Upon hearing the news Clooney stated: “It was such an honor to be a part of this show. I was lucky to have worked with so many writers, actors and directors all at the top of their game. Most importantly I’ve made friends for a lifetime. I’m excited it will finally be streaming on Hulu.”

http://deadline.com/2018/01/er-hulu-streaming-warner-bros-television-george-clooney-julianna-margulies-1202242797/

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, justduckey said:

^^It just started today.

Upon hearing the news Clooney stated: “It was such an honor to be a part of this show. I was lucky to have worked with so many writers, actors and directors all at the top of their game. Most importantly I’ve made friends for a lifetime. I’m excited it will finally be streaming on Hulu.”

http://deadline.com/2018/01/er-hulu-streaming-warner-bros-television-george-clooney-julianna-margulies-1202242797/

Thanks for the news! If anyone has Sprint, they are offering Hulu for free. 

Also, from the article: 

“The drama reached iconic status and helped launched the careers of  George Clooney, Noah Wyle, and Julianna Margulies.”

Anyone else have the “One of these things is not like the other…” song running through their head now?