Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E14: Guilty

Fusco's Hell Yeah speech at the end was made of all kinds of awesome.   "I get to decide what I am willing to die for."   YES.    Nobody is forced into the gang but everyone believes in the cause.   Reese does not get to limit that.  

• Love 14

She was in the courthouse on unrelated business, fixing something or other, saw John and decided to do some pro bono work.

Speaking of Zoe, this is at least the second case she is in that involves a greedy corporation deciding to let people die in order to secure super profits. Even though when people actually do die, the profits will disappear anyways. Come on, writers.

Edited by shura
  • Love 1

Zoe!!!! It’s always so good to see Paige Turco; she just SLAYS in this role, and she has good chemistry with Jim Caviezel (and boo to John/Zoe apparently being done for a while). Zoe, like Elias and Root, really elevates the show when she’s on--I know Turco’s dance card is already overfull, but I wish we could get her back more. It’s amazing how much she livens John up. His hearteyes when he looks at her never fail to make me chuckle.

I liked this episode and it was a good breather after the very heavy last 5-6 episodes, but I do have one major gripe: I HATE the Reese/Iris potential hookup. I know Reese is good-looking, but come on, show, can we not have the cliché of the female psychologist who falls for the handsome, wounded patient, skirting a very ethically gray area in the process? And it was so incredibly clunky when Zoe had to lay that out for John/the audience--like, if you have to write that kind of exposition, you haven’t set up your “twist” very well to begin with. Also, shallowly, Turco and Caviezel have better chemistry. In fact, Caviezel had better chemistry with the new captain, where has she gone? (Though that would be an ethically problematic attachment as well, don't get me wrong!)

The case part of the episode was oddly paced, and I saw the whole “actually, the number is supposed to make sure he’s found guilty” “surprise” coming from a mile away. I actually thought it was pretty out of character that Reese, Finch, and Zoe all just assumed she was going to try to say Not Guilty. That’s too close-minded relative to how they all usually are, I think; I was expecting Harold, at least, to say something like "It may be likely that she is trying to get a Not Guilty verdict, but we need to remain open to all possibilities." But I liked the woman who played the number. She was good in the balcony scene and then in her talk with Finch after, and she and Emerson had a nice rapport.

But for as clunky as I found the case stuff and as much as I dislike the psychologist storyline, I LOVED most of the character beats tonight. The poignancy of John looking into Missing Persons cases cannot be overstated, for example--I don’t think one has to be Freud to interpret that! And while I dislike where I think the storyline is going, as I noted above, I also do think it’s an interesting character choice, to have John be initially interested in someone because they MAKE him open up. And asking for more sessions allows him to do that opening up in what feels like a “safe” way, because he "has" to. I can’t imagine it’s going to end well, but….

I enjoyed Harold’s instinctive “your life has value!” to the number lady, and the way he wanted to protect Fusco. Awww. I really want the writers to give Harold something really meaty and emotional to play in the back half.

I do wonder if John and Harold trying to keep Fusco out of the loop on their “side project”--and failing miserably--is setting up for him to officially come into the fold (though I agree that Fusco probably on some level knows and doesn’t want to know), or if it was just a one-off. I loved that whole subplot too; I totally understand where they were coming from, that inability to take another loss, but they WERE pretty damn patronizing to Fusco, and I loved that Fusco called them out on it, telling them that he made his choice a long time ago and they don’t get to make it for him. Good for him! I maybe slightly cheered at that. Somehow I just love Fusco to pieces these days. Finch and Reese’s opening conversation about loss was really good. This episode was a good breather, but was also very melancholy, hammering home just how much the team has LOST in the past year. Carter, Shaw, their identities/lives. The moment where John looked at Shaw’s (very conveniently placed!) passports was understated but well done.

That was Claire from 4x02 getting shot in the promo for next week, right?

ETA: I noticed Shaw is still in the opening title sequence, which surprised me. Between that and the show basically telling the audience they're not bringing anyone else in to replace Shaw in John and Harold's last conversation, it makes me surer than ever that there's a definite plan for Shahi coming back that, barring anything unexpected, we'll see.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 4

Fusco's Hell Yeah speech at the end was made of all kinds of awesome.   "I get to decide what I am willing to die for."   YES.    Nobody is forced into the gang but everyone believes in the cause.   Reese does not get to limit that.  

Agree!  And Kevin Chapman can make me feel so much for Fusco with so little.  Yeah, he's used for comic relief a lot, but he is a really good actor too.

• Love 4

This was clearly a transitional episode, to set up the return to the Elias/Dominic storyline as well as have some time passing with Root off doing God knows what.  But those bookend scenes with Harold and John were lovely - there may have been a lump in my throat when Harold said something like "It's just you and me again."

Fusco's Hell Yeah speech at the end was made of all kinds of awesome.   "I get to decide what I am willing to die for."   YES.   

As long as it doesn't foreshadow him actually dying!  Now that we know Shaw is definitely alive, I'm thinking back to Root's "There's no way all of us make it out alive" line in 4X5, and it makes me a little worried about the rest of the team - I mean, the POI writers could throw more than one curveball per season ...

I do have one major gripe: I HATE the Reese/Iris potential hookup. I know Reese is good-looking, but come on, show, can we not have the cliché of the female psychologist who falls for the handsome, wounded patient, skirting a very ethically gray area in the process?

Agreed.  I actually otherwise loved John's scenes with the psychologist - seeing him move towards the conclusion that pain and loss are part of life and living, and even if he's had more than his fair share, even if there've been too many devastating ones, shutting everyone out isn't the answer. 

Edited by wevel
  • Love 3

I loved Reese and the psychologist.  And he did as much "falling" as she did.  He's the one who came back after she said their sessions were over.  Zoe is ok as a plot device.  She gets stuff done.  I don't need her full time.

It was nice to see Blair Brown again (loved her in Fringe).

• Love 2

Very good episode.  Loved Fusco's speech at the end and the fact that John is finally more outward respectful for him.  It's been a while since Zoe has been on the show but she makes a very welcome return and works great with Reese and Finch.  Nice to see Blair Brown from Fringe.  I like how this show can pull back from one storyline (the battle of the machines) and return to a focus on the Elias/Brotherhood storyline.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 4

Kind of back to a regular POI episode now, which is probably needed.  And, it helped that the POI was played by Blair Brown, who is awesome.  Really loved the character and how she played off of Michael Emerson.  I hope she gets another teaching gig.  I called the twist early on (that it was the corporation that was forcing her and the not husband), but I still enjoyed watching them scramble, and Finch work the jury.

But I was really happy for the return of Zoe!  I'm glad Paige Turco was able to find time from doing The 100 to make a return.  I really do get a kick out of Reese/Zoe.  And, I agree with her that Reese will probably doom any other relationship he tries to pursue, even if he probably didn't want to here it.  I like Iris and Wrenn Schmidt, but, yeah: throughout all their scenes, I was just thinking "This is a bad idea, Reese.  You know it won't end well."

Loved Fusco standing up for himself, and telling Reese he is a part of this now, and they can't push him away just because of what happened to Shaw.  I'm glad that's out of the way, because he is too awesome to sideline.  I did like the begrudging smile Reese had after that.  He's slowly coming around!

I does seem like they're getting ready to bring back Elias/The Brotherhood soon.  We'll see where that goes, although I doubt I'll ever stop being Team Elias.  Scarface will be avenged!

• Love 5

Ugh, the Reese/Iris scenes were so squicky! I've been in therapy, which makes me hyper-aware of how horribly inappropriate it is for there to be flirtation between patient and therapist. If Iris can't handle having a patient that looks like that (and I'm not judging her for that), then she should send him elsewhere. And he shouldn't be seeing someone for treatment if he is having a romantic interest in her! Zoe's exposition moment actually would have worked really well if it had been a wakeup call for Reese, "Hey, I am starting to like this woman, maybe I should find a new therapist." The fact that he is continuing in sessions with her makes him seem kind of sleazy. (Plus I'm getting shades of Don Draper and Dr. Fay from Mad Men.)

Reese and Zoe together, though! I think we should all have science degrees after sitting through that much chemistry. When she was telling him "People like us are good for a night or a weekend," and he was looking down watching her play with his shirt buttons, that was awesome. No making out though. Boo.

Watching tonight's show without Shaw and Root, I can understand how one of my kids feels when they're home with me and no siblings around for some reason: "Finally, the interlopers are gone! Life is now how it should be." I hope Shaw stays dead and Root stays gone. Lots of great interplay between Reese and Finch. I've missed that.

• Love 6

Oh, this was lovely. Zoe visit, Blair Brown visit (I go back to the Days and Nights of Molly Dodd), and an actual case about people instead of the incomprehensible infighting of heavily-armed religious factions. It gave me a warm, fuzzy season 1 feeling.

• Love 3

I found the episode functional I guess, as a "filler" or "breather" episode, but ultimately uninspiring.  The actual case of the week stuff was pretty weak, in that I found it way too obvious that the new CEO was the one at fault.  Itmakes Finch and Reese and Zoe look a bit silly that they all just assume it was the husband right up until it was very nearly too late.  Given how easy it was to find the evidence about the unsafe radio towers (I mean Reese was able to hack the company's servers and find it...), it seems like a massive oversight that the team wasn't looking at all angles.  Obviously the demands of the plots dictated that they couldn't find the evidence too early otherwise they wouldn't have their surprise plot twist, but that just makes it seem like really lazy writing.  I might forgive it if this were another show, but I know this show can do way better with it's plotting (especially given how awesome the previous 4 episodes at least are).

PoI seems to have a huge reluctance to have the actual Person of Interest of the Week be the bad guy, so you can fairly safely bet that any leads towards them being the bad guy are false ones.  I don't even really know why they bother going for a misdirect.  It's not like we're expecting one, so why bother?  That way when they do eventually bowl a wrong-'un, we're really fooled by it.  That way they can save the screentime for more character beats, which are the saving grace of these procedural episodes.

The best parts of the episode were definitely the opening and closing scenes in the diner, and the moment between Reese and Fusco near the end.  Harold and Finch reflecting on the loss of Shaw and the unknown whereabouts of Root.  I liked the quiet acknowledgement of how close their little 'family' had grown together, and their reluctance to let anyone else get close in case it happened again.  But at the same time Fusco's refusal to let them dictate how he should be 'kept safe'.  I definitely see how Fusco would find that insulting almost, given how close he was to both Carter and Shaw.  One let him work his way back from a dark path, and the other saved the life of his kid.  I think Fusco would value the opportunity to continue Sameen's work as a way to honour his debt towards her, in spite of the extra risk becoming involved in the AI War that is brewing would carry.

Also, Shaw is going to be extra pissed that she missed the MMA Fighter number haha.  That case would seem like a perfect match for her.

• Love 4

Binge watched the last 5 episodes over the weekend. When this show wants to bring it, it can. And was very happy they let us know Shaw's fate. I'm Excited for the end of the season. But this was a filler EP, but I did watch this last night because I love Zoe. It was great seeing her, Reese and Finch working together. Curse The 100 for limiting her availability! Anway it would have been kind of a dull one without her.

I echo the uneasiness with Reese and Iris as a romantic pairing. He was all trying to keep Fusco away so he'd be safe and telling Finch no newbies, yet he's interested in someone who has no idea he's a vigilante working with a billionaire tech genius trying to take down an AI that's trying to take over the world? Because that can only end horribly. Either she becomes yet another person Reese loses (lame) or she is a plant, I'm thinking Brotherhood if she is. Doesn't make sense at all. Plus he still seems really into Zoe. He might have turned Zoe down, but he asked first what her plans were, and when she told him at the end not to be a stranger he seemed all kinds of interested. Maybe he'd like to see more of her but is hesitant given recent events? I don't know. I was convinced in the safe house he was ending it but then the way he looked at her when she left. That's wasn't a look of someone who's no longer interested. I'm all for Reese opening up and letting go some of his pain, but the whole "falling for your therapist" thing is just over done. I really hope that isn't where that's headed. ETA: She was a little to quick with the whole "you're not a cop" thing. I'm thinking she is a plant. If so, poor Reese will really have trust issues.

Edited by Trillium
  • Love 1

So, there was no Root in the episode? Should I watch it, was there any main plot progression at all? I barely survived Fusco's B-plot in the previous episode, so I guess I'll wait until things start to heat up and binge-watch the boring standalones then.

I do love Zoe, though. Guess this is the reason Abby was so conspicuously absent on last week's The 100.

Edited by FurryFury

A return to the show's original form -- just Reese and Finch teaming up to save a POI uninvolved in any global conspiracy.  It was bittersweet.

My thought process when Blair Brown showed up: "Oh, it's she!  Where do I know her from? She must be a Samaritan plant, or possibly a colleague of Control; she's too powerful and devious to just be a regular person.  Wait, it's Nina from Fringe!  Oh ... I guess she really is just an ordinary jury member."  Although it certainly could lead to an interesting cross-over.

I was squicked out too by the flirting between Reese and the psychiatrist -- way too unprofessional on her part.  Also, what are her ethical obligations if she works (at least part time) for the NYPD, and she realizes a police officer is an actual fraud?  Would she really say "I can tell you aren't a cop" and then go on to get to know him?  I know attorney-client confidentiality well, but not patient-psychiatrist confidentiality; does she have a duty to report a future or on-going crime?  And if she really is from a family of cops, wouldn't she be outraged at the idea of a cop-impersonator?  This makes me think either she is not what she seems or the writers are doing a very poor job with this storyline. 

Yay, Zoe's back!

Edited by beadgirl
  • Love 2

So, there was no Root in the episode? Should I watch it, was there any main plot progression at all? I barely survived Fusco's B-plot in the previous episode, so I guess I'll wait until things start to heat up and binge-watch the boring standalones then.

I do love Zoe, though. Guess this is the reason Abby was so conspicuously absent on last week's The 100.

FurryFury, unless you REALLY love Zoe, I think you're safe to skip this one. It was entirely case of the week--no Root, and the only connection to the serialized plot is basically John and Harold being sad about Shaw.
  • Love 1

The actual case of the week stuff was pretty weak, in that I found it way too obvious that the new CEO was the one at fault.

But it wasn't the new CEO who was behind the murder and jury tampering; it was the assistant to the dead woman. Or am I remembering it wrong?

I have been one of the people wanting the show to go back to Season 1 and the POTW cases. But after watching this episode, it all seemed rather...boring. I guess you really can't go home again. But it was nice to see that there are some aspects of life not connected to Samaritan.

I did love Harold talking about the government using a computer to spy on everyone and the judge and lawyers going oookay. Talk about hiding the truth in plain sight!

• Love 3

For me, the most wonderful moment was early on when Harold, trying to get out of jury duty, explained that it was all pointless because there was an artificial intelligence trying to take over the world.

And OF COURSE it was The Machine that made the guy's phone ring and the judge put Harold back on the case.

(And in the jury pools I've been in, they tend to steer away from people with a lot of education...so Professor Whistler might have been someone who was thrown out early, IRL).

And now we get to see what Molly Dodd's Days & Nights were like in the intervening years...Blair Brown. Always good to see her.

While it was a great relief to see a classic POI denouement saving the number, you have to wonder 1) how Team Machine got the info about the setup to the police & DA in such a way that THE VERY NEXT DAY the case was dismissed. While the jury-tampering was definitely a cause for a mistrial, unless the jury fixer immediately started spilling his guts about who hired him, they'd still have to at least investigate. And, since good old John (doing MUCH HIGHER grade work than a "helper monkey") cracked into the company's files and found the incriminating document...how the hell can that be admitted into evidence, ever?

I'm overthinking this...

But the quiet character moments and the actual growth shown by everyone continue to be amazing and heartening.

• Love 2

I think "You're not really a cop!" means "You are not emotionally and psychologically well suited for the job you're doing," rather than "You are impersonating a police officer!"

I'm not too happy about the budding romance and the little, awkward hug/shake/kiss ballet of indecisiveness performed between John and the shrink only make me think it can only end bad.  What sort of shrink would "sign off" on John under those circumstances anyway?  All the two of them ever did was sit in silence and stare at each other.  What little conversation there ever was consisted of John being evasive.  I hate the very idea of mandatory psychiatric counseling of any kind (because psychiatrists are all charlatans) but surely, if TPTB send John off to get some, the psychiatrist wouldn't sign off without seeing something that could be called progress?

Laying it down to Reese/declaring he decides what he dies for, then turning right around to arrest "Richie Rich"... A perfect scene that said everything about why I love Fusco.

I knew since the previews Harold would probably try to appear nutty to the Judge by talking about the machines but Michael Emerson is so good at what he does that I thought it was cute anyway. Same with the obligatory " your numbers up" joke.

My biggest complaint as of late is the lack of Reese/Finch interaction so I really enjoyed just sitting back and enjoying them. There were too many good exchanges.

• Love 2
I think "You're not really a cop!" means "You are not emotionally and psychologically well suited for the job you're doing," rather than "You are impersonating a police officer!"

If that's true, she must see a whole lot of "not cops" in her line of work. It's a really weird way to express the diagnosis, if you will. Besides, didn't she then asked him "Who are you?" or something like that? 

Is it at all realistic that a perp could identify a potential juror and then the juror would be able to get herself assigned to a particular case? I'm guessing not, but I don't know for sure. Because, if it were possible, then this whole threatening scheme could actually be effective. I don't really see a way out of it, save for Finch's intervention.

Edited by shura

Well he's no Lionel Fusco or Danny Reagan ;-)

I think she's picked up on the fact that he's had another life, or done something else. And that's something that John carries with him. It would be interesting to see the backstory The Machine gave his identity: whether there actually is military or intelligence background in THIS persona. (You also have to wonder what kind of fake resume they gave Shaw, when The Machine made her a perfume spritzer).

• Love 3

I'm just starting to watch, but the use of the jurors' names is distracting. Names are never used. It's Juror number one, alternate one, etc.

Go, FUSCO!

Seeing how I had jury duty this past October, that grated so much. I remember the judge telling us we would always be referred to as our numbers for our safety.

And "Go Fusco" can never be said enough, I'm such a fan girl for him. That speech was a long time coming.

• Love 2

Fun little episode after so many emotionally draining ones. We needed this, especially if we're going to get into Elias/Dominic territory again (pretty glib stuff) and, of course, more Samaritan shenanigans.

The opening scene was reminiscent of the classic Eggs Benedict scene; Reese and Finch re-establishing their relationship and their commitment to the mission and their martyrdom. 'It's just you and me again, Mr. Reese'. And the closing scene was a more optimistic version of it; they can't do it alone. And they're not alone. Not yet. They have Fusco, who is all in, and, more importantly, they have each other. Expanding on that, I think it's amazing how Reese sees himself and Finch as a unit. When he says "we cant do this alone" he means the two of them together. Like that's a given; Reese and Finch are it, and everyone else is an add-on. Because he's only done this with Finch. After Finch. But Finch corrects him; "that's why I hired you". Finch was doing this before Reese. With that one guy we saw, and possibly with others too. And Finch truly has been alone. So he knows very well that help is welcome, and even needed. Wonderful character moments for Reese and Finch last night and I loved every single one. My favourite? Finch nagging Reese about Zoe. 'Jooooohn'. Or Reese and Finch joking in Morse code. Or "Give'm hell Harry!" "Don't call me that". Aw. I had missed their one-on-one dynamic.

I also loved everything that had to do with Fusco. Of course Reese and Finch would want to protect him, because he wasn't not all in, not like they were. Or so they thought. And Reese even told Fusco to stop snooping in a kind of nice way. He didn't even say something snarky, he was just sad and exasperated and said 'Lionel just don't, okay?'. I do love how the writers have taken the time to figure out how each plot development will affect the characters. As I had said last week, after losing Shaw Fusco himself was overprotective with Silva and Reese with Root. Now that Root is gone too, Fusco is all they (Reese and Finch) have left and they can't take that chance. And, frankly, as a viewer I feel the same.

But, of course Fusco knew what was really going on. And he had something to say about it (Kevin Chapman really brought it in that scene, as always). And, moreover, he got through to Reese, as JC's teary eyes showed (incredible moment, by the way). Reese and Finch aren't the only ones willing to die helping people. And they're not the only ones who have lost people. And, I may be projecting, but maybe that made Reese feel a little better. Shaw, and Carter before her, died (or 'died', in Shaw's case) doing what they had to do. Protecting their own. They made their choice. Just like Fusco, just like Finch, just like Reese himself. We all make our choices. I think Reese understands that now.

Blair Brown was fantastic and is still so beautiful. I, too, was a fan of Fringe (a show I actually find pretty compatible with/similar to PoI, in many ways) and I had a blast seeing her again. She had some lovely moments with Michael Emerson. The character wasn't that realised on paper but she brought all the emotion necessary. I really felt for her. And apart from the more somber moments, I thought Harold trying to get out of making smalltalk with her early on was hilariously rude. Sometimes you forget that he chose to be a recluse.

It was also great to see Zoe again. I agree, Paige Turco sure knows how to bring it and she and Jim Caviezel have great chemistry. I want to say that It's been so great to see so many female recurring characters back now that we don't have Shaw anymore (or Root, in this episode at least). I did love how Zoe immediately got to work, spotted Reese before he spotted her, and was able to suss out the jurors on the spot. This is her job, after all. And I also loved the nods to their 'relationship'; 'been a while' was especially fun.

As for Reese being interested in Iris? I don't know. I had noticed the cuteness between them (I recall an "are you stalking me, Iris? that made me laugh) but I'm no Zoe, I hadn't realised the full extent of it. Or were we meant to assume she was wrong and Reese was just still reeling from losing Shaw? Personally I think it's the former. Zoe had to rain on his parade though. And she wasn't wrong. Poor Iris had already gotten caught in a shootout because of Reese. But then, it seemed that Reese did  want to let Iris in a little. Maybe Zoe hasn't figured John out completely. Maybe they're not exactly the same.

For the record, I find Iris adorable. I loved Wrenn Schmidt on Boardwalk Empire and it's been a joy to see her on PoI. I liked that we got a little insight into her personality, as well as into her view of Reese. She was revealed to be more perceptive that we (or Reese) thought ('you're not  cop'), as well as less helpless (Reese sure perked up when she said she had graduated from the police academy). And, of course she thinks he's attractive and she was a little disappointed when he returned for regular sessions (and not to maybe ask her out), but she also knows him well enough to know that he's only mostly sane and that he does need therapy (and, hey, didn't Zoe once say the same thing?).

They are kind of cute together, I think. Awkward Hug Reese was the best, and I like their interactions. "Cute" and "awkward" are the main adjectives I seem to use but is that so bad? Also, Jim Caviezel is such a good actor. The way his eyes lit up when he and Iris were talking about fun and, let's face it, violent childhood memories? And the way his eyes dimmed when he started talking about loss and about his past? Beautiful. And, frankly, I loved that the more Iris saw right through him and the stronger she was revealed to be, the more he seemed to like her. He didn't just see her as a docile damsel in distress. I love that Reese appreciates strong women. Of course it's ethically wrong and messy but hey, where else is Reese supposed to meet women? For a non-carnal-only relationship? I don't know how it will play out but for now I'm fine with it.

I agree that the twist in the trial was predictable, if only because there were a few obvious red herrings but no one had bothered checking them out and we were already halfway through the episode. The juror being the fixer was a better twist, and smart because it put Finch in immediate danger. I did like seeing Reese struggle with a well built, skilled opponent (PoI is different and it shows in the little things, like the fallibility of the protagonists). Of course Reese saved him, but punching a guy right as you're saving his life? Classic Reese.

'Loss is inevitable'. 'So is love'. Corny. 'Time for some new habits'? Better. 'He's like a fungus'? That's what I'm talking about.

Edited by Princess Lucky
  • Love 3

I really hope Iris isn't a plant.  And I think she was trying to be as professional as possible with him.  When she realized he was never going to really talk about anything she said she was releasing him from any further sessions.  And probably her feelings were starting to intrude so she felt it was better to let him go.  (I'm hoping that's how it was).  The talk about "you're not really a cop" happened when he showed up at her door unannounced (if I'm remembering that correctly).  I really liked that he is beginning to be comfortable again with someone normal.,  I don't see Zoe as normal, I guess, and I resent that she thinks they are so totally alike.  Sure, they share a history of sorts, and Jim Caviezel has such a smoldering look, I think it can be misinterpreted.

I keep thinking that the woman who was murdered who was shown only next to the name of her company had some sort of deeper meaning for POI-verse.  Was her company part of Samaritan's plans for domination alongside such things as the 3-D printers and Ant Farm Town?  Or was that to be another red herring?  I still feel the cold, dead hand of Pruneface pulling the strings.

Where the hell is Bear?  By now, he would be hungry and would definitely need walkies!   Is someone taking care of our favorite doggy?

• Love 3

I keep thinking that the woman who was murdered who was shown only next to the name of her company had some sort of deeper meaning for POI-verse.  Was her company part of Samaritan's plans for domination alongside such things as the 3-D printers and Ant Farm Town?  Or was that to be another red herring?  I still feel the cold, dead hand of Pruneface pulling the strings.

Yes, even though the episode seemed to be just a number of the week procedural, I kept expecting to see what was REALLY going on revealed.  :-)  Especially since the murder victim was  part of a high tech firm.

So is it okay for Harold and John to hang out together now in public?  I was a little confused by that.

ETA:  I'm not crazy about the ongoing therapy.  Maybe if they can keep it from becoming a romance...  the last therapy storyline I liked was on Numb3rs. 

Edited by tessaray

Breath of fresh air; I love the other episodes but this old style episode was so refreshing - go, Fusco!  Zoe is always a character I'm pleased to see - I wouldn't mind the very last scene of the entire series being it just the two of them again - Blair Brown, always a treat.  

• Love 1

Reese seems more Cartwright than Winchester to me, but his body count is much lower. As far as we know.

The best things I can say for the therapy storyline are: for once, seeking help is not dismissed as something for wimps and it gives Reese more scenes than he's had in 2 seasons.

I loved the return of original pair and the bookend scenes! That sort of structure and the scenes between Reese and Harold were two of the things I loved most in the first 2 seasons. I don't hate any of the other characters and I think the show needs more than just the two main characters, but this episode made me realize how much I missed those moments between Harold & John.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 5

So is it okay for Harold and John to hang out together now in public?  I was a little confused by that.

There's no reason why their current personas couldn't have met at some point...How do you know Professor Whistler? Oh, I went to hear him speak...he gave a presentation at a conference I attended. etc.

• Love 1

I loved this episode.  I loved Reese and Finch working together.

You go, Fusco.  I liked what he said to Reese, and I liked Reese and Finch's acknowledgement of the people they have lost since they started this.

• Love 2

Well played show, I was convinced that the entity manipulating Emma was Samaritan.  Maybe we'll find out that it was.

Nitpick (along the lines of using jurors' names): whenever I've sat on a jury, the foreperson was assigned by the court - s/he was simply the person first seated - as in 'seat 1' - not voted by the jury.

I had no idea that was Blair Brown - I haven't knowingly watched anything with her in it for years. And I would not have believed she's almost 70!  Red hair aside, she looks great - good for her.

I hadn't realized how much I missed the moments of just Reese and Harold.

Kevin Chapman has been doing a great job as Fusco from the start, but I was so glad to hear him tell Reese he gets to decide what he's into.  And I liked Reese's little almost visible respect at that moment.

• Love 1

Well played show, I was convinced that the entity manipulating Emma was Samaritan.  Maybe we'll find out that it was.

I thought it was Samaritan at first too, due to that juror being kicked out by having his phone go off and he said that he had completely turned it off and that wasn't even his ringtone (lol "Super Freak") and it opened a spot up for Harold.

I thought it was Samaritan at first too, due to that juror being kicked out by having his phone go off and he said that he had completely turned it off and that wasn't even his ringtone (lol "Super Freak") and it opened a spot up for Harold.

I think it's more likely to be the Machine, to make sure Harold gets a seat on the jury, so as to be close to The Number.

I think it's more likely to be the Machine, to make sure Harold gets a seat on the jury, so as to be close to The Number.

Now I'm thinking this was a 'proxy war' - Samaritan was involved with intimidating Emma and the Machine was involved in ensuring Harold was on the jury.

ETA: Finch Learns A Very Different Way To Hack Reality On Person Of Interest.

Edited by fastiller
  • Love 2
Nitpick (along the lines of using jurors' names): whenever I've sat on a jury, the foreperson was assigned by the court - s/he was simply the person first seated - as in 'seat 1' - not voted by the jury.

Ah, but the vote gave us a wonderful little scene, where the only juror to vote for the young business lady was the old guy Reese had been way off about, but Zoe had tagged correctly as a person who accepted the business lady as the alpha. He raised his hand so tentatively, clearly without much thought as to why he is voting for her. And I thought "damn, Zoe is good!" I loved that scene. 

• Love 2
Even though when people actually do die, the profits will disappear anyways. Come on, writers.

Some profits disappear, but usually not all.  Companies all the time make these kind of cost/benefit analysis and let things go through that could possibly hurt people, but end up making so much money in the meantime that when they are 'caught', the damages are usually a fraction of the profits.  See most drug companies.

I too thought Samaritan was somehow involved, given that the jury plant seemed to get his info very fast, as well as the fast acting way information was released to the media and the jury sequestered, without electronics.

Some profits disappear, but usually not all.  Companies all the time make these kind of cost/benefit analysis and let things go through that could possibly hurt people, but end up making so much money in the meantime that when they are 'caught', the damages are usually a fraction of the profits.  See most drug companies.

As John Rogers (creator of and writer for Leverage) would remind us "A fine is a price." Many large companies chalk it up as a cost of doing business.

Not when we are talking about the product actually causing people's deaths though. Pharma companies routinely and purposefully covering up deadly trial results is not really an established fact from real life, it's more in the conspiracy theory territory. I do see news of many pharma companies stopping clinical trials, shutting down R&D projects and even laying off people when dangerous side effects (not even deaths) are discovered. Big Pharma is all kinds of corrupt, but they are not cold-blooded killers.

I loved this episode. I loved Reese and Finch working together.

You go, Fusco. I liked what he said to Reese, and I liked Reese and Finch's acknowledgement of the people they have lost since they started this.

I also enjoyed the more back to the original show, love Harold and Reese solo. All that was missing was Bear! Edited by Texasmom1970

It was nice to have a feel-good old-school POI-of-the-week episode.  I haven't seen the actress who played the schoolteacher juror since her role on "Fringe" and she is just awesome, elevating that story since there wasn't much progress until the very end.  

I enjoyed seeing Zoe again as well.  Their whole strategizing was fun.

I liked seeing Reese open up, though I wish there didn't have to be romantic undertones.  Fusco's speech to Reese was good.  

Not sure how I feel about more Dominic and Elias.  It was nice not to have that, nor Samaritan and those annoying operatives for once.

Pharma companies routinely and purposefully covering up deadly trial results is not really an established fact from real life, it's more in the conspiracy theory territory.

I have a relative whose career involves dealing with the machinations of Big Pharma.  They routinely doctor the results of studies to get products approved, make hundreds of billions selling the product over the next 2-3 years, and pay off -- or preferably fight off -- the people their products have injured or killed.  Legal expenses, awards and settlements are an expected and accepted part of the price of doing business.  And a very minor part of the price, too.  Because the profits are so huge that the legal costs, etc, are only a drop in the bucket.

Also, if new cellular technology starts frying people's brains, the scapegoats who take the blame are most likely not going to be the executives who make huge personal gains by pushing that cellular technology.  And even if the liability eventually kills the company, the individuals who trouser big bonuses at the start will see the writing on the wall in time to resign and be unaffected by the crash that follows.  So they have no objection to proceeding with the rollout of the technology.

• Love 2