Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E14: Mother Nature

The family embark on a camping trip, but the kids aren't too excited about it. Meanwhile, Jesus' secrets are exposed; things get awkward between Callie and Brandon; Jude grows annoyed with how others treat him; and Mike invites Ana to move in with him.

Overall, I liked this episode. 

Thank God that Mike is not Ana's baby daddy. Can she just go away?

Lena keeps making the mistake of trying not to upset Stef, and then the beans are spilled and it happens anyway and worse because no one is honest with anyone unless they have to be.

Go, Jude for standing up for himself. Callie needs to lighten up and relax about Jude, he's not a baby.

I loved Mariana, she had some funny lines. 

Don't care about Brandon or Lou. Jesus is annoying.

I wish the kids wouldn't have been so glum and ungrateful about going camping and spending time together. Trips and vacations were never a priority in my family growing up, I would kill to have those memories and experiences. I've never been camping and would love to go.

• Love 5

Thank God that Mike is not Ana's baby daddy. Can she just go away?

I agree on both counts! Of course since this is The Fosters I wonder how long it will take before it is discovered that Mike is not Ana's baby daddy. My bet is 3. Does this mean the guy Mike killed is the baby daddy or some guy since then?

Pretty good episode.

- Glad they confirmed that Mike's not the father... I figured that would be the case, if so many characters suspected him, but I'm relieved they didn't drag it out forever. Hopefully it won't be too long before the Adams-Fosters find out.

- Really great stuff with Lena and Stef, of course. I love how they keep touching on the nice mama/cop mama stuff but it doesn't feel old.

- I'm happy Jesus broke up with Hayley but holy crap, it's like the actor was in a completely different scene. Like, you're breaking up with someone right now, they're crying and upset... and you're still doing that cool guy thing? Oh man, that was bad. Anyway, I'm surprised he so easily recognized that things were unhealthy between them. I wonder if this is it or if they'll go further with the emotional manipulation. Happy the family found out his tattoo.

- Callie was really going overboard with babying Jude... I don't blame him for snapping and calling her and Brandon out. What happened on this school camping trip continues to drive me nuts... "I had fun on my camping trip. Mostly." What does that mean? LOL!

• Love 1

I liked the episode overall.

I do think the Callie babying Jude storyline was kind of coming out of nowhere. At least, I felt it was a bit too extreme. But it was still kind of sweet and Jude got to stand up for himself and tell Callie and Brandon off.

Good thing Mike's not the father. I hope they remain friends and that's it, though.

The Stef/Lena stuff is always great; I really liked the conflict and how they resolved it. Stef talking to Mariana worked well.

The one thing that I think they keep missing out on is Jesus' point of view on, well, everything. Maybe it's due to Jake Austin's acting, but I feel like Jesus doesn't really get the meaty plotlines or diving deep into the ones he does have. Like Ana's pregnancy, we don't know what he thinks of it at all and it's all about Mariana again. Not that it's a bad thing, but I want to know if Jesus is happy for her, angry, sad, whatever. He doesn't really get moments with his siblings and when he does, they're two minutes scenes in the episode. At least he got some time with Brandon, though. And he broke up with Hayley; I doubt it'll last, because I still feel like they're going to an abusive relationship storyline, but it's nice to see him acknowledge how unhealthy she is for him.

Seriously, what happened on that goddamn camping trip?!?!

• Love 1

I don't care about Anna, so whatever to that plot, but I liked the rest. As much as Brandon annoyed me previously, I really like Older Brother Brandon, especially when paired with Jesus. Although he clearly loves him, you could tell he thinks Jesus is an idiot.

The one thing that I think they keep missing out on is Jesus' point of view on, well, everything. Maybe it's due to Jake Austin's acting, but I feel like Jesus doesn't really get the meaty plotlines or diving deep into the ones he does have. Like Ana's pregnancy, we don't know what he thinks of it at all and it's all about Mariana again. Not that it's a bad thing, but I want to know if Jesus is happy for her, angry, sad, whatever. He doesn't really get moments with his siblings and when he does, they're two minutes scenes in the episode. At least he got some time with Brandon, though. And he broke up with Hayley; I doubt it'll last, because I still feel like they're going to an abusive relationship storyline, but it's nice to see him acknowledge how unhealthy she is for him.

I think it's his acting, he has the same expression during almost every scene.

Jesus, your unstable girlfriend is crying over you breaking up with her. "CbtCXHf.jpg"

Jesus, your moms found out about your stupid tattoo. "CbtCXHf.jpg"

Jesus, you found out your bio-mother is pregnant. "CbtCXHf.jpg"

Jesus, you're struggling through a pill/diet thing. "CbtCXHf.jpg"

Jesus, everyone is fighting around you. "CbtCXHf.jpg"

Jesus, you're on fire. "CbtCXHf.jpg"

Edited by Luciano
  • Love 14

Glad Mike's not the father also.  I really didn't think he was once they showed him the first time we see him with Ana at his place, it just seemed too red herring. Kind of surprised  we found out he wasn't so quickly, which is ultimately a good thing.

Jesus has been having a little  'tude  lately, and there was one in that first scene with Stef.  Maybe it was because he was on edge because of that albatross Haley.  Man, she was getting on my nerves. For most of her time on the show she's bugged me. Glad he finally dumped her.

Ugh, do we have to see more Mariana dancing even on a camping trip?! 

Despite my negative snarking, I enjoyed the ep, lots going on.  Of course everyone was going to end up in that lake!   And camping, you can have it!  There are possibly bears around there, oh hell no! And I won't even start about any creepy crawly bugs running around. Give me a hotel room every time!  :)

When Jesus and Haley were walking out of his room, did they actually have Jesus say, "come on, I'll lead you out. Lead you out? Who says that?!!! I can see, "I'll WALK you out" but not LEAD. What is she, blind?!!    And I'm sorry, his kissing scenes always look awkward to me. Maybe he is a great kisser,who knows, but on camera? Nope. Now Brandon and Lou's kissage looked much more, well...real.  But Jake shirtless? Holy crap, amazing abs and chest. I feel like a lecherous old lady with my ogling. Eh, no I don't. I can look at the pretty!  He has a great head of hair too. And so neatly kept!

I had to laugh at that scene when you see morning in Stef and Lena's tent, then the camera pans to Haley in there too!  Didn't expect her in  there. :)

Edited by Valny
  • Love 2

- Really great stuff with Lena and Stef, of course. I love how they keep touching on the nice mama/cop mama stuff but it doesn't feel old.

I agree! I love the acknowledgement that their parenting styles are different, but they're both just trying to do what's best for the kids. I never get tired of watching Stef and Lena, even if they spend the episode fighting. The scene in the beginning with Lena twerking (she was good!) and Stef admiring her butt made me smile. They're incredibly adorable. Also, Lena trying very hard to get across to Jesus how mad she actually gets while they were in the car together. Loved it.

As for the rest of the episode, I liked Jude telling off both Callie and Brandon and that was found out that Mike isn't stupid enough to have knocked up Ana, thank God.

Oh, and Haley. Good lord. I feel like I shouldn't come away from a TV show wanting to punch out a teenage girl, but I did. She deliberately stirs up trouble and then wonders why nobody wants her around. Ugh. She's obviously going to steal Marianna's dance.

• Love 4

I liked that they spent more time focusing on the family dynamic.  There were two sour notes.  Austin's acting continues to be a problem.  He just has so little skill and is a scene killer.  And yet again Brandon's attitude is tiresome.  At least he apologized for his rude comment to Jude.  The rest was pretty good.  I guess Jesus and Emma will be back on.  I'd far more prefer Emma and Mariana.  Seriously that chemistry last week was off the charts.   

• Love 1
She's obviously going to steal Marianna's dance.

I knew it was a bad idea for Marianna to invite her to the team.  She may be a good dancer but she's kind of crazy.

I liked Jude telling off both Callie and Brandon

Me too.  I like Callie but she does baby Jude and has been doing it since the pilot.  He has a right to get mad.

I did like Callie and Brandon talking though.  I'm not a shipper or anything, I just liked that they had an honest talk about things being weird.  Last season they just kept pretending it never happened.

• Love 1

I do think the Callie babying Jude storyline was kind of coming out of nowhere.

I think that's because we haven't even seen them in a scene together in forever. That's one thing that's bugged me - I know there are a hundred main characters and a limited amount of time, but Season 1 Callie wouldn't let Jude out of her sight. Now, though, she seems to maybe say hi to him once every few days.

I love the way Stef and Lena fight. "Here is this problem about your personality! But I will also tell you how it is something I love and contributes to your good points also!" "I am angry to hear that, but I will stand here and consider it until I realize the truth in what you are saying!"

I still don't understand how Lena hasn't been told about Brandon's summer scholarship by the music teacher yet. They all seem to have zero sense of privacy and boundaries at that school; I'm surprised Lena didn't know before Brandon did. 

Poor Mariana - everyone ended up with a good resolution at the end of the episode except for her. 

The ages are confusing me. Brandon's the oldest, right? And he's 16? Jesus is a year younger, and in the same year as Hayley? So how did Hayley get to the campground by herself, when she isn't supposed to be old enough to drive yet? But it also seems like Mariana's quinceanera was a hundred years ago, so maybe they're 16 and Brandon is 17? Except they called him 16 I think an episode or so ago?

• Love 1

Mixed feelings about the episode. It felt like some interesting things were said and then they jumped to the next scene.

Extra points for the use of the word "heteronormative". Wish they had pause a little after that, to let it sink in

• Love 1

This episode felt like a filler episode to me. Secrets came out, but nothing really actually happened. I am glad that the moms finally know about Ana's pregnancy and Jesus's tattoo. If only they can find out about Brandon's piano camp thing and force him to go to that instead of sending a 16-year-old on tour across the country with only other teenagers and his girlfriend. 

Do Stef and Lena have a car that's big enough to hold all 7 of them? Brandon seemed surprised that they were going in two cars. From what we've seen of their cars, it seems like Stef and Lena each have a car that holds 5.

I agree with Valny on the stupidity of the line "I'll lead you out." It instantly triggered my women's equality feelings. No, Jesus, a woman does not need you to lead her anywhere. If you want to walk with her, that's perfectly fine, but don't assume you need to be in charge.

I'm glad Jude finally stood up for himself. But he's so adorable that I totally get why Callie and everyone babies him. I'm super excited about the Jude/Connor plot in the next episode. 

This episode was okay. The camping trip was interesting. I was hoping that we’d find out more about the Jonnor encounter, but I  think that’s coming next week.   Lena twerking was funny! I wonder who the father of Ana’s baby is, if it’s not Mike.  It sounds like Braille is going to give it another try.

The ages are confusing me. Brandon's the oldest, right? And he's 16? Jesus is a year younger, and in the same year as Hayley? So how did Hayley get to the campground by herself, when she isn't supposed to be old enough to drive yet? But it also seems like Mariana's quinceanera was a hundred years ago, so maybe they're 16 and Brandon is 17? Except they called him 16 I think an episode or so ago?

A girl who stalks her boyfriend to a campground isn't going to let something silly like being legally able to drive hold her back.  : ) But, as a sophomore in high school I turned 16 at the end of the year and others turned 16 throughout the year. She may just have an earlier birthday than Jesus. 

• Love 1

I thought this was a solid episode. I often complain when the family is separated by too many storylines, so it was nice to see them together for a substantial period of time.

I am glad that Jesus dumped Hayley. She is crazy and not in a way that's fun for me to watch. I'm not sure a parent's first step would be to get their kid's tattoo lasered off (as the promo suggests). But, maybe Stef and Lena dislike Hayley that much that they are willing to pay for it instead of letting Jesus deal with the consequences on his own.

Stef and Lena were great. I can definitely see how it's easier for the kids to go to Lena with their problems first. I would be intimidated by Stef.

I am glad we got to see Jude. The show feels off when he's not around. I have seen Callie baby him in the past, but perhaps not to the extent she did on the camping trip. The swimming at the end was cute though and a nice resolution to their fight.

Even if Mike is not the bio dad, I definitely think he will be helping Ana raise her daughter. I like this direction for Mike and I hope we get to see him in scenes with Brandon soon.

The Brandon/Callie stuff was interesting. Callie literally throwing gasoline on the fire was funny. Even though they talked, I still think it will be awkward for Callie to see Brandon with Lou. I just hope Callie remains single for a good stretch of episodes.

Even if Mike is not the bio dad, I definitely think he will be helping Ana raise her daughter.

But WHY?  Why is he so interested in helping Anna?  He wants to move her into his house and help raise her daughter, WTF?  Who does that unless the person is a family  member?  I don't understand his perspective at all, especially considering the complicated relationship that Anna has with the Fosters.

And what is Anna doing?  She's not supposed to get into relationships so soon into her recovery, and she's not supposed to get into relationships with other AA people.  Also, relying on someone else to fix her life for her (by giving her a place to stay and raising her daughter), someone who is also her sponsor, is dangerous.  What happens to her without Mike?  She needs to get her own act together on her own, and learn to stand on her own two feet.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 4

But WHY?  Why is he so interested in helping Anna?  He wants to move her into his house and help raise her daughter, WTF?  Who does that unless the person is a family  member?  I don't understand his perspective at all, especially considering the complicated relationship that Anna has with the Fosters.

Pretty sure its the guilt he feels for killing the presumed father.  Also perhaps having her around is helping him maintain his sobriety, ie something else to focus on.  Which is bad, I know.

• Love 1

For all that Lena and Stef are fiercely protective of their kids, they're surprisingly casual about other peoples'. On screen, they never asked about how and where Wyatt was living and how Hayley was getting back from this remote campsite, or even what was going on with Callie's bio-sister. Lena is even an authority figure over two of them.

• Love 2

Loved the episode. Just a few observations:

-I thought the way the teens were behaving about having to go camping was very true to life. When I was a teenager, my mom took me to some pretty amazing places: Malaysia (where she is from originally), all over the east coast of the U.S., Tennessee to see Graceland (she's a crazy Elvis fan) and no matter where we were, I remember just wanting to come home and be with my friends. 

-Is Ana going to abandon the baby and leave it with Mike? Or are the Fosters going to adopt it? I really hope not.

-I am so jealous of Maia Mitchell's body! Damn, girl!

-I agree with everyone about Jake T. Austin and his weak performance. His scenes are almost painful to watch, especially since all the other actors are so great. Even the girl who plays Hayley was acting circles around him.

-Aw, Jude. Can't wait for his scenes with Connor next week!

• Love 2

I'm positive that Brandon is at least 17. He was 16 when the show first started and he is a senior in high school. The twins are 15. And Callie is 16 because she's three years older than Jude who is 13. Not sure why this information is in my brain, but there you go.

For all that Lena and Stef are fiercely protective of their kids, they're surprisingly casual about other peoples'. On screen, they never asked about how and where Wyatt was living and how Hayley was getting back from this remote campsite, or even what was going on with Callie's bio-sister.

Boy did this bug me last night in regards to Hayley. Jesus breaks up with her and she takes off (presumably for home) and Stef/Lena just casually take Jesus' word that Hayley was going back and that her mom was home. Ohhhkay, but they're not going to call Hayley's mom and check? And don't get me started about Wyatt. This boy was in their lives, and like people have said, Lena is the vice-principal at his school; why aren't they more concerned?!

But overall I really enjoyed last night's episode. Stef and Lena continue to have one of the best marriages portrayed on television.

STEF'S ABS. Holy crap. I would like to have them. And be near them. 

I liked the episode overall.

I agree completely. This really bugs me. I assume it's because he's the weak link, acting-wise, but they just don't give his perspective on anything. Everyone's response to all his scenes is "Ha, Jesus is so dumb!" but that's because every time anything happens that he would react to, they don't give him any dialogue, they just hold a 3-second close-up of him with his mouth slightly ajar and then cut to the next scene. At some point they're going to need to give him some agency.

Extra points for the use of the word "heteronormative". Wish they had pause a little after that, to let it sink in

Yes, yes, that cracked me up! And I can see how it would happen since the one apparently interpreting things heteronormatively is the one who was previously in a het marriage (though on the other "side").

I thought this was a solid episode. I often complain when the family is separated by too many storylines, so it was nice to see them together for a substantial period of time.

Absolutely. I watch this show for the family first and foremost. I know they have to keep their teen audience with those isolated subplots, but it's always miles more effective when it's still anchored by the family as the primary story.

Note to Mariana: consider yourself lucky that you can no longer use your Dystopian Robot Future dance or whatever it was.

• Love 3

So Brandon and Callie are both 16 and I think juniors in high school while Mariana and Jesus are 15 and sophomores and Jude is 13 and in 8th grade. I wish Bradley, Peter and Joanna would clear up the timeline for this show to put to rest all of this talk about how old everyone is and what year is it on the show.

This was a nice episode. IMO, this show was in need of a bottle episode so that we could see everyone check in with each other.

I was glad that Jesus wised up and kicked Hayley to the curb. Of course we know that's not the end of it. This chick could give OITNB's Suzanne a run for her money in a contest for the name "Crazy Eyes."

Stef and Lena are among my all time favorite TV couples. They are my Eric and Tami Taylor. 

Jude's little blow up was something to celebrate. A few months ago he was so bad at articulating his needs that he literally went mute. Now he's handling shit like a boss. I love how he told Jesus that he didn't tell Moms about Hayley, just that they were lost. 

• Love 6

Heteronormative! Heteronormative, people!

Seriously, I love Stef and Lena and that they fight like adults and actually listen to what the other is saying even when upset.

Brandon and everyone else thinking Jesus is stupid made me laugh. I know it's terrible, but they are writing him that way, and the only way to enjoy it is to think of it as a sarcastic grunt to heteronorms. Dumb jock! Thinks with his dick! 

I did laugh when he thought Lena was giving him a strategy about how to manipulate Stef so she wouldn't get mad-- it was horrible, horrible! But a typical teenager mentality. And, though her motives were not what he thought, exactly, she really was wrong to suggest he lie to her that way.

• Love 1

So Brandon and Callie are both 16 and I think juniors in high school while Mariana and Jesus are 15 and sophomores and Jude is 13 and in 8th grade. I wish Bradley, Peter and Joanna would clear up the timeline for this show to put to rest all of this talk about how old everyone is and what year is it on the show.

A lot of people have been asking about the timeline and this is by no means official but I did work one out and as long as you discount the twins bday from Vigil (on their poem) then every other date given by the show works. I did draw up a diagram but I'll just summarise the relevant bits.

Based on my timeframe we are currently in March/April - Brandon and Callie are 16 (Callie's bday is in July and in Over/Under they said Brandon was "nearly 17") so will both be turning 17 before their senior year but are the younger end of their year. Jesus and Mariana are both 15 with a birthday round about August/September (I'm no expert in American education cut offs but this would that make them the older end of freshmen?) and then Jude turned 13 in November. Also, based on 17 weeks I place Ana getting pregnant round about her time in the halfway house which would make sense. Father can't be the guy Mike killed as that would date it even before Lena's pregnancy. I genuinely think that showing Ana's bump so big in Over/Under was a mistake because Alex Barreto was pregnant and they didn't cover it well enough. 

Obviously this timeline is not confirmed but it suits my head canon and all the other times given (Lena's pregnancy length, Callie's "6 month" comment at Quinns, Callie's time out of Juvie a beginning of 1B etc.) check out with it. 

On another note, someone mentioned why Mike would have an interest in helping Ana. I have just been re-watching 2A and there was a lot of talk about Mike wanting another chance at fatherhood with Dani. I really think this is him trying to act on that craving, even though it's not his child or even that he has any romantic interest. His chances with Dani were blown (which in show time only happened within the last couple months). Considering the closest family to him are such advocates for fostering/adopting, maybe in his own way he sees an opportunity to fill that hole in that way. He was already helping Ana when he was with Dani - he had his hopes dashed and then there was Ana offering him a way of still having a role in someone's life, even if in a different way. I'm not saying it's right or that it isn't short sighted, but to me it's a believable psychology for someone who has been struggling to find his place for so long. 

Speaking of Dani... are they just going to drop that storyline? (I mean, that's ok with me, because: yuck.)  But still: it was such a huge deal for Brandon and he sort of kind of obliquely referenced it when talking to Jesus before their meeting that it would be equally weird to drop it.

I admit it: I felt sorry for Mariana this episode when it became clear that Hayley was going to steal her dance.  Despite all of her own insecurities (or maybe because of them), she continues to be totally open to people and believing that they have the best intentions even when (in the case of Hayley) it is CLEAR that they are nuts.  I hope they bring Emma back as a friend to Mariana - I didn't like her with Jesus*, but she and Mariana would be an interesting friend-match.  

*Truthfully, I think everyone that Jesus has dated becomes tainted - I could take Lexi until she started in with Jesus, Emma was ok with me until they started dating, and Hayley is ... Hayley.  I think it's half writing and half that it must be hard to have him as an acting partner because he's ... not good.

• Love 3

I don't care about Anna, so whatever to that plot, but I liked the rest. As much as Brandon annoyed me previously, I really like Older Brother Brandon, especially when paired with Jesus. Although he clearly loves him, you could tell he thinks Jesus is an idiot.

I think it's his acting, he has the same expression during almost every scene.

Jesus, your unstable girlfriend is crying over you breaking up with her. "CbtCXHf.jpg"

Jesus, your moms found out about your stupid tattoo. "CbtCXHf.jpg"

Jesus, you found out your bio-mother is pregnant. "CbtCXHf.jpg"

Jesus, you're struggling through a pill/diet thing. "CbtCXHf.jpg"

Jesus, everyone is fighting around you. "CbtCXHf.jpg"

Jesus, you're on fire. "CbtCXHf.jpg"

OK, I just laughed out loud, you literally almost made me choke on my drink.  But seriously Jake T. Austin should use any amount of extra time during the season and the time off season when not filming to do something about his acting.  It is literally horrifically bad, and I have seen my share of wooden actors in my day. I don't remember it being so bad in the previous season but I think that is because he was sparingly used, given few lines and most of the time he was playing off of Mariana. I would like to have them explore Jesus's reactions to things that are more serious and more dramatic but it is clear at least from the shows beginning Season 2 that the actor just doesn't have the chops.  

• Love 2

Can't tell you how much I loved watching Jude tell Callie and Brandon off! Hahahaha...

I didn't see it coming at first, but Jude got pissed that the family was treating him like a baby. It was apparent when Callie told him not to go swimming alone. Little things here and there until he couldn't take it anymore. I suppose it's natural progression. I loved Jude's innocence and naive sweetness but it looks like they're going to have him mature and grow into a more adolescent persona which is not a bad thing. It happens to all of us.

I was seriously shocked when I realized Jude was in 8th grade. REALLY?? In my head, he's an elementary school kid. And if he and Connor are actually that old, Connor's dad's schtick about how he just doesn't want Connor to grow up too fast is even more suspect than I realized.

Anyway, good for Jude for having the security to assert himself instead of retreating again when things finally reached a boil.

I think Callie and Brandon were sophomores, Mariana and Jesus were freshman and Jude was in 7th grade when the show started and now they are in the next grade but if that was the case then Callie and Brandon should be 17 and Mariana and Jesus should be 16.

This episode had me cracking up - we were in need of a "light" episode for a change, and I don't think we've seen one quite like this yet with the constant snarky banter.  I had always hoped they would do some sort of "family road trip" episode where we could see everyone together and best-laid plans start to unravel.  It was most welcome!

What I liked most was how each individual characterization came out in the setting:

- of course Mariana would figure out a way to "glamp" instead of camp (I thought she had a generator going for a second to run her curling iron..)

- of course Callie would hover over Jude like a mother hen, and Jude would eventually tell her to go fly a kite

- of course Jesus and Brandon would both get lost in the woods trying to cover one of Jesus' half-baked schemes (Jesus: "I think I remember seeing that star, must be that way." Brandon: "Thanks a lot, Magellan")

- of course Stef would think twerking was a form of social media

- of course Lena would not only know what twerking was, but be able to demonstrate a damn fine rendition of it

There was a nice comedy vibe to the episode, especially when the whole "Anna-is-pregnant" thing came out and everyone went off on each other.

I think out of all of the characters (except for maybe Stef), the writers have really figured out Mariana's "voice" and know how to write great comic dialogue for her.  The stuff that comes out of that girl's mouth and the way she says it is hilarious:

- Mariana: "I brought double-down comforters and a curling iron and blow dryer that plug into the car. So we're set." Callie: "For what?" Mariana: "I... don't understand the question." HA! Her delivery was priceless)

- "Did you know that there are nanoparticles in many sunscreens that show up in people's livers?"

Stef and Lena are among my all time favorite TV couples. They are my Eric and Tami Taylor.

YES!  They are in rarefied company - Eric and Tami Taylor set the bar.  That whole blow-up they had with who was the "nice" mom and who was the disciplinarian was not only hilarious, but very intelligent and real.  The rapid-fire dialogue reminded me of Eric and Tami also - they challenge each other.

Personally, I like where the Brandon-and-Callie situation has been going the last few episodes.  They have been having some nice moments where we get to see the particular way they relate to each other - more like what we saw in 1A.  I am perfectly fine with NOT putting a label on their relationship right now - whether they are going to be together in the end or not, let it happen naturally without the artificial stress of the will-Callie-be-adopted-or-not question.  What I think is touching is that they are both fighting so hard for the other one not to give up their dream. It is kind of typical of what they have always been since the first episode.

"Heteronormative" is my word for the day...

Edited by imustbecrazy
  • Love 3

I think Callie and Brandon were sophomores, Mariana and Jesus were freshman and Jude was in 7th grade when the show started and now they are in the next grade but if that was the case then Callie and Brandon should be 17 and Mariana and Jesus should be 16.

Pretty sure they haven't changed grades yet. I also thought B&C were sophomores, I was surprised when they said Brandon would be returning to senior year but it does make sense based on Callie's b'day. As we've not had a summer break yet I think they're just the youngest in their year. So far each season has only been about 2-3 months with a similar length jump in between. 

I'm a little confused.  I also thought Brandon and Callie were sophomores and she possibly not yet old enough to drive at the very beginning of the show.  Brandon was driving relatively early in the series and could have already been 16 while mid-sophomore year.  But I don't recall their being a specific school break to switch years.  And then the wedding episode was placed shortly after the Prop 8 case (both in reality and story I thought).  Thus, that should have been the summer.  But then, we got a flashback to Christmas which seemed to be shortly after Stef's father died.  And the whole show should only cover between 7 and 8 months of time.... right?

But at this point, it's been confirmed through dialogue that this is Brandon's junior year now and it sounded from the credits issue that was discussed that Callie is a junior too.  And now we've been told that Jude is 13... so end of 7th grade?  Beginning of 8th? Oy.

The writers really messed up the timeline of the show. When the series first started, according to the twins' birthday that was on the poem in Vigil, it was May, because they turned 15 just a few episodes in. Brandon I put at 16/17 and in his junior year, Callie was 16/17 and in her junior year, Jesus and Mariana were 15 and freshmen, and Jude was 12 and in 7th grade. Then Prop 8 happened in June, I think, so it should have been summer, but they were still in school, which I can fanwank that Anchor Beach is a year-round school. Then season 1B started and suddenly it was fall, but they were still juniors/freshmen/7th grade as far as I could tell. So I try not to think about it and curse the writer's for their inability to create a plausible timeline.

• Love 2

In mulling the timeline issues over, I've decided I don't care. For this show, I am more concerned with getting as much time as I can with the family, than I am with them creating a plausible timeline that follows the real world calendar. Especially when they were getting short episode orders with long breaks between half seasons, I think it's confusing but forgivable.

To the extent that babying a 13 year old is way different than babying an 8 year old, it's relevant to the story. But other than that, I don't care. They can stretch one school year into 5 seasons for all I care, as long as we get good writing within the conceit.

• Love 5

I've actually tweeted Bradley about the timeline issue and he hasn't responded. I wish writers of TV shows would create a timeline to keep track of things especially when some of the characters are still in school.

As for the episode, I love that they are having Mariana rattle off science and tech and math facts. This story is going to be great not only for young women but specifically young women of color so kudos to whomever thought this up. Now they need to work on Jesus' passions and I don't mean wrestling.

• Love 1

I wish writers of TV shows would create a timeline to keep track of things especially when some of the characters are still in school.

I think the ambiguity of the timeline might be by design in a show like this on a channel like this - shows where the teenagers age in real time and then have to go off to college have to make some dicey narrative choices to keep everyone on the show (like, in 90210 where all the kids ended up going to some fictional local college) or they have to drop some characters (like the way Haddie disappeared from Parenthood almost entirely when she left for Cornell).  I think the only show that I can think of where a kid went to college and remained part of the show in a believable way is the Gilmore Girls, but even that strained credulity at some points.

I'm ok with them trying to play out the string as long as they think they can get away with it.

• Love 2

I think the ambiguity of the timeline might be by design in a show like this on a channel like this - shows where the teenagers age in real time and then have to go off to college have to make some dicey narrative choices to keep everyone on the show (like, in 90210 where all the kids ended up going to some fictional local college) or they have to drop some characters (like the way Haddie disappeared from Parenthood almost entirely when she left for Cornell).  I think the only show that I can think of where a kid went to college and remained part of the show in a believable way is the Gilmore Girls, but even that strained credulity at some points.

I'm ok with them trying to play out the string as long as they think they can get away with it.

I'm actually fine with the idea of a fairly nebulous time line.  But it gets wonky when they suddenly give us sign posts like " it's been 6 months" or flashing back to holidays and temporally linking them to other events.

• Love 2

The timeline for this show reminds me of the timeline for The Baby-Sitter's Club series. Those girls stayed thirteen for like 20 years. 

As for the episode, I love that they are having Mariana rattle off science and tech and math facts. This story is going to be great not only for young women but specifically young women of color so kudos to whomever thought this up. Now they need to work on Jesus' passions and I don't mean wrestling.

Totally agree. I absolutely love what they are doing with Mariana.

I was hoping Jesus would get an eating disorder story-line when he had to drop weight for wrestling. It seemed like the show was headed in that direction, but it looks like that's been dropped in favor of never-ending relationship drama. 

While it took a little research, the timeline isn't too confusing. They give enough clues to understand where they are at. Yes, time is moving slowly and the Twins' bday messes it up, but If you ignore that, then all is good. Also, for those referencing Prop 8, that wasn't part of the show. It occurred as they filmed it, not as it was set.

Here's my idea of the timeline:

- Mid to Late August: Callie leaves Juvie

- Mid October: Stef and Lena’s Wedding (Approx. 9 weeks after Callie’s leaves Juvie)

- Early November: Callie Returns to the Adams Fosters (Approx. 4 weeks later) & Jude’s Secret Birthday. His official birthday is Nov 17th.

- Early December: Winter Dance/Finale

- Early to Mid February: Time jump approximately 2 months for Season 2A based on Brandon’s hand. This is why we missed Christmas and New Years (and thus, the flashback episode).

- Early to Mid March: Episode 2x04ish

They seem to be approaching the end of the school year, around May now. Callie and Brandon are 16, both close to turning 17 and at the end of their Junior year. Mariana and Jesus are 15 and Sophomores. Jude is 13 and in 8th grade.

We could still be in April, as I believe that is when Stef's bday is.

• Love 3

While it took a little research, the timeline isn't too confusing. They give enough clues to understand where they are at. Yes, time is moving slowly and the Twins' bday messes it up, but If you ignore that, then all is good. Also, for those referencing Prop 8, that wasn't part of the show. It occurred as they filmed it, not as it was set.

Here's my idea of the timeline:

- Mid to Late August: Callie leaves Juvie

- Mid October: Stef and Lena’s Wedding (Approx. 9 weeks after Callie’s leaves Juvie)

- Early November: Callie Returns to the Adams Fosters (Approx. 4 weeks later) & Jude’s Secret Birthday. His official birthday is Nov 17th.

- Early December: Winter Dance/Finale

- Early to Mid February: Time jump approximately 2 months for Season 2A based on Brandon’s hand. This is why we missed Christmas and New Years (and thus, the flashback episode).

- Early to Mid March: Episode 2x04ish

They seem to be approaching the end of the school year, around May now. Callie and Brandon are 16, both close to turning 17 and at the end of their Junior year. Mariana and Jesus are 15 and Sophomores. Jude is 13 and in 8th grade.

We could still be in April, as I believe that is when Stef's bday is.

Thanks for laying out that out snailey!  The timeline makes more sense now - basically they have been through almost one entire school year in the course of the two seasons.  That it took almost two full TV seasons to get there is what throws me sometimes.