Type keyword(s) to search

The All You Can Eat Buffet: My 600 Pound Life All Episode Discussion

• Start Topic

I watched Ashley R. again.
Boy, she never looked back, after Dr. Now gave her the diet.  And her whole family, and her husband, hopped aboard.
For those wanting to see someone who follows the rules, and loses, this is a good one.
On the other hand, it's low on the angst/drama scale.

• Love 7
12 hours ago, auntjess said:

Boy, she never looked back, after Dr. Now gave her the diet.  And her whole family, and her husband, hopped aboard.
For those wanting to see someone who follows the rules, and loses, this is a good one.

I didn't remember this person and had to look around for a picture. Wow - you know they are big (it ain't called 'My 600 lb Life' for nothin'), but there's a picture of Ashley eating with her family in which she looks like 3 people compared to the others at the table.  I guess they all look like that in person, but wow. Now I really wonder why they don't start a diet before it gets to the point where they have to go to Houston. http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/my-600-lb-life/photos/ashley-rs-journey-in-photos/

• Love 1
13 hours ago, auntjess said:

Me too.  Ashley R had one of the very-rare, for this show, families that are still together, seem to have a loving dynamic, and actually sit down at a diningroom table to eat together!  How refreshing was this one!!!!!!!!  Off the top of my head, I can't think of a patient with a nicer family than this one.  I loved them.

Only thing that bugged me was the strange way her husband talked, like his mouth only opened part-way.  I wonder why he doesn't drive?

Wow Ashley is tall!  Did they mention her height anywhere?  She towered over everybody!

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, Trees said:

Wow Ashley is tall!  Did they mention her height anywhere?  She towered over everybody!

She's the one that started me comparing heights by the picture by the scale.
Ashley is just about to the top of the frame.

I really wish the show would show us what happens when these people don't get the type of food they want.  I mean in almost every case they say "Oh if we don't give them what they want then life is going to be miserable."

Seriously?  I mean especially the ones that are immobile.  Just leave.  Turn up the TV or music or whatever.  I just don't see how someone stuck in a bed can make life all that miserable for someone that can just walk the hell away.

• Love 16
2 hours ago, kj4ever said:

I really wish the show would show us what happens when these people don't get the type of food they want.  I mean in almost every case they say "Oh if we don't give them what they want then life is going to be miserable."

Seriously?  I mean especially the ones that are immobile.  Just leave.  Turn up the TV or music or whatever.  I just don't see how someone stuck in a bed can make life all that miserable for someone that can just walk the hell away.

They can walk away, but they have to come back, and the person will NOT stop. They go on and on and on till you will do anything so they will just shut up. If you are the child that's harder because you were most likely brought up taking care of them, and you have the guilt how could you not take care of your parent.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, crazycatlady58 said:

They can walk away, but they have to come back, and the person will NOT stop. They go on and on and on till you will do anything so they will just shut up. If you are the child that's harder because you were most likely brought up taking care of them, and you have the guilt how could you not take care of your parent.

I hear you, and of course, it's hard to do anything when you are a child, but a lot of these enablers aren't kids. I don't have anywhere near the family drama that these folks have had (in terms of family abuse, drugs, etc.), but I have found life sooo much easier by getting the heck up and moving hundreds of miles away. At one point I lived on the other side of the country and if I could have moved to Hawaii, I would have.  Don't any of these parents want another life for their kids? Like college, a nice professional job, or a good skilled trade job? Something where you are not sitting on a couch all day with the obesee eating tater tot casserole and watching game shows? Don't the enablers want their own homes? As I've mentioned before, these people seem so enmeshed with each other. It's hard for me to understand that level of involvement in someone else's life. Mostly I just want people to leave me the heck alone.  

• Love 7
5 hours ago, kj4ever said:

I can see that some of the people, especially large men, could hurt someone who had to get close enough to take care of them.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, auntjess said:

I can see that some of the people, especially large men, could hurt someone who had to get close enough to take care of them.

And if they did hurt someone, the caretaker could call the cops and have 8 policeman load the perpetrator into the back of a paddy wagon.  Plus, it might give the caretaker the push they need to walk out the door.  I can't believe there are any laws that would require someone to stay and take care of someone who physically injures them.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

They aren't taking care of them though.  They are helping to kill them.

8 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

And if they did hurt someone, the caretaker could call the cops and have 8 policeman load the perpetrator into the back of a paddy wagon.  Plus, it might give the caretaker the push they need to walk out the door.  I can't believe there are any laws that would require someone to stay and take care of someone who physically injures them.

Absolutely.  Let's see if they get 2 dozen eggs, bacon, ham, sausage, biscuits and gravy in prison for a snack.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I just can't see her ever having the gumption to do this.  And I guess I shouldn't name names, but I imagine we're most of us thinking the same person.

Edited by auntjess
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, auntjess said:

I just can't see her ever having the gumption to do this.  And I guess I shouldn't name names, but I imagine we're most of us thinking the same person.

Give me a hint . . . would he be yelling "Ow, my layg" as the cops were hauling him off?

• Love 3

The indentured feeders basically need to move out (if they aren’t already living elsewhere) and then call the police and inform them that there’s a bed ridden 600 lb person who no longer has anyone looking after them. Wait at the Fat House/Doublewide until the cops arrive. Then it’s the state’s problem. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, auntjess said:

In the case of a disabled adult child- if their parent is their guardian they have a responsibility to provide care OR arrange for care to be provided. For example if my Mom arranges for me to watch my sister, and I leave her home alone and she hurts herself (or burns the house down) I’m the neglectful one. Makes me sick to my stomach to read the stories above- that someone would do that to their own child.

If you’re left in charge of an elderly or disabled person incapable of caring for themselves you have an affirmative duty; think of the anti animal cruelty laws requiring you to feed pets on your property (even if they aren’t yours) or call animal control. 

So no, the caregivers are not required to enable; and most of the time they can legally walk away from care unless they have any duty of care due to their relationship (like a spouse or a guardian) BUT they have to inform the proper authorities. They cannot leave them lying in their own filth without fresh water. 

I do like that Dr Now asks “who is your enabler?” I think they should be in therapy too to separate caregiving from enabling. 

Edited by Scarlett45
  • Love 2

I started rewatching James K, but so disgusted already.
If he was put in a place where he got care, but no menu choice, they could get his weight down.  No enablers.
Erica's sister Molly should start such a place.  She'd take no prisoners.

• Love 4
(edited)
On 4/15/2018 at 3:03 PM, kj4ever said:

ITA, except if you are in a relationship like Freddy has with a recent subject, Schenee. Ugh. The more I think about their relationship, the more I see Freddy as an abused man, almost in the same vein as Lisa and James K aka "Ow Mah Laygs!" Both James and Schenee are nasty, hateful people who treat their significant others like shit, and yet they wait on these hose beasts hand, lymphedemas, and foot. I wonder if, like Lisa, Freddy is so mentally beat down and groomed to accept the abuse he actually doesn't understand that he has the choice to leave?

It wasn't a denial of the food she wanted but I think we all got a good look at the horrible behavior of Miss "Do you believe in God?" when she doesn't get her way. After that epic "Where's the bleach?" verbal beat down she gave Freddy or her declaration, in the same conversation I think, that all he did for her was wash her ass and that she financially takes care of him, I was almost screaming at the tv for Freddy to tell her to kiss his ass and leave. But no, he just put his tail between his legs and took it. Damn, a shelter, a park bench, anywhere would seem preferable to putting up with that crap.

But I guess she clipped his balls and tucked them in her purse a long time ago. Either that, or she battered, fried and ate them.

I'll see myself out..........

Edited by DC Gal in VA
Punctuation and typo.
  • Love 11
(edited)

@aliya and I were trading remarks on the standards we hold for folks on this show, SO, I searched this forum for "at least," and here are some things for which we've given folks credit. 
Having a job.  
Wears underwear. 
Being able to pull up one's own underwear.
Being mobile.
Ordering a 12" rather than a large pizza.
Being able to use a toilet of some sort.
Wears clothing.
Has sheets on the beds.
Sits up to eat.
Doesn't cook in bed.
Has feet covered.
Wears shoes.  (n.b., these aren't always the same)
Is up front about her sex work.
Isn't 700 lbs.
Doesn't lick his fingers.
Doesn't have any nasty lymphedema (or maggots for that matter.)

Not sneaking food in the hospital.
Eating at a table.
Is able to sit up alone.
Is worried about her cat.
Is not as terrible as his brother.
The maggots are eating the decaying flesh in those folds.

And we give family/friends/etc kudos also.
 Momma sobered up for a nice talk .
Occasionally walking the dog.
At least  he can outrun her.
(Forgive the crappy formatting; I can't find Notepad or Word on this new computer with Windows 10.)

Edited by auntjess
  • LOL 1
  • Love 19

TLC has taken these cameras into the hidden recesses of the miserable rooms of the bed bound and made their stories viewable for the entire world. (Overseas they have a stereotype of the "fat American." I say that and I am an American. No doubt the show reinforces that stereotype as it is aired abroad... and that includes many countries where people simply cannot afford to overfeed themselves in such a manner. In many if not most other countries, it's simply not possible unless one is filthy rich.)

I think it would feel dehumanizing to have to be changed like an infant and have food brought to you, basically fed and watered. It would feel terrible to know that they put themselves there and were keeping themselves there. Then, the lymph masses and embarrassing skin disorders. Not to mention the profuse body odor triggered by hormonal imbalances, lack of adequate bathing, excessive sweating, etc.

I'm saying this because I wonder if the reason that the behavior deteriorates is because they start to feel separated from the human race. I'm not saying for a moment that they should feel that way, but all of this might cause them to feel that way. When people can't help but react to the stench upon entering the room, and the person knows they're the cause, it's got to affect them! 

If that's the case, it's a desperately sad phenomenon.

• Love 8
(edited)
On 4/6/2018 at 12:36 PM, auntjess said:

After avoiding re-watching Penny, because I was so disgusted, I realized I don't remember her trip to Houston, so I've got her lined up on my DVR.
Pauline was still awful, and I wonder if her son ever broke free.
Was there ever a Pauline follow-up?

Paula was the one "P" woman who did OK, wasn't she?
 I rewatched Erica again, and loved when the nutritionist came to clean out her house, after she'd discovered you could order grocery delivery.

Pauline finally got her act together and lost weight. I think she was genuinely afraid. Cowardice is no excuse, but at least she got psychological help to figure out what was going on. Now, she's, like, 230 pounds, walking and volunteering at an animal shelter. Her attitude towards Dr. Now has done a 180, also.

I re-watched the Penny episode yesterday... against my better judgment. LOL 

Her sister tearfully said that she didn't think Penny had any more than five years because she had been in and out of the hospital. The show aired in January 2014, which meant that it had to have been filmed in 2013. The sister spoke at the beginning of Penny's "journey" which meant it could have been as early as 2012.  So, it's been a little over five years.  As irritating and selfish as Penny is, it's sad to think of her time being up. She's a delusional and thoughtless woman. Poor Liam!

On 5/14/2018 at 9:27 PM, auntjess said:

@aliya and I were trading remarks on the standards we hold for folks on this show, SO, I searched this forum for "at least," and here are some things for which we've given folks credit. 
Having a job.  
Wears underwear. 
Being mobile.
Wears clothing.
Wears shoes.
Has sheets on the beds.
Sits up to eat.
Doesn't cook in bed.
Has feet covered.
Isn't 700 lbs.

Eating at a table.
Is able to sit up alone.

(Forgive the crappy formatting; I can't find Notepad or Word on this new computer with Windows 10.)

I know I'm setting the bar even higher, but I'd like to add:

Breathes without an oxygen mask/tank

Not addicted to opioids 

Can stand on a scale (with or without assistance)

Will eat a vegetable

Edited by CoachWristletJen
  • Love 11
3 hours ago, Colleenna said:

Went snooping on FB. I don't think Penny's lost anything, and she seems to need full-time oxygen. On the plus side, she's still alive and her kids seem happy.

She has more than one kid?  I only remember her with Liam, who must be around 10 years old now?

On 5/14/2018 at 4:36 PM, auntjess said:

Is the Brandi/Kandi update show, set for next week I think, actually new?  

According to zap2it, yes

M600L523.PNG.ce22dc682220cace8cff6418f16813b3.PNG

They don't have the listing posted for 5/30, but that's another new one - a follow up on Erica from last season.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Miracle Maxie said:

They don't have the listing posted for 5/30, but that's another new one - a follow up on Erica from last season.

Thanks!  I'm surprised, because I thought the new shows were over.
I hope Erica's sister Molly is on the show too.  

• Love 1
(edited)

I think it was pulled this week for the four-night "special event" running on TLC. Even though I've seen about a billion ads for it, I can't tell you what it's supposed to be about. Some sort of live event? Would have been nice if they'd told us My 600# Life was just pre-empted for a week instead of leaving us to have a farewell party in the Live Chat thread, but I don't expect any such amenities from TLC.

Edited by Miracle Maxie
as my English teacher would have said: antecedents unclear

Just curious... do any of you recall seeing an episode of M6PL in which the client is Native American? I know that type 2 diabetes is rampant in the NA culture, as is obesity. Maybe they don't consider it a problem?

2 hours ago, Miracle Maxie said:

I think it was pulled this week for the four-night "special event" running on TLC. Even though I've seen about a billion ads for it, I can't tell you what it's supposed to be about. Some sort of live event? Would have been nice if they'd told us My 600# Life was just pre-empted for a week instead of leaving us to have a farewell party in the Live Chat thread, but I don't expect any such amenities from TLC.

Well at least we will all get to have another "final" farewell party next Wednesday (5/23) with the update on the twins Brandi and Kandi and maybe another "final, final" get together with Erica's update. I am so glad 'cause I always love live chatting and commenting on the regular threads with all of you here. ☺

• Love 3
(edited)

Shout out to @auntjess with an addition to your very comprehensive "at least" list.

I watched a repeat of the original episode on Christina and she just said that "at least" she and her husband can finally sleep in the same bed.

Edited by DC Gal in VA
Typo.
  • Love 3
On 5/14/2018 at 8:27 PM, auntjess said:

Having a job.  
Wears underwear. 
Being mobile.
Wears clothing.
Wears shoes.
Has sheets on the beds.
Sits up to eat.
Doesn't cook in bed.
Has feet covered.
Isn't 700 lbs.

Eating at a table.
Is able to sit up alone.

I do a lot of these!  Look me up, ladieees.

On 5/16/2018 at 11:29 AM, CoachWristletJen said:

I know I'm setting the bar even higher, but I'd like to add:

Breathes without an oxygen mask/tank

Not addicted to opioids 

Can stand on a scale (with or without assistance)

Will eat a vegetable

Uh-oh.....

On 5/16/2018 at 1:21 PM, AZChristian said:

Recognizes a vegetable when pointed out in the produce section of the supermarket.

I'm out.

• Love 11
(edited)
On 5/17/2018 at 12:37 PM, Miracle Maxie said:

According to zap2it, yes

M600L523.PNG.ce22dc682220cace8cff6418f16813b3.PNG

Are Kandi & Brandi the sisters who bathed each other? 

Reminded me of that scene with Rebel Wilson from Bridesmaids where the brother is shaving her pits.

On 5/14/2018 at 9:27 PM, auntjess said:

Wears shoes.

This is indeed an important distinction. Wearing shoes vs. Having feet capable of being fitted into any form of shoe. Some fit the latter requirement but just don't wear them, and for others, all bets are off. 

Some do try to make do with hospital socklette things, but then there are those like Stephen who have large squares for feet which remind us that Fred Flintstone in real life would be a monstrosity.

And... I took it too far.

Edited by CoachWristletJen
  • Love 6
(edited)
On 5/17/2018 at 12:38 PM, Colleenna said:

Just curious... do any of you recall seeing an episode of M6PL in which the client is Native American? I know that type 2 diabetes is rampant in the NA culture, as is obesity. Maybe they don't consider it a problem?

Native American persons are under represented statistically in almost all medical data and mass media so I’m not surprised we have not seen a NA person on the show. It also takes a certain type of person with a certain cultural narrative to agree to be on this show. 

Edited by Scarlett45
  • Love 3

Not only are Native Americans a small percentage of the population, they get healthcare through the Indian Health Service (which is actually a great organization, I did a rotation with them in Arizona which I enjoyed immensely) - my guess is that alone would make them not eligible for the show as it requires going to doctor Now who is not part of the IHS.  I have no idea whether IHS does weight-loss surgeries.

• Love 2

I had foot surgery yesterday and the painkiller I was prescribed is Oxycodine (Percocet) which appears to be one of these opiates talked about on the show? Well I tell you, I couldn’t imagine getting hooked on this stuff, its got a laundry list of side effects and I think I have all of them: dizziness, nausea, hot flashes, and I’m freaking itchy everywhere. :P Oh yeah and I guess I can look forward to constipation too. I can’t wait to STOP taking it, ugh.

• Love 8
On 4/14/2018 at 12:04 AM, auntjess said:

Oh the irony.

• Love 3

I'm worried that the season is so long, because they're playing out all the film they've shot, and aren't coming back.
Too, Dr. Now may be ready to retire, but I'd hoped the new doctor would take over.

20 hours ago, auntjess said:

I'm worried that the season is so long, because they're playing out all the film they've shot, and aren't coming back.
Too, Dr. Now may be ready to retire, but I'd hoped the new doctor would take over.

Dr Now is also being sued for leaving steel parts and some tubing in a patient. The suit was filed in fall 2017. Like many doctors, he’s been sued before but I wonder if the combination of his age and this suit is fueling the retirement. Since they need a year to follow each patient maybe they are running through Dr Now’s patients while they start following some from the new guy. 

• Love 2
On 6/12/2018 at 2:52 PM, 3girlsforus said:

Since they need a year to follow each patient maybe they are running through Dr Now’s patients while they start following some from the new guy. 

I hope maybe that's the case, because I'm hooked on the show.

51 minutes ago, 88Keys said:

What the heck?!  They're giving James K an update episode?!  Why?!  So we can see if the mattress really does make him look fat?

Or, it could be another new mattress.  But is it James K that's being updated, or another James.
I'd like to see Tracey updated, the woman who didn't need the bypass after she got her legs taken care of.  She'd only had part of her skin surgeries done, when her episode ended.

• Love 3
On 6/2/2018 at 10:04 PM, NeitherSparky said:

I had foot surgery yesterday and the painkiller I was prescribed is Oxycodine (Percocet) which appears to be one of these opiates talked about on the show? Well I tell you, I couldn’t imagine getting hooked on this stuff, its got a laundry list of side effects and I think I have all of them: dizziness, nausea, hot flashes, and I’m freaking itchy everywhere. :P Oh yeah and I guess I can look forward to constipation too. I can’t wait to STOP taking it, ugh.

Yeah, and to top it off, the pills didn't even help with my pain.  Maybe, they just don't work on me, but, they just don't seem to help much.  My pain laughed at these  pills. lol And they didn't even make me feel good.   I'm not sure what people with major injuries do?  IVs I guess.   

• Love 1

Does anyone have any perspective on what a family member tells themself when they accompany a loved one to a bariatric surgery consult and they are only about 10 pounds lighter than the patient who is seeking the surgery?  That seems to be quite common on this show.  And, then, to add to the absurdity, they have the audacity to chide the patient about their weight, while IGNORING their own health crisis.  It's really bizarre, imo.  I know that Dr. Now has addressed it a couple of times, like when the siblings all sought treatment at the same time, but, most of the time, the morbidly obese family members are just ignored. 

• Love 3