Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E02: Cash Game

I was a little mixed on this episode.  Early seasons episodes of Justified can be a mixed bag and I thought this one was.  Still, there was plenty to like.

Though Choo Choo was hilarious.  Another in a long line of funny dumb ass Harlan criminals.  Nice to see Tim actually being used on a regular basis.  Another great Raylan/Boyd scene.  Nice to see familiar names and not just Sam Elliot.  Buddy Garrity himself, Brad Leland, still seeing real estate.  Scott Grimes.  And I just realized the guy who plays Ty Walker was Cromartie on the Sarah Connor Chronicles.

• Love 2

So -- are they trying to buy lots of properties to cover up the one they really want -- the pizza place that used to be a bank?

And how is Ava going to explain having the papers in the truck?

I thought she told Boyd initially that she just wanted them off her property and that she put them in the truck for him to retrieve. Unfortunately, while she handled that well, the about-face later wanting in on everything seemed too fast and too heavy-handed. Was the idea she planted in Boyd's head enough to make him overlook that I wonder?

Choo Choo is just a trainload of dumb, but I hope he sticks around.

• Love 3

I will always miss Dewey Crowe.  He was best idiot on the show.  But, man, Choo Choo might already be a decent second in just this episode alone.  His interactions with Raylan and Tim just slayed me.  Where do they think up of these characters?

Well, so far, Ty and Avery are already better bad guys then Daryl Crowe.  Although, Sam Elliot without his moustache kind of makes him even scarier.  It just doesn't feel right!  I guess it's countering Garrett Dillahunt's bushy beard.  Speaking of facial hair, Duffy (welcome back!) is sporting some too, and it almost makes him look human.  Good to see him and Katherine again.

Glad we already got our first Raylan/Boyd face-off.  Nothing beats watching Timothy Olyphant and Walton Goggins play off each other.  I will miss those parts the most.

Glad we are getting way more Tim this season.  I just hope Rachel's screen time catches up soon, because I do love her as the boss.

Buddy Garrett!

Ava really is treading into dangerous territory.  I feel like she's barely keeping her head above water.  Not sure how she can survive this, and I'm not sure if she will.  Then again, I really think anyone is fair game at this point.

So far, I'm enjoying this season.  They are introducing new villains again, but I still feel like Raylan vs. Boyd is the big thing, and that's what I want from the final season.

• Love 2

Ok the scene with Ryland and Choo Choo at the car had me crying it was so funny.  Like the poster said up thread where do they get these characters?  Choo Choo is no Dewy but he is a close second.

So why is he buying up all the properties?  What is the significance of the pizza place being a bank?  I like this new band of bad guys.

And did the two go to that older couples house at night?  What were those white things they took out of the truck as they headed to the house?  I know the head bad guy from Deadwood (don't know his real name) and he brings on the bad.  Creeeepy.  Glad he did not hurt the lady from the bank.  I thought for sure she was a goner.

My guess is that that pizza place that used to be a bank still has the safe, and that is where is $3 million is that Duffy and Katherine are looking for. Boyd realized it, and now is probably planning on breaking into that safe.

Great episode. Love Tim and Raylan as partners and Choo-Choo is stupid-great, and Ty is very menacing. Good bad guys this season. I could watch the scene with Raylan and Boyd over and over. Those two....sigh.

• Love 1

Loved it. Raylan is back to the Raylan I love - quick with a one liner full of big words and fast on his feet. Tim remarking that he was glad Raylan hadnt pulled up a 'random internet baby' was funny. He was pretty practical with Ava but not as harsh as he has been. She thought quick and I think Boyd is so relieved she's back on his side and that she noticed something that might help him that he's squashed any suspicions for the moment.  

Katherine might do well to remember that talking shit to Boyd might get you blown up. I mean, it hasn't been that long ago he blew Picker up right in front of them. 

Choo-Choo is just great. Love the way the guy plays him and I love seeing more of Tim. Already these bad guys scare the crud outta me and I was merely annoyed with the bad guys of Season 5. They remind me a bit of Quarles - who was so damn creepy and twisted I have trouble watching that season. I get nightmares. 

Edited by soapfaninnc
  • Love 2
And did the two go to that older couples house at night?  What were those white things they took out of the truck as they headed to the house?

Yup, they went back to the older couple's house with rolls of plastic sheeting to torture/kill them. That's what you get for calling him a peacock!

• Love 1

Anyone else seriously weirded out at seeing Sam Elliot without his mustache?

Hell yes.  It was his voice but that was not his face.  That was all kinds of wrong.  Still, it's Sam Elliot so: awesome.

I'm seriously loving the amount of Tim we're getting.  Between the random internet baby and his tricking the henchmen in the bar, this episode was chock-full of Tim goodness.  And it was kinda sweet that he Googled what age babies are supposed to walk for Raylan.

It's been so long since I saw Deadwood that I'd forgotten just how awful (in a good way) Garrett Dillahunt's characters can be.  After years of seeing him be a lovable doofus on Raising Hope I was worried I wouldn't be able to see him as a villain.  But holy crap that dude is CREEPY.  

• Love 5

My only complaint about this episode is that if Dewey's Necklace proves to be the Chekhov's gun of this season, I'll be pissed.

Other than that, I really loved this episode.  I waver as to whether Boyd is on to Ava, and I think that's indicative of Walton Goggins' great performance, because the way I think he's playing it, Boyd's wavering, too.

Choo Choo might be the best addition to the show in some time.  He looks like a young Alex Karras, and he had me laughing out loud.

Adding Scott Grimes, also a great choice. He does the twitchy nervousness well.  

• Love 1

I was somewhat confused by the part where Boyd shows up unexpectedly at Ava's, and hides the contents of the safe deposit box - because I thought they lived together.

Where is Boyd living, and where is Ava living?

• Love 1

I was somewhat confused by the part where Boyd shows up unexpectedly at Ava's, and hides the contents of the safe deposit box - because I thought they lived together.

It seems like Boyd's crashing at the bar, and Ava's at her house.

I  love this show but I feel so dumb sometimes after watching it.  I don't know what the hell is going on, with all the plot contrivances and characters.  So it's nice to come on this thread and read so that I can understand what the hell I just watched. 

I do like the new characters, but I miss Dewey's dumb ass something terrible.  Choo Choo is pretty high on the dumb list though.  As a kid, I used to know a teenage boy whose nickname was Choo Choo and, sure enough, he was big and dumb.  He had a crush o my cousin and he'd follow her around, literally drooling at the mouth.  Nice kid though.

yeah this was a great episode and portends well for the season. The understated comedy in Justified is a great thing and was on full display last night. The new villain is creepy as hell but maybe not in an utterly whacked out Quarles way which is a good thing. And I'm calling it now that Rachel ends up killing Choo-choo, who is going to be a great character.

Yet again, Justified keeps me rooting for Boyd on some levels- gotta love a show that can do that with the 'bad' guy.

• Love 1

Knowing this is the last season makes me more nervous for each of the characters. I was worried about Tim.

I also don't understand why they are buying all the properties, and why do they need them so badly they are going to torture and murder people knowing that the federal marshalls are already after them. The seem to need a lot of land together.

Maybe a highway is going to go through there? Has to be something to make the property valuable.

I also don't understand why they are buying all the properties, and why do they need them so badly they are going to torture and murder people knowing that the federal marshalls are already after them. The seem to need a lot of land together.

Maybe a highway is going to go through there? Has to be something to make the property valuable.

I'm thinking it must be a Walmart Supercenter.

• Love 3

Knowing this is the last season makes me more nervous for each of the characters. I was worried about Tim.

From an interview with Sam Elliott  on  Vulture. an answer to your question. Open at your peril.. 

Did they explain to you what your character was up to before you signed on, or are you learning as you go along?

We’re all learning as we go along. He had money and got out of Harlan, figuring he was going to get fingered for some crime, and went to Colorado and got into the legal dope business. That’s what brings him back to Harlan: He’s going to try and start buying up land to be ahead of the curve when it gets legalized in Kentucky. I learned that much about him, and the rest unfolds as it goes along. Nobody gets out of there alive, it seems like, so I’m expecting to be amongst the dead before it’s over.

Edited by Dougal
Formatting.

Loved the look Tim gave Garret Dilahunt's charcter after he called him a dick as they left the realtors office. If Raylan and Boyd are the end game I do hope Tim get's a nemisis this season (a la "a young Gerrard Deparduie") and that scene looked like they may be heading that way.

My head is spinning trying to figure out the deal with the bank robbery and ledger. Calhoun is working for/with Ty and Ty is working for Sam Elliott, right? The three million is Sam Elliott's and Ty is keeping the cash at the Pizza Bank. So Katherine is working against Sam Elliott? But then you have Katherine saying to Sam Elliott that an employee (Calhoun??) is stealing from her. What is happening?!

The employee Katherine is referring to is Boyd. But then it only just dawned on me that Dillahunt's character is working for Elliot's so take my observations with caution!

I loved the old guy (RIP) who in response to being told that nothing lasts forever replies "Except this conversation it seems". They breed them dry in Harlan.

• Love 8

Speaking  of, as much as I love all these new characters and how good it appears they'll be this season- please dont short change us on our Wynn Duffy fix! I'd hate for a final season to not have enough of some of my favorite characters from past years just to make room for new ones who are by definitions "one off" elements as the series ends now. Don't forget Duffy!

Edited by tv-talk
  • Love 1

I laughed way too much at the scene between Raylan and Choo Choo. Him asking are you saying you weren't following me, or you aren't following me. It reminded me of who's on first, Abbott and Costello.

And then Choo Choo hitchhiking and getting picked up by Tim, such a brilliant criminal mastermind. Loved it all!

Yet again, Justified keeps me rooting for Boyd on some levels- gotta love a show that can do that with the 'bad' guy.

I agree and totally feel the same way. I think it's a combination of the outstanding writing and amazing acting from Walton Goggins.

• Love 5

Anyone else seriously weirded out at seeing Sam Elliot without his mustache?

It totally weirded me out!  I could not stop watching his upper lip.....or should I say LACK of upper lip.  He is a one lipper...ha!

• Love 5

I was actually confused about this for the last two seasons, because they only ever showed them at the bar, but back in Season 2, he was living with her and then they got together, so I assumed they'd been living together since then. But now it seems like she kicked him out or something? But they're supposedly still together...that's kind of confusing. I figured Boyd was still lving at her house while she was in prison, since he was there when she got back.

That scene where Boyd asked Raylan if having a child would change someone. It seemed something was being hinted. Especially with the way the camera settled on Raylan's face afterwards. My take, it's saying Raylan won't be changed. That having a child doesn't make him want to settle down, as it should and he's struggling with that without really understanding. He's still being reckless with his life, like the way he was quick to talk about using his gun on Boyd.

When Boyd said he'd learned not to argue with himself, that also seemed like a dig at Raylan. I like that Boyd recognises Raylan is troubled and reckless.

There is a foreboding around Raylan imo. He may not make it to the end. Boyd's comment about Raylan not being around much longer could also be another hint. Of course it could mean his moving to Florida, or after seeing how eager to go to the draw Raylan still is, a comment about his time on earth. It would tie in with how Boyd sees Harlan dying, he's perceptive.

• Love 2

That spoiler from Febgirl makes alot of sense. Things are really tense, you guys!

I have to believe Boyd knows about Ava - he always knows. Even after what happened to Dewey, I'm hoping Boyd & Ava (& Carl) can make it out together.

I love Wynne's new glasses, too.

My only complaint about this episode is that if Dewey's Necklace proves to be the Chekhov's gun of this season, I'll be pissed.

I was wondering the same thing. Not sure if I would like it if it turns out that's what brings Boyd down. Not sure that it could though.

I'm going to miss this show, the characters and dialogue. The scenes with Choo Choo, Tim and Rayland cracked me up. I loved when Rayland "returned" the keys to Choo Choo and they flew past him and hit the wall. The look on Rayland's face was great.

Ava really is treading into dangerous territory.  I feel like she's barely keeping her head above water.  Not sure how she can survive this, and I'm not sure if she will.  Then again, I really think anyone is fair game at this point.

I'm really hoping that when the dust settles, Ava walks off into the sunset with some of Boyd's purloined loot.  I don't care one way or the other if Boyd is with her, just that she gets away.  That woman's been through enough.

Edited by Puffaroo

So now we know why Sam Elliott always wears a moustache. #lipless

On the moustache tip, I am happy to see that Wynn Duffy is reunited with his-- the lack of said 'stache was just disturbing.

Edited by Febgirl

So now we know why Sam Elliott always wears a moustache. #lipless

Don't laugh, but I cracked myself up last night, when I finally realized who Sam Elliott, sans moustache, reminds me of:

ae28274a9c8856cdfd70566944438a2c870047e4

Okay, you can laugh.

Edited by Bcharmer
  • Love 11

I cannot watch that scene with him and Mary Steenburgen without thinking of that turtle. I can't un-see it now. If he says "duuuuuude" any time this season, I think I'll just die from laughing so hard.

• Love 2

You people aren't serious, are you, about the older couple being murdered? How in heaven's name would Dillahunt, et. al. cover that up? And that would really be awful. They stood their ground only to be murdered? All kinds of wrong.

I don't understand why Ava doesn't dial it down a notch. Surely she must see that her behavior just sends all kinds of signals to Boyd that she's no longer in his camp. And has he caught on, or is he just too in love with her?

I miss Dewey. No one will take his place. 

• Love 1

You people aren't serious, are you, about the older couple being murdered? 

That's definitely the impression I got. Those rolls of plastic indicated they were about to be Dextered.  That would take care of the evidence. They just need to get rid of the bodies. Guess we'll have to find out.

That's definitely the impression I got. Those rolls of plastic indicated they were about to be Dextered.  That would take care of the evidence. They just need to get rid of the bodies. Guess we'll have to find out.

Yeah, me too. Cause he snarked that that would teach them to call him a peacock.  I was so glad the alluded to it and we didn't get details because.... :shudder:

I notice they didn't take Choo Choo. I'm really loving old Choo Choo. He's filling the void Dewey left.

Yeah that old couple is definitely dead. Agreed it's not very realistic given everyone knows these guys are in town harassing people to sell so there is basically no way they'd get away with it, but it serves to establish just how awful these people are. They killed'em.

The old couple are definitely dead and plastic-wrapped.

I'm debating about Boyd's thoughts on Ava at the moment. The real beauty of it is that even if he does suspect, or suspect strongly, that she is involved in giving information to the marshals, I don't think he would be acting any differently. I think he would give her enough trust to make it come out in some other way than asking her about his suspicions. That being said, I'm a little annoyed with Raylan coincidentally showing up at the office of the blackmail victim at the appointed time. Way to potentially point at Ava. (Assuming Raylan knew that Boyd knew Ava had found and moved the papers. If he didn't, then it was still too cute to show up right then, but not quite as bad.)

• Love 3

You people aren't serious, are you, about the older couple being murdered? How in heaven's name would Dillahunt, et. al. cover that up? And that would really be awful. They stood their ground only to be murdered? All kinds of wrong.

Plastic wrap and all that other stuff means no evidence left behind.  But Dillahunt is known around town for offering cash to buy out properties.  That's a pretty good cover so long as no one else ends up dead.  All he has to say is that the couple took the offer and he has no idea what they did after that.  A couple of forged documents (which probably were taken care of right before he murdered them) and he's good.  A suggestion that the couple might have retired to Mexico might also be helpful.  Sure, it's wrong.  But I think that's the point.  Dillahunt isn't supposed to be a bunny.