Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E15: Lumio, Napwell, TurboPup, Bello Verde

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

A San Francisco man brings the Sharks a unique and elegant lighting solution; a duo from Menlo Park, Cal., show up in pajamas to make their pitch for a wearable technology; actor Dean Cain and UFC fighter Urijah Faber endorse an entrepreneur's custom-tailored suits. Also: a complete food bar for canines; and an update on Hold Your Haunches shapewear from Season 5.

They were doing so well up until the suit guy.  Not a single pitch that I found annoying, and then suddenly there was this...thing I wanted to kick in the teeth.

Other than that, really loved the Lumio, and Robert was exactly the right partner for him.  If my apartment wasn't furnished mainly Early IKEA, I'd be a customer.  Maybe went I get out of school and can actually own a home where my husband and I can walk two abreast.

Didn't care for the NapWell (and I'm a weirdo who actually uses a sleep mask because even the slightest amount of light will wake me), but I loved the two guys.  Particularly the MD/PHd candidate, who makes me feel like even more of a slacker than I already feel some days.

I'm a cat person, not a dog person, but I thought TurboPup was a great product, really loved the woman, and even though I thought Daymond was kind of an odd fit for that deal (I wish Barbara had been there) better that they got a good outcome.  Daymond was Tweeting that his own dog is ready for one during the show.  I wish her a lot of success.

Yeah, the suit guy...right in his horse teeth.

• Love 3

I like the Lumio.  Would totally get a small one and keep it in my glove compartment.  Never know.

Sleep mask people maybe should have used it on themselves.  They were very bland.

Doggy bar.  Meh.   If she wasn't a veteran, I doubt they'd have been as nice.  Could be a good product for a very small market.  Now if she can make it for both humans and dogs...

Hold Your Haunches.  There's a 20% off Girl Power sale right now.  Still over $100.  Can't see spending that much on leggings or pants.

Suit dude.  Besides being loud and off topic, his suit was all bunchy in the arms.  I don't think he was a good salesman because he didn't know how to read the room.

• Love 2

The suit guy was a MANIAC, plus, he couldn't even shave for the pitch? His fighter friend with the urinary name looks like Little Lord Fauntleroy.

I have a hard time getting to sleep, and then once I'm finally asleep, waking up, so the mask sounded good to me but I can't even deal with those breathing strips on my face at night, much less a whole mask.

Oh, my god, yes. Why would anyone invest in a custom suit company when the owner shows up in such an ill-fitting suit? It looked like he was wearing four sweaters underneath. And he kept trying to force them to listen to him yammer on about stuff that was of no interest to them.

• Love 2

I really love Lumio and the TurboPup was great. As for the PhD students, they can use the masks for their dissertation. It would be a great study and plenty of people would love to know why people get headaches from bad power naps. I mean really, that is a 160 paper right there and plenty of studies to support it. I go from trying to make it into the stores to getting it to finish up their PhD. So hated the last guy and I love Dean Cain but really, he was horrible, 25% should have taken that.

I am so happy that Robert was the shark that the Lumino guy chose to partner with. I often think he gets overlooked in favour of the more pushy or well known sharks even though often his offers are just as legit. Robert is always the bright spot on the show for me from the way he treats kids in the tank (and I am not even a huge fan of kids in the shark tank) to his obvious love of animals.

Wow, you would think that someone would have advised the suit guy to wear something a little better fitted and less loud. I think it was Kevin that called him an elf? I was thinking leprechaun. Such a disconnect between the product he was trying to sell and how he can across.

• Love 8

I think it was Kevin that called him an elf? I was thinking leprechaun.

Kevin did call him a leprechaun.  

This isn't really a comment about the episode per se, but Mark's comment about how after he'd made it really big he spent thousands upon thousands of dollars for expensive bespoke suits that he's worn maybe three times only reinforced my idea that he'd show up in sweatpants if he could get away with it.

Lumio is available at both the MoMA and at Cooper-Hewitt, the Smithsonian's museum about design that's here in New York.  I really have no use or place for it, but man, I'm really tempted.

• Love 3

I loved Lumino. It looks like you can pre order the small version for $100.00 which isn't too bad. I have an upstairs landing with no outlets and the Lumino would be the perfect lighting solution for me! Alas, I just spend $2,500.00 on a new bed so I'm done spending money for a bit :)

Eta: I especially like that you can charge other devices with the small lumino. Just add a solar panel and it would be perfect!

Edited by Mountainair
  • Love 2

I thought the Sharks were a little short sighted on the sleep mask. I feel like most people enjoy a nap (not me) and have experience with that zombifying feeling that comes with waking up at the wrong time. If the jammie wearers had taken the time to do some research on market size for those really popular (and expensive!) wake up lights made by Phillips and other companies, it may have helped illuminate the money behind the mask.

This is of course assuming that with whatever light, timer and battery stuff is in the mask, it's actually comfortable enough to sleep in.

Edited by piewarmer
  • Love 1

The Lumino looks fantastic. I think Shark Tank is going to break them, even with Robert's help to get ready. The presenter was fantastic too; he had all the answers and then some. I'm surprised he could keep track of all the offers. Robert going first, it was obvious he was going to come back with a modified offer. 

I think even the producers were sharked when Kevin increased the valuation. "Hold on, cut! cut! I think Kevin's sick. Should we call in another Shark?" Glad Robert got the deal in the end.

The mask guys seemed ot have a decent idea, but its hard to show. Maybe if they can keep going for it to sink in slowly, they'll do well but it's not good for the Shark Tank boom.

The dog food is a great idea, and the angle (going with the Sports stores) is a great idea. But the sales killed her. Still the pity deal she got, should be good to spin it to a more established company to blossom. That she found that new angle of the market will be exploited soon I'm sure.

Suit guy is annoying as hell. I suspect his illfitting suit was intentional, but between his attitude "Talk over everyone" pitch and the look, it backfires badly. It is a subtle thing, but I like that Robert mentioned Toronto first in his list of cities. :)  And insulting Damon's offer like that killed the deal. They drew it out for the show, but as soon as he said Damon's offer was insulting, it was dead. I think all of the sharks dodged a Joe-sized bullet there. 

• Love 1

I still not sold on Lumino.  It operates on batteries for 8 hours, so I assume you can change the batteries after that.  What size batteries?  What size bulb?  How this is different than a battery operated portable LED light, I don't know.  Except this opens like a book.

I can relate to waking up from a daytime nap feeling logy and dull, but not sure how the Napwell would alleviate that. If I'm napping, it's on a weekend and not like I need to awaken at a specific time. Maybe I missed the entire point.

The Lumio was pretty but I'd never buy one because of the low battery life. I don't need one more damned thing to recharge every day.

Edited by lordonia

I think, at the end of Turbopup, Robert said, "Can I have the dog?" I loved him last night. I really loved that he got Lumio (which looked awesome and is the 1st thing on Shark Tank that I'm considering buying). I was afraid that he wouldn't even though he was the 1st shark to make an offer. It was nice to hear that the entrepreneur went into the pitch hoping to work with Robert.

• Love 2

I think, at the end of Turbopup, Robert said, "Can I have the dog?" I loved him last night. I really loved that he got Lumio (which looked awesome and is the 1st thing on Shark Tank that I'm considering buying). I was afraid that he wouldn't even though he was the 1st shark to make an offer. It was nice to hear that the entrepreneur went into the pitch hoping to work with Robert.

Robert has said numerous times that one of the things that attracts him as an investor is interesting designs.  This was right up his alley, and he's a really good partner for this deal.

I think if there's any pattern to how the Sharks invest, Robert goes for design and sports, Lori goes for stuff that would sell on QVC and/or as an impulse buy on a big box endcap somewhere, Barbara goes for food, Kevin goes for cash flow (with the occasional digression like Wicked Good Cupcakes), Mark goes for things that amuse him (billionaires and their toys), and Daymond tends to towards fashion and home products.

• Love 1

There was a moment during suit guy's presentation when he finally got around to mentioning he now owned the bespoke suit company he'd previously worked for, having bought the name and assets in a bankruptcy sale. Mark (I think it was Mark) asked how much he'd paid for it. The guy actually hesitated and I SO wanted him to tell the sharks it was none of their business. Because you could just see him trying to evade the question. Why did Daymond make him an offer at all? He never even explained what his "new concept" was!

I didn't totally hate the suit guy. He reminded me of a reality TV show villain -- someone so ridiculously over-the-top that he's obviously there to get TV time/exposure instead of a deal. $350,000 for 6% was a pretty good indication of that. You could tell the editors had a ball with his faces -- as the recap mentioned, he was like a comic book bad guy.

I prefer him over the "I'm doing this for my family" and "This is my last chance" contestants. Show me a savvy businessperson with an interesting idea who talks mainly about their business, with only a cursory mention of their personal life -- like the majority of the pitches last night -- and I'm a happy viewer.

I prefer him over the "I'm doing this for my family" and "This is my last chance" contestants. Show me a savvy businessperson with an interesting idea who talks mainly about their business, with only a cursory mention of their personal life -- like the majority of the pitches last night -- and I'm a happy viewer.

He didn't seem that savvy if he couldn't give anyone answers to their questions.

Even the TurboPup woman, who hadn't even really proved her concept, had solid answers to every question the Sharks put to her, and a lot of them even complimented her on making smart decisions, even if she was a little too early to really get an investment from them.

• Love 1

I'd buy a Lumino. I thought it was really cool. I also thought TurboPup would be great for people going on road trips with their dogs. We have done the the trip from TX to CA several times and it would be nice to be able to feed my dog something without having to stop just to have her turn her nose up at kibble. (She's a picky eater). Or just to have something in an emergency for them on a road trip.

Suit guy was annoying. I wouldn't be able to stand working with him.

Perhaps had he been introduced as 'Reeeeek' instead of Superman, a deal would have been made.

I see what you did there! OG 90120 forever!

• Love 3

During the ST Update, they showed how angry Lori and Barbara got when all the men went out of the deal for the women's accessories company. Barbara even complained how the men ALWAYS do that when a female-centric product is shown.

Cut to half an hour later, when the custom suit guy was pitching his company. Lori's comment: 'Well, this is a men's clothing company, which I know nothing about. I'm out." LOL

• Love 8

I thought the Lumio was cool, but $190 was way too much imo. I'm surprised the sharks were so excited by it. It seemed like something that could easily be knocked off and sold for $19.99 somewhere. I'm glad Robert got the deal, though. I hate that he always gets shut out.

I work a weird split shift, so I take a lot of naps. A good power nap is supposed to be around 30 minutes. Me personally, the problem I have is it takes me a while to fall asleep, so it is impossible for me to set an alarm for 30 minutes of sleeping, because chances are I will still be awake when there is 10 minutes left in the pre-determiend nap period. What I would like to see someone make is a device that can detect when you are asleep and then set a 30 minute alarm for you.

Edited by 90PercentGravity
  • Love 4

During the ST Update, they showed how angry Lori and Barbara got when all the men went out of the deal for the women's accessories company. Barbara even complained how the men ALWAYS do that when a female-centric product is shown.

Plus this case was a crappy example. Am I wrong that when they're both there it pretty much always means Daymond is not? So...their biggest competition amongst the other sharks for this women's clothing product wasn't even there. I know there's probably been episodes where someone other than Daymond made an offer on a non-men's clothing pitch, but for the most part, I am not surprised when the other male sharks don't make an offer on something fashion, and I don't think it's necessarily gender-related. I know there were probably other non-fashion women-skewing products the men probably went out on from other episodes that they may have been referring to, but it still pisses me off when people cite gender as a reason for something when it's conspicuously not because it undermines the times when that actually does happen. Edited by theatremouse

During the ST Update, they showed how angry Lori and Barbara got when all the men went out of the deal for the women's accessories company. Barbara even complained how the men ALWAYS do that when a female-centric product is shown.Cut to half an hour later, when the custom suit guy was pitching his company. Lori's comment: 'Well, this is a men's clothing company, which I know nothing about. I'm out." LOL

I noticed the same thing! :-)

• Love 2

I think even the producers were sharked when Kevin increased the valuation. "Hold on, cut! cut! I think Kevin's sick. Should we call in another Shark?" Glad Robert got the deal in the end.

Everyone was shocked when Kevin said he doubled the valuation (and they had a right to be shocked), but Kevin didn't actually increase the offer at all - he had the worst valuation.  IIRC, the guy wanted $250,000 for 8% - a valuation of $3,125,000.  Kevin said he was increasing the valuation to 6 million, supposedly because he was paying $250,000 and getting 4%.  However, Kevin's offer was that he puts in $250,000, gets paid $7 ($9?) per unit until he is paid back $500,000, and then owns 4% of the company.   Kevin would end up getting paid $250,000 and still owns 4% - that is a negative valuation.

I actually use both a sleep mask and one of those lamps that gradually turns on in the morning (I only really use it in the winter when mornings are dark). The idea of the light right there on my eyes weirds me out a bit, but assuming its at a confortable level I would be interested in testing it out. His much were they charging for one?

I also have a terrible time napping because I always wake up groggy and with a headache and super grumpy. I don't believe their product would fix that, but I would pay $20 or less to find out. I can't remember the price point - more than that and Id really have to think harder about it.

Edited by LeGrandElephant
  • Love 1

I thought one of the napwell guys said $100. That sounds absurd tho and none of the sharks commented (that we saw). But I also think their friends who were trying the product were asked to tell them how much they would pay.

That green suit was ill fitting and an extremely poor color choice. Why a man would select green is beyond me.

• Love 1

"So, it's an energy bar for dogs?" "No, but it is a bar for dogs designed to sustain energy"

I thought it was an interesting product. It seemed like the kind of thing that wouldn't sell a crazy amount, but instead have a crazy loyal following of dog owners who do a lot of camping or travelling or whatever and want something simple they can pack as a food for their dog. I mean a bunch of those would fit in a suitcase or backpack a lot more efficiently than a bag of kibble would.

I can relate to waking up from a daytime nap feeling logy and dull, but not sure how the Napwell would alleviate that. If I'm napping, it's on a weekend and not like I need to awaken at a specific time. Maybe I missed the entire point.

One thing Lori I think mentioned was that more people I think (like myself) have problems either falling asleep or staying asleep compared to waking up. This mask doesn't really solve that problem I don't think. I didn't even understand how it stops you from waking up in a very deep part of your sleep cycle. I mean what happens if the lights come on at the time that is going to give you a headache. I also thought it was kind of funny that Mark called those guys out for having crazy educational credentials, but the sleep mask was all they could come up with?

The light thing was interesting. Not something I would probably buy based on the price point, so I am not sure how it would sell. One thing I found interesting about the pitch, which you don't hear too often, is Mark mentioned that when the show airs there sales will take off like crazy. During pitches you don't really see the effect of the show come up too often.

One thing Lori I think mentioned was that more people I think (like myself) have problems either falling asleep or staying asleep compared to waking up. This mask doesn't really solve that problem I don't think. I didn't even understand how it stops you from waking up in a very deep part of your sleep cycle. I mean what happens if the lights come on at the time that is going to give you a headache.

I totally agree with the first part - What good is have a set time for it to wake you when you don't know how long it will take you to fall asleep?

And I think I have an answer for the second part - They said that 10 minutes before the set time to wake, the lights start coming on, gradually.  They don't come on full strength at once, waking you immediately, like an alarm would.  I think the theory is that, as it gets brighter and brighter, your body moves out of the deeper sleep cycle.  

I can see how the sleep mask might be good for some people, but I don't think it is useful for most.

I thought it was an interesting product. It seemed like the kind of thing that wouldn't sell a crazy amount, but instead have a crazy loyal following of dog owners who do a lot of camping or travelling or whatever and want something simple they can pack as a food for their dog. I mean a bunch of those would fit in a suitcase or backpack a lot more efficiently than a bag of kibble would.

I was totally Ms. Not Understanding this episode because I didn't get the point of these, either. If it's a meal replacement so owners don't have to carry large amounts of dog food with them on outdoor trips, won't the dogs still be very hungry if they're used to eating, say, 2 cups of food per meal and the bar is 6 oz or whatever?

Yeah I totally agree about the sleep mask. They spent all this time talking about REM sleep cycles and then pitch a product that doesn't take into account where you are in the cycle before waking you up. I wish one of the sharks had called them on that. the $100 price point was way too high as well.

Re: lumio. It's definitely a cool object, but what exactly would you do with it other than opening and closing it, Raiders of the Lost Ark style? It doesn't provide directional light, so it's no good for task lighting. It dies after eight hours, so it's not even good for ambient or mood lighting for more than a single cocktail party. Pretty form, but no function.

• Love 1

Yeah I totally agree about the sleep mask. They spent all this time talking about REM sleep cycles and then pitch a product that doesn't take into account where you are in the cycle before waking you up. I wish one of the sharks had called them on that. the $100 price point was way too high as well.

Re: lumio. It's definitely a cool object, but what exactly would you do with it other than opening and closing it, Raiders of the Lost Ark style? It doesn't provide directional light, so it's no good for task lighting. It dies after eight hours, so it's not even good for ambient or mood lighting for more than a single cocktail party. Pretty form, but no function.

Actually, he specifically said that it could be used for task lighting- if you only open it partially, you can direct the light wherever you want.

Plus, it's not like you throw it away after the 8 hours, you can have it plugged in like a regular lamp. I don't know about you, but pretty much every light in my house has to be attached to an electrical outlet/source, so something that worked for 8 hours without a cord would actually be kind of nice, then you just plug it in to recharge when you aren't using it- like overnight or whatever.

It seems just as useful as any other light source, with the added cool factor and being able to use it in a bunch of different ways/places around the house.

• Love 1

I was very surprised the sharks jumped on lumio. Perhaps his numbers were already super-awesome. I know he said a few but I'm assuming more detail basically already proves it even more so. But as soon as I saw it I thought: oh that's interesting looking, but totally a design pitch, not anything doing something special or new. I thought they'd all go out. Except it does look like an extra expensive tsochke from Brookstone...so the sharks probably a good target for it. Clearly, I am not.

I Ioved the lumio, too. I was really digging the way the magnets could be displayed on that armature. Think of that above a dining table. Just turn the armature horizontally.