Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Movies: Small Town Royalty Magically Celebrating Rekindled Love! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Why have a Brit use an American accent?  I'm not sure I would be too freaked out about 2 English people to enjoy a Hallmark movie, but if for some reason they needed an American, why didn't they hire one (or a Canadian?)  I tuned in late to the movie but enjoyed the parts that I saw, except for the bad accent.

Christmas Bedtime Stories has not played here yet, but Erin Cahill is a no-go for me, even though I like Steve Lund.  Sounds like I won't miss much when I don't watch.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

The worst part is that I didn't know I'd hate it for most of the movie.  I though it had a more serious flavor to it but I misread it as a meditation in how grief can sometimes bubble up again with major life changes.  And I thought it was going to be a journey for her to move on into her new life.  It was pleasant enough operating as that.

I could see the end of Christmas Bedtime Stories a mile away.  It is, after all, Hallmarklandia where miracles occur because of true love and Christmas and Balsam Hill trees.  I agree, the reactions were totally ludicrous.  Missing three years, turns up, ho hum, welcome home dad, let's eat.  Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I thought the London one was OK, I did enjoy having someone outside the usual bland Hallmark stable of actors.  The actor stuggling with the accent was distracting - he was so poor at it that I kept wondering if I had missed something and there was some backstory of him being raised in an English boarding school or something.

• Applause 1
  • Love 2

It is Hallmarklandia but I think this went a step too far for Hallmarklandia. 

2 hours ago, bankerchick said:

Why have a Brit use an American accent?  I'm not sure I would be too freaked out about 2 English people to enjoy a Hallmark movie, but if for some reason they needed an American, why didn't they hire one (or a Canadian?) 

You wouldn't and I wouldn't either but I guess Hallmark suspects it'd be a no go.  And many actors could pull it off.  Kemp, who I like quite a bit, couldn't quite. I guess they hired a Brit because it'd make production easier since it filmed in London and the whole cast was British.

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

You wouldn't and I wouldn't either but I guess Hallmark suspects it'd be a no go.  And many actors could pull it off.  Kemp, who I like quite a bit, couldn't quite. I guess they hired a Brit because it'd make production easier since it filmed in London and the whole cast was British.

I didn’t watch Jolly Good Christmas, so maybe it won’t make sense to the story/plot, but couldn’t the two leads be British? Then, there’s no need to fake any accents. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, norcalgal said:

I didn’t watch Jolly Good Christmas, so maybe it won’t make sense to the story/plot, but couldn’t the two leads be British? Then, there’s no need to fake any accents. 

Especially because most people seem to love British accents. I agree with all of you that his voice was distracting. That was a weird choice, especially since he couldn't pull it off. I will re-watch, but probably fast forward through just to look at London. 

1 hour ago, norcalgal said:

No.  He didn't need to be British, only new to London. But that's why we're talking about it.  I can't think of any made-for-US holiday movie that doesn't star at least 1 American character.   They might exist but this is clearly Hallmark"s line in the sand.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

No.  He didn't need to be British, only new to London. But that's why we're talking about it.  I can't think of any made-for-US holiday movie that doesn't star at least 1 American character.   They might exist but this is clearly Hallmark"s line in the sand.

This is dumb by Hallmark.  Do they really think an American audience won’t watch unless at least one main character is American?  How provincial minded of them.

yep, the massive success of James Bond film, or Harry Potter, or Dr. Who must be because there’s always an American (co)lead character! 

• Like 2
52 minutes ago, Clawdette said:

Let me echo Irlandesa’s opinion about Christmas Bedtime Stories. As the signs kept mounting I reassured myself that Hallmark would never opt for a cliche like that.

Absolutely sloppy and irresponsible. 

I third it. It had the potential to an interesting story but they went for cliche and corny. I was disappointed. 

• Like 1

So glad to come here and see the reactions about two of this weekend's new movies matching mine - watched Christmas Bedtime Stories last night and was just so irate - not that Colby survived, but that he's going to show up after three years as a prisoner, with the SAME HAIRCUT, no signs that he's been a prisoner (not only not a hair out of place, but he's not lost any weight?), and that he'd basically wandered to some embassy which shipped him back to his DAUGHTER'S FATHER/DAUGHTER DANCE, without a word to his country of origin, let alone his military commanders? But then how did he get the nice new uniform, oh what, surely his captors had it hanging in the closet in a dry cleaning bag?  No. Just NO.

And as far as Jolly Good Christmas -- Will Kemp, I love you, man, but please for the love of god, never attempt an American accent again. PLEEEEEASE? (very happy to see that he's signed a multi-movie contract with Hallmark, BTW).

• Like 2
  • Love 3

I really enjoyed Ghosts of Christmas Always because of the very engaging two leads.  So nice to see (to me) new faces on Hallmark — they were both warm and funny and pulled me into the story.  The actors who played the little kids were not good at all, but fortunately, they were only in a couple of scenes.  I liked the different twist on A Christmas Carol.  I would watch again.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

I agree.  Ghosts of Christmas Always was really good.  It had multiple twists on the Scrooge tale.  The leads were good.  I especially liked Ian Harding.  I don't know if these two are one-offs for the network but I'd love to see more of them.

• Love 2

Nothing about Christmas Bedtime Stories made sense.  The general said the military has declared her husband dead, but she seems to still be living on a military base in the US?  That makes no sense; wouldn't her husband's "death" have severed her right to base housing?  Or is she just living near the base (I was not fully engaged with the movie).  Even if she's a civilian employee, I was under the impression that that doesn't get you into base housing, at least not stateside?  

And how is she just randomly calling up "the general" for random talks?  I could understand, maybe, someone further down the chain of command, but that seems ridiculous (although my mom knows someone who during the 1st Gulf War did manage, when her son wasn't calling or answering her letters, to get the direct phone number of the the captain on the ship her son was serving on as a cook. and it's not as if his mom got ahold of an admiral)

And like the rest of you, I thought the husband just randomly appearing at the dance was riduculous.  It would have made more sense for him to have been flown to Landstuhl for medical treatment and for her and her daughter to be put on plane to Germany.

• Like 2
On 10/27/2022 at 3:01 PM, Dani said:

I was wondering the same thing. Interesting choice to bring back the Christmas Under Wraps character and have their actresses who is most closely associated with CCB star in it. 

On 10/28/2022 at 6:36 PM, luvthepros said:

Bit of a stab in the back to CCB, I would say.

Stephanie Tanner ends up with DJ Tanner's boyfriend. It's too bad the movie itself didn't come close to living up to the behind-the-scenes facts of this movie that wrote itself. Lol. 

How did CCB's character end up in California in the first place? In Christmas Under Wraps, wasn't that doctor fellowship she wanted in Boston?

Totally agree with others about Ghosts of Christmas Always. It was wonderful. More of these two actors, please. And all the twists to the usual tropes were great. We've had Christmas Carol storylines before, but this was quite different. And we've had storylines with ghosts/angels/whatever falling in love with mortals, and this was definitely a new take on that, given it was the point the whole time rather than something that was never supposed to happen.

I even saw it trending briefly on twitter earlier, which I can't imagine happens often with these movies.

My only two super minor quibbles were the actor who played the lead's mom looking way too young in the present scenes (but she was barely there, so not a big deal) and the terribly dubbed singing of the previously scrooged lady. But that was also not enough to really put a dent in how much I enjoyed it. And all the other secondary characters were great.

Edited by redpencil
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, LexieLily said:

How did CCB's character end up in California in the first place? In Christmas Under Wraps, wasn't that doctor fellowship she wanted in Boston?

No explanation, just a random comment about it.  Hallmark has always been crappy with continuity.

8 hours ago, dalek said:

Nothing about Christmas Bedtime Stories made sense.

Hallmark has always been crappy with continuity but this mess jumped the shark with absurdity.

I wasn't familiar with Will Kemp and was unaware that he's British. Nevertheless, I must have the world's worst ear, because I didn't find his American accent odd. Someone mentioned High Dancy up thread, and while I know he's British, I never noticed his American accent on Law &Order, to be hinky. 

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Cetacean said:

could see the end of Christmas Bedtime Stories a mile away.  It is, after all, Hallmarklandia where miracles occur because of true love and Christmas and Balsam Hill trees.  I agree, the reactions were totally ludicrous.  Missing three years, turns up, ho hum, welcome home dad, let's eat.  Stupid, stupid, stupid.

20 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

13 hours ago, saoirse said:

So glad to come here and see the reactions about two of this weekend's new movies matching mine - watched Christmas Bedtime Stories last night and was just so irate - not that Colby survived, but that he's going to show up after three years as a prisoner, with the SAME HAIRCUT, no signs that he's been a prisoner (not only not a hair out of place, but he's not lost any weight?), and that he'd basically wandered to some embassy which shipped him back to his DAUGHTER'S FATHER/DAUGHTER DANCE, without a word to his country of origin, let alone his military commanders? But then how did he get the nice new uniform, oh what, surely his captors had it hanging in the closet in a dry cleaning bag?  No. Just NO.

11 hours ago, dalek said:

Nothing about Christmas Bedtime Stories made sense.  The general said the military has declared her husband dead, but she seems to still be living on a military base in the US?  That makes no sense; wouldn't her husband's "death" have severed her right to base housing?  Or is she just living near the base (I was not fully engaged with the movie).  Even if she's a civilian employee, I was under the impression that that doesn't get you into base housing, at least not stateside?  

If you look at the facebook pages you would think that Christmas Bedtime Stories was one of the best movies ever made. Until I came here I thought that I must be one of the only people who absolutely hated it for all of the reasons quoted above. Other thank Steve Lund there was nothing redeeming about this movie. At the end my takeaway was "Poor Pierce/Steve Lund." that was it. It was a slap in the face to him. I hated, hated, hated it. Have I mentioned how much I disliked this movie?

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, ShelleySue said:

Until I came here I thought that I must be one of the only people who absolutely hated it for all of the reasons quoted above.

I was curious too so I looked for the Reddit thread for this movie.  They hated it too. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, dalek said:

The general said the military has declared her husband dead, but she seems to still be living on a military base in the US?  That makes no sense; wouldn't her husband's "death" have severed her right to base housing?  Or is she just living near the base (I was not fully engaged with the movie).  Even if she's a civilian employee, I was under the impression that that doesn't get you into base housing, at least not stateside?  

Actually, since the military housing was privatized, anyone can live in housing IF they pay the going housing rate for that installation and there is empty housing available. You sign a lease just like in the outside world. Housing is prioritized for active duty. It is not cheap! As a widow she would have been entitled to live on base for up to a year as if she was still an active duty dependent.

ETA - Hallmark never gets anything military correct anyway (namely the uniforms!) and just lucked out that she could have still been there.

Edited by Schnickelfritz

I think Ghosts of Christmas Always will be the jewel in this year's crop of holiday movies. Other than its clunky title, the movie had everything most Hallmark movies don't - a well-written, well-acted script that was both smart and funny. The actors who played the leads were both appealing but I was especially fond of Lori Tan Chinn who played the grumpy Ghost of Christmas Past.

Edited by anniebird
  • Like 1
14 hours ago, saoirse said:

And as far as Jolly Good Christmas -- Will Kemp, I love you, man, but please for the love of god, never attempt an American accent again. PLEEEEEASE? (very happy to see that he's signed a multi-movie contract with Hallmark, BTW).

Saoirse, thank you for the note that Will Kemp has signed for more movies with Hallmark!  I'm glad but a little disappointed too, because I thought he was a likely successor to some Hugh Jackman roles - a very similar type, and he was in 'Van Helsing' with Jackman, evidently.  But, whatever pays the rent is a good career move.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

I wasn't familiar with Will Kemp and was unaware that he's British. Nevertheless, I must have the world's worst ear, because I didn't find his American accent odd. Someone mentioned High Dancy up thread, and while I know he's British, I never noticed his American accent on Law &Order, to be hinky. 

If you can, catch him in the last season (or was it last 2 seasons???) of the defunct WB show Reign.  He has his natural accent throughout.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

Something you may not know about Will Kemp......he is an accomplished trained ballet dancer. If you haven't seen it yet, watch him in Christmas Waltz with Lacey Chabert. He doesn't dance ballet but you can see his most certainly a trained dancer.

46 minutes ago, norcalgal said:

If you can, catch him in the last season (or was it last 2 seasons???) of the defunct WB show Reign.  He has his natural accent throughout.

Doesn't Will Kemp use his natural accent in the other Hallmark movies he has been in (besides this latest venture).

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I was curious too so I looked for the Reddit thread for this movie.  They hated it too. 

Interesting.  I'm not sure I've ever seen a Reddit Hallmark thread where they didn't think the movie was the best thing ever filmed and they love, love, love all the actresses I hate.  I don't spend much time there for this reason (though I do love to troll them because there is a guy who loses it every time I say I hate an actress he likes) but maybe I'll try again.  They might have new commenters.

On 10/21/2022 at 8:56 PM, luvthepros said:

This is the first year of "Countdown to Christmas" that I realize I am going to miss Reba and her crazy dysfunctional family in the mornings on The Hallmark Channel. I started watching Reba in January of this year so was never affected by the 24/7 Hallmark Christmas movies.

I used to miss I Love Lucy when Countdown to Christmas started. 

8 hours ago, kirinan said:

I already have Peacock (through a friend), so YAY.

I don't generally watch many Hallmark movies anymore but I read a review for A very Married Christmas and I really enjoyed it! 

I've liked Kristoffer Polaha since Valentine so that helps but I thought it was a very sweet movie. 

The unhappy couple parts felt very realistic, there was no big drama why they were living separate lives just that they'd stopped communicating, which is what drives so many couples apart. Similarly, there was no real big thing that brought them back together just having fun, remembering the good times and agreeing to try and repriotize their lives. 

I don't get why her panic at the end, whilst realistic, meant they had to immediately pack up and go back to reality though. Except to give us the big speech, which could have been done without it. I agree with everyone up thread that 2 keys is not a big deal, especially as we saw the need for it in the movie with them running personal errands and walking Gerry. The two room suite for a married couple would have been the bigger deal IMO, if they wanted to make something of it. 

If the owners are routinely dropping ornaments though windshields and comping those therapy guests (not to mention providing covert marriage counselling) I hope they're getting well paid for it by Lauren though. And since this is still Hallmarklandia no one is going to sue them.

• Love 1

November Christmas on at the ungodly hour of  6 am today.  Hallmark at its finest.  Absolutely nothing they make these days comes close to this quality. 

What happened to make quality take the back seat?  Makes me sad to know they have chosen the path to mediocrity - and worse.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3
23 hours ago, kirinan said:

More and more, it seems like Peacock is a streaming service worth paying for (or obtaining in some other manner - no judgment!).

Because we subscribe to Comcast, we get Peacock for "free". 

I haven't done the math, but it almost seems like if someone has a majority of the streamers (Apple, Amazon, Netflix, Peacock, Paramount, HBO, etc.) it almost adds up to the cost of an average monthly cable bill. 

• Like 1
On 10/29/2022 at 12:44 PM, bankerchick said:

I am still mad about last year's Nine Kittens of Christmas.  Didn't we all believe that when Brown Eyes climbed on the top of the firetruck, they were mountain lions who would stay together forever? (It's scary that I know the movie well enough to remember these little details.)  Instead, she moves away to Florida!  Sure, she comes back to town and they fall in love again, but why should I believe them this time?

Wait, what??  I missed that they did a sequel.  And thank you for posting this.  I will not be watching it.  Nine Lives is one of my favourite Christmas movies and the ending is just perfect.  I can't believe they did this!  

On 10/26/2022 at 7:35 PM, kirinan said:

I saw something interesting this evening while flipping through our cable guide looking for something to watch: the movie Call Me Mrs. Miracle was showing on the new Great American Family channel. Wasn't that a Hallmark production?

It seems a little surprising that a Hallmark movie would show up on what could be seen as a rival channel. I know Bill Abbott, who used to be the CEO at Hallmark, is the head of the new channel, so maybe he's got something to do with it. But still, does it seem odd that he's not only luring away their talent, but showing their movies as well? 

I have the feeling as the former CEO, he has rights to some of the Hallmark movies. Considering they are a new channel, they probably need content.

On 10/30/2022 at 8:52 AM, Cetacean said:

I could see the end of Christmas Bedtime Stories a mile away.  It is, after all, Hallmarklandia where miracles occur because of true love and Christmas and Balsam Hill trees.  I agree, the reactions were totally ludicrous.  Missing three years, turns up, ho hum, welcome home dad, let's eat.  Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I thought the London one was OK, I did enjoy having someone outside the usual bland Hallmark stable of actors.  The actor stuggling with the accent was distracting - he was so poor at it that I kept wondering if I had missed something and there was some backstory of him being raised in an English boarding school or something.

Yes, I thought the end to Christmas Bedtime Stories was weird. He's apparently been a prisoner of war for three years and it was basically nothing that he suddenly appeared again?!!

I liked a Jolly Good Christmas. It was strange that they had an English actor faking an American accent but I guess the notion was supposed to be that he hadn't lived there long and didn't know his way around. I like both Will Kemp and Reshma Shetty..

• Like 1
8 hours ago, norcalgal said:

More and more, it seems like Peacock is a streaming service worth paying for (or obtaining in some other manner - no judgment!).

Because we subscribe to Comcast, we get Peacock for "free". 

I haven't done the math, but it almost seems like if someone has a majority of the streamers (Apple, Amazon, Netflix, Peacock, Paramount, HBO, etc.) it almost adds up to the cost of an average monthly cable bill. 

Yeah it does. The trick is to share. I was the non intelligent individual that as paying for both cable AND streaming (back in 2020) because I’m extra like that, a friend put me on her discovery+ and peacock, while I had Disney+, Hulu, Appletv, HBO, Netflix and Amazon Prime. If you get a family or friend group together, each person pays for 2 services and then you all share, that’s the most economical way to do it. 

Last year I paid for the month of Frndly to watch Hallmark/Lifetime Christmas movies, and then cancelled it. Glad it’s going to be on Peacock this year. 

14 hours ago, Cetacean said:

Absolutely nothing they make these days comes close to this quality. 

This was a Hallmark Hall of Fame movie which aired on CBS. Very different circumstances and audiences.  And types of movies. 

8 hours ago, geekgirl921 said:

I have the feeling as the former CEO, he has rights to some of the Hallmark movies. Considering they are a new channel, they probably need content.

I doubt it's because he has the rights.  It's possible the Mrs. Miracle movies were acquisitions and not produced by Crown Media. Or they're licensing them to GAC. 

From what I'm reading about the Peacock deal, it doesn't sound like Peacock will have the rights to the movies very long.  It sounds like it'll work how Hallmark On Demand works which only allows movies to stream for a few days. For instance Ghosts of Christmas Always and Jolly Good Christmas are available On Demand but A Cozy Christmas Inn (and the movies before that) are not available. 

Because if they were to offer everything, then Hallmark Now wouldn't be worth having for Hallmark.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

This was a Hallmark Hall of Fame movie which aired on CBS. Very different circumstances and audiences.  And types of movies. 

Sure but still under the Hallmark label. Which makes comparisons inevitable.

On 10/31/2022 at 11:30 AM, anniebird said:

I think Ghosts of Christmas Always will be the jewel in this year's crop of holiday movies. Other than its clunky title, the movie had everything most Hallmark movies don't - a well-written, well-acted script that was both smart and funny. The actors who played the leads were both appealing but I was especially fond of Lori Tan Chinn who played the grumpy Ghost of Christmas Past.

As I said, I hated Christmas Bedtime Stories. One of my issues was that it was totally implausible. I'm not talking about the stories she told her daughter having morsels coming true the next day. I'm talking about things like him being held prisoner for three years and then escaping and showing up at the dance the next day looking healthy. The Department of Defense/US Government not notifying a family that an MIA person was found -- does happen -- I don't' think so. On the other hand, there being ghosts who show up once a year to show people the meaning of Christmas, which is implausible too, does not bother me in the least. A woman who has been dead for years, coming back to life and then living without any identification in the real world -- I am ok with that. Ghosts of Christmas Always is now one of my favorite holiday movies along with The Nine Lives of Christmas, The Christmas Card, The Most Wonderful Time of Year, and The Christmas Contract (not Hallmark). 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, ShelleySue said:

I'm talking about things like him being held prisoner for three years and then escaping and showing up at the dance the next day looking healthy. The Department of Defense/US Government not notifying a family that an MIA person was found -- does happen -- I don't' think so.

And she even called the General, who freely disclosed classified intel over the phone, and he had no idea that her husband had been found, even though the husband claimed he went through an embassy to get home. WHAT? It was such whiplash, and honestly, the guy playing Colby was not a great actor, and I thought it was going to turn in to some sort of Lifetime horror movie, when he was ominously explaining how he got there, and then, somewhat creepily said he was going to tell them a bedtime story. I know it was supposed to be heartwarming, but I was concerned for their safety. 

• LOL 1
22 hours ago, Elizabeth Anne said:
On 10/29/2022 at 12:44 PM, bankerchick said:

I am still mad about last year's Nine Kittens of Christmas.  Didn't we all believe that when Brown Eyes climbed on the top of the firetruck, they were mountain lions who would stay together forever? (It's scary that I know the movie well enough to remember these little details.)  Instead, she moves away to Florida!  Sure, she comes back to town and they fall in love again, but why should I believe them this time?

Wait, what??  I missed that they did a sequel.  And thank you for posting this.  I will not be watching it.  Nine Lives is one of my favourite Christmas movies and the ending is just perfect.  I can't believe they did this!  

By all means, watch the original again over this sequel.  The only saving grace of the new movie?  A Paul Campbell cameo.

Twice in the last 24 hours.  How to put this:  if the guy who has been flirting with you for the last several days runs into his ex and either kisses her on the cheek, or hugs her from the shoulders up, HE IS NOT INTO HER AND IS SAYING GOODBYE!!!  When he then approaches you with a smile and asks you to watch a movie, go caroling, go out for dinner, whatever, he is still into you.  My question is why he would bother after you are so rude to him that you can't even tell him why you're upset.

1 hour ago, ShelleySue said:

As I said, I hated Christmas Bedtime Stories. One of my issues was that it was totally implausible. I'm not talking about the stories she told her daughter having morsels coming true the next day. I'm talking about things like him being held prisoner for three years and then escaping and showing up at the dance the next day looking healthy. The Department of Defense/US Government not notifying a family that an MIA person was found -- does happen -- I don't' think so. On the other hand, there being ghosts who show up once a year to show people the meaning of Christmas, which is implausible too, does not bother me in the least. A woman who has been dead for years, coming back to life and then living without any identification in the real world -- I am ok with that. Ghosts of Christmas Always is now one of my favorite holiday movies along with The Nine Lives of Christmas, The Christmas Card, The Most Wonderful Time of Year, and The Christmas Contract (not Hallmark). 

Oh, I really like The Christmas Contract too!! One of my favorites.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Clawdette said:

The Christmas Contract was my introduction to Robert Buckley.  I love that movie, too!

2 hours ago, anniebird said:

Cute boy in glasses! It will be on  Lifetime Sunday morning at 10 - set your DVR!

Wait, wait, Robert Buckley? Thank you both for the movie name and for the info about it showing on Sunday. DVR is set!

11 hours ago, Cetacean said:

Sure but still under the Hallmark label. Which makes comparisons inevitable.

And part of those comparisons can include the circumstances, budgets, cast of something created for one of the major networks over a decade ago compared to movies made today. 

That said, even with a lower budget, I'd take Christmas of Ghosts Always over some of those more weepy HHoF entries, personally.

5 hours ago, Clawdette said:

The Christmas Contract was my introduction to Robert Buckley.  I love that movie, too!

Definitely a Lifetime movie.  I think one of the first Hillary Burton did because of the lack of diversity on Hallmark.  It makes me wonder if she'd consider coming back now that there has been a regime change.  And how come I didn't recognize him in the Christmas House movies? 

2 hours ago, kirinan said:

Wait, wait, Robert Buckley? Thank you both for the movie name and for the info about it showing on Sunday. DVR is set!

13 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

And part of those comparisons can include the circumstances, budgets, cast of something created for one of the major networks over a decade ago compared to movies made today. 

That said, even with a lower budget, I'd take Christmas of Ghosts Always over some of those more weepy HHoF entries, personally.

Definitely a Lifetime movie.  I think one of the first Hillary Burton did because of the lack of diversity on Hallmark.  It makes me wonder if she'd consider coming back now that there has been a regime change.  And how come I didn't recognize him in the Christmas House movies? 

If I’m recalling the Christmas Contract correctly, is that where Hilary’s character and her friend’s brother (Robert Buckley) pretend to be boy & girlfriend?  And Robert Buckley’s character was an actor?  

Robert Buckley’s character was a writer. You may be thinking of Matt Cohen’s character in Holiday Date. He was an actor pretending to be Brittany Bristow’s boyfriend.

This was a Hallmark movie. 

Edited by Clawdette

I am thinking Hallmark may have aired Ghosts of Christmas Always too early. I’m not sure they are going to have anything else that can come close. 

On 10/29/2022 at 10:36 PM, Irlandesa said:

But nope, [Major Spoiler Alert] --

It was a movie that ends with an insane soap opera twist. She dumps sweet Steve Lund just in time for her MIA for three years "presumed dead" husband to show up at a father/daughter dance.  Even though the general had just told her that all their intelligence said that he was dead and wasn't a part of the escaped prisoners.  How did he get home?  How did he know where to find her? How come he looks no worse for wear after being in prison for three years?  How did he get to the embassy?  How come the insurgents who had him never tried to leverage an American serviceman for money or a political exchange?

How come no one freaked the fuck out upon seeing him?  They all ignored him except for his wife and daughter who were like "yay" but no tears or fainting or screams? 

And does this mean his relationship with Steve Lund's character is going to be over since he dated his wife?

I kept waiting for this to be exposed as a dream but no....

Thank you for posting this so I don’t have to watch it. Military ones are always iffy for me since they tend to be overly saccharine. 

On 10/31/2022 at 10:50 AM, kirinan said:

Yay! I was wondering when they would finally change their streaming strategy. 

2 hours ago, norcalgal said:

If I’m recalling the Christmas Contract correctly, is that where Hilary’s character and her friend’s brother (Robert Buckley) pretend to be boy & girlfriend?  And Robert Buckley’s character was an actor?  

The first part of correct but he was a writer.
Buckley’s character in Christmas House is an actor so you may be thinking of that. 

On 11/1/2022 at 1:12 PM, Elizabeth Anne said:

I am probably in the minority here, but I enjoyed Nine Kittens. I first watched it last Christmas with my 20 year old cat (who has since gone to the Rainbow bridge). In July I watched both movies back to back with my new kitten who at the time was about the age of the ones in the movie (she looks like Blitzen) and as my kitten kept jumping and running and playing with toys, I thought - how did they keep the kittens still?

If you like kittens you will love this movie. And I am not upset what was done to the ending of the first movie so they could do a sequel  - the ending of this one is equally cute.

@Elizabeth Anne as I recall you are in Canada and W Network showed Nine Kittens last weekend. Not sure if they will show it again.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Definitely a Lifetime movie.  I think one of the first Hillary Burton did because of the lack of diversity on Hallmark.  It makes me wonder if she'd consider coming back now that there has been a regime change. 

She hasn't done a Christmas movie in years, but I bet she would. She seems to be close with most of her former OTH cast members, who all seem to be Christmas movie staples. She's a solid TV rom com heroine, so I hope she eventually comes back to it.

• Love 1

Hilarie Burton is in one of my favorite Hallmark Christmas movies Naughty or Nice, and in Summer Villa which was very good, so I would love to see her back. I miss high quality movies from Hallmark.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1