Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Movies: Small Town Royalty Magically Celebrating Rekindled Love! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Now, the tennis stuff was pretty ridiculous and just not how high level tennis work.  Or at least not the tournaments they said the guy had been in.  So that took a lot of overlooking but at least it's a new environment so it's not the same implausible scenario as we typically get (i.e. coming up with a Christmas toy on Dec. 1 for a launch on Dec. 4th.)

Or deciding on Dec. 21 to have a giant event on Christmas Eve and having the whole town show up in formal clothing.

On 8/26/2022 at 4:04 PM, kariyaki said:

Richard Harmon.

He looks like a serial killer.

• LOL 5
53 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

Or deciding on Dec. 21 to have a giant event on Christmas Eve and having the whole town show up in formal clothing.

Or having the town giant Christmas tree lighting on Christmas Eve when you know that they have been in every store since Halloween.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, bankerchick said:

Aw. As a fellow big-nosed person, I feel for him. Some others mentioned his eyes looking crazy, but I actually only think they stand out because of how they look with his large nose. I think the eyes would look normal with a smaller nose. I still liked him in the movie.

34 minutes ago, EyewatchTV211 said:

Aw. As a fellow big-nosed person, I feel for him.

It's not his nose.  Honestly.  I have never seen him before but in every picture on imdb, he's just sullen and creepy looking and not a single picture features a smile.  I'm sure he's a wonderful guy in real life and a real hoot at parties, but I'm not likely to ever meet him and while I wouldn't refuse to watch a show with him in it, there's also nothing about him that would attract me to a story.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, EyewatchTV211 said:

I still liked him in the movie.

Me too.  I admit I wasn't hopeful even by the commercials (and partly for shallow reasons) but he almost immediately won me over when they showed the montage of his on court tantrums.  Just hilarious.

I think that because Richard's eyes are slightly more-widely spaced than the average person's eyes, it lends to him being cast in slightly off-kilter roles.  And, maybe we expect that from a person who isn't conventionally looking.  He's very pleasing when he smiles.

• Like 1
On 8/25/2022 at 8:33 PM, KLovestoShop said:

I watch so many Hallmark movies that I start looking for specific things.  Lacey loves red and wears lots of strapless or off the shoulder dresses.  And what’s with these actresses and huge handbags?  No matter where she goes or who she’s with, there’s the gigantic bag.  Candice, in the Christmas Under Wraps movie, lugs the huge bag everywhere.  And it’s not a medical bag, but what looks like a fake Birkin.  No matter if she’s going on a date or walking around the town, there’s the insipid bag.

Has anyone read anything about the Mahogany movie and if Hallmark will start a new platform with Mahogany shows?  I know Hallmark now has an entire line of Mahogany products in their stores, so maybe a new platform is next?  

Yes I read an article recently that said this Unspeakably Good Things would be the first of a few Mahagony movies. 

I am planning a trip to Tuscany next year so I was looking forward to Unspeakably Good Things.  So far I like the character of the chef who is taking a delightful cooking class in Tuscany.  Of course, the usual Hallmark themes are making their ugly appearances, in that the women are having to turn down fabulous career opportunities to pursue nirvana and sexy European men in Tuscany.

• LOL 1
11 hours ago, susannot said:

Of course, the usual Hallmark themes are making their ugly appearances, in that the women are having to turn down fabulous career opportunities to pursue nirvana and sexy European men in Tuscany.

Well, I'm retired so I'm open.

• LOL 2
On 8/28/2022 at 9:43 PM, Clawdette said:

I think that because Richard's eyes are slightly more-widely spaced than the average person's eyes, it lends to him being cast in slightly off-kilter roles.  And, maybe we expect that from a person who isn't conventionally looking.  He's very pleasing when he smiles

I found his unconventional features very appealing.  I think his eyes have an Edward Cullen-esque broodiness to them

The movie was good.  I did enjoy their snarky banter back and forth. I didn't like that she called and invited his parents to the match.  She may have had the best intentions, but his relationship with them could've been more toxic than he led onto her and, therefore, it would not have been a good thing.

I thought it ended too abruptly.  I wanted to see a final, closing scene between the two of them after they won the match.

• Love 2

Random thoughts about 14 Love Letters:

the love interest has a deep, gravelly voice that I didn’t care for (but a really rocking bod!)

the best friend’s husband was never seen again after the “house warming party” setup

the movie seemed like it was half music montage (I can’t recall this in any other movie)

I still don’t understand what kind of horse riding champion Jackson was….?  Not a jockey (waaaay too tall).  Dressage???  Help.

Kallie went from being resentful of Jackson to falling in love with him pretty quickly 

wait….so the mom called off her wedding to some other guy 14 DAYS before the wedding!?  Then she really shouldn’t have gotten engaged to the other dude in the first place if her affections could be changed so easily/fast 

Edited by norcalgal
2 hours ago, norcalgal said:

I still don’t understand what kind of horse riding champion Jackson was….?  Not a jockey (waaaay too tall).  Dressage???  Help.

I assumed some sort of rodeo riding? Maybe barrel riding or something like that.

Who has the Hallmark Movie Checklist App? I do and have always thought that it was a brilliant marketing idea because I'm compulsive and felt the need to watch every single movie so that I could mark it "watched" on the app. If I didn't watch a movie I actually felt like I was falling behind and I felt anxious. Well lately I haven't felt that way. I am still recording movies compulsively but am no longer franticly watching them. I have no idea how many unwatched ones are sitting on my DVR. I'm sure I'll get around to watching most of them -- probably before the holiday ones start.  But I no longer feel the pressure. I'm not sure what brought about this change in me, but it's very freeing.

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, ShelleySue said:

I'm not sure what brought about this change in me, but it's very freeing.

When I first started watching Hallmarks, I found different things attracted me to different movies.  While all the stories were lame-ish, they weren't all bad.  I quickly learned that certain actresses can ruin a movie just by being in it, and some misunderstandings at the 1.5 hour mark made me regret the time I had already spent, but I liked most of them anyway.  When I retired in 2020 as covid was full-blown, I had more time to watch the movies, and as Countdown to Christmas came, I watched a lot more and more importantly, I discovered this forum, which quickly became more fun than watching the movies.  I could come here and join others in rants about stupid misunderstandings, terrible actresses, hot actors, unrealistic houses or too many coats.  Then I found most of the 'Loveuary,' 'Spring Fling,' 'Summer of Love,' 'Fall Into Love,' 'Harvest Fest' movies were duds, which led to a disappointing Countdown to Christmas 2021.  I still check W Network every morning, OLN every evening, and CityTV every Friday night to see if the reruns are worth watching, but most of them aren't.  For the Saturday premieres, either my American friends have already seen the movie and didn't comment or didn't like it, or we all get it at the same time and still, we don't comment or don't like.  (The exception being the whale movie a couple of weeks ago that seemed to generate a lot of comments.)  Maybe I'm just over it, but at this point, I enjoy this site more than I do most of the movies.

And I can't be the only one waiting for @Bronx Babe to come back and tell us who the 'piggy nose' actor is.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, bankerchick said:

Maybe I'm just over it, but at this point, I enjoy this site more than I do most of the movies.

I have pretty much given up hope at this point.  Everything is so formulaic that even good acting can't keep my attention for very long.  The first time they land on some tired trope I immediately lose interest.  Which, since this is Hallmark, is normally within the first ten minutes. 

So, this site tells me all I need to know.

Oh, how I long for those Hall of Fame movies.....

• Like 2

Marry Go Round looks like a rip-off of Sweet Home Alabama 

MGR: Abby is a successful executive moving to Paris and planning to marry Edward. Life is perfect until she learns her divorce to high school sweetheart Luke is not exactly official.

SHA: A young woman who has reinvented herself as a New York City socialite must return home to Alabama to obtain a divorce from her husband after seven years of separation.

And the upcoming Mahogany movie, To Her With Love is a female version of To Sir With Love  I'm sure it'll be met with all the female empowerment accolades, but it will never compare the original - and Sidney Poitier!

Hallmark - I know you've been complacent with following formula for so long, but try a little harder to come up with original material rather than regurgitating/remaking older movies.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Damn you Hallmark, for casting Amanda Schull in one of your movies,

She is in my favourite Hallmark, Project Christmas Wish.  It's because of Travis Van Winkle that I love the movie, but she's good in it as well.

4 hours ago, ctlady said:

MGR: Abby is a successful executive moving to Paris and planning to marry Edward. Life is perfect until she learns her divorce to high school sweetheart Luke is not exactly official.

SHA: A young woman who has reinvented herself as a New York City socialite must return home to Alabama to obtain a divorce from her husband after seven years of separation.

Doesn't Hallmark already have one of these movies?  Jill Wagner's (?) ex wants to get remarried in NYC, where he has reinvented himself, but they are still married.  So she leaves behind her current beau and goes to the big city, where she charms everyone, especially her ex's chauffeur, and blah, blah, blah, she and the ex get back together.

5 hours ago, ctlady said:

59 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

Doesn't Hallmark already have one of these movies?  Jill Wagner's (?) ex wants to get remarried in NYC, where he has reinvented himself, but they are still married.  So she leaves behind her current beau and goes to the big city, where she charms everyone, especially her ex's chauffeur, and blah, blah, blah, she and the ex get back together.

Omigosh!!!  That's right. I remember watching that movie and thinking the male lead in the Jill Wagner movie looks like Tom Cruise.

On 8/31/2022 at 1:56 PM, bankerchick said:

I discovered this forum, which quickly became more fun than watching the movies.  I could come here and join others in rants about stupid misunderstandings, terrible actresses, hot actors, unrealistic houses or too many coats.

I volunteer to keep track of how many winter coats one woman can pack in a small to medium sized suitcase when she leaves her high pressure job in the big city to go home to the small town to help her widowed father run the Christmas cookie exchange that her dead mother had started with the help of her best friend who has a handsome son who the woman from the big city used to date in high school who returned to the small town after college/vet school to run a veterinary clinic/animal shelter.

• LOL 10
On 8/28/2022 at 9:30 AM, bankerchick said:

RE: Richard Harmon........

I Googled images of Richard Harmon and many of them make him look sexy. In fact, one picture in particular, he looks a lot like.................wait for it.....................

Elvis Presley! Maybe it is the eye make up that does it.

22 hours ago, EyewatchTV211 said:

It amuses me that there are so many theories. My guess is Ryan Paevey.

No doubt about it. I would bet money. It is Ryan Pevey.

4 hours ago, norcalgal said:

Omigosh!!!  That's right. I remember watching that movie and thinking the male lead in the Jill Wagner movie looks like Tom Cruise.

Agree.

5 hours ago, bankerchick said:

She is in my favourite Hallmark, Project Christmas Wish.  It's because of Travis Van Winkle that I love the movie, but she's good in it as well.

Oh damn! You gave the ending away! LOL.

Edited by luvthepros
  • LOL 2
On 8/21/2022 at 11:08 PM, Woopwoopkitty said:

i guess I’m the only one that liked Dating the Delaneys, plot holes and all.  Good chemistry, just a minor mis-understanding, and the ex was disappointing but not evil or a jerk.  The peripheral romances were enjoyable too

I liked it, too. I wasn’t expecting to based on comments here butI found it enjoyable even though the guys she dated were really over the top.

Edited by DanaMB
  • Like 4

Colin Egglesfield captured my interest in Something Borrowed with Gennifer Goodwin and Kate Hudson.  Last year he was in a Lifetime movie with Arielle Kebbel.  I keep hoping he'll show up in another Hallmark venture.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Clawdette said:

Colin Egglesfield captured my interest in Something Borrowed with Gennifer Goodwin and Kate Hudson.  Last year he was in a Lifetime movie with Arielle Kebbel.  I keep hoping he'll show up in another Hallmark venture.

Oh gosh, the movie you're referring to with Ariele Kebbel was something like A Christmas Witness.  His character in that was an incredibly unlikely "hero", and the absolute opposite of what he played in Autumn Dreams -- almost no redeeming qualities at all except he was good at hanging Christmas lights.  When the leads had the major smooch at the end, you nonetheless knew that the relationship had no chance.  

(I just confirmed that Christmas Witness was an Ion movie.  I'm not sure they even have a section in Primetimer's Movie section.)

Those are the only two I've seen him in, and I'll keep an eye out for him again.

Edited by Chippings
detail
  • Love 1
On 8/24/2022 at 8:32 PM, MerBearHou said:

You are thinking of Brennan Elliott.  I like him too.  He is bright and has a fun sense of humor and you’re so right, he’s not the male model type but handsome and relatable.  

I really like him as the types of characters you’ve described. However, he can also play a convincing villain, and that’s the kind of role he had when I first saw him. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Daff said:

I really like him as the types of characters you’ve described. However, he can also play a convincing villain, and that’s the kind of role he had when I first saw him. 

I had never seen Brennan as a villain until literally last night!  Saw a rerun of Rizzolli and Isles and he was quite good as the charming, seemingly working for the greater good, but was actually a creepy, very bad guy.  It was weird to see him like that, but I bet he loves getting to do both sides of bad guy and Hallmark loveboat roles. 

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 2
23 hours ago, ShelleySue said:

I volunteer to keep track of how many winter coats one woman can pack in a small to medium sized suitcase when she leaves her high pressure job in the big city to go home to the small town to help her widowed father run the Christmas cookie exchange that her dead mother had started with the help of her best friend who has a handsome son who the woman from the big city used to date in high school who returned to the small town after college/vet school to run a veterinary clinic/animal shelter.

You literally just described every Hallmark movie plot!

Speaking of winter coats, in the movie The Holiday, Cameron Diaz goes to England with one roller suitcase, yet it container 2 coats separate from the one she wears to travel there and a swanky cocktail dress

1 hour ago, ctlady said:

Speaking of winter coats, in the movie The Holiday, Cameron Diaz goes to England with one roller suitcase, yet it container 2 coats separate from the one she wears to travel there and a swanky cocktail dress

Though judging by her walking down the snowy lane in high heels, I'm going to assume she forgot to bring boots.  (The scene where she opens the door, and Jude Law is standing there and turns around......😍)  Now there's a guy who could be in every Hallmark and I would watch every one.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

I had never seen Brennan as a villain until literally last night!  Saw a rerun of Rizzolli and Isles and he was quite good as the charming, seemingly working for the greater good, but was actually a creepy, very bad guy.  It was weird to see him like that, but I bet he loves getting to do both sides of bad guy and Hallmark loveboat roles. 

Yep, I’m sure that left an impression (as I was a fan and never missed an episode). He was a manipulative bad guy in that Hallmark soap, (something) Cove, that fizzled out. Same thing there, you could really despise the character. Took me a couple “Flowershop” movies to trust that character. I mostly love when they give him glib, sarcastically funny lines as he delivers them just so. 

• Love 3

I’m watching Marry Me in Yosemite and I keep checking to make sure it’s not a repeat because I swear I’ve seen it before. Of course all these city girl/male guide movies are the same. This twit didn’t expect to see a bear…in the woods… I may be deleting it. Can’t stand stupidity from characters, usually female, to make them seem cute. 

Edited by DanaMB
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, DanaMB said:

I’m watching Marry Me in Yosemite and I keep checking to make sure it’s not a repeat because I swear I’ve seen it before.

It probably seems familiar because for some season they like to cast Cindy Busby in these nature hike movies.  She was looking for waterfalls to photograph (with reluctant male guide) in one movie, and looking for eagles (with reluctant male guide) in another, and this one was Yosemite (with reluctant male guide).   They are practically identical.

ETA:  Whoops, my mistake. Cindy Busby wasn't in the eagle movie. The premise was still the same, though

Edited by Suzysite
  • Love 4

I am rewatching Dating the Delaneys and am reminded of a very unfortunate fact of these movies:  a really unlikeable lead actress is in way more of the movie than a really likeable lead actor, and can sometimes make me wonder whether it's worth rewatching the movie.

Also, her 'famous' salted caramel chocolate chip cookies don't look good at all.  They look like something that might be healthy.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Suzysite said:

They are practically identical.

I think Hallmark has a bin with 10 movie themes.  They reach blindfolded into the bin, pull one out, and then flip a coin as to location, cutesy business, how bitchy or clueless the female lead gets to be, and what misunderstanding will cause the brief conflict.  Throw in whatever "world famous" food they will talk about and bingo, another Hallmark bland, boring offering.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

I was glad they mentioned Ansel Adams pretty much immediately in Marry Me in Yosemite. That might be the only real positive. Not even the videography did justice to Yosemite. 

Taking pictures in Yosemite on a deadline isn’t the way to get the best quality - weather and season matter. The “great” photos shown through the movie were amateur at best. I think I took better pictures in 8th grade on a disposable camera. 

It seemed like there was a fair amount of off trail journeying. A conservationist isn’t going to support that! I once had a park ranger tell me we love our national parks to death - and going off trail is a perfect example of that. 

And like stated above, there is nothing cute about hiking unprepared. So many people die because of that. Or they need massive coordinated search and rescue teams to come in. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4

I just watched The Sweetest Heart which I’ve seen several times and really like.  For some reason, this time I decided to Google and see if Chris McNally is married.  Imagine my surprise when I read that he and his co-star Julie Gonzalo have been together ever since this movie and they just had a baby in June this year.  Knowing this, it made it extra-cool to watch their expressions and what they said to each other, just watching them fall in love in real life.  Gorgeous duo — they are two I always seem to enjoy.  Both have a low-key energy that I like.  

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Like 2
  • Love 3

Watching All of My Heart.  I am no Lacey Chabert fan but this movie is not awful.  For a change, it's the guy who overhears half a comment, jumps to conclusions, and goes back to his big-city life without bothering to talk to the other party.  And the guy who plays the hardware store owner (Daniel Cudmore) needs to get his own movie.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, bankerchick said:

And the guy who plays the hardware store owner (Daniel Cudmore) needs to get his own movie.

Agreed — love that character — his wry humor is great and wow, he is tall!  Reminds me of Dave Collette who adds so much to every movie he’s in as an important side character.  I often have to rewind to re-listen to what Dave says — he is so quick, so funny, so talented.

Edited by MerBearHou

Watched the movie about the painting last night (I can never member Hallmark titles, they are all pretty bland and interchangeable). It really was pretty good.  Not riveting enough to keep me up to see the end (I DVR'd it) but pleasant enough and a different story, for sure. 

Acting was fine and there were two (not one, but two) deaf characters although they had scant moments of screen time.  There was a nice little educational moment where the Irish lady pointed out that signing is different by country which I didn't know.

The scenes in Ireland were absolutely stunning even in the (frequent) rain.

• Like 1
On 9/5/2022 at 10:52 PM, Clawdette said:

Luke MacFarlane says that this year's Christmas movie will likely be his last with Hallmark.

Good.

I am watching December Bride, a movie I actually like, but I recall someone on this site once saying that the words 'December Bride' were uttered way too many times.  In watching it now, I can't help but notice that 5 minutes barely goes by without someone saying it.  In fact, in the two minutes it just took me to type this, it has once again been mentioned.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1