Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Movies: Small Town Royalty Magically Celebrating Rekindled Love! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Last night I rewatched The Journey Ahead starring Holly Robinson-Peete.  The movie itself was fine, but what I really liked is that a/ it featured (as they referred to her in the movie) a 'woman of a certain age' and b/ it wasn't a Hallmark traditional romance movie.  It was more of a road movie with Peete and a younger woman travelling cross-country but having said that, she did actually meet a man (Mark Humphrey.)  Who, incidentally, is 60 in real life and was totally hot.

• Love 4
On 10/17/2022 at 3:34 PM, Bronx Babe said:

If anyone else sat through Autumn in the City, can you explain why Piper confused a dinner hostess job ad with a theatrical one calling for actresses to audition for a play with the title of "Hostess"?   I mean, how dumb can a person be?  Then when she's called on stage starts warbling Give My Regards to Broadway?  Hallmark thinks this is funny??? 

And that’s when I finally gave up and turned it off. 

• Applause 3

The nice friendly gay couple from Autumn in the City seemed to spend more time with Piper and Austin than  running their cafe.  You'd think they were living in some slow-paced Canadian town instead of bustling, business-driven Manhattan.  Oh, wait....  

• LOL 2

SPOILERS FOR AUTUMN IN THE CITY

So apparently Piper never resolved her problems with the unsupportive parents as we didn't see any final wrap-up with Mom and Dad in their car on the cell phone.

Where did she quickly find a second sublet? Seemed like it was in her old building since the rooftop and scenery looked the same.

I seem to be obsessed with Autumn in the City, lol.

Piper has a last moment ephiphany about her self-worth so leaves her luggage with the gay couple who as usual are just standing around in front of their cafe instead of working.  She hops in a cab headed for Brooklyn Heights -- which is not a short drive -- then after meeting there with Austin's mother, heads for his publisher to "pitch" her illustrations.  Meanwhile, after all this time the gay couple are still standing in front of their cafe with Piper's luggage (instead of taking it inside and also doing some work) when Austin shows up.  Of course I could be confused about this timeline -- he could have shown up immediately after Piper left but I doubt this as Hallmark is rarely if ever logical. 

• LOL 1

I haven't lived in my hometown of NYC for decades so I checked the drive time from Manhattan to Brooklyn Heights and it's about 35 minutes -- not that long and Piper talked to Austin's mother literally about three minutes before scooting out of there and running to his publisher....still it seemed like the nice gay couple were waiting outside with her luggage no matter how short or long it took, lol.

I am analyzing a Hallmark movie for sense and reality, boy am I setting myself up for failure.

• LOL 6
3 hours ago, Bronx Babe said:

I am analyzing a Hallmark movie for sense and reality, boy am I setting myself up for failure.

Suspension of disbelief is the only way to get through some of these uninspiring offerings.  Apparently they are too cheap to have someone assigned to manage continuity - or common sense.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Bronx Babe said:

The nice friendly gay couple from Autumn in the City seemed to spend more time with Piper and Austin than  running their cafe.  You'd think they were living in some slow-paced Canadian town instead of bustling, business-driven Manhattan.  Oh, wait.... 

Hey!  Maybe they were channeling their hometowns of Fabulous, Arizona or Camp, Vermont.  As a Canadian non coffee-drinker, I have seen people waiting in line for coffee.  Slow-paced doesn't describe the workers, or those waiting!

You're right, though, they never seemed to be working.  Didn't they go somewhere with her in the middle of the business day as well? (I can't remember any details, but I do remember wondering why they weren't at work.)

I know we laugh about it, but I am still surprised that Countdown to Christmas starts this weekend.  I have already scrolled through the schedule for the next 2 weeks and have several movies set to record, some of which will have 3 copies, since I would have recorded it last Christmas and again in Christmas in July.  Maybe some day I will clean out my recordings, but probably not today.

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

Countdown to Christmas starts this weekend. 

I just can't with this.  Bad enough in the stores but watching endless loops of Christmas movies for months on end takes all of the joy of the season out of me. 

And I saw an ad for one coming up this weekend and the female has that same, tired, rolled-on-a-giant-curling-iron style.  Get a new hairdresser for the love of all that is holy!

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
35 minutes ago, twoods said:

It’s 95 here in California so definitely not ready for this nonsense. After Thanksgiving like they’ve done in the past made more sense.

It has been about 12 years since they waited until after Thanksgiving. I don't mind them starting in Nov.  I just wish they wouldn't start it in October.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Cetacean said:

And I saw an ad for one coming up this weekend and the female has that same, tired, rolled-on-a-giant-curling-iron style.  Get a new hairdresser for the love of all that is holy!

I don't get it.  My hair is much shorter yet it gets in my face whatever I try to do, but these women bake, cook, farm, write, train dogs, hike, do yoga, decorate and perform all manner of activities while their hair cascades below their shoulders.

3 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I was ready for the Countdown To Christmas last week because it was cold and blustery last weekend.  This weekend?  It's going to be a warm up and I think it'll feel out of place.

Same here.  Yesterday and today felt like Christmas could be any day, but this weekend will be warm enough to rake leaves in a bathing suit.  Not that I will.  I don't hate my neighbours that much.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

It has been about 12 years since they waited until after Thanksgiving. I don't mind them starting in Nov.  I just wish they wouldn't start it in October.

I wish they would wait until after Thanksgiving, but we know Hallmark won't do that (rather than adding the Hallmark Drama channel, they should have added Halllmark Christmas channel).  But can they at least wait until after Halloween??  I might DVR some of the movies, but for me personally, I won't watch them until after Thanksgiving.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Lisa418722 said:

I might DVR some of the movies, but for me personally, I won't watch them until after Thanksgiving.

Aside from the baby movie, I'm not DVRing anything until I see comments from the erudite posters here.  I refuse to watch until after Thanksgiving and by that time all of these offerings will have already aired umpteen times so I would imagine there will be at least some comments, good or bad.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Hallmark finished as the #1 cable network among women last year and finished up in revenue. 

I so find it telling that so many of their commercials target women and a lot of those are definitely for the older ones.  Tons of appeals for animals in peril, kids with health issues, medicare crap, and antidotes for stinky bodies. 

Starting Friday it will be All Balsam Hill, All of the Time.

I somehow can't see millenials watching this crap but I could be wrong.  I know my goddaughter thinks it's all very boring and bland but she's an actor so tends to be more picky about things anyway.

Just now, Cetacean said:

I do find it telling that so many of their commercials target women and a lot of those are definitely for the older ones.  Tons of appeals for animals in peril, kids with health issues, medicare crap, and antidotes for stinky bodies. 

Starting Friday it will be All Balsam Hill, All of the Time.

I somehow can't see millenials watching this crap but I could be wrong.  I know my goddaughter thinks it's all very boring and bland but she's an actor so tends to be more picky about things anyway.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Hallmark wouldn't start airing them this early if people didn't watch. They must get high enough ratings that they can sell more ads in October Christmas movies than October fall movies. Plus, it helps them fit in more new movies.

Probably the same reason they've started airing them for most of July. 

I am excited, I will admit it.

• Like 3

Still going through some older movies uploaded On Demand before they get pulled and replaced by a bunch of Christmas movies.  Just watched At Home In Mitford with Andie Macdowell and Cameron Mathison.  Was a nice story and enjoyed it very much.  Read afterwards it was loosely based on a book series which veered off track in some areas.

The one issue that threw me off were the age differences between Cynthia and Father Tim.  IRL, Andie is 11 years older than Cameron.  Granted, Andie is a gorgeous woman with a figure most 20 year olds would envy, but the 'crinkles' on the outside corners of her eyes aged her every time she smiled. I might even try to see if I can get Cedar Cove to view for free somewhere (maybe some YT uploads)

12 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Hallmark wouldn't start airing them this early if people didn't watch. They must get high enough ratings that they can sell more ads in October Christmas movies than October fall movies. Plus, it helps them fit in more new movies.

Exactly. They have so many that they basically have no choice but to push the start date back further and further.

It's started as of 6AM today, BTW.

• Mind Blown 1

I guess some of us check out Hallmark movies on Saturday night anyway (at least we old ladies with no lives) and I find the Spring Fling, Summer Love, Fall Into Love movies are usually pretty lame, so their thinking is probably that they might as well run Christmas movies, as it keeps people like me watching, and might bring in those who only watch Hallmark for Christmas movies.  I admit I find the decor a little jarring in the off-season, but very few of these movies are actually about Christmas so it's not like the story is out of place in October or November.  Really, I don't care about the season.  I just want to watch hot guys fall in love and live happily ever after.

The network I watch the movies on shows the same commercials at every break.  Most of them are ads for this weekend's Hallmark debut, shows coming on at a different time (mostly the Good Fight and some vampire/witch thing for emo teens) and Amy Schumer flogging period pads in different sizes.  If you want to see someone dive for the mute button, watch me when Amy Schumer comes on my tv.  Even Autumn Reesor/Nikki DeLoach/Natalie Hall (my new Hallmark poison)/Erin Cahill/Rachel Boston/Jen Lilley don't annoy me as much as she does.

• LOL 3

There is one thing that annoys me more than Amy Schumer, Jen Lilly, Rachel Boston, Erin Krakow, Cindy Busby,  the departed Candace CB and Danica Mckellar: all the actresses with the same hairstyle. The beachy waves…sometimes over the shoulder, sometimes bobbed. I hate it.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, bankerchick said:

If you want to see someone dive for the mute button, watch me when Amy Schumer comes on my tv.

I don't need the mute button for her - rather change the channel.  At the risk of sounding mean, I just can't stand the sight of that pig's face

1 hour ago, bankerchick said:

Even Autumn Reesor/Nikki DeLoach/Natalie Hall (my new Hallmark poison)/Erin Cahill/Rachel Boston/Jen Lilley don't annoy me as much as she does.

Rachel and Jen annoy me the most.  They just come across too goofy and comedic to be taken seriously for romance. Just like that other actress (cannot think of her name) in the one where she and another guy got left at the altar, but they both went on their respective honeymoons to Hawaii)  Punchy, over-dramatic facial expressions and jittery dialogue bug me.  Like Bree's character on Chesapeake Shores

Don't know if I've seen anything with Nikki, Natalie and Erin.  Autumn holds steady as long as she doesn't put out the haughty, condescending vibe

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Dr.OO7 said:

It's started as of 6AM today, BTW.

Yes, couldn't they at least wait until this--ooh, Crown For Christmas Is On.  Be right back to finish the thought. 

I thought they'd wait until this evening but there are some decent oldies on today. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
37 minutes ago, ctlady said:

Just like that other actress (cannot think of her name) in the one where she and another guy got left at the altar, but they both went on their respective honeymoons to Hawaii)  Punchy, over-dramatic facial expressions and jittery dialogue bug me. 

Oh, that has to be Ashley Williams.  I cannot watch anything with her as the lead.  She is too, too much for me.  I can take her in very small, more subdued roles, if that's even a thing for her.

• Love 3

I'm rewatching An Unexpected Christmas which I remember liking for Joy and Tyler's chemistry but boy had I forgotten he lied to his family about them still being together for months and then lying to her that he could get the governor of IL. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

I'm rewatching An Unexpected Christmas which I remember liking for Joy and Tyler's chemistry but boy had I forgotten he lied to his family about them still being together for months and then lying to her that he could get the governor of IL. 

There are a lot of really questionable parts to the story but I admit to loving this so much that it's the single Hallmark movie I have on my DVR.  There is something in the Lenz/Hynes interactions that are just spot on.  Love her meltdown when her plans fell apart.  Love the goofy scene at the restaurant.  Love the chemistry as they fell back in love.  Love the interactions between brother and sister.  

I listened to the Bramble Jam interview with Hynes and several of the scenes were ad libbed - the whole "stone in the boot" bit was all Lenz.  He clearly loved pairing with her.

The Paul Campbell script has some great lines.  My favorite is when Hynes was talking about breaking up bacause he felt he was holding Lenz back and his sister comes back with "and now you aren't holding her at all".  Great line. 

I guess there is a lid for every pot and this movie is my go-to when I need a boost.  Not a single other Hallmark offering is worth rewatching for me.

• Love 4
36 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

I guess there is a lid for every pot and this movie is my go-to when I need a boost.  Not a single other Hallmark offering is worth rewatching for me.

Alas, this is not one of my go-tos for a Christmas movie. For me, what comes to mind are:

• Crown for Christmas 
  • A Very Merry Mix-Up
  • A Princess for Christmas (can’t believe that’s the same guy in Outlander!)
  • blanking on title but it has Kellie Martin and Cameron Mathison as the leads
  • (not Christmas but Xmas adjacent) Love at the Thanksgiving Day Parade (bad title)

There may be others but the above are what immediately come to mind.

Edited by norcalgal
  • Love 2

I love the one with Laura Osnes and….not sure of the actor’s first name but last name is Tviet. I think.  Aaron Tviet? Fantastic hair.🥰 He was a king, she was a nurse whose father owned a charming inn. A wonderful actress played his mother, the Queen. It was happy, fun and well-acted. I could watch this many times. Actually, the whole cast was excellent.

Edited by Kemper
  • Love 3
47 minutes ago, Kemper said:

I love the one with Laura Osnes and….not sure of the actor’s first name but last name is Tviet. I think.  Aaron Tviet? Fantastic hair.🥰 He was a king, she was a nurse whose father owned a charming in. A wonderful actress played his mother, the Queen. It was happy, fun and well-acted. I could watch this many times. Actually, the whole cast was excellent.

I love that one too — One Royal Holiday — that cast of Broadway stars just makes it for me.  Aaron Tviet is so dreamy and I thoroughly enjoy Victoria Clark as the queen.  Laura Osnes is great in the role.  The supporting cast is terrific too.  The singing isn’t shoe-horned in and you get to hear these amazing voices, though Aaron played his down as the prince.  I happily re-watch whenever it’s on.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Probably the same reason they've started airing them for most of July. 

I am excited, I will admit it.

This is the first year of "Countdown to Christmas" that I realize I am going to miss Reba and her crazy dysfunctional family in the mornings on The Hallmark Channel. I started watching Reba in January of this year so was never affected by the 24/7 Hallmark Christmas movies.

• Love 2

I watched Noel Next Door and enjoyed it. I must offer the caveat that I am always working on my computer while I watch and the movie engaged me enough that I didn't have to rewind to see what I missed.

Here's the main plus for me.  Cory Sevier was matter of fact about his handicap.  Yes, he was definitely a curmudgeon, but he wasn't maudlin and wallowing in self-pity.  There was the usual "house is too nice for a single mother struggling to pay her bills" but Christmas decor in that house was not extreme.  

Not a bad out-of-the-gate entry.

• Like 3
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, Clawdette said:

I watched Noel Next Door and enjoyed it. I must offer the caveat that I am always working on my computer while I watch and the movie engaged me enough that I didn't have to rewind to see what I missed.

Here's the main plus for me.  Cory Sevier was matter of fact about his handicap.  Yes, he was definitely a curmudgeon, but he wasn't maudlin and wallowing in self-pity.  There was the usual "house is too nice for a single mother struggling to pay her bills" but Christmas decor in that house was not extreme.  

Not a bad out-of-the-gate entry.

Agreed. I had very low hopes for the movie. The description didn't do it any favors. I ended up thinking it was decent. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Clawdette said:

Here's the main plus for me.  Cory Sevier was matter of fact about his handicap.  Yes, he was definitely a curmudgeon, but he wasn't maudlin and wallowing in self-pity.

I liked it quite a bit too.  It is early in the season and I tend to be more open about the holiday movies before I've seen 100 of them but there was a lot to like, even love, about this movie. 

I don't know if the promos had given it away but I was surprised to see Cory's character had a stroke and has some mobility issues stemming from it.  That felt new for a Christmas movie, especially the first.  I do think he was still struggling with it given he was avoiding dating but I did appreciate he wasn't completely wallowing over it. 

I also liked that I tended to agree with his character about the things that annoyed him even if he was a bit of a grouch at times.  But the movie did give him a POV for both why he didn't love Christmas and why he did yell at some of the people.  But the thing I liked the most is that his opinion on Christmas wasn't changed by mistletoe or hot chocolate, it was changed by opening himself up more.

But I also liked the structure of the movie.  This had some of the better "angst" because it wasn't really about a misunderstanding but rather waiting for the other shoe to drop to realize she was the kid's mom and he was the neighborhood Scrooge she had heard about.  They were building that up at the same time they were building up the couple. 

It also helped that Cory and Nathalie had really good chemistry, IMO.   The scene in the diner after his blind date left where she really laid on the flirtation to indicate her interest was really well done. It felt very realistic the way she indicated her interest but just short of asking him out.

1 hour ago, Clawdette said:

There was the usual "house is too nice for a single mother struggling to pay her bills" but Christmas decor in that house was not extreme.  

But even that I think could make sense because she likely got her house based on any early settlement or payments in the divorce.  It's just that her ex was being a jerk about it in this movie.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

I tried with Noel Next Door, I really did.  A Hallmark movie that brings in reality - someone with a handicap - is so rare.  But then they blew it with having him able to skate because you know, Hallmark, and skating is requisite for any Christmas movie. It was so ridiculous.

The bratty kid had 500 condos in the complex but deliberately picked the one that set the guy off.  Please.

And the crowning blow to me (no pun intended) was the woman's hair.  It was absolutely hideous and I cringed as she delivered food with that hair hanging down on the plate.  When they put her in earmuffs with two big sausage curls spurting out in front I turned it off.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Noel Next Door, another winner, lol.   Yes, the skating.  "Jeremy" explained he was able to do so because it was "using other muscles"  wtf

After the rabbit escaped, how did it manage to get into his apartment.

Hallmark seemed to want to get in some relative "reality" -- Noel talks to her ex about "Your mistress"  

And the son was worried about his mom not doing enough information on her dates, explaining that she may be going out with serial killers.

On 10/19/2022 at 8:03 PM, bankerchick said:

Hey!  Maybe they were channeling their hometowns of Fabulous, Arizona or Camp, Vermont.  As a Canadian non coffee-drinker, I have seen people waiting in line for coffee.  Slow-paced doesn't describe the workers, or those waiting!

You're right, though, they never seemed to be working.  Didn't they go somewhere with her in the middle of the business day as well? (I can't remember any details, but I do remember wondering why they weren't at work.)

I know we laugh about it, but I am still surprised that Countdown to Christmas starts this weekend.  I have already scrolled through the schedule for the next 2 weeks and have several movies set to record, some of which will have 3 copies, since I would have recorded it last Christmas and again in Christmas in July.  Maybe some day I will clean out my recordings, but probably not today.

The one time the gay couple were too busy to mingle with Piper and Austin was when all four of them were planning a picnic in "Central Park" (some equivalent place in Toronto I'm guessing) so instead sent a bicycle messenger with two baskets of food, where he miraculously found them.

I'm still waiting for my very own handsome, hunky Canadian mountie.  Do they exist in real life up your way, bankerchick?

3 hours ago, Cetacean said:

But then they blew it with having him able to skate because you know, Hallmark, and skating is requisite for any Christmas movie. It was so ridiculous.

Granted, I don't know much about stroke recovery specifically but that didn't seem too absurd to me.  For instance, Michael J. Fox who, had difficulty walking with Parkinson's, skates (or at least used to skate) quite well. 

• Love 1
On 10/19/2022 at 4:53 PM, Cetacean said:

Suspension of disbelief is the only way to get through some of these uninspiring offerings.  Apparently they are too cheap to have someone assigned to manage continuity - or common sense.

Funny, I was thinking of that very phrase, suspension of disbelief, but I can't even work up to that for a Hallmark movie.  Works better for me with crazy horror movies like The Alligator People than Hallmark, lol.  I would sooner believe a man can turn into one than an American girl be hired as governess to a prince's royal daughter and flown to their European monarchy, next step, marriage.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Bronx Babe said:

The one time the gay couple were too busy to mingle with Piper and Austin was when all four of them were planning a picnic in "Central Park" (some equivalent place in Toronto I'm guessing) so instead sent a bicycle messenger with two baskets of food, where he miraculously found them.

I'm still waiting for my very own handsome, hunky Canadian mountie.  Do they exist in real life up your way, bankerchick?

Not to nitpick, but this movie was filmed in Vancouver.  Not even remotely close geographically or aesthetically (Vancouver is incredibly scenic and beautiful and has Stanley Park which could rival Central Park in many ways, but Toronto looks like every other skyscraper city.)  We might have handsome, hunky Mounties up here (I'm sure we do) but I have never seen any.  No offense to Mounties, I'm sure many of them are handsome, but I have very little experience with them.  I live in Ontario, in a city where we have our own police force, and also a provincial force that looks after law enforcement outside the cities.  Mounties tend to work in provinces with no provincial forces, wearing regular police uniforms.  The red serge is generally reserved for ceremonial purposes like the Musical Ride (or Kevin McGarry and Daniel Lissing on When Calls The Heart.)

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Granted, I don't know much about stroke recovery specifically but that didn't seem too absurd to me.  For instance, Michael J. Fox who, had difficulty walking with Parkinson's, skates (or at least used to skate) quite well. 

I held a certification in Neurosurgical nursing before I retired. Trust me when I say that someone who needs a cane to get around will in no universe be able to ice skate.

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, Cetacean said:

And the crowning blow to me (no pun intended) was the woman's hair.  It was absolutely hideous and I cringed as she delivered food with that hair hanging down on the plate.  When they put her in earmuffs with two big sausage curls spurting out in front I turned it off.  

Yes, it was terrible; at times it took me right out of the movie. You are right - especially egregious with the earmuffs. The hairstylists for Hallmark must have only learned that one style/haircut in beauty school.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, bankerchick said:

Not to nitpick, but this movie was filmed in Vancouver.  Not even remotely close geographically or aesthetically (Vancouver is incredibly scenic and beautiful and has Stanley Park which could rival Central Park in many ways, but Toronto looks like every other skyscraper city.)  We might have handsome, hunky Mounties up here (I'm sure we do) but I have never seen any.  No offense to Mounties, I'm sure many of them are handsome, but I have very little experience with them.  I live in Ontario, in a city where we have our own police force, and also a provincial force that looks after law enforcement outside the cities.  Mounties tend to work in provinces with no provincial forces, wearing regular police uniforms.  The red serge is generally reserved for ceremonial purposes like the Musical Ride (or Kevin McGarry and Daniel Lissing on When Calls The Heart.)

Thanks, bankerchick!  I've unfortunately only been acquainted with Canada through Hollywood with Nelson Eddy who made a very stalwart and handsome Mountie.  And the scenery must be glorious.

• Like 1

I really liked We Wish You a Married Christmas. Of course, I love Kristoffer Polaha so that helps. I liked the snarky humor. I felt the story was different enough not to feel like the same old same old. 

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, DanaMB said:

I really liked We Wish You a Married Christmas. Of course, I love Kristoffer Polaha so that helps. I liked the snarky humor. I felt the story was different enough not to feel like the same old same old. 

I liked it as well.  A bit over the top with the Christmas schtick but the acting was good and the story was different enough to have it feel fresh.

• Love 2