Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
WendyCR72

Hallmark Channel Movies: Our Sap Brings in the Eyeballs!

On 6/19/2019 at 9:34 PM, Jaded said:

I remember a few years ago when Alexa popped up on Dancing With the Stars along with Carlos and how I had to look her up online to remind myself of her age. I'm not sure if it's due to her previous eating disorder issues or not but she looked older then and still does now at 30. I'm  guessing they have it in their contracts that they come as a combo deal in regards to projects they do. It's annoying to say the least. I did like the Picture Perfect Mystery Movie for the most part though.

She was pregnant in this one, which is what I ascribed the eye area wrinkles to. 

The thing I don't love about hallmarks is 90% of the leads use botox, which I get from a career standpoint in an era of 60" 4k TVs, but it limits their facial expression range. That wasn't her issue, it was that her and her real life husbands attraction/spark chemistry was not present at all until 3/4 of the way into the film.

• Like 2

Just a note - this evening Hallmark ran 'Snow Bride' again and I was reminded how much I liked it.  (In case the title doesn't ring a bell, the tabloid reporter smuggles herself into the snowbound retreat of political family, hits it off with older son.  Et cetera.)  Unusual story, none of the usual tropes (return to hometown, run into each other and spill coffee &c); new, attractive people whom we haven't seen fall in love with ten other people in other Hallmark movies, good and interesting small side-stories.  Haven't seen it in many months.  

Such a pleasure!  

Edited by Chippings
  • Like 10

Finally got around to watching ""Picture Perfect", & I wasn't that impressed. I figured out who done it & why pretty much immediately, so no surprise denouncements for me. Other than that, I didn't see a lot of chemistry between the 2 leads, even though they're married IRL. I really miss Garage sale Mysteries.

• Like 1

Some cool news that popped up in my email.

Another Hallmark Christmas movie has been cast and I'm pretty excited to see this one. It sounds cute and I'm loving the new-to-me couple.

The story:

well-loved music duo Averie and Jesse, famous for their duet "Wouldn’t be Christmas," haven't played together since they went their separate ways years ago. Averie gave up music and opened a beautiful lodge in a snowy Vermont town - while Jesse still tours, struggling to find the same kind of success they had as a duo. When fate brings them together over the holidays at Averie's lodge just in time for the annual Yuletide Festival, can the magic of Christmas help reunite them once again?

https://www.hallmarkchannel.com/christmas/the-latest-news?et_cid=126469&et_rid=12708936&linkid=https%3a%2f%2fwww.hallmarkchannel.com%2fchristmas%2fthe-latest-news

14 minutes ago, MissyPoo said:

When fate brings them together over the holidays at Averie's lodge just in time for the annual Yuletide Festival, can the magic of Christmas help reunite them once again?

Gee, whatever could the ending be?  Hmmm, let me think.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 2

Hallmark Drama has finally taken Seventh Heaven off the air and replaced it with The Waltons.   I was surprised they were still showing it something like 10 hours a day.  They made such a big deal out of not showing anything with Lori Loughlin, but constantly airing a show with Stephen "accused child molester" Collins was totally on brand? 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, dalek said:

Hallmark Drama has finally taken Seventh Heaven off the air and replaced it with The Waltons.   I was surprised they were still showing it something like 10 hours a day.  They made such a big deal out of not showing anything with Lori Loughlin, but constantly airing a show with Stephen "accused child molester" Collins was totally on brand? 

I don’t think they really care about actors being on brand. They care about the Hallmark name being linked to controversy. When the Stephen Collins thing came out it didn’t get a lot of coverage. Ever since the Lori Loughlin thing it regularly gets brought up on their Facebook which probably led to this decision. 

I don't think Loughlin was fired because she is accused of a crime but because the story was huge and every single article mentioned Hallmark. My feeling is that they still might have worked with her eventually if it hadn’t happened in the middle of When Calls the Heart and if she hadn’t been filming at the time she was arrested. The story broke at the worst possible time for Hallmark. 

Edited by Dani
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, MissyPoo said:

I bet it's a complete twist we'll never see coming.

Heh.  First, their writers only produce formulaic scripts so have no clue on how to come up with twists.  Second, they live by the rule that All Hallmark Movies Must Have Treacly Endings.

• Like 1

The Last Bridesmaid started enjoyably enough, largely based on the charm of its leads who I tend to like in general.  For better or worse, they at least bring personality to their roles even if the part is otherwise bland.

But somewhere at the half point, I started to like it less. I don't know if it was because of the ridiculous scene where he tried to manipulate the best man out of the photo even though the best man wasn't really anything to Rachel's character. Or once it took its hard turn into the inevitable (and ridiculous) pursing jewelry full time.  Everyone was so impressed with the fact that she used stones and beads like just about every other hobbyist jewelry maker out there.

And if Paul's character was so concerned about no one seeing his documentary, you'd think he'd have it protected more than he did.

Or maybe others liked it more and my displeasure was due to my being distracted by baking in the second half.

• Like 3

Does Hallmark have any series other than When Calls the Heart and Good Witch?  I am so tired of the same-old/same-old movies repeated over and over and over, same actors, same plots, same checklist.

I don't like most of what is on other channels, it would be nice to have some Hallmark series as an alternative.  (I wish I could get the mysteries channel, but my cable company doesn't offer it.)

5 minutes ago, treeofdreams said:

Does Hallmark have any series other than When Calls the Heart and Good Witch?

They have Chesapeake Shores which is coming back this summer for six episodes.  I think it's the final season and there will be a spinoff movie. I don't watch so I don't know what that will involve.

• Like 2

The Last Bridesmaid. I thought it was so unbelievable how the daughter was going to take over the parents' insurance business, but decided to make jewelry full time. The parents were all set to retire and looking forward to it. So, when the daughter decided to tell the mom that she wasn't going to take the business over--it was suddenly like no big deal. We will just have to tell your dad. We can postpone our retirement. It was just so casual and well received. Completely unrealistic.

• Like 3

About the Chesapeake Shores movie that Irlandesa referenced above --

I don't watch the series either, but knowing that the movie was supposed to be set in Rome, I had been waiting for some sort of indication that it had started production or was going to film soon (so I could look at pretty photos of Rome scenery on social media).

Apparently, from the way things are looking, it seems that the Chesapeake Shores movie  is not scheduled to film, and no one knows when it will be filmed.   The next season of the show has already been filmed, however.

In typical Hallmark fashion, something must have happened to delay production on the movie, but I don't know if that means it will be filmed later this year (to air in 2020), or if it will just be filmed sometime next year, tacked on to the beginning or end of another season of the series (if it is renewed for summer 2020).    I don't even know if it will still be set in Rome by the time it finally shoots.   

I don't know what the status is, but it looks like the movie is not going to air in 2019 if it is not filmed sometime in the next couple of months.  (If it's not a Christmas movie, then it would have to be on the air by early/mid-October, which means it would probably have to go into production by late August/beginning of September.)

However, the upcoming season of CS should probably premiere in late August/early September and wrap up sometime by mid-October -- unless Hallmark decides to air it in 2020.

Edited by TVFan17

I liked “ The Last Bridesmaid “ because of the leads, too. They did have some chemistry. But I thought , for the formulaic conflict, that the Uncle filmmaker was going to “accidentally “ delete Paul Campbell’s movie off his tablet since they made it sound like that was the only copy.

• Like 3

I saw a commercial for the new Aurora Teagarden movie premiering in August and got first look at wig Candice Cameron Bure mentioned in interview last year that she wore instead of dyeing her hair again.  I think it is as bad or worse than the one Jewel wore in her first Fixer Upper Mystery.

• Like 2

Why would Candace Cameron Bure have to dye her hair? I have missed something so please fill me in.  Is it a different color now than it was when she was filming the previous season?  Who on earth would care?  

I actually liked the kind-of short bob she wore in the earlier movies. But yes, saw a preview of her upcoming movie and could not believe my eyes!  What is the deal with the actresses on this channel having terrible hair; at least a good many of them do.  I don't mind the color...it is the out-dated, impractical styles that they sport.  Why are the actresses hairstyles such a huge, distracting deal for the channel.  It is creepy and distracting.

5 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

The Last Bridesmaid started enjoyably enough, largely based on the charm of its leads who I tend to like in general.  For better or worse, they at least bring personality to their roles even if the part is otherwise bland.

But somewhere at the half point, I started to like it less. I don't know if it was because of the ridiculous scene where he tried to manipulate the best man out of the photo even though the best man wasn't really anything to Rachel's character. Or once it took its hard turn into the inevitable (and ridiculous) pursing jewelry full time.  Everyone was so impressed with the fact that she used stones and beads like just about every other hobbyist jewelry maker out there.

And if Paul's character was so concerned about no one seeing his documentary, you'd think he'd have it protected more than he did.

Or maybe others liked it more and my displeasure was due to my being distracted by baking in the second half.

Just watched it off the DVR while getting caught up on some work. We were just at a friend's son's wedding at one of the cutsey fake barn wedding venues that are popping up 1/2 hour outside of metro area, including the nearby chain hotels off the freeway that turned into impromptu party areas the night before.

I agree with the critics. I couldn't tell if she was doing bridesmaid services for pay, plus the insurance business. 

The jewelry business didn't seem like it would take off like that for her, looked more like craft fair level stuff...but if we accept a woman is a chief of surgery or chief of staff at a teaching hospital, while also being a single parent to a teen girl, with no housekeeper or other personal staff, I can put aside my disbelief for this, too.

I also agree the lead changing her mind at  the last minute and messing up her parents retirement and source of retirement funds was a terrible thing to do. Pretty close to evil.

That being, the actors were great, and the couple really seemed like they were in a relationship, which hasn't 100% been the case in the movies this last year. I even smiled at the silly 'zomg, you have to skip work and go sample my menu right now, because the groom will be getting an IV for an hour and I can't leave or reschedule', because the support actresses (mom and bride) were so likable about it.

Edited by Happywatcher

I wasn’t fully paying attention during The Last Bridesmaid. Was she going to buy out her parents’ business or simply inherit it? If she wasn’t going to buy them out, then selling the business is actually far better for their retirement. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pallida said:

I wasn’t fully paying attention during The Last Bridesmaid. Was she going to buy out her parents’ business or simply inherit it? If she wasn’t going to buy them out, then selling the business is actually far better for their retirement. 

I assumed she was going to run it for them and then use the buy sell life policies to fund the inheritance taxes when they died.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

They have Chesapeake Shores which is coming back this summer for six episodes.  I think it's the final season and there will be a spinoff movie. I don't watch so I don't know what that will involve.

I hope they finally circle back to a plot for the show. They haven't had one since season 1. 

13 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Heh.  First, their writers only produce formulaic scripts so have no clue on how to come up with twists.  Second, they live by the rule that All Hallmark Movies Must Have Treacly Endings.

Naturally. I imagine they use one story blueprint from the older movies that worked and just switch out the names and places. Probably the guidelines they give out to their screenwriters. Though there are a few that try to break from the mold from time to time. 

As for Aurora Teagarden's hair, I thought the side ponytail braid wig/style in the first movie was the book character's signature hairstyle. Maybe a reader can confirm. I'm still baffled why she had a new hair seemingly every movie.

18 minutes ago, Pallida said:

I only saw the beginning, but I believe she was set to take over the business as they were prepping to retire. I agree about selling. Since they kept hinting toward the whole jewelry hobby thing, I had a feeling she'd end up doing that. I think I checked out of the movie about halfway through. I like the leads enough, but it felt too generic. Though I like the way they met. I'd rather have more leads meeting at functions and stuff rather than charging head first into each other and spilling coffee everywhere.

Edited by MissyPoo
  • Like 1

Honestly, how much money do people make when they sell crafty jewelry? I was in disbelief on Gilmore Girls that a married couple (annoying TJ and Liz) survived on the jewelry they sold at a Renaissance fair. Do people really make that much money? 

I had such high hopes with a Paul Campbell- Rachel Boston movie but wish they got a better movie to star in. Both characters were at times extremely unlikable. 

• Like 1

I loved the 2nd installment of Mystery 101 tonight.  Kristoffer Polaha and Jill Wagner are the best duo on the Hallmark channel IMO.  I pray to the Hallmark gods that they don’t mess with their excellent chemistry — it’s smart, fun, balanced, friends but “interested” — not an ounce of cutesy or silly.  The mystery kept me guessing and I loved the Agatha Christie-ness of it.  I’ll watch again!

• Like 5

1 minute ago, MerBearHou said:

The mystery kept me guessing and I loved the Agatha Christie-ness of it.

Yep. I liked it too.  It was a very twisty complicated story which, on these shows, sometimes leads to them not making sense but I think this one did.  I think?

And the resolution was almost touching in a way.  Twisted but touching.

• Like 3

Count me in as another one who liked the second Mystery 101 movie.    It had some fun twists, and made me jump a couple of times.   

So that's 2 for 2 for me in that series.  I am looking forward to the 3rd Mystery 101 installment in September, and I suppose the 4th movie is airing in 2020.

Kristoffer and Jill have been great together in all of their Hallmark movies, so Hallmark got very lucky with that duo.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Kemper said:

Why would Candace Cameron Bure have to dye her hair? I have missed something so please fill me in.  Is it a different color now than it was when she was filming the previous season?  Who on earth would care?  

I actually liked the kind-of short bob she wore in the earlier movies. But yes, saw a preview of her upcoming movie and could not believe my eyes!  What is the deal with the actresses on this channel having terrible hair; at least a good many of them do.  I don't mind the color...it is the out-dated, impractical styles that they sport.  Why are the actresses hairstyles such a huge, distracting deal for the channel.  It is creepy and distracting.

In the interview, she said she had been dyeing her hair different colors for the different projects she was working on and ended up damaging her hair to the point where some of it was falling out, so she wanted to avoid that happening again so just wore a wig.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Pickles said:

The Last Bridesmaid. I thought it was so unbelievable how the daughter was going to take over the parents' insurance business, but decided to make jewelry full time. The parents were all set to retire and looking forward to it. So, when the daughter decided to tell the mom that she wasn't going to take the business over--it was suddenly like no big deal. We will just have to tell your dad. We can postpone our retirement. It was just so casual and well received. Completely unrealistic.

But that's Hallmark.  They've done this plot a million times.  Somebody has a 'dream' of doing something completely unrealistic and unprofitable for a living; so they abandon their dull but well paid job completely to pursue this dream full time.  In real life, there are millions of people out there making jewelry and selling it at craft shows and virtually none of them are supporting themselves with the proceeds but instead, doing it as a hobby while working at actual jobs.

There was another movie just a few weeks back where the daughter decided to leave her father's successful accounting firm (I think they were accountants) to become a photographer fulltime because the owner of an art gallery in a vacation town thought she had incredible talent (based on what we saw, she didn't).  Once again, her parents were all supportive and enthusiastic at the news that she wasn't returning to work and they were going to have to rework their retirement plan.  And she had no paying gigs lined up, just a promise she could sell her stuff in a single art gallery that only draws a crowd during the summer months.  That's not a career plan, that's just dumb.

We've had others quit to write romance novels, or paint or sing.  All of them with no apparent plan other than quitting their full time paying job.  No contracts, no mentors, no grants.  No sense.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Like 2