Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

34 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Ugh, they're the worst! I still deal with some acne, but I very rarely get anything cystic since taking spironolactone.

I'm so grateful for the drug, but I do have some pet peeves about it, itself. It causes more frequent urination and makes my stomach more sensitive. I keep telling myself I'll clean up my diet so I won't have to take it anymore. 

I take spironolactone too, so this is a rare occurrence for me. It has been amazing for my skin, so when I do get a zit (it’s like once every six months) I feel so betrayed. I did just switch up a couple of things in my skincare routine, which I think is the culprit.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

I take spironolactone too, so this is a rare occurrence for me. It has been amazing for my skin, so when I do get a zit (it’s like once every six months) I feel so betrayed. I did just switch up a couple of things in my skincare routine, which I think is the culprit.

Same here. It transformed my skin. I haven’t gotten a large breakout since beginning of quarantine. I ate a little too much junk food, even for me, watching Tiger King. Good times. 

• LOL 2
8 hours ago, Calvada said:

I was in a hotel in Boston about 30 years ago on a work trip when the fire alarm went off about 2:30 am.  There was a loudspeaker announcement which was just a bunch of static.  I had no idea if they were saying false alarm, stay where you are, or RUN!  I got up, pulled on some clothes, grabbed my purse & briefcase, threw on my coat and walked down 7 flights of stairs, and stood shivering in the parking lot - did I mention it was January? -  while the fire department dealt with a small fire contained to a room on the 20th floor.  We were not allowed back to our rooms for over 90 minutes.  I was not at my best at the meeting I had at 8:00 am.

When my late DH was alive he was having an angioplasty. I was in the waiting room along with a whole bunch of other people who had loved ones in surgery. All of a sudden the fire alarm went off and when the elevator opened a bunch of firefighters rushed out. Not one single person, myself included moved from our seats. Our love ones were in surgery, not going anywhere until we knew they were safe. Turned out it was burnt popcorn in a  microwave on the floor.  Love wins!

• Love 9

Many moons ago my parents and another couple were staying at the Sheraton Prudential Center in Boston. Late at night the fire alarm went off and they had to climb down a *lot* of stairs as their rooms were on a floor up near the top. They enjoyed telling that story for years. 

• Love 1

Pet peeve - the frustration of explaining something to someone and they seem to understand and accept what you say and then a few weeks later there they are again asking the same damn thing and acting like they have just asked this for the first time.  I give up, I really do.

• Love 5

Peeve of the day. I'm sick of Boomers being blamed for everything that's wrong in the world. I'm just as sick of being told how spoiled and entitled Millennials are. They got a rotten deal. But mainly I'm sick of pointing fingers and hostility in every quarter.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 22

Now this is a peeve. I located 3 different shelters sort of near me and every one has shut down their TNR programs due to Covid19. I'll keep checking them to see if they lift the ban at any time. Grrrrrrr Stupid Covid! 

3 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

Now this is a peeve. I located 3 different shelters sort of near me and every one has shut down their TNR programs due to Covid19. I'll keep checking them to see if they lift the ban at any time. Grrrrrrr Stupid Covid! 

Some days it feels like we'll never get out from under. Thank god that kids can get vaccinated now. They've lost years of their childhood. I can't imagine what it would be like if I couldn't go out and play with my friends as a child or as a young parent with school aged children. The start of the school year was always full of activities and new things. Even just book fairs and science fairs and the like. Not to mention having to stay home from work because your child's school was shut down. I would have had to quit my job and lose months, if not years of valuable work experience.

• Useful 1

My take on kids and schools is different: as a teen, I would have loved being able to stay home and away from the many assholes who roamed the halls of my middle and high schools. Going back after months of blissful nonbullying would've driven me to the brink of suicide.

• Love 6

Today's peeve: here in Canada another prominent Covid denier and conspiracy theorist has died from Covid (and went to his death STILL denying Covid even exists much less that he had it) and we're supposed to be sympathetic and non-judgmental according to some of my FB friends.  Like hell.  Live by the sword, die by the sword is about as nice as I can be under the circumstances. 

• Love 24
On 11/4/2021 at 4:42 PM, peacheslatour said:

Some days it feels like we'll never get out from under. Thank god that kids can get vaccinated now. They've lost years of their childhood. I can't imagine what it would be like if I couldn't go out and play with my friends as a child or as a young parent with school aged children. The start of the school year was always full of activities and new things. Even just book fairs and science fairs and the like. Not to mention having to stay home from work because your child's school was shut down. I would have had to quit my job and lose months, if not years of valuable work experience.

They STILL haven't approved the vax for kids 5-11 in Canada yet, but it's supposed to be coming "soon" - as in the next few weeks.  That still won't affect my three year old though.  That won't likely come until people my age can get boosters...or even after.

• Love 3
On 11/4/2021 at 6:47 PM, ABay said:

My take on kids and schools is different: as a teen, I would have loved being able to stay home and away from the many assholes who roamed the halls of my middle and high schools. Going back after months of blissful nonbullying would've driven me to the brink of suicide.

I dropped out, and finished school at home, because of this (we were moving to California, from England, and home-schooling wasn't allowed at the time - not for kids my age). 

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, Anela said:

I dropped out, and finished school at home, because of this (we were moving to California, from England, and home-schooling wasn't allowed at the time - not for kids my age). 

I dropped out at seventeen, got my GED and went to design school. That's all I ever wanted to do. I took the bus to downtown Seattle every day for two years. 

• Love 7
22 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I dropped out at seventeen, got my GED and went to design school. That's all I ever wanted to do. I took the bus to downtown Seattle every day for two years. 

Dropping out/not going to a four year university would be seen as an ultimate sin in my community (both cultural and educational)! 

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Dropping out/not going to a four year university would be seen as an ultimate sin in my community (both cultural and educational)! 

It did not sit well in mine either. Most of my family are professionals; doctors, lawyers, dentists and engineers. The good news was my mom was a designer with her own business, so I was at least assured a job.

• Love 5

We (society) have got to stop thinking the only "acceptable" path after high school is a 4-year degree. There is a huge shortage of skilled workers (welders, plumbers, HVAC technicians, etc...) and those career paths make serious bank. An added bonus is those programs are often less expensive and come with internships that typically lead to a first job post-graduation.

• Love 22
15 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

We (society) have got to stop thinking the only "acceptable" path after high school is a 4-year degree. There is a huge shortage of skilled workers (welders, plumbers, HVAC technicians, etc...) and those career paths make serious bank. An added bonus is those programs are often less expensive and come with internships that typically lead to a first job post-graduation.

Certainly true. 

My wife and I both have college degrees but could see my now 19 tear old daughter was not ready for a 4 year college.  It would have been a disaster and waste of money. So it's work and a community college.  Maybe one day she will get a 4 year degree.  Or she won't. It's up to her to decide.  But we aren't forcing her and wasting tens of thousands just because that is what is expected.   

And the last year and a half for her has been much more life learning and worthwhile than college would have been. 

• Love 15
10 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Certainly true. 

My wife and I both have college degrees but could see my now 19 tear old daughter was not ready for a 4 year college.  It would have been a disaster and waste of money. So it's work and a community college.  Maybe one day she will get a 4 year degree.  Or she won't. It's up to her to decide.  But we aren't forcing her and wasting tens of thousands just because that is what is expected.   

And the last year and a half for her has been much more life learning and worthwhile than college would have been. 

I didn't get my degree untilI was nearly 30. I did a bunch of CC classes, and worked, but looking back I can see that my aimlessness and basically "wasting" my 20s negatively impacted my earning potential, and retirement savings. I wish I had been encouraged to persue a trade or alternate education path instead of being encouraged to work as a receptionist or clerical clerk. Not that there is anything wrong with administrative positions but my career path wasn't to be the next Donna Moss, or Donna Paulsen.

• Love 5
On 11/4/2021 at 5:47 PM, ABay said:

Same. I’m in my 30s and still remember how cruel teens can be. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, JustHereForFood said:

It is bad enough to spot a spider on the ceiling, but it is much worse when you look up later and can no longer see it, not knowing where it went, just that there is a spider in your room somewhere.

I laughed.  
But it’s been decades since I’ve lived with black widows or wolf spiders, and I’ve never lived where tarantulas roam. 
How big is it?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, JustHereForFood said:

It is bad enough to spot a spider on the ceiling, but it is much worse when you look up later and can no longer see it, not knowing where it went, just that there is a spider in your room somewhere.

I really wanted a shudder reaction emoji. I always assume the worst. 

• Love 1
On 10/29/2021 at 11:19 PM, Gramto6 said:

OK a new and annoying pet peeve a commercial/ad comes on  that has Siri say something..it activates my Siri on my laptop. And "she" asks what I want...,
Go away!  I don't want to interact with Siri...Just go away!!! This is invasive and annoying!

I don't have (or want) Siri, but I thought the whole point is that it's interactive and voice activated.

• Love 1
On 11/6/2021 at 7:01 PM, theredhead77 said:

I didn't get my degree untilI was nearly 30. I did a bunch of CC classes, and worked, but looking back I can see that my aimlessness and basically "wasting" my 20s negatively impacted my earning potential, and retirement savings. I wish I had been encouraged to persue a trade or alternate education path instead of being encouraged to work as a receptionist or clerical clerk. Not that there is anything wrong with administrative positions but my career path wasn't to be the next Donna Moss, or Donna Paulsen.

I'm so with you on this. 

• Love 2

Commercial related peeve - I keep seeing commercials for VRBO where the voiceover says "and room for you all to chef".  Ok first of all when did "chef" become a verb, but second of all do people who use VRBO to book their holidays not have kitchens where they live?

• Love 4
53 minutes ago, SusannahM said:

Commercial related peeve - I keep seeing commercials for VRBO where the voiceover says "and room for you all to chef".  Ok first of all when did "chef" become a verb, but second of all do people who use VRBO to book their holidays not have kitchens where they live?

I saw one the other night that was just as bad. It's a campaign for Marcus by Goldman Sachs. The pitch is "You can money". Just ridiculous.

On 10/30/2021 at 2:19 AM, Gramto6 said:

OK a new and annoying pet peeve a commercial/ad comes on  that has Siri say something..it activates my Siri on my laptop. And "she" asks what I want...,
Go away!  I don't want to interact with Siri...Just go away!!! This is invasive and annoying!

2 hours ago, Leeds said:

I don't have (or want) Siri, but I thought the whole point is that it's interactive and voice activated.

True, Siri's interactive and voice activated, but I think peeve is that Siri is interacting with ads on TV.  I had a similar issue with Alexa on a tablet.  If I was using the tablet, it would perk up whenever anything that sounded like "alexa" would come over the TV.  I think I turned that feature off; at least it hasn't happened lately.

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I saw one the other night that was just as bad. It's a campaign for Marcus by Goldman Sachs. The pitch is "You can money". Just ridiculous.

Ugh,  I saw another one like this a few weeks ago "this is how I Walmart".  Again, ugh.

27 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

True, Siri's interactive and voice activated, but I think peeve is that Siri is interacting with ads on TV.  I had a similar issue with Alexa on a tablet.  If I was using the tablet, it would perk up whenever anything that sounded like "alexa" would come over the TV.  I think I turned that feature off; at least it hasn't happened lately.

God, it's like having a dog that freaks out when it hears sirens on TV.

• LOL 6
On 11/8/2021 at 12:48 PM, SusannahM said:

"and room for you all to chef".  Ok first of all when did "chef" become a verb,

On 11/8/2021 at 1:44 PM, peacheslatour said:

The pitch is "You can money".

I've known recent immigrants who rely on television to increase their ESL skills. 
Some PhD student should write a dissertation on the effects of bad English grammar on TV on ESL skills.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 9
7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I laughed.  
But it’s been decades since I’ve lived with black widows or wolf spiders, and I’ve never lived where tarantulas roam. 
How big is it?

It's not big, maybe like 2 centimetres or something like that and probably not dangerous, but I am the type to be much more scared of smaller animals than large ones and spiders are a special case. I just hope that when/if it eventually comes out again, it will be somewhere where I can reach it so that I can practice getting close enough to kill it, without getting a panic attack.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

I just hope that when/if it eventually comes out again, it will be somewhere where I can reach it so that I can practice getting close enough to kill it, without getting a panic attack.

This is why Swiffers were really invented. No need to get close.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

It's not big, maybe like 2 centimetres or something like that and probably not dangerous, but I am the type to be much more scared of smaller animals than large ones and spiders are a special case. I just hope that when/if it eventually comes out again, it will be somewhere where I can reach it so that I can practice getting close enough to kill it, without getting a panic attack.

In college, I lived in a dorm that regularly had brown recluse spiders. I used to spray them with aerosol hairspray (it was the early 90s). I didn’t have to get very close to asphyxiate them and freeze them in place.

• Love 4

News stories that don't know the difference between daylight saving time and standard time. I've seen reports on three different local news casts about how the recent change to DST affects people. I'm screaming at them, "NO! DST ended over the weekend. We're on standard time now. Get it right."

Edited by scriggle
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, scriggle said:

News stories that don't know the difference between daylight savings time and standard time. I've seen reports on three different local news casts about how the recent change to DST affects people. I'm screaming at them, "NO! DST ended over the weekend. We're on standard time now. Get it right."

It's daylight saving (no S) time.

I vote for year-round DST; it gets dark far too early for my happiness this time of year anyway, and then we make it worse by falling back an hour.

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, Bastet said:

It's daylight saving (no S) time.

I vote for year-round DST; it gets dark far too early for my happiness this time of year anyway, and then we make it worse by falling back an hour.

Oops.

I say we split the difference. Change the time by a half hour and be done with it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Loud gum chewing 

Loud chewing in general!

And also:
Loud breathing. Loud sneezing. Loud music. Loud car engines. Loud children/babies. Loud talkers. Loud neighbors. Loud sex(if I’m not the one having it, that is).

Basically just:

steve carrell anchorman GIF by FirstAndMonday

Oddly enough though, I don’t mind loud farts. Because I have the humor of a 12-year-old boy.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

I can cut a loud burp daily after my ginger ale. I live alone so who cares if I burp out loud???

I wouldn't do it in public...but in the privacy of my home...let it rip...

Edited by Gramto6
added on to post
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4

The only way I can stop hiccuping is to chug a pop while intentionally swallowing air. The bigger the burp the faster my hiccups stop.
When I worked I would go outside to do this but at home I just do it. My husband is used to it and doesn’t even raise an eyebrow now.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

People who hit reply all and send their generic email to 1,000+ employees. I didn’t really need to know your Xfinity was back online, Janet, especially since I just dealt with the same thing.

Likewise people using the company Slack as a tell-all channel. (I’m still boggled that my coworker felt the need to use a department Slack to inform everyone she had a colonoscopy coming up.) 

Edited by Cloud9Shopper
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

Ugggggh, peeve: people telling you that you have to “get tough.” Summary:

My car is at the dealer because there is an ongoing issue that they can’t seem to locate. My car is still under warranty (and also paid off), but the people there seem to be trying to imply that if they can’t locate or replicate the problem, that the warranty is irrelevant. I have taken it to 2 other places, which also cannot find the problem. I am on week 3 of no car. So, all of that is well more than a mere peeve. But my peeve here is people who keep suggesting that I have to “be tough” with the people at the car dealer. I am TRYING! I am doing whatever I can but, ultimately, I am not able to FORCE them to do what I want. I know my friends and family mean well with this “get tough” advice, but (a) I have been, IMO (and have also sent a very detailed letter to the manufacturer's corporate warranty complaint department), and (b) again, I cannot physically make anyone do anything! 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 4
19 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Ugggggh, peeve: people telling you that you have to “get tough.” Summary:

My car is at the dealer because there is an ongoing issue that they can’t seem to locate. My car is still under warranty (and also paid off), but the people there seem to be trying to imply that if they can’t locate or replicate the problem, that the warranty is irrelevant. I have taken it to 2 other places, which also cannot find the problem. I am on week 3 of no car. So, all of that is well more than a mere peeve. But my peeve here is people who keep suggesting that I have to “be tough” with the people at the car dealer. I am TRYING! I am doing whatever I can but, ultimately, I am not able to FORCE them to do what I want. I know my friends and family mean well with this “get tough” advice, but (a) I have been, IMO (and have also sent a very detailed letter to the manufacturer's corporate warranty complaint department), and (b) again, I cannot physically make anyone do anything! 

And, for every person telling you/us to "get tough!" there's someone else telling us "you catch more flies with honey than vinegar" (which, although I know what it's supposed to mean, never made sense to me). 
And, undoubtedly, if you choose the "get tough" approach, 9 times out of 10 it will turn out you should have played it more sweet and sympathetic, whereas the opposite is also true. 
As Mom used to say: "Can't win for losing."

If you don't mind sharing, what's up with the car?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 6