Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

15 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Huh. No issues with my iPhone after last week's update.

15 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

lol my safari is now normal, but other apps are off for some reason. My family members' phones are fine though. Maybe coincidental timing? 

13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I still haven't done the last iPhone update, but I'm close to working up my nerve
--kind of like standing a little too long at the end of the diving board.

Crap. 
I finally decided to do the update to 14.8.1   
but   
now there’s iOS 15.

Did you just update your iPhones to 14.8.1   
or   
did you just update your iPhones to 15 ???

• Love 1
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Did you just update your iPhones to 14.8.1   
or   
did you just update your iPhones to 15 ???

The former. And now that I see there is a new one, installing it now.

ETA: Huh. That's weird. It said it was ready for installing, and now it's at "update requested" so I guess it's not ready to be installed.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
16 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Having to list references when applying for jobs. Anyone else struggle with this? 

I haven't run into that, yet, but I have my ducks in a row. A bunch of current coworkers, two former managers (and I'm sure my current manager will be a reference if I ask) at my current company, two people from two past positions and a couple long time friends. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Okay it’s Update 15.1 and posting from my iPhone and seems okay. The only new thing I’m noticing is the site name at the bottom.

I changed mine back to the top because I like it better there.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, Caoimhe said:

I changed mine back to the top because I like it better there.

I'll have to figure how to do that. Other than that, I don't have any issues with Safari. Other than when closing out of say, this site, instead of the X from before, the site gets minimized and I tap the x in the upper right hand corner.

49 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I'll have to figure how to do that. Other than that, I don't have any issues with Safari. Other than when closing out of say, this site, instead of the X from before, the site gets minimized and I tap the x in the upper right hand corner.

Tap the 'aA' icon that's on the left of the address bar. :)

I found out there was a google cloud outage, so that may have been why some of my apps weren't working.

1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

I haven't run into that, yet, but I have my ducks in a row. A bunch of current coworkers, two former managers (and I'm sure my current manager will be a reference if I ask) at my current company, two people from two past positions and a couple long time friends. 

I've thought about asking current coworkers, but I want to keep my job hunt private. I'm still happy at my job, just open to more lucrative opportunities. Is it okay to put friends as references? I'd definitely feel much better listing friends who aren't from work.

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
31 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Tap the 'aA' icon that's on the left of the address bar. :)

I found out there was a google cloud outage, so that may have been why some of my apps weren't working.

I've thought about asking current coworkers, but I want to keep my job hunt private. I'm still happy at my job, just open to more lucrative opportunities. Is it okay to put friends as references? I'd definitely feel much better listing friends who aren't from work.

I had no idea about using friends as references. I was an office manager and I did a lot of hiring. I don't think I would have been too impressed with references from buddies and pals.

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I'm still happy at my job, just open to more lucrative opportunities. Is it okay to put friends as references? I'd definitely feel much better listing friends who aren't from work.

It's a fine line.  If the friend you list as a reference works in your field and it would make sense that they know you I don't think it's a problem.  To be honest I suspect that's the case with most references.  I mean does anyone really give the names of people who aren't going to speak positively about them?

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, SusannahM said:

It's a fine line.  If the friend you list as a reference works in your field and it would make sense that they know you I don't think it's a problem.  To be honest I suspect that's the case with most references.  I mean does anyone really give the names of people who aren't going to speak positively about them?

True. Maybe I can list friends I previously worked with.

• Love 2
Just now, RealHousewife said:

True. Maybe I can list friends I previously worked with.

This is one reason I've stayed in touch with former supervisors!  You never know when you might need a reference and there is no way I'd want to apply for jobs and use my current manager or co-workers as references,  Talk about uncomfortable!

• Love 3
1 minute ago, SusannahM said:

This is one reason I've stayed in touch with former supervisors!  You never know when you might need a reference and there is no way I'd want to apply for jobs and use my current manager or co-workers as references,  Talk about uncomfortable!

Most of my supervisors have really liked me, but I have a couple now I wouldn't want knowing unless I am pretty sure I'm leaving. I didn't keep in touch with the one before him, though we really liked each other. And the one before that one was one of the few I wasn't very friendly with, though he couldn't deny I'm a good worker. It's tricky having ones that are both current and professional enough. For real!

• Love 3
56 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

It's been my experience that companies understand people who are job hunting under the radar and not listing current coworkers, but at some point in a career, not being able to list a single person from a prior job as a refernece can be considered a red flag.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

It's been my experience that companies understand people who are job hunting under the radar and not listing current coworkers, but at some point in a career, not being able to list a single person from a prior job as a refernece can be considered a red flag.

That's good and of course. 

24 minutes ago, SusannahM said:

I mean does anyone really give the names of people who aren't going to speak positively about them?

I know that whenever I was asked to be a reference by a former coworker or a student that I always said only positive things about the person, because in my mind, that's what a reference does. 

If asked to write a letter of recommendation, I wrote a letter that would absolutely get them that job so much as it depended on that letter.
I probably went a little overboard, gushing about the person's good points, because I knew that others might not, and I think everyone deserves a chance. 

In contrast, the boss I had for 17 years did not believe in giving a reference without including something negative, which I think is both insane and wrong. (She was worried about her own reputation in case the person she recommended was hired didn't work out.)
Knowing that, I did not feel like I could ask her to be a reference.

But I believe that supervisors should encourage their employees to advance in their careers and find fulfilling work, even if it might mean losing a good work colleague. 

And, unfortunately, employers reading less than glowing reference letters are not going to think: Gee. I guess they really don't want to lose that employee. We should hire her!

BTW: Letters of recommendation are such a chore to get! Even people who like you and want to write a letter in your support tend to hate writing them, or just don't have the time. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, SusannahM said:

Same! I never, ever used supervisors at the current job I was at when I was looking for other opportunities. I did, however, provide as references, past coworkers and supervisors.

Of course, with my recent history, I was able to provide their names while searching because I was no longer there, but could provide references who could provide good feed back for me.

4 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Most of my supervisors have really liked me, but I have a couple now I wouldn't want knowing unless I am pretty sure I'm leaving. I didn't keep in touch with the one before him, though we really liked each other. And the one before that one was one of the few I wasn't very friendly with, though he couldn't deny I'm a good worker. It's tricky having ones that are both current and professional enough. For real!

Do you have any previous supervisors from a different job you could provide?

• Love 1
1 minute ago, shapeshifter said:

I know that whenever I was asked to be a reference by a former coworker or a student that I always said only positive things about the person, because in my mind, that's what a reference does. 

If asked to write a letter of recommendation, I wrote a letter that would absolutely get them that job so much as it depended on that letter.
I probably went a little overboard, gushing about the person's good points, because I knew that others might not, and I think everyone deserves a chance. 

In contrast, the boss I had for 17 years did not believe in giving a reference without including something negative, which I think is both insane and wrong. (She was worried about her own reputation in case the person she hired didn't work out.)
Knowing that, I did not feel like I could ask her to be a reference.

But I believe that supervisors should encourage their employees to advance in their careers and find fulfilling work, even if it might mean losing a good work colleague. 

And, unfortunately, employers reading less than glowing reference letters are not going to think: Gee. I guess they really don't want to lose that employee. We should hire her!

BTW: Letters of recommendation are such a chore to get! Even people who like you and want to write a letter in your support tend to hate writing them, or just don't have the time. 

I've always been too shy to ask! Luckily they're not as important as references. 

Anyhow, gotten too OT. Sorry for that! Back to pet peeves . . .

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 1
Just now, RealHousewife said:

I've always been too shy to ask! Luckily they're not as important as references. 

Yes, letters of recommendation don't seem to be required very much anymore except for people applying to paid graduate school programs, and for those there are former professors--but who often do not have time.

• Love 2

My current pet peeve - people at airports. I’m in Atlanta waiting for my flight to Albuquerque and a woman sits down next to me and has a long, loud conversion with her son using her speaker phone. People, be aware of your surround show a little respect.

On the way back a metal water thermos tumbled down the aisle during takeoff. I tried to stop it and the guy two seats behind me grabbed it and relayed it to me. Turns out it was someone all the way up in 1st class who had no idea said water container was missing. 
I’ve dropped things before, but I am aware of what I dropped. The person didn’t even know it had happened.

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, Stats Queen said:

My current pet peeve - people at airports. I’m in Atlanta waiting for my flight to Albuquerque and a woman sits down next to me and has a long, loud conversion with her son using her speaker phone. People, be aware of your surround show a little respect.

On the way back a metal water thermos tumbled down the aisle during takeoff. I tried to stop it and the guy two seats behind me grabbed it and relayed it to me. Turns out it was someone all the way up in 1st class who had no idea said water container was missing. 
I’ve dropped things before, but I am aware of what I dropped. The person didn’t even know it had happened.

I can't stand people who use speakerphone in public, especially at the airport. I'll get up and walk away from soemone who sits down next to me and pulls that shit. 

But the water bottle, it's possible she had it under her seat, or by her feet and got jostled and rolled away. I'm speaking from experience, I normally loop a jacket strap I have on my backpack around my water bottle. On one trip I must have kicked it loose while adjusting my feet and there it went. Oops.

• Love 9

Was she at least wearing a mask?

• Love 4

The car saga continues. It is week 4 of me not having my car, which is still at the dealer that can't find the issue -- oh, wait! They did (claim to) find the issue! They are blaming it on the battery I bought in September from another place after I found the old battery mysteriously dead for the third or fourth time. They replaced the battery, on my OK, even though I don't believe that was the problem (at least not the only problem). What was not OK'd by me, however, was for them to get rid of the so-called problem battery...

thus ensuring that I now cannot attempt to get a refund from the other place.

Edited by TattleTeeny
1 hour ago, Stats Queen said:

My current pet peeve - people at airports. I’m in Atlanta waiting for my flight to Albuquerque and a woman sits down next to me and has a long, loud conversion with her son using her speaker phone.

You can steal this idea from a friend who actually did it in a restaurant. He leaned over and spoke loudly toward the woman's phone, "Be careful what you say, man. She's broadcasting this to the whole restaurant."

• Useful 2
  • LOL 18
  • Love 2
On 11/13/2021 at 7:54 AM, ABay said:

My chocolate chip cookie peeve is that I can never get them flat enough.

I've heard many complaints that the recipe on the back of the bag yields cookies that are too flat, but that's what I want--flat cookies with chips that rise up like chocolate islands. I've tried substituting milk for one egg, leaving out the baking soda, adding a little more liquid, lowering the oven temperature, different scoop sizes.  But still I get puffy cookies.

I'm late to this conversation - stupid job and life keeping me away; that's my peeve today - but my suggestion for flat cookies is warm butter, almost to the point of melting.  Think of a stick of butter left out on a warm summer day.  You want warm butter and definitely don't chill the dough - your cookies should spread out.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
20 minutes ago, Calvada said:

I'm late to this conversation - stupid job and life keeping me away; that's my peeve today - but my suggestion for flat cookies is warm butter, almost to the point of melting.  Think of a stick of butter left out on a warm summer day.  You want warm butter and definitely don't chill the dough - your cookies should spread out.  

I agree. 

12 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

The car saga continues. It is week 4 of me not having my car, which is still at the dealer that can't find the issue -- oh, wait! They did (claim to) find the issue! They are blaming it on the battery I bought in September from another place after I found the old battery mysteriously dead for the third or fourth time. They replaced the battery, on my OK, even though I don't believe that was the problem (at least not the only problem). What was not OK'd by me, however, was for them to get rid of the so-called problem battery...

thus ensuring that I now cannot attempt to get a refund from the other place.

Sounds like they're performing remedial trouble shooting, straight out of the Car Stuff For Dummies handbook.  Yanking the battery is the low hanging fruit.  Obviously, there is an electrical issue that is causing the batteries to be ruined.  That, or you have the unequalled skill of having all the bad batteries in your area installed in your car, and yours alone.

I don't recall if you said that your car was still under warranty?  Even if it isn't, I'd say it's time to put everyone involved on blast on social media.  Twitter seems fairly effective with this practice.  Make sure to tag the car mfgr, the original battery mfgr (they don't want their reputation sullied, even if they're not the culprit), and any and all repair shops/dealerships you have worked with on this issue.  Perhaps it's time for a lawyer letter to all the ^above, and make sure to cc the appropriate usa.gov/car-complaints agency. Keep accurate, complete records of your time/expenses spent in dealing with the issue.

Lastly, good luck!

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 4

It is still under warranty, yes. And, ahahhahaah a, oh my goodness — I totally have wondered if I am somehow causing it with my own body, as I seem to have this effect on other things as well, per my boyfriend. 

I have no car knowledge and I do not run a business, but I can’t help but believe they should knock off at least the cost of the battery they threw out. The other place said to bring it in and they’d check it out; they seem like they want to correct this if they had anything to do with it (and maybe they do; maybe the car itself is not the problem — maybe my first battery was just old and bad and in need of replacing, and maybe it’s just a nasty coincidence that the second one is too). That’s a lot of maybes, but my car dealer has now screwed up any recourse I have.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Sounds like they're performing remedial trouble shooting, straight out of the Car Stuff For Dummies handbook.  Yanking the battery is the low hanging fruit.  Obviously, there is an electrical issue that is causing the batteries to be ruined.  That, or you have the unequalled skill of having all the bad batteries in your area installed in your car, and yours alone.

I don't recall if you said that your car was still under warranty?  Even if it isn't, I'd say it's time to put everyone involved on blast on social media.  Twitter seems fairly effective with this practice.  Make sure to tag the car mfgr, the original battery mfgr (they don't want their reputation sullied, even if they're not the culprit), and any and all repair shops/dealerships you have worked with on this issue.  Perhaps it's time for a lawyer letter to all the ^above, and make sure to cc the appropriate usa.gov/car-complaints agency. Keep accurate, complete records of your time/expenses spent in dealing with the issue.

Lastly, good luck!

25 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

It is still under warranty, yes. And, ahahhahaah a, oh my goodness — I totally have wondered if I am somehow causing it with my own body, as I seem to have this effect on other things as well, per my boyfriend. 

I have no car knowledge and I do not run a business, but I can’t help but believe they should knock off at least the cost of the battery they threw out. The other place said to bring it in and they’d check it out; they seem like they want to correct this if they had anything to do with it (and maybe they do; maybe the car itself is not the problem — maybe my first battery was just old and bad and in need of replacing, and maybe it’s just a nasty coincidence that the second one is too). That’s a lot of maybes, but my car dealer has now screwed up any recourse I have.

Yes, and yes.
Recently I purchased a washer and dryer from Home Despots Are Us.
They include the cost of installation in the purchase.
They outsource the installation to an outfit that seems to hire out-of-work bouncers. These big guys have memorized a script to tell the customers why they should not balance the machines. I know because they sent 2 different installation teams and they used the exact same doublespeak language on me. 
Instead of "installation team," they should be "the gaslight team."
So.
I made calls and carried on way beyond what it good for me, finally asking a low level manager at home depot: 
   "...What am I supposed to do? Do I need to call the Better Business Bureau? [etc. etc. etc.]"
So now I am suppose to hire someone to balance the washing machine and fix the leak and, allegedly, the despots at Home Depot will reimburse me.

@TattleTeeny, a car is a much bigger purchase and is also potentially a weapon of mass destruction if the engineers and "mechanics" screw it up.
But it all depends upon how much energy you have to deal with these gaslighting idiots.

I suspect that, like me, you don't know "a good mechanic" which makes it so much more difficult.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 4

BTW, speaking of cars:

Yesterday I took my 2014 Subaru Impreza to get the oil changed. 
Now there's an Armed Security light flashing non-stop on the dashboard.
Won't this drain the battery????

I don't want to call them because they didn't charge me for the oil change because when I got there, a woman in the waiting room and some of the employees were unmasked, so I waited outside in 44°F weather for an hour. 
I was a little annoyed. Well, I may have expressed a lot of annoyance. I did use the words "emphysema" and "hillbillies."
But I really didn't need to be comped for the oil change.

And now I really don't want to call and ask about the light. I mean. I might as well say, "Hi, I'm the Karen that was in yesterday with the oil change."

Reading the owners manual, it is something about being armed or unarmed.

Personally, I would prefer it if everyone was unarmed, so I guess that goes for my car too?

• LOL 2
2 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Now there's an Armed Security light flashing non-stop on the dashboard.
Won't this drain the battery????

I know zip about cars but I notice these lights all the time.  I'd hazard a guess that either the power usage is so trivial it won't affect the battery or else they have their own source of power of some kind?  If not you wouldn't be the only one worrying about wearing down your battery!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Yes, and yes.
They outsource the installation to an outfit that seems to hire out-of-work bouncers. These big guys have memorized a script to tell the customers why they should not balance the machines. I know because they sent 2 different installation teams and they used the exact same doublespeak language on me. 
Instead of "installation team," they should be "the gaslight team."
So.
I made calls and carried on way beyond what it good for me, finally asking a low level manager at home depot: 
   "...What am I supposed to do? Do I need to call the Better Business Bureau? [etc. etc. etc.]"
So now I am suppose to hire someone to balance the washing machine and fix the leak and, allegedly, the despots at Home Depot will reimburse me.

@TattleTeeny, a car is a much bigger purchase and is also potentially a weapon of mass destruction if the engineers and "mechanics" screw it up.
But it all depends upon how much energy you have to deal with these gaslighting idiots.

I suspect that, like me, you don't know "a good mechanic" which makes it so much more difficult.

I wish I had a transporter so I could send you guys my husband. He is a fantastic mechanic with thirty years in the business and a great handy man. He fixes everything in our house and we never have to call "a guy" for anything.

• Love 9
21 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I wish I had a transporter so I could send you guys my husband. He is a fantastic mechanic with thirty years in the business and a great handy man. He fixes everything in our house and we never have to call "a guy" for anything.

Hey, if a house on your block becomes available, let me know! 
(only slightly kidding)

• Love 2

I think I do know a mechanic or two (though they may not have the draw test technology), but silly me assumed that the logical place to start was the place at which I am still under warranty. Joke’s on me!

One of the mechanics I know actually used to work for this dealer. They recently “let him go” after 20 years and then begged him to return…

for a lower salary. He did not.

And again, I am completely baffled that these people are willing to forgo the possibility of selling another car to me (provided a good deal can be struck in light of the last few months of torture) in favor of saving ~$200 because of a battery. I was willing to move forward in the hope that this was a mechanical fluke. But their drastically diminished customer service has changed my mind.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I can't stand people who use speakerphone in public, especially at the airport. I'll get up and walk away from soemone who sits down next to me and pulls that shit. 

I abhor anyone using speaker phone anywhere public! The number of times I've been at the grocery store, the dentist office, a public park, anywhere that other people are in near proximity, and was subjected to, in the best case, a mundane conversation or, in the worst case, and extremely personal conversation, is unbelievable!  I laugh at the commercials where the guy is trying to teach people not to become their parents, especially the one with the lady with her phone on speaker discussing her meal options because it is so spot-on. I've seen it with young and old so I can't hold one demographic more liable than another. 

They outsource the installation to an outfit that seems to hire out-of-work bouncers. These big guys have memorized a script to tell the customers why they should not balance the machines.

Mr. Keps works with a specific appliance and any time he gets a call from someone who recently had a new install from one of the Big Box stores he knows before he gets there what the problem(s) will be. Many times he has to repair their "work" because it is so slipshod and usually not to code, specifically, fire code.  Of course he has to charge the homeowner and they will lament "but I paid to have it installed, they should have to refund my money!" and he agrees but there's nothing he can do. 

• Love 6

Hey, if a house on your block becomes available, let me know! 
(only slightly kidding)

Sadly there is not. But Seattle weather is not for everyone any way. I would love to have a bunch of us living on the same street. Imagine the block parties in the summer!

image.png.33a70a5be91f74b2e1cf34d6b748b7d4.png

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

The term “speaker phone” makes me laugh — it’s the “phone” part, I think. But it also reminds me a a peeve (that could also go in the annoying commercials thread): a product called “Cup Phone.” First of all, how imaginative! Second, wouldn’t it actually be a “phone cup”?

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

There are lots of folks out there who were the kids who made great grades and had high test scores but didn't become doctors or whatever. 

A lot of people have a hard time differentiating between bright and brilliant where their kids are concerned.  I've seen way too many kids pushed into gifted programs who really shouldn't have been there and wow 20 years later those kids are perfectly nice people doing perfectly good jobs but they aren't the high flyers their parents pushed them to be.  I just hope in those cases the parents made their peace with this and aren't either still pushing, or worse, are acting all disappointed because junior didn't end up a phi beta kappa.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

People who think their kids or themselves are unique for having untapped potential. There are lots of folks out there who were the kids who made great grades and had high test scores but didn't become doctors or whatever. 

Dr. Spender Reid: Do you ever wonder if you lived up to expectations?

Emily Prentiss : I beat them. I figured I'd be a bored socialite by 25.

Dr. Spencer Reid : I thought I'd cure schizophrenia by the time I was 25. You know, when I was a kid, people told me that I could do anything.

Emily Prentiss : You're afraid you've let people down?

Dr. Spencer Reid : No, I'm afraid I let myself down.

Emily Prentiss : By not curing schizophrenia?

Dr. Spencer Reid : No, just because... I don't know why I'm in the FBI.

Emily Prentiss : I see. You're genius, but you have the same job as me, Morgan, JJ.

Dr. Spencer Reid : Yeah, exactly. No, that's not what I'm saying. It's just sometimes... sometimes, I kind of get this feeling like... Like maybe I should have done something more with my life.

• Love 7

Oh.My.God!!! WTF? You KNOW you're going to the post office to mail packages. PACK THEM BEFORE you go! Don't stand there at the counter while the poor postal worker puts the box together, puts the thing in, tapes the box, has to ask you multiple times if the address is right. Christ on a cracker! What is wrong with people?!

And it was apparently "passport but we don't know how to fill out this form so do it for us" day as there were 3 people ahead of me like that.

I feel so sorry for the poor workers who have to put with assholes like that as well as those of us--who had prepared our packages--in line.

And one more thing--since you apparently have gobs of time to waste, go to the post office midmorning when most people are at work, not late afternoon.

And in closing, GAAAHHH!!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
38 minutes ago, ABay said:

Oh.My.God!!! WTF? You KNOW you're going to the post office to mail packages. PACK THEM BEFORE you go! Don't stand there at the counter while the poor postal worker puts the box together, puts the thing in, tapes the box, has to ask you multiple times if the address is right. Christ on a cracker! What is wrong with people?!

And it was apparently "passport but we don't know how to fill out this form so do it for us" day as there were 3 people ahead of me like that.

I feel so sorry for the poor workers who have to put with assholes like that as well as those of us--who had prepared our packages--in line.

And one more thing--since you apparently have gobs of time to waste, go to the post office midmorning when most people are at work, not late afternoon.

And in closing, GAAAHHH!!!

I can see you sighing, tapping your foot, rolling your eyes and checking your watch from here, lol. What a hassle though. Get your shit together people!

Edited by peacheslatour
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

My pet peeve today is me (and my car company, I guess). For the first time in my life, I decided to lease a car instead of buying it and now the lease is coming to an end. I'm not a huge fan of the car, but given the supply chain and other issues, I decided to buy it instead of looking for a new car right now. I have one remaining lease payment and I've been trying to get the car company to provide me with the balance after that payment is made so I can get an auto loan for the remainder. It is impossible to get a live person on the phone to show me where on their site I can get this info and when I request it be emailed to me, there isn't an option for that, only a mailed option which takes 10 to 14 days to arrive. Why is this so difficult?

Cars just suck, man! 

Also, I have mine back. And I made them retrieve my battery from wherever it was they sent it when they should not have done so in the first place. And now we wait…

OH! They also, on the spot, ran another parasitic draw test. It took all of 15 minutes. Kind of makes me wonder why, when I asked for one, I was told they could get to it in a few days.

ETA another OH! They had the nerve to act as if I should have known that they get rid of old batteries immediately. Obviously, I didn't assume that they keep them forever, but I don't know the exact policy unless they let me in on it -- and if they had, I'd have said, "please don't; I would like to return it to where I bought it" (and never mind that they knew that I bought it only a month ago from a completely different place). In fact, in an attempt to illustrate just how clueless I am, they offered this helpful analogy: "Well, we don't hang onto and give back your old oil when we do your oil changes." I mean, this wasn't $30; it was close to $200 and I'll thank you to not to just assume I'm OK "recycling" it.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 6
21 minutes ago, emma675 said:

It is impossible to get a live person on the phone to show me where on their site I can get this info and when I request it be emailed to me, there isn't an option for that, only a mailed option which takes 10 to 14 days to arrive. Why is this so difficult?

I was trying to make changes to my Dad's insurance for him and couldn't get in contact with an actual person through email or through the phone number provided.  We ended up getting him insurance through a different company and sending a letter advising the old company that they have lost a customer.  It was so infuriating! 

• Love 6
51 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I've been trying to get the car company to provide me with the balance after that payment is made so I can get an auto loan for the remainder. It is impossible to get a live person on the phone to show me where on their site I can get this info and when I request it be emailed to me, there isn't an option for that, only a mailed option which takes 10 to 14 days to arrive. Why is this so difficult?

Have you contacted their corporate office or are you working with the local dealership?