Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

On 6/2/2021 at 4:16 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I can and do correct friends who make this EGREGIOUS error on Facebook, but alas, can't do it here.

I correct egregious errors for a living, but I cannot be bothered with (though I am often bothered by) them on people’s FB posts (unless someone is being an asshole and/or wants to pay me $36/hour. Also, I just made up that number; I actually have no idea what my hourly pay is)!

(edited)
On 5/28/2021 at 7:52 PM, Hangin Out said:

I went on Facebook once to see what the big deal was.  All I saw were people dressed up, or on vacation.  The comments were all the same, for instance “you look beautiful” .. “stunning” .. “so gorgeous”, blah, blah.  They all looked like crap .. hahaha.  What bullshit.  It’s all competition, to me anyhow.  Do I feel bad that I didn’t go to the Bahamas for two weeks?  Hell no.  I go to Disney every year in the car.image.png.8b19657e7a5486659cb176f33061f7c9.png 

P.s.  I have no idea how that thing up there came on.  A Unicorn?

I assume you know that it all depends on who you’re looking at on Facebook? I have no issue with people being dressed up or comments complimenting them or vacation photos (after all, looking “like crap” is in the eye of the beholder), but those things are not all that’s there. The people I know talk about books, movies, TV, politics (a blessing and a curse), pets, kids, causes, etc. Also, random observations and funny things we have seen that day, stuff we’ve made, old pictures we’ve found, invitations, events, birthday wishes, interaction among people who would otherwise not have reconnected or who are far apart from each other, and general stuff we think about. 

Yes, there is a ton of nonsense on FB, obviously. But that all depends on who and what you’re connected to. 

My peeve may be people that assume that FB is somehow not a valid method of communication/community. To decide it’s all nonsense and garbage for superficial pursuits is just silly—that’s like summarily condemning the telephone because of spam calls. In fact, I communicate with my 90-year-old grandma on Facebook, haha! It’s 2021; social media is a thing people use to connect. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

My peeve may be people that assume that FB is somehow not a valid method of communication/community. To decide it’s all nonsense and garbage for superficial pursuits is just silly—that’s like summarily condemning the telephone because of spam calls. In fact, I communicate with my 90-year-old grandma on Facebook, haha! It’s 2021; social media is a thing people use to connect. 

Thank you for saying this. Facebook is how I stay in touch and communicate with all my relatives in India; reconnected with friends I grew up with from my childhood neighborhood, and friends I'd lost touched with. I'm not on it daily, 24/7, but I'm also in several groups--book, shows, breast cancer support (since Lolly's Lock's had to shut down due to lack of funds, but the women I met and got to know and become friends with are the bravest strongest women I know, I connected on that platform).

That said, if people hate it, that's fine. But I mostly remained quiet because I felt like I was some narcissistic self-absorbed person for having a Facebook account, when I read (not just here), the generalization that people have it so they can rack up as many likes as they can.

• Love 8
(edited)

FB haters - that will be my peeve of the day.  My husband hates FB even though he rarely uses the account he has.  The hate isn't based on what he himself has ever personally experienced, it's based on whatever news article he's just listened to that is bashing FB.  Sometimes with good reason I totally concede, but even so it drives me crazy when he starts ranting about FB when he knows perfectly well that our kids and I as well as many of our friends and family have FB accounts and use it to some degree or another.   

You get out of FB what you want to get out of FB and when it stops being a place I want to visit to share family news or to play games or to visit with 'friends' I've made through various FB groups I'll stop going there.  Until then I wish he'd stop letting the media decide what he thinks about something he never uses!

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Love 5

My peeve about Facebook is the fake, my life is so wonderful, my husband is the best, posts.

Do they not realize most people who would be reading these posts actually know them?

🤷🏼‍♀️🤦‍♀️

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

My peeve about Facebook is the fake, my life is so wonderful, my husband is the best, posts.

Do they not realize most people who would be reading these posts actually know them?

My niece lives out what she calls her "best life" on FB.  It bears little to no resemblance to her real life.  We (close family members) don't out her - in that we don't comment on her obviously exaggerated (or outright false) posts but honestly why make up crap when you have family among your FB friends who know perfectly well that you're LYING?

• Love 5
(edited)

But a lot of people think their husband is the best husband. Maybe the person doesn’t have the best of everything 24/7—but it doesn’t mean that something that makes them happy enough to post about it is fake. I suspect many people are full of crap, but many are not. (And maybe some of the full-of-crappers are just trying to feel positive about their possibly unsatisfying lives in whatever way they can?)

Of course there is going to be a subset of people who engage in “look at me“ posturing and bragging on Facebook (and anywhere online, including here, probably), and some “who says that?” moments—just like there are in workplaces, social circles, email, family events, over the phone, the entire actual world. It’s not like that kind of thing is a rule of having a Facebook account. Or that that’s why everyone has a FB account. It depends who you know, I guess.

And believe me, there are more than enough people who are perfectly fine sharing their “worst life” (and, somehow, it can feel as awkward and cringe-worthy as it would in person)!

Oh, also—Facebook can be a great and free resource for small businesses, especially over the last shit-show of a year (oy, my poor BF took a giant leap of faith to buy a floundering niche store, of which he became the official owner on…January 1, 2020). And it has helped me find homes for 10 shelter cats! 

It’s not that Facebook isn’t full of peeveworthy things (because it is—like anything that involves great numbers of people), but its very existence isn’t, to me, one of those things.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2
(edited)
42 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

On the other hand the people who endlessly complain are worse IMO.  It's exhausting sometimes - to the point where at least two of my relatives are on ignore - because they seem to use FB as a personal diary with entry after entry talking about the latest "woe is my life" issue.  After awhile you realize the last thing they want is advice or offers of help, they just need to vent I guess. 

Edited by WinnieWinkle

Ants. Freaking tiny ants. I can't tell where they're coming from and don't have the energy to clean out everything. They aren't in the sink or near the cat food, they seem to be coming in from an inside wall. GAH! I hate them!!!

• Love 6
14 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Mr. P914 hates it if vinegar is in anything I make (usually salad dressings). Yet, somehow, he can happily use white vinegar to clean his coffee maker. 

Interesting.  Vinegar is used for a million things.  Not only can we consume it, it cures athletes feet.  Who would of thought.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
(edited)

Peeve of this week - When a person replies to a text but does not even respond to what I said and instead starts ranting about something going on in their life. I have a friend who we might go a day or so without texting and the moment I send a text, he will not even acknowledge what I said and just talk about whatever he wants to. He's always been this way to some degree but it has gotten way worse and I just get so irritated lately when he does this. 

ETA: I have had to bring this up to him before and every time he apologizes and says he will get better about it. But it never lasts long.

Edited by MissFeatherbottom
(edited)

I mop our floors with diluted vinegar, mainly because of the cats, whom I can’t keep from walking into the kitchen if that’s where I am (though they do stay away if I’m using the scary, scary steam mop). I don’t want them to get some soapy chemical on their hands and feet and then lick them.

OH! I should add that vinegar can make a cat sick on its own, but if it’s adequately diluted, you should have no problem.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

My niece lives out what she calls her "best life" on FB.  It bears little to no resemblance to her real life.  We (close family members) don't out her - in that we don't comment on her obviously exaggerated (or outright false) posts but honestly why make up crap when you have family among your FB friends who know perfectly well that you're LYING?

My peeve is the people on FB who are always posting those "be kind" memes and who are not kind at all in real life. 

I have a co-worker like that -- her FB is an endless stream of "be kind and true to your heart" memes while at work she has a solid, deserved reputation as the office snitch and gossip. One time she snitched that I said that the store across the street had turned into a Frederick's of Hollywood. Which it had. I got called into the office for a talk about how people "might be offended" hearing that. 

It's like ... take your own advice.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Hangin Out said:

Interesting.  Vinegar is used for a million things.  Not only can we consume it, it cures athletes feet.  Who would of thought.

Along with baking soda, white vinegar can be used to clear out slow drains.  Much better to use than something like Drano.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, ABay said:

Ants. Freaking tiny ants. I can't tell where they're coming from and don't have the energy to clean out everything. They aren't in the sink or near the cat food, they seem to be coming in from an inside wall. GAH! I hate them!!!

I am plagued with ants also.  My daughter came up with the idea of spraying them with Windex.  Kills them instantly and makes it easy to clean up.  I am not a Buddhist.

• Love 4

I sprayed the counter and the floor around the cabinet where I saw them. That was shortly before I posted this morning and I haven't seen any more since then. Fingers crossed they are gone.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, ABay said:

Can I suggest a solution? (I have tiny ants at my house too....). You will need to figure out where they are coming from (follow the train back to wherever they are entering the house) and douse that area with bleach. They are most likely coming in looking for water, but they follow each other based on "markers" laid down by the previous scout ants, so if you break their ability to follow they will lose any impetus to move forward or into any given space. Works for me anyways.

4 hours ago, Cobb Salad said:

Along with baking soda, white vinegar can be used to clear out slow drains.  Much better to use than something like Drano.

Actually that did not work at all for me (tried several times) - googling the problem actually led me to use a bathroom plunger on the kitchen sink drain which worked perfectly!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, isalicat said:

Actually that did not work at all for me (tried several times) - googling the problem actually led me to use a bathroom plunger on the kitchen sink drain which worked perfectly!

Maybe it depends on the makeup of the clog?  My slow drain issues are with the bathroom sink.  

(edited)

May I recommend the Drain Weasel? I tried Draino and vinegar & baking soda but nothing worked well. I picked this up on a whim at Home Depot and OMG, the amount of hair that came out. Be aware that it will smell terrible. I almost barfed. Wear gloves and have a plastic bag ready to go.

http://www.flexisnake.com/

Edited by theredhead77
  • Useful 2
41 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Drain Weasel?

I debated buying one of those but wondered if it can be reused.  Can you clean the gunk off and use it more than once?  I know they aren’t expensive, but I am cheap.

1 hour ago, Mittengirl said:

I debated buying one of those but wondered if it can be reused.  Can you clean the gunk off and use it more than once?  I know they aren’t expensive, but I am cheap.

You might be able to if there isn't much but it's so gross just toss it and use a refill. I think the initial unit comes with a couple. Life's too short to try to pull slimy smelly drain gunk off a disposable brush 

• Useful 1
(edited)

I got something very similar to Drain Weasel from Amazon. There were 2 or 3 in the package. Does work and yes, barf worthy. Toss it and use another...  not that expensive...

Edited by Gramto6
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, isalicat said:

Can I suggest a solution? (I have tiny ants at my house too....). You will need to figure out where they are coming from (follow the train back to wherever they are entering the house) and douse that area with bleach. They are most likely coming in looking for water, but they follow each other based on "markers" laid down by the previous scout ants, so if you break their ability to follow they will lose any impetus to move forward or into any given space. Works for me anyways.

I've started using a bathroom plunger on my showier clogs instead of Drano, etc., & have found it works great. I've found that the old fashioned red rubber ones work a lot better than the the ones with the smaller hole.

• Useful 2

Carpenter bees! Last summer the HOA maintenance crew patched up a bunch of carpenter bee holes after spraying something to kill the eggs and larvae. I guess it didn't work because they are trying to bore out of the patched holes. We need bees, all bees. I don't want them do die, just go elsewhere.

• Love 3
On 6/4/2021 at 7:13 AM, ABay said:

Ants. Freaking tiny ants. I can't tell where they're coming from

I hate those tiny ants that are beamed in from outer space!  I get them occasionally on my kitchen counter or, worse, in Riley's bowl of food.  Regular ants, you just follow the trail to their entry point and thwart them there.  It's annoying to get rid of the ones already inside, but it's a one and done.  These alien ants, though, there is no trail.  Such a pain!

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I hate those tiny ants that are beamed in from outer space!  I get them occasionally on my kitchen counter or, worse, in Riley's bowl of food.  Regular ants, you just follow the trail to their entry point and thwart them there.  It's annoying to get rid of the ones already inside, but it's a one and done.  These alien ants, though, there is no trail.  Such a pain!

This is why I'm glad I live in a condo, and not on a lower floor.  I used to get TONS of them when I lived in a house.  When I was in high school, I didn't realize I had an open package of candy and lo and behold, ANTS STARTED CRAWLING IN MY ROOM!  My parents were mad at me, of course (but I wasn't grounded or anything).  However, we've had issues with birds on our balcony.  I think I've seen a few mating.

13 minutes ago, Bastet said:

If you even see one ant it is probably a scout. They bring back all their little friends. We get them in our hummingbird feeders every summer. My husband has a spray that is not harmful to other animals and It works in one application.

The tiny ants were already here when we bought our house. I battled them for a couple months and then called a pest control service. These ants return when it gets really hot so I have  pest control return (pest control also helps get rid of our silver fish and spider crickets). 

• Love 1
(edited)
10 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

The tiny ants were already here when we bought our house. I battled them for a couple months and then called a pest control service. These ants return when it gets really hot so I have  pest control return (pest control also helps get rid of our silver fish and spider crickets). 

That reminds me to schedule my annual pest control service, so thank you! I had to bring one in a couple of years ago because we had a termite swarm - so gross! 

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 1
On 6/4/2021 at 7:33 PM, meep.meep said:

I am plagued with ants also.  My daughter came up with the idea of spraying them with Windex.  Kills them instantly and makes it easy to clean up.  I am not a Buddhist.

I read ants HATE black pepper.  Never tried it yet tho.  I had ants once from a paper plate with maple syrup on it in the garbage.  My son tracked them from the utility room where there was a water connection coming from outside.  Now, I’m careful.

I guess everyone has some kind of noise from a neighbor?  I hate noise.  Out of the six houses I’ve had thru the years, there was a dog barking constantly, very loud air conditioning unit near my bedroom, loud t.v.s and radios at night, slamming doors, etc, etc.  Next time, if there is a next time,I’ll live in the woods.  My daughter, who is just like me, bought a house far away from the others.  Good move from the beginning.  Live and learn.  Condos are attached, so you are stuck, unfortunately.  We downsized when we moved back to New York from Florida for just a year and a half.  Too hot for me.  I rather have cold.  A condo was it.  The bedroom walls are attached, so I hear the guy next door doing everything.  Screwing his girlfriend.  I’m not jealous, mind you.  I had enough.  Besides, I probably can’t even lift up my legs anymore.  Back issues, hahaha.  Husband doesn’t give a shit either.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
43 minutes ago, Hangin Out said:

I guess everyone has some kind of noise from a neighbor?  I hate noise.  Out of the six houses I’ve had thru the years, there was a dog barking constantly, very loud air conditioning unit near my bedroom, loud t.v.s and radios at night, slamming doors, etc, etc.  Next time, if there is a next time,I’ll live in the woods.  My daughter, who is just like me, bought a house far away from the others.  Good move from the beginning.  Live and learn.  Condos are attached, so you are stuck, unfortunately.  We downsized when we moved back to New York from Florida for just a year and a half.  Too hot for me.  I rather have cold.  A condo was it.  The bedroom walls are attached, so I hear the guy next door doing everything.  Screwing his girlfriend.  I’m not jealous, mind you.  I had enough.  Besides, I probably can’t even lift up my legs anymore.  Back issues, hahaha.  Husband doesn’t give a shit either.

Good GAWD!  I have a 2 1/2 year old going through his terrible twos.  Combine that with his expressively delayed issue, it's tantrums all the time.  I hope other people on my floor are okay with it.  We live in a building with few children, so people aren't necessarily used to this.

15 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Good GAWD!  I have a 2 1/2 year old going through his terrible twos.  Combine that with his expressively delayed issue, it's tantrums all the time.  I hope other people on my floor are okay with it.  We live in a building with few children, so people aren't necessarily used to this.

One of my neighbors around the corner from me has a little one who I think is around 2 or 3 years old - I saw him running back and forth around the common area about two weeks ago.  Last week I was out on one of my walks and I encountered him and his family coming from the opposite direction so when he spotted me he yelled “HI!” several times.   I said hello when we passed then he had to yell “BYE!” several times.  So cute. 😊

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
47 minutes ago, PRgal said:

I guess if nobody complained yet, I think you are safe.  Most here probably had kids, so understand.  Terrible twos can’t help it.  Neither can you.😀

• Love 3
20 hours ago, Bastet said:

Sprinkle black pepper.  They hate black pepper, so I’ve heard.

Little or big black spiders that come from the vents on the ceiling or up the drains.  My son in law told me to buy “sticky strips” at Walmart.  Put on strip against the wall in every room, preferably under a window.  They gravitate to them and don’t come off.  “Eliminator Insect and Spider traps”.  2 in a package Red and black cardboard things.  You’d be surprised how many spiders we have catches that would be walking around the house.

57 minutes ago, Hangin Out said:

I guess if nobody complained yet, I think you are safe.  Most here probably had kids, so understand.  Terrible twos can’t help it.  Neither can you.😀

Most of my friends tell me three is worse.  That's why they're called threenagers/threeagers.  I'm just taking that as a preview for things I should expect around age 10/11.  

27 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Most of my friends tell me three is worse.  That's why they're called threenagers/threeagers.  I'm just taking that as a preview for things I should expect around age 10/11.  

That’s just the beginning.  Friends, parties, clothes, they want to go out and have a smoothie, sleep at someone’s house, etc.  Driving and the list goes on.  Each stage is no joke, but they are worth it.  Two and a half are adorable tho.

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Most of my friends tell me three is worse.  That's why they're called threenagers/threeagers.

I've never heard that term (I associate with an almost entirely child-free pack, but I've long heard of "terrible twos", yet never "threenagers", so figured it was a new addition to the vernacular).  I did a quick internet search and found articles back to 2015.  Huh. 

• Love 1

HOT weather (90s) in Wisconsin with no rain in weeks. I'm out there dragging a hose with sprinkler around every couple of hours to water the new landscaping I put in last fall. Irony is, my sister-in-law in south Texas says they are going stir-crazy trapped indoors from days and days of RAIN down there.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, PRgal said:

My son never had a tantrum in his life...maybe he knew without being told that there was no way screaming and crying was going to get him anywhere with me or his papa. Just a suggestion: try ignoring the meltdown or putting the kid into his/her own room alone when it starts as a firm signal that its not going to result in any feedback of any kind. I do find small children that scream and cry for attention especially annoying as its like one of the dogs that bark and bark and the owner just keeps saying "stop, Fluffy" with no result - duh, that is what the dog wants, is your attention. Don't let your kid train you, train your kid!

• Love 4

My latest pet-peeve is cancel-culture and the “woke” masses online. And I’m all for holding people accountable for their actions, but some of these virtue-signalers are seriously out of control with their vitriol. 

Another humor forum I follow I happened to crack a dumb joke with an accompanying meme((I suppose some folks thought it was vaguely sexist, which wasn’t even my intention))...I thought it’d be harmlessly snicker-worthy and didn’t think it would enrage anyone, but cut to a few days later and I’ve got multiple messages/comments telling me to kill myself, variations of what a horrible person I am, how I deserve to lose everything, I need to be “cancelled,” etc...so now I’m quite literally feeling attacked and am just praying that I haven’t been doxxed for a bad joke and that I’m not going to walk into work with my boss holding a screenshot of this mess.
I even thought about requesting the site’s moderator to have the post removed, but part of me would rather just let the furor there die down and not bring any further attention to myself than necessary since the only one who has my contact details is the moderator. 

It’s just a horrible feeling to think that there are people out there itching to ruin other people’s livelihoods over such misunderstandings. 

9 minutes ago, Sun-Bun said:

My latest pet-peeve is cancel-culture and the “woke” masses online. And I’m all for holding people accountable for their actions, but some of these virtue-signalers are seriously out of control with their vitriol. 

Another humor forum I follow I happened to crack a dumb joke with an accompanying meme((I suppose some folks thought it was vaguely sexist, which wasn’t even my intention))...I thought it’d be harmlessly snicker-worthy and didn’t think it would enrage anyone, but cut to a few days later and I’ve got multiple messages/comments telling me to kill myself, variations of what a horrible person I am, how I deserve to lose everything, I need to be “cancelled,” etc...so now I’m quite literally feeling attacked and am just praying that I haven’t been doxxed for a bad joke and that I’m not going to walk into work with my boss holding a screenshot of this mess.
I even thought about requesting the site’s moderator to have the post removed, but part of me would rather just let the furor there die down and not bring any further attention to myself than necessary since the only one who has my contact details is the moderator. 

It’s just a horrible feeling to think that there are people out there itching to ruin other people’s livelihoods over such misunderstandings. 

I'm so sorry SUN-BUN. *hug*

The whole point of being socially aware of things like sexism and racism is to look out for others and put a stop to hate. It should come from a place of love. Whether it's in the name of wokeness or not, if you jump to be hateful, you're hateful. 

• Love 7

@icemiser69:  I agree.  I’ve been pushed off diversity/equity forums and social media groups just for voicing an opinion that is different from the majority there.  Like language/linguistic challenges not being addressed and how language is very important for inclusion.  I’ve been accused of posting links to articles under paywalls (okay, fair enough), even if I summarize and include a quote.  I’ve been accused of “centring,” (whatever that means.  I think it means being to focused on being anecdotal or being too self-centred?) yadda, yadda...well, I come from a community where many people have a language disadvantage.  That’s one of the reasons they live in segregated communities - you can spend several weeks in some Toronto suburbs not having to speak a single word of English.  And it’s not just lower income, new immigrants.  Older people who came decades ago can do that too.  Including those who are middle income.  Anyway, they only pretend to acknowledge my views.  And then they turn against me.  Very frustrating. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Funny this topic coming up today - I just had a very unpleasant interaction with someone on FB because they posted a lengthy list of unsubstantiated claims about residential schools in Canada.  Which is a huge and extremely horrible ongoing story here right now.  Anyway many of the claims are, sadly, no doubt true.  Some were very obviously ridiculous and anyone with a modicum of common sense would realize that.   However pointing this out, apparently, is denying victims the opportunity to "speak their truth".   Being skeptical of outlandish claims apparently is revictimization.   

So my peeve of the day is: people who post fake news - however well intentioned.  It's still fake even if your heart is in the right place.

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Love 5