Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, emma675 said:

My pet peeve at this minute is my next door neighbors who are having some sort of party in their backyard that involves a bounce house and blaring honky tonk country music so loud I can hear it in every room of my house. I can only hope that since it started around 4:30pm it's not something that will last all night.

I can sympathize with you so much on this.  I know I reported here (and elsewhere) a few times about my neighbors who moved into the house next door about four years ago. She was quiet and stayed in the house with their new baby. He would go outside and sit on the screened back porch or play with their two toddlers in the backyard and crank up the country rock music.  Or, they would have people over and blast the music. It was so loud that my dishes were dancing in the cabinets and I couldn't hear the TV.  When I would complain he would apologize and turn it down but a week or so later it would be the same.  He was very nice about it. Nice, but clueless.  I mean, if it was too loud a week ago, why wouldn't you think it was too loud today?  It had gotten to the point where I dreaded coming home from work because I never knew what was going to happen. Anyway, she booted him out a couple of years ago, and even though I noticed that he's moved back in two or three times, it never lasts and I haven't seen him since Christmas.  And, it's been blessedly quiet. She's very nice and has even had a couple of cookouts.  She proved that you can have what looks like a very successful party without the loud music. I hope that your ordeal didn't last too long.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, Bastet said:

Also, when I warn them my veins "hide" and they'll have a hard time (which, of course, makes my situation worse by prolonging it), they patronize me with "I can find a vein in anyone", and 20 minutes later I'm surrounded by a team of four taking turns trying and failing as I struggle to control my breathing, I would like an acknowledgment that I do, in fact, know my body better than they do.

I have the same problem, and I have never ever had blood drawn that I didn't develop a hematoma afterwards.  And all phlebotomists think they'll be the one not to leave me with a hematoma, but nope.  Always.  I had dental surgery once that required general anesthesia.  They started with nitrous oxide (yay!), then started to try to find a vein for the general.  The poor girl tried two different locations with a somewhat large-is needle before I suggested a smaller bore.  She seemed surprised that I even knew needle sizes, but she switched needles and went to a third location (the back of my hand on the same arm) before finally finding a vein.  Fortunately, the nitrous had kicked in, so I didn't much care at the time. 

And to go along with @emma675's peeve -- the fireworks have started in my neighborhood again.  This past Thursday, someone set off a really loud one.  I guess they were celebrating Earth Day?

• Love 3

Oh my goodness, you know what’s really hard to do when you now work from home? A f’ing clothing purge! You would think that might make it easier, but nope—at least not in my case! So my peeve today is “why the HELL did I start this project?!” Actually, that is a frequent peeve over here.

• Love 6
23 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Oh my goodness, you know what’s really hard to do when you now work from home? A f’ing clothing purge! You would think that might make it easier, but nope—at least not in my case! So my peeve today is “why the HELL did I start this project?!” Actually, that is a frequent peeve over here.

I feel ya there. I typically do a seasonal purge of clothing and shoes I haven't worn in a year. Except this past year was spent at home and I can't bring myself to purge based on that criteria. I did a small purge based on the "ok these clothes are a little to meh for even the at home wardrobe" and tossed a couple shirts with tiny holes in them, some winter fluffy socks that had seen better days and I didn't wear last winter and rotated a few new t-shirts that don't look the greatest for errand running into the at home wardrobe pile.

My current peeve is people who don't break down boxes before putting them in the recycle bin and people who put things that can be recycled, like boxes, into the trash compactor. I may have just gotten back from taking the trash and recycling out.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Right?!  I keep starting then stopping clean out. Since I haven’t worn most of the clothes for over a year, I’m afraid I will get rid of things and then wish I hadn’t. I know I’m going to have to go clothes shopping before I go back into the office, and am dreading the process. Plus, I’m at a new company and have no idea what to expect. I’ve only seen my colleagues on video, wearing t-shirts and hoodies. I doubt it’s that casual in the office, but I wonder if it will be more casual post pandemic than it used to be. 

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 4
15 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

doubt it’s that casual in the office, but I wonder if it will be more casual post pandemic than it used to be. 

I'm sure you're right. At this point even wearing shoes is starting to feel strange. It's hard to picture people willingly going from working in pj's, to putting on tight skirts, bras, heels and three piece suits. 

The other day I was watching a lot of footage of people in about 1900. The clothes were so elaborate and uncomfortable looking and I thought about what they'd think of how comfortably we dress now. But I bet people take comfort to a whole new level post-pandemic. (If only to accommodate the weight gain!) 

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

My current peeve is people who don't break down boxes before putting them in the recycle bin and people who put things that can be recycled, like boxes, into the trash compactor. I may have just gotten back from taking the trash and recycling out.

I’ll echo this and add how annoying it is to open the door to the recycling shed to find someone has left a bag of recycling right inside the door where people need to step to leave their stuff instead of depositing the contents into the bins. Then there are the types who can’t push their unbroken down boxes in further to create space that the rest of us need to get inside.  I don’t know what people are buying that come in these large boxes but this has been happening over and over this past year.  Then there’s the weird non recyclable stuff in the recycling shed like brake rotors and a Barbie Dream House.  Ugh. 

• Love 3

I find I'm very unmotivated to recycle after seeing so many shows about how a lot of the time, our recycling ends up in landfill or moldering in a giant mountain in some third world country. It's discouraging. (Sorry to be Debbie Downer, but this is the Pet Peeve thread after all.) 

• Love 4

Yeah--clearly the "if you haven't worn it in a year" guideline just can't apply here! A lot of my stuff is vintage and it makes me so happy to have it, but even if things eventually go back to normal as far as weekends, it still would take me forever to find opportunities to wear it all now that I work at home. But if I ditch it, it's not like I can just find it again! Trying the following approaches: "group together similar-looking things and keep the favorite" and "if it's hard to pick appropriate shoes (for whatever reason), maybe it goes."

• Love 5
4 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

My rule is each time I purchase an article of clothing, something in my closet has to go.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I've posted earlier about a  Youtube declutterer I've been watching.  She advocates working backwards:  Rather than go through every item and decide whether to keep it, decide "I need X number of short sleeve tops", then pick your X favourite short sleeve tops that fit and are in good condition, then get rid of the rest.  "I need Y number of jeans", and so on.  

• Love 9

I’ve come to terms that I operate on “like” and not “need” — though I have managed in recent years* to remember that “like” is not the same as “like for me”; I’m a jeans-and-T-shirt and vintage/retro person with a bit of goth thrown in, so while I may like something outside of those (say, something from Loft or the Gap), odds are it will sit there unworn. Still, I don’t foresee ever being the girl who has only the necessities, clothing wise. My goal is merely to have a more manageable closet.

*Plus, I haven’t clothing shopped much this year (except for loungy stuff!); a lot of the fun in shopping for vintage is being actually at the stores and flea markets.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

so while I may like something outside of those (say, something from Loft or the Gap), odds are it will sit there unworn.

I feel you so much there. I love the idea of high heels and the concept of wearing a cute sundress and sandals. But in reality, I'd break my neck in heel that is too high or too thin and I hate wearing dresses. I'm very much a "you'll pry my jeans, flannels, hoodies and docs out of my cold dead hands" 90s girl. Sure, I can get dressed up for an occasion but I've come to accept that I need to wear cute flats (my back, feet and neck thank me) and have finally stopped buying heels I'll never, ever wear, even when I have the opportunity.

This may have just given me the motivation to box up the last pair of dressy heels, that were last worn to a wedding and I regret it every minute of the night, and a super cute pair of platform sandals, that were last worn long before I moved to GA.

So while this is the peeve thread, I would like to thank you for that umph.

My other clothing related peeve is going to buy the exact same thing I've had for years, same brand, same size, same style name and it does NOT fit the same.

• Love 5

I've tried to sign up for so many food delivery services, go through all the questions  to fill out the form and when they ask for my info surprise they don't deliver to my  area!! Give me an option at the beginning to see if you serve me!

• Love 7
On 4/24/2021 at 6:18 PM, emma675 said:

My pet peeve at this minute is my next door neighbors who are having some sort of party in their backyard that involves a bounce house and blaring honky tonk country music so loud I can hear it in every room of my house. I can only hope that since it started around 4:30pm it's not something that will last all night.

The family that rented the house next to mine had young children who did nothing but scream at an ear piercing level the entire time they were in their yard. They were a nice family but it's jolting to be sitting in my living room and hearing a scream that sounds like someone is getting murdered for an hour straight. They moved last fall and no one has moved in since so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I have a peaceful summer. 

21 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

My rule is each time I purchase an article of clothing, something in my closet has to go.

This has been my motto as well, it not only keeps me from "over shopping", it also helps me keep my closet under control. 

20 hours ago, Quof said:

I've posted earlier about a  Youtube declutterer I've been watching.  She advocates working backwards:  Rather than go through every item and decide whether to keep it, decide "I need X number of short sleeve tops", then pick your X favourite short sleeve tops that fit and are in good condition, then get rid of the rest.  "I need Y number of jeans", and so on.  

I like this idea even better! 

• Love 3
On 4/24/2021 at 4:05 PM, Mittengirl said:

I have the same problem, except I faint when having blood drawn.  I know that the small amount of blood drawn is not enough to cause a physical reaction, but I still faint, unless I can lie down.  Yet when I mention this, I am always told that I will be fine, they are very good at what they do.  Then shortly after the needle goes in, I faint.  Is it purely a psychological issue? Yes, of course.  But it happens every damn time, so don’t try and tell me it won’t because you have some magical powers.  It has been an issue since I was about 7, so I know what I am talking about.  Just let me lie down, damn it!

I fainted once over 20 yrs ago when someone who was inexperienced doing a blood draw. She dug the needle  in my arm there it was I saw black and I heard someone call out for the smelling salts.😡

My worst injection experience was when an inexperienced (I assume) nurse soaked the injection site with rubbing alcohol (or whatever they use!) then immediately jabbed the needle in without giving it even a second to dry. I felt like my arm was on fire! If it happened now I would say something, but I was young and didn't want to be rude. (!) 

I'm fine with blood being drawn (which is good since I have to do labs regularly), but I've learned I can't watch the needle going in. The poor nurse who was doing my blood draw when I learned this probably had to buy new shoes after I threw up all over her Nikes. I'm sure I'm her "story" now when she's trying to reassure patients, lol.

Edited by emma675d
5 hours ago, BexKeps said:

The family that rented the house next to mine had young children who did nothing but scream at an ear piercing level the entire time they were in their yard. They were a nice family but it's jolting to be sitting in my living room and hearing a scream that sounds like someone is getting murdered for an hour straight. They moved last fall and no one has moved in since so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I have a peaceful summer. 

My neighbor (the one that now lives there without the country-rock-blasting ex), has three kids and they run around in the backyard occasionally yelling, but I've never heard the ear-piercing screams, which is good.  I never had a problem with the kids playing outside and doing some yelling and arguing (even when they were having a birthday party or cookout and there were additional kids around).  And 'yard work' noise is okay (lawnmowers, weed eaters, etc.) as long as it's not at the crack of dawn. It was only the music.  

• Love 2
13 hours ago, BooksRule said:

I never had a problem with the kids playing outside and doing some yelling and arguing (even when they were having a birthday party or cookout and there were additional kids around).  And 'yard work' noise is okay (lawnmowers, weed eaters, etc.) as long as it's not at the crack of dawn. It was only the music. 

Agreed, I actually like the sound of lawn mowers and most tools, it's kinda soothing in a "summer is here" way. I also don't mind children at play with normal yelling voices, arguing, calling for each other etc., but these kids were screamers. I thought the kids themselves were wonderful, the two girls loved to come help me plant flowers and would come sit with me if I was relaxing in my chair. Their brother was a handful, like to grab the hose and spray his sisters instead of the plants but he was fun. The screaming I could have done without though! ;) 

• Love 7
On 4/19/2021 at 11:21 PM, RealHousewife said:

I'm the worst. I LOVE to shop. If I go in, I'll see some new snacks that look yummy. I'll get treats for family and friends. I'll decide I need some bubble gum. I'll spend extra on healthy stuff and tell myself money spent on nutritious food is never a waste. Perhaps I'll get beauty products or toiletries I really don't need and tell myself it's okay because I'm shopping at Walmart or Target and not Sephora. I need to get better!

Today we tried that new store “LidL”.  

• Love 2

My Condo is connected to other condos.  This weekend, I heard bass drums going boom, boom, boom for about 2 hours thru my walls into my living room where I was relaxing all afternoon.  Nothing bothers my husband, only me.  If it continues, do I have the right to find the condo and tell them to lower whatever they are playing?  It might be a kid home from college for the whole summer.  I hate noise and sleep with a sound machine as loud as it goes.

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, Silver Bells said:

My Condo is connected to other condos.  This weekend, I heard bass drums going boom, boom, boom for about 2 hours thru my walls into my living room where I was relaxing all afternoon.  Nothing bothers my husband, only me.  If it continues, do I have the right to find the condo and tell them to lower whatever they are playing?  It might be a kid home from college for the whole summer.  I hate noise and sleep with a sound machine as loud as it goes.

It might be worth a try and they may turn it down, then later turn it up again.  I don’t like that kind of noise either and have had to deal with a noisy upstairs neighbor in the past who I was able to get to be more quiet late at night.  During the day is a different story.  

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Cobb Salad said:

It might be worth a try and they may turn it down, then later turn it up again.  I don’t like that kind of noise either and have had to deal with a noisy upstairs neighbor in the past who I was able to get to be more quiet late at night.  During the day is a different story.  

Yeah, my Mother used to say that people can do what they want until 10 p.m.  I’m screwed.  The guy next door to us has a dog that barked everyday at 7:10 am for forty minutes when the guy went to work.  His bedroom wall is our bedroom wall.  My husband rang his bell and told him to put the dog in another room in the morning, and he did.  We are retired and don’t have to get up at 7:10.

• Love 3

Why do people repeatedly not understand that “but we neeeeeeeed it!” does not mysteriously make me able to do something faster, but just as thoroughly, as I would with a reasonable deadline? Maybe I’m being an asshole; surely one can verify 100 medical journal annotations — and do whatever other urgent jobs show up — in less than one workday.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Silver Bells said:

Call the condo association president or someone on the board. I was once on the board and no loud music after 9 p.m. Otherwise they were fined.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, rcc said:

Call the condo association president or someone on the board. I was once on the board and no loud music after 9 p.m. Otherwise they were fined.

Yes, thanks.  In my next life, I will buy a house in the woods, away from everyone.  It will probably be a pathway for jet planes to come in to the airport, lol.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, Silver Bells said:

Yes, thanks.  In my next life, I will buy a house in the woods, away from everyone.  It will probably be a pathway for jet planes to come in to the airport, lol.

I now have a small house not necessarily in the woods. Living next to inconsiderate neighbors in a condo complex is no fun. 

Edited by rcc
  • Love 4
36 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Why do people repeatedly not understand that “but we neeeeeeeed it!” does not mysteriously make me able to do something faster, but just as thoroughly, as I would with a reasonable deadline? Maybe I’m being an asshole; surely one can verify 100 medical journal annotations — and do whatever other urgent jobs show up — in less than one workday.

My DH used to have a sign up in his auto repair that read "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine." He also had one that said  

Rates:

$80.00 per hour

$100.00 if you want to watch

$175.00  if you want to help

• LOL 13
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

If it happens again, it may be worth seeing if you can figure out where it's coming from and nicely letting them know that you can hear their stuff. Lie if you have to, you have a sleeping baby, you're studying, whatever. Sounds like bass travel even when it's not loud and they may have no idea you can hear it.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

My DH used to have a sign up in his auto repair that read "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine." He also had one that said  

Rates:

$80.00 per hour

The problem is that they take time from the last step of the process (editorial) to give to other teams. Which, OK, shit happens. But then they think I should have to just accept it...which I will when they accept half-assed fact checking. Another problem is that they seem to think fact checks are easy. They’re not, especially at hour 9 of a supposed 8-hour day.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Pettest peeve of all.  Were I willing to replace my visual entertainment devices on an hourly basis, I would have unloaded many rounds of ammunition on same.

allstate.jpg

Screenshot (601).png

I hate this commercial.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Rates:

$80.00 per hour

I’ve seen one which also included a rate,  “if you tried to fix it yourself first”, or something like that. 😁

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

Can you bring this up to management or the board?

My current pet peeve is home delivery food/meal services. Most of them have an option at the very beginning to put in your zip code to see if they serve your area...I'm in the boonies in MT and most don't.

What annoys me most is the ones that make you go through the whole sign in answer questions/pick food and after all that you put in your address...and they don't serve my area. Latest one  I was really hopeful for was Hungry Root. Food was right up my alley but as soon as I put in my address, no service in my area. Another waste of time... 

Edited by Gramto6
tuypo
  • Love 6
27 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

My current pet peeve is home delivery food/meal services. Most of them have an option at the very beginning to put in your zip code to see if they serve your area...I'm in the boonies in MT and most don't.

What annoys me most is the ones that make you go through the whole sign in answer questions/pick food and after all that you put in your address...and they don't serve my area. Latest one  I was really hopeful for was Hungry Root. Food was right up my alley but as soon as I put in my address, no service in my area. Another waste of time... 

Word.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I see you and raise you. In general I hate that so many on-line apps or websites require you to create an account just to look at something once. So they can obtain your contact information. 

• Love 7
1 minute ago, GussieK said:

I see you and raise you. In general I hate that so many on-line apps or websites require you to create an account just to look at something once. So they can obtain your contact information. 

I have an email account that is used only for this kind of thing.  

• Love 6
14 minutes ago, Callietwo said:

Explain this please.  I see people say this occasionally, but I don't see the difference.  Don't you still have to perform housekeeping on that email acct. as well?  Still have to delete/unsubscribe/etc., right?  What am I missing?

The point is that the Marketing Dept. holds us hostage in order to become a potential customer, which does not breed goodwill, nor does it compel me to want to be a customer.

Circular logic.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Callietwo said:

Same here.  What I really like is that the email account I use for important things - like job applications and family business - doesn't get cluttered up with spam or other junk mail anymore.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Explain this please.  I see people say this occasionally, but I don't see the difference.  Don't you still have to perform housekeeping on that email acct. as well?  Still have to delete/unsubscribe/etc., right?  What am I missing?

The point is that the Marketing Dept. holds us hostage in order to become a potential customer, which does not breed goodwill, nor does it compel me to want to be a customer.

You're not wrong that this practice does not breed goodwill, but it's so common as to be unavoidable. A dedicated "this is where crap goes" email doesn't require maintenance. I never check mine unless I need to go in to activate some new thing I signed up for. Otherwise it can just sit there because I know that nothing that goes in there is something I actually need to see. It's just a mechanism to get into sites that won't let me look at them otherwise.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
5 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I can set up a free e-mail account something like "moose@mail.com" with a web-based interface, and use it for random stuff that requires you to register, but for which I don't want to give out my "real" e-mail address. They can send all the crap they want to that address, and it won't matter to me. If they require me to reply to an e-mail when I first register, I can, but otherwise stuff can just sit there forever. If I'm feeling productive, I'll go in, select all the messages and delete them.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Today's peeve - well an ongoing peeve: contractors who quote you a price, that you agree to and then never show up.  Since we bought our house this has now happened 3 times.  I don't know if they decide they underbid and don't have the guts to come back to us and tell us this - and at least give us a chance to agree to a higher price - or if they are too busy and our job falls through the cracks or if this is what contractors are like in a small town (never had this issue in the Big City).  Whatever the reason I am beyond fed up now.  

• Love 6