Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, BooksRule said:

The stuff in the orange and black wrappers is a peanut butter candy.  Very chewy.  They're okay if you are craving sweets and that's all there is, but I don't buy them on purpose

In my world, those are molasses flavoured, and I don't know any child who likes them.  

Give me peanut butter cups, all day long.  And Tootsie rolls, as long as they are soft and fresh.  And red Twizzlers. 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Candy corn,  circus peanuts, those wax bottle thingies, and the wrapped in black and orange thingies are a no go for me. Don't so much mind raisins, good & plenty, necco or smarties, in that downward order. Not that I eat that much candy at all...

While I liked candy corn, I agree that those wax bottle thingies and the wrapped in black and orange thingies were always a no go for me as a kid. The latter because this was associated with this odd neighbor who no one ever seemed to see- except when he'd open his door to give those out on Halloween! 

• Love 2

@auntlada, they are the very same! I've tried the squeeze till it pops approach but you could take someone's eye out like that.

Adding to the Smarties love. American Smarties, like in the picture, not those freaky things in England.

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, Blergh said:

the wrapped in black and orange thingies were always a no go for me as a kid. The latter because this was associated with this odd neighbor who no one ever seemed to see- except when he'd open his door to give those out on Halloween! 

That person lived in every single neighborhood across America. They may still live there but I don't have kids so I wouldn't know if that orange and black wrapped nonsense is still being passed out.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

To each one's own but Necco wafers are so awful IMO, they make St. Joseph's Chewable Aspirin taste like fresh oranges!  Still, I guess they have their fans. 

Edited by Blergh
toning things down a bit
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Harvest Mix season is my favorite season! But only Brach's. The rest can die a waxy faux candy corn impersonation death.

Circus peanuts taste like packing foam looks and black licorice is the worst.

ca8844958c7127a47b87faeef32c265b.jpg

If you're putting two of my childhood memories, Necco wafers and Smarties on your list, well then we can't be friends.

• LOL 3

This reminded me that my neighborhood/childhood (1970s–1980s) best friend's parents were SUPER religious and they gave out faux-Chick tracts (not even exciting enough to be Chick tracts), pencils and pennies at Halloween. WHAT A HUGE BUMMER! Their next-door neighbor was an ancient man who gave out apples. Why did we go to their houses every year?

My best friend's dad wore a ballcap emblazoned with "Jesus is awesome!"

Edited by bilgistic
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, Cobb Salad said:

Love peanut butter cups, especially after they’ve been in the freezer.  KitKats and Mounds are favorites too.  
Not a fan of Neccos or Good & Plenty.  

I just made a batch of home made chocolate peanut butter cups the other day. They're pretty easy to make but candy making is always a bit of a mess.

• Love 5

Are those full size single cups or some mini nonsense where the PB and chocolate ratio is all jacked up? 

Related peeve: jacked up PB to chocolate ratio in Reese's not-cups. They've been around for nearly 40 years. Plenty of time to figure that shit out.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Are those full size single cups or some mini nonsense where the PB and chocolate ratio is all jacked up? 

In order to answer that question, I would have to drive to the store and buy 15 of them.  Are you suggesting I need to take one for the team? 

• LOL 15
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Quof said:

In order to answer that question, I would have to drive to the store and buy 15 of them.  Are you suggesting I need to take one for the team? 

Sometimes sacrifices have to be made...

• LOL 10
3 hours ago, bilgistic said:

This reminded me that my neighborhood/childhood (1970s–1980s) best friend's parents were SUPER religious and they gave out faux-Chick tracts (not even exciting enough to be Chick tracts), pencils and pennies at Halloween. WHAT A HUGE BUMMER! Their next-door neighbor was an ancient man who gave out apples. Why did we go to their houses every year?

My best friend's dad wore a ballcap emblazoned with "Jesus is awesome!"

LOL, I had to lok up what "chick tracts" were! One year taking my kids trick or treating in our new neighborhood one of the neighborts handed out those little cartoon pamphlets the Jehovah's give out with the plane crashing and how Pam was the only one to go to heaven because she was a JW. My kids were horrified. We never went back to that house in the following years. 

Favorite Halloween candy: twizzlers, almond joy, anything dark chocolate!

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, BexKeps said:

LOL, I had to lok up what "chick tracts" were! One year taking my kids trick or treating in our new neighborhood one of the neighborts handed out those little cartoon pamphlets the Jehovah's give out with the plane crashing and how Pam was the only one to go to heaven because she was a JW. My kids were horrified. We never went back to that house in the following years. 

Favorite Halloween candy: twizzlers, almond joy, anything dark chocolate!

I can do you one better. My church youth group used to have "lock-ins" at the YMCA and the pastors made us watch this horrifying movie in which this guy woke up one morning to find everyone else gone because the "rapture" had occurred, but being "unsaved", he'd not been taken to "heaven" by "God". I remember there being images of people burning in a "hell". It was nightmare-inducing.

@bilgistic this same family had a son in the boy scouts and they would bring him around for the annual popcorn and wrapping paper fund drive. We bought some (I love the wrapping paper) with no problems. One year the boy and his sister come to the door, pulling a wagon with popcorn and other stuff from the fund drive and asked if I would like to buy some. I though, hmm, usually you order it but maybe they changed it, so I purchased a box of 10 microwave popcorn bags, give them cash and sent them on their way. A few weeks later we make some of the popcorn, its stale as hell, like chewing paper, really bad. I pull the box and look at the freshness/sell by date, it was from 3 years before!!!!!!!!!!! They never came around after that but all I could think is that the parents wanted to unload some of the leftover stuff and sent the kids out with it. Kinda hypocritical.... 

Edited by BexKeps
  • Love 2

Please do send all your candy corn to me....its one of my fav Halloween treats and I had a ritual in childhood of eating the white part, then the yellow part and then the orange part, and it had to be in *that* particular order. Otherwise I agree on the Necco wafers (like a compressed dust bunny) and especially raisins, which are ruined grapes. Actually I don't eat candy more than once a year at most anymore but a square or two of dark Belgian chocolate (unlikely to be handed out at Halloween!) does temporarily solve many problems.

Associated pet peeve: No trick or treating here this year, apparently, which as far as I am concerned is entirely unwarranted. Most Halloween costumes can and should involve wearing masks and the people giving out candy can certainly figure out a way to leave it outside or place it outside and back into their homes while it is being taken so therefore social distancing...Why don't we just lock all children inside for the foreseeable future and see how that goes?

• Love 4
4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I just made a batch of home made chocolate peanut butter cups the other day. They're pretty easy to make but candy making is always a bit of a mess.

I don't remember the exact mix, but a friend turned me onto a homemade Thin Mints recipe using Ritz crackers.  Seems like it was 1.5# of chocolate melted, add a few drops (this is pretty important but can't remember - thinking 4 or 5 drops) of peppermint extract.  Dip/coat the crackers and lay out on waxed paper to set up.  They tasted exactly like Thin Mints (the old school good ones), maybe even better.

• Useful 1

Maybe it's one of those weird genetic things -- like how some people can't smell asparagus pee or how cilantro tastes soapy to some people! Or maybe I also don't like the smell of whatever the vomit baby ate!

Email peeves: I temporarily need a Yahoo email account and its whole style/interface/whatever is so annoying. Apparently, unless I pay $4 per month, I have to deal with an in-box full of ads. So that's 1 peeve. Peeve 2 is my real email, Optimum (and that whole company is the fucking devil), which is the reason I had to get a second email. Because Optimum has some stupid setup that doesn't allow certain files to be received, I need another email just until after I need these files. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

a homemade Thin Mints recipe using Ritz crackers

I had a co-worker who made peanut butter patties with Ritz crackers!  She made a sandwich with the crackers and peanut butter, then dipped it in chocolate and let set on wax paper.  They were the first treats gone whenever she brought them!

As a kid I loved candy corn!  Some were white bottomed, some were black bottomed.  I was told I inherited the love of candy corn from my Grandpa!  Also, drinking buttermilk straight!

My favorite candy that barely changed since childhood is Toffifay!  Whenever I see it in Walgreens, it's all I can do to keep from losing my sanity!  It still tastes great to me all these years later!

I can barely tolerate modern candies because of the horrible chemicals used in them these days.  On those rare occasions I decide to have some, I go for the organic stuff.  

1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

Ugh, ordinary Hershey bars. That chocolate tastes like the smell of baby vomit.

Because it does.  Rather, a chemical that is found in vomit.

• Love 2

Weird that I can detect the vomit smell* but not the seemingly more pervasive and ubiquitous asparagus pee! 

(*And the neighbors smoking weed and a can of Red Bull from 3 rooms away and the tiniest piece of onion to sneak into food...)

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2
31 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Weird that I can detect the vomit smell* but not the seemingly more pervasive and ubiquitous asparagus pee! 

(*And the neighbors smoking weed and a can of Red Bull from 3 rooms away and the tiniest piece of onion to sneak into food...)

What about cilantro? Does the devil's weed bother you?

Yes! It tastes sharp and shrill and makes me feel like someone is pinching my skin with just their fingernails. I don't hate it as much as I hate onions though, and if I know in advance that there may be cilantro in some food, I can probably deal with it.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Yes! It tastes sharp and shrill and makes me feel like someone is pinching my skin with just their fingernails. I don't hate it as much as I hate onions though, and if I know in advance that there may be cilantro in some food, I can probably deal with it.

Congratulations! You may be a supertaster. :

Cilantro, famously, is a turn off for supertasters. They taste the bitterness in it that others do not. Supertasters are very averse to any kind of bitter tastes. They tend not to like grapefruit juice, black coffee, onions, alcohol and spinach.Oct 23, 2010

BTW, I love your description:  sharp and shrill. I'm stealing it!

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, magicdog said:

I had a co-worker who made peanut butter patties with Ritz crackers!  She made a sandwich with the crackers and peanut butter, then dipped it in chocolate and let set on wax paper.  They were the first treats gone whenever she brought them!

I make these! The trick is to use chocolate almond bark instead of just plain chocolate. 

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Cilantro, famously, is a turn off for supertasters. They taste the bitterness in it that others do not. Supertasters are very averse to any kind of bitter tastes. They tend not to like grapefruit juice, black coffee, onions, alcohol and spinach.

I am definitely not a supertaster, then.  I don't like grapefruit juice and hate coffee, but I like onions and cilantro and wouldn't want to contemplate a world without alcohol and spinach.

• Love 7

Cilantro and arugula taste like a mouthful of car exhaust to me.

Re: trick or treating

5 hours ago, isalicat said:

.Associated pet peeve: No trick or treating here this year, apparently, which as far as I am concerned is entirely unwarranted. Most Halloween costumes can and should involve wearing masks and the people giving out candy can certainly figure out a way to leave it outside or place it outside and back into their homes while it is being taken so therefore social distancing...Why don't we just lock all children inside for the foreseeable future and see how that goes?

On the local news they ran a story about people making chutes out of big cardboard tubes to send the candy out. You can open a window, put the candy in, and the kid can catch it in their bag.

Although...I'm OK with locking kids up for the foreseeable future or at least until they learn manners and inside voices.

Edited by ABay
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

Cilantro, famously, is a turn off for supertasters. They taste the bitterness in it that others do not. Supertasters are very averse to any kind of bitter tastes. They tend not to like grapefruit juice, black coffee, onions, alcohol and spinach.Oct 23, 2010

Oh, then I may not be one after all! I drink a lot of black coffee (and it's usually Bustelo, so there's a bit of bitterness there) and I like unsweetened grapefruit juice with vodka, but gin & tonic is probably my favorite booze drink. Oh, and I prefer dark chocolate -- the less sweet, the better.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2

I used to live in a neighborhood with a TON of kids - I'd get 10-12 bags of candy and hand out most of it.  I always had M&Ms, Skittles, and Smarties.  The latter were good for really little kids, because small risk of of choking since they would dissolve.  When I was a kid, there was one house in town where they gave out full-size candy bars - score!  But then there was the house where they gave out dimes, but only if you could tell them something you learned in school that year.  Some people just had to ruin kids' fun.  

Peeve - when companies change their packaging to a different size or color, and you can't find something on the store shelf because you've bought the blue package for the past 3 decades, only to finally discover that it's now in a yellow package.  WHY??

• Love 3
12 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Congratulations! You may be a supertaster. :

BTW, I love your description:  sharp and shrill. I'm stealing it!

I eat cilantro but only mixed in my burrito bowl with hot salsa so maybe I drowned out the taste

I generally hate the other things though except spinach.  Spinach to me has little taste. Just kind of there.  Same with mushrooms.   I don't like or dislike them  they just don't add much to anything  Alcohol I can take or leave, but I hate dark beers. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 1

Going back to the candy discussion.

The word "chocolatey" sounds like a word that was invented because someone couldn't come up with a good enough word to explain chocolate. But its a lie.  It means that someone came up with a perfectly good idea, like selling rice krispy treats dipped in chocolate and then ruined it by using some gross tasting chocolate appearing not chocolate tasting like substance.

So if you see the word "chocolatey" on packaging. Beware and follow your grammatical instincts that if they couldn't invent a better word they didn't invent a better product.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 6

People Magazine. I just want to read some fluffy news about celebrities while waiting in line at the supermarket not about some horrible tragic thing that happened to someone non-famous in another state I was perfectly fine not knowing about!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ParadoxLost said:

The word "chocolatey" sounds like a word that was invented because someone couldn't come up with a good enough word to explain chocolate. But its a lie

Yeah, it's like "cheese food."  That means it's not really cheese, people.

• Love 3

I had a ritual in childhood of eating the white part, then the yellow part and then the orange part, and it had to be in *that* particular order.

I rarely eat candy corn anymore (although I have a 'harvest Chex mix' recipe that calls for CC and it's delish), but when I do eat them I also have to eat them the same way--white, yellow, then orange.  I have a few food rituals, and that's one of them.

Peeve:  Thrift stores that are actually junky junk shops with a little brand-new junk thrown in.  I pass by a thrift shop a lot and had never gone in to look, which is unusual for me, since I love to poke around in thrift shops and antique malls.  I guess my instincts were right, because this one was just a lot of tacky faded-looking junky toys and such (and not even anything that could be called 'vintage' or 'collectible'--no matter what type of sign they put on it) and some displays of new cheap tools, boxed plastic toys, and Halloween junk.  Maybe I'm being too hard on the shop, but even in thrift stores with really tacky stuff, I can usually find several items that interest me.  Nothing here.  I always hate it when thrift stores -- and especially stores that call themselves 'antique malls'-- have a lot of new stuff for sale.  Those items just get in the way of possible interesting older or vintage items.  My mom used to complain about going to flea markets and finding few 'fleas' but a lot of new cheaply-made-overseas stuff that she called 'flip flop junk' (since there were always a lot of flip flop shoes, tube socks, etc.). 

Edited by BooksRule
  • Love 7

With you on this! I can understand this for town-wide garage sales or flea markets where anyone can be a vendor; they're regular people hauling out their stuff anyway, so why not include anything and everything you no longer want. But actual stores should maybe be a bit more discerning -- especially if they dare use the word "vintage," damn it! And that goes for Ebay and Etsy sellers too; don't you dare try to tell me something is vintage when it is obviously retro!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, BooksRule said:

I rarely eat candy corn anymore (although I have a 'harvest Chex mix' recipe that calls for CC and it's delish), but when I do eat them I also have to eat them the same way--white, yellow, then orange.  I have a few food rituals, and that's one of them.

Peeve:  Thrift stores that are actually junky junk shops with a little brand-new junk thrown in.  I pass by a thrift shop a lot and had never gone in to look, which is unusual for me, since I love to poke around in thrift shops and antique malls.  I guess my instincts were right, because this one was just a lot of tacky faded-looking junky toys and such (and not even anything that could be called 'vintage' or 'collectible'--no matter what type of sign they put on it) and some displays of new cheap tools, boxed plastic toys, and Halloween junk.  Maybe I'm being too hard on the shop, but even in thrift stores with really tacky stuff, I can usually find several items that interest me.  Nothing here.  I always hate it when thrift stores -- and especially stores that call themselves 'antique malls'-- have a lot of new stuff for sale.  Those items just get in the way of possible interesting older or vintage items.  My mom used to complain about going to flea markets and finding few 'fleas' but a lot of new cheaply-made-overseas stuff that she called 'flip flop junk' (since there were always a lot of flip flop shoes, tube socks, etc.). 

I love really good thrift shops. I got my son a like new Ralph Lauren blazer for twelve dollars. And I found a mint-in-box Nancy Drew board game from the forties. Score!

• Love 13
On 10/17/2020 at 12:46 PM, peacheslatour said:

I love really good thrift shops. I got my son a like new Ralph Lauren blazer for twelve dollars. And I found a mint-in-box Nancy Drew board game from the forties. Score!

Score! I love the idea of thrifting for so many reasons. Great for the planet, great for my wallet, and I enjoy a treasure hunt. I have friends who dress beautifully and most of their wardrobes come from thrift shops. My pet peeve is I haven't had a ton of luck thrifting. I do find beautiful things in good condition when I really look, but they're rarely in my size. One of the women I know who dresses really nicely thrifting somehow manages to find stuff, and we're the same size (tall and thin). Go figure!

• Love 3

I would love to shop more at thrift and antique shops but I have no idea how to find good ones. I always seem to find the junky ones with either stuff that's just crap or not vintage at all (I was in one once that seemed to think Lee jeans from the 80s were vintage).

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

he helium-mouse voice of the woman in the commercials, oh my god

I get such a visceral reaction from high pitched baby voices or people who talk normal but end every comment on a high pitched note.  I went to the doctor's office for a checkup the other day and the usual tech was out, and the girl taking my blood pressure/weight ended every question on a high pitched vocal fry. It was so irritating that she had to retake my blood pressure 3 times before it went down to my normal range. It would be one thing if it was natural and the person couldn't help it, but it was clearly a fake-baby voice used in an attempt to be friendly/polite. I just cannot.

I am also sick of the random pregnancy weight gain comments from family and co-workers. "Oh, man you are just blowing up!", "You are so much bigger than last week!", "You look like you're about to explode!"  Seriously, just be quiet. I am 8 1/2 months along and the baby is gaining almost a pound a week at this point. I was small up until month 7.  I am already dealing with enough panic and stress worrying about labor, and adjusting to life as a first-time single mom. I don't need the unnecessary and ignorant fat shaming comments (and most of it isn't fat---it's a whole mini-human in there!).

Oh and speaking of doctors--I am so looking forward to the end of the nonstop doctor's appointments. I am so sick of being poked and prodded, measured and tested on. I get that its necessary and I am glad the baby is being well-monitored but I just am so over it. Pretty soon it will be his turn for all that, poor guy. Hopefully he won't take after me and will be more patient with doctors than I am. 🙂

• Love 10
15 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

I get such a visceral reaction from high pitched baby voices or people who talk normal but end every comment on a high pitched note.  I went to the doctor's office for a checkup the other day and the usual tech was out, and the girl taking my blood pressure/weight ended every question on a high pitched vocal fry. It was so irritating that she had to retake my blood pressure 3 times before it went down to my normal range. It would be one thing if it was natural and the person couldn't help it, but it was clearly a fake-baby voice used in an attempt to be friendly/polite. I just cannot.

🙂

I cannot stand that either, even when it comes to adults talking to young children/babies.  If it's way higher than your normal voice, then NO NO NO NO NO.  You can slightly elevate, but just DON'T GO OVERBOARD.  I also can't stand soft, baby voices coming from women.  It makes them sound less confident.  Unfortunately, it's fairly common amongst women under, say, 45-50 in the East Asian/Cantonese community around here - even those raised HERE.  I hear it A LOT on TV (when I'm watching TV shows from Hong Kong) and back in the 90s and early 2000s when I was in high school and university.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, PRgal said:

I cannot stand that either, even when it comes to adults talking to young children/babies.  If it's way higher than your normal voice, then NO NO NO NO NO.  You can slightly elevate, but just DON'T GO OVERBOARD.  I also can't stand soft, baby voices coming from women.  It makes them sound less confident.  Unfortunately, it's fairly common amongst women under, say, 45-50 in the East Asian/Cantonese community around here - even those raised HERE.  I hear it A LOT on TV (when I'm watching TV shows from Hong Kong) and back in the 90s and early 2000s when I was in high school and university.

What drives me crazy is women who feel the need to giggle at the end of every sentence. You see it a lot in commercials. "I really like this laundry detergent tee hee." WTF?

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
22 hours ago, emma675 said:

I would love to shop more at thrift and antique shops but I have no idea how to find good ones. I always seem to find the junky ones with either stuff that's just crap or not vintage at all (I was in one once that seemed to think Lee jeans from the 80s were vintage).

Consignment and vintage shops have better selection than places like Goodwill and Salvation Army. I also love that they have stuff separated by size. Have you tried shopping those kinds of stores? I still don't have the luck other women do shopping secondhand stores, but I see way more things I like. A lot of the time they just don't flatter me. 

Sorry for getting a little O/T!

My pet peeve right now is I'm a fashionista, and even when I get all dressed up, I have nowhere of importance to go. 😞 I'm not super social, but there are usually events this time of year to shop for-Halloween costumes sometimes, holiday parties, etc. I almost want to fast forward to 2021 holidays! lol

• Love 4