Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

Here's an interesting piece on the way Italian Americans in NJ who don't really speak Italian anymore retain antique regional pronuncations:

I'm Italian-American from Long Island.  My grandparents came from southern Italy and settled in NYC, and to this day, we all pronounce most of those words like that, or some slight variation.

• Love 6

Here's one- folks who put food and/or utensils directly on a table surface without either a plate or napkin!   I have no idea how clean a table surface is or what may have been spilled on it so why would I want to consume something that had TOUCHED it! What do you think I am- a dog? 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Here's one- folks who put food and/or utensils directly on a table surface without either a plate or napkin!   I have no idea how clean a table surface is or what may have been spilled on it so why would I want to consume something that had TOUCHED it! What do you think I am- a dog? 

Newsflash - someone has touched your food and utensils - probably someone with less personal hygiene than a dog.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
10 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

Newsflash - someone has touched your food and utensils - probably someone with less personal hygiene than a dog.

Possibly- but I don't have to SEE it. Hence, I can give them far more doubts' benefits than I could a table surface! 

• LOL 2

Restaurant tablecloths and placemats can also be dirty/germy.

My sister always asks for a straw in restaurants because she's convinced that the rims of drinking glasses are cesspools. Even though the glass has likely been through the sterilizer? And somehow not the insides of the glass, the plate that the server held, or the sandwich itself?

Personally, I live on the edge. No straws, wear my shoes in the house, don't swab the place with sanitizing wipes, eat food past its expiration date, and let the cat on bed, dirty butt and all. Woot!

• LOL 2
  • Love 12
(edited)
12 minutes ago, palmaire said:

Personally, I live on the edge. No straws, wear my shoes in the house, don't swab the place with sanitizing wipes, eat food past its expiration date, and let the cat on bed, dirty butt and all. Woot!

Can I sit at your *dirty* table too? My fiance refuses to eat anything past its 'best by' date, even though I have explained it has nothing to do with food safety, its about the best possible taste. Me? I don't care, I've eaten almost everything past a sell by or best by date, if it passes the sniff test I'm good. It cracks me up when people look at the dates on BOTTLED WATER and refuse to drink it, seriously???  

And my cats are allowed on the bed, the table, the counter, wherever they want, again, I've been a cat owner for 50 years and have never, ever caught a disease or gotten ill because of them. Now ask me if I"ve ever gotten anything from my sick coworkers who refuse to stay home when they're running a fever or coughing up a lung. I have a coworker who is always sick, she uses hand sanitizer, lysol wipes and won't touch anything even close to 'expired' yet she is sick at least once a month. Go figure.

Edited by GoodieGirl
spelling counts
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
(edited)
1 hour ago, GoodieGirl said:

And my cats are allowed on the bed, the table, the counter, wherever they want, again, I've been a cat owner for 50 years and have never, ever caught a disease or gotten ill because of them.

I am a bit of a germ freak (maybe more than a bit) but as far as cats on the counter go, I'm super-chill. One condo is their whole entire world, 24/7 (it's almost kind of more their place than it is mine in that regard). So, if it means that much to them to hop on the counter now and then, I think we can simply take a minute to wipe them before we use them. And the benefits of having them sleep near me outweigh the supposed risks. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 10
56 minutes ago, palmaire said:

I don't wear shoes in the house just because I am barefoot whenever possible, but, yes - bring on the germs. 

And do not get me started on the food waste caused by people abiding by those ridiculous "expiration" dates.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Bastet said:

I don't wear shoes in the house just because I am barefoot whenever possible, but, yes - bring on the germs. 

And do not get me started on the food waste caused by people abiding by those ridiculous "expiration" dates.

I don't wear shoes in the house because (a) it keeps the dirt/dog crap outside and (b) it's way more comfortable.

Latest pet peeve.  Delusional egotists who post crappy photos of their crappy food on recipe threads, thus removing my desire to try the recipe.  This,  for example, looks to me like a giant turd on a pool of vomit.

image.png.3d18b3040d30876c97dfa65a5fedbd56.png

• LOL 10
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Brookside said:

This, for example, looks to me like a giant turd on a pool of vomit.

Oh, my. After just explaining how okay I am with germs, I would not eat that.

The ... meat? looks uncooked and the ... sauce? looks broken already. The tomatoes may have fallen off the counter onto the plate.

Tell us what is this horror?

Edited by palmaire
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
12 minutes ago, palmaire said:

Oh, my. After just explaining how okay I am with germs, I would not eat that.

The ... meat? looks uncooked and the ... sauce? looks broken already. The tomatoes may have fallen off the counter onto the plate.

Tell us what is this horror?

Bacon-wrapped chicken breast, apparently.  The description of how to make it is equally unappetizing.

Inexplicably, it got 10 "likes".

I just saw that the cookbook has a recipe for Sh*t on Toast.  I kid you not.  (It's by Chrissy Teigen.)

Edited by Brookside
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
44 minutes ago, Brookside said:

I just saw that the cookbook has a recipe for Sh*t on Toast. 

Shit on a shingle, I assume.  I want no part of it whatever it's called, but I at least appreciate the alliteration in the traditional name.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, Brookside said:

I don't wear shoes in the house because (a) it keeps the dirt/dog crap outside and (b) it's way more comfortable.

Latest pet peeve.  Delusional egotists who post crappy photos of their crappy food on recipe threads, thus removing my desire to try the recipe.  This,  for example, looks to me like a giant turd on a pool of vomit.

I occasionally toy with the idea of going completely vegetarian. If I ever decide to get serious about it, I'll print out this photo and tape it to the refrigerator door. It looks like something a wanna-be Hannibal Lecter would eat. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
(edited)
5 hours ago, Brookside said:

For all the selling points of veganism I've heard over the years, this picture by far is the strongest argument. I think I will send the photo to my vegan friend to use during his Anonymous for the Voiceless vegan convert meetings.

My peeve is probably an UO but I am hating the trend of going from plastic straws to paper. I get that plastic is bad for the environment but paper straws are so fucking shitty. My Starbucks just switched over to paper and not only did I gag from the paper taste, but the straw broke halfway through my drink!  I guess I am going to have to purchase metal straws and carry my own with me where ever I go now, as paper straws are here to stay in my area.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
6 minutes ago, AgentRXS said:

For all the selling points of veganism I've heard over the years, this picture by far is the strongest argument. I think I will send the photo to my vegan friend to use during his Anonymous for the Voiceless vegan convert meetings.

My peeve is probably an UO but I am hating the trend of going from plastic straws to paper. I get that plastic is bad for the environment but paper straws are so fucking shitty. My Starbucks just switched over to paper and not only did I gag from the paper taste, but the straw broke halfway through my drink!  I guess I am going to have to purchase metal straws and carry my own with me where ever I go now, as paper straws are here to stay in my area.

Why would anyone NEED a straw?  (unless their jaw is wired shut).

• Love 3
7 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

Why would anyone NEED a straw?  (unless their jaw is wired shut).

I need one. I have a stainless steel one that I can carry in my purse, but the coldness of so much ice in a drink hurts my teeth. They overfill the glass with ice because that way it takes less of the liquid (cheaper for them) and they get annoyed if I ask for very little or no ice. 

• Love 7
9 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

I got some paper ones from Amazon to keep at work and they seem (to me) to be taste-free. And they're sturdy, as evidenced by my using the same one for a couple (more or less--OK, more) of gin & tonics one night. I also have the metal ones at home too, but I don't bring them anywhere. 

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Brookside said:

Omg that is god awful looking!! There's a wife of coworker that shills for a MLM food/seasoning line and she is forever posting pics of her 'creations' that look like something my cat vomited up 2 weeks ago and I just found it covered in a crusty mold. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

I literally thought that was an undercooked croissant until I read the comments. *gag*

I've switched to paper straws (I have sensitive teeth and my dentist said straws are also good for avoiding stains) and Amazon does have some good ones, in fun prints, too. I have drawer full of ones with gold stars, pink chevrons, blue stripes. Apparently I'm a magpie when it comes to everything.

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, Brookside said:

Bacon-wrapped chicken breast, apparently.  The description of how to make it is equally unappetizing.

Inexplicably, it got 10 "likes".

I just saw that the cookbook has a recipe for Sh*t on Toast.  I kid you not.  (It's by Chrissy Teigen.)

That would explain the popularity of The "Pioneer" Woman.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
(edited)
21 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

My peeve is probably an UO but I am hating the trend of going from plastic straws to paper.

I don't use straws, so my peeve is when I say "no straw, please" when ordering, yet my drink comes with a straw plopped in it anyway.  It's not quite as annoying now that the straws are paper rather than plastic, but it's still waste that I specifically asked to avoid.  Thankfully, as of this year it is a violation of state law (with some exceptions, like for to-go orders) to give customers unrequested plastic straws, so that ought to eliminate the forgetfulness.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

There are disabled people that need straws. Some of them need disposable straws.

I'm all for reducing, reusing, and recycling, and try my best to reduce my "footprint", but efforts to shame people into reducing their use of certain items while companies continue to pollute and/or use non-renewables at an unchecked rate is laughable at the very least.

• Love 11
25 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

There are disabled people that need straws. Some of them need disposable straws.

I'm all for reducing, reusing, and recycling, and try my best to reduce my "footprint", but efforts to shame people into reducing their use of certain items while companies continue to pollute and/or use non-renewables at an unchecked rate is laughable at the very least.

I’m a straw person. I don’t like putting my lips on restaurant glasses and while I like ice cold drinks the ice makes it hard for me to drink without one. When I heard about this straw crack down (I mean of all the things polluting the ocean/earth we have to take a stand against straws?) I was worried I would have to start bringing straws with me when I went out. Luckily I’ve only ran into one paper straw and it was in a drink my husband got with the intention of sharing with our 3 year old. Well- paper straws aren’t very conducive to sharing. That thing was so nasty after my 3 year old got her hands on it. She lucked out and got a whole slushee to herself that day!

• Love 3
(edited)

(I mean of all the things polluting the ocean/earth we have to take a stand against straws?) 

It's something about, even when they are disposed of properly, they for whatever reason don't break down like other one-use plastics, so they're an extra-tenacious scourge. I realize that I am not being very helpful with that vague explanation, but I forgot the rest!

ETA: OH! And something or other about the type of plastic not being easily or commonly "accepted" for recycling. And speaking of bad plastic--bags. I feel like everyone knows they suck and I just can't understand why we still have them. Make me use paper, I don't care! And for that matter, go ahead and ditch the cardboard thing in the toilet paper too for all I care.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 5
(edited)

This is less a peeve and more of an "Are you fucking kidding me?!"

My next-door neighbor stopped me outside when I was coming in from work Sunday night. She was standing there talking to some other neighbors and said that her sister, who lives in another building in the complex, got a letter saying that leases wouldn't be renewed because the ownership is going to be renovating the property. My neighbor supposedly went to the leasing office and they said they had put the letters on everyone's doors. None of us/those to whom she had spoken in our building had received letters.

Naturally because FML, my lease is up next month. The thing that made me suspicious is that new tenants moved in downstairs within the last month. Why would that happen if the renovation were imminent?

I went to the leasing office today because I was off work. The rumors were true. No one in our building got the letter, though. So I was told I had to move out at the end of my lease, which was May 5. They wouldn't put me in another unit in the complex, no money to offset the move, no relocating to a unit in the neighboring complex that is owned by the same company. I asked if they could work out a bit more time. I left, sobbing.

The leasing agent called me a few minutes later and said they'd renew my lease for another year. What the actual fuck is happening? He emailed me the lease doc and they wanted $31 more a month. HA HA NO. They have money to renovate but need more money from me??

I went back to the leasing office after getting my phone fixed. I talked them down to a $20/month increase. I signed the lease. I fully assume I can be evicted at any time even though I have a lease.

When you take away a $750 apartment and replace it with a $1500 apartment, where does the person go who can only afford the $750 apartment? I can afford neither, but here we are.

Edited by bilgistic

When my mom was in the hospital last month, they had paper straws. Of all the single use plastics they could get rid of, they chose straws.  Plastic bendy straws are super useful to people in a hospital bed with limited mobility.  If you bend the paper ones, you can't drink very effectively.  And yet, instead of refillable water pitchers like they used to have when I volunteered there, they gave patients half-pint bottles of water. I don't even get the logic.  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, janestclair said:

When my mom was in the hospital last month, they had paper straws. Of all the single use plastics they could get rid of, they chose straws.  Plastic bendy straws are super useful to people in a hospital bed with limited mobility.  If you bend the paper ones, you can't drink very effectively.  And yet, instead of refillable water pitchers like they used to have when I volunteered there, they gave patients half-pint bottles of water. I don't even get the logic.  

Wow, is that ass backwards.  Needing a bendy straw to drink while confined to a hospital bed is a prime example of why plastic straws still need to exist and be available for those who need them, just not be handed out willy-nilly to the vast majority of us who don't.  To take those away, yet switch to - not just continue to use, but switch to! - bottled water, which is a tremendous scourge on our environment and something else that should only be used when actually necessary, is ridiculous.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Wow, is that ass backwards.  Needing a bendy straw to drink while confined to a hospital bed is a prime example of why plastic straws still need to exist and be available for those who need them, just not be handed out willy-nilly to the vast majority of us who don't.  To take those away, yet switch to - not just continue to use, but switch to! - bottled water, which is a tremendous scourge on our environment and something else that should only be used when actually necessary, is ridiculous.

Some of us need bottled water, as our “city water” is contaminated. Once I got a letter stating that we had unacceptable levels of trihalomethanes in our water, but not to worry as they cleared the problem up. They had waited until 3 months after the issue (in compliance with the EPA) to send us the information.  Duke Energy is also guilty of pollution. I won’t even touch all the problems when there was flooding due to Hurricane Florence. We also have a continuing problem with Gen-X. They have dumped cancer causing chemicals into a local river and it has seeped. They are not able to remove it from our drinking supply. Our former mayor warns against drinking the water. They have no idea how to clean it up. Think of Flint, Michigan. Not all water is safe to drink. I do heavy amounts of recycling and wish I had a better solution. I also will take empty water bottles to my daughter's house (over a hour away) as they have had their well tested and it’s safe to drink.  Generally I agree with you, but there are exceptions. 

• Love 4
(edited)

So our neighbor is trying to sell his house, and he asked my husband last month if when the pesticide people sprayed his lawn if we would let them spray ours too. My husband, without consulting me at all and with no thought to what I like and why even though he knows, said yes. I did not know until after the yard was sprayed. I am very upset. He has apologized (my husband) and asked what he can do. I told him nothing now. It's already sprayed. All he can do is remember to ask about things or think about me first next time. I did call the pesticide company and left a message telling them not to spray our lawn again.

The neighbor's lawn is perfectly dark green fescue. (I know it's fescue because it's growing so well under a tree.) He spends a lot of time and money taking care of it. I think it's ugly and want to seed it with dandelions. Our lawn has (had, in the front yard's case) lots of dandelions, henbit, clover and other things I call flowers and other people call weeds. I love them. I think they are pretty, and also they are good for the bees. (I have friends who have hives and make honey.) Also, sometimes my son picks the henbit or dandelions and gives them to me as flowers. I really love that.

My husband said, "They are trying to sell their house." I told him I don't care. That's not my problem. Frankly, I haven't found them to be particularly good neighbors. They mostly keep to themselves, which is fine, but he likes to mow and use other power equipment outside at night -- even after 9 p.m. in the summer -- and it's right outside my son's room. Also, when he's outside working on his lawn, which he does a lot, or using his smoker or anything else on his patio right next to our living room, he turns on a radio and plays it loud enough that I can hear it inside our house. I can't hear it well enough to make out words, but loud enough to know that someone is talking somewhere outside.

I'm sure he thinks I'm a horrible neighbor because I let what he calls weeds and I call wildflowers to grow in my yard, and I don't mow often enough (although often enough not to get in trouble with the city). Also, my Christmas lights are still up, although not turned on. (Of course, the last time he had Christmas lights up at Christmas, he left them on all night long, and they shined into our guest room. Fortunately it was the guest room and no one was staying over. If that had happened, I would have bought black-out curtains. I haven't because it's a guest room, and we rent so I don't want to buy curtains that we may not need if we move. It has blinds and a sheer white curtain up, so it's not bare.)

I cried about the lawn a little, and I don't know if it was because I was mad or because I'm sad the flowers are all going to die.

@Mindthinkr, is Gen-X a company or the generation?

ETA: My son wanted to know if we could plant the dandelions and henbit again.

Edited by auntlada
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Some of us need bottled water, as our “city water” is contaminated.

And thus fall into the "when actually necessary" category.

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

69C9F769-0A72-45FA-B0ED-890B26BAC9F2.thumb.jpeg.2ef94af399b65ff355c66a119a010987.jpeg

OK. I was going to say that I didn't dump any cancer-causing chemicals into any rivers (that I know of, anyway).

ETA: I've decided that this fall I'm going to find some low-growing wildflowers, and I'm planting them in my yard if I can. I like the idea of flowers all over my yard. I may or may not do the backyard because they will need to be something there that can handle a boy running around.

Edited by auntlada
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

...  Needing a bendy straw to drink while confined to a hospital bed is a prime example of why plastic straws still need to exist and be available for those who need them, just not be handed out willy-nilly to the vast majority of us who don't. ...

Straws that bend don't have to be plastic.  The original Flex-Straw was paper and worked fine -- I remember its debut to great acclaim when I was a grade school student in the mid/late 1950s. 

• Love 6
22 minutes ago, fairffaxx said:

Straws that bend don't have to be plastic.  The original Flex-Straw was paper and worked fine -- I remember its debut to great acclaim when I was a grade school student in the mid/late 1950s. 

Yes, the originals worked fine, but I've heard several people report as @janestclair said, that today's bendable paper straws don't work very well (they tend not to hold the bend well, they can't bend as far, they may come apart at the bend, etc.).

(edited)
On 4/4/2019 at 7:30 PM, Brookside said:

This,  for example, looks to me like a giant turd on a pool of vomit.

I thought it was a big yam with tissue paper wrapped around it for some reason - in a pool of either salad dressing, or queso - yeah, could be vomit.   I DID recognize the cherry tomatoes.  So my first thought was - for christ's sake here's another preachy vegan/vegetarian who can't cook because they have no palate.  My bad.  Obviously, here's another preachy carnivore who can't cook because they have no palate.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Brookside said:

Pet peeve: every time I blink there's a new change to PTV which makes things harder to navigate and track down.

If you click on the note, other than the name change, there are no changes to how the forums/threads are navigated. It's just no longer Previously TV. Primetimer is the new name. But clicking on it now will get you an error, because the change won't go into effect until later this week. It's also addressed in the Bugs/Suggestions/Questions forum at the bottom of the site. Someone had asked about it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

If you click on the note, other than the name change, there are no changes to how the forums/threads are navigated. It's just no longer Previously TV. Primetimer is the new name. 

PPqICCi.gif

(I've been dying to use that GIF. Seems like this is a good opportunity.)

The big change is on the content side. Lots of good stuff over there. Same community and forums over here.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3