Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Sun-Bun said:

Just the other day I saw this young couple with a tiny little teacup chihuahua on a flimsy white leash that had "service dog" stamped on it. Never mind how besides giving anyone a dirty look who dared look or wave at their dog, after a few minutes I noticed the couple literally tossing this poor "service dog" of theirs to each other repeatedly like it was a tiny football((it was actually yelping in surprise---some onlookers and I were getting upset about this)). Now please correct me if I'm wrong, but is it customary to nearly hurt one's service dog because one insists on roughhousing with it and essentially scare the poor creature?

The Walmart surveillance cameras would have caught me red handedly committing felonious dog snatching, and y'all would be responsible for feeding my critters until I could make bail.

But that poor little dog would've been SAVED.  ;-)

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Sun-Bun said:

Now please correct me if I'm wrong, but is it customary to nearly hurt one's service dog because one insists on roughhousing with it and essentially scare the poor creature?

Forget service dogs, it's not customary, or OK, to do that to any pet, or living creature. 

• Love 9
17 hours ago, Blergh said:

I used to get summons every three years like clockwork but then, after I wound up being the Lone Holdout in a case, they haven't asked me back since. I didn't mind doing and, in some ways, it was fascinating. However; I can't pretend to be have unadulterated grief over not getting summoned (and having to re-arrange my life and work for part of a week and being careful NOT to   read/hear media or say ONE WORD about a case until it's been done).

I've been on a jury one time. I WANT to do it again, but they never summon me. Around here, it seems based on whether you vote (Wisconsin, Minnesota). I don't know for sure. I've had a driver's license for almost 30 years and only been summoned once? But when you look at the fact that I turned 18 in 1990 and voted in 1992, 1996, 2000, was summoned around 2001, voted in 2004, and skipped it in 2008 and 2012 due to personal circumstances, it kind of makes sense. I've only voted once since moving to MN (2016).

• Love 1

Wow, this is extremely timely. I was on standby jury service all of last week.  First, I had to call in the Friday before the week stated on my form. The recording stated my group (yes, numbered groups) did not need to call back until Tuesday after 5:00. I called Tuesday and the recoding stated my group needed to call Wednesday after 5:00. So... I called Wednesday and the recoding stated my group was to call in Thursday between 11:15-12:00 for a possible 1:00 appearance at the courthouse.  I called Thursday and was told my group was not needed and that my jury service was over (thank God and all other deities).

I'm a person who likes to plan ahead and these day to day not knowing if I would be at work or at the courthouse dramas we're literally making me sick.  Either that, or I was possibly actually sick and trying to keep it together in case I had to go to the courthouse.

I was never called for jury duty until I started working at my current workplace.  Every month, someone from work was summoned to jury duty.  I have no idea why we were targeted, but it looks like more than voter registration and driver's licenses were at play here...

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Sun-Bun said:

it's just that I hate how folks are ruining this privilege for other pet owners who genuinely need their service animals and have all the proper paperwork and physical/emotional requirements for them too.

You have to watch that "emotional" part.  Service animals are not the same as emotional support animals, no matter how much their owners need them.

My peeve of the day:  As if brunch isn't annoying enough, now eggs benedict is now called "benny"?  I continue to avoid places that call a "sandwich" a "sammie," and to be honest, I don't even like the term "veggies."  And "mac and cheese," now that I think about it.

And the precious practice of putting prices on menus in whole or half dollars, without a dollar sign.  I'm not in love with the $.99 convention, but I think I prefer it over just a number if it means I get a dollar sign.

Eggs benny  16

Denver omelet  8.5

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

My peeve of the day:  As if brunch isn't annoying enough, now eggs benedict is now called "benny"?  I continue to avoid places that call a "sandwich" a "sammie," and to be honest, I don't even like the term "veggies."  And "mac and cheese," now that I think about it.

It sounds like Rachael Ray's abbreviations for food items. Another example would be her coining EVOO. 

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

It sounds like Rachael Ray's abbreviations for food items. Another example would be her coining EVOO. 

Another one who irrationally annoys me.  I could strangle her, except I don't think my hands could fit around her neck these days.

I do avoid her discounted pet food in the Walmart clearance rack.  Because I AM that mean spirited.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

The best reason for taking US citizenship is my right to serve on a jury, and VOTE - I think I'd be a rock star!!!  But then, there's that pesky little US citizenship oath, and much like Georgie Porgie, I cannot tell a lie.  If a crazed US Prez invaded my home & native land, I'd need to think long and hard about my loyalties.  Abrogation is a powerful word.

Love is messy and complicated - especially love for one's Country (or Counties).

At this point if the current crazed US Prez invaded your home and native land I think the rest of us would have your back. Can you have dual citizenship?  I have dual, US (born) and Canadian (parental). At this point I'd stand with Canada to defend it against the crazed US prez.

• Love 6
Just now, theredhead77 said:

At this point if the current crazed US Prez invaded your home and native land I think the rest of us would have your back. Can you have dual citizenship?  I have dual, US (born) and Canadian (parental). At this point I'd stand with Canada to defend it against the crazed US prez.

A bunch of folks sporting red baseball caps would disagree.  But I digress.

Canada recognizes the right to dual citizenship.  Last time I looked at what the USofA offers, one must renounce.  I'm not going to claim I have never lied, but that is is a BIG ONE, for me.  Also, it costs BIG money - and I'm already impoverished, feeding a habit of backyard critters and nicotine addiction. Taking that expensive oath is way down on my list of things to do before I die. In California.  Alone.   And Canadian, eh!   ;-)

• Love 1

For a fleeting moment I considered persuing getting documentation that my cats are emotional support animals (to help with whatever animal deposits and rent complexes require). They actually do help with my depression but I never bothered and thankfully, so far, the complex hooked me up with a waived deposit and only pet rent for one of them even though both are on the lease.

On my flight to GA I was joking with my friend that I should have gotten the one who was losing his shit certified as my anxiety cat because he was giving me anxiety.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, walnutqueen said:

A bunch of folks sporting red baseball caps would disagree.  But I digress.

Canada recognizes the right to dual citizenship.  Last time I looked at what the USofA offers, one must renounce.  I'm not going to claim I have never lied, but that is is a BIG ONE, for me.  Also, it costs BIG money - and I'm already impoverished, feeding a habit of backyard critters and nicotine addiction. Taking that expensive oath is way down on my list of things to do before I die. In California.  Alone.   And Canadian, eh!   ;-)

You won't be alone. You will have all your critters (tho I know the raccoons and possums don't live inside). Heck, I'd fly out if necessary. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Another example would be her coining EVOO. 

What drove me nuts about that was she'd always immediately go on to say it properly.  "Add in about two tablespoons of EVOO, extra virgin olive oil."  So her stupid little initialism didn't save any time, which is generally the point, since she always explained what it meant.

• Love 9
7 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

OMG I fucking HATE this!  I hate people who call California "Cali",  I hate everybody who refers to their social security number as their "social."    HATE HATE HATE.

Geez.  This really is quite the serious peeve for me.  Maybe I need help.:)

• Love 9

And they take a "vacay" (maybe to "Cali" or "Hotlanta"), during which they go "cray cray".  Baby talk is a perfectly legitimate peeve (even when directed toward babies or pets, but especially otherwise).

• Love 8

I'd like to add "my bad" to this list of language-related peeves. Every time I hear that, I want to straight throat-punch the asshole who said it and tell them that getting throat-punched is their fault for saying "my bad".

• Love 2

I have to admit that I say vacay on occasion.  I have also been known to shorten my four syllable town to one. But, ugh, yes I hate baby talk.  And the high pitchedness that goes with it.  Aargh.  Just talk normal.  Yes, I know it's "speak normally."

• Love 4
22 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

And the precious practice of putting prices on menus in whole or half dollars, without a dollar sign.  I'm not in love with the $.99 convention, but I think I prefer it over just a number if it means I get a dollar sign.

Eggs benny  16

Denver omelet  8.5

I agree.  

Especially when menus - either the individual ones or the wall menu boards, include stuff like calories, fat grams, protein grams.   If I'm skimming to look for the price, my eyes need to find a $ sign among all the numbers.

19 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

For a fleeting moment I considered persuing getting documentation that my cats are emotional support animals (to help with whatever animal deposits and rent complexes require). They actually do help with my depression but I never bothered and thankfully, so far, the complex hooked me up with a waived deposit and only pet rent for one of them even though both are on the lease.

On my flight to GA I was joking with my friend that I should have gotten the one who was losing his shit certified as my anxiety cat because he was giving me anxiety.

I'm very allergic to cats . 

One of my big fears is that I'll get on an airplane where someone has a "support animal" that triggers my asthma.  

Edited by backformore
15 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

OMG I fucking HATE this!  I hate people who call California "Cali",  I hate everybody who refers to their social security number as their "social."    HATE HATE HATE.

Calling San Francisco "Frisco" aarrrggghhhh!

• Love 1
Just now, Mindthinkr said:

I think people use those names in a pretentious way. As though they are a local and have the right to abbreviate it. They were probably just a tourist and picked up the slang. 

Except locals never call it that. But, yeah I see what you're saying. We can always tell a non local here in Seattle when they say Nordstrom instead of Nordstrom's like we do. Conversely, We call Boeing just that. Out of towners refer to it as "Boeing's" Ha.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Except locals never call it that. But, yeah I see what you're saying. We can always tell a non local here in Seattle when they say Nordstrom instead of Nordstrom's like we do. Conversely, We call Boeing just that. Out of towners refer to it as "Boeing's" Ha.

I don't think this is Seattle vs non locals.  Nordstrom's is nation wide.  It is pronounced both ways [right and wrong] everywhere and I suspect by those native in Seattle, too.   Never ever heard Boeing's! 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Qoass said:

Well, I'm just grateful when people talk about "vacation". I itch at all the (American) people who have decided that saying "holiday" makes them more precious.

Yes!  My MIL said holiday and 'hire a car' instead of rent a car.  She loved British comedies on PBS.   'Down cellar' instead of in the basement or in the cellar.  And there are others I have blocked.  

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Qoass said:

Well, I'm just grateful when people talk about "vacation". I itch at all the (American) people who have decided that saying "holiday" makes them more precious.

I've picked up using "holiday" instead of "vacation". In my defense, I have friends who are in the UK and Europe. So I don't do it because I get to sound better than someone saying "vacation". My wife is gracious enough to just roll with it.

1 minute ago, wings707 said:

Yes!  My MIL said holiday and 'hire a car' instead of rent a car.  She loved British comedies on PBS.   'Down cellar' instead of in the basement or in the cellar.  And there are others I have blocked.  

Ugh. "Hire a car". I could see using that when you're hiring a limo or getting a taxi. To use it when you're just renting a car that you're driving yourself? Blech. And why "down cellar"? "Downstairs" is faster and easier to say, and it requires less parsing on the part of your audience. Christ. I already have to do enough thinking over the course of a day. Don't make me work harder to understand what you're saying than is really necessary!

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, MrSmith said:

I've picked up using "holiday" instead of "vacation". In my defense, I have friends who are in the UK and Europe. So I don't do it because I get to sound better than someone saying "vacation". My wife is gracious enough to just roll with it.

She is a good woman.  ;^) 

• Love 2

New England.

My point is that of course there are regional figures of speech but to appropriate them from another area (let alone another country) strikes me as pretentious.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Qoass said:

I agree. I think I must be really cranky because I twitch at "vacay".

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Qoass said:

New England.

My point is that of course there are regional figures of speech but to appropriate them from another area (let alone another country) strikes me as pretentious.

Yes, she was born and raised New England.  Other members of the family do not use the term.  

3 minutes ago, SoSueMe said:

I agree. I think I must be really cranky because I twitch at "vacay".

And totes, hiddy and all the other abbreviated versions of normal works that do not need to be shortened!   

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, wings707 said:

Yes, she was born and raised New England.  Other members of the family do not use the term.  

And totes, hiddy and all the other abbreviated versions of normal works that do not need to be shortened!   

It drives me crazy when I hear people call Instagram "insta" & I don't even have an account.

• Love 2

I hate "sunnies". Just call them sunglasses, dammit!

I will admit to using "holiday" instead of "vacation" sometimes, but in my defense I work with a ton of Irish and French colleagues. I also kept saying "car park" instead of "parking lot" for a short time after seeing a bunch of documentaries on the discovery of King Richard III's body.

• Love 3

Can we smack any woman who refers to her genitals as "va-jay-jay"?   Grow up.

And don't get me started on grown women who don't understand the difference between their vulva and their vagina. 

• Love 13
19 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

Well...perhaps I do as well!  Ha!  I am glad to have found my people here!  We are united in the hate of "cray", "vacay", "sunnies", "prezzies", "tennies", "totes", "adorbs", "jel or jelly" - I could go on but you know what I mean.  

Edited by Kelly
  • Love 5
31 minutes ago, Quof said:

And don't get me started on grown women who don't understand the difference between their vulva and their vagina. 

I don't know the difference.  But, I don't know that it affects my life any.  I don't think I ever discuss my inner parts, but if I did, I would not say va jay jay.  

As for appropriating other regions' words, it probably happens lots of times organically when you're around people from different areas. I'm from New England.  I say soda.  I went to college in the Midwest.  I stubbornly refused to say pop.  One day my roommate said soda, and then said "I can't believe I just said soda."  I would also say sneakers instead of tennis shoes, or more popularly tennys.  I worked with a woman once who instead of saying she liked your outfit would say she liked our "uni" presumably short for uniform which is actually silly, but it didn't really bother me.   I forgot what my point was, unless it was just that people from different areas speak differently and we live in a world where people move around a lot, and so it becomes more fluid or whatever.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

As for appropriating other regions' words, it probably happens lots of times organically when you're around people from different areas. I'm from New England.  I say soda.  I went to college in the Midwest.  I stubbornly refused to say pop.  One day my roommate said soda, and then said "I can't believe I just said soda."  I would also say sneakers instead of tennis shoes, or more popularly tennys.  I worked with a woman once who instead of saying she liked your outfit would say she liked our "uni" presumably short for uniform which is actually silly, but it didn't really bother me.   I forgot what my point was, unless it was just that people from different areas speak differently and we live in a world where people move around a lot, and so it becomes more fluid or whatever.

My mother is from Boston, but my dad is from the midwest, and I grew up in the midwest.  I too say "soda" and "sneakers" (and my grandmother and mother both say "down cellar" LOL)...but I don't have issue so much with the appropriation of words, for the most part.  I guess because they're actually words, not cutesy abbreviations of words.  That's just me though...

Edited by Kelly
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, Katy M said:

As for appropriating other regions' words, it probably happens lots of times organically when you're around people from different areas. I'm from New England.  I say soda.  I went to college in the Midwest.  I stubbornly refused to say pop.  One day my roommate said soda, and then said "I can't believe I just said soda."  .

When I was a kid, I said soda pop (one time).  I got mocked for merging my Northern family with my Southern location.

Now I just call it Coke.  Even when its not.  Only Dr Pepper merits its own name.

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, Quof said:

You should.

Well, if I ever need to know the difference, I'm sure I could find out then.  

I was also told (by a male teacher) that girls were supposed to feel a pop when they ovulate and none of the girls in the class did and we were told we were not in touch with our bodies.  I've yet to ever see someone say, "Oh, pop, I just ovulated."

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Quof said:

Can we smack any woman who refers to her genitals as "va-jay-jay"?   Grow up

I agree. My one exception: on Grey's Anatomy, when Dr. Bailey told George to stop looking at her va jay jay. A funny line in an excellent episode--back in the olden days when GA was still good. 

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Well, if I ever need to know the difference, I'm sure I could find out then.  

I was also told (by a male teacher) that girls were supposed to feel a pop when they ovulate and none of the girls in the class did and we were told we were not in touch with our bodies.  I've yet to ever see someone say, "Oh, pop, I just ovulated."

That is absurd.  There would be no need for birth control if this was true.  Who the fuck is the matter with this guy? 

• Love 1
Just now, wings707 said:

That is absurd.  There would be no need for birth control if this was true.  Who the fuck is the matter with this guy? 

The biology professor at my college.

• Love 1
Just now, wings707 said:

Is he still working there?

I would assume not. He was pretty old and I graduated in '94.  Other than that, he was great.  He was funny.  But, honestly, I don't like it when men tell women what they're supposed to feel.  Actually, tbh, with the possible exception of doctors I don't like it when anyone tells me what I should or am feeling.  I told a friend of my I was having pain in my breasts.  She said "it's not pain, it's tenderness."  I lost it.  I know the difference between actual pain and tenderness.  Then she had the nerve to tell me to calm down. That was like 2 years ago and I'm still mad about it.

• Love 7