Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

I don't really care about stores starting their Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas merchandise displays early so much as I care about the fact that by doing so, they inevitably end up not having some other stuff in stock because they don't have enough room for everything. I realized a week ago that I really needed some chairs for the back porch. And at some point I will shop for a nice set of patio furniture, but for now I just wanted some of those inexpensive plastic/resin chairs. This is the sort of stuff I would normally go to Walmart or Target for, but no: they currently have nothing in stock except for those canvas directors chairs, and only in very limited quantities (literally 1 of each color) and unappealing colors.  That's because the vast majority of their garden/outdoor floor space is now empty in preparation for Christmas decorations. FFS, people, it's late September in south TX. We're still having days where the temp gets to the mid-90s, and people are still using their patios for parties and so forth, and will continue to do so for at least a couple of months more.  So I ended up going to Lowe's and found some chairs I like, because Lowe's has the good sense to limit their seasonal stuff to a fairly small section of the store and keep at least most critical year-round merchandise in stock.  The same problem goes for other merchandise. If you need a bathing suit right now, you're out of luck unless you want to go to one of those stores in the mall that sells nothing but beachwear or go online (and even online, there will often be very limited options). I understand that in the NE right now, there's not much demand for bathing suits, but those big national stores need to adjust at least somewhat to their region's needs. Right now many stores in my area are stocking heavy wool sweaters, and while there may be people planning to go to cold locations in the next couple of months, there is zero need for the quantity the stores are carrying, because our area gets maybe 10 days a year when someone would need something for cold weather.  All I ask is that stores show some good sense in stocking merchandise that is suitable for their location.

• Love 7

My pet peeve currently is realtors, or at least the local realtors I've been dealing with lately.

Although I'm not exactly in the best financial shape yet to upgrade from my current home, I still like to see what's out there and explore my neighborhood for potential good deals now and then so that I know exactly what I want when the time is right to make an offer. I've known a few local realtors whom I respect and who have shown me places a few times in the past.

So I see this week that several larger condos in my building are available and I asked my fave realtors to be taken to see them, and my emailed requests were all ignored. One realtor pretty much told me((in a nice way)) to either sign an exclusivity agreement with her or to fuck right off.

Okay, I get it---don't bug realtors to see places unless you're dead serious about buying. Don't waste their precious time. But on the flipside, if there's even a chance to make a potentially good sale, what's the harm in taking a potential client to either consider an offer or spread some word of mouth to other potential customers?

Unfortunately, I'm afraid I've now been lumped into local realtor pariah status and my curiosity and future upgrade ambitions have been mistaken for pure bullshit...still, I'm slightly butthurt about it, even though I'm sure any realtors here would gladly weigh in with their own thoughts on this situation.

17 minutes ago, Sun-Bun said:

My pet peeve currently is realtors, or at least the local realtors I've been dealing with lately.

Although I'm not exactly in the best financial shape yet to upgrade from my current home, I still like to see what's out there and explore my neighborhood for potential good deals now and then so that I know exactly what I want when the time is right to make an offer. I've known a few local realtors whom I respect and who have shown me places a few times in the past.

So I see this week that several larger condos in my building are available and I asked my fave realtors to be taken to see them, and my emailed requests were all ignored. One realtor pretty much told me((in a nice way)) to either sign an exclusivity agreement with her or to fuck right off.

Okay, I get it---don't bug realtors to see places unless you're dead serious about buying. Don't waste their precious time. But on the flipside, if there's even a chance to make a potentially good sale, what's the harm in taking a potential client to either consider an offer or spread some word of mouth to other potential customers?

Unfortunately, I'm afraid I've now been lumped into local realtor pariah status and my curiosity and future upgrade ambitions have been mistaken for pure bullshit...still, I'm slightly butthurt about it, even though I'm sure any realtors here would gladly weigh in with their own thoughts on this situation.

I can kind of see their side.  Realtors only make money when they sell.  Sure, if you ask to see 5 houses (or whatever) a year, that's not much time.  But, if 50 people are asking to see 5 houses a year and not ready to buy, that's a lot of their time.  I also see your side of the argument.  Anybody might buy at any time if they find the perfect place.  And, they may spread the word.  But, like with any business, you need to maximize your opportunities.  

A friend of mine wanted me to buy a multi-unit with her a few years back.  I said, OK, let's go look.  So, on our lunch break, a realtor took us to look at 3 houses, 2 of them single dwellings.  Alone with my friend, I asked why she was showing us singles.  My friend said that originally she was just going to buy a house on her own, but had changed her mind and not told the realtor that she only wanted to look at multis.  I got really irritated with her, because she wasted all of our time.  Not that this part was my friend's fault, but one of the houses had a flood in the basement.  I don't mean flood damage.  There was still water half way up.  Why are you showing us this house?????  So, I think the pet peeves around looking at real estate can go all the way around.

• Love 6
30 minutes ago, Sun-Bun said:

It's been a long time since I worked in a real estate office, but there are plenty of realtors who take the attitude that if you're not serious about buying within the next couple of months or so, they don't want to bother with you. If the local realtors you've been asking for occasional viewings have all essentially put you on ignore, you might consider going to open houses a few times a year to see what the market conditions are. However, it may be difficult to find an open house for the specific type of property you're interested in.  Another option might be online.  Some realtors have their listings on their website or other real estate sites with multiple photos, along with asking price, etc., and while that might not be ideal, you can generally filter your search to show only property types that you would find of interest.  I was briefly considering renting/buying a house earlier this  year, before I made the decision to buy one that was under construction, and I will say those online photos and descriptions saved me a lot of time that I might have wasted going to look at properties that had the right number of bedrooms and so forth, but had other features that automatically excluded them from consideration. 

• Love 3

On the topic of realtors, my opinion is probably different than it would have been years ago because of technology.  Those thinking about buying have access to websites with prices and dozens of pictures of everything listed.  There is no need to go see it in person unless the potential buyer has seen something on line that makes them think about transitioning from thinking about buying to seriously interested in buying. 

Realtors have a legitimate position to want to spend their time with people who are actively looking to buy.  Its a job; and technology has changed enough that the potential that taking someone to a house will convert someone from thinking about buying a house to buying a house is way, way less than it used to be.  So I can see realtors point in not wanting to do it.

On the other hand, anecdotally, realtors seem to be much less willing to do any of the legwork on finding a home for a buyer.  They are relying on the buyer to use the technology to weed out the possibilities and keep the number of showings the realtor has to do to a minimum so they can have more clients and more $$$.  I'm all for not wasting time for the buyer and the realtor.  But I think that the work realtors put in to buying has reduced via technology and the percentage they get off a sale should also.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 3

Ham mucus.

That awful, awful viscous hammy water that they pack pre sliced half-ham in.  It clings like, well, mucus.

And as you wash this horrible ham snot off your ham slices so you can eat it (at some future date, because no way you still in the mood to eat anything with ham in it) you ruminate on how gross it is and then your mind wanders to where ham comes from.  And then you are a vegetarian until you remember that you don't like vegetables enough to survive as a vegetarian.

• Love 7

ParadoxLost, that stuff is called aspic and is a natural by-product of the cooking process. Some meats produce more than others. Not only is it safe, it's delicious! It's almost pure protein, not fat, and it will build up some nice pan drippings to make gravy with. 

8 hours ago, riley702 said:

ParadoxLost, that stuff is called aspic and is a natural by-product of the cooking process. Some meats produce more than others. Not only is it safe, it's delicious! It's almost pure protein, not fat, and it will build up some nice pan drippings to make gravy with. 

I didn't know that so you've taught me something. Isn't that called 'Red Eye' gravy? I don't think the same applies to the water that comes in with a chicken. It gets all over my sink contaminating while I'm trying to cook. 

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Bastet said:

That annoys the hell out of me.  So does adding an extra syllable to triathlon (tri-ath-a-lon).

Holy crap, I had no idea!  I guess I always put an a in there because of marathon, and you know, they both involve running.  

19 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

Ham mucus.

6 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I didn't know that so you've taught me something. Isn't that called 'Red Eye' gravy? I don't think the same applies to the water that comes in with a chicken. It gets all over my sink contaminating while I'm trying to cook. 

That made me legit laugh out loud.  Thank you.  I think red eye gravy is something different. Isn't that the gravy that they put on biscuits and gravy in the US?

I was in line before in Panera, and the lady in front of me had no idea what she wanted.  Meanwhile the line is growing.  Please decide what in the hell you want to order BEFORE getting in line so you're not wasting my time.  Am I the only one who checks out menus online to avoid such a scenario?  I could've gone to the kiosk, but I wanted to pay cash, so I was stuck. 

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, janestclair said:

I was in line before in Panera, and the lady in front of me had no idea what she wanted.  Meanwhile the line is growing.  Please decide what in the hell you want to order BEFORE getting in line so you're not wasting my time.

I hate that!  Especially at a fast food place, I want to holler "Just pick a number and get it over with!"  What's worse are the people with four little kids, and they have to ask each of them what they want, and go through an entire process for each one.  Then it takes them three tries to work the credit card scanner...

• Love 6

I cannot abide that behavior in parents/kids. It probably stems from the fact that my single mother didn't let us rule the household, nor could we afford to eat out.

Or it could just be that I hate kids to whom I'm not related.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, janestclair said:

I was in line before in Panera, and the lady in front of me had no idea what she wanted.  Meanwhile the line is growing.  Please decide what in the hell you want to order BEFORE getting in line so you're not wasting my time.  Am I the only one who checks out menus online to avoid such a scenario?  I could've gone to the kiosk, but I wanted to pay cash, so I was stuck. 

I usually look online at menus before I dine because I'm a vegetarian and have to dream up what the restaurant can fix for me if hey have no suitable selections. Regardless, the others in my party have to announce/apologize to the wait staff that I'm a vegetarian, as if I have a gaping wound and am bleeding all over the place. I'm grown and can have the conversation with the server, thanks.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 7
23 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

I usually look online at menus before I dine because I'm a vegetarian and have to dream up what the restaurant can fix for me if hey have no suitable selections. Regardless, the others in my party have to announce/apologize to the wait staff that I'm a vegetarian, as if I have a gaping wound and am bleeding all over the place. I'm grown and can have the conversation with the server, thanks.

That's weird.  I have a friend that's a vegan, which is obviously more of a difficulty in finding something to eat.  but, most of the problem is figuring out where to go.  But, I would never dream of apologizing to a server that she's a vegan.  That's silly.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, riley702 said:

You've taught me something I didn't know and maybe if I were reheating the already cooked ham then it would taste good, but I maintain that no one has ever opened pre sliced cooked ham and thought...slimy snot ham and cheese sandwich....mmm.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, janestclair said:

That made me legit laugh out loud.  Thank you.  I think red eye gravy is something different. Isn't that the gravy that they put on biscuits and gravy in the US?

Red eye gravy can be served with biscuits. It is made from ham. I always prefer sausage gravy with my biscuits.

• Love 2

Ham is gross. Slime on ham is even grosser. I remember it from my childhood. I used to love fatty bacon, though. I've not eaten pork since my early 20s.

When my folks and I went to the beach last week, my dad bought and ate some Underwood potted meat. My mom (who eats meat) and I were disgusted.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, janestclair said:

Holy crap, I had no idea!  I guess I always put an a in there because of marathon, and you know, they both involve running.  

Same here. Fortunately for the last thirty years my lifestyle has rarely required me to say the word triathlon. 

• Love 7
19 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I'm NOT a vegetarian and I *STILL* look online.  Which is a problem when it comes to Chinese restaurants.  Most here - well, the ones catering to an older generation, regardless of whether they're hole-in-the-wall types or not - DO NOT have websites.  And I absolutely DESPISE multicourse banquets since I don't like shrimp, crab or lobster.  Basically, I have to sit out at least ONE course (usually two or three) and have to deal with relatives asking me why I'm not eating (or rather, shaming me for not eating).

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, DeLurker said:

If you are old enough to vote, what or why you eat or don't is not an okay topic. 

It's a cultural thing.  I swear the "older generation" treats the "younger generation" as if they're under 18 - even if they're 60!  Especially with food.  And it isn't JUST Chinese.  I've seen that with my in-laws (Jewish) and some of my Italian-Canadian and Greek-Canadian friends!

• Love 1
19 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Regardless, the others in my party have to announce/apologize to the wait staff that I'm a vegetarian, as if I have a gaping wound and am bleeding all over the place.

Geez.  Nobody has ever apologized for my vegetarianism on my behalf, but my grandfather did once stand and announce to the entire restaurant that I was his vegetarian granddaughter.  (In a BBQ restaurant.  In Oklahoma.)

• Love 6
31 minutes ago, strippedhalo said:

Geez.  Nobody has ever apologized for my vegetarianism on my behalf, but my grandfather did once stand and announce to the entire restaurant that I was his vegetarian granddaughter.  (In a BBQ restaurant.  In Oklahoma.)

And you made it out alive?

• Love 4
44 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

We mostly don't kill vegetarians here. Anyone who doesn't eat meat just leaves more for me. (Seriously, I don't care what other people eat as long as they don't care what I eat.)

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, auntlada said:

We mostly don't kill vegetarians here. Anyone who doesn't eat meat just leaves more for me. (Seriously, I don't care what other people eat as long as they don't care what I eat.)

Then they're nicer than Texans. When I told an in law of mine in Texas that our son was a vegetarian he told me I should have had an abortion.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, strippedhalo said:

Nobody has ever apologized for my vegetarianism on my behalf, but my grandfather did once stand and announce to the entire restaurant that I was his vegetarian granddaughter.  (In a BBQ restaurant.  In Oklahoma.)

I have no idea the context in which that actually occurred, but I pictured it like a movie scene, an old man's awkward yet adorable idea of an expression of support and an "if you mess with her, you mess with me" warning to fellow patrons.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3
24 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Then they're nicer than Texans. When I told an in law of mine in Texas that our son was a vegetarian he told me I should have had an abortion.

I hope they were joking.  but, even so that's a horrible thing to say.

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, SoSueMe said:

Okay. One of the alternate names (from your link) was just the deal breaker so far as me wanting to try to make/eat this. "bottom sop".

Oh, come on.  What could possibly be unappetizing about a name like bottom sop.  It sounds like something that comes out of your butt.  MMMM.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, peacheslatour said:

Yep. They're not even ranchers- they grow cotton. Fortunately most of them are dead.

Boy, that must have been considered a hanging offense (being a vegetarian) since the "A" word isn't usually a Texas recommendation from what I hear.

• Love 2
Just now, SoSueMe said:

Boy, that must have been considered a hanging offense (being a vegetarian) since the "A" word isn't usually a Texas recommendation from what I hear.

They know I'm a filthy lib, so it was not only a shot at my son but a reminder that I'm a baby killing Feminazi too.

• Love 4

My trash company is promoting 99.9% pick up accuracy.  How do I know this?   I went to the website to complain about 20% pick up accuracy over the last six weeks.

I'm going to fire them after sending a series of snarky emails.  I'm going to consider becoming more creative in my snarky emails because their hours do not extend beyond the time their residential customers are at work which means I have to make time in my busy day to express my displeasure which annoys me.

To touch on the other service provider that annoys me.  I hate that my cable made me upgrade my equipment.  Its much less reliable.  There is nothing I like better than having the internet go out and not be able to change the TV channel which happens all the time now.  Never did before.  This message brought to your while I couldn't post this post.

• Love 2

So its going on almost 3 weeks since Irma hit and not one single pile of dead branches/trees have been picked up in the entire county (I drive around my county as part of my job and EVERY NEIGHBORHOOD that had tree damage I've been in still has piles in front of their home). Thank goodness that Maria stayed east of us. I know they are probably inundated with garbage pickup requests but now the news is reporting that the trash piles might be sitting out in front of our homes until  Christmas, which seems ridiculous to me.

In other news, if anyone needs wood for their fireplaces for the upcoming snowstorm season, we've got plenty sitting around that will go unused down here. Just PM the address and I'll be more than happy to ship it up to you LOL .

• Love 5
17 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I think he also added "from Canada" as a qualifier, lol. 

16 hours ago, Bastet said:

I have no idea the context in which that actually occurred, but I pictured it like a movie scene, an old man's awkward yet adorable idea of an expression of support and an "if you mess with her, you mess with me" warning to fellow patrons.

Pretty much! With a side of grandpa just liked to announce things with his bombastic voice.

• Love 1

I'm sick of people saying "I lied" instead of "I made a mistake". First off, you'd rather look duplicitous (and, frankly, idiotic) as opposed to merely human? Second, I have no use or respect for people who can't own their mistakes. I think it's a sign of maturity, character, and integrity to take responsibility for your errors.

15 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I'm sick of people saying "I lied" instead of "I made a mistake". First off, you'd rather look duplicitous (and, frankly, idiotic) as opposed to merely human? Second, I have no use or respect for people who can't own their mistakes. I think it's a sign of maturity, character, and integrity to take responsibility for your errors.

What's the context?  Do you mean if you ask someone how long the 100 years war is and they answer 100 years, thinking that is correct, and then find out it is 116, and they say they lied?  Or if they tell an actual lie, like "no, honey I didn't cheat on you?"  The second one is clearly a lie and while it may have been a mistake, it is first and foremost a lie.  The former, well, I don't really see it as not taking responsibility for your error.  And, technically you did lie.  Just not intentionally.

• Love 1

So many people do not know how to write letters or even emails these days.  I travel often visiting family several times a year, so I frequent this travel website to keep up to date with any new information or potential issues.  This website offers people assistance with trying to resolve various travel problems. 

Its amazing how many people post their problems or letters/emails they've had with airlines, cruises, rental cars, etc., and its just one huge paragraph and they go on and on about every little thing that went wrong, even stuff that the travel provider has no control over or can't resolve.  These people are looking for reimbursement, usually not just for their costs, but also because they believe they've been insulted or treated rudely. 

It just really amazes me just how poorly these people write about their complaints.  I try to read through them, but the huge paragraph causes me to lose my place and the complaining about minutiae is distracting.  These people complain further because the airline (or other) hasn't responded to them, or just offeres a small 'good will' gesture and they feel like their issue isn't being taken seriously.  

Of course, its no wonder no one has responded to their complaint when they can't even figure out what the main problem is because its buried in the huge paragraph of numerous complaints.  The advocates that respond seem to spend 90% of the time asking these people to rewrite their letters, with just facts, no emotion, make it shorter and easier to read, and be clear as to what they want.  

And it really can work when you do that.  I got a refund (in cash or really back on my credit card) for an airline change fee just by writing a short, clear statement of what my flight was (date, airports, flight number), why I had to change my flight with a medical document, request for refund (or voucher), and statement that I appreciate the good service and would use the airline again.  

• Love 8

This is more than a peeve.

This summer when I was visiting my parents in Florida, I had to get 2 of my prescriptions refilled so I had them transferred to the CVS near them.  I did not find out until a couple weeks later that I had been shorted by 5 pills on an med I take for anxiety.  The one for blood pressure was fine.  By the time I figured it out, I was already back in Texas.  When I called in about it the response was "you need to take the matter up with the issuing store pharmacy".

When I refilled more prescriptions at CVS locally, 1 was short again.  The quantity was supposed to be 90, but I only got 80.  This is for a neurological issue, but the med is often used for anxiety/stress too. My other prescription was fine (blood pressure med).   This time I counted that first evening, called in immediately and took it back the next morning.

I don't know if there is a black market for anti-anxiety and stress meds, but I suspect something is up since both times my non-exciting blood pressure meds were fine, the shortages happened at 2 different CVS in 2 different states and the amount was not 1 or 2 short.  CVS has given me anxiety over this.

I switched my prescriptions back to Kroger even though they don't have stores in Florida (which was my whole reason for transferring to CVS).

• Love 5
43 minutes ago, DeLurker said:

This is more than a peeve.

This summer when I was visiting my parents in Florida, I had to get 2 of my prescriptions refilled so I had them transferred to the CVS near them.  I did not find out until a couple weeks later that I had been shorted by 5 pills on an med I take for anxiety.  The one for blood pressure was fine.  By the time I figured it out, I was already back in Texas.  When I called in about it the response was "you need to take the matter up with the issuing store pharmacy".

When I refilled more prescriptions at CVS locally, 1 was short again.  The quantity was supposed to be 90, but I only got 80.  This is for a neurological issue, but the med is often used for anxiety/stress too. My other prescription was fine (blood pressure med).   This time I counted that first evening, called in immediately and took it back the next morning.

I don't know if there is a black market for anti-anxiety and stress meds, but I suspect something is up since both times my non-exciting blood pressure meds were fine, the shortages happened at 2 different CVS in 2 different states and the amount was not 1 or 2 short.  CVS has given me anxiety over this.

I switched my prescriptions back to Kroger even though they don't have stores in Florida (which was my whole reason for transferring to CVS).

Someone is probably pocketing them for their own use or sale. You need to begin counting them; right there at the counter if necessary or you may be told that it was correct and you are just angling for more. 

I have been with my new Dr for less than 6 months. I've had SEVEN medication errors. My small pharmacy knows me and has stood up for me because it is his office workers errors. I complained last visit but feel his staff is passive aggressive because the errors are getting worse and his staff are arbitrarily changing my dosages. There was one medicine they halved my dosage. (When I confronted the MD he said sorry because this has happened before). Medication is something that should be overseen by just MD's, PA's, NP's and RN's. Not someone who completed a 9 month medical assistant degree at the local CC.

I'm angry for you @DeLurker Report it. Someone is skimming. 

• Love 7