Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

@DeLurker  

P.S. When I go away I ask my Dr for enough to last until I return. This can be done with most medications if you have a note from the Dr stating that you are traveling and will not be able to refill them in your usual timely manner. The easy button no longer exists (trying to use a national pharmacy). I was also surprised to see that it was CVS. In my state they are no longer choosing to give anyone a supply of more than seven days worth of narcotics. Even if your RX and MD states you are eligible for more. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Hanahope said:

Its amazing how many people post their problems or letters/emails they've had with airlines, cruises, rental cars, etc., and its just one huge paragraph and they go on and on about every little thing that went wrong, even stuff that the travel provider has no control over or can't resolve.  These people are looking for reimbursement, usually not just for their costs, but also because they believe they've been insulted or treated rudely. 

I used to work for a travel agency.  Someone sent in their evaluation form and gave us a low rating on something because it was raining in London.  I kid you not.

• Love 7

Thanks for the feedback.  I was thinking  I was paranoid because the missing meds were relatively low dose and not for anything I thought was particularly interesting.

I am going to write a letter to both pharmacies with CCs to a corporate address.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Hanahope said:

And it really can work when you do that. 

I wholeheartedly disagree.  I say this on day four of trying to get my trash collected.  Now I have been through this 4 times in the last six weeks after not having a problem for ten years.  I know what they want to know.  I stated the facts.  It does not help. 

Frankly, I think that the initial mistake of not picking it up turned into such a cluster with how customer support handled it that the trash collector probably wrongly got in trouble and its probably intentional now.

I do admit that I've moved into the not pleasant to deal with mode.  But they didn't help me when I was being nice, clear, and concise either.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, ParadoxLost said:

And it really can work when you do that. 

I wholeheartedly disagree.  I say this on day four of trying to get my trash collected.  Now I have been through this 4 times in the last six weeks after not having a problem for ten years.  I know what they want to know.  I stated the facts.  It does not help. 

Frankly, I think that the initial mistake of not picking it up turned into such a cluster with how customer support handled it that the trash collector probably wrongly got in trouble and its probably intentional now.

I do admit that I've moved into the not pleasant to deal with mode.  But they didn't help me when I was being nice, clear, and concise either.

Well, that is a HUGE peeve of mine--when you're having a problem with some company or whatever, and people say it must be because you're not being nice.  They can't know unless they're privy to every bit of every interchange. 

But I don't think that's what @Hanahope was saying, as I thought the post was more about poorly written one-paragraph emotional diatribes.  There's a difference between being an asshole (not calling you that, @ParadoxLost), and writing something that's going to take a lot of work for someone to figure out what it is you're complaining about.  Assholes who communicate clearly should be no problem.  It's the old thing with lawyers--they would usually prefer to go against a skilled lawyer, because otherwise you have to make the incompetent lawyer's arguments for him, and then bat them down.  It's more work.

Take a look at complaints on a site like ripoff report.  It's amazing, and incredibly dispiriting to feel like you have to side with customer service because the customers are such idiots.

I've been a "constructive criticizer" of businesses for many years.  When I was a kid, I wrote to Church's Chicken to complain about changing their french fries, and had their return letter on my bulletin board for years.  I was an inveterate letter writer forever, until the internet came along and any moron with two thumbs could waste companies' time on complaints about "smug" Target employees.  My always legitimate (if I do say so myself) and always well-crafted (undeniable) letters are now ignored along with all the nonsense, and I'm just not down with "Use Twitter if you want to get their attention" as I've never been interested in making any of it public--I really do just want to offer suggestions and have them acknowledged.

Which is another peeve.  Why do businesses have a "contact us" form if they're not going to respond?  I use those instead of email because you never know about spam traps or whatever, but whatever is on the contact form DOES go through, so I know they got it.  While it bugs me for companies to not give information on how to contact them, at least they're not playing me.

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
making that little "@" thing work right
  • Love 3
On 9/21/2017 at 1:54 PM, Katy M said:

I wonder why not. Low ceilings are good.  They keep your heating bill down.  I mean as long as they're at least 6 and a half feet or so, so that nobody is hitting their head.  But, I had to get a chair and then put a big book on top of the chair, and I was just like "this is so not going to end well."  But, I did not end up falling to an embarrassing death after all.

I have to climb our stairs and lean over the railing to clean the dust off our super-high-up ceiling fan; we have a regular-height ceiling in half the LR (there's a room above it) but the other half is open all the way up to the second floor's ceiling. And the damn fan is about 14 feet up! 

I usually look online at menus before I dine because I'm a vegetarian and have to dream up what the restaurant can fix for me if hey have no suitable selections. Regardless, the others in my party have to announce/apologize to the wait staff that I'm a vegetarian, as if I have a gaping wound and am bleeding all over the place. I'm grown and can have the conversation with the server, thanks.

Oh, same! It's been tricky this week because my dad is visiting. He's staying with my sister, and we've all been going out to eat a lot. Because there aren't a lot of easy vegan options for me to suggest anyway, I've just been going wherever they decide and trying to cobble together some shit or another, so checking the menu beforehand is key. So far, I've managed on pasta with garlic, oil, and some kind of roasted-vegetable side. Bland but doable (and my only hope when the BF's stepfather insists we go to that damn Outback! COME ON, MAN!).

In other news, did you know that Houlihan's (I don't know if that's a thing where you are; it's a basic chain restaurant around here) has a handful of vegetarian options? Most didn't quite work for me (cheese or butter or whatever already mixed in) so I had zucchini noodles marinara--as did my dad, who is trying to move toward a plant-based diet in his 70s! But it's nice to know that some places are at least making an attempt to address our weird, crazy ways, haha!

Okay. One of the alternate names (from your link) was just the deal breaker so far as me wanting to try to make/eat this. "bottom sop".

"Bottom sop" made me abruptly cackle really loudly! I should suggest it as a name for the BF's new band, haha!

A peeve about all this, though: when people--fellow eaters or even waitstaff--react like, "Then why did you even come here?" I don't mean to burst anyone's omnivore bubble, but some vegans know it's not all about us and are actually cooperative and even considerate of what other people want to eat, damn it!

Edited by TattleTeeny
STILL laughing at "bottom sop"!
  • Love 5

Re vegetarianism:  I try to make at least two meat-free dinners a week (notice I said meat-free, not vegan/vegetarian.  I like my eggs and yogurt, thank you very much.  And commercial vegan yogurt often has additional stablizers that might not be all that great for you)) and my parents have tried to sway me away from doing so.  I'll send them pictures of my meal and they'd say "no meat again?"  It kind of bothers me.  My dad has also questioned me for subbing more traditional grains with, say, squash (I LOVE butternut squash!) or even "real" whole grains like quinoa (which isn't even all that non-traditional anymore) or sorghum.  Basically, my dad has this view on grains:  If it ain't made from rice or wheat, it ain't a real grain. 

• Love 2

That's dads for ya (though, yeah, my dad is trying!). And my grandma--she's nuts! She always claims I'm too skinny (or pale) because I don't eat meat. Well, I always have been--it's a result of her half of the family, in fact! Further, I never ate much meat to begin with, and I only went full-on vegan like two years(ish) ago! 

Oh, also! You can make a super-easy and kick-ass mac & "cheese" with butternut squash! It is insanely good (good enough to "fool" my family, the majority of which think veganism is new and kooky).

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2
32 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

That's dads for ya (though, yeah, my dad is trying!). And my grandma--she's nuts! She always claims I'm too skinny (or pale) because I don't eat meat. Well, I always have been--it's a result of her half of the family, in fact! Further, I never ate much meat to begin with, and I only went full-on vegan like two years(ish) ago! 

Oh, also! You can make a super-easy and kick-ass mac & "cheese" with butternut squash! It is insanely good (good enough to "fool" my family, the majority of which think veganism is new and kooky).

OH, I know!  A friend of mine just posted a recipe online!  

• Love 1

Skunks. They're fluffy and cute and I bear them no ill will, but last night was the 3rd in a row where one went off right outside my windows. That is some potent stuff. At least last night I had the windows closed.

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, ABay said:

Skunks. They're fluffy and cute and I bear them no ill will, but last night was the 3rd in a row where one went off right outside my windows. That is some potent stuff. At least last night I had the windows closed.

I saw a cute video (on Inside Edition) of a skunk who's head was stuck in a cup and the responding  officer was humane and brave enough to get that top off of its head. Yes, the skunk raised its tail in thanks. Pew! (It didn't state but I suppose the policeman was off duty the rest of the night to avoid stinking up the car/HQ and bathe in tomato juice). Sorry to hear that you are having these nocturnal visitors. 

• Love 4

When I lived in So Cal, I had a skunk that lived in the crawlspace under my house.  We tried filling up the entry holes it dug, but it always found another.  It apparently had no issue with 2 children and a lab living over it and my lab wasn't the least bit concerned about it.  It never sprayed near our house, but when it went out for the nightly meanderings it sometimes ended up spraying a few houses away.

• Love 5
On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 1:06 PM, Zola said:

Very small peeve - but I do get a tad irritated trying to find the "sell by" or "best before" date-stamps on some food/drink items; more irritating are those foodstuffs that come in bottles or jars: you see the words "Best before...." but then it goes onto say "see cap" or "see base" or "see side of label" So then you spend another few seconds flicking the said jar sideways, upside down and any-which-way in the vein hope of finding the friggin' date!

And when you do find the damned thing, it's barely legible due to a poor inking process or general wear-and-tear.

Annoying, but not quite the end of the world, I guess.

Yes, I recently encountered a bottle of blueberry juice smoothie, in a clear bottle, and the expiration date was printed in purple on the bottle.  Can't read it until you drink or pour it out of the bottle. 

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 2:56 PM, janestclair said:

Allow me to rant about jury duty summons for a minute.  My 73 year old mother with kidney failure, limited mobility, and dementia just got a jury duty notice.  This is not her first jury duty summons, and every time, she needs to provide yet another doctor's note providing documentation that she is permanently disabled, and thus not fit for jury duty.  I am also disabled permanently, and was excused as a result, only to get another summons in the mail 2 weeks later.  Why do they not have a file of people who are permanently disabled to pull out of the jury duty pool? It's asinine.  

My son moved out of state a few years ago.  He continues to get a jury summons every few months.  I call, and tell them he no longer lives here, take him off the list.  They told me he is REQUIRED to report to them, with proof, that he lives in another state.  Yeah, he's not gong to do that.  

I, on the other hand, had a temporary medical issue, about ten years ago,  which meant I could not serve on a jury.  I sent in a doctor's note, specifying a time (I think it was 6 months) that I could not serve on a jury.   I have not been summoned since then. 

• Love 3
On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 0:29 PM, peacheslatour said:

Lol. That's why we almost never watch any of our approximately fifty two thousand, nine hundred and sixty eight dvd's any more. Too many decisions. I like to be pleasantly surprised.

My husband has a weird obsession with collecting DVD's of TV shows he likes, movies he MIGHT like, and even old Christmas movies - like the ones that are on TV multiple times.  And yet - he spends hours on the weekends watching the two TV stations that play old Law & Order episodes! 

He says when he retires, he's going to watch all those DVD's.   If he lives to be 100, he might just get through all of them. 

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 1:19 PM, MrSmith said:

This is also why you wash the tops of cans off. Rats and mice defecating on cans is not an urban legend.

When my brother was a teenager, he worked at a large grocery store.  He used to bring home those multi-packs of paper towels and toilet paper, he said the store was throwing away because there was a hole in the plastic wrap.  My mom appreciated the free supplies, so he never told her that the holes in the wrap were caused by mice and rats getting into the store room and burrowing into the middle of the rolls.  

• Love 6
On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 4:49 PM, bilgistic said:

I cannot abide that behavior in parents/kids. It probably stems from the fact that my single mother didn't let us rule the household, nor could we afford to eat out.

My sister and I were just reminiscing about this.  In a family of six kids, we rarely went out to eat.  A restaurant was a special treat on a vacation (which consisted of driving to a rented cabin, where mom would cook all the meals).  The rare trips to a restaurant, we were not allowed to order.  My dad ordered what he and my mom wanted, then he added "6 burgers"  or "6 orders of buttermilk pancakes." Tough luck if you didn't want what he decided.  

The first time I went on a date, it was my first time ordering off a menu, and I had no idea how to proceed.  

• Love 5

Upthread (page 220) I was chatting about all the medication errors that I've been experiencing. Bless the Mom and Pop pharmacy that I use. One of the pharmacists called up and gave them (the Doctor's office) a ration of crap. I finally have all my meds and even a few refills on one of them. One of these errors (inhaler) has been going on since July!!! 

Lots of ppl tell me to use Costco or another cheaper venue to get my prescriptions but I've been loyal (once I meet the deductible it's almost no cost anyway) and it paid off. I will be writing a thank you note to the pharmacist. Everyone complains when you do something wrong but it is nice to applaud someone for making something right and she deserves it for going the extra mile. (Big happy face) 

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Upthread (page 220) I was chatting about all the medication errors that I've been experiencing. Bless the Mom and Pop pharmacy that I use. One of the pharmacists called up and gave them (the Doctor's office) a ration of crap. I finally have all my meds and even a few refills on one of them. One of these errors (inhaler) has been going on since July!!! 

Lots of ppl tell me to use Costco or another cheaper venue to get my prescriptions but I've been loyal (once I meet the deductible it's almost no cost anyway) and it paid off. I will be writing a thank you note to the pharmacist. Everyone complains when you do something wrong but it is nice to applaud someone for making something right and she deserves it for going the extra mile. (Big happy face) 

Yes, people have SO much time to bitch and complain, often to beleaguered customer service reps who have little or nothing to do with the problem.  I like giving positive feedback whenever possible - it is amazing how a small gesture of thanks and friendliness can make another person's day.

Yeah, I know, I just admitted sometimes showing decency to another human being.  I shall work extra hard to re-earn my bitch card.  The next telemarketer who doesn't accept my polite "No Thanks" is a gonna get an earful!  ;-)

• Love 7

I grew up in a family of five kids, and going out to eat was something we did on a fairly regular basis, such as sometimes after church on Sunday and on short excursions to other places, such as driving to the coast, etc. On vacations, we tended to get a cabin and cook most of our meals, but we would also go out to a restaurant a few times.  Going out to eat was not an everyday experience, but it happened at least once every couple of weeks or so. I also can't remember either parent ordering for us, either. We were expected to read the menu and decide what we wanted, within reason; if one of us had tried ordering only dessert or some extremely expensive item, the parents would have intervened. I remember once requesting pancakes, only to be told by the waitress that the breakfast menu was not available and I needed to order from the regular menu; this must have been when I was around 5 and was my introduction to the concept of different menus for different times of day. My parents didn't see any point in making all of us eat the same thing, if it meant that some of us would be eating stuff we hated. From my mother's point of view, at least, she specifically didn't want us to end up on a date or in some other social setting and have no clue how to order from a menu. 

My pet peeve in restaurants right now though is wait staff who want your entire meal order 5 seconds after handing you the menu, make a show of telling you they'll "give" you a few minutes  to decide, and then disappear for 20 minutes.  Possibly even more irritating is when they don't completely disappear but are delivering items to other tables and not once do they look your way to see if you are now ready to order or if you need anything else after the meal has been delivered to you.  I shouldn't have to flag down another wait staff person to ask for my designated wait staff to come take my order; nor should I have to do the same thing to get ketchup for fries, steak sauce for steak, or silverware, FFS.  

• Love 8
1 hour ago, walnutqueen said:

Yes, people have SO much time to bitch and complain, often to beleaguered customer service reps who have little or nothing to do with the problem.  I like giving positive feedback whenever possible - it is amazing how a small gesture of thanks and friendliness can make another person's day.

Yeah, I know, I just admitted sometimes showing decency to another human being.  I shall work extra hard to re-earn my bitch card.  The next telemarketer who doesn't accept my polite "No Thanks" is a gonna get an earful!  ;-)

You naughty woman you!! 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, BookWoman56 said:

My pet peeve in restaurants right now though is wait staff who want your entire meal order 5 seconds after handing you the menu, make a show of telling you they'll "give" you a few minutes  to decide, and then disappear for 20 minutes.  Possibly even more irritating is when they don't completely disappear but are delivering items to other tables and not once do they look your way to see if you are now ready to order or if you need anything else after the meal has been delivered to you.  I shouldn't have to flag down another wait staff person to ask for my designated wait staff to come take my order; nor should I have to do the same thing to get ketchup for fries, steak sauce for steak, or silverware, FFS.  

That's why I am so very grateful for "fast casual" restaurants.  I can get something other than typical fast food and don't have to endure table service to do it.  Oh, the dread I feel when I have to tell the server I'm not ready to order yet.  It's probably how it feels to have to dig your own grave.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

When I was a teenager, I needed medication for my eyes. I don't remember why. Anyway, I decided I was curious about what I was taking, exactly, and decided to read the label. It's a good thing I did, too, because the pharmacy was unable to clearly read the prescription, failed to call the doctor for clarification, and filled the prescription with medication intended to go in the ears. I recognized the incorrect prefix and brought it to my father's attention. He ripped the pharmacy a new one, but it was only partly their fault. The doctor's writing was so bad that I'm amazed they were able to make any sense of it at all. That was back in the late 80's and I've been anxiously awaiting the arrival of a system that does not rely on hand-written prescriptions. We're most of the way there now, finally.

• Love 4

My niece is in the Miss North Carolina Teen pageant this weekend. Tonight is the finale. Going in person would have meant a 1.5-hour drive one way, a stay overnight at my parents', and a $50 ticket. None of us in the extended family went. I/we have a "complicated" (read: no) relationship with my sister.

Anyway, I found the website where I could watch the pageant online. I just went to try to watch, and found out it's $20 just to watch! I have some real issues with pageantry (I know this is a controversial topic; I'm not trying to open that can), one of which is that it's ridiculously expensive. Charging people to watch is just... That hurts out-of-town family members (which most people have) that want to support their contestant.

The pageant is near our hometown. My sister and nieces don't live there, either. So none of their friends can watch unless they pay what is likely a bit of a hardship in their economically depressed area.

Contrast that to my other sister and niece who live in Georgia. That niece competes in BMX, and her state, regional and national races are almost always online, and always free to stream. BMX is terribly expensive, too, but family members who want to observe aren't charged unless they go to races. The fees go to park maintenance (they are held in public BMX parks), not to feed the beast. The world championship was held in July at a world-class park 30 minutes from me, so I went to that. I don't think I paid more than $10 to go to the race in person.

16 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

None of my doctors hand write perscriptions anymore. They are typically transmitted electronically directly to the pharmacy, or if I need a copy to mail in (or to take to my new pharmacy  in GA) it's a print out.

Here in NC at least, controlled meds have to be written on paper scripts. My anti-anxiety med is controlled.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

Here in NC at least, controlled meds have to be written on paper scripts. My anti-anxiety med is controlled.

That would make sense. Nothing I take is controlled though I was shocked the vet gave me 15 or so 1MG xanax pills for my cats with no perscription.

Huge pet peeve: Google Chrome spell check doesn't work on my new laptop. Yes, the settings are enabled. Any suggestions?

19 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Nothing I take is controlled though I was shocked the vet gave me 15 or so 1MG xanax pills for my cats with no perscription.

Can't doctors dispense drugs directly?  I mean he's giving you a prescription and then just giving you the drugs (although I'm sure "give" isn't the right word).  My vet gave me a prescription for something.  I took it to the pharmacy.  The guy asked if I had been there before. I said "yes, but this is for my cat who hasn't had a prescription here before."  I could tell he was struggling not to laugh.  Anyway, I went back to pick it up and a different pharmacist said "do you mind if I ask what this does for a cat?"  I told him an appetite stimulant.  The first guy asked if they could use it for humans that way and the pharmacist was like "NO!".  So, I took the bottle and left, and was like "What do you humans use this for?"  I looked it up.  It's an anti-depressant.  and I thought, "hey, that's good, cause I think she's depressed, too.  I just hope she doesn't get the thoughts of suicide side effect."

• Love 7

My sister live-posted parts of the pageant on Facebook. My niece made it to the top 10 but not the five. I'm afraid this is going to be a huge letdown for her. She's worked literally for a year for this. :'(

• Love 2
2 hours ago, DeLurker said:

I was really hoping it was niece BMX in the pageant - that would totally be "you've come a long way baby".

Ha! No--that niece will never be into pageants, thankfully!

You reminded me of Virginia Slims.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Katy M said:

I just hope she doesn't get the thoughts of suicide side effect."

Based on the things my cat jumps on, off of, into, and general disregard for consequences, I'm not entirely sure I would be able to tell the difference. 

• Love 9
On 9/30/2017 at 0:41 PM, backformore said:

Yes, I recently encountered a bottle of blueberry juice smoothie, in a clear bottle, and the expiration date was printed in purple on the bottle.  Can't read it until you drink or pour it out of the bottle. 

My son moved out of state a few years ago.  He continues to get a jury summons every few months.  I call, and tell them he no longer lives here, take him off the list.  They told me he is REQUIRED to report to them, with proof, that he lives in another state.  Yeah, he's not gong to do that.  

I, on the other hand, had a temporary medical issue, about ten years ago,  which meant I could not serve on a jury.  I sent in a doctor's note, specifying a time (I think it was 6 months) that I could not serve on a jury.   I have not been summoned since then. 

If he isn't even getting the summons himself, how can he REPORT TO THEM?  And if he HAPPENS to receive it, could he send in a copy of a state ID or something as proof?  One that is signed by a notary official?  I don't know how far away he lives, but if it requires him to fly, he won't be going.

I used to get summons every three years like clockwork but then, after I wound up being the Lone Holdout in a case, they haven't asked me back since. I didn't mind doing and, in some ways, it was fascinating. However; I can't pretend to be have unadulterated grief over not getting summoned (and having to re-arrange my life and work for part of a week and being careful NOT to   read/hear media or say ONE WORD about a case until it's been done).

• Love 2
1 hour ago, PRgal said:

If he isn't even getting the summons himself, how can he REPORT TO THEM?  And if he HAPPENS to receive it, could he send in a copy of a state ID or something as proof?  One that is signed by a notary official?  I don't know how far away he lives, but if it requires him to fly, he won't be going.

Well, let's just say that this is not a young adult who is skilled at sending stuff in, taking care of needed paperwork, etc.   

I TRIED to teach him, believe me, I TRIED.  

He'll never do it.  I decided that the next jury summons, I will send back to the post office, with "Not at this address"  written on it. 

• Love 1

I have a Halloween pet peeve.  My new neighbor is putting up a rather elaborate display right next to our house.  

I get that Halloween is scary - I am OK with SCARY - like monsters, witches, that kind of thing. I don't like them, but I accept that this is what Halloween is about, for some people. 

What I don't like is gory, bloody depictions of injuries.  Like someone bleeding with an axe in their head, or a dummy made up to look like a stabbing victim. Anything that depicts a person who is hurt or killed, makes me think of the people I have known who have been hurt or killed in a violent way.  I can't be the only person who cringes at the sight of "just for fun" bloody depictions of human beings being hurt. 

It looks like Every time I leave or enter my garage, I will be seeing a bloody murder victim.  Neighbor is still out there decorating, so far it looks very realistic.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

I used to get summons every three years like clockwork but then, after I wound up being the Lone Holdout in a case, they haven't asked me back since. I didn't mind doing and, in some ways, it was fascinating. However; I can't pretend to be have unadulterated grief over not getting summoned (and having to re-arrange my life and work for part of a week and being careful NOT to   read/hear media or say ONE WORD about a case until it's been done).

I almost never got a "random" summons.  Since I served on a jury and convicted someone I get them much more frequently. 

Luckily my county has a standby program so a lot of the times you don't actually have to go. My group tends not to get called each time for whatever reason.

I did notice that one time I served that everyone who had served on a jury before got selected if they made it to the interview portion.  So I accept that I'm basically screwed if I ever have to actually go to jury duty again.

• Love 2

A huge peeve is people who refuse to register to vote because they don't want to get called for jury duty. I always tell them that my mom, who wasn't a citizen at the time, would get summonses all the time. If you work, if you own property, if you have a drivers license, if you exist and are over 18 there's a good chance you'll get a summons at some point in time. So register to vote damnit!

• Love 8
2 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

I've received jury summons fairly regularly for the past 40 years, because I have a drivers license.  I just fill out the form telling them I am not a US citizen, and have never been asked to provide proof.

I have a legitimate medical excuse but actually would love to do jury duty. People watching at its best (trying to figure out who's going to be on the jury, which lawyer is trying to bait the other attorney...ah, the possibilities!) 

1 hour ago, backformore said:

I have a Halloween pet peeve.  My new neighbor is putting up a rather elaborate display right next to our house.  

I get that Halloween is scary - I am OK with SCARY - like monsters, witches, that kind of thing. I don't like them, but I accept that this is what Halloween is about, for some people. 

What I don't like is gory, bloody depictions of injuries.  Like someone bleeding with an axe in their head, or a dummy made up to look like a stabbing victim. Anything that depicts a person who is hurt or killed, makes me think of the people I have known who have been hurt or killed in a violent way.  I can't be the only person who cringes at the sight of "just for fun" bloody depictions of human beings being hurt. 

It looks like Every time I leave or enter my garage, I will be seeing a bloody murder victim.  Neighbor is still out there decorating, so far it looks very realistic.  

Well kudos for him for being so realistic but I'm sorry for your discomfort. Does he go overboard at Christmas too? 

• Love 2

I got my first summons this spring and ended up on a murder trial! It was interesting, sad, and surprisingly stressful. I had dreams set in courtrooms for about a month after. Peeve - people on the jury who couldn't make it to the courthouse on time. Day 1, okay; Day 5, get up earlier! 

Can Sunday night be a pet peeve? I am dreading work tomorrow. 

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

A huge peeve is people who refuse to register to vote because they don't want to get called for jury duty. I always tell them that my mom, who wasn't a citizen at the time, would get summonses all the time. If you work, if you own property, if you have a drivers license, if you exist and are over 18 there's a good chance you'll get a summons at some point in time. So register to vote damnit!

The best reason for taking US citizenship is my right to serve on a jury, and VOTE - I think I'd be a rock star!!!  But then, there's that pesky little US citizenship oath, and much like Georgie Porgie, I cannot tell a lie.  If a crazed US Prez invaded my home & native land, I'd need to think long and hard about my loyalties.  Abrogation is a powerful word.

Love is messy and complicated - especially love for one's Country (or Counties).

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 4

I

59 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

I got my first summons this spring and ended up on a murder trial! It was interesting, sad, and surprisingly stressful. I had dreams set in courtrooms for about a month after. Peeve - people on the jury who couldn't make it to the courthouse on time. Day 1, okay; Day 5, get up earlier! 

I was on a jury for an attempted rape in a court house where a defendant on trial for rape for had previously (years before) had murdered several people who worked at the courthouse during an escape (via the CNN parking lot so you probably know what I'm talking about).  So pet peeve, was the bailiff guarding the defendant sleeping through the trial.  I kid you not.  The jurors were all very responsible.  The judge apologized for how badly the courtroom was run.  Apparently he was covering for another judge and was embarrassed.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

I

I was on a jury for an attempted rape in a court house where a defendant on trial for rape for had previously (years before) had murdered several people who worked at the courthouse during an escape (via the CNN parking lot so you probably know what I'm talking about).  So pet peeve, was the bailiff guarding the defendant sleeping through the trial.  I kid you not.  The jurors were all very responsible.  The judge apologized for how badly the courtroom was run.  Apparently he was covering for another judge and was embarrassed. 

Wowza!  I'm at a loss for words, but I am certain we could all benefit from more of your insights into this trial.  If not here, then surely in the General True Crime thread.

• Love 2

While not a new pet peeve, people who ask invasive rude questions are particularly annoying.  I am a woman, and I also happen to have what is typically a masculine first name (though there are quite a few women who share my name so, it's not that unusual).  I really have no issue when people are surprised that I turn out to be female when they've only seen my name written.  To be honest I've sometimes used it to my advantage because I think I've gotten a couple job interviews because it was assumed I was male (which is a whole 'nother issue for another thread).  I don't even get ticked off anymore when cashiers ask to see my ID when I pay with a credit card because they think I must be using another person's card (not that they ever say that).  I've come to relish the sheepish look on their faces when I say, "Yep, it's really my name."

No, the thing that has come to really tick me off is being asked, "So did your parents want a boy or something?"  I really really want to respond, "Yes, and to remind me every day of their disappointment in me turning out to be a girl they gave me a boy's name."  Because that is the not so subtle implication of the question, right?  I am also not particularly fond of the slightly more polite but still kind of invasive question, "So how did you wind up named, Proclone?  Is it a family name or something?"  Firstly, there is no story to my name.  My mother liked it, and she named me it, period.  Oddly enough what is a more interesting story is what I turned out not to be named, Regan.  Which my mother liked but thought it would be bad luck to name after a person (even a fictional person) who was possessed by a demon.  Secondly, even if there was some interesting story to how I got my name it's never someone I would tell it to that is asking me that question, it is always store clerks or medical secretaries who are asking.  Why yes, person I met 30 seconds ago, let me tell you the deep significance of my given name.  And while not quite as annoying I do get a bit tired of, "Oh my fourth cousin's once removed daughter  is named Proclone," or "Oh I like Proclone for a girl."  I'm so glad my name has garnered your approval.  I know people are actually trying to be nice when they say that, but it usually comes off as just a bit condescending.  And do not get me started on people who try to feminize it by making my name into cutesy nonsense syllables.  That is not my name, do not call me it, I will not answer to it.  I really just don't understand the interest in my name at all.  It's a name.  I've seen way more unusual names and I don't feel the need to comment on them when I see them, so I really don't understand the need to comment on mine.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Well kudos for him for being so realistic but I'm sorry for your discomfort. Does he go overboard at Christmas too? 

I assume he will go overboard at Christmas.  He's new in town. 

And I am fine with decorations, I actually LIKE when people get creative with their holiday decorations.  It's just - when you've known people who have had violent deaths or catastrophic injuries, the gory, injury stuff doesn't seem "fun."  It doesn't scare me, it makes me sad.   It's like, if someone you know was killed in an auto accident, and someone else thought it would be cute to re-create the scene, with dummies and fake blood. 

• Love 5

Major pet peeve...literally!  The entitled people who want to carry their pets everywhere they go (i.e. grocery stores, restaurants, etc), so they have them labeled as "service dogs".  Don't get me wrong...I understand when it's legitimate, but it's quite obvious that's not always the case...especially when they're off leash!

• Love 11
2 hours ago, MsTree said:

Major pet peeve...literally!  The entitled people who want to carry their pets everywhere they go (i.e. grocery stores, restaurants, etc), so they have them labeled as "service dogs".  Don't get me wrong...I understand when it's legitimate, but it's quite obvious that's not always the case...especially when they're off leash!

Agreed. And now that you can go online and buy all sorts of false "service dog" paraphernalia((t-shirts, leashes, collars, etc)), people are taking all kinds of advantage of this trend. And as an insane dog lover myself, it's not that I don't mind having dogs around most public areas((Hell, they're cleaner, cuter and quieter than most children)), it's just that I hate how folks are ruining this privilege for other pet owners who genuinely need their service animals and have all the proper paperwork and physical/emotional requirements for them too.

Just the other day I saw this young couple with a tiny little teacup chihuahua on a flimsy white leash that had "service dog" stamped on it. Never mind how besides giving anyone a dirty look who dared look or wave at their dog, after a few minutes I noticed the couple literally tossing this poor "service dog" of theirs to each other repeatedly like it was a tiny football((it was actually yelping in surprise---some onlookers and I were getting upset about this)). Now please correct me if I'm wrong, but is it customary to nearly hurt one's service dog because one insists on roughhousing with it and essentially scare the poor creature?

• Love 7
21 minutes ago, Sun-Bun said:

Agreed. And now that you can go online and buy all sorts of false "service dog" paraphernalia((t-shirts, leashes, collars, etc)), people are taking all kinds of advantage of this trend. And as an insane dog lover myself, it's not that I don't mind having dogs around most public areas((Hell, they're cleaner, cuter and quieter than most children)), it's just that I hate how folks are ruining this privilege for other pet owners who genuinely need their service animals and have all the proper paperwork and physical/emotional requirements for them too.

Just the other day I saw this young couple with a tiny little teacup chihuahua on a flimsy white leash that had "service dog" stamped on it. Never mind how besides giving anyone a dirty look who dared look or wave at their dog, after a few minutes I noticed the couple literally tossing this poor "service dog" of theirs to each other repeatedly like it was a tiny football((it was actually yelping in surprise---some onlookers and I were getting upset about this)). Now please correct me if I'm wrong, but is it customary to nearly hurt one's service dog because one insists on roughhousing with it and essentially scare the poor creature?

Absolutely not. That sounds more like animal abuse. Teacups are fragile little dogs, not play toys. 

• Love 4