Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

Random peeve of the day:  Hearing drawer pronounced as "draw" barely even registers with me anymore, since I've heard people from a few different areas say it that way over the years, but seeing it written that way annoys me.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

When I’m trying to check my notifications on here and I log myself out! Does this happen to anyone else when using primetimer on your phone? 

All.the.time. Sometimes my biggest peeve is me. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Those things people share on FB with captions like "Only geniuses can answer all 10 questions about the '80s!" or something! The obvious peeve is that they're likely just info-grabbers for ads and shit, but what bugs me more is do the people who share them really think they've achieved something? If so, that's both sad and annoying, haha!

Also, what's the point of the posts that say stuff like, "I am against child abuse; I bet you won't share!" Of course most people are against that, fool! Why are you, like, combatively daring people to share what is a common stance and why is it assumed it's somehow controversial to say so on FB? Do they think the rest of us are not sharing because we're all good with child abuse or whatever thing it is?

• Love 8
3 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Those things people share on FB with captions like "Only geniuses can answer all 10 questions about the '80s!" or something! The obvious peeve is that they're likely just info-grabbers for ads and shit, but what bugs me more is do the people who share them really think they've achieved something? If so, that's both sad and annoying, haha!

Yeah, most of those a 3 year old can answer all 10 questions correctly.  Then there was one that said only people with an IQ of 180 could do well.  It was a bunch of history questions.  Now I'm not saying that it's unimportant to know history, but knowing that George Washington was the first president of the US does nothing to shine the light on what your IQ is.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Ugh, people in general today. I was behind a very elderly lady at Walgreens who was trying to do a bogo offer on some vitamins. Unfortunately they only had one of the items and they kept trying to explain to her that they could give her a rain check for when it came back in stock. She kept screaming she wasn't paying for it since the sign said bogo and she was going to call her lawyer. I felt so bad for the three different employees who were being so patient and trying to help her.

Then at another stop I was backing out of a space when this lady in a truck came flying past me and I slammed on my brakes to avoid backing into her. She got out of her truck and yelled at me to watch where I was going so I didn't hurt anyone. Who does that? I see that happening all the time because people are going too fast in parking lots but I've never even thought to get out of my car and yell at anyone. Someone almost backed into me last week and I just honked and waved, it didn't even cross my mind to scream at them like a raging bitch.

• Love 7
15 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Just who are these people who have time to make to do this?! She was in a hurry just 2 seconds before!

That's how she has time to scream at people, running stop signs. passing on double yellow lines, speeding through residential neighborhoods and parking lots enables her to use the precious time she saves to tell the world how superior she is.

• Love 7

I was still in my car trying to back out of the spot so luckily she wasn't right in my face while yelling. I was so stunned I just stared at her and then kept on going--which probably pissed her off even more, lol. I could be totally petty about her appearance but I'm trying to rise above her level (it's hard).

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, emma675 said:

Ugh, people in general today. I was behind a very elderly lady at Walgreens who was trying to do a bogo offer on some vitamins. Unfortunately they only had one of the items and they kept trying to explain to her that they could give her a rain check for when it came back in stock. She kept screaming she wasn't paying for it since the sign said bogo and she was going to call her lawyer. I felt so bad for the three different employees who were being so patient and trying to help her.

Then at another stop I was backing out of a space when this lady in a truck came flying past me and I slammed on my brakes to avoid backing into her. She got out of her truck and yelled at me to watch where I was going so I didn't hurt anyone. Who does that? I see that happening all the time because people are going too fast in parking lots but I've never even thought to get out of my car and yell at anyone. Someone almost backed into me last week and I just honked and waved, it didn't even cross my mind to scream at them like a raging bitch.

I don’t get people like the ones in these situations at all. Luckily most of us honk and go about our days. Every now and then I’ve experienced a monster. Not long ago, this guy was screaming and name calling when I didn’t get out of turning lane as fast as I thought I would. I guess part of my car was still in the traveling lane, and he acted like I stole his puppy.

This happened a while ago but impatient people are a big pet peeve of mine. I have a handicap placard for my car. I had made a purchase of a fancy clutch for a wedding I was going to attend. I got into the car and for a brief moment pulled the clutch out of the bag to admire it. I heard beeping behind me. I glance in the rearview mirror but don't see anything or anyone. I turn on the ignition ( it was Summer and the windows were closed). More beeping and I glance again and there is a car in the parking lot waiting for my handicapped spot. I never know what the etiquette is in these situations. What if I were the driver and the handicapped person was still in the store? Would I be obliged to tell this beeping idiot I am not ready to leave quite yet?  I've been in parking lots where a person was in the car and in a handicapped spot and I'd never dream of honking my horn to tell them to hurry up.  

I've also been walking out of the supermarket with the shopping cart and apparently was walking too slowly and on several occasions people have swooped by me and cut me off in their hurry to exit.  BTW I am not elderly but have knee problems and walk with a cane.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

I never know what the etiquette is in these situations.

I think it's the same of every other spot, moreso for a limited quantity spot like a spaces for people with disabilities: if someone is waiting you get situated, seatbelt on and vacate the spot. I realize you may not have known someone was waiting in this situation and may have been scouting so they saw you get into the car and prepare to leave before stopping to look at something so they beeped to alert you to know they were there. I would have, and have done the same thing when someone is taking far too long to vacate their spot in a packed lot. 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I think it's the same of every other spot, moreso for a limited quantity spot like a spaces for people with disabilities: if someone is waiting you get situated, seatbelt on and vacate the spot. I realize you may not have known someone was waiting in this situation and may have been scouting so they saw you get into the car and prepare to leave before stopping to look at something so they beeped to alert you to know they were there. I would have, and have done the same thing when someone is taking far too long to vacate their spot in a packed lot. 

I tend to get in my car, turn it on and get going as fast as I can. However, the parking spot is your spot until you leave it.  If you want to take a nap in your car, daydream about tulips, or write out a grocery list for your next stop, go for it.

I remember one time I worked somewhere downtown.  We didn't have a special parking lot, we parked in the town lots.  So, I had somewhere to go after work and it had been snowing all morning.  Like a lot. So, I went out during my lunch break to get the snow off my car so I would be ready to just drive out when the time came.  A car came and the driver was waiting for me while I brushed the snow off my car. I tried waving her off a couple of times and even yelled "I'm not leaving".  She still sat there.  I finished getting the snow off, threw the brush back inside, locked my car and headed back to work.  You should have heard the honking and she rolled down her car to yell at me.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I tried waving her off a couple of times and even yelled "I'm not leaving".  She still sat there. 

That's totally on her! 

On the flip side I have endless patience for people who are moving as fast as *they* can. I made the mistake of going to Costco on a Saturday afternoon. Found a promising spot with two adults and a couple infants loading up their car. The man was loading up the trunk and the woman was loading up the kids. It took awhile because of all the things but things take time. Honking won't make them go any faster.

• Love 9
14 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I think it's the same of every other spot, moreso for a limited quantity spot like a spaces for people with disabilities: if someone is waiting you get situated, seatbelt on and vacate the spot.

Yes, please.  Do not browse your radio presets, check Facebook to see what your friends had for lunch, put on more lipstick, etc.  When someone is waiting, get a move on, and do the rest while driving/when you get to your next stop.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Yes, please.  Do not browse your radio presets, check Facebook to see what your friends had for lunch, put on more lipstick, etc.  When someone is waiting, get a move on, and do the rest while driving/when you get to your next stop.

Nope, sorry.  If I come out of the grocery store and am just about to leave and my phone rings, I see it's my sister who NEVER calls, I'm going to think it's important. I'm going to answer it, and I'm not going to do that while driving.  Again, unless there's a rule that says x minutes parking, that spot is mine until I'm ready to leave.

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, GaT said:

I move faster, not slower, when someone is waiting for my spot, because I think it's rude not to.  So I've never been honked at, but, if that happened, I'd probably be like the people in that one study who took even longer when they got honked at.  Because why are you honking?  Maybe there's a reason the driver is taking so long.  Or maybe she or he is just being an asshole, but, if so, honking is only going to exacerbate that.

• Love 8

I take longer if they start waiting when I unlock my car and start loading it because there is no reason for those people to sit in the driving lane and wait for me (usually blocking two or three cars behind them from moving on) when there are plenty of other spaces available. They just want one five steps closer to the door. (I am not talking about the handicapped spaces because I don't park there because I don't have a permit for them.) If the people would just drive on past and park, they'd be in the store by the time I loaded up all my groceries and pulled out.

One of my biggest parking lot peeves is drivers who see someone walking to out a car who then sit and wait until that person loads up his or her stuff, gets in the car puts a seatbelt on, etc., and then pulls out -- all while cars are lining up behind the driver who is waiting patiently but blocking traffic.

• Love 8

People who use excessive amounts of tape.  My Stepmother sent me two boxes, not only were they taped within an inch of their lives,  but, each item inside the boxes once through the gift wrap that was encased all the way around in tape, if it was in another box or opened in any way was taped shut all the way around.  Opening presents should not be exhausting!

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, auntlada said:

I take longer if they start waiting when I unlock my car and start loading it because there is no reason for those people to sit in the driving lane and wait for me (usually blocking two or three cars behind them from moving on) when there are plenty of other spaces available. They just want one five steps closer to the door. (I am not talking about the handicapped spaces because I don't park there because I don't have a permit for them.) If the people would just drive on past and park, they'd be in the store by the time I loaded up all my groceries and pulled out.

One of my biggest parking lot peeves is drivers who see someone walking to out a car who then sit and wait until that person loads up his or her stuff, gets in the car puts a seatbelt on, etc., and then pulls out -- all while cars are lining up behind the driver who is waiting patiently but blocking traffic.

It's possible that person has been circling for awhile and you're the first spot they've seen. Or maybe they don't see the other spots around you and the spot you have looks to be the only spot they may have the chance at without circling. Or they could be like my mom, who will circle because while she doesn't have a disabled placard it is difficult for her to walk through the parking lot to the store, shop then walk back to her car with a cart. Help at the store isn't always available and it's just easier for her to wait for a spot that's closer. Besides, taking longer because someone is waiting is just causing more cars to back up behind them. It doesn't take an average person all that long to load up a car and return the cart. It's not unreasonable to wait for a spot.

• Love 3

These people aren't circling, though. You can see them drive into the parking lot, and I can see lots of spots that are really no farther away than mine. If it's Christmas at the mall, then, yeah, I'll move. But there is nowhere in the town I live in that is so packed it has no parking places. The closest is the first Saturday of the month at Walmart (we have a lot of people here who work for schools, universities and government), and even then you can find plenty of parking spaces. I think many of these people are like the people my mother talked about knowing when she and my dad first moved to a small town in the 1960s. They'd go downtown, and if they couldn't park in front of the store they were going to, they'd just go home and come back later.

• Love 2

I had to "stalk" someone for a parking spot last night.  The lot I park in when I go into town usually has tons of spaces, but I guess something was going on last night, because it was completely packed.  Drivers were circling like sharks.  I finally saw someone who looked like she was headed to her car.  I asked very politely if she was leaving, and I waited very patiently while she (unhurriedly) got in her car and left.  It was all very civil.  

And I generally don't mind being stalked for my spot when I'm leaving a packed lot, but if someone honks or yells or is otherwise rude, then, yep, I'm going to be rude right back and take my own sweet time vacating my spot.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Bastet said:

Yes to all this BUT imo beeping/honking one's horn is RUDE. I have always rolled down my window and asked politely if they were vacating the spot. Lots of times they say "no" b/c they are waiting for someone.

ETA: The supermarket I frequent has a huge lot that it shares with Walmart. Nobody parks in the hinterlands so when I vacate the handicapped spot I head there. I like to check my receipt in case there are any mistakes. I do a large shop every 2 weeks or so, so the receipt is long. Mistakes have been made so I'd rather go to customer service before getting home. I feel it's the polite thing to do as handicapped spaces are in high demand.

Edited by ECM1231
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, auntlada said:

Actually, along the lines of my snow removing story, years and years and years ago I was Christmas shopping at the mall.  I don't remember what, but I had bought something semi-large but was not done shopping.  I decided to take what I had so far out to the car.  someone followed me and again, was not happy that I pulled a bait-and-switch and did not vacate my space.

2 hours ago, Katy M said:

Actually, along the lines of my snow removing story, years and years and years ago I was Christmas shopping at the mall.  I don't remember what, but I had bought something semi-large but was not done shopping.  I decided to take what I had so far out to the car.  someone followed me and again, was not happy that I pulled a bait-and-switch and did not vacate my space.

If I need to just load stuff in the trunk and continue shopping, I wave them on.  Heck, the way things are today in America, I don't want to get anyone ticked off at me 😐

• Love 7

Another parking peeve I have is able-bodied people at events with limited parking close to the building not being willing to park a little farther away and save the close parking for people who really need it.

We had a work meeting at an off-site place in town with limited parking at the meeting place, but plenty of parking a block or two away. I parked a block away in the large parking lot of a church that had given us permission to use the lot (it was a weekday), but I was the only one who parked there. Most people tried to get there early to park as close to the door as possible, and they weren't people who were unable to walk. (I know because I work with them.)

• Love 5

I know I’ve got plenty of pet peeves, but one thing that really annoys me is people who constantly whine, it’s like everything is a pet peeve! No one likes a Debbie downer. I have a coworker who whines when he’s busy, whines when he’s not a part of a project, whines when coworkers are too social, whines when he’s not included in conversations. It’s always something. He also angrily yells on the phone sometimes when he’s upset handling his personal calls. It’s like he’s incapable of being happy and pouts like a child when he doesn’t get his way.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, auntlada said:

Another parking peeve I have is able-bodied people at events with limited parking close to the building not being willing to park a little farther away and save the close parking for people who really need it.

I hate when I'm with my two best friends and they insist we drive around and drive around to find a close spot. We are not only able bodied.... but these two have spent thousands on work out equipment!! I mean, come ON!

• Love 8
11 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Heck, the way things are today in America, I don't want to get anyone ticked off at me 😐

Yesterday I agreed with you.  Tomorrow I will probably agree with you again.  This morning I reached a level of not giving a shit that probably made me the person every one should be worrying about ticking off.  

So here's what happened.

I'm driving to work.  Its still dark.  Its raining.  I'm on a four lane road.    This is residential / office area with entry and exist from the road on both sides.  There are four stop lights on 3-4 miles of road. I am going the speed limit.

I look into the rear view and there is a car riding my bumper.  It was immediately clear that this was one of those dumb asses that needs to drive twenty miles above the speed limit to get to the next stop light faster.  A show off.  Normally, I reasonably get out of the way of this kind of driver.  But, there was a car pacing me in another lane and the conditions didn't make it safe to speed up to try to lane change and get out of the way.  And this was one of those drivers that there is no speed that is fast enough if it means you are still in front of them.

So I laid on the horn to try to get the dumb ass to back off. Dumb ass did not back off. 

Because apparently this driver is in such a rush to get where they are going that they can't see that its hazardous for them to drive like that and me to get out of their way and the only thing its going to get them is sitting at the stop light in front of me instead of behind me.

So then this dip shit decides to flash his high beams. 

And that's when I snapped.  I'm not going to do the usual thing and flip this driver off when they can't really see me and white knuckle it while hoping we don't end up in an accident until our trips diverge or the other lane clears.

Nope.  I laid on the horn to get his attention.  Then I opened the sun roof (its still raining by the way) and let the one finger salute shoot up into the air.

I believe at this point, the driver decided that I was in fact crazier than him and could not be intimidated.  Because he changed lanes.

And I took great joy that he ended up about four cars back  compared to where he was when behind me.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 10

Driving in some dense fog the other night. A car got on my ass, there were no cars in front of me.  I maintained my speed. He passed at the next opportunity, and hit  his brakes. Why? Because following my tail lights made it easy for him. Once he got in front of me he couldn’t see crap. 🤦‍♀️

• LOL 6
  • Love 5
15 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I know I’ve got plenty of pet peeves, but one thing that really annoys me is people who constantly whine, it’s like everything is a pet peeve! No one likes a Debbie downer. I have a coworker who whines when he’s busy, whines when he’s not a part of a project, whines when coworkers are too social, whines when he’s not included in conversations. It’s always something. He also angrily yells on the phone sometimes when he’s upset handling his personal calls. It’s like he’s incapable of being happy and pouts like a child when he doesn’t get his way.

rachel dratch snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

I'm full of peeves this morning.

We got a dusting of snow and ice yesterday. I had a hair appointment at one of the local hair schools this morning at 9:30. I didn't hear from them yesterday afternoon, so I figured they'd be operating on a normal schedule. I went out to scrape my car (parking lot is dry) and got in the car, checked my phone, and saw the school had left a message. They are on a two-hour delay. Gah! They couldn't have made that decision yesterday? They couldn't have called earlier? I could've slept later!

And in other annoyances, I'm only on the schedule for 18 hours next week. My doctor had written me out of work this week, to return next week. I had been trying (trying is the key word here--it was ROUGH) to work here and there and had just been aggravating my wreck injuries. I hurt myself further at work when I instinctively reached for a falling vase in the flower rack and pulled an already damaged chest muscle/ligament. Anyway, I am usually on the schedule for 30 hours, so I guess I'm being "punished" for being out. Fuck that place.

It doesn't matter in the long run because I'm leaving (the other job at Retail Giant FINALLY came through, and I start 3/3(!!!), but it's going to take a LONG time to get out of the deep financial hole I'm in--like, I don't know how I'm going to pay my March bills since I barely worked this month due to the car wreck.

• Love 15

Unsafe drivers irritate the crap out of me but people who don't pull over or make a hole for emergency vehicles piss me right the fuck off. Years ago I decided that all drivers driving like idiots are trying to get to the hospital or the home to say goodbye to a dying loved one, or to get to the birth of their child and it's really helped my stress level.

I'm off to Costco now. The parking lot will either be packed or dead. Wish me luck!

• Love 9

How did I miss @bilgistic's news?! Congratulations! While it's not idea I hope it's better for you than your current job!

--

Made it back from Costco unscathed. People were stalking spots, but thankfully the aisles are wide enough that cars can go around. My Costco peeve is people who can't navigate that gas line. It's not tandem in & out. If you happen to be done at the same time as the person in front of you, great, otherwise use the wide-ass aisle and pull out so the car behind you can start pumping. On that note, people who don't park close to the pump which prevents other cars from using the aforementioned wide-ass aisle. The pumping lanes are wide enough that you don't have to hug the pump but there is no reason to stop your car in the wide-ass aisle! There's even a line for guidance!

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

There's even a line for guidance!

See, that's where I can't take it.  Dumb and/or thoughtless?  That happens all the time.

Can't keep your car between the lines? What the hell is wrong with you?

cars fail GIF

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

My Costco peeve is people who can't navigate that gas line. It's not tandem in & out. If you happen to be done at the same time as the person in front of you, great, otherwise use the wide-ass aisle and pull out so the car behind you can start pumping. On that note, people who don't park close to the pump which prevents other cars from using the aforementioned wide-ass aisle. The pumping lanes are wide enough that you don't have to hug the pump but there is no reason to stop your car in the wide-ass aisle! There's even a line for guidance!

I'll add a third: At "my" Costco, the gas station has three pumps in each aisle, and there is an electronic sign at the entrance to the aisle showing either open or occupied for each of those three pumps (in case you can't see around/over a big-ass vehicle) AND each aisle has ample room so that if the middle one opens up while the front and rear ones are occupied, you can pull into it without needing to parallel park.  And yet.  Half the time when the middle one opens up, the Costco employee has to come over and direct the person at the front of the line to get their ass into that slot rather than sitting there waiting to be able to just pull straight into the last one.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

See, that's where I can't take it.  Dumb and/or thoughtless?  That happens all the time.

Can't keep your car between the lines? What the hell is wrong with you?

cars fail GIF

You know what that looks like to me?

One car decided to do the I'm going to use two spots so none of you scratch my precious and another driver said $#@% that, and parked as if that car was in a single spot and then others followed that lead.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

You know what that looks like to me?

One car decided to do the I'm going to use two spots so none of you scratch my precious and another driver said $#@% that, and parked as if that car was in a single spot and then others followed that lead.

Yeah, that was pretty obviously a domino effect.  Either that  or the local water supply was poisoned with bad parking virus.

• LOL 2

Someone tailgating me? I turn on my blinking hazard lights and keep my speed. Took another driver half a minute to figure out if I'm going to stop in the middle of all that traffic.

My current pet peeve has to do with Primetimer. I usually get a digest of the shows I follow in the evening. And then I get an identical digest. And then... one day there were SIX copies of the same digest. I'm down to two at the moment, but I have no clue how I managed that.

Edited by IrishPirate
  • Love 1

Walgreens drives me to drink. They bought out Rite Aid, which I loved--well, my local store, which had pharmacists and techs who knew me and who had sense. After the buyout, my local store was closed rather than converted to a Walgreens like most of the rest of them were. I go to a Walgreens that is near me in the opposite direction (the "seamless" transition of my meds was a nightmare), but they and Walgreens as a whole are the absolute worst.

I often have meds "on file" that my psych doc has sent in early (before insurance will pay for them/before I need refills) because I see her every month to two months for med checks. I'll go to refill one of those meds through the Walgreens website and then go to pick it up after a day or so. It won't be there because, as they told me, "the site doesn't recognize refills on meds that are on file". What? The med is listed on my profile online and I can tell the site to refill it, but it doesn't tell the store to refill it? OK? So, the online refill portal is useless for half my medication regimen? (The tech suggested I call Walgreens customer service and complain. Sure.) OK, so I started calling in my refills. Giant, heaving sigh, because apparently the pharmacists and techs don't check in the system first to see if I have existing meds on file before they put in a call to my doctor! I never had this issue with Rite Aid.

And when I go to pick up my meds, there's always only one tech and one pharmacist working. That was fine at the much smaller Rite Aid that was in a different area and had a smaller customer base. This Walgreens is in a major shopping center that sits smack in the middle of an enormous residential and business area. There's always a wait. The pharmacist almost never waits on a customer, again, unlike Rite Aid, where I knew the pharmacist. And yeah, I get that the Walgreens pharmacist is probably swamped since there's no one but her and a tech on for a bajillion customers, so there's no good solution other than, you know, having more people working.

The air conditioning was out for several weeks in the store this summer. A giant company that just bought out another company can't immediately fix the AC in a busy store in the middle of summer in NC?

Oddly, there's no CVS or other drugstore near me or I would switch. There are some inside of grocery stores near me, but they tend to have much shorter hours. The one good thing about Walgreens is their hours.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Walgreens drives me to drink. They bought out Rite Aid, which I loved--well, my local store, which had pharmacists and techs who knew me and who had sense. After the buyout, my local store was closed rather than converted to a Walgreens like most of the rest of them were. I go to a Walgreens that is near me in the opposite direction (the "seamless" transition of my meds was a nightmare), but they and Walgreens as a whole are the absolute worst.

I often have meds "on file" that my psych doc has sent in early (before insurance will pay for them/before I need refills) because I see her every month to two months for med checks. I'll go to refill one of those meds through the Walgreens website and then go to pick it up after a day or so. It won't be there because, as they told me, "the site doesn't recognize refills on meds that are on file". What? The med is listed on my profile online and I can tell the site to refill it, but it doesn't tell the store to refill it? OK? So, the online refill portal is useless for half my medication regimen? (The tech suggested I call Walgreens customer service and complain. Sure.) OK, so I started calling in my refills. Giant, heaving sigh, because apparently the pharmacists and techs don't check in the system first to see if I have existing meds on file before they put in a call to my doctor! I never had this issue with Rite Aid.

And when I go to pick up my meds, there's always only one tech and one pharmacist working. That was fine at the much smaller Rite Aid that was in a different area and had a smaller customer base. This Walgreens is in a major shopping center that sits smack in the middle of an enormous residential and business area. There's always a wait. The pharmacist almost never waits on a customer, again, unlike Rite Aid, where I knew the pharmacist. And yeah, I get that the Walgreens pharmacist is probably swamped since there's no one but her and a tech on for a bajillion customers, so there's no good solution other than, you know, having more people working.

The air conditioning was out for several weeks in the store this summer. A giant company that just bought out another company can't immediately fix the AC in a busy store in the middle of summer in NC?

Oddly, there's no CVS or other drugstore near me or I would switch. There are some inside of grocery stores near me, but they tend to have much shorter hours. The one good thing about Walgreens is their hours.

Have your doc send your scripts to CVS online. That's what I did and now they mail me all my meds. They take even my crappy insurance and I never have to sit around at the pharmacy again.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Right now, panic buyers and the corresponding sellers who engage in price gouging are a major peeve. My DIL is from Hong Kong, and still has some immediate family members there, including her mother who is not in the best of health. I'm not sure what the authorities are telling people in Hong Kong about precautions for coronavirus, but my DIL's family there ordered some surgical masks. Unfortunately, the ones they received were manufactured in mainland China and showed unmistakable signs of having been previously used and just put into new packaging. My DIL and son assumed they could buy some here in San Antonio and ship them to Hong Kong, but that's been a major challenge. Several of the stores they have gone to have been completely sold out, and the sales clerks have told them that in many cases, one or two individuals have come in and bought up several cases of the surgical masks at once, so there's no stock left. WTF? Yes, admittedly here in San Antonio, in fact less than 5 miles from my house, we have some US citizens who were airlifted from Wuhan and I believe, now some additional people who were airlifted from one of the cruise ships. To date, there is one confirmed case of coronavirus here in SA, and that person is hospitalized in quarantine conditions; the refugees who are still waiting out the quarantine are in confined quarters at the air force base. Here, as with other places, the general public is in more danger from just  normal flu than from this virus, yet obviously there are people doing panic buying of surgical masks and other items.

As for the price gouging, I looked online for surgical masks about a week ago, and many online sources are sold out, but the ones who are not are often charging outrageous prices. I realize there's a shortage because the US tends to import these items from China, and apparently the US government didn't listen to the sole manufacturer in TX who's been telling them for years that if a pandemic occurs, his company doesn't have the capacity to meet the demand that would occur. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
On 2/13/2020 at 7:43 PM, Bastet said:

I don't call anyone back who doesn't leave a message.  If it's just a missed call, I figure they decided to send me an email instead, or it was something that was only relevant if I was free to talk right then, so it's now moot.  When someone leaves me a message, I know what they need to talk to me about, and can thus prioritize my return calls.

I have no idea.  The TL;dr crowd is so averse to spending more than three seconds of their precious time on any one thing that a sentence consisting of complete words is anathema?

What's TL;dr?

On 2/15/2020 at 4:17 PM, Bastet said:

Random peeve of the day:  Hearing drawer pronounced as "draw" barely even registers with me anymore, since I've heard people from a few different areas say it that way over the years, but seeing it written that way annoys me.

Can I ask how you pronounce "drawer"?

On 2/19/2020 at 10:36 AM, Bastet said:

I hate this too, but please don't do it while driving.

• Love 1