Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

I have a seasonal (holiday?) pet peeve:  People who get the plastic baby in their slice of Mardi Gras King Cake and don't admit it (or do anything about it).  Let me 'splain--

I don't live in New Orleans, but I do live within the region of the south where we celebrate Mardi Gras. I brought a King Cake (with strawberry/cream cheese filling!) to work a couple of days ago and whoever got the baby didn't say anything.  Maybe someone will show up on Monday with a Cake, but in years past that hasn't happened.  I've even watched people cut wafer thin slices of cake so that they wouldn't get a piece with the baby in it. Different people have different ideas of what happens when you get the baby in the King Cake, but I was always told that means you not only have good luck, you're supposed to bring the next Cake. It's just a little petty peeve, but if I get the baby I bring a cake.

Here's some information on King Cake for any of you who aren't familiar with it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_cake

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I always thought getting the baby meant you brought the King Cake next year, not a few days later. But I've never gotten the baby piece before.

That's what some people do.  I wouldn't even consider it a peeve if I hadn't seen people try so hard to avoid getting the baby.  Oh, well.  I'm trying to stay on my diet, so I shouldn't be looking for any more King Cake anyway! 

Unreasonable offers. I have a few things listed on Poshmark. They're priced fairly but a little higher than I'll accept because I know people will make offers.

I have a NWT item listed for $15. It retail's for $40 (is still for sale).

Someone offered $8. Nope. Not even I'm the ballpark. I countered at $14 because I'm just annoyed with that initial offer. They came back with $9. Nope. Stayed at $14.

Someone else lowballed it too and asked for free shipping. After I said no to free shipping they became condescending so my counter offer was $40. 

I'd rather give it away instead of netting $6, or $0 if I eat the shipping. Even more so if I see the person basically flips their deals for profit.

• Love 6

SO MANY PEEVES with online selling and buying for, man! Like, come on, sellers--put sizes and measurements! I am a sucker for certain kinds of clothing but if I need to go into a back and forth just to see if the jeans are long enough, you lost me! And stop saying "vintage" when you mean "retro"!

• Love 4

The national news keeps hyping all these big storms and the graphics always make it look like it's headed for me...and then pfft. WHERE ARE MY SNOW DAYS you god damned liars!?

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

BLACK KITCHEN APPLIANCES! For years, in my "take what you get" apartment existence, I really thought I would like black appliances. But I was wrong. Those bitches just look so dusty all the time--though it probably doesn't help that our AC/heat vent is on the wall right across from our stove.

• Love 5

My peeve regarding kitchen appliance finishes is the trend of going gaga over stainless steel has made white - WHITE! - a special order finish on a lot of high-end models (and not even available on some of them).  Hey, for anyone who likes the look of stainless steel, more power to them.  It's not my preferred finish, but it's indeed a good look for a number of color schemes.  But people who watch way too much HGTV and not only think it's the best choice for every kitchen but, far worse, believe a stainless steel finish means the appliance is a higher-quality unit, functionally, than a black or white one have altered the available options.  And, yeah, that's the way the market works, blah, blah, blah.  If it was largely based on something more informed, I wouldn't be annoyed.

• Love 5
On 2/5/2020 at 3:22 PM, TattleTeeny said:

SO MANY PEEVES with online selling and buying for, man! Like, come on, sellers--put sizes and measurements! I am a sucker for certain kinds of clothing but if I need to go into a back and forth just to see if the jeans are long enough, you lost me! And stop saying "vintage" when you mean "retro"!

Didn't these euphemisms start with the fantastic "pre-owned" car ads? How many years ago was that? It still bugs me!

• Love 2

Dropping by with two peeves that struck today and so my ire is fresh.

1. If you call me and I'm not able to pick up the phone, kindly leave a voicemail if you'd like me to call you back. Please do not keep calling like a bunny-boiling psycho and then passively-aggressively stop by my desk to say, 'Oh, you ARE here...' Or, worse, say to me a few days later, "Did you see that I called?" Yes, I am here and yes I can see a number on my caller ID, but since you didn't leave a voice mail, or send an email, I have zero idea how urgent your question is or what it entails, so fuck right off.

And no, it doesn't count to leave a vm that goes something like, 'Hi, Potato...give me a call, k, thks.' I don't mean to be a princess about the whole thing, but for god's sake, how hard is it to say, "hi, potato, please call me as soon as you can. I really need to talk to you." or "Hi, I have a question about X, please give me a call back." 

2. The office bathroom air freshener is there for a reason. Just sayin'. In fact, we offer TWO kinds: the industrial strength Glade that will make you pass out from the onslaught of apple and spice OR the kinder and gentler essential oil based Poopourri with a calm citrus scent guaranteed to be gentle on sensitivities, yet effective for the olfactory nerves. But you have to use one or the other, OK? Please? I'm not judging anyone's GI; I just don't want to hurl while voiding my bladder nor do I want to have to resort to bringing a book of matches to the bathroom with me. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 10

The office bathroom air freshener is there for a reason. 

We went for a drive the other day and stopped at a 7-11.  I went in the bathroom and noticed they had a plug-in air freshener.  It had a one of those clear acrylic cases around it with a lock on it so nobody could steal it.  What a world we live in if that is a concern.  There must have been some small holes in the case or I'm not sure how the scent got into the room.

I know we've discussed this topic in here before, but I'm bringing it up one more time because it happened to me again today. If you are in a parking garage with a line of cars behind you and it takes you FOUR ATTEMPTS to back into a parking space, while all of the other cars are stuck waiting because there is no way to go around you, you are an idiot and cannot park to save your life and I'm pretty sure at least one of the drivers behind me is going to key your car at some point today because the people in the back were mad

Edited by emma675d
  • LOL 2
  • Love 7

The office bathroom air freshener is there for a reason. Just sayin'. In fact, we offer TWO kinds: the industrial strength Glade that will make you pass out from the onslaught of apple and spice OR the kinder and gentler essential oil based Poopourri with a calm citrus scent guaranteed to be gentle on sensitivities, yet effective for the olfactory nerves. But you have to use one or the other, OK? Please? I'm not judging anyone's GI; I just don't want to hurl while voiding my bladder nor do I want to have to resort to bringing a book of matches to the bathroom with me. 

I was an office manager for an engineering firm and it was all guys. They used to use the old "light a match" trick and let me tell you It. Does. Not. Work. That's a tip from me to you, my friends.

• LOL 6
  • Love 5
35 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I know we've discussed this topic in here before, but I'm bringing it up one more time because it happened to me again today. If you are in a parking garage with a line of cars behind you and it takes you FOUR ATTEMPTS to back into a parking space, while all of the other cars are stuck waiting because there is no way to go around you, you are an idiot and cannot park to save your life and I'm pretty sure at least one of the drivers behind me is going to key your car at some point today because the people in the back were mad

It probably also means that space is too small for your vehicle. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, emma675 said:

And if you spend all that time backing your precious HumVee or whatever into a spot and you STILL manage to park over the lines, I am gonna wedge my car in beside you so tightly (while still in my space, by the way) that you'll need to grease yourself up with Crisco to get into your car. My car looks like shit anyway, so you do what you want with your keys or your door. Normally I'm a big fan of defensive driving, but that bullshit? Uh-uh. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 2

You guys, out of nowhere today, the IT guy at work decided I needed a new laptop (and new monitors and keyboard)--and YAY because he was quite correct. BUT, oh my goodness...the wire mess he created at my desk as he disconnected the old one and set up the new one was torturous! They were everywhere, tangled around everything--I could not ignore it and work like normal, haha! And he was so nice and helpful otherwise that I waited until he left and unplugged everything and did it neatly!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6

I'm trying to pull a selection from 50 years worth of photographs for a slideshow/video at my parents' anniversary party, and I swear my parents are only in a picture together once every five years!  It's always one of them taking the picture, and then every once in a blue moon there's one my grandparents, a friend, or I took, so they're both in it.

I could do one hell of a photographic retrospective of my life, or of their various cats, but trying to chronicle their life in pictures is not working like I thought it would (yes, of course, the cats and I through the years will be included, but I'd like my parents to be in most of the pictures with us!).  And, good grief, the lack of organization in the photo albums - some are chronological, but, I'm not exaggerating, there was one where three pages apart I was a newborn and turning sixteen.  Plus there are pictures I know exist, but aren't in the albums or in the random envelopes my mom pulled out of a nightstand drawer (?!), so where are they?  And who the hell are some of these people?!

I can't with people who go around taking constant selfies and/or who focus on documenting practically every activity of their lives rather than actually experiencing them, but there is really something to be said for how easy it is for even the most unskilled to take, save, and print a photo today.  The '70s photos in these albums aren't all that great or plentiful.

Oh, and also?  You do not realize how old you've gotten and how much weight you've gained until you look over photographs.  Fucking middle age, man.

• Love 12

@Bastet, I encountered similar challenges when doing a biographical sketch for each of my parents for their respective 75th birthdays. Each bio sketch pamphlet was around 8-10 pages, with photos spanning their lives. One thing I learned while doing that was to consult with them and their siblings to put some damn captions on the various photos, especially the older ones with people I didn’t recognize. That effort has paid off now as I’m going through old photo albums in my mother’s belongings. I would not have a clue who some of these extended family members and friends were without the captions added 15 or so years ago. 

• Useful 2

On 2/11/2020 at 12:20 AM, Bastet said:

Hey, for anyone who likes the look of stainless steel, more power to them.  It's not my preferred finish, but it's indeed a good look for a number of color schemes. 

I'm with you, I prefer white. When I was getting my house ready to go on the market the first thing my Realtor noticed was my all white appliances, he asked if I was leaving them or taking them with me, I said I would be leaving them. He respond "Eh, the new owners will probably replace them with stainless steel ones." WTF. 

20 hours ago, potatoradio said:

Dropping by with two peeves that struck today and so my ire is fresh.

1. If you call me and I'm not able to pick up the phone, kindly leave a voicemail if you'd like me to call you back. Please do not keep calling like a bunny-boiling psycho and then passively-aggressively stop by my desk to say, 'Oh, you ARE here...' Or, worse, say to me a few days later, "Did you see that I called?" Yes, I am here and yes I can see a number on my caller ID, but since you didn't leave a voice mail, or send an email, I have zero idea how urgent your question is or what it entails, so fuck right off.

And no, it doesn't count to leave a vm that goes something like, 'Hi, Potato...give me a call, k, thks.' I don't mean to be a princess about the whole thing, but for god's sake, how hard is it to say, "hi, potato, please call me as soon as you can. I really need to talk to you." or "Hi, I have a question about X, please give me a call back." 

2. The office bathroom air freshener is there for a reason. Just sayin'. In fact, we offer TWO kinds: the industrial strength Glade that will make you pass out from the onslaught of apple and spice OR the kinder and gentler essential oil based Poopourri with a calm citrus scent guaranteed to be gentle on sensitivities, yet effective for the olfactory nerves. But you have to use one or the other, OK? Please? I'm not judging anyone's GI; I just don't want to hurl while voiding my bladder nor do I want to have to resort to bringing a book of matches to the bathroom with me. 

1. Hell yes to this!!! If you don't leave a message with a reason you need to talk to me then I'm not going to rush to call you back. My mother is forever doing the "Hi Bex, give me a call when you get this!" even after I've told her to please tell me what she is calling about so I can gauge when I will have time to discuss it with her! If it's a 5 min conversation I can call on my break, but if it's going to be a 30 minute dissertation on some random topic I will wait until I get home! 

2. Thank god our workplace ladies room has a great ventilation system, they won't let us use air fresheners due to someone's sensitivity to strong scents. 

• Love 7
22 hours ago, BookWoman56 said:

One thing I learned while doing that was to consult with them and their siblings to put some damn captions on the various photos, especially the older ones with people I didn’t recognize. That effort has paid off now as I’m going through old photo albums in my mother’s belongings. I would not have a clue who some of these extended family members and friends were without the captions added 15 or so years ago.

That brings to mind another little peeve - since I don't care about photographs of people I don't know, I have asked my mom to whom she wants me to give the really old photos after she's gone, and she hasn't come up with an answer.  I'd feel bad just tossing all that stuff, but since I don't know who'd appreciate it, it would be more work for me to poll the extended family after she's dead than if she - who knows who else in that group (we're both only children, but both her parents were one of a gazillion kids from immigrant farming families) is interested in genealogy, when I (decidedly uninterested) do not - arranged that in advance.  There is a local outpost in the city whence both my maternal grandparents came of a historical society about their particular immigrant group (Germans from Russia), but if those pictures are among the unlabeled (and I don't know if they are), they won't do them any good.

Moving on to today's peeve - my favorite local bakery does not do customized cakes.  They imply they do on their website, but what they really offer is special order cakes - options beyond what regularly appear in the bakery, where you decide your flavor but pick from pre-selected designs.  None of them are anything we want for the anniversary party.  It's not remotely a disaster; there is another longstanding family bakery that will do basically anything we want, decoratively, and has great-tasting cake options underneath it, so we'll meet with them tomorrow.  It's just they have great-tasting versions of pretty typical cakes, while the place we originally wanted has a wide variety of truly excellent, more-interesting options so the flavor would have had the memorable wow factor.

Oh, well - this is the bakery that did my parents' wedding cake 50 years ago, so that's kind of cool.

• Love 1
On 2/11/2020 at 1:37 PM, potatoradio said:

1. If you call me and I'm not able to pick up the phone, kindly leave a voicemail if you'd like me to call you back.

I have a pet peeve is sort of like that. It's when people I don't know IM me and just say "Got time for a quick call?" I always reply "Regarding?" and it usually turns out it's something I can't help them with anyway! Seems like it would be pretty easy to say "Hi, I'm Biff from accounting and have a question about whirlygigs" so I can reply "Hey, Biff - Sorry but I don't work in the whirlygig world." It's a small thing, but it bugs.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

Ooooh, I hate it when people IM me at work with just "Hi, emma675" and nothing else. Don't just say hi over IM, freaking follow up with why you're messaging me in the first place. I had one guy who is a repeat offender do it again last week and I just left the message sitting unanswered. He finally came to my office to ask if I had seen his message and I flat out told him yes, but I've decided not to respond back to IMs with no content other than "hi". I'm freaking busy, I don't have time to drag it out of you.

ETA: as I was typing this post, it literally happened again! I got an IM from a coworker that says "hi there!" and nothing else. Good lord.

ETA #2: this lady who sent me "hi there!" let it sit for over an hour before she tried to follow up and now claims she needs to talk to me now because it's "big". I told her nope, I'm going to another meeting, and she tried to say it would take two minutes. Because I'm pissed and feeling petty today, I put my IM on "appear away" and didn't answer the phone. If her "big" was so important an hour ago, put more info in the damn IM in the first place. Oy, I'm cranky today.

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 8
8 hours ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

I have a pet peeve is sort of like that. It's when people I don't know IM me and just say "Got time for a quick call?" I always reply "Regarding?" and it usually turns out it's something I can't help them with anyway! Seems like it would be pretty easy to say "Hi, I'm Biff from accounting and have a question about whirlygigs" so I can reply "Hey, Biff - Sorry but I don't work in the whirlygig world." It's a small thing, but it bugs.

6 hours ago, emma675 said:

Ooooh, I hate it when people IM me at work with just "Hi, emma675" and nothing else. Don't just say hi over IM, freaking follow up with why you're messaging me in the first place. 

ETA: as I was typing this post, it literally happened again! I got an IM from a coworker that says "hi there!" and nothing else. Good lord.

I and everyone at my company would irritate you to the point of banging your head against a wall and then running down the hall screaming.

What you are describing as your preferred method of IMing is considered rude at my company.  My natural state is to do what you prefer but I don't because that's not how people in my company conduct IM.  I now feel anxious when I follow up with what I want before being acknowledged.

• Love 1

I don't know that this is really a pet peeve, because at this point it hasn't really affected my life at all, but it goes along with the discussion.

I heard on the radio that it is rude to do the following things:

1. leave a voice mail message

2. call someone without texting for permission first

3. use complete sentences when texting

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Well, I'm three for three.  But I'm also fine being considered rude in whatever bizarro world those things are rude in.

• Love 20
5 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Well, I'm three for three.  But I'm also fine being considered rude in whatever bizarro world those things are rude in.

I literally can't figure out why full sentences would be a bad thing.  I've actually stopped leaving vm's for my boss and best friend because they will both just look, see that I called and call me back without listening and I have to say the whole thing all over again anyway.  But, really, is it that much of an imposition to leave one that it's considered rude?

• Love 4

I don't call anyone back who doesn't leave a message.  If it's just a missed call, I figure they decided to send me an email instead, or it was something that was only relevant if I was free to talk right then, so it's now moot.  When someone leaves me a message, I know what they need to talk to me about, and can thus prioritize my return calls.

5 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I literally can't figure out why full sentences would be a bad thing.

I have no idea.  The TL;dr crowd is so averse to spending more than three seconds of their precious time on any one thing that a sentence consisting of complete words is anathema?

• Love 8
45 minutes ago, Bastet said:

When someone leaves me a message, I know what they need to talk to me about, and can thus prioritize my return calls.

And it's not just prioritization, it's preparation. I'm not good 'off the cuff' - I've told people the wrong thing because they caught me off guard. I know the right answer, but I need a few minutes to consider the question and formulate the correct answer. (So yeah, if someone cold calls me and I pick up, I'm screwed! Or more to the point, they are!)

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Bastet said:

Bizarre!  I don’t consider ANY of those things rude either.  WTH

My MIL is the worst offender on the VM message that has absolutely no content.  She could be standing there with her arm hanging off, OR needing the recipe for lemon bars = the VM is the same "call me back".  🥴

Edited by Kelly
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

My preference on IMs at work is that if I need to reach out to someone with whom I don’t already have a working relationship, I will email first, describe what is needed and why, and ask for that person’s assistance. After that person responds, then there may be an IM or two for clarification. For people with whom I already have an established working relationship, my typical IM is “Hi, so-and-so. Do you have a few minutes to chat about XYZ?” If it’s a topic that will require more than 5-10 minutes, I generally set up a phone call via a meeting invitation, with the topic clearly stated. I hate getting the open-ended IM of just “Hi” unless it’s one of maybe three colleagues who might be messaging me just for casual conversation. If you need me to do something, just spell it out up front instead of going through the nonsense of telling me hi, then saying you need a favor or something, then telling me what it is. There’s a way to be both polite and concise. 

• Love 7

I've gone round and round with a friend of mine who insists it's beyond rude to just call because blind calling doesn't take into account the other person's availability, or desire to talk.

My response is: don't answer the fucking phone if you aren't available to talk or don't feel like talking. It's not rocket surgery.

At work if you don't leave a message I won't call you back. Most people call my cell and then will shoot a quick text if they need a call back. That's perfect.

In my personal life no one I know outside of my parents will leave a message. If I see a missed call from a friend I'll call back. But that's *our* relationship. YMMV

• Love 9
On 2/11/2020 at 2:37 PM, potatoradio said:

Yes! I am responsible for receiving phone calls from customers on top of my daily work tasks. My work voicemail clearly includes the message to leave a name, number, and reason for the call and I will get back to you as soon as possible. I can't stand when I'm working on a task and someone calls repeatedly back-to-back without leaving a voicemail. And if I do finally get annoyed enough to answer, it is usually someone that's reached the wrong dept and I can't assist them anyway.

• Love 7
13 hours ago, Katy M said:

I don't know that this is really a pet peeve, because at this point it hasn't really affected my life at all, but it goes along with the discussion.

Here's another "rule" (or rude thing to do): not staying to the right on the escalator. If you're not on the very right side, people can't dash up the escalator's steps. Dashing up an escalator's steps is very dangerous--not only to oneself but also to others.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I've gone round and round with a friend of mine who insists it's beyond rude to just call because blind calling doesn't take into account the other person's availability, or desire to talk.

My response is: don't answer the fucking phone if you aren't available to talk or don't feel like talking. It's not rocket surgery.

Seriously!  Are people really so addicted to their phones these days they compulsively answer all calls, even when they're busy or just not interested in talking right then, then blame the caller for "interrupting" them?  I don't think there's anything wrong with preferring to get an "are you free to talk about X?" type text or IM first, but I do think declaring it rude to get a call without one is ridiculous.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

At work if you don't leave a message I won't call you back. Most people call my cell and then will shoot a quick text if they need a call back. That's perfect.

In my personal life no one I know outside of my parents will leave a message. If I see a missed call from a friend I'll call back. But that's *our* relationship. YMMV

I totally agree with you. I don’t get why your friend doesn’t see it that way. My dad always mentions when he’ll be in a meeting or something to the whole family in case we text him. His meetings never even last that long, and his kids are grown. You respond when you can, not a big deal. Why do some people think they absolutely must immediately pick up the phone and talk or respond to a text? Urgent texts/calls are few and far between. If you don’t answer because it’s not a good time, no big deal. Most of us don’t expect people to be available 24/7, and a little phone tag isn’t the end of the world. 

I get annoyed that most doughnut shops open and close so early. I’m not a morning person.

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 3

Y'all have no idea. Humanity has devolved to the point where people have full-on FaceTime (and whatever the Android equivalent is) conversations at the checkout, acting as if I, the lowly cashier, don't exist. It's the pinnacle or rudeness. I hardly ever talk on the phone, so I have no idea who all these people are talking to all hours of the day and night. The live video images are literally people walking around showing the ceiling.

Long complaint session forthcoming...

The car accident fallout will just never end, it seems. I've been trying to work here and there, but it's basically done nothing but aggravate my injuries (severe trauma to chest and ribs). Every time I lift something or stretch, which is basically my entire job, I am continually straining already damaged tissue.

I hurt myself further last night trying to help a customer. He was trying to figure out the difference in flowers (curse Valentine's Day!) and prices, and as he reached for a vase on the top shelf (grrrr...), one started to fall. I instinctively and quickly reached to catch it and felt something pull painfully in my chest. I couldn't lift anything after that. I'd been lifting nothing heavier than a gallon of milk (and trying not to lift that but people insist they need a plastic bag for milk that already has a handle), but the way the bagging area is set up, I have to reach forward and grab the bags from kind of a sunken area, so my chest was taking a lot of strain.

Long story longer, I told the three managers on duty (not the store manager) that I was hurt and I went home, but not before I was given a hard time about it from my direct manager. "Oh, you're not going to be able to work tomorrow either??" Ugh.

I went to the doctor today. I was supposed to go Wednesday but moved up the appointment. He wrote me out of work for a week. He didn't want me working from the beginning. I've used all the PTO I had, so I have no idea what I'm going to do to pay the bills. I wish so much that I hadn't tried to work early on.

I then went to the store to turn in the doctor's note. The store manager wasn't there, but I want to talk to him next week. He mentioned last week that he had told the front end management staff to put me on slower registers, "but no one listens to me." I don't really want to get into a whole worker's comp thing because they knew I was already working against doctor's advice. There's nothing I can really "prove" unless they look at the video and see me recoil in pain after trying to catch the vase. I don't know.

In related news, I went to the DMV to turn in the title transfer paperwork from the tow yard. Apparently there's still a lien on record from when I financed my late Honda with the credit union. I'm not sure why or how, since I had the title in my name. I guess I was supposed to let the DMV know the car was paid off and in my name. This was like 10 years ago. I don't get how the credit union didn't do it, but OK. So now I have to get a letter from the credit union to take back to the DMV. I'm so tired.

On the bright side, my family helped me tremendously and got me into a "new" used car. It's a 2006 Ford Focus. It seems to be in really good shape and has more features than my Honda did. Nothing will ever replace my Scarlett, but I'm so grateful for and humbled by my family's help.

• Love 19

I guess I’m old or perhaps ancient, but I don’t mind people not leaving a message unless, of course, it’s urgent.  There are times when friends and family are just calling to say Hi or check in, nothing worth leaving a message over, and I’m okay with that.  If I see you called, and I didn’t pick up for some reason, I’ll call back.  The exception is if I get a call from someone when I have no idea who it is. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Y'all have no idea. Humanity has devolved to the point where people have full-on FaceTime (and whatever the Android equivalent is) conversations at the checkout, acting as if I, the lowly cashier, don't exist. It's the pinnacle or rudeness. I hardly ever talk on the phone, so I have no idea who all these people are talking to all hours of the day and night. The live video images are literally people walking around showing the ceiling.

Long complaint session forthcoming...

The car accident fallout will just never end, it seems. I've been trying to work here and there, but it's basically done nothing but aggravate my injuries (severe trauma to chest and ribs). Every time I lift something or stretch, which is basically my entire job, I am continually straining already damaged tissue.

I hurt myself further last night trying to help a customer. He was trying to figure out the difference in flowers (curse Valentine's Day!) and prices, and as he reached for a vase on the top shelf (grrrr...), one started to fall. I instinctively and quickly reached to catch it and felt something pull painfully in my chest. I couldn't lift anything after that. I'd been lifting nothing heavier than a gallon of milk (and trying not to lift that but people insist they need a plastic bag for milk that already has a handle), but the way the bagging area is set up, I have to reach forward and grab the bags from kind of a sunken area, so my chest was taking a lot of strain.

Long story longer, I told the three managers on duty (not the store manager) that I was hurt and I went home, but not before I was given a hard time about it from my direct manager. "Oh, you're not going to be able to work tomorrow either??" Ugh.

I went to the doctor today. I was supposed to go Wednesday but moved up the appointment. He wrote me out of work for a week. He didn't want me working from the beginning. I've used all the PTO I had, so I have no idea what I'm going to do to pay the bills. I wish so much that I hadn't tried to work early on.

I then went to the store to turn in the doctor's note. The store manager wasn't there, but I want to talk to him next week. He mentioned last week that he had told the front end management staff to put me on slower registers, "but no one listens to me." I don't really want to get into a whole worker's comp thing because they knew I was already working against doctor's advice. There's nothing I can really "prove" unless they look at the video and see me recoil in pain after trying to catch the vase. I don't know.

In related news, I went to the DMV to turn in the title transfer paperwork from the tow yard. Apparently there's still a lien on record from when I financed my late Honda with the credit union. I'm not sure why or how, since I had the title in my name. I guess I was supposed to let the DMV know the car was paid off and in my name. This was like 10 years ago. I don't get how the credit union didn't do it, but OK. So now I have to get a letter from the credit union to take back to the DMV. I'm so tired.

On the bright side, my family helped me tremendously and got me into a "new" used car. It's a 2006 Ford Focus. It seems to be in really good shape and has more features than my Honda did. Nothing will ever replace my Scarlett, but I'm so grateful for and humbled by my family's help.

Have you considered going on short term disability? It's not your full salary, but if you keep injuring yourself, you could do permanent damage.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, GaT said:

Have you considered going on short term disability? It's not your full salary, but if you keep injuring yourself, you could do permanent damage.

I don't think I have disability coverage, but I have to check. I'm technically part-time, though I get 30-31 hours a week (I beg for more, but that's another story). I had only 34 hours of PTO because my year anniversary with the company was last month and I guess I started accruing it at that point. I'll see what the store manager can tell me next week. Losing the equivalent of five-plus days of pay is going to seriously hurt me financially, as if I'm not already ruined from this disaster. As it is, I barely make my rent and other household bills. In October, management cut me from 38 hours a week to 30 with no explanation--probably so they don't have to provide benefits...like disability.

I was supposed to start a new job with a retail behemoth (not Walmart, but another evil multi-billion-dollar empire), but that looks as if it might be falling through, which is incredibly disappointing. The pay was going to be nearly a 50% increase. I keep hoping a shift will open up, but they're all filled almost as soon as the daily shift email broadcasts.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 1

Late last year I started going to a chiropractor and it was awesome. The doc got me all fixed up and I decided I was going to splurge for a massage from a real massage therapist (I don't like chain massage places). I knew I'd be paying OOP for it and my insurance probably wouldn't cover it, no biggie. I had some FSA money to burn before the end of the year.

Well the massage person had the most bizarre technique I ever experienced. I wanted her to focus on my neck, shoulders and lower back and instead she got hyper focused on my hips being out of alignment, my inability to breathe into my diaphragm or react to her reflex tests fast enough. Lady I said I wanted you to focus on my neck, shoulders and lower back. She said it was all related, I say bullshit. Anyway, an hour later I was annoyed but I paid my bill, planned on self-submitting to insurance (just in case they covered something) and never go back.

So my self submission (by suggestion of the office) was denied because they submitted for it, too! Long story short, it was a 'billing error' and the doctor is going to send me a check for what the insurance probably would have reimbursed me. I don't think they were being sketchy, I think she did submit my massage claim by mistake. She told me multiple times that they don't submit for massages.

Now I need to find a new chiropractor that has massage therapists on staff. I just want a basic neck, shoulders and back massage and I'll totally pay more for someone who went to school for it vs a chain place but FFS, no more of that bullshit.

Gah! I'm annoyed all over again.

48 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I screen all of my calls.  If I don't know who it is via caller id, I won't pickup the phone.  If they keep calling and become a giant pain in the ass, I just block the number.   I don't have anything setup to receive voice messages.   I have no interest in any of that.   I just look back through the caller id numbers and if I recognize a number and that person isn't a jerk, I will call that person back.

so, if a family member is mugged and their phone gets stolen and they call, they don't have a prayer of actually getting in touch with you because you won't answer the unrecognized number no matter how many times they call, and they have no way to leave you a message?  Same thing if a hospital tries to get in touch with you? Doesn't seem like a great system, but I guess if it's working. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

I screen all of my calls.  If I don't know who it is via caller id, I won't pickup the phone.  If they keep calling and become a giant pain in the ass, I just block the number.   I don't have anything setup to receive voice messages.   I have no interest in any of that.   I just look back through the caller id numbers and if I recognize a number and that person isn't a jerk, I will call that person back.

I am the opposite. I do not have caller ID (on my land line -- yes, I still have a land line) and don't really want it. I'll pick up and just say, "I'm not interested, thank you," if it's a telemarketer. Or hang up when no one says anything right away. Anyone who doesn't leave a message doesn't get a call back.

Same goes for the cell phone and work phone. If you want me to call you back, leave a message or text or email (which is preferable anyway because that way I can think about what you want and formulate a response or find the information and not have to make idle chat, which I'm not good at). Also, I have a hard time saying good-bye and getting off the phone.

And when I don't leave a message, I don't want a call back. If I don't leave a message, it means it wasn't important, or I'll come find you later (if at work). I hate getting calls returned from people for whom I did not leave messages. I've probably forgotten why I called.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 2/14/2020 at 4:20 PM, bilgistic said:

people insist they need a plastic bag for milk that already has a handle

I usually get a bag for the milk because I have built-in hooks on the back of the seats and in the rear compartment of my SUV, so I can hang them and don't have to worry about them bouncing around and maybe popping open while driving.

On 2/14/2020 at 4:20 PM, bilgistic said:

When I bought my current car 5 years ago, I traded the old one in. The title I had still showed the lien from when I purchased and financed it - I was never sent a revised title without the lien. I had to get a letter from some finance place to show the lien was removed.

• Useful 1
39 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

When I’m trying to check my notifications on here and I log myself out! Does this happen to anyone else when using primetimer on your phone? 

Not yet, but I do go to the top of the page on occasion! That “button” is in the worst place on a phone.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2