Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

(edited)
9 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Never heard it called rabbit. Is that because in dog races they’re always chasing the rabbit? I’ve always heard the term bear bait. 

I guess it's probably the dog race theory; I picked up the saying from someone else, so don't know if it's that or some kind of tortoise/hare tie-in.  I like lightning rods, as Papa @riley702 called them; better they attract attention than me, so to speak. 

9 hours ago, Sun-Bun said:

It’s astonishing just how awful those Hallmark/Lifetime movies are too. Who actually watches and enjoys them?!

I did watch part of one the other night just because I was bored and half-drunk. It was actually called “Stalked by a Reality Star”—-dear god, worst trash ever!! The acting was godawful and the writing was even worse. I did enjoy the horrific acting for comedic purposes though.

I love to just read the plot descriptions - they're awesomely bad.  When there's a theme, like "Her Mother's Sister" followed by "His Father's Brother" followed by "Her Mother's Sister's Brother," etc. the plots just seem to get better and better as the movies progress.  

ETA:  @riley702, I love the picture of your parents. 

Edited by harrie
  • Love 6
(edited)

I am 5ft 10, my dad was 6 2, mom 5 7, and my sister 5 8.

I am tall and gangly, but I do get slightly miffed when guys come up to me and say "My, you're a tall girl aren't you?" (especially when I'm wearing heels)

I so want to reply with something incredibly rude or as equally condescending, but I rise above it... just! 

Edited by Zola
  • Love 4

So my car's birthday gift to me is to cost me $700 worth of repairs. Yay!

Also, gotta love the idiots who start the 4th of July fireworks early. I'm praying for a massive washout (like I do every year) for the 4th.

• Love 7

Can I vent here? Since it's not a pet peeve, per say? If not, I'll move it over to Chit Chat.

I feel like the world's biggest nimrodic idiot FOOL.  It was a very long day yesterday; after work, I went to a class for my CLE (brushing up and staying on top of my blue-booking skills), and the class was wonderful. Because the woman who teaches it is AWESOME. I've been taking her classes for over 12 years and it's due to her that I've been able to hone my skills. The class was from 6-9pm, and we ran a little late. I was exhausted. In addition to my tote, I had one of those food storage bag thingies that keep your food cool? or warm? I had placed my fridge to go pack that has my insulin pens in it. I take the train, get off my stop. And like a FUCKING IDIOT, left the bag on the train! I didn't realize it until I got home and an hour had passed. I thought: maybe I left it in my car? Nope. So I emailed WMATA, reported the incident. Hopefully, they will have found it. If they do, I have to go to their lost and found facility, which is ACROSS AND THE OTHER SIDE OF TOWN. Luckily, I still have one new Novolog and three more Basaglar pens in my fridge, so it's not like I'll miss a dose.  And it turns out the stupid Novolog comes in a five pen pack, hence the obscene amount I have to pay. Can't prescribe one pen, which would be so much more affordable. But I'm hoping that when I see my doctor, they'll reduce the number of times I have to "shoot up" to once a day; better yet, gimme a pill. My aunt was also diagnosed around the time I was, and she's a good 30 pounds heavier than I am, but HER doctor gave her pills! She doesn't need to inject insulin. My blood sugar levels over the past month have ranged from 68-130. I'm hoping this means I don't have to bloodlet myself four times a day. My fingers bloody fucking HURT.

• Love 8

@GHScorpiosRule Glad that you have found a good class and an instructor who can actually teach you something in a nice way. Good for you.  That’s a bummer about leaving your bag on the train. I wouldn’t be surprised if it ends up in a garbage somewhere because most people see filled syringes and would be very wary of what’s in them. Still I hope that there’s some good sport out there who turns it in to the proper authorities so you can make the trek (bummer about it being on the other side of town) and get your cooler back. 

I most definitely discuss options with your Dr about insulin vs the oral medications. Ouch on your poor fingers especially since you probably need to use them a lot every day on your keyboard. Keep it clean. Cuts and infections take on a whole new level of care once you become diabetic. I also hope you got some good sneakers or commuting shoes. 

Enjoy your day and try for some rest (and a recharge) tonight. 

• Love 3

Just got off the phone with WMATA. Anything that was left on the train last night, won't be sent to Lost and Found yet. It will take 2-5 BUSINESS DAYS. As for my insulin, well, the pens are in a cold pack, called "fridge to go" or on the go, whatever. It's like a heavy duty pencil case. and it's red. Anyone who unzipped it would just see two "pens."

This just takes the cake as I'm headed to a wedding this weekend. Like I said, I'm just grateful that I still had additional insulin pens on hand.

• Love 5

Well you’re past hump day and have a happy event to look forward to this weekend so things should start looking up for you. Then there’s hump day off next week. (That many days for the lost and found to get items? Sheesh!) 

• Love 3
57 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Just got off the phone with WMATA. Anything that was left on the train last night, won't be sent to Lost and Found yet. It will take 2-5 BUSINESS DAYS. As for my insulin, well, the pens are in a cold pack, called "fridge to go" or on the go, whatever. It's like a heavy duty pencil case. and it's red. Anyone who unzipped it would just see two "pens."

This just takes the cake as I'm headed to a wedding this weekend. Like I said, I'm just grateful that I still had additional insulin pens on hand.

@GHScorpiosRule, the blood sugar numbers you posted are really good! Hopefully the insulin was just to get you stabilized at a lower level and you will be able to move to pills or at most a one-a-week injectable pen. 

On 6/26/2018 at 10:41 PM, BooksRule said:

I remember when years ago some of my co-workers and I went to a town about 4 hours away to help sort books at a library that was closing.  We stayed overnight and on the way home, the person driving somehow managed to get our van (there were about 6 of us on the trip--a van full of women) into a convoy of semis.  One truck driver moved over and let us get in between two other trucks ('in the cradle'?) and we all went speeding mightily down the interstate at a speed that we probably shouldn't have been going (I'm sure it wasn't that fast, though!).  We enjoyed the ride for a lot of miles before we needed to exit so she signaled, they let us out and with some lights blinking and horns blowing, we went our way and the trucks went theirs.  I'll never forget that--it was very exhilarating. 

I read this yesterday and found the song "Convoy" in my head this morning. Thanks, @BooksRule! We got a great big convoy...Convoy.....

• Love 5

Family Height:  My Dad was 5'8" and Mom is 5'3', but all of the boys were taller than them 6'3"/ 6' / 5'10" & 5'10.5" and I was the same height as Dad.

Our family pictures look pretty funny as soon as all the boys started shooting past my Dad.

But both gene pools had some taller genes in there - my paternal uncle was 6'2" but he's the only one really on that side.  My maternal uncles and grandfather were/are in the 6 ft + range.  The tallest uncle is only about 7 - 8 years older than my oldest brother.  When we visited when my brother was about 14 and my uncle in his early 20s, based on looks, height and body frame they could have passed for brothers with ease.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, DeLurker said:

I'm 5'8" (well, 5'7 3/4" per the nurse who measured me yesterday). 

I got measured by a nurse once and I asked how tall I was and she said 5'6".  I said, "Oh.  I thought I was 5'5."  She said, "I have never had anyone who thought they were shorter than they are."

• Love 5
(edited)
53 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I got measured by a nurse once and I asked how tall I was and she said 5'6".  I said, "Oh.  I thought I was 5'5."  She said, "I have never had anyone who thought they were shorter than they are."

That story fits nicely with your chosen username.

1 hour ago, DeLurker said:

Our family pictures look pretty funny as soon as all the boys started shooting past my Dad.

I had my 13 year old son with me at work yesterday. As we walked by one of my guys, he looked up and said "Holy cow!"  Another friend said to me a little later in the day, "Your son is almost as tall as you!" I responded "Not almost. IS."  I'll bring him back in a couple months so you can see me looking up at him."  He's going to be one tall, blond haired, blue eyed young man when I send him off to college. Good for him.

Edited by JTMacc99
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Can I vent here? Since it's not a pet peeve, per say? If not, I'll move it over to Chit Chat.

I feel like the world's biggest nimrodic idiot FOOL.  It was a very long day yesterday; after work, I went to a class for my CLE (brushing up and staying on top of my blue-booking skills), and the class was wonderful. Because the woman who teaches it is AWESOME. I've been taking her classes for over 12 years and it's due to her that I've been able to hone my skills. The class was from 6-9pm, and we ran a little late. I was exhausted. In addition to my tote, I had one of those food storage bag thingies that keep your food cool? or warm? I had placed my fridge to go pack that has my insulin pens in it. I take the train, get off my stop. And like a FUCKING IDIOT, left the bag on the train! I didn't realize it until I got home and an hour had passed. I thought: maybe I left it in my car? Nope. So I emailed WMATA, reported the incident. Hopefully, they will have found it. If they do, I have to go to their lost and found facility, which is ACROSS AND THE OTHER SIDE OF TOWN. Luckily, I still have one new Novolog and three more Basaglar pens in my fridge, so it's not like I'll miss a dose.  And it turns out the stupid Novolog comes in a five pen pack, hence the obscene amount I have to pay. Can't prescribe one pen, which would be so much more affordable. But I'm hoping that when I see my doctor, they'll reduce the number of times I have to "shoot up" to once a day; better yet, gimme a pill. My aunt was also diagnosed around the time I was, and she's a good 30 pounds heavier than I am, but HER doctor gave her pills! She doesn't need to inject insulin. My blood sugar levels over the past month have ranged from 68-130. I'm hoping this means I don't have to bloodlet myself four times a day. My fingers bloody fucking HURT.

OMG.  What an experience.  I'd be peeved too, but, try not to beat yourself up. Those things happen. I would immediately call all involved to see about getting some help to replace the box of insulin.  Not sure what you paid, but, retail on a box is usually $350-500.  I'd inquire from health insurance, doctor's office, pharmacy, etc.  how to get help with a lost box.  You'll have proof from reporting it lost or stolen. If you have to refill it, before the time lapses, your health insurance may refuse, so, I'd see if the pharmacy can find you a coupon or the insulin company has a provision to help people in that predicament. 

Have they told you if you are Type I or Type II diabetic?  Type's II's may manage with pills, but, not Type I's.  I'm a type one and can tell you that while it's challenging, it's doable. Having support and the tools you need, really helps. Maybe, we need a Diabetic thread around here. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

OMG.  What an experience.  I'd be peeved too, but, try not to beat yourself up. Those things happen. I would immediately call all involved to see about getting some help to replace the box of insulin.  Not sure what you paid, but, retail on a box is usually $350-500.  I'd inquire from health insurance, doctor's office, pharmacy, etc.  how to get help with a lost box.  You'll have proof from reporting it lost or stolen. If you have to refill it, before the time lapses, your health insurance may refuse, so, I'd see if the pharmacy can find you a coupon or the insulin company has a provision to help people in that predicament. 

Have they told you if you are Type I or Type II diabetic?  Type's II's may manage with pills, but, not Type I's.  I'm a type one and can tell you that while it's challenging, it's doable. Having support and the tools you need, really helps. Maybe, we need a Diabetic thread around here. 

Thanks. I'll call my doctor's office and see what they can do. I'm a Type II.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Just got off the phone with WMATA. Anything that was left on the train last night, won't be sent to Lost and Found yet. It will take 2-5 BUSINESS DAYS.

Is this because there's a central location, so stuff found on various trains is held at one of the end-of-the-line stations temporarily and then moved to the official Lost and Found, where it's logged in and available for retrieval?  I can't fathom how else it would take that long.

My blood sugar levels over the past month have ranged from 68-130. I'm hoping this means I don't have to bloodlet myself four times a day.

Goodness, I would hope so, because those numbers are crazy good.  In fact, 68 on insulin would have me a little nervous.  Well, if you were a cat, anyway.  :-) 

I hope you find your pen kit, and that you get to transition to fewer doses of insulin soon, and, ultimately, can graduate to an oral medication.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Is this because there's a central location, so stuff found on various trains is held at one of the end-of-the-line stations temporarily and then moved to the official Lost and Found, where it's logged in and available for retrieval?  I can't fathom how else it would take that long.

Goodness, I would hope so, because those numbers are crazy good.  In fact, 68 on insulin would have me a little nervous.  Well, if you were a cat, anyway.  :-) 

I hope you find your pen kit, and that you get to transition to fewer doses of insulin soon, and, ultimately, can graduate to an oral medication.

Yeah, I think that's the reason. But what can you do? Stupid metro is privately owned, so they can do whatever they however they want. It's bloody ridiculous.

I called my doctor's office and they have a sample of Novolog (which comes with six nano needles), that I can pick up. So that will replace the one on the train. The Basaglar, well, it's been refilled, and that pack only cost me $25. I don't want to have to get a new prescription for the Novolog until AFTER I see my doctor. If she determines, hey! Blood Sugar is good/under control, so you don't have to inject four times a day, plus the Metformin! I don't mind the pen, but if I can just do it once a day, and test my sugar weekly, I'll be happy.

IF they don't find my cooler, I'm more pissed that I have to buy the fridge on the go case for my pens. That sucker cost me $40 on Amazon. Only because the saline or whatever that keeps it cool lasts for years, and I don't have to replace them.

And I discovered I don't really have to starve myself. I went to my CLE at 5:30--I had taken the insulin at around 5, and my blood sugar was 100. They had ordered sandwiches from Panera, and I had the veggie Mediterranean, the small bag of chips (I paced myself and at those over an hour) and a chocolate chip cookie.  I have this chart the nurse practitioner gave me which tells me what I can eat. I can have two cookies, 1/2 cup of Vanilla Ice Cream, fudge brownie. Not at the same time, of course! But it's "all about portion control." Well, duh. They've seen me. I told them I lost 20 pounds within a six month period. I'm NOT overweight. But you'd think they somehow gleaned or assume I inhale a 14-inch pizza in one sitting or eat an entire 13x9 inch tray of brownies.

And those stupid Extend power bars don't do crap. The commercials I see say, they can help control my sugar and hold off the munchies up to 9 hours. BULL.SHIT. I'm still starving between lunch and dinner! So I'm eating Colby/jack cheese slices with three graham crackers, sugar-free Jell-O.

Ahem.

So, by the time I got home and checked my sugar around 11, (I thought for sure it would be around 140ish after what I had for dinner, plus the stress of losing my pens), but it was 116! 

• Love 3
17 hours ago, forumfish said:

I still have 4"-high, electric blue "hooker heels" in my closet, from a frat party. I had to practice walking up and down stairs in them for weeks before the event.

Ha! We didn't call them hooker heels back in the early '80s - we called them CFMPs (Come fuck me pumps)!

• Love 5
(edited)

Ah, insulin. There's my constant, simmering anger.

Despite being discovered in 1921, pharmaceutical companies have purposefully made a series of incremental. changes to their formulas and been granted new patents that prevent any generic versions. My Medicare co-pay is around $700/month.

It's not like I need the stuff to live or anything.

Edited by 2727
  • Love 12

Saran Wrap/Cling Film.

Anyone want to start a list of biggest pet peeves ever?  That would top my list. 

By the way, am I imagining things, or did there actually used to be surveys on this site?

• Love 3

One of my peeves is the cost of diabetic meds and supplies.  I have good insurance coverage, but, even with that, it's not cheap.  If anyone is interested (probably more for Type I's), I wear a Continuous Glucose Monitor, which alerts you of highs and lows, which can be dangerous.  You wear a sensor, just under the skin and it sends continuous signal of your blood sugar level to your phone or a small monitor.  (I wear mine on clothes.)  You have to calibrate it with a blood stick twice per day, but, the latest version that is coming out in July has on a 1 stick a day to calibrate.  So, that cuts back on your test strips, but, there is the cost for the CGM.  It will change your life though.  I can finally sleep without being terrified of dying from low blood sugar, which can happen. 

Another peeve of mine are the difficult to adjust microwave wheels.  In 2018 and that's the best they can do??

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, riley702 said:

Try Press 'N' Seal!

Never heard of it but will check it out.

If I do find it does anyone have any ideas for my leftover Saran Wrap other than wrapping myself like Kathy Bates in Fried Green Tomatoes?

• Love 2

Saran Wrap used to be better until they took out some ingredient that was carcinogenic or something.  Now the thing it sticks to best is itself.  Press and Seal is definitely better.  I wish that Parafilm was food grade though.  That stuff is amazing.  It's this stretchy stuff that has paraffin wax as an ingredient, and we use it in labs to cover beakers and such.  I wrapped half an apple in in once because I had extra food for my pillbugs.  Well, I forgot about the apple for at least a month, and when I found it again, it looked fresh as a daisy.  Still as crisp and unbrowned as the day I wrapped it up.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, janestclair said:

Saran Wrap used to be better until they took out some ingredient that was carcinogenic or something.  Now the thing it sticks to best is itself.  Press and Seal is definitely better.  I wish that Parafilm was food grade though.  That stuff is amazing.  It's this stretchy stuff that has paraffin wax as an ingredient, and we use it in labs to cover beakers and such.  I wrapped half an apple in in once because I had extra food for my pillbugs.  Well, I forgot about the apple for at least a month, and when I found it again, it looked fresh as a daisy.  Still as crisp and unbrowned as the day I wrapped it up.  

How were the pill bugs?

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Zola said:

I am tall and gangly, but I do get slightly miffed when guys come up to me and say "My, you're a tall girl aren't you?" (especially when I'm wearing heels)

I so want to reply with something incredibly rude or as equally condescending, but I rise above it... just! 

My mom has never been a tall woman, probably 5' 2" at most. She not only lost height as she got older, but she has scoliosis and her spine has been bending for the last 15 years. It amazes me how many people she encounters who will delightedly say "Oh, you're so TINY!" Yes, she is. Not really necessary to comment on it, especially since it's quite obvious she has scoliosis. It really upsets her. I told her the next time someone says "Oh, you're so TINY!" she should smile, clap her hands together and delightedly say "Oh, you're so RUDE!"

• Love 9

here's a pet peeve.  It's not the first time this has happened to me, but I had this conversation today:

Me;  The address is 123 Main street.  It's 2 blocks west of the intersection of Main and Central. 

Him:  So, if I'm coming down Central, do I turn left or right on Main? 

Me: Um.. Are you going north or south? 

him:  I don't know directions.  I just want to know, do I turn right or left?  I will be coming from Central.  which way do I turn? 

Me:  well, if you're going north on Central, you turn left.  If you're heading south on central, you'd have to turn right.   It's two blocks west of Central. 

him: (getting irritated)  I told you I don't know directions.  I just want to know if I turn left or right. 

I don't know how people can be that dumb.

• Love 19
6 hours ago, riley702 said:
6 hours ago, Brookside said:

Saran Wrap/Cling Film.

Anyone want to start a list of biggest pet peeves ever?  That would top my list.

Try Press 'N' Seal!

I hate Saran Wrap and used Press N Seal for years, but it started not sticking as well as it used to.  Well, it's okay on bowls, but it doesn't really stick well when wrapping up a piece of pizza, for example.  I don't know if it changed, or I became more demanding.

Now I'm a Stretch-Tite superfan.  You can pull it off the roll in a big piece and it doesn't jump up and stick to itself. 

https://www.stretchtite.com/

If you can't find it in a store, you can email them and tell them where you are and they will actually email you back with where you can find it (Safeway, in my case).  I'll be loyal forever for that reason alone.

(And if you have room for a lot of it, you can get it at Costco.  I've noticed that the food samplers there use it.)

• Love 2
(edited)
On 6/28/2018 at 9:35 PM, backformore said:

him: (getting irritated)  I told you I don't know directions.  I just want to know if I turn left or right. 

That drives me nuts!  I am sympathetic to the fact some people have a terrible sense of direction, but I am not at all sympathetic to those who don't grasp the fact whether they take a right or left depends on which direction they're coming from.  Setting aside all the technology available today, if nothing else stick a goddamned compass in your car.  There's no excuse for that shit.

Depending on their attitude, I may be helpful and ask where they're coming from and then supply, okay, you'll be heading [direction], so turn right/left.  But if they're just irritable dunces who expect the world to cater to them, forget it.  Figure it out or don't come. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 9

Way harsh, Tai. I don't know for directions, either. If I'm on Interstate 77 North, I know I'm headed north. Otherwise, forget it. I need cross streets, landmarks and right-or-lefts.

Thank god for the advent of GPS-based navigation devices and apps. Even after living in Charlotte for 25 years, I still use Google Maps or Waze to help me get to my destination in the fastest/shortest/least congested path possible, like if I'm going from an appointment on one side of town to a store in another, not from home to a regular destination. I learn more streets that way.

• Love 4
(edited)
7 hours ago, backformore said:

here's a pet peeve.  It's not the first time this has happened to me, but I had this conversation today:

Me;  The address is 123 Main street.  It's 2 blocks west of the intersection of Main and Central. 

Him:  So, if I'm coming down Central, do I turn left or right on Main? 

Me: Um.. Are you going north or south? 

him:  I don't know directions.  I just want to know, do I turn right or left?  I will be coming from Central.  which way do I turn? 

Me:  well, if you're going north on Central, you turn left.  If you're heading south on central, you'd have to turn right.   It's two blocks west of Central. 

I believe it and it drives me crazy.  I had a vent about something similar upthread.  They need to have some kind of instruction in school on directions, because most of the people that I encounter have NO CLUE and no sense of direction.  It's been that way for a long time, but, is more pronounced today with the use of GPS. If you were to ask the average adult what side (north, south, east, west) of the city or county they live on.....they would have NO IDEA. Well, in my community, that is.   Do you think that they could find their address on a map? lol  Not unless they are an engineer, maybe.....lol. I suppose that most people think that relying on technology for all things like that is just fine. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3
(edited)

And my complaint/peeve was not so much about people who are directionally challenged, but about people who don't understand that I can't tell you whether you're going to have to turn right or left if I don't know where you're coming from. This guy was mad because, to him, I was refusing to answer a simple question.

Edited by backformore
  • Love 11
44 minutes ago, backformore said:

And my complaint/peeve was not so much about people who are directionally challenged, but about people who don't understand that I can't tell you whether you're going to have to turn right or left if I don't know where you're coming from. This guy was mad because, to him, I was refusing to answer a simple question.

This is how this conversation would go 95% of the time if I'm involved:

Me;  The address is 123 Main street.  It's 2 blocks west of the intersection of Main and Central. Plug it into your phone and Google will tell you the best way to get there.

Him: [any follow up question]

Me: Do you have a smart phone?

Him: [any follow up question that wasn't "No."]

Me: What am I? Google Earth? Plug it into your phone.

The other 5% would be for people like my dad, who does not own a smart phone, but absolutely knows the difference between north and south because he spent most of his life using paper maps. 

• Love 8
14 hours ago, Brookside said:

How were the pill bugs?

It was a very sickly batch for some reason.  They barely lived long enough to do the experiment, and I'd only gotten them a few days prior.  Normally, I end up giving them to a student to take home for the summer because they'd die if I left them.   

I'm directionally challenged, but even I understand that it matters which direction I'm coming from.  I do understand where I am relative to where I need to be, so I do know if I need to go north or south.  However, I wouldn't know if I was going north or south on the road, unless it's in the name of the road.  You'd have to say something like, if you're coming from X location, make a left, or if you're coming from Y location make a right.  Bonus points for landmarks.  They need GPS to tell you to turn left at Wawa, instead of Main Street.  

• Love 5
(edited)

Directions like "go east" or "head south" are useless to me unless the sun is out and I know what time it is. What I can tell you is "I just past the intersection of  Know your role Blvd and Jabroni Dr. and there's a "Can you smell what the Rock is cookin'" restaurant on my right. Do I turn left or right on Shut your mouth St?" I don't even have the location on my phone turned on.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 11
10 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Way harsh, Tai. I don't know for directions, either. If I'm on Interstate 77 North, I know I'm headed north. Otherwise, forget it. I need cross streets, landmarks and right-or-lefts.

But the point of the grumble is we can't give a right or left instruction unless we know whether you'll be approaching that turn from the north or south/east or west.  Someone doesn't know what direction they're going?  Fine.  A lot of people have that problem.  But when you keep trying to ascertain where someone is coming from so you can give them a right or left instruction and they keep snapping "I don't know; just tell me if I turn right or left," no sympathy for them.  Surely they know they're shit with directions, and can thus say, "It's terrible, but I never have any idea what direction I'm facing.  I'll be coming from [street, landmark, neighborhood, whatever] toward you, so what direction is that?" then we can piece it together. 

• Love 12
(edited)
13 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Thank god for the advent of GPS-based navigation devices and apps. Even after living in Charlotte for 25 years, I still use Google Maps or Waze to help me get to my destination in the fastest/shortest/least congested path possible, like if I'm going from an appointment on one side of town to a store in another, not from home to a regular destination. I learn more streets that way.

Oh, same--though I don't really think it's harsh to be annoyed; sounds like the annoyance was at the the person daring to be salty and impatient about it. Not knowing is one thing but expecting the other person to is obnoxious. I'm probably annoying too because I know landmarks better than I know north or south when I'm not on a highway. Plus, half the time, the landmarks I know are "the place where the drunk guy as yelling that time" as opposed to, say, the intersection of This Street and That Road. That said, we should probably never go on a road trip together, haha!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 8

One of my hugest peeves is people who call unsolicited, be they salespeople, political groups or the damn scammers.  I was talking to a friend this afternoon about this, and she told me, put on your sexiest voice and ask them “what are you wearing?”  I am so going to do this! 

• Love 8

My pet peeve is myself today. 

I was picking up my new car and bumped into a pole LEAVING THE DAMN DEALERSHIP. I should not be allowed to drive.

In my defense, the dealership parked my car with a car in front and on one side of me, the pole on the other side and a narrow lane to back into. Plus, the new car has warning sounds, which my old car did not, and I could not figure out what it was dinging on about. Luckily it's just a tiny cloudy spot in the clear coat, but I about had a meltdown in the parking lot over my own carelessness. 

• Love 8
7 hours ago, Bastet said:

But the point of the grumble is we can't give a right or left instruction unless we know whether you'll be approaching that turn from the north or south/east or west.  Someone doesn't know what direction they're going?  Fine.  A lot of people have that problem.  But when you keep trying to ascertain where someone is coming from so you can give them a right or left instruction and they keep snapping "I don't know; just tell me if I turn right or left," no sympathy for them.  Surely they know they're shit with directions, and can thus say, "It's terrible, but I never have any idea what direction I'm facing.  I'll be coming from [street, landmark, neighborhood, whatever] toward you, so what direction is that?" then we can piece it together. 

I always say, "I'm coming from the direction where I cross XYZ Street before ABC Street. Which way do I turn on ABC Street?" I'm shit with directions, but I can say where I'm coming from so the other person can tell me how to get where I'm going to. Compass directions, though? Am I hiking in the wilderness?

Again, though, it's moot because I use mapping apps on my phone.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Oh, same--though I don't really think it's harsh to be annoyed; sounds like the annoyance was at the the person daring to be salty and impatient about it. Not knowing is one thing but expecting the other person to is obnoxious. I'm probably annoying too because I know landmarks better than I know north or south when I'm not on a highway. Plus, half the time, the landmarks I know are "the place where the drunk guy as yelling that time" as opposed to, say, the intersection of This Street and That Road. That said, we should probably never go on a road trip together, haha!

Directionally challenged people were called "dumb", and it smarted. My mom gets irritated with me because I can't get around in my hometown, but I only drove there for about two years. As an experiential learner, until I drive streets repeatedly, I am unable to learn them.

I remember using paper maps, particularly to get to the beach, so I have been able to get around on my own since I started driving. I just suck at directions. And math.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, emma675 said:

My pet peeve is myself today. 

I was picking up my new car and bumped into a pole LEAVING THE DAMN DEALERSHIP. I should not be allowed to drive.

In my defense, the dealership parked my car with a car in front and on one side of me, the pole on the other side and a narrow lane to back into. Plus, the new car has warning sounds, which my old car did not, and I could not figure out what it was dinging on about. Luckily it's just a tiny cloudy spot in the clear coat, but I about had a meltdown in the parking lot over my own carelessness. 

Ugh, I'm sorry!

I can relate. I backed into a van about a month or six weeks after I bought my then-new car in 2004. I still drive the car with the inch-long scuff in the paint on the bumper.

I also spilled a venti latte in the floor of the car two weeks after I'd bought the car. I cried. Then I had to get the carpet cleaned so it didn't smell like rotten milk.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, bilgistic said:

Ugh, I'm sorry!

I can relate. I backed into a van about a month or six weeks after I bought my then-new car in 2004. I still drive the car with the inch-long scuff in the paint on the bumper.

I also spilled a venti latte in the floor of the car two weeks after I'd bought the car. I cried. Then I had to get the carpet cleaned so it didn't smell like rotten milk.

I can relate to that too! A month or so ago I hit a parked car trying to fit into a too small parking space. My van is two years old but the parked car still had its 30 day tags on it! I was able to locate the owner as soon as I did it and gave him my info but my car was damaged more than his was and he was able to get it fixed through a buddy of his free of charge so it wasn't all that bad but I still had to pay my deductible to get my car fixed. My husband gave me hell about it too (in a joking way- mind you) and last week he hit a parked car- haha! We don't do well in parking lots obviously! I always park in the back of the lot but in my case there was only one space left in the lot so I had no choice but to park there. 

• Love 4

My car was hit in the parking lot when it was the only other car in the lot, two jobs ago. The driver worked at the firm across the hall from mine. At my last job, a coworker backed into me. I've had two fender benders. My bumper has seen some shit. I get her fixed and ol' girl keeps on going.

• Love 2

Getting directions from my mom;

"You want to turn left out of the driveway and go until you get to the Smith farm. No, they don't live there now, but they did when I was growing up. I think Nan Smith went to school with <brother>. She married a Meyer, I think. Then you take a left and go until you reach the O'Reilly place. Oh, I should call <sister> and see if she wants to go the McGee wake on Saturday. The McGees live a farm over from there, before the Jones' family bought it. It's a shame, their youngest daughter had just had her third baby, and her husband died of something. It was the same thing Jimmy Jackson had, but his was the version that didn't kill you right away. Remember when there was a fire at the McGillicuddys? Their middle one was dating Jimmy. Then you wait until you get to the corner with the three large corn bins, and the silo. It's just a ways down the road from there."

(she's really not this extreme, this is much more my late beloved grandma, but it's how I remember riding around in the country with Mom when I was little!).

• Love 19
(edited)
3 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Directionally challenged people were called "dumb", and it smarted. My mom gets irritated with me because I can't get around in my hometown, but I only drove there for about two years. As an experiential learner, until I drive streets repeatedly, I am unable to learn them.

I remember using paper maps, particularly to get to the beach, so I have been able to get around on my own since I started driving. I just suck at directions. And math.

Same here; when I went to school in Philly, I walked everywhere, and didn't have to care about one-way streets. When I attempted to drive, I was so lost! I figured the "dumb" was for the not understanding that, in order to give an answer, the other person would to know which side of the road the driver was on, not that being bad at directions makes one dumb. And I can't read a map to save my life. Math is also not for me.

"You want to turn left out of the driveway and go until you get to the Smith farm. No, they don't live there now, but they did when I was growing up. I think Nan Smith went to school with <brother>. She married a Meyer, I think. Then you take a left and go until you reach the O'Reilly place. Oh, I should call <sister> and see if she wants to go the McGee wake on Saturday. The McGees live a farm over from there, before the Jones' family bought it. It's a shame, their youngest daughter had just had her third baby, and her husband died of something. It was the same thing Jimmy Jackson had, but his was the version that didn't kill you right away. Remember when there was a fire at the McGillicuddys? Their middle one was dating Jimmy. Then you wait until you get to the corner with the three large corn bins, and the silo. It's just a ways down the road from there."

(she's really not this extreme, this is much more my late beloved grandma, but it's how I remember riding around in the country with Mom when I was little!).

My dad's method is telling you to note landmarks...for no reason, i.e., "After five miles, you'll see a Burger King and a bank on the left. Never mind them, just keep going straight."

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1
59 minutes ago, saoirse said:

This is hilarious! Your mom and mine would get along.

• Love 1