Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Goo Gone is wonderful at removing sticky residue

I haven’t used goo gone but I have used the Shoe Goo and it is also wonderful. It extended the life of a favorite pair of shoes by getting  the flopped off sole back in working order.

• Useful 2
9 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I love Palmolive dish soap. It's the only brand that keeps my sponge from getting the funk.

I love it because I grew up with it.  When I moved recently I couldn't find my bottle so I asked a friend to pick one up.  The store was out of "the green stuff" so she got some "yellow stuff".  This was two months ago and it still feels weird to be using yellow dish soap!

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
9 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

I don’t use sponges. I use those blue/white disposable towels and stainless steel scrubbies for my pans. But yes, I use one of the towels for about a week or so before it goes bad and it never gets funky. 

In case it’s not obvious, I don’t use a dishwasher. I hate them and also love washing dishes. I had a dishwasher in my old dream house and seldom used it. I dreaded loading it, waiting for a full load, the washing smell ( it didn’t stink it was just a steamy smell), waiting for it to dry, having to rewash crusted on stuff, unloading it. I can wash dry put away a sink/counter full in 20 minutes and be done with it. Longer if I am daydreaming or watching critters while looking out the double windows into the woods. We kept the hickory cabinets in this house (the man who built it used wood from the hickory trees on the land) when we updated it when we moved in after losing my dream home in a tornado but replaced the space where the dishwasher was with three very large drawers. 

Was your dream home in a part of the recently expanding/moving tornado "corridor"? or was it just a horrible freak tornado?  That must have been so heartbreaking for you.  💔  (I just typed in "sad" at the emoji prompt and there were no results.  How odd!)

• Sad 1
  • Love 1
On 12/27/2023 at 5:57 PM, partofme said:

My pet peeve is currently the primetimer community survey, it requires a gmail account to participate and I’m not creating one   

It's fixed now.  I reported it as a bug just before the big crash.  I just took it without a Google login.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

When I’m thinking about going to bed after the ball drop and the idiots in my neighborhood start shooting off fireworks, which means I won’t be able to fall asleep. 🙄 It’s not a planned display either; just people being stupid and using them even though it’s illegal by law.

• Like 7
10 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

When I’m thinking about going to bed after the ball drop and the idiots in my neighborhood start shooting off fireworks, which means I won’t be able to fall asleep. 🙄 It’s not a planned display either; just people being stupid and using them even though it’s illegal by law.

Yes.  That is the worst.  I just realized that this is the first year my neighbors didn't set off fireworks at midnight.  

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
51 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Yes.  That is the worst.  I just realized that this is the first year my neighbors didn't set off fireworks at midnight.  

This realization hit me about 3 years ago. No idea who the (booming) fireworks folks were, but so glad they finally moved away (or just stopped doing this). Now we hear a few, not so loud firecrackers, and that's it. I wish we could go back to no fireworks being sold.

• Like 3
(edited)

There were no fireworks in my neighborhood last night!  It's a Festivus miracle.

My peeve for the day is NBC's coverage of the Rose Parade, especially the commentary by Hoda Kotb and Al Roker.  I couldn't watch live, so I recorded it, and it sucks!  They've skipped all the marching bands in favor of commercials, and Al's comments are exceptionally stupid.  Oh, wait, they've shown two bands -- Michigan and Alabama -- only because those are the teams in the Rose Bowl, I think.

Edited to revise my peeve -- Al and Hoda (which just got corrected to Yoda) have started to show some of the marching bands.  They are still saying stupid things, and there are still too many commercials, so the overall peeve stands.

Edited by Browncoat
  • Like 6
  • Sad 3
4 hours ago, Katy M said:

My idiot neighbors did. I took a melatonin and crashed out at around 10:30.

• Like 2

I expect midnight fireworks on New Year's Eve, so have no problem with it as long as they don't carry on for too long, and it was only about half an hour last night.  I do, however, take issue with logging into NextDoor the next morning and finding a bunch of "What is that noise??" posts from that time.  Gee, that's a stumper -- it's midnight on New Year's Eve, whatever could it be?

• Like 5
  • LOL 6

I don't mind fireworks in and of themselves, but yeah, I'd much rather watch the professional ones, instead of dealing with some yahoo who really shouldn't be trusted with any explosives lighting them off in the neighborhood at, like, one or two in the morning. 

• Like 10
29 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I don't mind fireworks in and of themselves, but yeah, I'd much rather watch the professional ones, instead of dealing with some yahoo who really shouldn't be trusted with any explosives lighting them off in the neighborhood at, like, one or two in the morning. 

This. I'm totally fine and enjoy fireworks when they are handled by professionals in designated areas. I do not enjoy my neighborhood sounding like a war zone and worrying about my house catching fire because some drunk idiot decided to celebrate with bottle rockets next door.

• Like 12
19 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

The fireworks started here at 2am in the morning of the 31st.  I kid you not.  My guess is that it was a couple of guys with little pee-pees trying to prove something.

My annual pet peeve is that if I watch (here in Oregon) the New Year's Eve TV shows that were filmed on the East Coast, they insist on keeping the "Live" or "Live from Times Square" info flashing away in the corner, even though it's actually getting on for 3am there.  I'm not stupid, I know I'm 3 hours behind so if I watch at 11:55pm here in the PNW, I'm aware that it's actually 2:55am on the first in NYC. 

I actually stopped watching long ago because:

a:  I'm usually in bed way before midnight, New Year's Eve be damned

b:  The coverage is incredibly boring and, from what I remember, features a whole lot of nothing and people talking about the weather and the crowds, which I do not find as fascinating as it seems I'm supposed to.

c:  Frankly I'd rather watch at 9pm, except see (b) above.

PS:  Despite how much of a grump I often sound, especially on this thread (it is called Pet Peeves after all, though I'm constantly astonished by how many of these I seem to have), I do wish all of you Primetimer cohorts a Very Happy New Year, with less tsuris* and more joy than last year.

* Tsuris: Handy Yiddish word for troubles/problems/bothersome happenings, etc.

• Like 8
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

I do, however, take issue with logging into NextDoor the next morning and finding a bunch of "What is that noise??" posts from that time.  Gee, that's a stumper -- it's midnight on New Year's Eve, whatever could it be?

Aliens. 

My house in GA was 2 miles from where the Braves currently play. There were fireworks after every Friday home game, in addition to a short burst if they scored. I refuse to use Nextdoor but I'd look on my Ring neighborhood (just a hair less racist, probably because you have to have a Ring to use so it's a smaller user-pool) and every week right after the game was over the community was flooded with "did anyone else hear those gunshots?! They just kept going". 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
(edited)

I refuse to get a Next Door account, after I found out that everyone in your group has access to all of your information.      I also don't like the massive amount of advertising on there, and the posts soliciting money too.   (My browser home screen has some Next Door posts on it).  (I was told a few years ago that there was more information available, maybe that was just to the group organizers, the ones who have to invite you to register, but I don't see much of interest on there.)   The local ND group has a lot of lost dogs, lost cats, sales ads, begging for money, and people who want freebies.  I'll stick with my Ring door bell neighbor event list.   

I do have a ring door bell, and the neighborhood alerts, and we do have the 'were those gunshots' questions, unfortunately, lately most have been gunshots.       It's right in one area, so I bet it's a few people deliberately trying to freak out the neighbors.   I do find the neighbor alerts useful sometimes, we've had too large power outages in November, and the neighbor alerts were the only way I knew how big the blackout areas were, and what caused them.   

A while ago there was a huge boom, and it was heard really far from the Gulf Coast panhandle.  It was all over Next Door (my main screen has some Next Door posts on it), and on the neighbor alerts on Ring.   It was the Dragon capsule reentering for splashdown, and the sonic boom was heard for hundreds of miles.   I'm 90 miles from the coast and I heard it.  It was all over the Ring Neighborhood alerts.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

My house in GA was 2 miles from where the Braves currently play. There were fireworks after every Friday home game, in addition to a short burst if they scored. I refuse to use Nextdoor but I'd look on my Ring neighborhood (just a hair less racist, probably because you have to have a Ring to use so it's a smaller user-pool) and every week right after the game was over the community was flooded with "did anyone else hear those gunshots?! They just kept going". 

Is this the norm with Next Door--the daily queries re: gunshots, helicopters overhead, sirens nearby, loud vehicles, firecrackers, etc?  These people need to move to the country where they'll only hear birds tweeting & maybe cows mooing. We have passenger jets, military jets, traffic helicopters, police helicopters, all kinds of sirens that can cause noises. ND folks have begun to ignore these nervous people. 

• Like 1

The fireworks started here around 7PM yesterday and went on through about 12:20AM. I think the sole person firing things off was my bonehead neighbor across the road.  At least it is cold and damp here so no worries about fires as opposed to 4th of July. My worry was the kitties and how scared they would be. For some of them it is their first experience with the big booms. They went into their safe places early and didn't see them until around 7:30AM this morning.

I looked at Next Door just to see what was going on locally and there were all these complaints about fireworks. Geesh! "People shouldn't buy them because they are made in China!!" "People shouldn't just "blow up" their money..." blah, blah, blah... OMG!!!  It is so negative I don't think I am going to keep using it.

I never stay up for the ball drop, but I do get awakened by the big booms locally at midnight. It wouldn't be so bad if people just kept it near midnight and a bit after. This all evening long stuff is just so jolting for people and pets.

• Like 2
(edited)
58 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I refuse to get a Next Door account, after I found out that everyone in your group has access to all of your information. 

What group, and what information?  You have to use your real name, but you can choose not to display your last name, just your first name and your last name's first initial.  That and your neighborhood are all that's displayed when you post, and in your profile, unless you choose to share additional information.  I don't use Groups or Contacts, so I don't know how those work, but I think you still have privacy controls.

43 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

It wouldn't be so bad if people just kept it near midnight and a bit after. This all evening long stuff is just so jolting for people and pets.

That's my stance every 4th of July and NYE -- go right ahead, but for a reasonable time so those for whom it's traumatizing and those whose pets freak out can prepare, mitigate, and get through it.  All day/night and for another day or more before and after, as frequently happens around the 4th, is so unfair.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 11
3 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Is this the norm with Next Door--the daily queries re: gunshots, helicopters overhead, sirens nearby, loud vehicles, firecrackers, etc?  These people need to move to the country where they'll only hear birds tweeting & maybe cows mooing. We have passenger jets, military jets, traffic helicopters, police helicopters, all kinds of sirens that can cause noises. ND folks have begun to ignore these nervous people. 

I don't belong to Nextdoor. 

• Like 2

Whenever we hear a big BOOM, it's usually because someone has crashed into our pet bridge. It's almost always rental trucks because amateur truck drivers don't know what they're doing. Pet bridge in question-

image.png.5344fc29dd6bd4c52be9b0087c1ab1c9.png

• Like 5

I found a product that is cheaper in the women's version than the men's version!  It's the cream bicyclists put on their butt to prevent chafing, called Butt Butt'r.  There's a men's version and a women's version.  They're both $20 at REI, but on Amazon the price for the men's is $16.45 (list $19.99) and the women's is $14.27 (list $17.99).  It's a miracle!

Of course the women's version has a scent, and it might also not be quite as astringent as the men's.  Whatever--it's going on Mr. Outlier's ass.  He can deal with it.

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 9
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Whenever we hear a big BOOM, it's usually because someone has crashed into our pet bridge. It's almost always rental trucks because amateur truck drivers don't know what they're doing. Pet bridge in question-

image.png.5344fc29dd6bd4c52be9b0087c1ab1c9.png

Eleven feet six inches, that is a low bridge.  There's one in Durham, NC nicknamed the Can-Opener that is a smidge higher.  Someone set up a camera and a website to share the many crashes.

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
8 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Eleven feet six inches, that is a low bridge.  There's one in Durham, NC nicknamed the Can-Opener that is a smidge higher.  Someone set up a camera and a website to share the many crashes.

That's what it does. It shears the tops off of the box. You can see all the gouges in the concrete.

• Mind Blown 1

Happy new year, everyone. I haven't been here in awhile and am glad to see some old and new screen names.

On 12/30/2023 at 3:44 PM, stewedsquash said:

In case it’s not obvious, I don’t use a dishwasher. I hate them and also love washing dishes. I had a dishwasher in my old dream house and seldom used it. I dreaded loading it, waiting for a full load, the washing smell ( it didn’t stink it was just a steamy smell), waiting for it to dry, having to rewash crusted on stuff, unloading it. I can wash dry put away a sink/counter full in 20 minutes and be done with it.

Ditto. Ours broke down several years ago, right about the time appliance prices went through the roof. So we got used to not having one. Like you, I've come to enjoy hand washing dishes (Palmolive is also my favorite) and don't miss the dishwasher at all. It was noisy even with extra insulation, took a long time, and no one ever wanted to unload it. Now everyone just washes up after themselves, or someone washes while someone else dries. It actually kind of nice.

The trash can and recycling bin are now housed where the dishwasher used to be, behind a large cabinet door, so I don't have to look at them anymore.

22 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I refuse to get a Next Door account,

Same. My husband has one because he likes gossip, so he lets me know if anything important is going on.

• Like 6
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 2
On 1/1/2024 at 6:58 PM, annzeepark914 said:

LOL! I live in the boonies in MT and yes it is beautiful, full of birds and I even have deer in my yard. But the yahoos are here too. Lots of gun owners/hunters outdoor people that enjoy blowing up every/and any thing they can 4th of July and New Year's Eve. Those of us maybe more "civilized" people that also live here put up with their noise begrudgingly for the firework holidays.

But the result is a lot of fussing and harsh words on Next Door around these times of the year. We get the same stuff as most places I expect. Different opinions result in unkind words, I don't know what kind of moderation they have, but it does get rowdy some times. I just look at it once in a while to see if anything is going on locally I want to look into.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Gramto6 said:

But the result is a lot of fussing and harsh words on Next Door around these times of the year. We get the same stuff as most places I expect. Different opinions result in unkind words, I don't know what kind of moderation they have, but it does get rowdy some times. 

Re. what I highlighted:  Anything reported as discrimination or certain types of misinformation/conspiracy theories goes directly to NextDoor staff for review and they're great about removing it.  This is a desperately needed change as of a few years ago, when ND finally got enough bad press they acknowledged they had a serious problem in terms of racist, sexist content and moderation by leaving it solely to local volunteers.

All other violations reported (incivility, public shaming, prohibited activity such as selling pets, privacy violations, etc.) still go to local, volunteer moderators to vote on.  So that's inevitably spotty, as it entirely depends on how many moderators there are in a given area and how well they as a group know and apply the guidelines -- there is no mandatory training or testing.  (If a violation doesn't get removed by community review, there is a process for reporting directly to ND and they'll reliably take care of it, but of course that depends on people knowing that process is available and using it, and very few people have bothered to read enough to know about it.)

I'm the "Lead" for my neighborhood (not anything I sought out -- it's a long story, involving splitting our original boundary into two and being asked to serve as the lead of the new "North" version of that neighborhood as the existing ones were all in what became the "South" -- and I would have turned it down like I later did when invited to become a moderator here, as it takes time and can be a headache, but I felt an odd duty as there wasn't realistically anyone else then) so have been a moderator since not long after I first joined, back when NextDoor was new and posts only circulated among your own neighborhood (then they added Nearby Neighborhoods, then this bullshit Anyone feature they have now).  We've wound up with a pretty good group of mods, as most of those who either didn't bother to learn the guidelines or voted based not on those but whether they agreed with the opinion have, after warnings, either quit voting or been stripped of their voting power.  So my feed is certainly not entirely free of bigotry, misinformation, or civility violations, but those posts almost always get removed within a day or two; it's disheartening, but nowhere near as bad as it used to be.

But every once in a while there's a temporary glitch where I'll get stuff from the greater Los Angeles area on my feed, and, good lords, are there a lot of areas where moderation is non-existent!  And I know from the old national leads forum that's a problem in much of the country.  You need "regular" neighbors to know the guidelines in the first place and report violations rather than getting down in the mud, and then moderator neighbors reviewing those reports to know the guidelines, check their biases, and vote appropriately.  You can see how it's more likely to be a mess than a success, and that's what has indeed happened. 

Even a lot of the stuff within guidelines is annoying (so much paranoia and petty complaining on top of the stupid questions), but I love helping people find lost pets and like exchanging recommendations for local businesses and service providers, so I hang in there, do a lot of scrolling, vote conscientiously on reports, and toss to the paid moderators at ND the questionable cases or egregious violations that don't get resolved at the volunteer level.  But if I was in one of the many, many areas where violations were far more plentiful to begin with and moderation failed to remove most of them, I wouldn't find it worth the aggravation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 2
(edited)

The one social media site I used is LinkedIn.  not frequently but enough to see most updates on it.

I have one connection on there.  All of a sudden it seems like she works for herself and like everyday she has all these updates on her profile which show up every time I log in.  She is only the 2nd person I've unfollowed her content on.  The 1st was my mom's cousin when he let his politics be known on it.

It's kind of strange though.  I mean I remember her and she was like really really smart but like one of the last people I would ever think I thought would be overexposed on social media .  Guess thats one of the reasons I never bothered with Facebook/Instagram/etc.....  

Edited by BlueSkies
  • Useful 1

Thanks for that info @Bastet! I am a very infrequent user of NextDoor. I get the email of  daily posts and scan if there is anything I want to read. Basically I look at local lost cats. Because of my colony of ferals, occasionally one will show up I don't know, so if the poster gave its name, I go out and call for it and see if it comes. Haven't had a winner yet, but could happen and that would make me very happy. I also look at local events and that is basically it.

I saw all the comments re the fireworks and read a few and it was just not fun reading. I've never posted and probably never will which is why I really didn't look too carefully about moderation. I appreciate your sharing that info, kudos to you for taking on that task!

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

Peeve number two:  Big subway derailment in NYC on my line.  I'm hanging around my office for now before I decide how I will get home.  There is an alternate line I can take which gets me close to home.  Fortunately no serious injuries, but hours of no trains. 

• Sad 9
(edited)
4 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

And does anyone know where the Award Shows, TV Movies, etc. threads are? They used to be on my Home Page but they are gone….

Nope; once the Commercials forum disappeared off customized home pages (for those of us who followed it), we had to change to going to Other TV Talk and accessing it that way.  But the Awards Shows, TV Movies, and Specials/One-Offs (I can't remember exactly how that one is titled) forums aren't there, or anyplace else I've thought to look.  So I posted in the Questions/Bugs forum (no answer yet; it hasn't even been approved as a thread yet and may very well be one of several asking the same thing).

4 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Has anyone else’s Home Page somehow morphed? About 1/2 of “My” shows look like they have unread content “highlighted “ in yellow, but when I click on them, they don’t. So now I have to click on all of them to reset them. Or I can just mark the whole forum as read….and then figure out which forums might have new content since I last checked.

They reorganized, and my old shows that were single threads are now forums, with a General Discussion thread as the only topic within each of those forums.  Clicking on the show on my customized home page takes me directly to the General Discussion thread (because that's just the new name of the thread I was already following), so it works out the same, but that reorganization lit them up as having new content.

What I wound up doing is just opening the yellow forums/threads I thought likely to actually have new content, because they're fairly active, and then just hitting Mark Site Read to make the rest of the yellow go away.

4 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Also the site is very slow for me, so maybe that's related.

Yeah, I figure that's from all the reorganizing going on in the background.

And never mind -- now that they restored an older version (and lost a bunch of posts) just now, it's back to how it was (single threads rather than forums, those three missing forums we were discussing are back where they were, etc.).

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 1
16 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Nope; once the Commercials forum disappeared off customized home pages (for those of us who followed it), we had to change to going to Other TV Talk and accessing it that way.  But the Awards Shows, TV Movies, and Specials/One-Offs (I can't remember exactly how that one is titled) forums aren't there, or anyplace else I've thought to look.  So I posted in the Questions/Bugs forum (no answer yet; it hasn't even been approved as a thread yet and may very well be one of several asking the same thing).

They reorganized, and my old shows that were single threads are now forums, with a General Discussion thread as the only topic within each of those forums.  Clicking on the show on my customized home page takes me directly to the General Discussion thread (because that's just the new name of the thread I was already following), so it works out the same, but that reorganization lit them up as having new content.

What I wound up doing is just opening the yellow forums/threads I thought likely to actually have new content, because they're fairly active, and then just hitting Mark Site Read to make the rest of the yellow go away.

Yeah, I figure that's from all the reorganizing going on in the background.

And never mind -- now that they restored an older version (and lost a bunch of posts) just now, it's back to how it was (single threads rather than forums, those three missing forums we were discussing are back where they were, etc.).

Ah, yes, I see they’ve posted a banner announcement now. 

• Useful 1

I've been having posts disappear.  I see them show up initially, but then they go away.  I was wondering whether everything I said was objectionable in some way and thus being deleted, but I've received no warnings.  Of course, this post will probably disappear too! 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Calvada said:

I've been having posts disappear.  I see them show up initially, but then they go away.  I was wondering whether everything I said was objectionable in some way and thus being deleted, but I've received no warnings.  Of course, this post will probably disappear too! 

Nah, they lost many hours of posts in the last update. If you managed to get on here earlier today and posted, it's gone now. 

• Like 1
On 1/3/2024 at 8:24 PM, BlueSkies said:

The one social media site I used is LinkedIn.  not frequently but enough to see most updates on it.

I have one connection on there.  All of a sudden it seems like she works for herself and like everyday she has all these updates on her profile which show up every time I log in.  She is only the 2nd person I've unfollowed her content on.  The 1st was my mom's cousin when he let his politics be known on it.

It's kind of strange though.  I mean I remember her and she was like really really smart but like one of the last people I would ever think I thought would be overexposed on social media .  Guess thats one of the reasons I never bothered with Facebook/Instagram/etc.....  

She may have joined an MLM. Or trying to be an influencer. 

I'm thinking about moving the professional accounts I follow, to an account that I rarely use, and keeping my own for just my friends. I'm tired of people trying to sell me something, every damned day. They get things for free, or at a big discount, to sell them to us. A lot of them are taking big vacations, several times a year, living in luxury homes, etc, and we are just trying to get by.

Maybe I'd be less annoyed, if I could make money shilling things on social media. I do need the money, and who wouldn't want to be financially set? But I want to know what people really do like, and not what they've been paid to tell me they like. 

On 1/1/2024 at 9:05 PM, Gramto6 said:

The fireworks started here around 7PM yesterday and went on through about 12:20AM. I think the sole person firing things off was my bonehead neighbor across the road.  At least it is cold and damp here so no worries about fires as opposed to 4th of July. My worry was the kitties and how scared they would be. For some of them it is their first experience with the big booms. They went into their safe places early and didn't see them until around 7:30AM this morning.

I looked at Next Door just to see what was going on locally and there were all these complaints about fireworks. Geesh! "People shouldn't buy them because they are made in China!!" "People shouldn't just "blow up" their money..." blah, blah, blah... OMG!!!  It is so negative I don't think I am going to keep using it.

I never stay up for the ball drop, but I do get awakened by the big booms locally at midnight. It wouldn't be so bad if people just kept it near midnight and a bit after. This all evening long stuff is just so jolting for people and pets.

We heard one go off, as soon as we got home from the store, around 7pm, and I swore loudly. They started again at midnight. My dog was more relaxed in general, until they started them up again. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
28 minutes ago, Anela said:

We heard one go off, as soon as we got home from the store, around 7pm, and I swore loudly. They started again at midnight. My dog was more relaxed in general, until they started them up again. 

You were lucky! They started here at 7PM also but were going off all the time until after midnight. That whole fracking time!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Fire 1

I have freakishly short legs and usually buy trousers from the petite section, or buy pairs that are supposed to be short but are usually long on me.

I was looking at track suit bottoms/sweat pants the other day in Costco and they were of course miles too long, so I checked the children's section.  The only pair that were long enough (just) were the XL 18/20!!!  What average height/size 18/20 year old has such short legs?  Plus the waist is barely comfortable with the elastic at full stretch, so to speak.  The kid in the picture is perfectly normal looking, and their pants go to their shoe tops with room to spare.

I'm 5'6", 120lbs.

• Mind Blown 1
(edited)

I've been buying men's pj bottoms for years!  They fit fine and have nice deep pockets! I don't understand why women's pjs bottoms have such puny pockets, if they even have them!

Not much luck with sweatpants either! I haven't tried mens sweats though, I will go look at some on Amazon.

Edited by Gramto6
  • Like 2

I mostly buy from independent (bonus if they’re local) any/or sustainable brands though I have to admit that t-shirts are more likely mass market things like Old Navy.   The local/indie ones are easy to directly speak with if you have issues and:or questions about sizing too.  There’s one brand I love, but have found that lately, they’ve fallen into the trap of vanity sizing (though they completely deny it)!  I’m not as small as I was in my late 20s and early 30s, yet I find that their XS pieces made since the pandemic are HUGE on me!  

• Mind Blown 3
  • Useful 3
3 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Job postings that don't list a salary, or worse, show a high salary on Indeed that turns out not to be remotely close to the actual salary.

I'm convinced that's how they get you.

That, and the portion on the application where you fill out the days and hours you want to work... and they're all "Fuck you, you'll work when we want you to!" 

• Like 4
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Job postings that don't list a salary, or worse, show a high salary on Indeed that turns out not to be remotely close to the actual salary.

I've heard job recruiters post fake job ads online so as to get your contact information kind of thing and reel you in.

I cant confirm or deny that.  

• Like 1
  • Wink 2
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

New York now requires that employers list salary in job ads.    Sometimes they list a big range, but at least I can see what the low end is and if it’s more than what I’m currently making.  

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

I've heard job recruiters post fake job ads online so as to get your contact information kind of thing and reel you in.

I cant confirm or deny that.  

This is true (I was a recruiter and lots of my candidates had this happen to them). More often though companies post openings (or have recruiters post them) that are not actually "open" (i.e. they are not really ready to hire) in order to collect resumes and pre-screen people so if they do decide to fund the opening (particularly if it is a new position, not a replacement scenario) they have a bunch of people theoretically "on tap". It is what it is...

• Useful 3