Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

On 9/11/2023 at 6:15 PM, annzeepark914 said:

That's so strange--to put pimiento cheese inside various sandwiches, and not even mentioning it. Very strange.

It was. I just looked up their menu and they still have the sandwich (it was a BLT which makes it even odder) and it lists it now. Given what happens when I eat pimento, it's something I would have asked to leave off if I knew. Mayo, please. They include pimento cheese dip with their appetizers, I knew they had it, but never in a million years would I have expected it to be used as a spread on a BLT. Thankfully, my allergy is not life threatening but the 12 or so hours after were not fun.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Hugs 5
56 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I've been looking into recipes today, because this lifelong New Yorker now wants to try Pimiento Cheese. 

This is Damaris Phillips's recipe. She can be deeply annoying, but I would trust her on southern food. And there are a lot fewer than fifteen ingredients. One of the reviewers says it's too garlicky, but I personally don't know what that means. I'll be trying this, too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

https://pimentocheese.com/locations/
@EtheltoTillie I put in New York City and it looks like you either need to head to Jersey or a BJ’s warehouse and you will find Palmetto cheese. 

https://calliesbiscuits.com/apps/store-locator 

Callie’s might be easier to find. 

Both are slightly different but both are perfectly good homemade versions. Callie has a show on PBS. She has Callie’s Hot Biscuit in Charleston. The show was about her opening a place in Charlotte and I halfway watched it. 

• Like 1

You are all making me crazy with the pimiento cheese talk! Oh, I want some. When I was little, my grandparents always had some that came in a cute little glass jar with little cut-out parts and they saved them for juice glasses. It wasn't fancy at all, but I liked it! I need to find a vegan version. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • LOL 3

@emma675 and @annzeepark914 thank you both! I went looking in my bookshelves last night and found my Anne George books and have started in on the first one.  It's been long enough that I don't remember whodunit or why!  As a bonus, the last book in the series has an inscription in it from my mother.  I had forgotten she gave that to me one Christmas.  Made me smile to see her handwriting and to read her little note to me.  Thank you both again!

And to make this peevy - I need to get 3 of the books in the series and I can't decide whether to go cheap and get them on kindle or buy them outright so they can join their sisters on my bookshelf!

• Like 1
  • Love 4
43 minutes ago, Laura Holt said:

And to make this peevy - I need to get 3 of the books in the series and I can't decide whether to go cheap and get them on kindle or buy them outright so they can join their sisters on my bookshelf!

Why not both? 😁

• Like 4

The fact that it’s 2023 and the minor league hockey team I have partial season tickets to still makes me pick out my games on a piece of paper (checking off the boxes for the games I want) and mailing it or faxing it back. I don’t have time to do that and then go to the post office for a stamp, guys. Come on. How have you not figured out how to get this online? Especially given that our tickets are digital now too! 

Then again it is our 25th anniversary season and faxing or mailing game pick forms is very 1999. So OK I can see that I guess. 🤣

Edited by Cloud9Shopper
  • Like 1
16 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I've been looking into recipes today, because this lifelong New Yorker now wants to try Pimiento Cheese! 

1. It's tempting to buy shredded cheese, but please don't. ALL shredded cheese has a super-fine dusting of flour or cornstarch or something to keep the cheese from clumping together too badly. The change in taste is miniscule, but it's there. Freshly grated cheese is far better.

2. Start with less mayo and add slowly, tasting until YOU like it. 

3. Draining the pimento is optional. Some people like the flavor the liquid imparts.

4. Garlic is also optional. You decide.

5. The "lighter color" PC someone mentioned probably had a different cheese mixed with the cheddar. Some are quite tasty!

6. After 70+ years of eating and making PC, a friend recently threw a twist on me. She added chopped green olives, already stuffed with pimientos, into her mix, along with a little of the briny olive juice. I loved it.

7. My only peeve: People who insist there is only one "right" way to make it. Just enjoy! There ain't no Pimento Cheese Police!

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

The fact that it’s 2023 and the minor league hockey team I have partial season tickets to still makes me pick out my games on a piece of paper (checking off the boxes for the games I want) and mailing it or faxing it back. I don’t have time to do that and then go to the post office for a stamp, guys. Come on. How have you not figured out how to get this online? Especially given that our tickets are digital now too! 

Then again it is our 25th anniversary season and faxing or mailing game pick forms is very 1999. So OK I can see that I guess. 🤣

I imagine the office staff who have to input all of those pieces of paper and faxes are just as peeved as you to have to do everything by hand.  Unless there's some old-timer in the office who is the one refusing to get with the times and go completely digital. 

• Like 1

@HissyFit thanks for the info on shredded cheese.  In fact, every recipe I've seen also mentions that tip.

I usually avoid pre-shredded cheese for my mac and cheese recipe for the same reason.  Unless I'm being very lazy.  In the Pimiento Cheese recipes the failings of the pre-shredded cheese would be even more obvious, as the cheese is not melted. 

@Cloud9Shopper  Don't you keep at least a few forever stamps around the house in case you have to mail something? 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, HissyFit said:

1. It's tempting to buy shredded cheese, but please don't. ALL shredded cheese has a super-fine dusting of flour or cornstarch or something to keep the cheese from clumping together too badly. The change in taste is miniscule, but it's there. Freshly grated cheese is far better.

2. Start with less mayo and add slowly, tasting until YOU like it. 

3. Draining the pimento is optional. Some people like the flavor the liquid imparts.

4. Garlic is also optional. You decide.

5. The "lighter color" PC someone mentioned probably had a different cheese mixed with the cheddar. Some are quite tasty!

6. After 70+ years of eating and making PC, a friend recently threw a twist on me. She added chopped green olives, already stuffed with pimientos, into her mix, along with a little of the briny olive juice. I loved it.

7. My only peeve: People who insist there is only one "right" way to make it. Just enjoy! There ain't no Pimento Cheese Police!

I don’t disagree with any of that, but I’ll just say I’ll take my “shortcut” version with pre-shredded cheese over anything I could buy pre-made. 

• Like 3
5 hours ago, HissyFit said:

It's tempting to buy shredded cheese, but please don't. ALL shredded cheese has a super-fine dusting of flour or cornstarch or something to keep the cheese from clumping together too badly. The change in taste is miniscule, but it's there. Freshly grated cheese is far better.

Amen!  And it changes how the cheese melts.  Also, some brands have been found to be nearly ten percent cellulose, so there's also the fact they're enhancing their profits -- they don't take any money off for the portion of that bag that isn't cheese.  Some brands were mixing in cheaper varieties of cheese, too, yet charging as if it was all the more expensive stuff.  (This happens a lot with extra virgin olive oil, too.)

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Er, please see my post about this recently.  It's not that easy. 

Oh I know. I can't seem to send them to my MIL. The post office doesn't recognize her address. I have to have them sent to me, then dropped off at her building when I am in her neck of the woods.

Edited by Salacious Kitty
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Useful 1

The “my kid is the most perfect out of any kid ever!” parents. Which to be fair, describes a lot of parents but when it’s taken to the extreme. I saw a Facebook friend bragging today about her kid got accepted into a college a week after that applying and talking about how it means her daughter’s hard work paid off and she’s so amazing and this and that. It’s not like your kid just got into Harvard, Carol; calm down. (I also have no idea how long it takes to review an undergraduate application but it’s not as if this was some months-long suspenseful wait for an acceptance letter at the mailbox.) 

This is the same person who also posted a picture of a spreadsheet over the summer showing off all the schools Daughter was applying to, complete with each school’s application fee and their tuition costs. I think she just wanted to brag that Daughter is smart enough to apply to top schools like Cornell, NYU and UPenn and show off how much money she has that they can afford near $800 of application fees. Weird flex, as we say these days. 

I feel like there’s being proud of your kids and then there’s…this. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
On 9/13/2023 at 11:09 AM, Mindthinkr said:

You might be able to find Pimento Cheese on Goldbelly. 

I get their Maffaletta olive salad from them.  I put it on a Ritz cracker with a piece of cheese on it.  Delicious, and great for my blood pressure, lol.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

I'm sure I've ranted before about the way networks will air rerun episodes out of sequence.  Well here's another one.  It's bad enough when they do this anyway (IMO) but when they are doing it when one of the main characters is pregnant it's just so stupid.  One night she's pregnant and someone's throwing her a baby shower, the next night she and her husband are considering whether to even have a child and then another  night guess who's sweetly sleeping in the nursery?  My peeve is this  - but also that my husband keeps saying "calm down dear it's just a TV show". I know that but I'm still going to get royally peeved when it happens!

• Like 4
16 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

This is the same person who also posted a picture of a spreadsheet over the summer showing off all the schools Daughter was applying to, complete with each school’s application fee and their tuition costs. I think she just wanted to brag that Daughter is smart enough to apply to top schools like Cornell, NYU and UPenn and show off how much money she has that they can afford near $800 of application fees. Weird flex, as we say these days. 

This is ridiculous! Especially if Daughter's acceptance turned out to not be at a "top school", but even if she got in someplace "top" what a strange exposure of one's finances. So not anybody else's business and kinda embarrassing...

• Like 4
16 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

Which to be fair, describes a lot of parents but when it’s taken to the extreme. I saw a Facebook friend bragging today about her kid got accepted into a college a week after that applying and talking about how it means her daughter’s hard work paid off and she’s so amazing and this and that.

When I was a freshman in college, I applied to transfer to a different college out of state.  I still remember standing in a friend's dorm room opening the acceptance letter and saying, out loud, "Well that was fast."  Like return mail fast.

My take, however, was that it must not be a very good school.  😀

(Then years later it was identified as one of the "elite" schools caught up in the admissions cheating scandal.  🤣  )

But aside from that, with all due respect, why do you read this person's posts?  Or maybe it's completely out of character and she otherwise is a fantastic Facebook denizen and this was a complete surprise (in which case I'd file it under "good information" and quit looking at her posts--I don't need the annoyance (which is why I'm not on Facebook, now that I think about it)). 

• Like 6
1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

But aside from that, with all due respect, why do you read this person's posts?  Or maybe it's completely out of character and she otherwise is a fantastic Facebook denizen and this was a complete surprise (in which case I'd file it under "good information" and quit looking at her posts--I don't need the annoyance (which is why I'm not on Facebook, now that I think about it)). 

I’ve put quite a few people on “snooze” on Facebook over the years. It’s a nice option for 30 days. 😁 

Edited by ginger90
  • Like 5
16 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

I’ve put quite a few people on “snooze” on Facebook over the years. It’s a nice option for 30 days. 😁 

I am pretty selective about who I friend on FB and even with that at any given time I probably have at least 5 or so on snooze.  Not because they post hateful things but because they post constantly about nothing at all.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Laura Holt said:

I'm sure I've ranted before about the way networks will air rerun episodes out of sequence.  Well here's another one.  It's bad enough when they do this anyway (IMO) but when they are doing it when one of the main characters is pregnant it's just so stupid.  One night she's pregnant and someone's throwing her a baby shower, the next night she and her husband are considering whether to even have a child and then another  night guess who's sweetly sleeping in the nursery?  My peeve is this  - but also that my husband keeps saying "calm down dear it's just a TV show". I know that but I'm still going to get royally peeved when it happens!

I watch SVU reruns on USA during the week after work and they do this all the time! I was disappointed the other day because they were showing the first part of the S17 finale (with Brad Garrett as the perp) and I was looking forward to seeing Heartfelt Passages after, which is probably one of my all-time favorite SVU episodes. But instead they went right to an S18 episode. (And of course Heartfelt Passages is scheduled for tonight at 11 pm, AKA my bedtime. 🤣

2 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

When I was a freshman in college, I applied to transfer to a different college out of state.  I still remember standing in a friend's dorm room opening the acceptance letter and saying, out loud, "Well that was fast."  Like return mail fast.

My take, however, was that it must not be a very good school.  😀

(Then years later it was identified as one of the "elite" schools caught up in the admissions cheating scandal.  🤣  )

The person honestly isn’t that annoying of a poster otherwise. I guess I just found the whole “look how much money I am spending on my kid’s college applications and how smart she is!” to be odd. I mean if it makes her happy then cool. Just that even in this social media age I don’t think we have to share everything. 

(Then again I live paycheck to paycheck and have a ton of debt so what do I know?) 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

45 minutes ago, Laura Holt said:

I am pretty selective about who I friend on FB and even with that at any given time I probably have at least 5 or so on snooze.  Not because they post hateful things but because they post constantly about nothing at all.

I wish Facebook had some kind of “smart snooze” so I can snooze my relative’s dozens of “inspirational” and “heartwarming” meme posts per day, but still see when she actually posts news about family. It used to be I could “hide” the stuff I wasn’t interested in, and it would sort of learn my preferences for a while, but that no longer seems to have any effect. Where is AI when you need it?!?!

• Like 4
25 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I wish Facebook had some kind of “smart snooze” so I can snooze my relative’s dozens of “inspirational” and “heartwarming” meme posts per day, but still see when she actually posts news about family.

This is my problem.  I know eventually I will miss some family news I would actually want to read about but several of my cousins post constant memes - for example if it's Be Kind to Cats Day (or whatever) they don't just post one meme they post 20. 

• LOL 2
2 hours ago, Laura Holt said:

I've posted how I cope with Facebook stuff before. First, I only allow close relatives as FB "friends". If there are annoying posts from some of them? I hit snooze for 30 days. I check on their pages occasionally, so they can't detect I'm not interested in their stuff (while I occasionally snoose them). So, for me? Facebook is a fun, "live" photo album of family, close relatives & good friends. Anyone else can get lost!

• Like 1
On 9/11/2023 at 8:55 AM, annzeepark914 said:

What? Who bought Kroger? Kroger bought Harris Teeter several years ago and HT is my main go-to supermarket 😶. ETA: as Emily Litella used to say, "Never mind".  Kroger merged with Albertsons.

Late to the party! So Kroger has merged with Albertsons? I wonder if all Albertsons will start carrying some Kroger brand items? I live in MT no where near any Kroger but we have an Albertsons up in town.  I never go there but will check it out now!

On 9/11/2023 at 9:11 AM, peacheslatour said:

New YorkCNN — 

Kroger and Albertsons are selling roughly 400 stores to Piggly Wiggly’s parent company in an attempt to win antitrust approval for the mega merger between the grocery stores.

C&S Wholesale Grocers will pay $1.9 billion, with the deal expected to close in early 2024 subject to regulatory approval, the company said in a statement. C&S, a privately held company, operates 500 grocery stores under the Piggly Wiggly and Grand Union banners and is also a major grocery wholesaler.

Oh boo hoo sounds  like an Eastern thing not in my area. :(

• Sad 1
On 9/11/2023 at 11:11 AM, peacheslatour said:

C&S, a privately held company, operates 500 grocery stores under the Piggly Wiggly and Grand Union banners and is also a major grocery wholesaler.

We used to shop at a Grand Union over the border in New Jersey growing up, I haven’t seen one in years.  

• Like 2

My mom grew up in NYC & she had fun pronouncing words/names like so many (new) New Yorkers did: Grand Junion, Georgeda Wash (bridge), stromberries...can't remember the rest  But then her two NY State kids pronounced water as wawder (we can't help ourselves😁)

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I wish Facebook had some kind of “smart snooze” so I can snooze my relative’s dozens of “inspirational” and “heartwarming” meme posts per day, but still see when she actually posts news about family. It used to be I could “hide” the stuff I wasn’t interested in, and it would sort of learn my preferences for a while, but that no longer seems to have any effect. Where is AI when you need it?!?!

The Facebook algorithm flat out does not understand people.  I like sports and do follow my teams plus a couple of big name general sports pages.  Facebook interprets this to mean I like every single NFL team and golf.  So I get suggested posts that are a fan page for a team I despise or golf.  The AI cannot comprehend the nuance that goes with an actual human person liking something. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
14 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

You'd think Facebook could figure this small problem out. But the snooze only lasts a month so you have to do this every 30 days. I'm having a problem with goofy or annoying post (no idea what to call photos or cartoons with captions) especially the ones posted in a private group. I hit the X and/or the 3 dots but the darn stuff doesn't disappear.

Edited by annzeepark914
3 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

The Facebook algorithm flat out does not understand people.  I like sports and do follow my teams plus a couple of big name general sports pages.  Facebook interprets this to mean I like every single NFL team and golf.  So I get suggested posts that are a fan page for a team I despise or golf.  The AI cannot comprehend the nuance that goes with an actual human person liking something. 

Yeah this annoys me.

Even more so when I comment on another teams random stuff that does come up (I know it will just make it worse for me and get more of their posts...) and the fans are all 'why do you follow or comment on a team you hate!' Like they don't understand the bad Facebook algorithms. I don't follow it just comes up.  You try to explain that it goes nowhere.....being pulled down a pit of despair deeper and deeper

As for Facebook, I don't mess around with snoozing, I unfollow the folks that post daily reminders that they have a beautiful daughter, or love their son, yadda yadda yadda. Drives me batty. If you want credit for loving your kid, I have no time for you.

If they should tag you in something, you'll see it, they don't know you've done it, and you can still peruse their feed if you so desire, but you're not subjected to the daily monotony.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Like 1

A few years ago I went through the process of picking out stamps online from the USPS. Then I discovered they were going to charge me shipping, and I never placed the order.

I mean, I get that the post office needs to charge a small amount to deliver mail, but I couldn't get past the idea in my head that THEY WERE COMING TO MY HOUSE ANYWAY, WHY CAN'T THEY JUST DROP OFF THE STAMPS WHILE THEY'RE HERE?

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 5

6 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I've never had it. What do I win?

Neither have I. When it first started getting popular my job at the time involved sitting at a desk working on a computer. The last thing I wanted to do at night was sit at another desk looking at another computer.

Some people are astonished that I’m not on it and wonder how I keep up with everyone. There is a family chat and I get enough information. I am closer to some members of my family and we text and talk.

I often wonder how many petty spats and growing irritations with people I have avoided through the years.

• Like 7

Yeah, well, I'm on FaceBook as it's the best way for me to stay connected with my friends and family in India and my other friends who live in different states.

And here I thought Piggly-Wiggly was a made up name in a book I'd just re-read set in the Ozarks. Who knew?

• Like 1
  • LOL 6

I have a completely fake Facebook profile (also X and Instagram), with no posts or friends, because many businesses leave customers no option but to communicate with them through social media.

• Useful 2