Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

6 hours ago, PRgal said:

Speaking of looks, guys rarely spoke to me in a "maybe this could eventually lead to a relationship" sort of way until I was in my mid-ish 20s (say, 23-24).  I have no clue why.  I had that really weird "awkward" kiss from a random guy in my last year of high school (and it wasn't even a REAL kiss - we're talking about a peck on the cheek sort of thing) and l didn't have my REAL kiss for another four years (again, fairly random, at a university semi-formal.  Don't really remember his name.  I didn't even know if he wanted a relationship (didn't give me a phone number) and I didn't want one at all at the time - at least not with someone a year below me as it happened just three months shy of my graduation).  Years later, I wonder if I was being an a-hole for not following up...but at least I fulfilled a bucket list item...I know I'm not ugly and wasn't at the time either (okay, maybe my acne scared some people, but that was high school).  

To keep this a legit pet peeve:  Yes, for the longest time, not getting guys to like me/being completely ignored by men was a pet peeve of mine.  As in they didn't even bother to look (okay, I was in drama, so many of the (few) guys there weren't into girls, but I was also a history major) at me (other than at clubs.  And I didn't club much).  I didn't have a lot of girl friends, so there wasn't much of a chance to be set up.  

Awwwww, @PRgal, I feel your pain---from my teen years to mid-20's I remember feeling the *exact* same way---in fact, that sounds like a mirror image of my own experience.

It's tough when you're a high school drama geek who didn't get any chances to really date or get much experience in that way, especially when you're more focused on good grades and a stellar high school/college experience. And I was a cute chick and all, but like you, I just didn't get out all that much so my dating/romance skills were pretty limited then.

I'm willing to bet that plenty of other teenagers were like us and simply late bloomers. I see the chicks who were goddesses in high school, and now 20+ years later half of them resemble Jaba the Hutt---so trust me, it's far more satisfying to bloom later than to peak too early.

But yes, it ticked me off too that guys didn't seek me out or seem remotely into me at that time...there were never any dance invites or prom dates for me...probably didn't help that I went to an all-girl private high school. Or maybe I just didn't give off sexy/skanky enough vibes then or something. I'd see the chicks who got dates/boyfriends and I was similarly baffled---I couldn't image what in the Hell some of those fug broads were doing to get their decent guys.

As soon as I graduated college and got my heart broken by my first true love at age 25 though, I went hog wild---man, I had dudes crawling all over me! Not anybody really decent, but I sure had enough fun to make up for all those lonely nights of staying in and being good. Thank God my husband finally found me because I was starting to think I was condemned to be a big ol' ho; Samantha Jones didn't have anything on me.

So are you at least enjoying the adult single life now? Hopefully plenty of fellas looking your way now that you have the mature confidence of adulthood to back you up??

Edited by Sun-Bun
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Maizie131 said:

Can I please bitch about Christmas movies on both Hallmark channels starting 24/7 this coming Friday and lasting until December 31st?!?!?

Yes.  Daily, if you wish.  Because fuck that.  I'm watching The Golden Girls tonight, as I do, and at the top of every episode is a banner about "Countdown to Christmas," and a crawl saying "The Golden Girls are going on Christmas vacation, but will be back in January."  No one leaves for Christmas vacation in October, you fuckwits.

Those movies they air in place of regular programming are horrible, so it was bad enough when they started up after Thanksgiving.  Anything beyond the 24th and 25th of December would be annoying.  But in October?! 

• Love 11
38 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Yes.  Daily, if you wish.  Because fuck that.  I'm watching The Golden Girls tonight, as I do, and at the top of every episode is a banner about "Countdown to Christmas," and a crawl saying "The Golden Girls are going on Christmas vacation, but will be back in January."  No one leaves for Christmas vacation in October, you fuckwits.

Those movies they air in place of regular programming are horrible, so it was bad enough when they started up after Thanksgiving.  Anything beyond the 24th and 25th of December would be annoying.  But in October?! 

At least TV Land airs GG. I'm not watching Monk anymore but WE Network started airing it recently. HMM started airing it earlier this year.

HMM (Hallmark Movies & Mysteries) which I watch more of is starting the Xmas stuff this coming Friday. I'm not sure if the regular Hallmark channel is starting that day too. I finally burned out on their regular rom com movies for the most part. I do like some of the mystery ones though and will kinda miss them. I think I started watching older crime/mystery shows on other channels more in preparation for the Xmas movies taking over without realizing it at first.

My peeve is that they are starting this earlier and earlier in October. I wouldn't be surprised if one day the entire month of October was taken over by Xmas movies too. They started a new Drama channel which I don't know if anyone gets. Haven't checked to see if that channel is getting the same treatment or not though.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Sun-Bun said:

Awwwww, @PRgal, I feel your pain---from my teen years to mid-20's I remember feeling the *exact* same way---in fact, that sounds like a mirror image of my own experience.

It's tough when you're a high school drama geek who didn't get any chances to really date or get much experience in that way, especially when you're more focused on good grades and a stellar high school/college experience. And I was a cute chick and all, but like you, I just didn't get out all that much so my dating/romance skills were pretty limited then.

I'm willing to bet that plenty of other teenagers were like us and simply late bloomers. I see the chicks who were goddesses in high school, and now 20+ years later half of them resemble Jaba the Hutt---so trust me, it's far more satisfying to bloom later than to peak too early.

But yes, it ticked me off too that guys didn't seek me out or seem remotely into me at that time...there were never any dance invites or prom dates for me...probably didn't help that I went to an all-girl private high school. Or maybe I just didn't give off sexy/skanky enough vibes then or something. I'd see the chicks who got dates/boyfriends and I was similarly baffled---I couldn't image what in the Hell some of those fug broads were doing to get their decent guys.

As soon as I graduated college and got my heart broken by my first true love at age 25 though, I went hog wild---man, I had dudes crawling all over me! Not anybody really decent, but I sure had enough fun to make up for all those lonely nights of staying in and being good. Thank God my husband finally found me because I was starting to think I was condemned to be a big ol' ho; Samantha Jones didn't have anything on me.

So are you at least enjoying the adult single life now? Hopefully plenty of fellas looking your way now that you have the mature confidence of adulthood to back you up??

OMG, you ARE me!  I, too, went to an all-girls high school, and while we had productions with the guys' school down the street, those guys, well, they never saw me (or, to an extent, most of us, I think) as anyone other than that girl (those girls, if you mean us as a group) next door.  Or even...their sister (we weren't official sibling schools).  And I guess, like you, I didn't give off that Samantha vibe so to speak.  Ha!  Luckily, things changed, and as a late bloomer, met and fell in love with a wonderful guy in my mid-20s.  I'm now married (I married "on time," so to speak - as in around the same time everyone else in my circle did, at the age of 30).  No kids (whole other issue which I've posted about on various threads), but still trying - pet peeve right here:  people asking us why we don't have kids yet, and that we are pretty much out of time (I'm 38) because they think biological kids are the only "real" way to have kids.  Adoption or donors aren't..."real."  

Sometimes I wonder if the guy I made out with at that dance ever thought I was a big a-hole b!tch for not pursuing anything.  But most guys don't think like we do.  

Edited by PRgal
  • Love 3

About those Hallmark movies: I have never watched one but the plot descriptions always seem to be that a successful businesswoman from the big city comes home to her small town roots for some kind of family emergency and then finds her destiny is to marry some homeboy and mother his adorable moppets. Is that so? Because way to advance women's options, people...

• Love 14
20 hours ago, Maizie131 said:

Can I please bitch about Christmas movies on both Hallmark channels starting 24/7 this coming Friday and lasting until December 31st?!?!?  I thoroughly enjoy watching Hallmark Movies & Mysteries because I love Columbo, Matlock, Diagnosis Murder & Monk.  They're apparently all gone for the next 2 fricking months!!  Just today I ordered the "complete" Columbo series ($64 on Amazon), I've already got complete Monk.  Is it just me or does anyone else agree this is absolutely ridiculous?  Can't it wait until Thanksgiving Day to start?!? 

Yes, it does.  I refuse to watch a Christmas movie until at least Thanksgiving.  I did notice that Hallmark this year is having an Autumn movie marathon, instead, this year.  So, that's a nice change.  Maybe their ratings last year on October Christmas movies was not good.  I will also admit to watching one Christmas movie (but no more) during the Christmas in July Marathon. 

• Love 3
20 hours ago, Maizie131 said:

Can I please bitch about Christmas movies on both Hallmark channels starting 24/7 this coming Friday and lasting until December 31st?!?!?  I thoroughly enjoy watching Hallmark Movies & Mysteries because I love Columbo, Matlock, Diagnosis Murder & Monk.  They're apparently all gone for the next 2 fricking months!!  Just today I ordered the "complete" Columbo series ($64 on Amazon), I've already got complete Monk.  Is it just me or does anyone else agree this is absolutely ridiculous?  Can't it wait until Thanksgiving Day to start?!? 

If you have MeTV and Cozi, you can at least catch all of these shows on both. Well, Columbo is on both, but the rest, on MeTV. Except for Monk.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, PRgal said:

:  people asking us why we don't have kids yet, and that we are pretty much out of time (I'm 38) because they think biological kids are the only "real" way to have kids. 

I often respond to what I perceive to be overly personal questions with "Why do you ask?" which leaves most people in a self conscious stammer and they usually leave my presence almost immediately.  In this case, I would seriously reply "Why would you ask such a personal question?" 

Knowing my penchant for using this question as a buffer, one of my brother's once asked me that same question when I asked him something.  My reply:  "In order to find out".  And then I laughed and laughed at my own wit while he called me a chuckle head.

I don't often watch the channels that start the Christmas movies 24/7, but I loathe the radio stations that play Christmas music non-stop.  I think the local one to me starts the day after Thanksgiving.

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 11
10 minutes ago, DeLurker said:

I don't often watch the channels that start the Christmas movies 24/7, but I loathe the radio stations that play Christmas music non-stop.  I think the local one to me starts the day after Thanksgiving.

I don't like that either except for Christmas Day and perhaps Christmas Eve.

• Love 4
On 10/21/2017 at 10:23 PM, AgentRXS said:

The only thing worse than my stomach to me is my face. I had Bell's Palsy (sudden paralysis on the side of your face) at both ages 9 and 16. I've mostly recovered except my lips droop a tiny bit to one side. And one eye appears bigger than the other. Its not noticeable until I take a photo of myself. It also makes my smile look at bit crooked. I tend to avoid taking photos at all costs.

Before I could even begin to accept my weight gain, I have to learn how to accept my facial features...its a real battle, let me tell you.

I'm self conscious about my mismatched eyes too and one side of my mouth has some nerve damage - the result of the assault ten years ago.  If I take the time to be more careful with my makeup and face positioning in photos, that can offset it.  But in day-to-day stuff, I don't even think about it unless I am looking in the mirror.

And I always found people with a crooked smile to be a bit more interesting - they tend to look like they are up to some mischief or a little bit of "I know something you don't" (but not in a smug way).

21 hours ago, Maizie131 said:

ETA:  I'm sorry for disrupting your conversation about weight/clothes.  I must say I'm disturbed that my 11 y.o. absolutely gorgeous Granddaughter is 4'10" and now weighs 110 lbs.  I am NOT happy, but would never EVER say anything to her.  Apparently this is against Grandmother Rules.  I just make damn sure whenever she comes over that I have NO junk in my house. 

As @Mindthinkr & @backformore noted, she's at the age where she's going to be going through some pretty substantial changes.  It is unlikely that she is unaware that she's put on some weight, but she doesn't have the maturity or understanding to know that it probably is a result of the big hormonal chemistry calling the shots.  And that can lead to anxiety and depression that she doesn't understand how to cope with, except by eating more (possibly).  Pre-teen and teen girl years are seldom without some serious self-shaming.

She needs a safe, soft space to land right now.  If there is a sudden change at your house where there is NO junk food available, she could end up feeling judged (and coming up short) by you too and I doubt you want her to feel that way.  Maybe tell her before she comes that you are trying to cut back on the tempting snacks so Grandma's cupboards may be a little less appealing than normal, but do keep some treat she likes on hand especially for her.

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 12
42 minutes ago, DeLurker said:

I don't often watch the channels that start the Christmas movies 24/7, but I loathe the radio stations that play Christmas music non-stop.

Yes!. I cannot stand Christmas music. Not because of my dislike of the holiday, but because of the Disney-musical-fake-cheer happiness of it all. If there were a hell, mine would be being forced to listen to Christmas music/happy musical music 24/7.

All this Christmas scheduling nonsense makes me so happy that I have Hulu. In the case of GG, they have the full series in all its unedited glory. I never watched Monk so I'm not sure if they have that.

My pet peeve is Netflix. 80% of their programming selection is total garbage IMO, but I keep it because I have a few Netflix-produced series I like. None of them currently have a season running,so I hate that I'm paying for a service that I barely use. Of course, I then binge-watch the seasons as soon as they air. I'm paying for a years worth of Netflix and realistically only watch it a couple days (probably 30 days worth in total) out of the year.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, DeLurker said:

The last few years, Sirius has switched one or two channels to 24/7 Christmas music in the first week of NOVEMBER, including one channel that I usually listen to frequently.  They add a few more closer to the holiday, and run them through New Year's Day.  One time, I e-mailed them and said "Please make it stop!" but never heard back.

Edited by Moose135
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, Qoass said:

About those Hallmark movies: I have never watched one but the plot descriptions always seem to be that a successful businesswoman from the big city comes home to her small town roots for some kind of family emergency and then finds her destiny is to marry some homeboy and mother his adorable moppets. Is that so? Because way to advance women's options, people...

Yes!  An educated career woman is a cold hearted city bitch, who needs to discover small town values and find true happiness being a wife and mother.

Only sometimes it's the reverse, and a stuck-up business man is humbled to find true love with the small town owner of a bakery/florist/quaint shop and decides to settle down.

The over-riding ideas are always that big city, business, career types are unfeeling egotistical assholes, while simple folks from small towns are the only ones who understand the true meaning of love, family, and Christmas.

Barf.

• Love 18

I'm down with it, too. I'm so pissed to be losing my GG's in the morning when I'm getting ready and at night when I'm going to bed. And yes, I own all of the dvd's, but I don't care.  Screw you, Hallmark Channel. If you mess with my Hart to Hart airings, I'm gonna cut a bitch.

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, DeLurker said:

I often respond to what I perceive to be overly personal questions with "Why do you ask?" which leaves most people in a self conscious stammer and they usually leave my presence almost immediately.  In this case, I would seriously reply "Why would you ask such a personal question?" 

I usually respond telling them that there are "health issues" (truth without being TMI), but they still say "why don't you TRY??!!" And proceed to tell me so-and-so had a child at 40-something, blah blah blah...  Then there are comments from women of a certain age who tell me they adopted or their sister/bff/etc... adopted fairly quickly.  Well, these women are in their 60s.  This means the kids were adopted in the 80s, maybe the early 90s.  Different time, people.  

@Qoass & @backformore: I think a lot of the "smart woman goes back to teeny tiny hometown and marries local boy" is a nudge, nudge, wink, wink comment on how one should "stick to his/her 'own kind'" rather than marry someone "from a different 'culture'."

• Love 7

Okay,  I absolutely hate all of the Christmas hype prior to my birthday - which is November 1 !! Can we at least have Fall, people?   If I see that there are any Christmas movies in the next few weeks that I will want to see, I will record them and watch the after Thanksgiving. Right now it's time for scary movies, not Rudolph and Frosty, thankyouverymuch.

There is a radio station in my city that starts with the Christmas music the second week of November.  I don't turn to that station until December.  And this year, it will be really interesting to see all of the pre-Christmas goings on with new eyes, since I will be retired as of November 3rd. Yay!

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, PradaKitty said:

Okay,  I absolutely hate all of the Christmas hype prior to my birthday - which is November 1 !! Can we at least have Fall, people?   If I see that there are any Christmas movies in the next few weeks that I will want to see, I will record them and watch the after Thanksgiving. Right now it's time for scary movies, not Rudolph and Frosty, thankyouverymuch.

There is a radio station in my city that starts with the Christmas music the second week of November.  I don't turn to that station until December.  And this year, it will be really interesting to see all of the pre-Christmas goings on with new eyes, since I will be retired as of November 3rd. Yay!

I feel ya.  I've been seeing (faux) eggnog at the supermarket since mid-September.  Can we at least finish off the pumpkin spice?

• Love 2

Look I love Christmas, love it. And there are Christmas movies that I like and with the exceptions of Home Alone, A Christmas Story and National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, all of them are from the thirties and forties. But that Hallmark tripe and with their contrived, formulaic plots (as you all have so astutely pointed out) the terrible "acting" and the sheer manipulativeness of the "heart warming", all white, affluent people's problems that are always solved by some stupid Christmas miracle makes me want to never hear about Christmas again. And the worst part is I can't just not watch them because my DH lurves them so I am forced to hide in another room. He won't even let me make snarky comments. :(

• Love 11
On 10/15/2017 at 7:52 AM, theredhead77 said:

I hate, hate, HATE that they are adding lavender / Febreze to everything.  Gives me an instant headache. I'd take the box back to the store, that scent isn't going to go away and it's going linger on everything they touch. Lavender and vanilla are not comfort scents. They are gross, chemical, headache inducing scents.

But they called the scents "lavender, vanilla & comfort," like comfort itself is a scent.  You know what scent I find comforting?  No scent.

I couldn't take the box back, and tried one out today.  I used it a little, and like you warned, it smelled and I got a headache.  But I'm cheap and decided to soldier on by dousing the thing in Endust, and that did help a little.  Next time I'll let it sit outside for a while and then douse it in Endust and then use it, and dusting slowly seems to help. 

What I don't understand is if people want their house to smell like something, doesn't it already smell like that, so the scented Swiffer would conflict with it?  And would anyone who wants their house to have a smell rely on scented Swiffers to do it?  Wouldn't they have something else that makes the scent, like potpourri or those things I see in stores and ignore?

And I was almost fooled again.  I was buying aluminum foil and want the non-stick kind, but don't don't want heavy duty.  I spotted a roll that wasn't heavy duty but had a yellow thing on it that said non-stick, and I was happy because I didn't think they made it.  I had it in the basket but then thought, "No, wait," and sure enough, the yellow thing did say "non-stick" but in smaller letters was "try our" or something like that, so it wasn't the non-stick stuff. 

And back to the Swiffers, an ongoing irritant is internet reviews.  I found a site where someone explained how to make your own reusable Swiffers out of flannel, and I was intrigued.  There were all these positive reviews and positive comments, so I made one (it's not easy) and it was a total failure.  It didn't ravel (unravel?) satisfyingly like she said it would, so I tried pinking the edges, and that didn't make it any better, but it would still deposit little threads on everything else that was in the wash with it.  Plus one of the features of a Swiffer is that it's very light and can squeeze into places, and this was so thick it wouldn't squeeze anywhere and you couldn't just swiff it at objects to dust them, plus it was bending the handle and otherwise not acting Swiffery at all.

So I went back and looked at the comments again and realized that almost all of them were by people who hadn't actually made one, but were saying what a good idea it was, or how they were eager to try it and would report back (which they never did).  Okay, I accept fault for not parsing the comments like a federal statute to determine their meaning, but wouldn't it be better if people just waited to comment until they'd actually done whatever it is they're commenting on?

• Love 6

My cable company is making me insane.

They have clearly gotten a clue about their reputation for customer service.  I know this because they keep telling me how much extra special attention they are giving to my technical problem.  So far I've gotten a customer service rep who "is more thorough than his co-workers." in holding me on the phone for 40 minutes doing tests of my lines and equipment (long enough to see the problem happen, so bright side). 

Now my technical issue has been elevated to some kind of special technical function that tests my signal up until my appointment so the tech service person is more likely to fix it when he comes out.  Except the calls I keep getting boil down to... we've been monitoring and there haven't been any further problems.  Can we cancel your appointment.?   No.

They actually asked me if I wanted daily updates so I could explain to the technical person what the problem is when he comes.  Huh?

My goal as your customer is to pay you and never have to talk to you.  Is that so hard?. 

If I do have to talk to you, I don't want you calling every hour every day so I can explain that yes, I still need my appointment.  No its still broken.  And no, I'm not reassured that you are now convinced its not broken, because it is and its getting worse.  And yes, you are undermining my confidence that you will ever fix this by suggesting that the most likely way to fix this is for a call center to explain to a home owner the problem so the home owner can explain to your tech.

It was probably a mistake to tell them to just tell the tech the problem and stop calling.  I'm going to regret that later.  Because its probably true that I am the critical link to get this fixed (which is insane...because I know nothing).  I'm already stuck imparting this gem "something about a cable packet dropping 20% of the signal on the wire.  I have no idea what that means, but I bet its because you didn't bury the cable wire despite all the times I called about the idiocy of just covering it with egg rock and mulch."

• Love 6
9 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Look I love Christmas, love it. And there are Christmas movies that I like and with the exceptions of Home Alone, A Christmas Story and National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, all of them are from the thirties and forties. But that Hallmark tripe and with their contrived, formulaic plots (as you all have so astutely pointed out) the terrible "acting" and the sheer manipulativeness of the "heart warming", all white, affluent people's problems that are always solved by some stupid Christmas miracle makes me want to never hear about Christmas again. And the worst part is I can't just not watch them because my DH lurves them so I am forced to hide in another room. He won't even let me make snarky comments. :(

LOL!   My husband also loves these movies - he even records them on the DVR.  Over the years, I have had an influence on him, though.  I shout out my predictions - Wait!  it's going to snow - her car will get stuck!   Oh look!  she's turning her nose up at hot chocolate - there will be whip cream on her nose by the end of the movie!   So now my husband joins in, and we make snarky comments together, or compare plots.   But after a couple of movies, I'm done -  and he's got 12 more recorded.  I tell him to save those for the days I work late. 

I share your love for the classics - I won't make fun of those. 

• Love 6

Had a doctor appointment. Complied and arrived 15 minutes early in case ID or insurance card needed to be checked. It wasn't. Sat for 25 minutes before getting called back. Stats took 5-8 minutes (now I'm well past my scheduled appt time). Medical assistant left and I waited for another 30 minutes before seeing a PA (now it's 45-50 minutes past my appt). PA came in (Dr had a pressing need patient in another room). Whole shebang took about 10 minutes. My pet peeve is the endless wait. If a Dr can only see one patient every 15 minutes then why do they schedule one every 10? I'm too afraid of the germs to pick up the crumpled out of date magazines to read and pass the time. I had forgotten to download a book on my phone. I read every poster on the walls and am ready for my anatomy test now. 

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Had a doctor appointment. Complied and arrived 15 minutes early in case ID or insurance card needed to be checked. It wasn't. Sat for 25 minutes before getting called back. Stats took 5-8 minutes (now I'm well past my scheduled appt time). Medical assistant left and I waited for another 30 minutes before seeing a PA (now it's 45-50 minutes past my appt). PA came in (Dr had a pressing need patient in another room). Whole shebang took about 10 minutes. My pet peeve is the endless wait. If a Dr can only see one patient every 15 minutes then why do they schedule one every 10? I'm too afraid of the germs to pick up the crumpled out of date magazines to read and pass the time. I had forgotten to download a book on my phone. I read every poster on the walls and am ready for my anatomy test now. 

And, that 10 minutes cost you $150.  Don't forget that part.

• Love 8
On 10/23/2017 at 10:32 AM, DeLurker said:

DELURKER: That's a good response!  I must try to remember that.  But I don't often get asked OTT personal stuff so I may forget (or forget because I freeze when put on the spot).  Re: not having children?  I never had any, never felt the biological clock ticking, didn't get married until I was over 40 (didn't find the right guy until then)  And when a few of my divorced friends would ask, "aren't you worried about not having kids?" or "don't you miss not having kids?" I'd reply, "Not a bit" and smile. They looked shocked.  I knew I didn't have the patience to be a good mommy + my sister provided the grandkids so, no pressure.  But I feel badly for the women who do really want to have children and are struggling to get pregnant.  "Why do you ask?" is a great response and I hope they remember to use it.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

If a Dr can only see one patient every 15 minutes then why do they schedule one every 10?

They are like airlines.  They overbook anticipating that some will call up and cancel at the last minute.  somehow they think that 10 patients a day will do this.

My frustration with cable is the DVR.  We have the main DVR in the basement and the mutil-room DVRs in the living room and my bedroom.  About a year or so ago, we started having problems with the playback on the multi-room DVR, it would say "not connected" or "can't play back".  This also affected On Demand that wouldn't work if it wasn't the main DVR.  I'd have to call the company, that would run me through a bunch of stuff (turn off, unplug, reboot) that wouldn't work.  Then they'd finally do something on their end to reboot the signal and it would work.  This happened almost every other month for a year.

So about 4 months ago, they redid the DVR menu so now you can 'reboot" it yourself when the DVR doesn't work.  Now I'm having to do this at least once a month.  And I can only do it if my husband isn't watching something on one of the TVs, and the main DVR isn't recording something, because it will turn the TV on and off several times during the 'reboot.' 

Its so annoying.  And we pay so much for this crap.  its one of the reasons we're looking into cutting the cord, at least for TV.

• Love 5

I hardly ever record anything, so I don't have a DVR - I'm not paying a monthly fee for something I'm only going to use occasionally.  When I do record something, I record it onto DVD (sometimes onto VHS if I'm just going to watch it and record over it and I'm out of discs).  It's a bit weird to me how DVD-Rs have gone the way of the dodo; I like having what I recorded on a disc, so I can watch it anywhere, plus I always hear people talking about their DVR crapping out and them losing all their recordings.  No thanks.

So my peeve is the move toward scrambling programming so that it can't be recorded onto disc. 

• Love 3

I tried, I tried, I really, really, really tried. But I can't! I have to VENT or my head will explode!

It's Of COURSE, not of coarse. What are you trying to say? That a yes/agreement is a rough brillo pad?

It's sometimeS, not some time.

It's outweigh, (one WORD) NOT out way when talking about whether one matter has more weight than the other. Like, the pros of purchasing an anti-virus/anti-malaware, etc., outweigh the cons (price) because it reduces the risk of me being hacked, or a worm destroying my computer. NOT out way. And what does that even mean???

And it's ROLE when one is talking about a position in a company, or an actor's character, or fucking role playing. NOT ROLL.

And again, it's should HAVE, could HAVE, would HAVE, not should of, could of, would of. I don't CARE that it SOUNDS like "of," that's not the way it's fucking spelled! Or use the contraction version: should've, could've, would've. DAMMIT.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 16
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

plus I always hear people talking about their DVR crapping out and them losing all their recordings.  No thanks.

I haven't had that happen, fingers crossed.  I do try and watch shows within a week or two and not let them sit, but some weeks, I get very busy and don't have much time to catch up over the weekend.  Of course, I could watch the shows through the network's website, I just have to suffer with commercials.  Also, I watch some programs with my kids and it would be more difficult to watch together on my phone or tablet.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I tried, I tried, I really, really, really tried. But I can't! I have to VENT or my head will explode!

It's Of COURSE, not of coarse. What are you trying to say? That a yes/agreement is a rough brillo pad?

It's outweigh, (one WORD) NOT out way when talking about whether one matter has more weight than the other. Like, the pros of purchasing an anti-virus/anti-malaware, etc., outweigh the cons (price) because it reduces the risk of me being hacked, or a worm destroying my computer. NOT out way. And what does that even mean???

And it's ROLE when one is talking about a position in a company, or an actor's character, or fucking role playing. NOT ROLL.

And again, it's should HAVE, could HAVE, would HAVE, not should of, could of, would of. I don't CARE that it SOUNDS like "of," that's not the way it's fucking spelled! Or use the contraction version: should've, could've, would've. DAMMIT.

Will you marry me? Since it's hypothetical here, genders don't matter.

Edited by riley702
  • Love 8
19 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Adding to your list:

It's flesh out not flush out when you are talking about adding detail to your project plan.

It's in other words not another words when you are clarifying something  you have already stated. 

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, BookWoman56 said:

Adding to your list:

It's flesh out not flush out when you are talking about adding detail to your project plan.

It's in other words not another words when you are clarifying something  you have already stated. 

It depends on the plan.  If it's a pooper of a plan you flush it out.

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, BookWoman56 said:

Adding to your list:

You flush out fowl not foul when you go pheasant hunting. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
Continuity
  • Love 4
On 10/24/2017 at 2:45 AM, backformore said:

LOL!   My husband also loves these movies - he even records them on the DVR.  Over the years, I have had an influence on him, though.  I shout out my predictions - Wait!  it's going to snow - her car will get stuck!   Oh look!  she's turning her nose up at hot chocolate - there will be whip cream on her nose by the end of the movie!   So now my husband joins in, and we make snarky comments together, or compare plots.   But after a couple of movies, I'm done -  and he's got 12 more recorded.  I tell him to save those for the days I work late. 

I share your love for the classics - I won't make fun of those. 

My daughter and I are coming up with a drinking game for these movies:

1 shot of whatever for the contrived, very unlikely, scene, i.e., the whole town participating in pumpkin carving/snowman contest, winter/fall festival.

1 shot for when our male or female lead turns his or her nose up at the small town lifestyle.

2 shots for when our main characters face the obligatory dilemma like deciding between the current love interest for the new one, or the caterer cancels so our main characters who hate each other have to work together to make the dinner and then discover they have soooo much in common.

• Love 8
23 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Yes to all of these.   I will at times agree with something posted on here or on twitter, but refuse to "like" it because of the "should of, could of would of"  thing.

AND I'll add this one -  it's not back-peddle, or back peddling.  Peddle means to sell something, like going door to door, peddling your wares.  

It's back-PEDAL, as in pedaling backward on a bicycle, but also reversing your position on something, or backing out of a promise.  

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, backformore said:

Yes to all of these.   I will at times agree with something posted on here or on twitter, but refuse to "like" it because of the "should of, could of would of"  thing.

AND I'll add this one -  it's not back-peddle, or back peddling.  Peddle means to sell something, like going door to door, peddling your wares.  

It's back-PEDAL, as in pedaling backward on a bicycle, but also reversing your position on something, or backing out of a promise.  

And I'll add this--if one cannot bother to punctuate and continue to type like you're an uneducated buffoon, I will not engage. I don't care if you're typing from your phone or tablet. Can you NOT see what you are typing? And if you have "fat" fingers, invest in a stylus pen.

I'm feeling very cranky and mean and petty today.

• Love 7

GHScorpiosRule, you and I have had this discussion before (I believe you even proposed, but I've never seen a ring).   

I refuse to engage with people who type in Bingo rather than English (B4, CU).  Type in real words, or I don't want to talk to you.   I also refuse to communicate with those who type LOL more than once a day.  Use your words.

• Love 9