Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E13: Coffee Meets Bagel, SkinnyShirt, Doorman, Bantam Bagel

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

Three sisters make a pitch for their dating app; an entrepreneur claims to have a solution to a common problem for online shoppers; a former publisher shares her design for a shirt that makes people look skinny; and a pair of Wall Street brokers demonstrate a compact way to eat a bagel. Also: an update on Hamboards, which Robert invested in during Season 5.

• Love 1

and a pair of Wall Street brokers demonstrate a compact way to eat a bagel.

I don't know if you've ever seen the masterful way bankers fold the WSJ on a train.  It's like origami.  Intricate folds.  I'm picturing that happening to a bagel.

There's a teaser for one of the pitches here.  It's not quite a spoiler, but it gives an impression of how the pitch is going to end up.  I think it's thoroughly entertaining, but I would proceed with caution if you want to come into the episode completely blind.

I'm single, so I looked at the Coffee & Bagel site. You sign up via Facebook, allowing them access to all of your private information, which made me back out. First off, I'm friends with people I grew up with, some people I don't know well who don't live where I do. Anytime an app asks for access to my Facebook profile, I get nervous. If I wanted to date anyone who is on my Facebook friends list, I'd have done so. Then again, I got to thinking that if there's someone out there who I'm not friends with, that they have already hooked in.... but still, it makes me nervous. I guess I still like to meet people the old-fashioned way for dating.

The shirt lady lost me. I don't wear that look now, as Lorri said. It's dated. Which is why I think their sales fell off. I think once you buy one, you don't need another. I've never been a fan of the shirt hanging out from the sweater.

I liked the Doorman concept, but I work from home so it's not something I'd subscribe to. I didn't worry about ordering online when I worked in an office, for when I did, I had it delivered there.

Those bagel bites made me hungry. Wouldn't they need to be refrigerated, with cream cheese mixtures in the middle? No one addressed that. What's the shelf life? $1.50 per bite??? I also agree the name is stupid. Unless they are selling chicken stuffed bagels.

• Love 5

So the Doorman employee stuffs his personal car full of packages (I feel compelled to begin my sentence with "So" because it seems to be a requirement for Shark Tank presentations. Drives. me. crazy.) What if something happens to the car or the packages within? Is your stuff automatically insured by Doorman when you sign up for the service? Are the drivers thoroughly vetted and bonded? 

The Coffee & Bagel thing is the lovechild of Facebook and the six degrees of separation aspect of LinkedIn, where the people you're meeting are ever so tangentially connected to you so in theory you've got more in common. Based on the blind dates I've been set up on by people who know me well...best of luck with that.

Yes, the camisole dickie is failing because no one dresses like that anymore, but it would have been great in its time. Now that I think of it, when that was the style I think they made collared bodysuits, so this is the same concept, sans crotch snaps.

I didn't get why the bagels were named for (and therefore had as their logo) a rooster. Time to rebrand that business. I do think Lori's idea of expanding the business to food trucks is a very smart one and will do well.

Edited by designing1
  • Love 4

Because a bantam rooster is small.

Thank you for that! Hubby and I were wracking our brains trying to figure out the significance of the name. So they could also have called the company Chihuahua Bagels, Shetland Bagels, Pot Bellied Bagels. They definitely need to change the name.

I was glad that Barbara called Kevin what he is - a bully. One of the reasons I love Robert so much is that he is always honest as to why he will not invest in a product, but does it in a kind and respectful manner. That said, I also agree with others here that the shirt-under-sweater look is out of date. Not to mention the look did not look all that smooth from the back. When the camera showed the lady pitcher from the back she had deep bra lines - was just as likely a badly fitting bra, but certainly did nothing to sell the product.

The three sisters were delusional at best, obnoxious at worst. I can't believe two business majors made so many blunders. Taking $100 grand each when the company is not making money? And their reason was that they would be making more than that if they were working for someone else? Dumb reason, especially when you aren't making any money! Geesh. Putting a value of the company at ten million, when that is their projected sales for next year, and even at that they will at best break even? Yikes!

Also, while I know everyone that I am friends with on Facebook, some of my friends accept friend requests from people they don't know that well, or in some cases barely at all. For some it is all about how many 'friends' they have, regardless of whether they actually are or not.  Some will accept a request from anyone who goes/went to their university, or anyone connected to their line of work, or someone they met once but do not actually know.  So say I was single and signed up, and CMB is using my friends friends as matches, there is a very good chance that they will send me a match of someone that my 'friend' doesn't know any better than I do - as in not at all. Makes no sense to me, or am I missing something?

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Love 4

I didn't get the whole coffee bean thing for the matching site. Do I have to keep up with how many beans I have all the time, adding an extra task that traditional dating sites don't ask you to do? That's why I don't play those stupid games on Facebook because they are too much trouble, addictive (I've heard) and I HATE getting those requests to play. I met some great guys on Match.com years ago, so I know sites that you have to pay for work. In fact, the cheap no-pay sites (Yahoo used to be that way) attract all the weirdos who are just chumming with bait. I'd rather pay in order to meet people who are serious about dating. I couldn't believe those three spoiled brats were taking that high of a salary. That tells me they are all about the money and not so much about their business being one of quality. Maybe they should go back to their higher-paying jobs.

• Love 3

The shirt thing would have been a hit in the 80's but I don't see many professional women wearing that look any more. She was a nice lady and I hope she can move into another successful venture. I am surprised none of the sharks mentioned her logo looked very similar to certain other "Skinny" product. The owner even reminded me of that other Skinny Girl.

Why does Kevin feel it necessary to call people stupid or cockroaches? Sure some of these entrepreneurs have no business being in business, but he is just so rude when he isn't into a product.

The bagel bites looked yummy, but I think I would only buy them from a bakery or food truck. A few freshly made at a time is all I want for a quick breakfast or snack sounds perfect. I don't need a big bag O' bites. The shelf life of a dairy product would bother me too. If they tell me it's been shelf stabilized then there's too many chemicals in it for me. I'll just go to my local bakery and get something fresh.

The Doorman concept is good, but I'd think they would need the blessings and cooperation of the big guys in the online shopping world. I missed if he said he had agreements with Amazon, Walmart, QVC, etc.

I have never done online dating and don't know many friends who have, so I can't give any anecdotal input. But is seemed like a no- go business to me. Pretty sure Match and e-Harmony have that market sewn up.

I've been by the Bantam Bagels storefront on Bleeker Street.  It's not exactly cronut-level popular, but if they're making their rent in a pretty pricey neighborhood, they must being doing something right.  I have to admit, they looked pretty tasty.  Stupid New Year's resolution.  They should have gone with Barbara if they'd been able to get her down on the equity though.

When Doorman comes to New York, I am going to be a customer within about fifteen seconds.

• Love 3

I agree the shirt lady was a bit dated with her fashion trend and therefore the market for her product would be severely limited. That being said, before I quit my job to stay at home with my kids I used to work in upper management at a Fortune 500 company which surprisingly required us to wear a stupid uniform that consisted of a vest or sweater (black) with a collared shirt underneath. I was hugely pregnant at the time and the uniform was so hot in the summer I would have bought her product in a second! Maybe she should just focus on selling her product to companies that require such uniforms instead of the general public?

• Love 1

The Doorman concept is good, but I'd think they would need the blessings and cooperation of the big guys in the online shopping world. I missed if he said he had agreements with Amazon, Walmart, QVC, etc.

According to their website, they already accept shipments from all of the major US freight companies (FedEx, UPS, Postal Service).  The retailers don't really care what address they send it to, so long as your credit card goes through.

He did mention the app's ultimate goal was to be a checkbox on Amazon and the like, but given what Amazon has invested in their Locker service, I don't know if they'd go for it.  But personally, the nearest Amazon locker to me is about 40 blocks away, and is relatively small, so it fills up somewhat regularly.  A service like this would be a godsend.

• Love 2

I thought it was funny that everyone busted on the shirt saying no one layers like that anymore, when right before them one of the dating site wonem was wearing a white Oxford under a tshirt, which I think looks even worse than under a sweater!

• Love 3

My new year's resolution is apparently to gain weight, so I ordered some bagels. They ship in dry ice on 2-day delivery, so we'll see. The reviews on QVC are running at 3 out of 5 stars for various flavors. Everyone has their taste preferences!

• Love 1

I forgot to mention the high salary the three women were taking, which also seems to be a no-no with the sharks.

By San Francisco standards, $100K each puts them into the lower middle-class.

Although I was frankly offended when the middle sister referred to it as a "significant pay cut" for them.  It may not even have been the salary issue alone that soured the Sharks (other than Mark's disgust with how cagey they were being about their subscribers), it was just another set of MBAs who think they've re-invented the wheel.

After all the focus on it being a great thing for women (their website even says "The Only Dating App Women Love"), I was a little heartened to find that they do have an LGBT side as well, although you really have to dig through their website to find it.

Also, thank God I don't have to worry about dating any more.

I can see the Bagel Ball thingies on a food truck, but not in bags at a supermarket. And as a member of the ethnic group that brought bagels into the mainstream, I feel a little put-out by your defamation of the bagel. But that's your right; everything can't be for everyone and that leaves more for those that like it.

• Love 2

It might be a matter of semantics (I get your point), but I still maintain that's a high salary to be taking given the company wasn't making money. 

I completely agree with you, I was just getting in a dig at San Fran, a beautiful city that no mere mortal can afford.

I mean, I live in New York, where fully 25% of real estate exists as tax shelters, so I don't have a lot of room to complain.

• Love 1

I didn't understand a lot of the math with the sisters. I know there's editing, but it seemed like they said they did a million this year and were a million under? But they expected to do 10 million next year and that'd get them to break even? Sounds like their expenses must be obscene for that to work out. Plus the absurd salary. I mean, if they ended up a million under, they themselves account for nearly a third of it. How can you think that's logical? Paycut or no paycut. And if it's such a cut, why don't they have savings to rely on, and why would they go try to start a business if they couldn't be sure they could live that way? And if they weren't out to just grow it big enough to sell it, make a profit, and move on to something else, it makes even less sense! Taking a salary that large means you're in it to make some dough. So weird.

• Love 1

I didn't understand a lot of the math with the sisters. I know there's editing, but it seemed like they said they did a million this year and were a million under? But they expected to do 10 million next year and that'd get them to break even? Sounds like their expenses must be obscene for that to work out. Plus the absurd salary.

Since none of the sisters has any experience in the technology field, they're having to pay developers to build the platform for them.  Silicon Valley and the Bay Area aren't hurting for tech jobs, and the situation with Coffee Meets Bagel is a lot different than something like Mark Zuckerberg or Jack Dorsey for whom Facebook and Twitter were more homebrew than that.  So they either have to pay pretty good wages or do a generous stock offering if the company were to become successful enough to become public.

Also, since they mentioned that they pull all of their data from Facebook profiles, and that might involve them paying Facebook royalty.

• Love 2

With everyone so concerned that by signing up with Facebook we are giving away our privacy, along comes Doorman, who we will now be telling when we are home and when we are not. 

And even if the drivers are vetted, they still will know when we're not at home.  And if Doorman was hacked, yikes.

• Love 2

With everyone so concerned that by signing up with Facebook we are giving away our privacy, along comes Doorman, who we will now be telling when we are home and when we are not. 

And even if the drivers are vetted, they still will know when we're not at home.  And if Doorman was hacked, yikes.

Ha! Good point. But just because you want something delivered at a certain time doesn't necessarily mean you aren't home any other times.

But then, I live in the boondocks and none of the delivery-themed services will be here any time soon. I'll watch how it all plays out for you cityfolk. :)

FreshDirect, Google Express, and eBay Now already have a pretty good idea of when I'm home and when I'm not.  This is just an extension of that.  Whether it's a bad thing or merely neutral I'll leave to others to decide.

Besides which, between in NYPD's omnipresent CCTV and whatever records the public transit system keeps, Big Brother has its eye on me already.

It's a trade off.  Since according to UPS, the only people who actually work between 8 and 5 are UPS drivers, I'm stuck with an Amazon locker or an even longer hike to a UPS warehouse that isn't even in the same borough.

Doorman for me.

I thought all of the ideas were ok, except the dating site.
I know people who would wear the shirt.

I think Doorman is clever. Also just because you'not home at 3:00pm one Tuesday doesn't necessarily mean you won't not be home next Tuesday. I am upset that important packages were just dropped off without the delivery guy making any attempt to figure out if anyone was home (which we were) including at least one that said someone should sign for it.

As for the dating site, why did they have to be in San Francisco? Why not somewhere a little cheaper? They made so much money; did they not have any savings? Honestly I could see any of those women as being the kind of CEO who accepts a government bailout and then gives themselves bonuses.

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 1

Thank you for that! Hubby and I were wracking our brains trying to figure out the significance of the name. So they could also have called the company Chihuahua Bagels, Shetland Bagels, Pot Bellied Bagels. They definitely need to change the name.

Bantam weight is an established boxing division, so it has a little more precedence as a synonym for "small" than "Shetland Bagels" would. But I also agree there's not nearly enough recognition to make it a good name.

"Find the hole, bite the hole"--soon to be on your favorite pr0n site.

I've said in on the Project Runway boards and I'll say it here: It's not a button-down if the collar doesn't BUTTON DOWN. I would've given the woman the boot out of the tank over that alone.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 4

Since none of the sisters has any experience in the technology field, they're having to pay developers to build the platform for them.  Silicon Valley and the Bay Area aren't hurting for tech jobs, and the situation with Coffee Meets Bagel is a lot different than something like Mark Zuckerberg or Jack Dorsey for whom Facebook and Twitter were more homebrew than that.  So they either have to pay pretty good wages or do a generous stock offering if the company were to become successful enough to become public.

Also, since they mentioned that they pull all of their data from Facebook profiles, and that might involve them paying Facebook royalty.

I get that they have to pay developers, but the bulk of the development is up front. Once they're up and functional, other than bug fixes, it's up to them how much additional development they do. Although from experience, if they're using Facebook APIs they may be in constant development since Facebook seems to change their APIs every five seconds... I think the possibility of a Facebook royalty is a sensible suspect for why their expenses would continue to be so bloated, but otherwise, it still makes little sense to me that growing in terms of customers, when they have neither physical product nor warehouse space to concern themselves, that they should not turn profitable with 10x revenue, given the current numbers they cited. Or they're paying WAY too much per acquisition. Or they expect to make up that "salary cut" they cited about themselves once they get up to 10 mil, and so yet still more money is coming out of the company and into their pockets pushing out that break even point.

Which I guess is a long way of saying I hope their business fails. I don't see the value in it and I thought they came off as greedy idiots, but not greedy enough to know when to sell out. I also didn't understand why if they had one of the owners of match as their major investor...why isn't their ultimate game plan just to sell out to him entirely? Or maybe it is.

• Love 4

I've said in on the Project Runway boards and I'll say it here: It's not a button-down if the collar doesn't BUTTON DOWN. I would've given the woman the boot out of the tank over that alone.

I was waiting for someone to bring this up! Kudos bilgistic!

• Love 2

Bantam weight is an established boxing division, so it has a little more precedence as a synonym for "small" than "Shetland Bagels" would. But I also agree there's not nearly enough recognition to make it a good name.

I wish one of the Sharks would have asked them how they came up with the name. Bantam rooster is odd, but at least there is a picture of a rooster to connect (except for people like me who missed the connection altogether).  I wonder how many people would connect the bantam name to boxing? And aren't there categories lighter than bantam? ie. flyweight? They could use a picture of a fly and call them flybagels. Lol. And to me the most important part of the bagel isn't that it is small (as there are already small bagels) but that it is filled. All in all it is one of the dumbest names I have even seen on Shark Tank for a product, and that is saying a lot.

• Love 2

As for the dating site, why did they have to be in San Francisco? Why not somewhere a little cheaper? They made so much money; did they not have any savings? Honestly I could see any of those women as being the kind of CEO who accepts a government bailout and then gives themselves bonuses.

Like anywhere in the south bay, where there are a lot more tech companies to poach employees from? Not that I'd have given them a second look back when I was willing to work for startups; any startup that's paying themselves that much in salaries is doomed - and probably *not* paying employees anything close to market rate; they tend to be the sort to offer low salaries and high stock options that never pay out.

Or if they had to have their company up there, they could live down here and commute like everyone else.

• Love 1

This episode made me wonder how it's decided which presenters go before which sharks, and I couldn't help but think that maybe they screwed over the shirt lady a little by not letting her present to Daymond. Don't get me wrong, I didn't think it was the greatest product ever - I'm with Lori in that I never wear that style, and I also thought the price was high. However, since Daymond is supposed to be the fashion and the manufacturing guy, it seems like she might have had a chance at getting a deal from him. (Not that it would have necessarily been a good deal, but I could see him throwing her a bone and offering her *something*.)

• Love 2

I don't think a collared shirt under a sweater is a dated look (and I'd wear pajamas to work if they'd let me--it's a struggle for me to "dress up" in Old Navy chinos and a decent-looking top). It's a classic look, which is different, but maybe confused with dated. Another example is wingtip shoes--they are classic, but can look dated depending on the rest of the outfit.

I was surprised Lori didn't give her a deal and hawk it all over QVC. I don't buy Lori's excuse of her not wearing the style so she can't relate to it. Does she wear glasses stuck in a chest pocket so she related to the glasses clip guy she made bajillions with/on? Yeah, I thought not.

• Love 3

It's not a button-down if the collar doesn't BUTTON DOWN.

Precisely.  I've always called them "Button Up" shirts. And they MIGHT also have a "button-down" collar.  Definitely not the same thing, and VERY irritating. 

I love bagels, but I cannot eat them untoasted. To me, the cold bagel and it's thick dough with a cold cream cheese filling just sounds very unappetizing.  I can imagine chewing that damn thing for days.  But a nice hot, crunchy toasted bagel with a generous layer of cream cheese sounds great.  So really, no reinventing the wheel needed.

I also thought the dating site girls were delusional and greedy. 

And $80 for basically a dickey?  Ridiculous.  I'll wear a tank top or t-shirt under a collared shirt, but under a sweater I'll only wear a thin, long-sleeved T-shirt.  But I agree that Lori would be the target Shark, for the QVC market. 

• Love 3

I couldn't order those Bantam Bagels fast enough. Even with shipping, their "Shark Tank" sampler bag of 3 dozen actually works out cheaper per piece than the in-store price. They're shipping in dry ice and will arrive frozen, so I imagine we can just keep them in the freezer and pull them out as wanted. Can't wait until they arrive! (And I love the name and the logo. Both Lori's and Barbara's name change suggestions were idiotic, though certainly continue their running theme of underestimating the intelligence of the average consumer.)

• Love 2

They're shipping in dry ice and will arrive frozen,

Hopefully, they will. A lot of the reviews on the QVC site said they arrived thawed, but still cool. I'm not trying to damper your enthusiasm because you are obviously excited, and we look forward to hearing back from you how they taste.

• Love 1

I’m a Coffee meet Bagel user, so I guess I’m our resident expert on it!  I had no idea they had such unusual business practices though, makes me wonder if the app will suddenly just shut down one day?

Its something of a “passive” dating site, since its one match a day (which you like or pass) and a really short profile, as opposed to Match or Eharmony which can involve a lot of work in filling out a profile, sending emails, etc.  It keeps track of the beans for you, and I know there are things you can spend them on (like extra matches?) but the only thing I’ve spent any on that I can remember is unlocking a mutual friend.

As for it matching you with friends of friends, my experience has been that the app will quickly go outside your friends of friends to other facebook users in the area, so its been more like a random dating app for me.  I’d guess that’s some combination of my age, my friends who are using it/ their non-mutual friends who are, and how many people in the area are on it, it might be a totally different ballgame in another town.  I was (randomly) an early enough adopter in my area that for the first few months I wasn’t getting many matches, maybe like 3 a week, and then it picked up at some point so I was getting a lot more.  I’d guess now its maybe one or two days a month when I don’t get one?  I’ll be curious to see how and if the demographics change post-Shark Tank.

What else would you all like to know? 

• Love 6

I just started watching past episodes of Shark Tank and I'm hooked.  I do wish they had six sharks so that Daymond could sit in the tank regularly though.

Add me to the list of people confuzzled by the financial figures given on the dating app.  So people join for free and use it for free but can upgrade?  Why not just charge their members a reasonable fee each month to use it?  Someone who is seriously looking will pay it, if it's reasonable.  I went to their site to check it out and I also didn't like that Facebook connected.  I guess I understand the logic but I don't know that I'd want to be set up with FB friends or friends of FB friends. My guess is that the sisters are hoping that Mark Zuckerberg is going to buy their app for a gazillion dollars.  I would consider using the app, as I do think it's a decent idea and I like that your info doesn't have to be out there for everyone to see, but I am divorced and over forty and the testimonials all seemed to be young people in their early twenties.  I was floored that Mark C. offered them $30 million to buy their business and maybe they were foolish not to take it.

I liked The Doorman idea.  I tried to use the Amazon Locker once and the location I chose was full.  I have had items sent to my office but that's usually lightweight items because then I have to carry them to my car and up three flights of stairs to my apartment.  And I usually don't like to do that when delivery is scheduled for a Saturday because then I have to wait until Monday.  I've also had items shipped to me without my office's suite number (their error) and then they can bounce around for an additional week.  When Robert and Lori were making their joint offer was that 15% equity combined or 15% to each of them?  Because if it was combined, I think I would have taken that deal in order to have two sharks and two cities lined up.

I'm glad the bagel couple got a deal.  The name is horrible though.  I think Lori's idea of a food truck is a good one.

I have a big old crush on Robert . . .

Sometimes I'm happy to live in West Bumblefuck, because out here in flyover country Bagelfuls have been in grocery store freezers for years. We didn't have to wait for the completely original idea to come in a dream to another obnoxious Park Slope couple for a product that Kraft already sells to the mass market. (Einstein's Bagels also has filled bagels if you want bakery fresh.) I can't fathom how they can't get their costs below thirty cents a bite? Is that from rent? If not, something in their process is crazy inefficient, because that seems absurd.

• Love 3
I was floored that Mark C. offered them $30 million to buy their business and maybe they were foolish not to take it.

Was that a serious offer? He said something like, "What if I offered you $30M, would you take it?" And that was after he was already out. I took it as him being curious to see how delusional they were.

• Love 5

another obnoxious Park Slope couple for a product that Kraft already sells to the mass market. 

I don't think we can blame Brooklyn for that one.  My money would be on new construction in Hell's Kitchen or the UWS.

I just checked their website and they are indeed from Brooklyn. They've kept the company name and have already done away with their rooster logo and switched to a simpler, more modern, and more graphically pleasing logo that actually relates to bagels. They offer a wide variety of flavors, some of them having nothing to do anything I'd consider bagel-related, which I guess might differentiate them from other products out there. As a native New Yorker, I pretty much like my bagels in standard flavors with standard toppings rather than a "pretzel bagel topped with sea salt crystals, filled with mustard and sharp cheddar cream cheese" or a "brown sugar walnut bagel with a sweet chocolate chip cream cheese." (You want that one? Eat a cookie.)

Weren't their high prices at least partially because they were making small batches and couldn't yet buy ingredients in bulk?

• Love 2

(I feel compelled to begin my sentence with "So" because it seems to be a requirement for Shark Tank presentations. Drives. me. crazy.)

Ooh--ouch, I didn't realize this sounds bad, I use this at work quite often.  I wonder if Toastmasters has this on their list of poor speaking habits.

The Kang sisters, with all that impressive business education, surely could have come up with something better than a dating app?  Or maybe not, but so much potential there, they could have started just about any business they wanted.  I wonder if it will really ever take off.

Edited by JasminePhyllisia
  • Love 1