Type keyword(s) to search

Hindsight - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Ugh. I knew it would end on a cliffhanger and from the promo at the end of last week, I really thought it would be her standing in front of the elevator doors debating whether or not to go in. But obviously, I was wrong.

I really hope the show comes back for a second season. As much as I want to throttle Becca, I've really enjoyed it. 

• Love 7

I thought it was an interesting ending, kind of like how it began in the elevator.  She wanted to go back to her original life because things actually got more screwed up. I'm beginning to think the relationship she wants to fix is her and Lolly. 

The way it ended, I think we are left to wonder if she's going back to the original timeline, but I think it's also possible, if the show is renewed, I wonder if she will go back to the point where she started the first season when she first went back, with her getting ready to marry Sean, and thats what the flashbacks were?  Maybe it will be sort of like Groundhog Day, where she will keep reliving this time period over and over again? I cant see her getting off the elevator and going back to the original time, or this alternate time, unless she thinks she can fix things.   Maybe even not tell Lolly the next time, so she won't figure things out.  But it could be that the same things will happen in a different order, and the point of the show is some things are predestined.

• Love 5

I believe Becca always loved Kevin on some level.  I think that's the only way to justify falling into the trap again.  Still, I think it is sadder if the real love story of her life is Lolly but their friendship is doomed.  Some people have said that Becca comes off as unlikable and I think that might be intentional now.  Maybe she is doomed to keep making mistakes.

• Love 1

This episode was confusing and unbelievable.  So Lolly gets friendship-ending mad at Becca for her actions the first go around when she was fine with her being with Kevin on the second go around?  Too bad Becca didn't just tell Lolly everything that happened right away or just kept her mouth shut!

As for the friendship in general - I just think her friendship with Lolly was doomed no matter what, some things are meant to be.  IRL, It's very typical (in especially women) for friends who were inseparable though high school/college/post college to separate once real adulthood kicks in so I just don't see the "Greek Tragedy" of her and Lolly breaking up, although a gradual separation where they still keep in touch would have been better.  Lolly had been giving the signs of her being over Becca's crap all season.

• Love 3

I don't get why she didn't spill the whole beans when Lolly and her Christmas sweater said it was all good. Lolly knows that there was something big that ended their relationship before but she still doesn't know what. It seemed like she would have, in that moment, accepted the full disclosure.

• Love 4

A frustrating episode/conclusion to an increasingly frustrating show.  It has so much potential but I feel like the writers bog it down each week with ridiculous unbelievable romances.  I mean, seriously—in one episode Becca is downing drinks left and right, devastated and jealous that Andy is getting married, and then was it even a day later that she’s madly in love with Kevin again.  I can’t even tell anymore which man is the rebound guy because I think they all are. Becca is beginning to appear pathetic that she can’t live a week of her life without a man and major drama with that man at that.  And I continue to call BS on the part of the writers over how Becca knows what happened but doesn’t react like she’s 40.  The writing is very wishy-washy.

So basically to recap this whole premier season:  On the eve of her second marriage to her nerdy childhood friend, Becca figuratively nurses a cocktail of cold feet and nostalgia that elevator-catapults her back to 1995 on the eve of her wedding to Sean, her first husband. Though divorced from him for 10 years in the future after a marriage soured by money problems, struggling careers, and Becca’s affair, Becca immediately jumps back into bed with him to relive their amazing sex life one more time before dumping him at the alter.  Then she sets her attentions on getting the man she had doubts about marrying ten minutes ago (or 20 years ahead, depending on how you look at it.)  But future husband #2 is already in a relationship that in the original past didn’t work out. So instead of just letting that alone and exploring the other problems in her life, Becca becomes obsessed with a man she’s not even sure she’s in love with in the future.   Meanwhile, she now has her best friend, Lolly, back, despite the dark cloud of what ruined their friendship in the first place hanging over their heads.  Though she’s never mentioned Kevin, the source of their friend break-up, once he appears in town earlier than the original timeline, Becca is suddenly faced with her third true love. At this point the viewers have to scratch their heads and wonder why a 43 year old women who had 20 years to think about all the crap, wouldn’t have a better handle on who was really more important. Because ultimately, either she regrets losing Kevin because of Lolly (but then why the hell all the Sean and Andy crap?) OR she regrets losing Lolly over Kevin (but then why put yourself in the same situation again?)   The only bright spot in this plot—it has a great soundtrack that occasionally allows you to forget the immaturity of the writing as you focus on remembering the song playing in the background and where you really were when it was popular :)

• Love 11

As I saw it, Lolly's problem with Becca was that the affair with Kevin happened the first time (in the future) and Becca didn't tell her about it. I don't think telling her in the Christmas sweater scene would have solved that, because part of Lolly's anger was that Becca knew she (Becca) had an affair with Kevin in the future and didn't say anything. The current relationship was the one Lolly had come to terms with, as she thought it was something that happened organically in the present.

I don't know when's a good time to tell you best friend that you had an affair with her unrequited love in the future and you want to start it now. It's kind of a double hit to the gut. You had a secret affair you didn't tell her about and you expect approval now?

Sorry I'm not explaining this very well.

Paige was a jerk to blow off Sean's opening. So what if she's leaving for L.A. in two days? She can't support her friend? Tell him afterward that she got a part and has to leave. Sean's an artist; he should understand what it means.

What was the importance of the vase that Becca got Andy and Melanie? All I heard was Steinbeck, and I'm not sure that's right.

If the show is renewed—and I hope it is, because I enjoyed it despite some big problems—I think we'll get a Groundhog Day situation, where Becca goes back and starts over. 

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 2

Geez, I can't believe I made it through the entire season. Toward the end it just snuck up on me. I'm not one to put a whole lot of faith in the Bechdel test but that was super anticlimactic. Really? Their friendship was ruined over a guy? There was so much potential for a truly good story here. And if it was going to be over a guy, I wish Jamie had been the reason they drifted apart. Truth be told, I would much rather watch Jamie's story than Becca's. Also, wtf happened to Xavier? Talk about a MacGuffin.

• Love 3

The way Becca was portrayed was disappointing.  She really did seem to jump from guy to guy.  I just did not see why Lolly was so upset, she had told Becca she was OK with her dating Kevin.

Also, she did not end up with Kevin so what happened?  Even if she sought him out after she split up with Sean, she ultimately ends up with Andy. 

• Love 1

No kidding! I actually woke up this morning totally confused about the timeline. When was Becca's wedding supposed to happen? October, yes, but what year? They have been vague about it and somehow I convinced myself it was supposed to be 2014, so she went back 19 years. Then I woke up thinking, wait, there's no way she was in her mid-40s and now has so little emotional maturity. And what happened between 2004-5 and 2014? That's 10 whole very important years of her life.

So, yes, the only way I can make this work is if she went back 15 years, from October 2005 to October 1995. That would make her about 35. Yet I still think that after so many years of marriage to Sean (8 or 9, right?) plus her round-the-clock job duties while Lolly was single (and emotionally goofy) and likely not well employed, their friendship would have faltered and gotten somewhat distant anyway. 

Best not to think too deeply about this...

Edited by RedHawk

Also, wtf happened to Xavier? 

Considering how it ended it did seem like he was missing. At the very least she should have passed him on the street or had an interaction with him before she got in the elevator for continuity sake. Sometimes I feel like the writers forget about him. 

• Love 2

Agreed. BAD.

Also, who cares about SEAN?  His character, like Paige, is sloppy and not compelling, definitely not deserving of all this air time.  The men are written terribly.  And Lolly, no.  Unevenly written and unpleasantly jarring. 

So, when's next season?

• Love 2
The only bright spot in this plot—it has a great soundtrack that occasionally allows you to forget the immaturity of the writing as you focus on remembering the song playing in the background and where you really were when it was popular :)

I was basically running around acting (and vaguely looking) like Becca--haha!

I don't know when's a good time to tell you best friend that you had an affair with her unrequited love in the future and you want to start it now. It's kind of a double hit to the gut. You had a secret affair you didn't tell her about and you expect approval now?

Hmmm, I don't know if I meant "approval," exactly. Just maybe that, considering just how bizarre the time-travel situation is in the first place and that it seems (or "seemed") like making things right with Lolly is Becca's real goal, that Lolly after having just become OK with the Becca-Kevin pairing may have been able to deal with that last bit of it? I am not articulating this well either!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1

What was the importance of the vase that Becca got Andy and Melanie? All I heard was Steinbeck, and I'm not sure that's right.

From what I understood, she originally got them something Andy had always wanted that was Steinbeck-related. Lolly basically said Andy and Melanie are together, quit using your future knowledge about Andy and get them a vase. Becca ended up doing that. Andy seemed to be secretive about Becca's gift, looking for a sign that Becca had feelings for him, maybe, but it was just a generic vase.
  • Love 3

Sean pissed me off. First, he calls & invites Paige & she says she has to hang up & go to her audition. He doesn't say good luck, or even really acknowledge what she says. Then after, he goes on and on about his art show and never asks how her audition went. Finally she tells him she got the part, and instead of congratulations, he's all "Guess we're each others good luck charm." ....Oh, you're leaving for a few months? I'll just go hit it with the other chick.

• Love 4

I was so hoping Becca and Lolly's close friendship wouldn't be broken up over some guy, considering all the different ways the whole thing could have gone down, but in the end, it was all about guys.

And that's my biggest complaint about this show. Becca was boys boys boys, all the time. It's apparently all she thought about. She acted more like a 13 year-old in that respect rather than a 43 year-old, or even a 23 year-old. Couldn't the writers let her concentrate on something else for even one episode? To say this show is heteronormative is a massive understatement.

I enjoyed the nostalgia and the music, but if there's a second season, they need to give Becca and Lolly interests beyond guys. 

• Love 5

Thanks, Evie. I think the vase did mean something to Andy, though. If it were some random ugly vase, I don't know why he wouldn't tell Melanie it was from Becca. And he was going to write the thank-you. Which, Andy, DUDE, you should be writing half of them anyway. Or at least the ones from people on your side.

• Love 1

Yeah, I really don't see the point of Sean in anyone's life. I don't get the appeal with him, at all. Very glad Paige went off and took care of herself in that situation. Sean and that awful art girl (Noelle?) deserve each other. If there's a second season, I hope they are both gone.

I was bugged by the constant focus on boys, too. There was barely any focus on her career. She quit the one she knew was going to treat her like crap and made a couple of good moves with the magazine, but in comparison to the boys angst, it was more of an afterthought. By the finale, Lolly seemed more like the lead character. I think a lot of what she was dealing with was much more interesting.

• Love 4

I kind of hated everyone in this episode (including Kevin -- back off for two seconds dude, damn!) but I still want to see what happens next! Was that really the finale? Rude!!

I think it's also possible, if the show is renewed, I wonder if she will go back to the point where she started the first season when she first went back, with her getting ready to marry Sean

I would personally love this, since I'm generally more into Fantasy/SciFi than Romance. I've enjoyed this show a lot, but the further they get away from the initial "I have a second chance!" euphoria, the more it feels like a Young Adult drama that just happens to be set in the 90s. There were some episodes in the middle that felt like filler, but going back to those same events from a different angle would be fun. I also thought they skipped through time too quickly, but if they did that so that the second season could include days we haven't seen before, that would be brilliant.

I'm the only person I know who loves Back to the Future 2, though, so I wonder if I'm the demographic anyone is courting...

• Love 2

.. it feels like a Young Adult drama that just happens to be set in the 90s. 

Yes, it does. They keep losing focus on the unique aspect of a travel back in time story, and Becca never utilized her future knowledge to its full potential or with any maturity.  She made a bigger mess of everything and only focused on herself. 

On a different note, I actually liked Sean (most of the time). I thought he was a cutie and I think Noelle is what he needed. His first wife clearly never helped his career. It's been indicated that Sean had talent, he just never made the right connections or looked beyond the artistic aspects of his career to capitalize on the business end of it to make a strong living.  I'll admit he definitely gave Paige mixed signals, and I always felt like she was just a rebound from Becca for him. There were hints that they could have had a good friendship and I wish they would have focused more on that, but "romance" seems to trump friendship in this story as evident by the Kevin/Lolly/Becca mess. 

Also, I have yet to see what makes Kevin worth all this mess. He seems to just show up and get all this attention for no reason in particular. Nothing negative against him or anything, but I'm wracking my brain to remember what made him so irresistible that their friendship was worth risking.

• Love 11

I'm overall disappointed in this show.  It had a great premise and seemed like it would be a show for my demo (30 - 40 female), but I'm now thinking that this show was written by Millennials for Millennials.  I have never watched any shows on VH1 before, so maybe the network only caters to the under 20 crowd, because it would seem like the whole main "boy crazy" plot line would appeal to them.   I got through the whole season because I was waiting for the show to become something I could relate to, but that never happened.   

[as an aside, the last time I regularly watched VH1, they exclusively showed music videos. I know they have that mafia wife show afterwards which seems like complete idiocracy, I wonder which age group would find that show appealing?]

• Love 4

I felt like Lolly's reaction came out a bit out of nowhere, but considering what she went through in this ep, I guess it's possible she lashed out on the final straw.

Man, I hope this won't be the series finale.

Edited by Electruck
  • Love 2

The way Becca was portrayed was disappointing.  She really did seem to jump from guy to guy.  I just did not see why Lolly was so upset, she had told Becca she was OK with her dating Kevin.

Also, she did not end up with Kevin so what happened?  Even if she sought him out after she split up with Sean, she ultimately ends up with Andy. 

I don't get why either. Just because it supposedly happened in the original timeline,  Becca could have learned from her mistake.  

I was wondering what happened between Becca and Kevin also. It seems like about 10 years had passed between her affair with Kevin and the original timeline.  I thought maybe she broke up with him in order to try to repair Lolly's friendship.  I'm also wondering if he is the one she really loves.  

• Love 1

I get Lolly's reaction. It wasn't that it "hadn't happened yet" this time around, it was that it happened at all. Period. She doesn't want to be friends with someone who would do something like that and I really don't blame her. Becca had almost fixed it this time, if Kevin hadn't mentioned the apricot jam thing, she'd have been home free: had both Kevin AND Lolly.

I was wracking my brain trying to figure out what vampire movie Paige got a part for. Bram Stoker's Dracula and Interview with the Vampire were already made in 1995. From Dusk till Dawn, maybe?

Edited by kariyaki
  • Love 4

Finally watched the episode and enjoyed it until the end. Seemed like everyone was going to wind up maybe where they "should have been" and then Lolly ruins it for Becca and Kevin. My feeling is Lolly needs to get over herself and find a guy who's into her and then be nice to him. Kevin wasn't into her -- that's what she learned in this timeline. And he was likely never going to be. So grow up, Lolly. Yes, Becca should have been honest with Lolly in the original timeline, but Lolly is just too immature and selfish for me to care about her or her feelings, so I was rooting for Becca and Kevin because they at least seemed like young adults who tried to do the right thing. Lolly was playing around with Jamie's emotions to the very end. "I love you"? Yeah, call me when you really understand love, Lolly.

YMMV.

I think I'm out. Can't see anything to attract me back to this if there is another season.

I think I hate Kevin the most of all the (basically terrible) characters. I have no idea why Becca would ruin her life for that dirty looking idiot.

I've grown increasingly annoyed by this show, but this ep was better than the previous few, so I kinda hope it gets renewed. I'm with the crowd that thinks Becca will go back to the day before the Sean wedding again when she steps out of the elevator.

The lack of Xavier in the last few and especially this ep is more proof to me that the writers just really didn't have any idea what they were doing. Or maybe they really wanted to tell a mundane romance story and just used the time travel as a hook.

• Love 3

I'm with the crowd that thinks Becca will go back to the day before the Sean wedding again when she steps out of the elevator.

I agree that it's a likely possibility. Which makes me say, "No way will I sit through x episodes of watching annoying LOLLY go through her boy-crazy bullshit again."

I've realized that character really ruined the show for me. She grates on my nerves. Oh, Becca was such a terrible person? Well, Lolly continued seeing/sleeping with Jamie even though Becca told her it would harm Jamie AND without concern that Jamie is Becca's brother. Not some guy she's known since childhood, but a member of her immediate family. I saw nothing redeeming about Lolly and imagine if she had remained Becca's friend for another 10-20 years she'd still be as immature and annoying as she was at ~25. 

The only way I'll watch that repeat scenario is if the story changes fundamentally. For example, Lolly is much more secure and mature, Sean is clearly a jerk Becca should have known better than to marry, Andy is less of a total nerd, and that video store guy gets some respect (and a different wig).

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 3

I get Lolly's reaction. It wasn't that it "hadn't happened yet" this time around, it was that it happened at all. Period. She doesn't want to be friends with someone who would do something like that and I really don't blame her. Becca had almost fixed it this time, if Kevin hadn't mentioned the apricot jam thing, she'd have been home free: had both Kevin AND Lolly.

I was wracking my brain trying to figure out what vampire movie Paige got a part for. Bram Stoker's Dracula and Interview with the Vampire were already made in 1995. From Dusk till Dawn, maybe?

I wondered if it was a vague Buffy reference.

I thought that at first too, but then Paige said it was a movie.

Don't know if the dates add up but there was def a Buffy movie first, with Kristy Swanson in the titular role.

• Love 2

Don't know if the dates add up but there was def a Buffy movie first, with Kristy Swanson in the titular role.

Yeah, I was thinking original recipe Buffy- but that came out in 92, I don't know what movie Paige was in.

I think we really should have seen more angst from Becca over getting together with Kevin, knowing that it ended her friendship. She called off her wedding because she knew(from her original timeline ) it didn't work, she went after Andy because she knew  that he was who she ended up with. 

Why would she do the one thing she knew trashed her friendship? Unless the whole point of the return was that certain things are unavoidable. (like her cousin meeting her husband didn't get screwed up and Becca's brother will screw up his life no matter what)

• Love 1

I had never heard of Being Erica before I saw the first episode of Hindsight, but I saw a reference to Erica somewhere (maybe here?) and figured it would help me kill the week before this show's episode 2. In "hindsight" (bad pun intended) that may have a been a mistake. The only thing Becca seems to have learned from time travel is how to repeat her original guy and Lolly mistakes with new variations. She did improve on the job front, but she doesn't seem to care.

• Love 1

Finally watched the episode and enjoyed it until the end. Seemed like everyone was going to wind up maybe where they "should have been" and then Lolly ruins it for Becca and Kevin. My feeling is Lolly needs to get over herself and find a guy who's into her and then be nice to him. Kevin wasn't into her -- that's what she learned in this timeline. And he was likely never going to be. So grow up, Lolly.

Thank YOU! One problem I am having with this story is I can't see why Lolly is worth having as a friend.  Simply from her personalty but then the way she insists on blaming her good friend for the Kevin thing. Lolly isn't a good friend. If someone told me they didn't want me and wanted my friend at least then, I would be happy he was happy with a good friend. Lolly has this weird conceit that if Becca wasn't interfering Kevin would be interested in her. But that is just not true.

I can't help but think that if we get a few seasons the best lesson that would be learned by all attempts to change fate was the Becca was actually in the best place she could possibly be in 2014 when she was about to marry Andy and Lolly and she hadn't talked in 10 years.

• Love 2

I think Lolly's problem was more about the lying than about 'a boy' though. I don't get 'boy crazy' from Lolly at all. I definitely get it from Becca though.

But honestly by the end almost all the characters were just annoying as hell to me. The only ones I didn't hate at some point were Paige, the video store guy, Jamie, Melanie, and Becca's cousin.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 4

One problem I am having with this story is I can't see why Lolly is worth having as a friend.

From personal experience, manic pixie dream girls in their 20s make exhausting friends, but you're never bored.

They're also pretty good at distracting you and getting you out of your own head when you're heartbroken.

Edited by NeenerNeener
  • Love 1

In the pilot I heard 

The Sign, Ace of Base

Hand in my Pocket , Alanis Morissette

Linger, The Cranberries

Groove is in the Heart, Dee Lite

Connection, Elastica

You're Unbelievable, EMF

Big Poppa, The Notorious B.I.G.

Two Princes, Spin Doctors

Tunefind has a couple more songs that I didn't know.

So Becca's whole journey to 1995 was so she could learn that she's a self-absorbed ass?

Well, I enjoyed the music. It's also my fantasy to have been a 20-something in the 1990's (which my 1985 birth made impossible), so there was that.

Yeah, I was thinking original recipe Buffy- but that came out in 92, I don't know what movie Paige was in.

There were a ton of vampire-themed movies and t.v. shows that came out in the 1990's so I thought it was kind of a neat, funny touch.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2

On VH1 they list all the songs.  It's like 20 songs per episode.

The soundtrack is amaaaaaazing.  I'm in heaven listening to it!

http://blog.vh1.com/2015-01-14/ultimate-90s-playlist-music-from-episode-2-hindsight/

DangerousMinds, I once read an article about "Fade Into You" by Mazzy Star being in dozens upon dozens of movies.  So if that's the song you're thinking of I feel like it's not hard to get the rights to that one.  Also VH1 has this song listed as being on Episode 4.

http://www.vulture.com/2013/09/overused-song-mazzy-star-fade-into-you.html

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

So Becca's whole journey to 1995 was so she could learn that she's a self-absorbed ass?

LOL! How did she not figure that out in 40 years?! I mean it's really obvious.

Well, I enjoyed the music. It's also my fantasy to have been a 20-something in the 1990's (which my 1985 birth made impossible), so there was that.

Same!

• Love 2

I agree with some other posters, in that I get why Lolly was mad, but I think she went completely over the top. While he is telling Becca, "you're a bad person, I won't be friends with you" she knows that Becca's brother has done something horrible and is basically running away! Maybe before going out to party she should have mentioned his frantic outbursts to becca? No, it's more important to be pissed at Becca over a boy and something that didn't happen in this reality?

That being said, I do wish that Becca had just told Lolly everything about Kevin, but when lolly came home all "fine" with everything (and by the way, one phone call to your BFF after you screamed at her and stormed out wouldn't kill you) I can understand why Becca thought she was getting away with not telling her about what happened last time.

Anyway, I still love this show and I want it to come back!

• Love 3

I had never heard of Being Erica before I saw the first episode of Hindsight, but I saw a reference to Erica somewhere (maybe here?) and figured it would help me kill the week before this show's episode 2. In "hindsight" (bad pun intended) that may have a been a mistake. The only thing Becca seems to have learned from time travel is how to repeat her original guy and Lolly mistakes with new variations. She did improve on the job front, but she doesn't seem to care.

I know off topic but how did you like Being Erica?

I agree with some other posters, in that I get why Lolly was mad, but I think she went completely over the top. While he is telling Becca, "you're a bad person, I won't be friends with you" she knows that Becca's brother has done something horrible and is basically running away! Maybe before going out to party she should have mentioned his frantic outbursts to becca? No, it's more important to be pissed at Becca over a boy and something that didn't happen in this reality?

I can cut Lolly some slack there because she's 20 years old. Her being selfish seems realistic and understandable. Becca is 40. She should have learned some stuff by now.

VH1 renewed the show. I'm happy, but cautious. I hope they can figure out what they're doing and that I will like where they want to go.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 3