Type keyword(s) to search

Hindsight - General Discussion

• Start Topic

If I'm being generous to Becca, I'll say she's just severely overthinking everything because she's freaked out by the fact that she's changing what for her is the past. And she sees this as some huge responsibility.

I could kinda see her thinking she should "sacrifice" her relationship with Andy because she told God she would do anything for him to be ok. Highly stupid, but still.

However, WHY is she sniffing around after Sean again? Are there not other men in the world besides these two guys? And why is idiot Sean going for it? Paige should tell all these people to get lost at this point, since Sean blew her off for Becca's freak out.

What might help me is if we got some flash forwards of how Becca and Sean's marriage fell apart. Right now, the time travel is becoming a non issue because Becca's just acting like an idiot, without much context.

• Love 1

I saw her going back to Sean as her way of putting everything back to the way it was. Andy almost died when she tried to change the past. And to me, it's quite easy to see how he could take her back. It hasn't been that long since she left him at the altar. They both still care for each other and when it seems like you're going to get everything back the way it was, you do the wrong thing and get back together. Becca may be 40 and reliving her 20's but Sean is still in his 20's. I definitely did the off and on thing with a guy I thought I loved back then, taking each other back even if we had hurt each other in the past.

That said, I would like to see Becca forget about both guys and live a little. Date. Have fun. I'd love for Sean to disappear for a bit instead of the tired plot of ex dating a friend/acquaintance. Focus more on Becca and Lolly and Becca's job. Too much gloom and not enough fun on this show.

• Love 1

It's great that this show has a female protagonist (still too rare these days), but when all she thinks about is guys, it kind of negates that. If anything, tell us why Becca and Sean failed, that's all I care about as far as the men in her life. Andy is about as dynamic as a bowl of oatmeal. I'm not sure why two women are fighting over him.

I'd rather watch Becca putting her knowledge of the future to work in her new job. And I want details about the falling-out between her and Lolly. Given how inseparable they were, that's the biggest mystery of this show, and they're really not addressing it at all.

• Love 4

Finally got to compare a VH1-aired ep to an Amazon-purchased one, and yep, most of the music rights don't carry over to Amazon eps. For example, the end of the first ep, the bar scene, has Princes and Groove is in the Heart in VH1, and generic music for both in Amazon. I've seen at most three of the 'hear the song, buy it' promos over these six episodes.

Edited by Electruck

I would just like to see more insight and thoughtfulness from her. It's not like you know everything by 40, but there is (hopefully) more wisdom from life experience. I think it would be much more interesting to see her working out what she needs to do differently in all areas of her life. It could be a smarter show, while still being fun. Lolly actually seems to take it all more seriously than Becca does.

• Love 1

Or it might be called "free advertising". Sure, they must pay something to use the songs, but for example, not a lot of people are buying Soup Dragons songs on iTunes every day. Playing one song on the show could lead to who knows how many folks saying, "Oh, I loved that song, need to get it!" and buying it 2 minutes later.

It could also be "fair use" where I believe that you can you a short snippet of the song for free...but don't forget, this is VH-1, they used to play music videos of these songs.

I just don't see them touching it. Haven't you guys noticed that they haven't shown the World Trade Center in the numerous skyline shots they've done? I think they're consciously avoiding it. It's not that hard to fake it.

You are so right! I am embarrassed to say that I didn't even think of 9-11 when i was watching this show.  Nothing against 9-11, on one hand, I think this show has enough to deal with without getting into it, but on the other hand, 9-11 was a life changer for at least all the New Yorkers I know.  It almost seems unrealistic that Becca wouldn't say anything to Lollie about it.

Lolly actually seems to take it all more seriously than Becca does.

I agree.  I was so frustrated at the way this episode ended.  I am just two years younger than they are in this show and I was married in 1997.  If nothing else has changed in these 20 years it's that I became much more practical than I was in the 1990's when I was in my 20s....she gets back Sean who she already knows can't take care of her?!?!  I know that sounds shallow, but how much easier would your life be if you didn't have to support your husband?  See, she's stupid.  If I got the chance to go back, I would have immediately went back to college (which was waaayyyyy cheaper in the 1990s) and gotten an education in computers or something that I knew would be super profitable in the 2000's + and not bothered so much with the men.  She obviously ages well, and at 40, when she's rich and self sufficient, she will be able to get any guy she wants.   

Edited by notyrmomma

I thought Becca's job would lead to awesome plot twists and timeline fun, but no, it's back to Awkward. levels of "this guy or that guy?" She shanked Melanie out of Andy and then shanked Paige out of Sean--I'm done with this show. You can't have all the boys, Becca!

The charm has worn off, mostly because of the Mary Sue way the lead character is written. She's Carrie Bradshaw levels of a shitty friend and shitty girlfriend and the show treats her like she farts rainbows.

Bah.

• Love 3

She obviously ages well, and at 40, when she's rich and self sufficient, she will be able to get any guy she wants.

She already seems to get any guy she wants. I'd like to see her get a clue. She's probably the least interesting character on the show.

• Love 1

I'm teetering. Going to watch this week and hope for something better. Maybe Sean will see the light and tell Becca to get over herself.

And what's with this African American guy who keeps popping up and also seems to be time-traveling or acts like he has some supernatural awareness? Please don't tell me that it's all about how one day he and Becca are destined to be together. Please don't make it ALL about which guy she winds up with. YAWN.

I have to laugh. I am about 7 years older than they're supposed to be on this show and while so much of the music is memorable from that time, I hated a great deal of it. Many of those bands ended up in the bargain bin of my CD store with a quickness. 

• Love 1

I have to admit I was surprised by the ending of this episode--I actually didn't see that coming although it's what I've basically been telling my TV (and my hubs watching with me) the whole time.  I feel like maybe (hopefully) Becca has had an epiphany and is doing what she should have done all along (although given her track record she will probably screw it up next episode). I never understood why when she came back in time she didn't see it as a second chance for her and Sean. From what we've been shown so far, he seems to truly love her. If their careers were the only real issue in the marriage then knowledge of the future easily fixes that. I feel like the previous episodes have forgotten the very first one--the fact that it's Becca's doubts about marrying Andy is basically what propels her to the past to begin with. I mean when you try to call up your former best friend that you haven't spoken with in years and say "I think I'm making the same mistake again," why the hell waste so much time in the past trying to get with the very person you aren't sure you want to marry in the future?

• Love 1

I agree. If she truly loves Andy and had wished in the present day that she'd spent more time with him in their younger years then I would understand her heavy push to be with him now. However, my feeling from the first episode was that she was very uncertain about marrying him, almost that she felt she was settling for the "nice guy" who'd always had a crush on her and who she had known for ages.

If she's so bummed over her marriage with Sean not working out but there weren't any bad circumstances (drug or alcohol problems, for example) then why isn't she trying to steer their relationship to a better outcome?

This is what I've been thinking all along. And I also took the first episode the same way you did. She was "settling" for Andy because he was a nice guy and other things in her life didn't work out, but she felt no real spark for him.   That seemed to be further implied when she went back to the past and immediately had sex with Sean to relieve that old connection/attraction that she wasn't getting in the present.   So far Sean seems like a pretty good catch. In the first episode when she talked about her first marriage failing I was expecting him to be a jerk or a cheater that she should have never married in the first place but just didn't see it because she was young. Instead we've been shown a sweet, hot, and talented guy who just can't catch a career break. Makes Becca look like the fool for not trying to make it work and helping him based off her knowledge of the future. 

• Love 3

The charm has worn off, mostly because of the Mary Sue way the lead character is written. She's Carrie Bradshaw levels of a shitty friend and shitty girlfriend and the show treats her like she farts rainbows.

I think the only reason I'm not overly annoyed by how awful Becca is being is because I think the show wants us to see that about her. She has been called out on it by Lolly, particularly, a few times. And she herself has said she knows she's being awful. Now, if she continues to be annoying and never changes or grows, then I'll be overly annoyed and probably stop watching. I don't know though, I really like all the other characters a lot, so they might keep me going even if Becca continues to be the worst.

Please don't make it ALL about which guy she winds up with. YAWN.

I think the pilot made it pretty clear that ultimately that is what the main point of the show is, so I don't feel like they pulled a bait and switch or anything. I had hopes that maybe it would end up really being about Becca and Lolly's relationship though. And I think maybe it still could really. It's only the 6th episode.

... why the hell waste so much time in the past trying to get with the very person you aren't sure you want to marry in the future?

Because she also wasn't sure whether Sean was the right choice either. Now, since she was wondering about Andy and she knew Sean and her didn't work, maybe she should, I don't know, not date either of them this time!

My main problem with the show is actually just that we don't have any idea why or how she went back to the past. I mean it probably has something to do with Xavier, but I wish they'd start spelling some of that out to us, and to Becca, soon.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 2

Wasn't there a reference in the first episode to Sean having cheated previously?

That was Becca, who told Sean that she'd always been faithful to HIM, implying that she'd cheated on previous boyfriends.

I had such high hopes for this show. I couldn't even finish watching last night. When what's his face proposed to what's her face, I'm like, I'm OUT.

Too bad, because I thought the end was very interesting. That other guy Lolly likes showed up at her apartment and Becca answers the door "Kevin?" all shocked like she knows him and he's all "nice to meet you."

So yeah, this guy is totally the catalyst for the big fallout in their friendship. And it may happen sooner than scheduled because Lolly didn't run into him before, because they hadn't gone to the REM concert in the previous timeline.

Edited by kariyaki
  • Love 1

I had to laugh when Becca lost both Andy and Sean in one evening, though I'm not sure Andy and Melanie will make it. They both seem to want to be together to prove that Becca has no influence over them.

I had a hard time telling if Lolly and Becca falling was actually going to happen next week, or if it was a flashback. I'm kind of bummed it's over a dude, but at their age, I guess that's the most likely factor. 

Daphne Zuniga looks fantastic.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 1

Daphne Zuniga looks fantastic.

Yes, she does, and until Phoebe showed up, it hadn't even occurred to me that Daphne was her mom. Having such an alcoholic, flaky mom really does explain a whole lot about Phoebe's personality.

My uncle had a cell phone in the very late 80s or early 90s, the first one he had was huge with a battery pack. It was very expensive though, but one of the first ones commercially available.  My parents had one at least by 1992 or 1993, because my father died in early 1996, and he had the phone for a few years,I think it was a flip or bar phone, like they had through the 2000s, and more like the ones seen on the show.  So they definitely did have phones before 1995.  They still used pagers, too, they were much less expensive at the time, but as text messaging and cell phones became more prevalent the pagers became obsolete. 

Edited by karenc3

My first cell phone was in 2000 but it was already a 5th gen nokia flip phone.  I felt like I was late to the game. I noticed they were already starting to be somewhat common by 1997 though the plans were fairly expensive back then.  There's a line in a song by Lil' Troy called Wanna be a Baller where he says he switched from Motorola to a PrimeCo phone.  PrimeCo was a big Houston cell phone provider back then and this song came out in 1998.  The original Motorola StarTAC flip phone come out on Jan 3 1996, according to Wikipedia.  So there were definitely affordable consumer level cell phones by 1995. 

I liked that we're finally seeing that everything's not going to go Becca's way. She's been pretty selfish, and I get that's the conceit behind the show, but she was making decisions without considering the impact on people around her. She was just expecting Andy to be there for her because they had a spark, and then she changed her mind and decided she wanted to go back to Sean, just taking for granted he still wanted her. I'm simplifying the plot points, but it was nice to see that things are going to happen how she thinks they are just because she does things a certain way. Butterfly effect and she's not omnipotent.

• Love 3

I like seeing that the typical "will I choose this guy or that guy" ended up with Becca having neither of them, by their choice. Good to see that the result of ping ponging between two people that you usually turn off both.

I really hope we move on from both guys. Of course they'll be on the periphery but it's time for Becca to focus on other things, guys, whatever. Bored to death of Becca's brother and his tailspin. I hope he figures a way out of his mess on his own and doesn't need Becca and Lolly to go save him. 

• Love 1

Glad to see her and Sean break up.  No reason to go there because we know it didn't work there last time because all they had was sex.

Andy and Melanie didn't make it last time, so a marriage isn't likely to change that.

I want to Becca move on and live and quit worrying about trying to make everything come out like it did last time.

Liked the dinner and all the cast, but Lolly and Becca's relationship still remains the best thing about the show.

• Love 2

This show has such a great premise but I feel like the execution has become a hot mess. When this episode started off I felt like I’d missed a whole episode in between, which I hadn’t. Last we saw Melanie she was packing her ruby red shoes and leaving the Great Oz Andy while Becca was about to finally work on her relationship with Sean. But they skip over why Melanie decides to stay and what conversations took place between Becca and Sean. And am I asking too much to get an update on her new job?  I think to have a successful show you have to make the protagonist likable and with Becca it’s a real struggle because she does not come off as a woman with 40 some years of life experience. In fact, if it weren’t for the reminders that she knows the future, I’d forget she came from there because she acts too much like her 20 year old self.   I feel like I’m still as clueless as Sean as to why she left him at the alter. The show has thus far established that they had a strong attraction to each other, a great sex life, and even Becca has admitted she’s in love with him. Their problems were money, careers, and the feelings of self worth that come with that. Yet Becca knows all this and can’t address these issues head on?  I fail to see what’s so great about Andy that the girls are “fighting” over him. I’m so over that part of the storyline.  I’m confused on the whole mess with Becca’s brother…so Lolly contributed to his downfall in the past but yet he went away for a year???  And while I’m intrigued with this whole Kevin thing I suspect it will be another eye-roll-worthy storyline.

• Love 2
But they skip over why Melanie decides to stay and what conversations took place between Becca and Sean. And am I asking too much to get an update on her new job?

I agree about feeling like an episode was skipped. The show entertains me but I can't see watching for more than one season. Seems like the kind of show that should have been designed to be 10-12 episodes and done. (Maybe it is?)

I thought maybe with Becca's new job and connections she would help Sean get his art career going and hope to change their fate that way, and yet their relationship would still be troubled by something else. Looks like we'll get more of what happened with Lolly, and that really should be the ultimate focus -- that the relationship you most want to fix is the one with your best friend.

I feel like I’m still as clueless as Sean as to why she left him at the alter. The show has thus far established that they had a strong attraction to each other, a great sex life, and even Becca has admitted she’s in love with him. Their problems were money, careers, and the feelings of self worth that come with that. Yet Becca knows all this and can’t address these issues head on?  I fail to see what’s so great about Andy that the girls are “fighting” over him. I’m so over that part of the storyline.  

I think with Sean, she felt she knew it wouldn't work out, and had been away from him for some time. When she came back into the past, she was still in love with Andy, but had moved on with Sean, that's why she wanted to try to be with Andy sooner. I think when he had his accident, she realized the consequences of messing up timelines too much so went back to Sean.  I agree the writing the past few episodes has been kind of confusing. 

I was thinking about why Becca went back into the past.  I'm wondering if the future Becca is in a coma, from whatever happened in the elevator.   She is dreaming about the past, because maybe she thinks if she had been with Andy sooner, she would have had several years of marriage, which she might not now because she is so sick. In the future, the wedding to Andy must have been cancelled.  When she went back into the past, she broke it off with Sean, and tried to get closer to Andy.  She also knew that Andy's relationship with Melanie wouldn't work out either.   The other reason for her to go back in the dream is because she really misses Lolly also.  

• Love 2

I think with Sean, she felt she knew it wouldn't work out, and had been away from him for some time. When she came back into the past, she was still in love with Andy, but had moved on with Sean, that's why she wanted to try to be with Andy sooner. I think when he had his accident, she realized the consequences of messing up timelines too much so went back to Sean.  I agree the writing the past few episodes has been kind of confusing. 

Yeah, I agree I kinda got that feeling too that she thought (in regards to her marriage to Sean) 'Oh, I know this isn't going to work out, so why bother going down that road again this time around?' meanwhile, she figured she was missing something in the past about Andy. But I guess that's what bugs me about the show because Becca's thought process seems to align more with how a 20 something would think, not a 40 something. Most people by 40 have enough life experience and maturity to deduce that if you have doubts about marrying someone in the present, finding him sooner in the past when your lives were even less aligned isn't going to fix the spark or connection that is obviously lacking. And at the same time someone older would more likely look at their first marriage to a guy they still had feelings for more in terms of 'how can I fix what went wrong?' instead of how fast can I ditch him at the alter. 

• Love 3

Good question. I hadn't thought of it as all a dream but it's certainly a possibility as in this is all in her head as she unconsciously laments the past. If that's the case, maybe that Xavier guy is really her doctor or something. LOL

Although my impressions of the first episode was more that she had cold feet marrying Andy based on her desperate call to reach Lolly where she said she thought she was making the same mistake again with getting married, and that was the catalyst to the past--to get a do-over. (which so far she is messing up really badly IMO)

• Love 2

While I wasn't too happy with Becca getting back with Sean, I like how the episode resolved.  Here's hoping with all that out of the way things pick up.  Perhaps Becca finally realizes that perhaps she should just get out there and meet new people.  

Maybe even a certain med student/soon to be med student who she seems to get along with and not just leave him mid-conversation.

• Love 1

I was in high school around this time and I remember cell phones being very scarce.  My dad got one but it was mostly because he does a lot of house calls and needed a way to keep in contact while he was out.  That said they were quite bulky (i.e. would not really fit in a pants pocket) so I imagine beepers were more of a thing (plus there were still a ton of pay phones out there and they cost only a quarter to make a call).  A few parents did have cell phones but that was it until very late 90's/early 2000's.  So I understand not seeing them.  

Heck, in Seinfeld which ran until 1998 and even 90's Friends we rarely saw any cell phones so they weren't ubiquitous.  

• Love 1

I was in my 30s during the '90s, living in a big city. I remember clearly that a few of my friends had cell phones in summer '96 and then many had them in '97. If Becca had stayed in her job, I'll bet she would have been an "early adopter" because her jerk boss would have wanted to be in constant contact with her, just as he was using the beeper.

Edited by RedHawk

Also to add, I inherited my dad's cell phone when I was able to bring my car to college (2003) and so I know first hand how inconvenient those early cell phones were to schlep around.  It was easier when I had a jacket but damn was it uncomfortable in a pants pocket.  

I'm not sure I agree with RedHawk though.  I feel her original boss wouldn't want to shell out the extra cash to get her a cell phone.  He probably also enjoyed the one way interaction of the beeper.  

• Love 1

I moved to San Francisco (Silicon Valley) in 1995 and didn't have a cell phone until 2003. I works at an Internet company from 1999-2003 and while some had cell phones, certainly not everyone did. None of my friends had them until later, either. We were all in our late 20's as well.

Man, that Melanie is a sour bitch! She's lucky anyone wants to marry her. Her dress at the family dinner was so frumpy. I remember others wearing those dreary dresses back in the day, it's appropriate Debbie Downer wore one.

I thought last night's show was much better as we finally found out what happened with her and Lolly.  I was distracted when I was watching this, but did Becca tell Lolly about her affair with Kevin on New Year's 2004?  If so, nearly 10 years passed and Lolly still didn't make a move on Kevin, but she was so angry that Becca did that they lost their friendship?  That barely makes sense.  Someone please correct me if I am wrong.  

Also, I thought it was interesting that Becca finally left her husband for another man, not due to any specific issue he did.  I wonder what happened with Becca and Kevin's relationship.

• Love 5

I thought last night's show was much better as we finally found out what happened with her and Lolly.  I was distracted when I was watching this, but did Becca tell Lolly about her affair with Kevin on New Year's 2004?  If so, nearly 10 years passed and Lolly still didn't make a move on Kevin, but she was so angry that Becca did that they lost their friendship?  That barely makes sense.  Someone please correct me if I am wrong.  

Also, I thought it was interesting that Becca finally left her husband for another man, not due to any specific issue he did.  I wonder what happened with Becca and Kevin's relationship.

Events in 1995 with Kevin are happening earlier than they did before. But Becca did have the affair with him for six months before she told Lolly about it, meaning Lolly sat and said nothing to him for all that time -- and probably would've done the same here, if Becca hadn't kept pushing her.

At least now we know the story of the fallout. With the added bonus of finding out the catalyst for Becca and Sean finally hitting the skids. But wow, dick move, Becca. I totally understand why Lolly never spoke to her again. Hope Becca can fix it this time. Getting Lolly to stop chickening out about Kevin is a start.

I'm intrigued about the DJ guy with the scar. Becca had great chemistry with him.

• Love 1

Was the music out of whack in this episode? I don't want to be That Guy but I feel like a song or two was too late for the 1995 scenes, but too early for the 2004 ones. Not that it matters; obviously they can listen to older stuff in 2004, and my memory (plus the gin!) could be the thing that's out of whack here. I tend to remember stuff like this in terms of where I was, with whom, what I was wearing and then deducing from those things about what year it would have been. So, yeah--I could be way, way off!

• Love 1

Was the music out of whack in this episode? I don't want to be That Guy but I feel like a song or two was too late for the 1995 scenes, but too early for the 2004 ones. Not that it matters; obviously they can listen to older stuff in 2004, and my memory (plus the gin!) could be the thing that's out of whack here. I tend to remember stuff like this in terms of where I was, with whom, what I was wearing and then deducing from those things about what year it would have been. So, yeah--I could be way, way off!

The Sarah McLachlan song Possession came out in 1993 with her album, but it took a little while to get popular.  My father passed away on Dec 31 2002 and I remember that the Coldplay song "Clocks" was played a lot on the radio at that time so that checks out for 2003.  I don't remember any other specific songs in this episode?

The Sarah McLachlan song Possession came out in 1993 with her album, but it took a little while to get popular.  My father passed away on Dec 31 2002 and I remember that the Coldplay song "Clocks" was played a lot on the radio at that time so that checks out for 2003.  I don't remember any other specific songs in this episode?

Additionally, the Flaming Lips song, She Don't Use Jelly was used in this episode. That came out in 1993 but I remember it not getting any real airplay until 1995. I think this show really does its homework as far as the soundtrack goes.

• Love 1