Type keyword(s) to search

Casting: News & Wishlist

Athena
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, CatMack said:

Ian is going to be another tricky casting call, because the age thing rears it's head again.  He's, what, 14 when he appears?  Even younger than young John, but has to believably play Ian into his 20s (30s? I can't remember how much time has passed since Claire went back).  Unless they try to recast him to age him up when he ends up with the Native tribe, but I don't think he's gone long enough for a recast to feel natural, like it will for John.  So their best bet is probably going to be to look for someone in their early 20s, who can kind of play a teenager (maybe they'll age wee Ian up a couple years so it strains credulity less), but can also be costumed and styled to look older as the years go by.  Actual teenagers just don't look right in ageing makeup (see: the finale Harry Potter movie epilogue).  I was thinking someone like Robert Sheehan, but then remembered how long ago Misfits was and realized he's actually 28 now and looks it.  But maybe someone who looks like Robert Sheehan did back when he was in his early 20s, when he had that in between quality where he could look younger or older depending on what clothes you put him in and how you combed his hair.  

I wasn't familiar with Robert Sheehan before, but he definitely has the Young Ian look about him. Now we just have to find his 5-years-younger doppelganger...

57 minutes ago, WatchrTina said:

I agree with Dejana that Tom Felton is all wrong and I have to say no to Ryan Kwanten (from True Blood) and Charlie Hunnam (from Sons of Anarchy) because they are, in my mind, so uber-heterosexual (due to those roles) that I'd have a hard time accepting them as gay. 

Interestingly, Hunman did play a gay teenager in the original UK Queer as Folk. He actually can do vulnerable and soft when called upon.

Robert Sheehan would make a great young Ian. I saw him in a short lived UK sitcom where he was not playing his usual type of goofy player.

• Love 1
(edited)

Okay, here's a name to throw in the ring for Lord John -- Bradley James.  He played Prince Arthur on the show "Merlin".  He's only 3 years younger than Sam so that's not ideal but he's good looking, 6 feet tall and a nice mix of rugged and pretty.  I've never seen him act so I have no I idea how he carries himself but he looks good on IMDb.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Athena said:

Interestingly, Hunman did play a gay teenager in the original UK Queer as Folk. He actually can do vulnerable and soft when called upon.

I was about to mention that . Still , Hunman is too , I don't know , full on for me . 

I'm getting ahead of things but while I'm thinking about it, I'd like to put forth Tom Ellis as Stephen Bonnet. He's played both Robin Hood and Lucifer so would have the character nailed down.  

Hmm, I watched the first couple of seasons of Merlin and Bradly James is pretty good, but Arthur is more cocky than I see LJ (I haven't seen him in much else to compare). I also think he looks a little young, but I've just finished Book 7 so 40-odd John is freshest in my mind right now.

It really is interesting how these casting suggestions show the difference in our mental pictures of the characters. I always pictured Stephen Bonnet as a slightly younger Sirius Black as played by Gary Oldman. If I was going to go for a more urbane type, can I suggest Aidan Turner? (Assuming he's not going to be tapped to be the next Bond as my googling suggested). Oh, and sticking with the Being Human cast, Russell Tovey is not unlike how I picture Young Ian, or at least Young Ian pre-Mohawks. 

Last thing, thanks for getting me to look up "The Crimson Field". I think our new Roger Mac will do nicely. I also wondered if Alice St Clair, who played Flora, wouldn't work nicely as Marsali. I think she has the spunkiness to pull off the wedding/handfast arc.

18 hours ago, Petunia846 said:

Yeah, I always thought short, fair complexion, fine boned. I did get the impression of a pretty man. Therefore I still vote for Toby Regbo. Perfect size and age compared to Cait and Sam, British, and a good, actor in my opinion. He's even already off the show he was on when I started rooting for him as LJG a couple years ago. He does not though, look anything like the kid they had to play LJG this week, but I guess people change as they grow up, right?

He would work.

• Love 1
(edited)

I decided to look up Laurence Fox (who I dismissed above) and confirmed that he is a couple years older than Sam and slightly taller (by a half-inch, if IMDb is correct for both of them) so I don't think he works for Lord John.  But he might make a good Stephen Bonnet in season 4.  I've seen him play "nice" (on Inspector Lewis where he plays a detective who once contemplated the priesthood) and I've seen him play "not nice" (on Foyle's War, where he played a played a secret English Nazi sympathizer).  It could work.  

But I'm also rather keen on the idea of Tom Hopper (Billy Bones on STARZ's Black Sails) for the role of Bonnet.  He's 5 years younger than Sam, he's 6'5" and he works out.  A lot.  Those arms . . . mon dieu!  If the upcoming season 4 (currently in production) is Black Sails' final season (as some have speculated) then STARZ should definitely toss that pirate right over our way to play a very different kind of pirate in season 4 of Outlander.

Edited by WatchrTina
9 hours ago, WatchrTina said:

Okay, here's a name to throw in the ring for Lord John -- Bradley James.  He played Prince Arthur on the show "Merlin".  He's only 3 years younger than Sam so that's not ideal but he's good looking, 6 feet tall and a nice mix of rugged and pretty.  I've never seen him act so I have no I idea how he carries himself but he looks good on IMDb.

Okay, you found one I can agree with. Heh.

• Love 1

Other than Richard Rankin, who many TV fans were pulling for, this casting/production team has a way of finding actors that most of us either have never heard of or that we've heard of but no one thought of. As audience members, our range of options are narrowed down to people we, personally, have seen in other shows or mediums, unlike the Outlander team which probably casts a very wide net of knowns and "unknowns." So, I'll be shocked if anyone "we" bring up is chosen. 

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, Nidratime said:

Other than Richard Rankin, who many TV fans were pulling for, this casting/production team has a way of finding actors that most of us either have never heard of or that we've heard of but no one thought of. As audience members, our range of options are narrowed down to people we, personally, have seen in other shows or mediums, unlike the Outlander team which probably casts a very wide net of knowns and "unknowns." So, I'll be shocked if anyone "we" bring up is chosen. 

Yeah, that's kinda my thought too. Most of the names being bandied about are known entities and I would be surprised to see them crop up as Lord John. I have faith in the casting team here. So far, they have not disappointed me. While very little of the casting so far actually meets my mental picture of the characters, I think they've found people who embody the characters quite nicely. Which I think is more important than how they look anyway. Height, eye color, hair color and such can be hidden or adjusted in filming, but the essence of the character cannot, IMO. 

It is fun to speculate, though. ;)

• Love 2

Yeah, I don't think many of us think we're actually going to really call any of the casting ahead of time (Richard was a fluke, I'm sure).  It's just fun to think about.  They've done a great job casting so far, especially unknown or little known actors, so I'm sure whoever they find will be fantastic.  Throwing out names and speculation about how they might cast certain characters is just a fun way to pass the time until we hear concrete news, which is probably still months away at least.  

• Love 3

It's funny, Richard was the only actor I really saw in a part and hoped for.  But it is fun to think about!  And they really has done a phenomenal job with casting so far.  

(edited)

Any ideas about filming season 3 and casting ? How long did it take for the first announcements to come through for season 2 ? 

Edited by lianau
(edited)

So, I was correct when I guessed that Ira Behr was not going to be writing for the show after this season based on comments at the writing panel. I walked that back because it could've been misinterpreted but ... true!

ETA: Oh, and five women and three men!

Edited by Nidratime
  • Love 2

He wrote:

Season 1:

The Garrison Commander (1.06) 

By the pricking of my thumb (1.10) 

Wentworth Prison (1.15)

Season 2:

Not in Scotland anymore (2.02)

Prestonpans (2.10)

Hail Mary (2.12)

I liked Prestonpans and I thought Wentworth Prison was okay, too, even though for me it was harder to bear than "To ransom a man's soul" and I don't rewatch it. The Garrison Commander was blatant fan wanking over BJR though and the most boring episode of season 1, next to the whole invented storyline with the duel of the Duke of Sandringham, which was awfully boring, too.

In Episode 2.02 he gave us 10 minutes of a farting King which I thought as completely unnecessary and silly and I hated Hail Mary, because it only had about 5 seconds of Jamie and Claire, but 10 added minutes of BJR instead. 

Prestonpans was a great episode though, I'll give him that. 

• Love 2

To follow up on the new writers/producers:

Luke Shelhaas' most recent work was on The Good Wife.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0770699/

Karen Campbell's most recent work, if I have the right person, was on a show called Unforgettable, which I don't remember. But she also worked on Dexter.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2197624/?ref_=fn_al_nm_2

Joy Blake's most recent work was on Outcast, which sounds appropriate, even if I have no idea what that show was about. She also worked on Criminal Minds and Ghost Whisperer (which might be helpful. ;-)
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1703666/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Shannon Goss' most recent work was on Reign. (She also worked on ER.)
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1557867/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

There are other credits for each person, other than the ones I highlighted. Sounds like a talented group.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Nidratime said:

Karen Campbell's most recent work, if I have the right person, was on a show called Unforgettable, which I don't remember.

Sounds like it was...wait for it...forgettable? *drops the mic* 

• Love 3

I actually watched unforgettable on the recommendation of a new friend from my exercise class.  Unfortunately by the time it was recommended to me there were only a couple of episodes left before it got cancelled.  If I remember correctly it was about a female detective who couldn't forget anything.  Which made her job easier but was a bit difficult to explain to her coworkers.  Interesting concept but apparently didn't appeal to enough people. 

Are any of these writers people of color? I'm glad they have more women writers I was just wondering about the racial make-up of the writers room even though none of the characters are POC so far.

16 minutes ago, maraleia said:

Are any of these writers people of color? I'm glad they have more women writers I was just wondering about the racial make-up of the writers room even though none of the characters are POC so far.

That's a good question. If Willoughby is kept, I hope he - and the other characters, in relating to him - is completely re-written. That part of the book is such a mess.

• Love 2

I don't want to have to see Claire refer to Mr Willoughby as Jamie's "pet Chinaman."  There is so much wrong with the character and the way that everyone  - even Claire & Jamie - treat him that I just can't stand it.  His main purpose in the plot, as far as I can tell, is to teach her enough acupuncture to cure Jamie's seasickness.  Either they can eliminate his seasickness or they can find another way for her learn acupuncture.  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, toolazy said:

I don't want to have to see Claire refer to Mr Willoughby as Jamie's "pet Chinaman."  There is so much wrong with the character and the way that everyone  - even Claire & Jamie - treat him that I just can't stand it.  His main purpose in the plot, as far as I can tell, is to teach her enough acupuncture to cure Jamie's seasickness.  Either they can eliminate his seasickness or they can find another way for her learn acupuncture.  

But that's exactly how Jamie treats him . And to be honest I'd be disappointed if the writers turned Jamie in Mr Enlightened just to be PC about it . It's historical fiction and I'd hate to lose the historical part of it . 

• Love 3

So they have to be heavily in the midst of casting, right? I'm excited to see adult Fergus and Young Ian, of course, but I'm also really excited to see Marsali. She's one of my favorite secondary characters in the series. She's strong in so many ways, and you'd never imagine that at the beginning of Voyageur. And she has one of my favorite non-Jamie-and-or-Claire sentences in the entire series: "I dinna like ye, and I reckon ye ken that, but Da says you're a wisewoman, and I think you're maybe an honest woman, even if ye are a whore, so you'll maybe tell me." They better keep that line in the show.

• Love 7
55 minutes ago, Dust Bunny said:

So they have to be heavily in the midst of casting, right? I'm excited to see adult Fergus and Young Ian, of course, but I'm also really excited to see Marsali. She's one of my favorite secondary characters in the series. She's strong in so many ways, and you'd never imagine that at the beginning of Voyageur. And she has one of my favorite non-Jamie-and-or-Claire sentences in the entire series: "I dinna like ye, and I reckon ye ken that, but Da says you're a wisewoman, and I think you're maybe an honest woman, even if ye are a whore, so you'll maybe tell me." They better keep that line in the show.

I love that line, too.  That's when I kind of fell in love with her.  

On 7/2/2016 at 1:06 PM, Empressv said:

Seems unlikely Tom Felton would be a contender for LJG any longer (if he ever was) - he just signed as a series regular on The Flash. http://tvline.com/2016/06/30/the-flash-tom-felton-season-3-cast-julian-dorn-csi/

At least in the picture, he's not pretty enough.

• Love 2
On 7/12/2016 at 4:08 PM, Dust Bunny said:

I saw Joanna Vanderham in a BBC drama last year called "Banished." It took place in 1770's-1780's Australia and was about the transported convicts so the costume she wore helped me imagine her as a good fit for Marsali. She was also the lead in "The Paradise" on PBS a few years ago. I don't know her age but she's kind of waifish and delicate, with bonus points for being....Scotland-born.

8 hours ago, toolazy said:

I'd have difficulty buying her as a girl of 15, but she looks the part regardless.

Might not be a bad thing .I'm not sure how they will sell 15 year old Marsali marrying 30 year old Fergus.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Dust Bunny said:

See: Geneva Dunsany. According to OutlanderWiki, she was 18 when she died. So there's... that. 

Yeah, but she was 17 when she blackmailed Jamie.  Hopefully they'll age her up. 

• Love 1

I could also see them ageing both Geneva and Marsali to accommodate the adult actresses they will hire for the roles. Both the characters would be believable with a couple more years added to their book ages. For Marsali, even at 18-19 she is still a lot younger than Fergus.

11 hours ago, Dust Bunny said:

See: Geneva Dunsany. According to OutlanderWiki, she was 18 when she died. So there's... that. 

And Jamie would have been 36. I hope that they find an actor who looks 17 because it will complicate that scene. But showing a 36-year-old man who refuses to stop, especially one as pumped as Sam, when a 17-year-old asks him to is going to create an optic that I think the showrunners may try to avoid. They're heavily invested in the trope of Jamie as the King of Men. I could be wrong. They may be counting on the audience excusing Jamie because of the blackmail plot, especially since a high percentage of the population thinks that there's a cutoff point after which a woman has given up her right to say no. And that's all I'm going to say about that because I don't think this is the right thread to get into this. I'm sure there will be lots of opportunities to discuss that scene next year.

• Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, Grashka said:

From where I come from, girl who is 15 years old is legally a woman and can get married (with her parents' permission).

I don't doubt the accuracy of your statement, but assigning a 15-year-old who requires her parents' permission to marry legal status as a woman strikes me as a bit of a contradiction. I suppose the law is making a distinction between a woman and an adult--not for the first time.

Edited by AD55
  • Love 1
On 6/29/2016 at 11:41 PM, toolazy said:

I was initially uncomfortable with Willoughby as presented initially, but I thought perhaps Diana was trying to be clever, in that she shows a sort of prejudicial picture of a Chinese man (remember, this is from Clair's perspective, and she's born in 1918 so not necessarily super enlightened), who then reveals himself to be no less than a master artist, master of chinese medicine, and an exile (like Jamie) to boot.  He has a very high aesthetic sense and is highly educated.  And, importantly, he saves Claire's life at the end of Voyager.  Maybe she didn't really pull it off, but that was my impression of the intent.

• Love 4

Outlander finds its Lord John Grey..... The article has some spoilers for the character and plot for the 3rd season, if people are looking to avoid that.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/08/29/outlander-lord-john-grey-voyager?xid=email-50scoops50days-20160829-readstory

He seemed vaguely familiar and it's because I've seen him on episode of Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries

Edited by Rilla-my-Rilla

They can lighten his hair, but if they do, they'll also have to lighten his eyebrows.

I dunno, I don't care if they do or don't dye his hair.  I always had trouble reconciling DG's description of him being small and fine-boned with being handsome.  Not that you can't be fine-boned and attractive, but I picture "handsome" men to be a bit more rugged.  So I'm fine with the actor.  He is certainly handsome.

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

He luiks NOTHING like how I imagined him, nor does he look anything like the actor who played him  this past season. 

And not for nothing, but the hair color is also wrong.??

He actually looks very close to how I pictured him, just with darker hair which is easily fixed. After all, isn't Sam Heughan blonde? And Caitriona Balfe's hair not naturally curly?

• Love 1

Re: David Berry's previous role on A Place To Call Home:

Spoiler

His character in that show was a closeted gay man in the Australia of the 1950s, and who was "treated" for his "condition." There are links at IMDb, and via search engines about David's portrayal in that role which suggests to me he'll be able to fit into the Lord John Gray of Outlander quite well.

And David is a singer as well.

• Love 1