Type keyword(s) to search

Casting: News & Wishlist

Athena
  • Start Topic

From that article about Fergus:

Spoiler

And here’s a juicy tidbit that EW also learned exclusively: We’ll also meet a new person from Jamie Fraser’s extended family!

Marsali? That's all I can think of from Voyager. Besides people we've already met of course.

15 hours ago, Petunia846 said:

From that article about Fergus:

Hide contents

Marsali? That's all I can think of from Voyager. Besides people we've already met of course.

Oh, of course.  I couldn't imagine who they meant.  I was thinking William, but that's probably not the relative they were referring to.

I am hoping we get to see young Fergus one more time...as isn't he just a few years older when he gets caught by the British bringing that cask to Jamie in hiding?? This new actor (he looks perfect!) will probably pick up the role after Claire returns to the past?

• Love 1
8 hours ago, abbey said:

I am hoping we get to see young Fergus one more time...as isn't he just a few years older when he gets caught by the British bringing that cask to Jamie in hiding?? This new actor (he looks perfect!) will probably pick up the role after Claire returns to the past?

I don't think we've seen the last of young Fergus just yet, I remember reading that somewhere...

• Love 1

There was a funny story from Diana on Compuserve where she shared that Romann Berrux asked her how old Fergus was in book three and she told him 15 to which he replied "I will be 15 next year!"  But then he ran off before she could tell him about the hand.  I'm certain we have not seen the last of Romann as young Fergus.  The "Leap 'O the Cask" is one of the events that Roger is able to track down when he and Claire and Brianna are trying to track Jamie through time.  I'm sure it will be filmed.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 1

Young Ian, Older Fergus... seeing these casting announcements, I feel like it's Jamie nesting before bringing his boys home (we're a couple seasons out before Jamie refers to Roger as his son). Weird way to describe it, but it just gives me a warm fuzzy feeling to imagine the hopefully awesome dynamics Sam has with younger guys. Not to mention a small boy who will probably be cast shortly - if he hasn't been already. After the scene with baby Katherine, my heart will melt into a puddle when William shows up.

Does anyone know if Sam and Cait have seen each other much on set? I was also imagining how interesting it would be if they tried to stay away from each other until the print shop block episodes, for a little method acting experience.  

I'm so excited to meet Marsali! She has her own journey in Voyager. I hope that wedding is as fun as Woody's wedding in "Cheers". 

Edited by Dust Bunny
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, Dust Bunny said:

I was also imagining how interesting it would be if they tried to stay away from each other until the print shop block episodes

I think that is an interesting idea but I don't think it would be very helpful.  When Sam see's Cait after months of separation (not counting e-mails, tweets, texts and phone calls) I presume he'll just be happy to see his good friend and colleague again but Jamie . . . he's seeing the love of his life back from the dead after 20 years.  For me the big question is: will he faint?  I don't think he will -- TVClaire didn't faint after the wedding so there will be no way for her to harken back to that moment by repeating what BookJamie told BookClaire after she woke up "Bad as that is it?"  I figure he's just going to stumble backward in shock, trip, land on a pot of ink and that will eventually lead to his removing his trousers because we just HAVE to have Geordie walk in on them and stalk off in disgust "And it not even NOON yet!"

I had a thought a long time ago about the casting of Marsali and while I don't think they'll do it -- it would be interesting.  What if they cast an older actress to play older (fatter) Laoghaire and re-cast Nell Hudson in a dark wig to play Marsali?  It would make that moment when she bursts through the bedroom door and catches Jamie and Claire "en flagrante delicto" and shouts "Daddy who is that woman!" pretty damn dramatic.  It might even help justify Claire's over-reaction when she rides off afterward (not her finest moment in the book).  Nell is older than 15-year old Marsali but I don't think they plan to have a 15-year old (someone Romann Berrux's age) play a role that involves running away and marrying Fergus.  It would be nice for Nell to play a character we eventually come to like after having to endure all the Laoghaire-hate the last few years and it would be a nod to the Outlander shtick of having a actor play two different, related people.  Sam & Cait both played 10 years younger than their ages in Seasons 1 and two so I think Nell could play younger as well (she was playing younger than her age in season 1 & 2).  Whattayathink?

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, WatchrTina said:

I had a thought a long time ago about the casting of Marsali and while I don't think they'll do it -- it would be interesting.  What if they cast an older actress to play older (fatter) Laoghaire and re-cast Nell Hudson in a dark wig to play Marsali?  It would make that moment when she bursts through the bedroom door and catches Jamie and Claire "en flagrante delicto" and shouts "Daddy who is that woman!" pretty damn dramatic.  It might even help justify Claire's over-reaction when she rides off afterward (not her finest moment in the book).  Nell is older than 15-year old Marsali but I don't think they plan to have a 15-year old (someone Romann Berrux's age) play a role that involves running away and marrying Fergus.  It would be nice for Nell to play a character we eventually come to like after having to endure all the Laoghaire-hate the last few years and it would be a nod to the Outlander shtick of having a actor play two different, related people.  Sam & Cait both played 10 years younger than their ages in Seasons 1 and two so I think Nell could play younger as well (she was playing younger than her age in season 1 & 2).  Whattayathink?

Oooh, I think that could be very interesting. It would also be a way to keep Nell Hudson on the show more regularly and would also fit with how Tobias has played two completely different characters who only happen to look alike. I really like this idea, which means, it won't happen. I never get what I want. ;) 

Sorry, but no, no, nope. The last thing this show needs is another actor playing two characters. I dislike the choice to do it with Frank/BJR, and I don't see the point of it with Nell when I'm sure there are plenty of pretty, young actresses to pick from. Someday she'll be cast in a lovely role on some other show and get a nice fan following there.

• Love 1
On 9/21/2016 at 10:53 AM, Nidratime said:

With the subsequent mention of William, I wonder if this is baby William?

Really really really like the look of the actor chosen for adult Fergus. I mean, really really!

I also think Jamie's "extended family member" is Marsali. I don't think book-Marsali is a mirror of Laoghaire in looks, just clearly a resemblance and blonde. So I also hope they cast a good actor with enough of a likeness to Nell Hudson to pull off being "related" and can still fill out the Marsali character for the future seasons.

7 hours ago, WatchrTina said:

I think that is an interesting idea but I don't think it would be very helpful.  When Sam see's Cait after months of separation (not counting e-mails, tweets, texts and phone calls) I presume he'll just be happy to see his good friend and colleague again but Jamie . . . he's seeing the love of his life back from the dead after 20 years.  For me the big question is: will he faint?  I don't think he will -- TVClaire didn't faint after the wedding so there will be no way for her to harken back to that moment by repeating what BookJamie told BookClaire after she woke up "Bad as that is it?"  I figure he's just going to stumble backward in shock, trip, land on a pot of ink and that will eventually lead to his removing his trousers because we just HAVE to have Geordie walk in on them and stalk off in disgust "And it not even NOON yet!"

God, I hope not. I'm sorry to say that my attitude towards Laoghaire has spilled over onto Nell Hudson and I really don't want to continue to see her on my television.  

• Love 3

Re: the broken nose - that may fall into the same category as them marking each other's hands.  From a makeup/prosthetic standpoint a broken nose/bump would be hard to replicate for every scene.  They already have to do so much for Jamie's various scars, I wouldn't be surprised if they left that out altogether, even though I love that line (and Jamie's reply "about five minutes after I last saw you, Sassenach") and that part of the reunion. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, emilyplum said:

Re: the broken nose - that may fall into the same category as them marking each other's hands.  From a makeup/prosthetic standpoint a broken nose/bump would be hard to replicate for every scene.  They already have to do so much for Jamie's various scars, I wouldn't be surprised if they left that out altogether, even though I love that line (and Jamie's reply "about five minutes after I last saw you, Sassenach") and that part of the reunion. 

I feel bad for the people who have to write that scene because there's no way that they're going to make everyone happy - it's not possible to hit all the beats that readers are going to want to see.  

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, morgan said:

Marsali is perfect!  Interesting that the article says the character is 18

I saw that too in the Entertainment Weekly article. I guess they don't feel like dealing with the Fergus character marrying an underage character. I wonder if they'll switch the birth order of her daughters (Joan was older I think I remember) or leave out Joan altogether.

I'm a little confused, a little concerned by Twitter today.  A cute exchange between young and old Fergus, but leaves me with the impressions that young Fergus isn't in season 3 at all?  Am I missing something?  Reading too much into it?  

Lauren Lyle is beautiful, and she does look a bit like Nell Hudson. She and Cesar are going to be so cute together. I'm glad they aged Marsali up a couple years. Nothing is really lost, and it's one less issue that unnecessarily needs to develop. It'll be fun to see a protective step-father. I always loved the parental dynamics on the ship.

We still don't have confirmation there is a Duncan, right?

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, morgan said:

A cute exchange between young and old Fergus, but leaves me with the impressions that young Fergus isn't in season 3 at all?

Alas, I just got home and found my copy of Entertainment Weekly with Sam on the cover, which also says that Romann Berrux "won't be back."  What?  Mon Dieu!  Does that mean we are NOT going to see the "Leap 'O the Cask" incident?  Does this perhaps mean that Fergus will not lose his hand?  If so, that's going to be a problem during a certain trial where his lack of a hand is central to the outcome.  Then again, they can probably just skip that trial.

The lack of wee Fegus was the big shock of the EW story -- that and the fact that we're going to see what happens during the Battle of Culloden -- including Jamie's fight with Black Jack -- even though Book!Jamie can't remember it.

My speculation was wrong -- Nell Hudson will not be playing Marsali.  That's probably for the best.  Now I wonder if they will put her in a fat suit and aging makeup to contrast the way she's aged (having lived through the aftermath of Culloden and an abusive husband) vs. Claire's 20 years of healthy eating and good oral hygiene.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 1

Yeah saw that in ew too about Romann, but convinced myself it couldn't be.  Then I saw the Twitter stuff.  Sad to think we will miss so much, even though I have known all along they will need to severely condense.

2 hours ago, WatchrTina said:

Alas, I just got home and found my copy of Entertainment Weekly with Sam on the cover, which also says that Romann Berrux "won't be back."  What?  Mon Dieu!  Does that mean we are NOT going to see the "Leap 'O the Cask" incident?  Does this perhaps mean that Fergus will not lose his hand?  If so, that's going to be a problem during a certain trial where his lack of a hand is central to the outcome.  Then again, they can probably just skip that trial.

The lack of wee Fegus was the big shock of the EW story -- that and the fact that we're going to see what happens during the Battle of Culloden -- including Jamie's fight with Black Jack -- even though Book!Jamie can't remember it.

My speculation was wrong -- Nell Hudson will not be playing Marsali.  That's probably for the best.  Now I wonder if they will put her in a fat suit and aging makeup to contrast the way she's aged (having lived through the aftermath of Culloden and an abusive husband) vs. Claire's 20 years of healthy eating and good oral hygiene.

Couldn't they just have the older actor play out that sequence? Wouldn't Fergus have been at least 17-18 when it happened anyway: Claire and Jamie meet Fergus when he was 10, time passes before Culloden, and it's toward the end of the 7 years when the Redcoats attack him.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 5

I suppose the older actor could play Fergus for "leap O the Cask" incident, but when I picture it in my mind I always see Romann as Fergus.  Oh well, as long as they include the scene I will be happy.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, morgan said:

Yeah saw that in ew too about Romann, but convinced myself it couldn't be.  Then I saw the Twitter stuff.  Sad to think we will miss so much, even though I have known all along they will need to severely condense.

Although, are they condensing if they're shooting stuff that's not in the book like Culloden? Maybe they're skipping over the cave-dwelling altogether and just sending Jamie off to prison right away? I guess that can work, but there's a lot of character development they're skipping over.

6 hours ago, Dejana said:

Couldn't they just have the older actor play out that sequence? Wouldn't Fergus have been at least 17-18 when it happened anyway: Claire and Jamie meet Fergus when he was 10, time passes before Culloden, and it's toward the end of the 7 years when the Redcoats attack him.

It's not only toward the end of the 7 years, but it's the incident that convinces Jamie to give himself up. So, yeah, Fergus is at least 17, probably closer to 19. So, I think the older actor does work better. It is more horrifying imagining it happening to a younger Fergus, though.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 2
38 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

Although, are they condensing if they're shooting stuff that's not in the book like Culloden? Maybe they're skipping over the cave-dwelling altogether and just sending Jamie off to prison right away? I guess that can work, but there's a lot of character development they're skipping over.

It's not only toward the end of the 7 years, but it's the incident that convinces Jamie to give himself up. So, yeah, Fergus is at least 17, probably closer to 19. So, I think the older actor does work better. It is more horrifying imagining it happening to a younger Fergus, though.

TPTB often have very different ideas of what's important about the story, to adapt. They're adding in military sequences and I think we're going to be getting a big dose of ships, and I never really cared so much about that stuff in Voyager, though every fan is different. Also, maybe they took one look at Sam's dye job and figured no one would ever believe he'd need a Dunbonnet to hide that. :)

• Love 1

Yeah, they will definitely take the story to different places than the book did.  I'm going with the mindset of looking forward to it, all the new bits, instead of moping about what won't make it in.  Oh who am I kidding, I will mope a bit.  But I am trying to just see it all as positive.  The hardest part will be seeing the stuff with BJR, mainly because I am just so over him.  Go away already!  And it does feel a bit odd to have the question of "what happened at culloden" answered when it hasn't been in the books.  

As for Fergus, I can see that it does make sense to have the leap o the cask be the older stuff, but I do wish we had another chance to see Romann in the role.  I wonder then if we won't see Jenny nursing Jamie back to health/fixing his leg.  

• Love 1

By the time of the Leap O the Cask, Jamie's been in the cave at least 5-6 years right?  If that's the case, it makes sense to go ahead and use the older actor I think (as Fergus should be...late teens by then, right?).  It might be jarring to switch up the Ferguses in the middle of a single episode (I highly doubt they're going to spread the dunbonnet stuff out over more than one episode as it is just SO SAD).

Edited by emilyplum
  • Love 2

I'm pretty excited about the casting. Re LJG, I have so say, despite having read the books several times its only in my most recent reading that the idea of LJG being shortish and delicate looking really caught my attention. As a result, colouring aside I think the casting here is right on the nose. He's very much how LJG from Voyager on looked in my head. He's very handsome, but in a very different way to Sam's Jamie and I think that contrast is the main key to the differences in their physical presences.

Both Fergus and Marsali are almost exactly perfect (my only question with the latter will be how effectively they age up Nell Hudson because right now they look like sisters, its a very good physical match)

1 hour ago, morgan said:

Just saw Romann tweet about being happy to be back in Scotland for season 3!  Glad we will get a wee bit of him before adult Fergus takes over the role.

Now I'm confused.  

I'm not.  It makes sense.  He most likely won't be in more than an episode or 2, but happy to have him.  They need to show Jamie's recovery in Lallybroch, at least a small part of it, and not to see Fergus when he gets home would be strange.  They could still use adult Fergus for Leap O' the Cask, although part of me thinks that adult Fergus won't be seen until Claire sees him when she returns.  

• Love 3

I just read the same re Romann Berrux. I'm assuming that maybe they'll keep Wee Fergus for the Dunbonnet stuff and then from Edinburgh on it will be adult Fergus.  Even though in the book timeline Fegus is mid to late teens and could reasonably (ish) we played by his older versin I do think that part will be more powerful with the younger version, both in terms of audience attachment (I can't imagine Leap will happen more than 2-3 episodes in) and the power of the imagery.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, morgan said:

I'm not.  It makes sense.  He most likely won't be in more than an episode or 2, but happy to have him.  They need to show Jamie's recovery in Lallybroch, at least a small part of it, and not to see Fergus when he gets home would be strange.  They could still use adult Fergus for Leap O' the Cask, although part of me thinks that adult Fergus won't be seen until Claire sees him when she returns.  

I get that but I had the impression from things I read yesterday that Romann wasn't going to be on the show in season 3.  Regardless, I'm very happy to hear that's not the case because it would be too heartbreaking if our last shot of him is him leaving J&C to go to Lallybroch.  

Actually , I think Hector is a huge part of John's life and important to understand John's background and personality  . He was his first love and losing him at Culloden was such a major event for him , he's still wearing Hectors ring 10 years later and  isn't sure how he'll react to being around Scottish accented people. He also asks Hector if it's ok for him to fall in love with a guy (Jamie) who might have killed him  .

• Love 3

I wonder if Hector will be like Jamie's father during the lashing?  I wonder if we will see him killed at Culloden, but won't know the significance of him right away?  Will learn more about him either later this season or next?  

Ha!  Love Rankin!

Edited by morgan
  • Love 1

Something I had not realized about César Domboy -- The Walk is that film released last year about high-wire artist Philippe Petit crossing between the old World trade Center Twin Towers on a cable in 1974. César played one of the characters on the support team.