Type keyword(s) to search

Casting: News & Wishlist

Athena
  • Start Topic

(edited)
On 6/7/2016 at 1:02 AM, WatchrTina said:

I'm also rather keen on the idea of Tom Hopper (Billy Bones on STARZ's Black Sails) for the role of [Stephen] Bonnet.  He's 5 years younger than Sam, he's 6'5" and he works out.  A lot.  Those arms . . . mon dieu!  If the upcoming season 4 (currently in production) is Black Sails' final season (as some have speculated) then STARZ should definitely toss that pirate right over our way to play a very different kind of pirate in season 4 of Outlander.

Okay I'm quoting myself from last June because Tom Hopper and Sam Hughes tweeted one another today (I follow them both on Twitter).  Maybe they met because Outlander is using the Black Sails ship sets right now (which BTW, I totally speculated back in 2014 or so).  Or maybe they met at a gym because the tweets were work-out related.  But I want to speculate that they know each other because Tom is being considered for a role in season 4 of Outlander (now that Black Sails is over).  Tom's role on Black Sails took a dark turn in the fourth season after starting off the series as the designated "nice guy." I now have an even easier time envisioning him as the amoral Stephen Bonnet.

Edited by WatchrTina
On 10/4/2016 at 7:31 AM, abbey said:

I suppose the older actor could play Fergus for "leap O the Cask" incident, but when I picture it in my mind I always see Romann as Fergus.  Oh well, as long as they include the scene I will be happy.

I think they probably have to.  Fergus being crippled, and how that affected a man in his time, truly defined a lot about his and Marsali's relationship...

12 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

They guy they cast for Bonnet looks too young. That asshat was in his 30s, and this guy looks like he's in his 20s. Too baby-face-ish. Maybe they'll make him look older?

Starz has a pretty good history with turning good-looking actors into rugged pirates (a la Black Sails), so I'm sure it can be done.

• Love 2

Ed Speleers is 29 and his IMDB profile photo looks appropriately scurrilous so maybe he can be "scruffed up" at bit..  Yes, Maria Doyle Kennedy was fabulous in The Tudors and Orphan Black (boo hiss to her Downton Abbey Vera Bates character).  I saw her in a British miniseries about 15 years ago but looking through her IMDB credits didn't jog my memory.  She is a great actress.

So nice to get a little peek into next season.

Edited by Clawdette
  • Love 1

Jimmy the Footman/Eragon as Stephen Bonnet? I don't know about that, as much as I've never found the character to be interesting at all, even by evil villain standards. I guess we'll just have to see.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Dejana said:

Jimmy the Footman/Eragon as Stephen Bonnet? I don't know about that

Yeah me neither.  But then I harken back to when Sam was cast as Jamie and I can almost hear myself thinking: "Prince Ashton from Hallmark's 'A Princess for Christmas' as Jamie? I don't know about that."  So I will reserve judgement.  But yeah, he's really not fitting into my mental image of the chronically wicked Stephen Bonnet.

• Love 1

I too am laughing at Jimmy the footman as Stephen Bonnet.  Will show great range for the actor if he pulls it off.  And since I’ve loved 85-90% of the cast chosen I have high hopes!  I do still think that what’s-his-name Irish guy that tried to blackmail Jamie/Ian killed in season one would have made an excellent Bonnet!  

• Love 2

The actor cast to play Andrew MacNeil. I was wracking my brain (since I didn't have my Kindle near by) to who that character was, but I think he's relatively minor in the overall story, similar to Cameron the lawyer, unless they plan to beef up the role.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/2207548/outlander-series-four-casting-news-sam-heughan-craig-mcginlay-andrew-macneil/

Oh, and the Judith Wylie character was cast. I think we only see her once or twice. Her brother Phillip has a bigger role. I wonder who they will get for him?

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/2213007/outlander-caitriona-balfe-rival-ainsley-jordan-series-four-casting/

Edited by Glaze Crazy
Another casting

Alec Newman has been cast in the role of Joseph  Weymss, a character who appears in Drums of Autumn and later on in the books.

Alec First came to my attention almost 20 years ago in the SYFY miniseries adaptation of Frank Herbert’s Dune series in 2000 and 2003 and  is known as Toby Pullings in Fearless and Leon Tell in The Bastard Executioner. And he’s Scots born in Galsgow. 

20 hours ago, theschnauzers said:

Alec Newman has been cast in the role of Joseph  Weymss, a character who appears in Drums of Autumn and later on in the books.

Alec First came to my attention almost 20 years ago in the SYFY miniseries adaptation of Frank Herbert’s Dune series in 2000 and 2003 and  is known as Toby Pullings in Fearless and Leon Tell in The Bastard Executioner. And he’s Scots born in Galsgow. 

Lizzie's dad, right?

The choice for Lizzie is pretty good, visually. And a Hobbit! Surprised that Billy Boyd wasn't spoiled sooner. Another interesting visual when they put him next to 6 ft. Sam, LOL. I like the choice for Gayle too. Helps to emphasize the discomfort and distaste in having slaves attending to Claire and Brianna in the past when it's shown how they both had close AA friends in the future.  

• Love 1

Brianna's friend in Boston. She goes with Brianna to pick up Roger at the airport and maybe another scene or two. Very small part in the books, more of just a college friend of Brianna for that part of the story.

On 5/23/2018 at 1:45 PM, Glaze Crazy said:

Brianna's friend in Boston. She goes with Brianna to pick up Roger at the airport and maybe another scene or two. Very small part in the books, more of just a college friend of Brianna for that part of the story.

Ugh.  Why even bother?

On 5/24/2018 at 9:59 PM, toolazy said:

Ugh.  Why even bother?

I don't know. Even though Gayle is a very minor character, I think it's important to show Bree's life without Claire and all to help flesh out her as a character. Plus, I found Gayle to be good in setting the tone of the times. She was so very "American," for a lack of better word.

• Love 2

I am extraordinarily happy about Billy Boyd!!  Also, I'm hoping they actually pronounce his last name.  A few of my Scottish folks have insisted that Forbes should be pronounced "For-bish" but that sounds so odd to my American ears.

(edited)
On 5/17/2015 at 8:24 PM, areca said:

Edit:  That Amber girl is PERFECT for Bree.  Not too pretty, but still striking.  So's the Sharon girl.  I think I'm going to rest easy about the casting - their casting director's amazing and going to get it right.

Bahahahaha.  BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA.  -SNORT!- 

OMG, I was such the sweet summer child...

Edited by areca
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1