Type keyword(s) to search

Casting: News & Wishlist

Athena
  • Start Topic

The good thing about Madden though, is that while a lot of people see the story as belonging to Jamie and Claire, Roger and Bri take the lead for a good long time. Madden could carry that and bring fans as well.

I actually think I would like Roger more if he were played by Madden. I think Madden has certain easy sweet charisma that would even make the Roger Mac character better.

It won't be for a couple more books, but I am looking forward to the casting of Young Ian the most. 

I'll bet someone has already suggested this but how about Alexander Skarsgard (Eric Northman from True Blood) as Stephen Bonnet from Book 4?  He's tall enough to loom menacingly over Brianna no matter how tall an actress they cast. And he knows how to play a complicated bad guy. The only problem is that he's probably too expensive at this point.  The other problem?  He looks a lot like Sam.  When Sam's hair is blonde those two could totally play brothers.  But maybe that could amp up the tension in a creepy, subconscious way.  After all, Jamie lets Bonnet go the first time they meet (when Bonnet is fleeing his scheduled hanging) because he (Jamie) recognizes something of himself in the smuggler, Bonnet.  Having the role played by a guy who kind of resembles Jamie might be really interesting.

I've liked Skarsgard for awhile and would like to see him on this show. Not sure if Bonnet would be that character though. I don't think Skarsgard is looking to be on TV again.

For those of us who have been rooting for Richard Rankin (cute Scottish actor from The Crimson Field) to play Roger, he just tweeted a somewhat cryptic message on Twitter.  Richard was just hired for a new TV series in the UK and someone tweeted congrats to him and bummed that he won't be playing Roger to which Richard tweeted back "never say never" hmmmmm.......stay tuned, perhaps? 

Okay...that guy is super hot, but I always pictured the French king as late middle-aged, a little soft, pale, and just generally unattractive. Do I have bad reading comprehension skills or are they changing things up a bit from the book? I have no idea how old he would actually have been historically at that time or what paintings of him look like or whatever. Most of the casting news has been super spot on with my mental images, but this one throws me for a loop a little. Super hot though!

• Love 1
(edited)

Per Wikipedia Louis XV was born in 1710 so would be 34-35 in 1744-45.  Age wise he's close.  I had also pictured him as older in the book and never checked the dates until this casting, LOL.  I also thought it was Jonathan Rhys Meyers (again, same for the Comte actor) in the picture.  It must just be a "type" these actors fit into, I guess.

Edited by Glaze Crazy

Ooh La La! Look what was just posted on EW's website. The actor who's playing King Louis XV.

(Lucky Claire. ;-)

Will this man be a royal pain for Claire? Outlander casts King Louis XV for season 2

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/07/27/outlander-season-2-louis-xv-lionel-lingelser?hootPostID=3e733abce235ace9e3da3c34a5347812

Eh. He's okay. Sam be a much better lookin' man, aye?*

*Not that I'm biased or anything!

Here is Louis XV in 1745:

TFUSbPpl.jpg

I think they did well. In fact, they cast someone who is better looking than real Louis. In the books, DG describes Louis as more middle aged. But as some readers have noted, most of the male characters in the book are not described as handsome when Claire really only has eyes for Jamie. Still, Louis is not the best looking Royal in DiA.

I really like how they are casting real French actors. I can't wait until we get to France where the French, wine, and intrigue will flow.

• Love 1

Just saw this tweeted by TV-Line. Don't quite understand the last paragraph in terms of the show currently -- unless they're just referencing future developments from future seasons. This is a book/spoiler thread so I won't give any big warnings about reading this article.

Outlander Is Finally Casting Brianna — and Why the Timing Is Verra Interesting

https://tvline.com/2015/08/25/outlander-brianna-cast-season-2-timeline-change/

Just saw this tweeted by TV-Line. Don't quite understand the last paragraph in terms of the show currently -- unless they're just referencing future developments from future seasons. This is a book/spoiler thread so I won't give any big warnings about reading this article.

Outlander Is Finally Casting Brianna — and Why the Timing Is Verra Interesting

https://tvline.com/2015/08/25/outlander-brianna-cast-season-2-timeline-change/

I was just about to post this. I did some serious eye rolling at some of the descriptions for her character. Like this one:

with an effortless charm and sparkling sense of humor

BAH! Certainly not in the buiks. But maybe for the series.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule

...actresses who can play Brianna as “earthy and grounded and not girly” but “with the inexperience and vulnerability” that accompanies being a rather young woman

If they can find an actress who will bring this to the role, I'm IN, I'm so IN.  

Regarding that last part - meet me in the S2 spec thread for my ideas about it.

No offense, but Rose Leslie did nothing for me, and I loathed her character on Game of Thrones.

This show has been very guid casting unknowns, and I think I would prefer it if they would continue to do so. That way, there are no expectations or baggage.

• Love 1

I hope height isn't too much of a dealbreaker as far as casting goes. Because I'd rather have somebody good than somebody who fits the physical description but can't act her way out of a paper bag.

• Love 4

I hope height isn't too much of a dealbreaker as far as casting goes. Because I'd rather have somebody good than somebody who fits the physical description but can't act her way out of a paper bag.

Duncan Lacroix (Murtaugh) is a good example of this. In the buik, Murtaugh is described, constantly, as a short, rat-like faced man. A tiny man.  And Duncan looks at least 6 feet tall.  And he ain't tiny or short!

• Love 2

Not to get into an argument, but the only things that told me that Bree is Jamie's child is the fact that she's a female version of him in looks and the temper. That's it. She's not as complex as Jamie. 

As for Tobias, I'd totally forgotten that he was Brutus in Rome, never heard of Graham until someone here pointed out he was in Highander (the movie or series, I cannot recall) and the only other show I know Lotte from is from The Borgias.  For me? 99% of the cast was not known to me. And I actually liked that.  But to each their own.

• Love 2

For me? 99% of the cast was not known to me. And I actually liked that.  But to each their own.

Me, too, GHScorpiosRule   The only cast members that I had heard of/recognized were Reverend Wakefield (from Four Weddings and A Funeral and The Vicar of Dibley) and the Duke of Sandringham (Also from Four Weddings and A Funeral) .  The rest were complete and total unknowns to me .   I also like it because the casting of this show is sooooo good and it appears they REALLY look at who will fit the part vs who will "pull" in a larger audience in the US.  

Quick question: Is Roger Scottish in the books? 

• Love 1

Quick question: Is Roger Scottish in the books? 

Yes. When he first meets Bree and Claire, he sometimes rolls his (how the hell do you type this correctly?!) rrrs. Or when he gets emotional, his Scots comes out, if you will. And it's full blown by the time...well, I'll leave it at that, since this is more a question that should go in the Ask a Question thread.

• Love 2

When I pictured Bree I imagined an Emma Stone-type - spunky up the wazoo.  I can't think of any actresses who fit that bill so maybe there is an unknown who will be a good fit.  Molly Quinn has the red hair but isn't tall enough.  

I couldn't picture anyone in the role of Roger but I can see his hair.  I hope they get that right.

ETA:  I just remembered that I did have a Roger in mind but I discarded it because I knew that wouldn't happen.  Theo James.  I loved his short-lived CBS series. Golden Boy.

Edited by Clawdette

Sounds like on the show it'll be a more likable/approachable Bree. If so, everyone wins. Especially Roger.

Casting has been spot-on so far, so I'm sure they'll find the right match. Hair dye is a magical thing.

• Love 2

Molly Quinn has the red hair but isn't tall enough.  

I've felt for a long time that this is a shame since she is closest to my vision of Bree facially and how she plays her character on Castle.  Wish they could magically add about 5" to her height.

• Love 1

When I read the books I picture someone like Jessica Chastain = Bree.  As the casting call says, height is more important than hair color.  I imagine Scotland (or Britain) is teeming with tall fair skinned actresses with or without red hair.

I do wonder what accent they are looking for.  Bree was raised in 1950/60s Boston but it would be SO jarring to have Bree have a Boston accent.  I do think they will look at both American and British actresses but I'll bet we will end up with an American who uses her own accent.  

• Love 1

I picked this up from the Compuserve forum.  http://timetravelingsilkie.tumblr.com/  Supposedly it's a copy of the actual casting call.  Not sure if that's true or not. 

I had been hoping the "Brianna secretly follows her mother back in time" thing was taken out of context and was just to let the actors know it would be a multi-season role. But the way this was written maybe it wasn't and they really are going to mind meld events from three books into this season.  It makes me a little queasy to think they could screw around with the timeline of events this much.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised.  I remember thinking "Jamie and Ian join The Watch" was a typo when I first read the description of The Watch in Season 1 because that sure didn't happen in the books.

• Love 1

I picked this up from the Compuserve forum.  http://timetravelingsilkie.tumblr.com/  Supposedly it's a copy of the actual casting call.  Not sure if that's true or not. 

I had been hoping the "Brianna secretly follows her mother back in time" thing was taken out of context and was just to let the actors know it would be a multi-season role. But the way this was written maybe it wasn't and they really are going to mind meld events from three books into this season.  It makes me a little queasy to think they could screw around with the timeline of events this much.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised.  I remember thinking "Jamie and Ian join The Watch" was a typo when I first read the description of The Watch in Season 1 because that sure didn't happen in the books.

Response taken to Season 1 discussion.

I would take that line for exactly what you said - advising the actor that there is more to the story other than the link they provide for background.  If you take a look at that background link, you'll see that they refer the agent/talent to the Dragonfly in Amber Wikipedia page.  The additional info is likely to let them know that there is more to the story than what's on that page.

• Love 1

I'm just glad to read that they are only considering actresses 5'8" and over.  She doesn't have to be 6'0" like in the book (though I'd prefer that) but she does need to look like she could be the offspring of Cait & Sam and they are both tall.

• Love 1

Ye forgot Wee Roger.  That's what Jamie called him from time to time.

Jamie calls a lot of people wee .

Sometimes he calls Lord John wee pervert

Sounds like on the show it'll be a more likable/approachable Bree. If so, everyone wins. Especially Roger.

Casting has been spot-on so far, so I'm sure they'll find the right match. Hair dye is a magical thing.

I want Brianna to be Brianna , not  Bree with all her edges polished off .

• Love 1
Wonder why no mention of Roger in the recent casting articles? It seems they'd cast them together to ensure the actors have the right chemistry.

A good question to ask ... someone, if we ever get the chance.

I think Dust Bunny could be right.  The height requirement alone is going to eliminate a huge portion of the applicant pool -- then add the requirement that the actress at least be plausible as the offspring of Sam & Cait.  It's a tall order for a casting agent (Heh, "tall order").  But I also have a theory that Roger has secretly already been cast -- that they found him through less public channels -- and that the call out for Brianna is because they didn't find her via the initial, quiet search.  That situation would mirror what happened with Sam and Cait.  They found Jamie right away but Claire took forever.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 3

Well also, Roger is Scottish and they're in Scotland. It's very likely that they found him already because they're swimming in the pool of people they need to look in for the part. Brianna being American (plus with the physical characteristics that limit the part) means they need to cast a more public net.

I was thinking the same thing, WatchrTina and kariyaki that they may have Roger already.  I keep remembering how long it took them to cast Claire, I think they were just a few weeks away from filming when they finally found Caitriona.   

Casting tapes of Brianna auditions are showing up online. Here's a few of them. http://www.tvrecapalooza.com/2015/09/brianna-auditions-underway-for-outlander.html?m=1

It's fun to see the different tacks they take. The two performances I like out of that group are Natalie Oliver and Lindsay Chambers, but I think at 5'8" they might be too short. Lindsay is probably my favorite though. Shannon McLemore has the facial structure I envisioned in my head when I read Bree. Jordan Birkland looks way too much like a model. Alexandra Lovelace looks young enough to have an age difference between her and Cait & Sam. 

The chances of any of those gals being cast is nil, but it's fun to see a taste of the auditions out there. I had to remind myself these actresses might not know Bree was raped, based on this particular dialogue. So that might change their interpretation later on.

I wonder if it kind of sucks to be in casting in the age of social media - think of all the spamming they must get as people "campaign" for the role. 

Edited by Dust Bunny
  • Love 1

Dust Bunny, thanks for putting up that link.  Of those, Molly Ritter really rocked it for me.  She looks a wee bit too old, but her performance was very much in keeping w/ the style of the acting on the show and she could go toe-to-toe w/ Cait and Sam.  I fear the other girls would get steam-rollered.  I wonder if she's related to John Ritter??

Dust Bunny, thanks for putting up that link.  Of those, Molly Ritter really rocked it for me.  She looks a wee bit too old, but her performance was very much in keeping w/ the style of the acting on the show and she could go toe-to-toe w/ Cait and Sam.  I fear the other girls would get steam-rollered.  I wonder if she's related to John Ritter??

No, she's not related to John; well, she's not his daughter, at any rate. I ken because I just checked on imdb.

I know wee Fergus has been cast.  But when I imagined young adult Fergus I saw Henry Cavill as he appeared in The Count of Monte Cristo.  Dark, wavy hair and terribly handsome.  I'd like them to find someone who resembles young Henry.

I would love to know who auditioned for the role of Claire.  I know the actress's who play Jenny and Laoghaire did a screen test with Sam, but I wonder if anyone who was not so unknown (at least to US audiences) tried out.  I was watching the Hobbit recently (to see Aiden Turner from Poldark and good gracious he's hunky as a dwarf too!) and Evangaline Lily is also in the Hobbit movies and was in the tv show Lost.  I was thinking she looks like she could have pulled off Claire, but then I realized that maybe I think that because she looks a lot like Caitriona. 

Anyone have any inside scoop as to who else beside Jenny and Laoghaire auditioned for Claire?

I believe Lotte who plays Geillis did too.  Ron Moore said in an interview that when they saw her audition for Claire they knew right away that she was Geillis.    How do you spell that name Giellis or Geillis??????

• Love 1

Should give Brianna Barnes or Alexandria the part now.  There's a couple more that are posted in the comment section on that page.  Sarah Coffey isn't bad.   

Edited by areca